Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 19, 3:23 PM

Dec 2018
Reply to Apratim
How is 9S alive bruh?? I need explanations?? is it the same thing like he had more clone bodies and now just different memory???
@Apratim This is explained early on but it's a long time ago narratively speaking. They have black boxes, when they got swarmed by the machines you see them touching them together, causing a nuclear explosion. They can actually do this on their own, but they chose to do it together which is romantic in a sense. Anyways, their data is uploaded to the base. Communication was cut off but only two way, so it was able to go back to the server which automated their "revival" in new prefab bodies. 9S has actually "died" hundreds of times, mostly at the hands of 2E. It's not that his memory is different, but it is. The bunker for S units has save states stored, so when they are killed by E units they revert to that save state and for them it's like nothing else had happened. Like a factory reset essentially. But this is only if the order is given. Without that order, if 9S or any other unit is killed, as long as their data reaches the bunker they retain their memories in a new prefab body clone.

One more thing just to clarify in case anyone tries to find a loophole: when the Android units defect from YorHa, they are cut off from the bunker completely, and honestly the bunker stopped sending kill orders a long time ago since it wasn't doing any good for the cost. So if they die, that's it. I think the same is true of units that get the virus unless it is of course given the vaccine in time. As for the virus, the novel adaptation "Long story short" I think has better explanations about that. Or was it "short story long"?
Jul 19, 3:29 PM

Dec 2018
Reply to N2N
Feels like anime is like running multiple scenario as a simulation, things are canon or non-canon, with multiple ends all get shown without a timeline.

People never fully finished or understood the initial game will have not a slightest idea of what is going on here.

Also how could they spoil one of the bigger twist in the game just like that in ep1.. bruh
@N2N Yeah, the main 4 endings are in play here, there is a lot left out, and I don't think they spoiled anything, I don't think this was supposed to even be a part 2, but given the state of the narrative it was essential to the plot at hand. I disagree with how they've paced everything though for certain.

@RioFS Resistance was a huge part of the game but it was mostly optional. The game has a trillion side quests but unlike most games it's not just fetch it is actually narratively important! I hope you play it again and go for all the weird shit because there is a lot there that is very cool (imo).

@jiroWind Machines or androids? Either way the answer is yes. The whole quest line with Pascal is important to understand this, but in the anime he's kind of glossed over.
Jul 20, 8:35 AM
May 2021
StateofOhayo said:
@Apratim This is explained early on but it's a long time ago narratively speaking. They have black boxes, when they got swarmed by the machines you see them touching them together, causing a nuclear explosion. They can actually do this on their own, but they chose to do it together which is romantic in a sense. Anyways, their data is uploaded to the base. Communication was cut off but only two way, so it was able to go back to the server which automated their "revival" in new prefab bodies. 9S has actually "died" hundreds of times, mostly at the hands of 2E. It's not that his memory is different, but it is. The bunker for S units has save states stored, so when they are killed by E units they revert to that save state and for them it's like nothing else had happened. Like a factory reset essentially. But this is only if the order is given. Without that order, if 9S or any other unit is killed, as long as their data reaches the bunker they retain their memories in a new prefab body clone.

One more thing just to clarify in case anyone tries to find a loophole: when the Android units defect from YorHa, they are cut off from the bunker completely, and honestly the bunker stopped sending kill orders a long time ago since it wasn't doing any good for the cost. So if they die, that's it. I think the same is true of units that get the virus unless it is of course given the vaccine in time. As for the virus, the novel adaptation "Long story short" I think has better explanations about that. Or was it "short story long"?

Well thanks! It got clear in S2 ep 3 as well. I literally forgot about it from S1 lol
Jul 21, 11:20 AM

Sep 2019
Well, I didn't expect to see the Rumbling this episode. Am I watching the right show? Just kiddin', I played the game a while ago but I don't remember this being in there. I have to say I like the different perspectives they show in the anime because it gives more explanations than what happened in the game, also I don't know what to expect next. So, in this regards the anime was thought very nicely for both the game enjoyers and anime onlies. I don't think I am ready for the following episodes.
Jul 22, 4:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
As entertaining and fun as ever. And those character designs are to die for as always.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 22, 7:27 AM
Oct 2021
good episode, the virus contaminate androids, but luckily 9S survived.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Yesterday

57 by KOTFTW »»
2 hours ago

» Canon

Rayane-47 - 8 hours ago

6 by djg2345312 »»
4 hours ago

» Anime-only fans, my condolences!

SteelLad - Jul 20

22 by Rayane-47 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 19

64 by ReganDesu »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 5

78 by Ckea »»
Jul 23, 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.