Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 16, 11:07 AM
Mar 2020
regret indeed, MY GOD
Jun 16, 11:09 AM

Dec 2017
Reply to Akaseaka
For whatever reason, this episode failed to trigger me. Maybe I should, really, abandon the anime and read the novel instead.

I want to know how the novel framed the situation. As adventures, it was not unexpected for anyone of them to die at any battle or encounter. Paul said he won't retreat simply because he faced a strong opponent. I assume these two points are probably what the novel wanted to express?

However, in the anime, as least from what I felt from the anime: Everything was going so smoothly. Even the strongest retaliation of the hydra was defended using opposite magic. And then suddenly Rudy spaced out for a second, and Paul covered for him and expired. It kinds of undermined what was supposed to be about. It now felt like Paul died simply because Rudy got distracted by his thought in the battle.

On this note, it was weird that even this would happen. First, if anyone, Rudy was the person here that had the best situation awareness. He could foresee hydra was about to breath fire to attack and regrouped everybody in time. Second, if anyone, Rudy was the person that definitely won't get hit by a surprise attack. He had the Demon Eye and he was actively using it in the battle, as seen in, for example, 3:55. Third, at this point in battle, everyone else such as Elinalise was free and on look out. From the perspective of somebody watching the show, this was something that went wrong on the most unexpected character in the most unexpected way at the most unexpected moment. It really felt abrupt, in a bad way, and forced.
@Akaseaka Here's what happens in the novel,
It was then, just as I was using my magic to cauterize the second to last stump, that the hydra’s body trembled. I didn’t know what that movement meant. I could see it with my Eye of Foresight, but I didn’t understand it. The creature was too big.
“You moron!”
“Wait—!”
Before I realized what was happening, Paul had slammed me out of the way. Something enormous came crashing down right in front of my eyes.
But…it didn’t have a head anymore?
No—there was no head, but it did still have a neck.
The hydra was slinging its headless necks around like spiked whips—all eight of them! Every one of them was coated in tough scales that could shred flesh like a cheese grater. It whipped those necks around all at once, mowing down anything in the vicinity.
“Ruuudyyyyy!” Paul screamed, driving his foot into me to kick me out of the way.
Almost simultaneously, a thud resounded as something smashed to the ground right where I’d been a moment ago, in the once-empty space that had existed between Paul and me.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jun 16, 11:10 AM
Feb 2018
MangagnaM said:
@LordDurzo They definitely made it tough, limbs were flying off, Elinalise was burned by light contact a couple times, regeneration, etc. Keep in mind, the people that faced off against the hydra comprise of S-rank adventurers in Paul, Elinalise, Talhand and Geese, Roxy a Water King and one of the strongest water mages in the world and Rudeus, a guy who is good at voiceless incantation and is very versatile and trained heavily with even stronger people like Ruijerd while adventuring together in the Demon continent of all places with monsters. The people who fought the hydra are not too far from the best that can fight in this dungeon, and they still struggled a lot and lost Paul + Rudeus' hand.

good argument i take it.
Jun 16, 11:11 AM
Jun 2023
Aaand this is why volume 12 is one of the most beloved and best volumes in the series. Cant wait to see if these kind of efforts can be pulled off for 15 down the line.
Jun 16, 11:14 AM

Jun 2014
Paul dying and rudy losing an arm is a worth sacrifice to save his mother even shes not herself anymore. Even a smallest chance that she was fine but they didnt help her would be a terrible choice to live by. I hope rudy doest say shit like "it wasnt worth it, shes not even my mom. paul died for nothing". If he says them then im going to be a rudy hater.
Recommended --> Bleach/Claymore/Overlord/Death Note/Steins Gate
Jun 16, 11:15 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to DeRickz
RIP Paul
Not to be disrespectful, but he traded his life for a vegetable
@DeRickz I laughed at this. I'm a very bad human being.
Jun 16, 11:15 AM
Oct 2018
Hitogami did said that Rudeus will regret it if he comes to his Father. Damn, he is not lying….
Jun 16, 11:17 AM

Jan 2024
I was so scared during the Hydra fight and seems like I was right about that. Mushoku Tensei doesnt hold back with bad outcomes after all. I still feel really bad about what happened. Seems like Rudeus lost both of his parents now. I assume thats the fate he chose when he left Sylphi. Oof. 10/10 episode.
Jun 16, 11:17 AM
Apr 2014
... Oh my god
I can't stop shaking. Fucking Orsted with his Dragon gaze. If not for him, Rudy wouldn't freak out and gauge the eye
lessfullJun 16, 11:21 AM
Jun 16, 11:18 AM
May 2020
Reply to KelvinNazrey
@vardavarr Nah, its better than LN, in LN its like blink and he died not dramatic like Anime, but the main focus is not paul death but AFTER paul death, the last 2 episode it will be banger(but also some people will hate it)
@KelvinNazrey pls spoil me about what some ppl might hate it
Jun 16, 11:20 AM
Jan 2021
Man...I knew that was coming, and I still don't think I was ready. RIP Paul. There is nothing more noble than a father sacrificing himself for his family.
Jun 16, 11:20 AM

Jul 2023
Episode 10 is a phenomenal adaptation of a pivotal battle from the novels.
Jun 16, 11:21 AM
Jan 2021
absolute cinema.
Jun 16, 11:22 AM
Feb 2021
This was probably the best episode of the entire series. I'm glad I stuck it out and didn't end up dropping it.
Jun 16, 11:23 AM
Oct 2023
i have never ever write something about Anime, but Jesus Christ this episode is so masterpiece, from the middle to the end i was amaze how good this episode was, incredible
Jun 16, 11:24 AM
Dec 2013
Reply to LordDurzo
so he can predict movement and from nowhere he lost it? he got so much mana and ability.. why didn't he use it in a fight? if they want to kill him okay but make it right! this is bad and this anime felt down by a few stars because of this!
@LordDurzo Arcording to the author's tweet, the weakness of his demonic eye is that it can't predict things that out of its sight or too large to fit in the field of vision.
https://x.com/Magote_rihujin/status/1802360559163363640
Jun 16, 11:25 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to demonofmirkwood
Paul dying and rudy losing an arm is a worth sacrifice to save his mother even shes not herself anymore. Even a smallest chance that she was fine but they didnt help her would be a terrible choice to live by. I hope rudy doest say shit like "it wasnt worth it, shes not even my mom. paul died for nothing". If he says them then im going to be a rudy hater.
@demonofmirkwood i mean if Rudy wasn't there, Roxy 100% die, from Rudy perspective it's worth it
Feb 2018
Deshuro said:
@LordDurzo Arcording to the author's tweet, the weakness of his demonic eye is that it can't predict things that out of its sight or too large to fit in the field of vision.

didnt know that thanks !
Sep 2016
Reply to MaiqtheCapper
I think my main problem is; Rudy stands there for two attacks and does nothing, because "oh this is easy we can win". It's pretty dumb considering he can see into the future, and I think they could have written Pauls death better. Dunno if it's like that in source material or not but that's the only reason I could think of why people don't like this episode.

It was by far the best episode this season complaints aside.
@MaiqtheCapper In Danmachi Ais teaches Bell that the moment when people think they have won is when they lower their guard the most... This is exactly what happened to Rudeus, bro thought they had the fight in the bag and lowered his guard. Losing your concentration like that in a battle like this would normally be fatal, he only got to live because Paul saved his ass. As for the second attack, Rudeus himself admitted it this episode, he can get spook easily. Bro was completely out of his game.

As for seeing the future, that's not actually correct. He gets a limited future sight of a few seconds and he needs to actively use the magic eye by imbuing it with mana which he was obviously not doing because he wasn't focusing on the fight.

I do think the end result was frustrating because it could have been avoided, it's like losing a super hard boss fight in a videogame when the boss is bellow 10%HP because you got too confident just that this was a real battle to the death for Rudeus with real consequences. It shows that despite his strength and ability he is still lacking as a fighter in terms of experience. Unfortunately for him, it will be an experience for him to keep growing up.
Jun 16, 11:29 AM

Dec 2018
Happy Father's Day
Jun 16, 11:32 AM
Jul 2020
It H(ea)urts
"You will regret if you won't go, BUT you will REGRET EVEN MORE if you go"
I was excited for some adventure but not for this.
Hated it.
Jun 16, 11:41 AM
Dec 2014
Reply to Akaseaka
For whatever reason, this episode failed to trigger me. Maybe I should, really, abandon the anime and read the novel instead.

I want to know how the novel framed the situation. As adventures, it was not unexpected for anyone of them to die at any battle or encounter. Paul said he won't retreat simply because he faced a strong opponent. I assume these two points are probably what the novel wanted to express?

However, in the anime, as least from what I felt from the anime: Everything was going so smoothly. Even the strongest retaliation of the hydra was defended using opposite magic. And then suddenly Rudy spaced out for a second, and Paul covered for him and expired. It kinds of undermined what was supposed to be about. It now felt like Paul died simply because Rudy got distracted by his thought in the battle.

On this note, it was weird that even this would happen. First, if anyone, Rudy was the person here that had the best situation awareness. He could foresee hydra was about to breath fire to attack and regrouped everybody in time. Second, if anyone, Rudy was the person that definitely won't get hit by a surprise attack. He had the Demon Eye and he was actively using it in the battle, as seen in, for example, 3:55. Third, at this point in battle, everyone else such as Elinalise was free and on look out. From the perspective of somebody watching the show, this was something that went wrong on the most unexpected character in the most unexpected way at the most unexpected moment. It really felt abrupt, in a bad way, and forced.
@Akaseaka First and foremost, we know that canonically the demon eye only gives Rudeus a few seconds of foresight, and it isn't effective against anything substantially stronger or significantly less predictable. The hydra was on its last two heads and clearly desperate, which if you know anything about injured animals, is the most dangerous point for them to be at. A wounded bear isn't going to curl into a ball like in the movies. It is going to do everything to protect its injury and ward off potential threats, even if it ends up hurting itself more. Now, you have 9 giant whips, 2 of which have brains attached to them.

The second thing is, this is Rudy's second dungeon, at best? He's been on adventures, sure. Most of those were in settings with controlled elements such as difficulty ratings and the presence of other groups. He's only been in one other situation where the threat level was far above his capabilities and he had the benefit of another, more experienced group being nearby. His reaction speeds, ability to predict boss actions, etc isn't as refined as everyone else's.

The group was struggling against the hydra. I know for what we got it didn't seem that way, but it's true. You have at least 4 S-rank adventurers, one of the strongest mages in the world, and Rudy, whose contributions while significant, aren't exactly winning the fight on their own. Paul was the only one who could do any real damage. Everyone else was a support role, which is already a huge disadvantage for a party. That Paul saved Rudeus twice is indicative of how dire the situation was. No amount of situational awareness was going to keep Rudeus out of harm's way long enough to prevent Paul's death.

Finally, yes, it was unexpected. The hydra going berserk out of desperation isn't rational. It's not a rational being, clearly. It thought of the idea to try and open a new wound to grow a new head when it was already fighting at a disadvantage. Using its necks as whips wasn't something expected, even for experienced fighters. Especially for Rudeus who can disassociate and evaluate as well as he can, there isn't any reasonable explanation for such behavior. Him having decision paralysis isn't unreasonable. It's that his inexperience trumped his ability to evaluate a situation and devise a strategy. It cost him significantly in the end.

"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento

"When a piece of media is bad, it's much easier to nitpick the less significant things because they're seen as a part of the problem. Alternatively, it becomes more difficult to nitpick something like a masterpiece because even the flaws are seen as contributing to the overall quality of the media." -Paraphrasing Mauler
Jun 16, 11:42 AM
Jun 2012
Reply to UvST
It H(ea)urts
"You will regret if you won't go, BUT you will REGRET EVEN MORE if you go"
I was excited for some adventure but not for this.
Hated it.
@UvST So the alternative would have been to stay at home, mum a brain dead crystal inside a dungeon, father would have died trying to save her alone, Roxy would also have died. Now at least Roxy is save and he doenst have to regret not going and giving his best. I stil have my hopes up to fix medical issues with magic.

They really should have backed down and gut a second DD who can cut heads. Also Rudeus doesnt using magic to dodge attack shows bad prepartion as well. They shouldnt have rushed after finding out mothers state in the crystal doesnt change.
AnotakuJun 16, 11:46 AM
Jun 16, 11:42 AM
Apr 2017
Wow so like I am conflicted seeing what hitokami did, he told rudy that he would regret it, but never what or when or where. If he didn't go to save Zenith we would lose Roxy, but now we lost both Paul and Zenith, I don't know if they will be able to save her or not, it is so heart breaking. I could not calm myself till the episode was over...

Epic episode, and I hope to get some closure in the last 2. I hope to see Rudies reaction, I hope to see them go back, what will happen with Sylphiete and Norn & Aisha, it will be so heart breaking....
Jun 16, 11:46 AM
Jun 2022
Embient said:
Btw why does Rudy still use incantations sometimes? Does it make it less mentally taxing to cast?
The animation during the fight is beautiful
WAIT WHAT WHY NOOOOO
Literally got goosebumps when they showed half of Paul's body laying like that
And that ending... Did Zenith really just lose all of her memories? Like, literally everything? Dear god T_T
Happy father's day everyone

To heal himself or others he need to use incantations. I'm sure it was stated somewhere in the beginning of season 1 if I'm not mistaken.
Jun 16, 11:47 AM

Feb 2008
They traded Paul for Casca.
The fight was great btw, amazing animation!
Jun 16, 11:48 AM
Mar 2018
esperava 1, mas não que fosse ele
Jun 16, 11:48 AM
Oct 2013
that ep was brutal af and shook me pretty hard, still trying to get that desperation feeling off after couple of hours now. im guessing next season is gonna take them a couple years so gotta read the ln
Jun 16, 11:50 AM
Apr 2014
Reply to Anotaku
@UvST So the alternative would have been to stay at home, mum a brain dead crystal inside a dungeon, father would have died trying to save her alone, Roxy would also have died. Now at least Roxy is save and he doenst have to regret not going and giving his best. I stil have my hopes up to fix medical issues with magic.

They really should have backed down and gut a second DD who can cut heads. Also Rudeus doesnt using magic to dodge attack shows bad prepartion as well. They shouldnt have rushed after finding out mothers state in the crystal doesnt change.
@Anotaku I think if Rudy haven't come: Roxy would be dead, but Paul would not find Zenith, because they wouldn't know about teleportation room. So God's words about having mistress was probably so that Rudy would be able to cope with Roxy death
Jun 16, 11:50 AM

Dec 2019
Reply to Gonryo_Spectrum
Embient said:
Btw why does Rudy still use incantations sometimes? Does it make it less mentally taxing to cast?
The animation during the fight is beautiful
WAIT WHAT WHY NOOOOO
Literally got goosebumps when they showed half of Paul's body laying like that
And that ending... Did Zenith really just lose all of her memories? Like, literally everything? Dear god T_T
Happy father's day everyone

To heal himself or others he need to use incantations. I'm sure it was stated somewhere in the beginning of season 1 if I'm not mistaken.
@Gonryo_Spectrum It was also mentioned earlier in this cour when Sylphiette and Rudeus practiced healing magic together, I think ep 3 of this cour/ep 15 of this season.
Jun 16, 11:52 AM
Mar 2024
Thank you Paul.You will be missed
Jun 16, 11:58 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to ProTaMaka
Wow so like I am conflicted seeing what hitokami did, he told rudy that he would regret it, but never what or when or where. If he didn't go to save Zenith we would lose Roxy, but now we lost both Paul and Zenith, I don't know if they will be able to save her or not, it is so heart breaking. I could not calm myself till the episode was over...

Epic episode, and I hope to get some closure in the last 2. I hope to see Rudies reaction, I hope to see them go back, what will happen with Sylphiete and Norn & Aisha, it will be so heart breaking....
@ProTaMaka The final two episodes will be all on that, no spoilers, but the impact this has on Rudy, you will see it, and how to process such loss and how to get closure, it is precisely due to that, that this is ONLY episode 10 of 12.
Would be a shame and a waste if the writer did not make usage of all the potential from what comes from such a scene.
It will be two more weeks of feels, but that will also get a lot of people happy and some idiots that don't understand what is fiction, will get even more pissed, whinny and annoying to deal with in the forums.
Jun 16, 11:58 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was both epic with the awesome intense fight with the Hydra, but also very tragic due to Paul's death and the fact that they decided to air this episode on Father's Day.
Jun 16, 11:59 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to Akaseaka

@Akaseaka I would try the novel. The general pacing is better and getting Rudeus' POV all the time helps things a lot. I'm not going back to read the chapter now because I want to do a full reread in the near future but from what I recall there was no point in vol 12 (TP3) that left me with mixed feelings regarding Paul's death. The fight in the anime = longer but less is said overall LN = the fight is maybe less dramatic but more is said and the pieces really click into place. Definitely worried about the next two episodes but I think BIND can pull it off.
Jun 16, 12:05 PM
Jan 2022
Reply to Playcool
After almost 3 years of waiting, we finally get to this.
And now we can finally talk freely, Paul is DEAD.
There are a few details to this scene that I hope they explain later, otherwise people really need to be paying attention, to the little change in expression Paul's face had upon seeing that thankfully he was able to save his son, and be do a parent's job at the end.
Easily the most emotional episode of S2, the remaining episodes will only pick apart these scenes further and add ash to the fire, if someone has yet to feel something, watch the next few episodes.

I would say this is PEAK MT from everything we have seen so far, but S1's Orsted was better executed, was more cinematographic, when I feel that staff was MOSTLY needed for this scene.

What we got still does not deliver the impact of the LN (whereas S1 Orsted surpassed the source material IMO), yet I cant shit on the studios for giving this with the staff they, this is clearly the best MT episode they have produced.

I like the choice of OST for the scene the final 3 minutes, and the animation was far above anything else this season, but I think that fight needed a better soundtrack, to feel even more intense.
Animation wise I have little complains, I loved it, but I feel it could have been a bit better shooted, to give more impact (Orsted's scene again on S1, blowned my mind away).

The choice to end the episode with Rudeous mother waking up behaving like she had a complete reset and it is a new person was perfect to finish this episode, to up the despair for anime onlies.

YES, all this work, effort and sacrifice, and what Rudeous achieve was losing his father, and in what little happiness he could get from rescuing his mom (which he doesnt care as much as Paul), it end up being futile since she is no longer the Zenith they knew, but a shell truly.

Hyped for the last few episodes, now it truly is worth it to follow weekly.

Did a "bit" of reading what other said (this is definitely one episode to discuss on forums, WORTH IT):

DeRickz said:
RIP Paul
Not to be disrespectful, but he traded his life for a vegetable

Not going to say spoilers, but you are NOT wrong, and that is what hits Rudy all the more at the end, he is truly eating those words the Man-God told him now. (except if he had not came, Roxy would be dead, which outweights all that, but that is a topic for another time)

barmar said:
Anime of the season/10
despite the rough start

The highlight for this season 2, was always gonna be this, and what comes next, otherwise people wouldnt been very hyped for S2.

TriggerTama said:
Still in shock even knowing what's about to happen. I was worried the staff change of season 2 would make this episode hit less hard, but they did a great job animating that epic fight and brutal ending.

They did a great job with the animation but I wanted a bit better for Paul's corpse scene, maybe a better angle to approach it, you see his head first, then slowly to his torso or something, and also for the end, the last 2-3 minutes, ANYTHING from Shiki awesome OST here:
https://youtu.be/dixsFSqdjmU?si=Bsf2oKJ8b1W2Oi7D

Most stuff from that link would have given more IMPACT, specially Echo from minute 22, put that song playing and watch ep22 again! (I might do that that in preparation for the feels of ep23!!)
I honestly feel the worst part of this episode was the soundtrack, which is praise cuz it means they didnt fuck up and what I expected to be the hardest

MadanielFL said:
RIP Paul, pretty cruel for this episode to air on fathers day...

The photo you attached from the LN IMO had more impact and how I expected them to go in a way.

JurassicOtaku212 said:
used to hate Paul back in season 1. But, after seeing him change and trying his hardest to get his family back. He has earned my respect.

The writter got you good then, Paul's job was exactly that, and his job is NOT over, feels time for the next 2 episodes, it doesnt end with this episode.

karrotStick said:
They made up for the shit season with this episode!! But I really wanted a first person perspective when Rudeus turned to look at them 😔, cant have everything i guess.

EXACTLY, when I read it on the LN I saw it like this too, forgotten, would have been even better, cuz first he would look to Paul's head, then see blood coming down and the camera would go UP... FEELS

Autoparts_22 said:
Even with all this, this is why Mushoku Tensei is PEAK FICTION.

It is not because of this, but the consequences that come after and how this topic is handled and the weight it carries moving forward, that I feel this series is peak fiction.

YuushaNi said:
So this is what the god said he'd regret... Also goddamn! Rudy probably should've just stayed and bred Pursena?

He would have regreted either way, Roxy would be dead, and maybe his father too, the point that Rudy made before departing is that in life you cant avoid regrets, you gotta face them and digest what you can, moving on the best you can.

LordDurzo said:
so he can predict movement and from nowhere he lost it? he got so much mana and ability.. why didn't he use it in a fight? if they want to kill him okay but make it right! this is bad and this anime felt down by a few stars because of this!

That scene shows that despite everything, Rudeous is still far from being a veteran, he doesnt have has many years as Paul and his party did adventuring, it was a moment of careless, his defenses slipped, it happens and that is all it took.

MaiqtheCapper said:
I think my main problem is; Rudy stands there for two attacks and does nothing, because "oh this is easy we can win". It's pretty dumb considering he can see into the future, and I think they could have written Pauls death better. Dunno if it's like that in source material or not but that's the only reason I could think of why people don't like this episode.

In the LN you can understand Rudy's mental state better, so when this shit happens, you get HIT HARD.

Deshuro said:

God point on this, it definitly gives credit to Rudeous not being able to see it, but also I feel it was a combination of that and his inexperience to see such extreme situation, yes demon country, but it is not like he survived there 10-15 years. And the last few years also got him softer.

Marinate1016 said:
And then to top it off Zenith’s brain has been turned to mush. So you save her and what did it cost? Everything.

spoiler button due to gore

Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
ngl it really pisses me off that zenith is braindead

Next couple of episodes will be hell then, that will be picked appart like crazy.

Aleksu said:
Rudeus realizing he lost both his parents (Zenith in another way), I just cant stop crying....

It is precisely due to that, that the episode title is in the plural.

CorayyAnime said:
Very good episode, no plot armor for Paul. GJ studio bind!

No plot armor for Rudeous either, he lost his hand. It has consequences.

Zwilicht said:
Maybe it was just poorly executed, but it seemed more like he didn't even use half of his strength in the fight.

Who? Rudy? The problem was the Hydra's scales absorbed the mana, his actions were limited and in close quarters he had to use flame to fuck them wounds.

Hekigyoku04 said:
@KelvinNazrey Better than the LN is still a stretch.

Agreed, maybe if we had staff from S1 for Orsted's it would have been possible, but what we got still has me happy they at least did not fucked it up, but it is too soon to say anything because the next two episodes have to be properly delivered too!

Akaseaka said:

It is okay, next two episodes might fuck you good, so wait for them, and after that TBH, at least go check this section on the LN, and decide if you want to read the LN or not, the full worldbuilding aspect you can only get on the LN, with all the details, if anything reading both the manga, the LN and seeing the anime complements one another crazy for this series.

Gimboy said:
He did use magic though only after his hands entered the body. Watch the scene again.

Yes he did, and a detail not explained, the Hydra's eyelashes had sharp scales to them, and when the Hydra closed its eye, that helped server a lot of Rudeous bone, it is a very nasty detail in the LN.

lessfull said:
.. Oh my god
I can't stop shaking. Fucking Orsted with his Dragon gaze. If not for him, Rudy wouldn't freak out and gauge the eye

You might actually be on something here, lol

karrotStick said:
@Akaseaka Here's what happens in the novel,

Good job, I was too lazy myself to do that.

SentiOnikawa said:
@Akaseaka First and foremost, we know that canonically the demon eye only gives Rudeus a few seconds of foresight, and it isn't effective against anything substantially stronger or significantly less predictable. The hydra was on its last two heads and clearly desperate, which if you know anything about injured animals, is the most dangerous point for them to be at. A wounded bear isn't going to curl into a ball like in the movies. It is going to do everything to protect its injury and ward off potential threats, even if it ends up hurting itself more. Now, you have 9 giant whips, 2 of which have brains attached to them.

The second thing is, this is Rudy's second dungeon, at best? He's been on adventures, sure. Most of those were in settings with controlled elements such as difficulty ratings and the presence of other groups. He's only been in one other situation where, again, another adventuring group was present. His reaction speeds, ability to predict boss actions, etc isn't as refined as everyone else's.

The group was struggling against the hydra. I know for what we got it didn't seem that way, but it's true. You have at least 4 S-rank adventurers, one of the strongest mages in the world, and Rudy, whose contributions while significant, aren't exactly winning the fight on their own. Paul was the only one who could do any real damage. Everyone else was either a support role or running interference where possible. That Paul saved Rudeus twice is indicative of how dire the situation was. No amount of situational awareness was going to keep Rudeus out of harm's way long enough to prevent Paul's death.

Finally, yes, it was unexpected. The hydra going berserk out of desperation isn't rational. It's not a rational being, clearly. It thought of the idea to try and open a new wound to grow a new head when it was already fighting at a disadvantage. Using its necks as whips wasn't something expected, even for experienced fighters. Especially for Rudeus who can disassociate and evaluate as well as he can, there isn't any reasonable explanation for such behavior. Him having decision paralysis isn't unreasonable. It's that his inexperience trumped his ability to evaluate a situation and devise a strategy. It cost him significantly in the end.

YES, you summed very well what I wanted to convey, Rudeous has talent, but he still has many years of experience to live and learnt from.
Like Paul was all dandy on 1st stratum and maybe second, but then knew when to focus on and stop playing around, Paul had more experience than Rudeous agaisnt such situations and especially in a labyrinth.
@Playcool Without going into spoiler territory I am definitely concerned about the next couple of episodes. I feel like Rifujin was treading a very fine line when writing the latter half of vol 12, and he did an incredible job. I'm not sure the anime will be able to pull it off, but I sure hope so. Any thoughts?
Jun 16, 12:07 PM

Jun 2019
Sigh... That dead silence after Rudy realized he had made a huge mistake. Hope this series ends well.
lettuce<3
Jun 16, 12:07 PM
May 2023
WT_WilsonT said:
i fucking cried and almost puked

same. i was screaming at the top of my lungs “YEAHHH!” and then rudy’s arm fell off and i was like “NOOO!” and then paul died and I was like “FUCKKK!”. when zenith couldn’t speak i almost puked like rudy did when he thought that roxy forget about him
Jun 16, 12:09 PM
Feb 2024
absolute peak of episode. really good fight so sad death and insane ending ...
Jun 16, 12:12 PM
Dec 2023
NAWW PAUL!!!! rudy basically lost both of his parents
Jun 16, 12:20 PM

Jan 2018
Reply to MangagnaM
@LordDurzo They definitely made it tough, limbs were flying off, Elinalise was burned by light contact a couple times, regeneration, etc. Keep in mind, the people that faced off against the hydra comprise of S-rank adventurers in Paul, Elinalise, Talhand and Geese, Roxy a Water King and one of the strongest water mages in the world and Rudeus, a guy who is good at voiceless incantation and is very versatile and trained heavily with even stronger people like Ruijerd while adventuring together in the Demon continent of all places with monsters. The people who fought the hydra are not too far from the best that can fight in this dungeon, and they still struggled a lot and lost Paul + Rudeus' hand.
@MangagnaM I have to respectfully disagree with you here about while it's true that all those mentioned are S-rank adventures aside from Roxy the likes of Paul, Elinalise and Talhand are actually not frontrunners in their respective professions. Paul is only Advanced class in all the sword styles, while for example Eris & Ghislaine are both Sword Kings in the Sword God style - Eris also outclasses him in North God style as a North Saint, Paul has versatility over them as an Advanced user in Water God style though. Elinalise did her job just fine as a Tank roll but Talhand was completely useless and only serves to show that the party dynamic was bad overall and goes to show how balance is really needed. So to clarify below

Tank class - Elinalise

Physical Attacker - Paul

Mid-range mage - Talhand

Long-range mage - Roxy, Rudy.

This is a bad dynamic of 'too much magic' in a team and it's very clear that there needs to be at minimum 2 capable attackers. It's a real shame because if either Ghislaine OR Eris had been present then fighting that hydra would have become a cakewalk, but because they were stuck with only 1 capable attacker we got this kind of result when faced against an enemy with a strong magic resistance. For a group of S-rank adventurers you'd think they'd notice the party dynamic wasn't optimal for facing an S-rank dungeon. On top of that Rudy was an otaku that played tons of video games, anyone with any type of fantasy RPG experience or had played any MMORPG knows at minimum to tackle instances you need a minimum of 1-tank 1-healer and 3 DPS.
Jun 16, 12:20 PM
May 2022
although they skipped lot of important details but it was devastating to see paul die any way he died as a happy father truly Father day.
Jun 16, 12:21 PM

Mar 2015
Ugh, I knew something was gonna happen when Rudy thought they had it in the bag. Didn't expect that kind of death. Ironic that Rudy didn't allow Paul to set a flag but he himself did.

Pretty sad death for Paul. Poor guy spent years bringing his family back together only to get killed.
Jun 16, 12:22 PM

Apr 2022
Well shit, now I know what that god meant by regretting the decision to go there. But Roxy and Rudeus' mom are alive, so it's still a net positive, right? Also there ain't no way Rudy will stay with one hand, not in a world of magic and demon eyes...
Jun 16, 12:23 PM
Dec 2015
What a episode! Press F for pay respect
Jun 16, 12:28 PM
Jan 2022
A beautiful episode that's for sure
Jun 16, 12:30 PM

May 2022
In my country, today is not Father's Day, but I imagine how impactful it was to the ones who celebrates it today.

The author of Mushoku Tensei is such a cruel person. Rudeus lost his father while saving his mother and after a few days he discovered that his mom isn't in a good state. Starting thinking that Rudeus' life is just suffering. Feeling really bad for him, even beside I knew it was coming.

This episode was better animated than I expected. The animators did a pretty good job. Fluid scenes and a good soundtrack while the fight was going on.

After all, hope Paul can rest in peace.
Jun 16, 12:40 PM
Dec 2013
i liked paul, RIP :(
Jun 16, 12:42 PM
Dec 2021
LordDurzo said:

Valid. Rudeus is kind of a clown but anime did him even dirtier. They showed him zone out in the middle of the fight not once but twice. In the LN though, he saw the Hydra's attack coming but since it was coming straight at him with it's head he couldn't decipher what his foresight was showing him and he froze.
Jun 16, 12:43 PM
Jan 2023
what an epic episode!
Jun 16, 12:43 PM
Oct 2018
goat goat goat goat
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» They caught Rudeus in real life ( 1 2 )

Ba-Cii10 - Yesterday

53 by Phloup »»
Yesterday, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

felixsifuri - Apr 7

267 by Me_Mario »»
Oct 25, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ArimaKana - Jun 23

373 by ARITRA_68722 »»
Oct 23, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jun 30

394 by denis_zerda »»
Oct 22, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MegamiRem - Jun 9

221 by Ragnar00lobrock »»
Oct 20, 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.