Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 16, 10:05 AM
Dec 2015
It's been a long time since a show made me feel like this
Jun 16, 10:06 AM
Mar 2015
Paul died saving Zenith but she is foggy
Jun 16, 10:07 AM

Jul 2011
This episode hurts especially since its Father's Day.

My father passed away a month ago as well.
Jun 16, 10:07 AM

May 2010
Damn just when I thought the fight was going too well...
Jun 16, 10:08 AM
Aug 2020
pbbuiter said:
It's been a long time since a show made me feel like this

I'VE NEVER FELT LIKE THIS IN ALL MY YEARS WATCHING THESE SHOWS AND IT SUCKS
Jun 16, 10:09 AM
Aug 2018
Man I can't believe I'm in the absolute minority here but honestly Paul's death felt so poorly done. Like, they're absolutely just kicking this hydra's ass, completely in sync, only getting hit occasionally but totally on it with the healing... and then, all of sudden, Rudy somehow gets distracted and loses focuses, not once, but twice in a row? Paul literally has to snap him out of it twice in the span of three seconds. I mean that's just sloppy. I get that Paul has to die for plot reasons, but come on.
Jun 16, 10:10 AM
Jul 2022
I have long since been spoiled about everything that occurs in Turning Point 3 and today still hit me harder than Truck-kun did Rudeus. I’ve finally gotten the chance to experience this turn myself and I am at a loss for words. Rifujin continues to amaze me with the incredible story and characters he has created and Studio Bind has done an incredible job perfecting such an impactful and emotional episode despite the difficulties and roadblocks they have faced throughout the production of this show. Rest in peace Paul, you will be missed. 10/10 episode and I greatly look forward to what is to come.
Dec 2020
I hate Paul, but why are my eyes tearing😭
Oct 2013
Reply to GuardianLinks
niknasr said:
It took me few minutes after its end to let it sink in despite already spoiled myself due to being an LN reader. That was raw, and pure emotional. RIP Paul.

It wasn’t spoiled outright for me, but I had a feeling it was coming with some of the imagery in the OP. Still absolutely gut wrenching to watch, especially with them just showing you Paul’s Torso splat on the rock dying. And then Zenith too omg
@GuardianLinks I did shed tear, but instead of sad I felt empty after watching it. Probably that's the emotion of Rudeus that they want to portray to the watchers.
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jun 16, 10:11 AM
Aug 2020
vardavarr said:
Man I can't believe I'm in the absolute minority here but honestly Paul's death felt so poorly done. Like, they're absolutely just kicking this hydra's ass, completely in sync, only getting hit occasionally but totally on it with the healing... and then, all of sudden, Rudy somehow gets distracted and loses focuses, not once, but twice in a row? Paul literally has to snap him out of it twice in the span of three seconds. I mean that's just sloppy. I get that Paul has to die for plot reasons, but come on.

it's extremely obvious that rudy was struggling to keep up, just needed a bit of a cocky move to ruin it.
Jun 16, 10:12 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to Homura24
"I never considered him my father but he always considered me his son"

RIP Paul
he will be missed
This too on fathers day
they managed to save zenith but at what cost
looks like she isn't herself anymore
feel so bad for Rudy

Some LN Extra Details (Volume 12 Chapter 8-10 (partial))

- Elinalise lends mana imbued crystals to Roxy and Rudy incase they needed to recover their mana.
- Hydra is a type of dragon. It was varied by colors of white, gray and gold in Demon Continent, but they never saw a green type before.
- Roxy said it is a Manatite Hydra that absorbs mana. It was spotted during the second Great Human-Demon War. It was last heard to be slain before the continent split apart.
- They cremated Paul's body there to prevent it from being zombified even though Rudy was conflicted by it. He had hoped to bring some part of him back as a proof to his family, but none is left
- Paul only left 3 things, the metal breastplate that protected his torso, the magic sword and his favourite sword.
- A lot of thinking and reminiscing when Rudy was at the inn. He wonders what Paul is actually thinking seeing his final face in his death, and what is he actually trying to say beforehand (Maybe we will see that more in next episode)
- Rudy had hoped that he could celebrate and then grief together with Zenith once she woke up, but he was truly depressed to see her condition and knowing that he had lost both of them.

Differences from LN
- Part of chapter 10 is shortened after they saved Zenith
@Homura24 Great Message reading it made my day.

You also covered all the things I was about to say. ^_^

Rip Paul T_T
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Jun 16, 10:12 AM
Dec 2020
ngl it really pisses me off that zenith is braindead
Jun 16, 10:13 AM
Sep 2019
Happy father's day to those who have one.
Can't be Rudy sadly.
What an Epic Birthday for me, dam Jokes asides.
Really sad that had to happen he lost them both.

Hopefully she remembers him soon.
Jun 16, 10:14 AM

Jun 2015
absolutely insane episode.
all those death flags did their work.
happy father's day Paul... you were a real one until the very end. rest in peace.
Rudeus realizing he lost both his parents (Zenith in another way), I just cant stop crying....
🎃 MALoween 2024 Candies 🎃

Jun 16, 10:18 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Probably the best Mushoku Tensei episode across all seasons.

While the death flags were set way in advance for Paul it didn't make the moment feel any less impactful. It's such an emotional scene with Rudy struggling to comprehend what he was seeing with his otherworld dad being split in 2 after saving him even if he lost his left hand. And no words came out of him later until Zenith woke up only to see that she didn't in a good condition. Alas, sacrifies were made and not much was gained.

Much like what Man God said, this must be the regret and after all those incredible fights, battle tactics and spells it's high time for Rudy to return home. 2 more episodes to go.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jun 16, 10:19 AM
Sep 2020
Most painful episode I've ever watched.
Jun 16, 10:20 AM

Mar 2016
I'm speechless.
No words can properly describe this heavy saddening and sickening feeling I had, even knowing how the events would play out. The emotions hit really hard, regardless.
To commit this intentionally on Father's Day of all dates, too.

Nov 2023
I’m emotionally wrecked, it’s diabolical to air this episode on Father’s Day...
We'll ever find out what Paul wanted to say to Rudy before they fought the Hydra?
Satoshi17Jun 16, 10:45 AM
Apr 2023
I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled. What a damn good turning point #3.
Jun 16, 10:21 AM

Feb 2008
Really great episode but what a painful episode :(

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jun 16, 10:22 AM
Feb 2016
Reply to vardavarr
@vardavarr Nah, its better than LN, in LN its like blink and he died not dramatic like Anime, but the main focus is not paul death but AFTER paul death, the last 2 episode it will be banger(but also some people will hate it)
Jun 16, 10:24 AM
Apr 2023
Anyone who hated the episode was just nitpicking and needing attention badly. As someone who hates CGI on mecha animes and anime in general, the CGI on this episode was very good and not even noteworthy.

Again, what a damn good episode, definitely one of the best episodes in anime.
Jun 16, 10:25 AM

Apr 2017
The fact that Paul will never get to see his grandchildren breaks my heart.
cunnysseur
Jun 16, 10:26 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to vardavarr
@vardavarr they were barely getting by, this battle is pretty high stakes, unlike other anime where people needs to get stabbed multiple times , bleeding badly, then get power up and win, this anime is pretty realistic

just a reminder, just a small mistake can cost them their life, oooof yes, that happened
Jun 16, 10:27 AM
Nov 2021
It was devastating to see this happen and on a Father's Day.
Jun 16, 10:28 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Very good episode, no plot armor for Paul. GJ studio bind!
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jun 16, 10:30 AM

Jun 2014
Reply to OmBerry12_Bleach
man just 30 mins the epsidoe released and 150 users already reated 1🤬🤬, then you say one piece is top airing anime,

If I talk about the episode, this episode I gues is peak of Mushoku tensei, only that orested ep would come higher than this and I can say that the world of mushou has changed now, Rudy and Lilya are the only left to run whole family and what to say about Zenith, I first time felt angry on her.

I played episode and the timestamp at whicch i check is 19th min, till then just focused on ep, I felt like 5mins of ep
OmBerry12_Bleach said:
man just 30 mins the epsidoe released and 150 users already reated 1🤬🤬,

Apparently there's been a bot problem so that's why the number of 1 ratings is so significant.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jun 16, 10:30 AM

Feb 2012
Damn... That's sad, but respect to the plot that has the guts to put the stakes and follow through.
Jun 16, 10:34 AM
Oct 2023
Tearful and so impactful. Loved it!
Jun 16, 10:35 AM
Jun 2022
A great episode which started with good animation and ended very sad
Jun 16, 10:36 AM
Jan 2021
Even as a LN reader who knew this would happen I was still emotionaly on edge
Jun 16, 10:39 AM
Mar 2021
Happy Father’s Day Paul Greyrat.
Jun 16, 10:41 AM

Apr 2017
It's been around almost an hour, i am just sitting at my chair completely stun locked... i am at a loss for words.
i'm feeling something, and it's like it is eating me up from the inside, this was too much.
I'll miss you man...
Jun 16, 10:44 AM
Jan 2018
Maybe it was just poorly executed, but it seemed more like he didn't even use half of his strength in the fight.
Jun 16, 10:44 AM

Jan 2011
There were death flags since the start of this season haha. Still shocked me when I read to this part in the LN.
Jun 16, 10:45 AM

Jan 2018
It's really fucked up that they released this on Father's Day. I'm not sure if it was intentional but still.

Man, Rudeus lost his isekai dad and his arm. I thought Zenith was gonna turn into a new Rem but it seems like what she turned into was far worse. I really wonder if it's possible to restore her memories or if she will continue to act like... that.

Even though I knew what was coming because of fucking spoilers this episode was still pretty impactful. Like, even without the spoilers, there were death flags everywhere so it wouldn't have been too difficult to piece things together. Man, why did that asshole Rudeus need to zone out so much in the most crucial moment of the fight?! It's not as if he never fought big monsters before... I thought that going back to the final boss before going back to the inn to take proper rest was a bit strange but it probably was their biggest mistake.

I am (not) looking forward to the next episodes because of how emotionally devastating this episode was.
0451Jun 16, 10:52 AM
Jun 16, 10:47 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to KelvinNazrey
@vardavarr Nah, its better than LN, in LN its like blink and he died not dramatic like Anime, but the main focus is not paul death but AFTER paul death, the last 2 episode it will be banger(but also some people will hate it)
@KelvinNazrey Better than the LN is still a stretch.
Jun 16, 10:47 AM
Oct 2022
I assume I can spoil in an episode discussion like this (haven't done it before)

First of all, it's more Mushoku Tensei, already great.
Second, the hydra trying to create new wounds that it *can* heal is the most clever and cool way to make a powerful monster even more powerful, felt like a D&D battle with an annoyingly smart DM.
Third, that ending felt so real, I can't exactly call it amazing, but I was definitely misty eyed.
An Absolute Banger Episode.
Jun 16, 10:48 AM
Jan 2021
The prophecy of Rudeus regretting going here became true. In a way, he lost both of his parents. No sadder way to end the episode with Rudeus realizing that.
Jun 16, 10:49 AM

Dec 2019
Reply to Zwilicht
Maybe it was just poorly executed, but it seemed more like he didn't even use half of his strength in the fight.
@Zwilicht Showed his lack of experience in a dungeon in fights this serious when fighting the hydra. They were difficult against some of the best opponents they can face as a party and caused them issues, and Rudeus while busting his ass off had one slipup and it was costly. Took him sacrificing an arm and hand to make up for that without even knowing what's happening around him. He's never fought a creature like a hydra and the exact strengths it has since there's not much experienced people that survive with ease before so hes having to figure out weaknesses and strengths on the spot
Jun 16, 10:50 AM
Jan 2024
Hydra 3d was a little bad, but was any incredible exp... The best ep from this director and cut the ending, was perfect.
Jun 16, 10:53 AM
Feb 2015
man that was extremely terrible, fck like why, paul is such great character, he had so much to say to rudy, don't even know what he had in his mind, fck rudy like why the heck he zoned out there in a dangerous situation and not just once, but twice!!!!! WTF . like really damn disappointed and angry our MC, he fked up real bad, maybe that's why Human god told him not to go there, paul would be still alive, so would be his mother, maybe some year later they would win the fight as well, but then roxy would have died. :/ death flag at both routes. and now after saving his mother, she is basically a bot it seems like she is not able to speak or remember anything.

What can be worse then this now, loosing his hand, his father, on cost of saving his already lost mother.

and Paul so was cool in this episodes, fighting like a pro he is , literally so powerful to slash that hydra's head in one go, Elinalise couldn't even manage to cut even a foot by her sword.
feeling really sad :(

Om Shanti to Paul Grayrat you were the best! i wish we get to know what was paul thinking or maybe we won't :(
Jun 16, 10:55 AM
Aug 2021
Reply to Playcool
After almost 3 years of waiting, we finally get to this.
And now we can finally talk freely, Paul is DEAD.
There are a few details to this scene that I hope they explain later, otherwise people really need to be paying attention, to the little change in expression Paul's face had upon seeing that thankfully he was able to save his son, and be do a parent's job at the end.
Easily the most emotional episode of S2, the remaining episodes will only pick apart these scenes further and add ash to the fire, if someone has yet to feel something, watch the next few episodes.

I would say this is PEAK MT from everything we have seen so far, but S1's Orsted was better executed, was more cinematographic, when I feel that staff was MOSTLY needed for this scene.

What we got still does not deliver the impact of the LN (whereas S1 Orsted surpassed the source material IMO), yet I cant shit on the studios for giving this with the staff they, this is clearly the best MT episode they have produced.

I like the choice of OST for the scene the final 3 minutes, and the animation was far above anything else this season, but I think that fight needed a better soundtrack, to feel even more intense.
Animation wise I have little complains, I loved it, but I feel it could have been a bit better shooted, to give more impact (Orsted's scene again on S1, blowned my mind away).

The choice to end the episode with Rudeous mother waking up behaving like she had a complete reset and it is a new person was perfect to finish this episode, to up the despair for anime onlies.

YES, all this work, effort and sacrifice, and what Rudeous achieve was losing his father, and in what little happiness he could get from rescuing his mom (which he doesnt care as much as Paul), it end up being futile since she is no longer the Zenith they knew, but a shell truly.

Hyped for the last few episodes, now it truly is worth it to follow weekly.

Did a "bit" of reading what other said (this is definitely one episode to discuss on forums, WORTH IT):

DeRickz said:
RIP Paul
Not to be disrespectful, but he traded his life for a vegetable

Not going to say spoilers, but you are NOT wrong, and that is what hits Rudy all the more at the end, he is truly eating those words the Man-God told him now. (except if he had not came, Roxy would be dead, which outweights all that, but that is a topic for another time)

barmar said:
Anime of the season/10
despite the rough start

The highlight for this season 2, was always gonna be this, and what comes next, otherwise people wouldnt been very hyped for S2.

TriggerTama said:
Still in shock even knowing what's about to happen. I was worried the staff change of season 2 would make this episode hit less hard, but they did a great job animating that epic fight and brutal ending.

They did a great job with the animation but I wanted a bit better for Paul's corpse scene, maybe a better angle to approach it, you see his head first, then slowly to his torso or something, and also for the end, the last 2-3 minutes, ANYTHING from Shiki awesome OST here:
https://youtu.be/dixsFSqdjmU?si=Bsf2oKJ8b1W2Oi7D

Most stuff from that link would have given more IMPACT, specially Echo from minute 22, put that song playing and watch ep22 again! (I might do that that in preparation for the feels of ep23!!)
I honestly feel the worst part of this episode was the soundtrack, which is praise cuz it means they didnt fuck up and what I expected to be the hardest

MadanielFL said:
RIP Paul, pretty cruel for this episode to air on fathers day...

The photo you attached from the LN IMO had more impact and how I expected them to go in a way.

JurassicOtaku212 said:
used to hate Paul back in season 1. But, after seeing him change and trying his hardest to get his family back. He has earned my respect.

The writter got you good then, Paul's job was exactly that, and his job is NOT over, feels time for the next 2 episodes, it doesnt end with this episode.

karrotStick said:
They made up for the shit season with this episode!! But I really wanted a first person perspective when Rudeus turned to look at them 😔, cant have everything i guess.

EXACTLY, when I read it on the LN I saw it like this too, forgotten, would have been even better, cuz first he would look to Paul's head, then see blood coming down and the camera would go UP... FEELS

Autoparts_22 said:
Even with all this, this is why Mushoku Tensei is PEAK FICTION.

It is not because of this, but the consequences that come after and how this topic is handled and the weight it carries moving forward, that I feel this series is peak fiction.

YuushaNi said:
So this is what the god said he'd regret... Also goddamn! Rudy probably should've just stayed and bred Pursena?

He would have regreted either way, Roxy would be dead, and maybe his father too, the point that Rudy made before departing is that in life you cant avoid regrets, you gotta face them and digest what you can, moving on the best you can.

LordDurzo said:
so he can predict movement and from nowhere he lost it? he got so much mana and ability.. why didn't he use it in a fight? if they want to kill him okay but make it right! this is bad and this anime felt down by a few stars because of this!

That scene shows that despite everything, Rudeous is still far from being a veteran, he doesnt have has many years as Paul and his party did adventuring, it was a moment of careless, his defenses slipped, it happens and that is all it took.

MaiqtheCapper said:
I think my main problem is; Rudy stands there for two attacks and does nothing, because "oh this is easy we can win". It's pretty dumb considering he can see into the future, and I think they could have written Pauls death better. Dunno if it's like that in source material or not but that's the only reason I could think of why people don't like this episode.

In the LN you can understand Rudy's mental state better, so when this shit happens, you get HIT HARD.

Deshuro said:
@LordDurzo Arcording to the author's tweet, the weakness of his demonic eye is that it can't predict things that out of its sight or too large to fit in the field of vision.
https://x.com/Magote_rihujin/status/1802360559163363640

God point on this, it definitly gives credit to Rudeous not being able to see it, but also I feel it was a combination of that and his inexperience to see such extreme situation, yes demon country, but it is not like he survived there 10-15 years. And the last few years also got him softer.

Marinate1016 said:
And then to top it off Zenith’s brain has been turned to mush. So you save her and what did it cost? Everything.

spoiler button due to gore

Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
ngl it really pisses me off that zenith is braindead

Next couple of episodes will be hell then, that will be picked appart like crazy.

Aleksu said:
Rudeus realizing he lost both his parents (Zenith in another way), I just cant stop crying....

It is precisely due to that, that the episode title is in the plural.

CorayyAnime said:
Very good episode, no plot armor for Paul. GJ studio bind!

No plot armor for Rudeous either, he lost his hand. It has consequences.

Zwilicht said:

Who? Rudy? The problem was the Hydra's scales absorbed the mana, his actions were limited and in close quarters he had to use flame to fuck them wounds.

Hekigyoku04 said:
@KelvinNazrey Better than the LN is still a stretch.

Agreed, maybe if we had staff from S1 for Orsted's it would have been possible, but what we got still has me happy they at least did not fucked it up, but it is too soon to say anything because the next two episodes have to be properly delivered too!

Akaseaka said:
For whatever reason, this episode failed to trigger me. Maybe I should, really, abandon the anime and read the novel instead.

It is okay, next two episodes might fuck you good, so wait for them, and after that TBH, at least go check this section on the LN, and decide if you want to read the LN or not, the full worldbuilding aspect you can only get on the LN, with all the details, if anything reading both the manga, the LN and seeing the anime complements one another crazy for this series.

Gimboy said:
He did use magic though only after his hands entered the body. Watch the scene again.

Yes he did, and a detail not explained, the Hydra's eyelashes had sharp scales to them, and when the Hydra closed its eye, that helped server a lot of Rudeous bone, it is a very nasty detail in the LN.

lessfull said:
.. Oh my god
I can't stop shaking. Fucking Orsted with his Dragon gaze. If not for him, Rudy wouldn't freak out and gauge the eye

You might actually be on something here, lol

karrotStick said:
@Akaseaka Here's what happens in the novel,

Good job, I was too lazy myself to do that.

SentiOnikawa said:
@Akaseaka First and foremost, we know that canonically the demon eye only gives Rudeus a few seconds of foresight, and it isn't effective against anything substantially stronger or significantly less predictable. The hydra was on its last two heads and clearly desperate, which if you know anything about injured animals, is the most dangerous point for them to be at. A wounded bear isn't going to curl into a ball like in the movies. It is going to do everything to protect its injury and ward off potential threats, even if it ends up hurting itself more. Now, you have 9 giant whips, 2 of which have brains attached to them.

The second thing is, this is Rudy's second dungeon, at best? He's been on adventures, sure. Most of those were in settings with controlled elements such as difficulty ratings and the presence of other groups. He's only been in one other situation where, again, another adventuring group was present. His reaction speeds, ability to predict boss actions, etc isn't as refined as everyone else's.

The group was struggling against the hydra. I know for what we got it didn't seem that way, but it's true. You have at least 4 S-rank adventurers, one of the strongest mages in the world, and Rudy, whose contributions while significant, aren't exactly winning the fight on their own. Paul was the only one who could do any real damage. Everyone else was either a support role or running interference where possible. That Paul saved Rudeus twice is indicative of how dire the situation was. No amount of situational awareness was going to keep Rudeus out of harm's way long enough to prevent Paul's death.

Finally, yes, it was unexpected. The hydra going berserk out of desperation isn't rational. It's not a rational being, clearly. It thought of the idea to try and open a new wound to grow a new head when it was already fighting at a disadvantage. Using its necks as whips wasn't something expected, even for experienced fighters. Especially for Rudeus who can disassociate and evaluate as well as he can, there isn't any reasonable explanation for such behavior. Him having decision paralysis isn't unreasonable. It's that his inexperience trumped his ability to evaluate a situation and devise a strategy. It cost him significantly in the end.

YES, you summed very well what I wanted to convey, Rudeous has talent, but he still has many years of experience to live and learnt from.
Like Paul was all dandy on 1st stratum and maybe second, but then knew when to focus on and stop playing around, Paul had more experience than Rudeous agaisnt such situations and especially in a labyrinth.
@Playcool For me, hydra fight surpasses s1 orsted cuz of how long it is.
Jun 16, 10:57 AM

May 2023
Happy Fathers Day, Paul Greyrat!

R.I.P Paul, and hope they can find a way to cure Zenith i fear..

even though as an LN reader I still can't help but cry when watching this episode.

and also PEAK Qkawa and other participating staff are really serious about the fight scene. ABSOLUTE CINEMA.
Jun 16, 10:58 AM
Dec 2023
For whatever reason, this episode failed to trigger me. Maybe I should, really, abandon the anime and read the novel instead.

I want to know how the novel framed the situation. As adventures, it was not unexpected for anyone of them to die at any battle or encounter. Paul said he won't retreat simply because he faced a strong opponent. I assume these two points are probably what the novel wanted to express?

However, in the anime, as least from what I felt from the anime: Everything was going so smoothly. Even the strongest retaliation of the hydra was defended using opposite magic. And then suddenly Rudy spaced out for a second, and Paul covered for him and expired. It kinds of undermined what was supposed to be about. It now felt like Paul died simply because Rudy got distracted by his thought in the battle.

On this note, it was weird that even this would happen. First, if anyone, Rudy was the person here that had the best situation awareness. He could foresee hydra was about to breath fire to attack and regrouped everybody in time. Second, if anyone, Rudy was the person that definitely won't get hit by a surprise attack. He had the Demon Eye and he was actively using it in the battle, as seen in, for example, 3:55. Third, at this point in battle, everyone else such as Elinalise was free and on look out. From the perspective of somebody watching the show, this was something that went wrong on the most unexpected character in the most unexpected way at the most unexpected moment. It really felt abrupt, in a bad way, and forced.
AkaseakaJun 16, 11:02 AM
Jun 16, 11:01 AM
Feb 2023
the best episode of this serie so far, they really did a great job adapting the LN. Paul will be missed
Jun 16, 11:03 AM
Jan 2015
holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck I knew it beforehand but still seeing it hit so hard
Jun 16, 11:03 AM
Jul 2019
Even though we knew what was going to happen, when we saw the animated scenes, the shock was still great. A wonderful and extremely sad chapter. I needed a beer after watching it.
Jun 16, 11:05 AM
Oct 2018
IzanaSolos said:
Here we go... the final battle.

Had high expectations going into this episode, especially because Bind brought their Avengers team for this one, so I knew the animation was going to be amazing, and it was. Anyway, I really don't blame them for retreating—they're obviously not ready. Paul was pretty much just blinded by the fact that Zenith was there. But at the same time, it's that same determination that Paul needed to inspire the others.

Hydra is CGI, as everyone expected. I mean, it's a nine-headed dragon where all the heads move at the same time. I doubt even Kaiju No.8 from this season could keep up a 2D form for that. But even so, the main action scenes were still incredible. And that scene where Rudy just said fuck it, went no magic, just fingers, and gouged out the dragon's eye—so tough man. Unfortunately, he did lose a hand. But the biggest loss of all... damn. I was spoiled, but even still, this hurts.

The thing about this is that at first, we were made to hate Paul, but as we kept going, the show made us empathize with and feel for him. And just like that, he's gone. The pain for Rudeus doesn't even stop there; granted, this was expected, but his own mom forgot how to speak... and if she can't speak, I'd bet that she doesn't even know who he is... Saved her, but at what cost.

To delay this episode by a week just so it could air on Father's Day... you're truly sick in the head Bind.

He did use magic though only after his hands entered the body. Watch the scene again.
Jun 16, 11:07 AM
Oct 2018
Softhenic03 said:
I mean you know, the tension was there, even before they encountered Hydra. That teleportation circle or whatever was visually scary if you ask me. But yeah, when you’ve a huge monster to deal with and the person you’ve been searching for is just right there, fighting among your own people should be the last thing to do lol. Goes to Rudeus and him being not optimistic when it matters, as Paul acting the way he did was natural.

The fight was alright, but there’s always so much one could do when regeneration and all is involved. That is that, but we know one thing, to assert the importance and stakes of a fight in any media, we always see a sacrifice in the end. Paul might have survived but no, I think that would’ve been a too nice and happy conclusion for something they are advertising as a true last goal for quite some time. This airing on father’s day of all days can’t be a coincidence.

The fight was amazing for me animation wise!
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» They caught Rudeus in real life ( 1 2 )

Ba-Cii10 - Yesterday

53 by Phloup »»
Yesterday, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

felixsifuri - Apr 7

267 by Me_Mario »»
Oct 25, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ArimaKana - Jun 23

373 by ARITRA_68722 »»
Oct 23, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jun 30

394 by denis_zerda »»
Oct 22, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MegamiRem - Jun 9

221 by Ragnar00lobrock »»
Oct 20, 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.