Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 30, 7:17 PM

Apr 2013
And when I say retro I mean nothing past 2000. I only watch 80s and 90s but will occasionally try some 70s. I'm know I'm depriving myself of some great anime but if it's not cel animation then I can't hardly look at it. Give me that raw and gritty 80s and 90s all day everyday!
Casual Anime fan who mostly watches 80s and 90s anime

MALgraph | Discord Hangout

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 30, 7:24 PM

Jun 2022
Most people do not touch anime much older than 10 years ago on here or they watch a variety from all eras, you will have few takers.
May 30, 7:35 PM

Dec 2021
I tried to, but curiosity keeps getting the better of me. I still barely keep up with modern stuff, though. But I get you. Once you get past the initial fear of how anime have aged (Which there are a lot of anime from every decade that aged poorly, but those are usually the minority), you find the good stuff.

The first scene from the first episode of Ashita no Joe, a very early '70s anime that's still incredibly gripping despite the age.

My soft limit is anything from before 1968 (For TV anime), though one day I'll break that.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
May 30, 7:37 PM

Jan 2017
only retro?
sounds like a very rare category of viewers.
maybe there's a club on here for that?
May 30, 7:47 PM

Mar 2021
Can't say I'm exclusive to watching older anime but I definitely lean towards it
May 30, 7:53 PM

Oct 2013
I get people like cel animation, but it's not coming back for various reasons. I hate to say it, but sooner or later you gotta either accept it or move on. It's not like there's an infinite amount of older anime and on top of that, there's bound to be some older stuff you aren't going to be into. I don't see the point of limiting yourself like that.
May 30, 7:57 PM

May 2019
I watch a lot of retro pre-2000 anime.
May 30, 7:59 PM

Apr 2013
Reply to FanofAction
I get people like cel animation, but it's not coming back for various reasons. I hate to say it, but sooner or later you gotta either accept it or move on. It's not like there's an infinite amount of older anime and on top of that, there's bound to be some older stuff you aren't going to be into. I don't see the point of limiting yourself like that.
@FanofAction Half of the reason I watch anime is for the animation. I will keep watching a show I'm not really into if I like the animation. I can't do that with digital. Same thing happened with Pixar and Dreamworks movies. I just couldn't get into them because of how they looked. They didn't appeal to me at all despite being considered revolutionary CGI.

But yeah I do understand even if I watch every 80s and 90s release I will eventually run out of stuff to watch and then be forced to enter then 21 century if I want to continue.

May 30, 8:02 PM

Oct 2014
I do like some old anime, but I've only seen about 500 anime from before 2000, which is only 12% of my list.
May 30, 8:08 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Iron_Leopard
@FanofAction Half of the reason I watch anime is for the animation. I will keep watching a show I'm not really into if I like the animation. I can't do that with digital. Same thing happened with Pixar and Dreamworks movies. I just couldn't get into them because of how they looked. They didn't appeal to me at all despite being considered revolutionary CGI.

But yeah I do understand even if I watch every 80s and 90s release I will eventually run out of stuff to watch and then be forced to enter then 21 century if I want to continue.
@Iron_Leopard I kinda get that, because I can sit through anything regardless of if I think it's good or not, so long as it's not boring. I just couldn't see myself sitting through something I actively didn't like just because of the animation. But to each their own, I suppose.
May 30, 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
I appreciate traditional cel animation more than digital. But I think the only animators still using that method is Yuri and Francheska Norstein.

You would probably appreciate their work.

May 30, 9:28 PM

Feb 2020
Nothing but retro anime? No, but I like some old anime.
May 30, 9:30 PM

Jan 2009
i did watch a lot of old retro anime back in the 1990s and early 2000s if that counts here on local tv
May 30, 9:49 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Daviljoe193
I tried to, but curiosity keeps getting the better of me. I still barely keep up with modern stuff, though. But I get you. Once you get past the initial fear of how anime have aged (Which there are a lot of anime from every decade that aged poorly, but those are usually the minority), you find the good stuff.

The first scene from the first episode of Ashita no Joe, a very early '70s anime that's still incredibly gripping despite the age.

My soft limit is anything from before 1968 (For TV anime), though one day I'll break that.
Daviljoe193 said:

My limit is black and white. 1967 has a few color shows that interest me, but the only older one I can think of is Jungle Emperor.
その目だれの目?
May 30, 9:56 PM

Mar 2021
Iron_Leopard said:
Any other Retro Anime watchers only?

While I do love "retro" Anime, I wouldn't go as far as to say "only".

Cutting off only watching Anime up till the turn of the century extremely limits what one can experience from this medium. Eventually there will come a point when one simply can't find any Anime they haven't seen before. Or it would simply amount to only watching the same Anime titles over and over again because literally nothing new is actually being produced anymore.

On top of this, not all Anime produced before the turn of the century is easy to come by. I am one of the rare few who simply won't settle on consuming something that was never meant to be digitally converted in the 1st place. Ripped from either a worn down VHS tape, wonky ripped Laserdisc copy, or even ripped from the older formatted DVDs. Consuming Anime before the turn of the century dramatically loses it's appeal by being viewed on a tiny ass computer monitor being illegally streamed leaving an undesirable loss of quality. I would simply hunt down an expensive and even sometimes over priced out of print Laserdisc copies of an Anime series to be able to actually enjoy watching on a Full screen monitor larger than a 45" screen before wasting my time to consume something that was never meant to be digitally converted in the 1st place having a completely low-fi experience.

Also the gritty 80s and 90s feeling you get from watching Anime doesn't suddenly cut off at the turn of the century in my opinion. There are plenty of Anime titles that released during the 2000s where even "Golgo 13" TV series and "009-1" still manage to keep a gritty feel largely due to the fact these titles were still being broadcasted in standard definition and even 1st released in such quality on Official physical released copies as well. These particular Anime titles released closer to the end of the 2000s too. Specifically "009-1" was never re-released like "Golgo 13" was eventually on Blu-ray. But I wouldn't even suggest trying to watch the re-released edition of the "Golgo 13" series on Blu-ray because it's actually worse than simply watching it in standard definition in my opinion (all they did was upscale the picture to look larger and did a sloppy job trying to clean up the visual artifacts from doing so making the experience crappier which actually reduced the original gritty felling dramatically that it use to offer when trying to watch it). Also looking at modern Anime, a title like "Mushoku Tensei" makes use of a type of grainy process that gives a viewer like me a different type of gritty feeling when consuming it.

Cel animation certainly does have it's charm specifically if you like Anime with a gritty feel to it. But not all Anime released before the Turn of the century is good. In fact quite a large selection of Anime titles are actually just as bad to watch before the turn of the century almost as much as all the modern trashy seasonal releases audiences get constantly bombarded with each year.
ColourWheelMay 30, 10:06 PM
May 30, 9:59 PM

Oct 2022
I would be cool to watch some retro anime but actually getting access to it is another matter.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 31, 12:11 AM

Mar 2023
The 90s sucked. In the 40s however they were trying to teach the Japanese youth how to be a real warrior and did not do the depraved otaku pandering of the late 20th century. It's a reason why the 90s is consider the lost decade in Japan.

May 31, 12:29 AM

Aug 2021
I don't watch exclusively retro, but I have been working through everything of note between 1980-2000. I focus mostly on OVA's or movies, but I throw in a few TV series that are notable enough on top of that. Unless something comes up I'll probably have it all done by the end of this summer.
May 31, 12:41 AM

May 2018
"Retro Anime watchers only"

Why limiting yourself tho?
May 31, 12:42 AM

Jul 2014
The vast majority of what I watch lately could be considered retro anime, though my most recently finished is The Animatrix, which just barely makes it outside your criteria. I don't really do it because I refuse to watch new things, I just like exploring old oddities and finding some hidden gems there.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
May 31, 3:10 AM

May 2021
Iron_Leopard said:
And when I say retro I mean nothing past 2000. I only watch 80s and 90s but will occasionally try some 70s. I'm know I'm depriving myself of some great anime but if it's not cel animation then I can't hardly look at it. Give me that raw and gritty 80s and 90s all day everyday!

I love cel animation but don't stick exclusively to it

Some retro anime recs to add to your collection

Versailles no Bara (1979)
Cat's Eye (1983)
Dragon Ball (1986) - i'm wondering why this classic is missing from your list
Devilman OVA (1987)
Ranma 1/2 (1989)
Yuu Yuu Hakusho (1992)
Let's & Go (1996)
X/1999 (1996) - personally don't think it's the best executed story, but animation is a feast for the eyes
Perfect Blue (1998)
Digimon Adventure (1999)
Hunter x Hunter (1999)
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) - i know the thread says nothing past 2000, but i see you've reached 2007 with Claymore

And one modern rec you could try

Sousou no Frieren (2023) - i'm not an animation expert so can't be 100% sure, but it def looks like cel animation, and has 0 CGI
May 31, 3:16 AM

Jun 2020
I've only watched some classics like Dragonball or Cardcaptor Sakura. Loved both, so I want to check out more oldies eventually..

I highly recommend you check out Megalo Box, OP. It is a modern anime and digital but has done several techniques to make it look like it's cel animation. Check this clip out
May 31, 4:11 AM

Feb 2021
I also like to watch old anime, I feel nostalgy.
May 31, 4:16 AM

Aug 2020
I'm looking for more shows like this, but I don't like focusing only in them.

Jun 1, 9:06 AM

Sep 2016
Iron_Leopard said:
I only watch 80s and 90s but will occasionally try some 70s.
There's also some stuff from 2000-2005 that still looks and feels like from the 90s, just saying.

FanofAction said:
It's not like there's an infinite amount of older anime
There are over 5000 pre-millennial Anime on MAL, that's enough for a lifetime.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 1, 10:25 AM

Oct 2013
@Zarutaku Doesn't matter. Like I said, that number decreases significantly if you discount everything you have no interest in. This only applies if you're willing to sit through literally everything regardless of how much you like it, which op basically told me they are. Most people would skip or drop things they have no interest in.

My favorite time-frame for anime is mid 2000's-2010's. There's tons of stuff that came out during those years. I'm not going to watch all of it though, because I have preferences.
Jun 1, 10:49 AM
Jan 2021
I would say 95% of what I watch now is from before 2000. I haven't seen anything put out this year, and I think only watched about two shows made last year. I don't like what they're putting out now, but I do enjoy digging through old OVAs to find the best ones. It's such a shame so much of it is becoming lost media, seemingly nowhere to be found anymore on the internet.
Jun 1, 3:18 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to FanofAction
@Zarutaku Doesn't matter. Like I said, that number decreases significantly if you discount everything you have no interest in. This only applies if you're willing to sit through literally everything regardless of how much you like it, which op basically told me they are. Most people would skip or drop things they have no interest in.

My favorite time-frame for anime is mid 2000's-2010's. There's tons of stuff that came out during those years. I'm not going to watch all of it though, because I have preferences.
@FanofAction Even then there would enough left to watch for many years.
Jun 1, 3:34 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Zarutaku
@FanofAction Even then there would enough left to watch for many years.
@Zarutaku I find that hard to believe with how many I've seen talk about how they're running out of "good" shows to watch when they barely scratched the surface. People can be really picky.
Jun 1, 3:40 PM

Apr 2024
I think limiting myself to a time frame of anime would be a waste. Cel animation looks nice, but there are some really good styles that can really only be done feasibly in digital. It's also a time saver, and animators have it hard enough as is...

Big fan of some older stuff like Mazinger, getter, and OG Gundam... Wait, that's all Mecha....
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Jun 2, 9:01 AM

Jan 2022
bro i mean i've watched some retro anime like maybe 20 or 30 retro anime but i think you're overdoing by not watching anything that's not cel animation lol
LenReaJun 2, 9:04 AM
Jun 2, 9:28 AM

Jul 2013
I watch retro anime sometimes. But retro isn't the only thing I watch. I watch some modern anime shows i.e. stuff made after the 2000s.
Jun 2, 9:52 AM

Aug 2012
Well, I've watched anime that were released in the 1910s and 1920s. Pretty sure I've watched my fair share of pre-2000 anime. As long as an anime isn't hentai or lost media, EVERYTHING under the sun is fair game for me.
Jun 2, 9:56 AM

Oct 2019
The issue with watching only retro anime is that within 5-10 years, you will probably just straight up run out. and you run out of the good ones even sooner. There aren't THAT many pre 2000s anime out there, I can't imagine there being more than 1000 or so.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 2, 10:23 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to APolygons2
The issue with watching only retro anime is that within 5-10 years, you will probably just straight up run out. and you run out of the good ones even sooner. There aren't THAT many pre 2000s anime out there, I can't imagine there being more than 1000 or so.
@APolygons2
Zarutaku's earlier post said there are well over 5,000. But I expect the good ones number well under 1,000.
その目だれの目?
Jun 2, 10:51 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Lucifrost
@APolygons2
Zarutaku's earlier post said there are well over 5,000. But I expect the good ones number well under 1,000.
@Lucifrost 5000?! that is WAY more than I thought. How? every season from like 70s and before has like 1-3 new anime. and before 60s that number is basically a few per year at most.

So the vast majority of these have to be from 80s and 90s, and I have a hard time seeing they can result in 5000 anime!!

It's not that I don't believe you, I just have a hard time imagining how these 5000 shows are split between the years.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 2, 11:01 AM

May 2021
Reply to APolygons2
@Lucifrost 5000?! that is WAY more than I thought. How? every season from like 70s and before has like 1-3 new anime. and before 60s that number is basically a few per year at most.

So the vast majority of these have to be from 80s and 90s, and I have a hard time seeing they can result in 5000 anime!!

It's not that I don't believe you, I just have a hard time imagining how these 5000 shows are split between the years.
@APolygons2 Actually, considering now there's close to 60000 anime entries on the database, that sounds like quite little, even considering that over the years there've been more anime released per year
Jun 2, 11:02 AM
Apr 2024
Sooner or later, old anime will run out. Watching them on repeat seems boring to me. I know from my own experience that while I might revisit something old for nostalgia, I can just as easily get hooked on something completely new.
Jun 2, 11:06 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to APolygons2

@APolygons2
Don't ask me, ask @Zarutaku.
その目だれの目?
Jun 2, 11:07 AM
Nov 2022
I simply watch both retro and new anime
Jun 2, 11:08 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to DigiCat
@APolygons2 Actually, considering now there's close to 60000 anime entries on the database, that sounds like quite little, even considering that over the years there've been more anime released per year
@DigiCat What? where did you get that number?

There are exactly 13316 rated anime on mal as of now: https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?limit=13300

And this include Chinese animations as well, so it's not even all anime.

I guess there are anime that are so unpopular that they don't have a rating, but are you telling me the number of unrated anime is about 4 times bigger than all of the rated anime on the website?

That just doesn't sound right.
Also available at:

Jun 2, 11:30 AM

Sep 2016
@APolygons2 @DigiCat

There are 26657 Anime entries right now (including unreleased ones): https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?limit=26650

Thereof 5138 are pre-millennial (including a few ongoing shows like One Piece and Sazae-san):
https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?cat=0&q=&type=0&score=0&status=0&p=0&r=0&sm=1&sd=1&sy=1917&em=12&ed=31&ey=1999&c%5B0%5D=a&c%5B1%5D=b&c%5B2%5D=c&c%5B3%5D=d&c%5B4%5D=e&c%5B5%5D=f&o=2&w=1
Jun 2, 11:37 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to APolygons2

There are exactly 13316 rated anime on mal as of now: https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?limit=13300

I guess there are anime that are so unpopular that they don't have a rating, but are you telling me the number of unrated anime is about 4 times bigger than all of the rated anime on the website?

@APolygons2

Despite what people might be claiming...

MAL database is deceiving because any entry that is added to the database without any release date added to it automatically gets shifted to the very end of the database (most of it is Chinese garbage and just general 2000+ kids shows mixed together before the turn of the century). So these entries act like they existed before the very 1st Anime ever produced in the Database. Compounded with the fact there is over 3 pages alone of Anime tagged as Hentia, there are also music video entries, random shorts, one shot OVAs, specials, Movie releases, etc...

There is not nearly 5000+ Anime to watch before the turn of the century.

A more realistic number would be anywhere between at most around 500 - 800 of actual Japanese Anime titles released before the turn of the century and this is given it the benefit of the doubt when excluding entries in the database that are completely lost media where about a quarter to half of shows in the database before the turn of the century technically have never had a legit official physical release before.
ColourWheelJun 2, 12:25 PM
Jun 2, 12:11 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Silverlight41
Silverlight41 said:

Same here as long i have the time and motivation to watch retro or older anime.
Jun 2, 1:41 PM

Apr 2013
Thanks for all the replies so far. Maybe when I watch everything I want to watch pre 2000 I might just be done with anime altogether. Or maybe I will try newer stuff I have no clue.

Jun 2, 1:41 PM

May 2021
Reply to APolygons2

APolygons2 said:
What? where did you get that number?

Just go to anime search and click on the main demographics, then put them in order from newest, the newest entries are numbers 58/59000ish

1) Calculate up to 2025/26 (entries that haven't aired yet)

2) 60000 is a rough estimate, as the database includes lost media, music videos, recaps
Still, even if say these categories combined amount to 20000 entries, you're still left with 40000 series, movies, OVA/ONAs as of 2025/26
Jun 2, 1:52 PM

May 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@APolygons2 @DigiCat

There are 26657 Anime entries right now (including unreleased ones): https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?limit=26650

Thereof 5138 are pre-millennial (including a few ongoing shows like One Piece and Sazae-san):
https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?cat=0&q=&type=0&score=0&status=0&p=0&r=0&sm=1&sd=1&sy=1917&em=12&ed=31&ey=1999&c%5B0%5D=a&c%5B1%5D=b&c%5B2%5D=c&c%5B3%5D=d&c%5B4%5D=e&c%5B5%5D=f&o=2&w=1
@Zarutaku Thanks, i actually just checked and it seems not every entry in numbered consecutively (i assume due to the unapproved entries)

So 60000 is the amount of entires submitted, and i was about to say the entries accepted was more likely closer to half of that
Jun 2, 2:17 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to ColourWheel
@APolygons2

Despite what people might be claiming...

MAL database is deceiving because any entry that is added to the database without any release date added to it automatically gets shifted to the very end of the database (most of it is Chinese garbage and just general 2000+ kids shows mixed together before the turn of the century). So these entries act like they existed before the very 1st Anime ever produced in the Database. Compounded with the fact there is over 3 pages alone of Anime tagged as Hentia, there are also music video entries, random shorts, one shot OVAs, specials, Movie releases, etc...

There is not nearly 5000+ Anime to watch before the turn of the century.

A more realistic number would be anywhere between at most around 500 - 800 of actual Japanese Anime titles released before the turn of the century and this is given it the benefit of the doubt when excluding entries in the database that are completely lost media where about a quarter to half of shows in the database before the turn of the century technically have never had a legit official physical release before.
@ColourWheel @APolygons2

Those dateless modern Anime are already excluded from the advanced search I performed, there are still over 5000 pre-millennial entries.

https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?cat=0&q=&type=0&score=0&status=0&p=0&r=0&sm=1&sd=1&sy=1917&em=12&ed=31&ey=1999&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&c[3]=d&c[4]=e&c[5]=f&o=2&w=1&o=2&w=2
Jun 2, 2:40 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@ColourWheel @APolygons2

Those dateless modern Anime are already excluded from the advanced search I performed, there are still over 5000 pre-millennial entries.

https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?cat=0&q=&type=0&score=0&status=0&p=0&r=0&sm=1&sd=1&sy=1917&em=12&ed=31&ey=1999&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&c[3]=d&c[4]=e&c[5]=f&o=2&w=1&o=2&w=2
@Zarutaku

Going by your advanced search I quickly looked over the stuff you found and this was one of them... "Docchi ni Suru?"

You will likely run into similar type entries that make absolutely no sense to even have in the database. The only reason I could imagine it being in there is because of an extremely obscure kids DVD release of a complication of other extremely short animation works for kids jammed together.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?id=18033

It would be like the equivalent of taking apart "Robot Carnival" and then individually add entries for each of the 9 short animation works the movie offered in the MAL database.
ColourWheelJun 2, 2:46 PM
Jun 2, 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
To the exclusion of all else? No. However, I've been a fan of anime for almost 30 years having started in the mid '90s, so I started with "retro" anime and don't have any issue watching them. I'll watch anything if if the story sounds good. I've seen at least 560 titles produced from 1969-1999.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - 4 hours ago

16 by ZXEAN »»
3 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Sep 23

76 by Rally- »»
50 minutes ago

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - 7 hours ago

7 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
1 hour ago

» What Anime is boring to you ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 24

58 by luisfunes99 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 7 hours ago

20 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.