Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 4, 7:34 PM
Apr 2022
Robert is right.

This is supposed to be Doga Kobo's tentpole anniversary project. Right?

Nah.

But its simply Yuri. All about the yuri.

Whats the plot and story again?
They didnt even move the main plot this episode lfmao...all dropped to solely focus on the Yuri.

See? What more proof do you need that the its totally and conclusively clear that production team does not care about the story anymore.
It provably and conclusively shows that they do indeed know and acknowledge and so admit, that the story and plot is very weak and thus non-existent, it just sets up the Yuri relationship.

Seeing how receptive the audience is, from reddits to MAL I expect no less than 9.86 for this show soon.
May 4, 7:36 PM
Dec 2007
RobertBobert said:
@GGcc78 We can literally say this about any work by any author. And even so, this does not mean that they put exactly the meaning that you or I personally want. At the same time, his tweets weren't ambiguous, What exactly do you think is ambiguous here?

Yes, you can say this about any author. You SHOULD say this about any author. One of the first things you learn in any literary course is to be aware of a writters whole body of work. You don't learn about Tolstoy or Shakespear in a vacuum. Through their works, you learn about them, what they're trying to convey, and by understanding themes, you can follow the path the writer is trying to take.

As for ambiguous, yuri is a matter of personal interpretation. It leaves it to you. He doesn't say what it is or is not. He's saying it's up to you to determine it
GGcc78May 4, 7:39 PM
May 4, 7:40 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to GGcc78
RobertBobert said:
@GGcc78 We can literally say this about any work by any author. And even so, this does not mean that they put exactly the meaning that you or I personally want. At the same time, his tweets weren't ambiguous, What exactly do you think is ambiguous here?

Yes, you can say this about any author. You SHOULD say this about any author. One of the first things you learn in any literary course is to be aware of a writters whole body of work. You don't learn about Tolstoy or Shakespear in a vacuum. Through their works, you learn about them, what they're trying to convey, and by understanding themes, you can follow the path the writer is trying to take.

As for ambiguous, yuri is a matter of personal interpretation. It leaves it to you. He doesn't say what it is or is not. He's saying it's up to you to determine it
@GGcc78 Let's be clear. Did you know that the author didn't come up with the idea for this show? He was simply hired as a screenwriter. And do you understand that you are familiar with only one of his other works and that even good knowledge of it does not mean that you know the author completely and can understand the meaning of any of his ideas in any other works?

Tomozaki and Jellyfish are not only different works in different genres, but also works for different audiences. I doubt you can talk so easily about certain ideas in Jellyfish simply because you read Tomozaki a lot.
May 4, 7:50 PM
Dec 2007
RobertBobert said:
@GGcc78 Let's be clear. Did you know that the author didn't come up with the idea for this show? He was simply hired as a screenwriter. And do you understand that you are familiar with only one of his other works and that even good knowledge of it does not mean that you know the author completely and can understand the meaning of any of his ideas in any other works?

Tomozaki and Jellyfish are not only different works in different genres, but also works for different audiences. I doubt you can talk so easily about certain ideas in Jellyfish simply because you read Tomozaki a lot.

Wait, so you're trying to attribute specific meaning to a tweet that flat out states the topic is up to interpretation but want to disregard everything else? A one sentence ambiguous tweet?

Yes, I am aware he was a hired screenwriter. I'm also aware that the screenwriter is one of the single most I portent people in the crafting of an original series. But seeing as how you're not actually familiar with what the writter has done in the past, this conversation really is like pissing in the wind. You were right, this is a waste of time
May 4, 7:54 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to GGcc78
RobertBobert said:

Wait, so you're trying to attribute specific meaning to a tweet that flat out states the topic is up to interpretation but want to disregard everything else? A one sentence ambiguous tweet?

Yes, I am aware he was a hired screenwriter. I'm also aware that the screenwriter is one of the single most I portent people in the crafting of an original series. But seeing as how you're not actually familiar with what the writter has done in the past, this conversation really is like pissing in the wind. You were right, this is a waste of time
@GGcc78 There's a difference between tweeting about blurry things and blurry tweets itself. I think it's pretty obvious.

One of, but not the only and not always. In this case, the work was supervised by the director and we do not know how much and who was involved. But you are right, if you are going to continue to replace the lack of arguments with such a rude and arrogant tone, trying to take revenge on me for criticizing your arguments, then we really have nothing to discuss. Goodbye.
May 4, 7:55 PM

Dec 2021
Yoru is incredibly relatable, especially with the imposter syndrome theme hitting close to home. The feeling of being replaceable really stings. I appreciate how they portrayed Yoru's ongoing struggle with insecurity, even after meeting Kano. Despite her lingering doubts, she's learning to manage them better.

I also appreciate that the show didn't resort to the cliché of brushing off Yoru's feelings and letting them fester. When she asked about whose art was better between hers and the more famous artist, it was a raw moment. The show isn't afraid to explore Yoru's complex emotions, and it handles the drama exceptionally well.

May 4, 7:59 PM

Nov 2023
Dont usually leave comments but damn this chapter was great. I was praying for a chapter that touched on Mahiru and her whole dynamic with having left drawing behind and feeling like she isn't special at all. I hope episodes going forward touch on topics like this over internet fame and approval more
May 4, 8:02 PM

Jul 2015
Oh, no! They went to the aquarium! Now yuri shippers will say it's definite.

May 4, 8:02 PM
Dec 2007
Reply to RobertBobert
@GGcc78 There's a difference between tweeting about blurry things and blurry tweets itself. I think it's pretty obvious.

One of, but not the only and not always. In this case, the work was supervised by the director and we do not know how much and who was involved. But you are right, if you are going to continue to replace the lack of arguments with such a rude and arrogant tone, trying to take revenge on me for criticizing your arguments, then we really have nothing to discuss. Goodbye.
@RobertBobert

My brother in Christ, the fact that you can unironically write this

if you are going to continue to replace the lack of arguments with such a rude and arrogant tone

Is telling. From your first response to me, you were an arrogant ass. I bit my tongue. Your arrogance persisted.

Not once have you made an argument. Not once. All you've done in this entire thread is belittle me, and other posters. You want clarification on what he meant by Yuri is up to interpretation? Guess what? You're not going to get one. Why? Because the man has made it *clear* That he doesn't believe in doing so.

May 4, 8:08 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to GGcc78
@RobertBobert

My brother in Christ, the fact that you can unironically write this

if you are going to continue to replace the lack of arguments with such a rude and arrogant tone

Is telling. From your first response to me, you were an arrogant ass. I bit my tongue. Your arrogance persisted.

Not once have you made an argument. Not once. All you've done in this entire thread is belittle me, and other posters. You want clarification on what he meant by Yuri is up to interpretation? Guess what? You're not going to get one. Why? Because the man has made it *clear* That he doesn't believe in doing so.

@GGcc78 Intensifying the rude and arrogant tone is not the best way to refute being calling out for rude and arrogant behavior. But again, I'm not going to discuss anything with people who simply can't accept disagreeing with them. Especially when such a tone on your part is simply not justified and you use such simple logical errors as “repetition of the argument” and mirroring in the style of “no, you!” All the best, this is my last answer to you.
May 4, 8:11 PM
Dec 2007
RobertBobert said:
@GGcc78 Intensifying the rude and arrogant tone is not the best way to refute being calling out for rude and arrogant behavior. But again, I'm not going to discuss anything with people who simply can't accept disagreeing with them. Especially when such a tone on your part is simply not justified and you use such simple logical errors as “repetition of the argument” and mirroring in the style of “no, you!” All the best, this is my last answer to you.

Yep, still a prick
May 4, 8:11 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Pieromysl
Oh, no! They went to the aquarium! Now yuri shippers will say it's definite.
@Piromysl Lol, don't even remind me. The belief among shippers that aquariums literally have some kind of special significance in yuri beyond just being one of the classic places to stroll in modern Japanese urban culture is truly ineradicable. There's no point in talking about it, because as soon as people realize that you're still questioning their arguments, they immediately call you an prick, etc.
May 4, 8:36 PM
Jun 2016
I was mostly just enjoying this show so far, but I think this episode clinched it for me. This anime is (and I simplify): Typical saccharine and melodrama moments peppered in with quirky characters that easily get sucked into to intense moments of seriousness. I don't really get wrapped up in stories like these unless they reveal something special or particular about its cast. While the first few episodes were directed gorgeously the character introductions didn't really provide an exciting first impression. Sometimes this leads to "A Place Further Than The Universe" type shows (YAY!) or "Lycoris Recoil" type shows (EHH!).

This episode focused on Mahiru and her imposter syndrome and was very much the inflection point for really understanding the headspace of these girls' struggles. Like... the previous episodes well, while they demonstrate the struggles with much clarity the "headspace" part of the equation of empathy was a bit tougher for me to find my way into. Not only is Mahiru's struggle not oversimplified but it also doesn't treat her conniptions as trivial or childish. It's a tough balance to strike but they found something perfect. It made me realize something I've felt about art, fandoms, and the internet for a long time while making me also feel as if I'd just discovered that feeling for the first time.

I love how it isn't simply solved for her by the end. It's an ongoing problem and she's working for a way to get through it on her own. Even the conversation she has with Kano, though short, doesn't seek to magically get her to the conclusion she needs to get to, however Kano still acts as her inspiration for finding it! And the little kiss at the end? I mean... I did not think we'd be getting anything like that.

I suppose it helps that "struggling artist" is a lot more personal to me compared to musical idol/fangirl/streamer. It may be the most relatable trait of the 4. Despite the show's best effort to make ALL OF these characters relatable/personal, I haven't found each character the same level of "convincing real person" yet even if I see a lot of good writing instincts for how the story-tellers try to accrue audience empathy. But that makes this episode's small miracle all the more powerful.

May 4, 8:56 PM
May 2021
God, that was such a good episode. Mahiru's insecurity and feelings of inferiority hit WAY too close to home as someone who draws :') The way she told Kano half-truths when confronted, and also how being reassured and repeatedly told that her art is the only one for JELEE still didn't magically cure her insecurities... It's a really great touch of realism I appreciate.
I'm hoping to see her insecurities continue to peek through a bit even as she's actively working to get to a point where she feels more confident in herself. Really, really excellent writing from episode 1 and it hasn't dropped the ball once.

Romantic or not, Kano's relationship with Mahiru is really sweet and I love their dynamic together. The new song essentially being a letter from Kano to Mahiru was a really nice way to wrap up everything that happened this episode.

Admittedly, I'd always thought Mahiru and Kano were cute together from the start, but I wasn't expecting anything to actually happen between any of the characters. Despite this, I'm not sure how I feel about it. The writing has been top-tier so far, but it's so easy to fumble once romance comes into play. I'm especially worried because of Mei and how she would react to it, and I'm not a fan of romance being the cause of tensions within a group or becoming too heavy of a focus. I guess I'll have to see how episode 6 will handle things but I have high hopes regardless of what direction they take!
May 4, 10:07 PM

May 2015
What happened? Did we just hop on the yuri train with this episode or was that a simple girls being girls moment I shouldn't see more into? We have two extremely bland yuri anime this season, but this one - even if it doesn't go down that road- is so well written and directed that I wouldn't mind such a turn! This episode again was so well crafted dealing with Mahiru's self-doubt, mood-swings, and then how those became the source of motivation for her to become better and work harder on her skills. Nothing new in those themes in anime but through the lens of this story they are shown with so much freshness and empathy that it is hard not to like this show.
IshitatesoMay 4, 10:24 PM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
May 4, 10:48 PM
Oct 2019
Oh my god i went back to the last episode ed song and it was really there. LMAO

Damn that one Hate comment always gonna ruined you.

The Human Drama is felt so realistic, kudos to the writing they know what they are COOKING!!

WOAHHHH
THAT KISS OUT OF NOWHERE!!
May 4, 11:29 PM
Feb 2021
Aquarium date, AND (cheek) kiss on the 5th episode? Is this the yuri GOAT fr?!?!

That aside, great episode, the particular character drama is 2nd to Kiwi's in hitting me in the feels. I guess they each hit differently for people? Some may relate to Mei more, or Kano. Not that relatibility is any measure of quality writing, interesting must still be the name of the game. That said, I can't help but be compelled with the emotions they feel, how would I feel to be in their shoes.
May 4, 11:35 PM

Jul 2017
It turns out that JELEE uploaded the wrong song, which led to viewers discovering a cursed song, but it got them the much-needed publicity anyways. Everything is positive, and they're ready to move onto the next big thing, though comments good and bad are forthcoming, and to make matters worse, the retention numbers are not doing well, at least in Mahiru's aspect. Kano going to visit Mahiru after getting the info from Kiui, she instinctively knows that something is wrong with her, and the former feels that she's too ordinary as compared to Kano, Mei and Kiui, ither than the fact that her "ordinary" drawings have been surpassed by one of the fan arts, drawn by a reputable person.

A livestream to introduce JELEE, it's for a good start, though the artist side still bugs Mahiru deep in her heart. To that extent, Kano taking her to an aquarium to see jellyfishes, both girls have an exquisite relationship together. But the bad comments coming in that as much as it wreathes Mahiru, she finds herself re-studying, mastering and illustrating art once again, it paints a better picture this time being a perfect product going into the New Year. The celebrations don't end for both Mahiru and Kano, celebrating through the snow...and Kano instinctively kissing Mahiru through her feelings...?

Holy wowsers, that Yuri kiss caught me off-guard.
May 4, 11:52 PM
Aug 2022
isn't have red flag?!🚩🚩
May 5, 1:23 AM
Apr 2024
Great episode! I loved the portrayal of Mahiru's insecurity; imposter syndrome is something most of us go through and it's the worst feeling.

I hope in a future episode they go into the dangers of paying so much attention to online comments. The way she kept checking the numbers and reading every criticism of her drawing was so stressful, and I feel like that wasn't really addressed at all this episode. At a certain point you need to ignore it or find a way to only focus on constructive criticism, since there are lots of people who will spew hatred for no reason other than wanting you to feel like shit.
Average MAL user's media literacy:
Marinate1016 said:
Not reading allat cause I don’t care. Tensura peak. Have a good one tho
May 5, 2:14 AM
Sep 2016
Come on, Guys, what are you talking abt? This is not a yuri title. Nothing here is even came close to Yuri. They're just really close friends.... Geez....

PS: In case you didn't notice, just in case, this is clearly sarcasm. This show has gone full yuri route as of this EP. Praise be the yuri goddess.
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
May 5, 2:25 AM

Oct 2016
IT'S YURI. IT'S YURI.

Well, before we get to that, loved the episode, especially dealing with Yoru's imposter syndrome. It makes a whole lot of sense that she's not used to criticism, I mean I don't think anyone can really get used to it, no one wants to be criticized, it's how you deal with those criticisms. I am glad Yoru chose to improve herself, so that she can be confident in her art. It's also partly thanks to Kano.

Now, the elephant in the room, in my honest opinion, I think they're gonna go all in. The way that scene was composed, there's no way it's just bait, that girl Kano is in love in love for real. And with all the different topics this show deals with, it wouldn't be surprising if they deal with homosexuality as well.

Man, I hope every episode gets an MV, songs are great, even the cursed one.

Anyway, looks like Whisper Me a Love Song has very very serious competition lmao.
May 5, 2:29 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to uncleqrow
Come on, Guys, what are you talking abt? This is not a yuri title. Nothing here is even came close to Yuri. They're just really close friends.... Geez....

PS: In case you didn't notice, just in case, this is clearly sarcasm. This show has gone full yuri route as of this EP. Praise be the yuri goddess.
@uncleqrow It was really good sarcasm until you went to the opposite extreme by saying that one kiss on the cheek without any context means "full yuri route". It would be better to take an example from @sKyBlazer08, who reasonable speaks about his opinion, even if he thinks things are quite obvious. But one way or another, yes, the author still stands by his claim that any yuri in this show is up to interpretation, sorry if I'm ruining your passion.

@thehornedrat I understand what you're want to say, but I was talking about audience reaction, not production team. I will completely understand and accept if Doga Kobo, with all their history, make their anniversary project yuri. The problem is that, as you can see from this thread, any hint of ships instantly makes shipping the only thing people are interested in and discussing (in some cases, even years after the end of the show and the sinking of ships, read on YouTube the discussion of clips from the 8th episode of Hibike). Sure, I prefer platonic stories more than yuri, but I actually wouldn't mind if they made it COMPLETELY open to at least ended controversy and speculation. But unfortunately, regardless of further development or the author's intentions, this will now most likely become the classic "gay or not gay" flame bait this season.
RobertBobertMay 5, 3:34 AM
May 5, 3:55 AM
Feb 2024
that little peck on the cheek was too much for me. Nothing matters anymore, I can die happily now.
May 5, 3:57 AM
Mar 2018
It's actually nice for a change that an episode focused around the effects of a negative comment actually leads to a character eventually going "You know what? Fuck you, I'm gonna prove you wrong" and then works to better themselves.
May 5, 4:01 AM

Jul 2019
It's getting quite cringey, especially when they force themselves to show a comedic scene (probably wannabe neighbor's gag). Frankly, I like this anime on the first to third episode, but now there is also a yuri scene? Oh my, I think I'll quit xD
May 5, 5:57 AM
Jan 2024
The kiss at the end. I was not expecting for this show to be Yuri.
May 5, 7:09 AM

Mar 2015
Reply to Temp8
It's getting quite cringey, especially when they force themselves to show a comedic scene (probably wannabe neighbor's gag). Frankly, I like this anime on the first to third episode, but now there is also a yuri scene? Oh my, I think I'll quit xD
@Temp8 same, Im probably not the target audience becaue my enjoyment deteriorated very rapidly. tbf, the fanservice was kinda sus from the start, mb Im getting too old for this idk. I feel like the me from 10 yrs ago would be very much into this cunny yuri bullshit but for the me of today it was just "ew, yikes"
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
May 5, 8:49 AM
Dec 2022
honestly, I think the way they depict how artis comparing themselves to others and doubting their own worth was pretty well done, truly a common experience many artis face at some point in their career.
May 5, 10:00 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
@GGcc78 I don't think Tomozaki is a good example here, not to mention all these comparisons would still be pure speculation. Although it’s strange that no one remembered Mimimi with her “friendly jokes” on the verge of sexual harassment, which they always portrayed as jokes, and not a hint of attraction.

I'm interested in something else. Why is the author still not commenting on episode 5 and not changing his words that “yuri is a matter of personal interpretation”, although the cliffhanger of this episode is actually able to ask the question about yuri directly. Judging by his tweets, it doesn't seem like he's one of those people who separates yuri from conventionally realistic lesbian content. Although he clearly supports the idea of ​​interpretations or platonic yuri IN GENERAL.
@RobertBobert more than 100 comments to talk about this chapter, and the only thing I read are discussions of whether it is Yuri or not in an anime that was supposed to be about music and personal improvement. I have nothing against Yuri, but in an original anime of only 12 episodes you can hardly explore a romance unless you forget the plot of the story and focus on it. Let's not forget that there are four characters here, and if they focus on the relationship Of two of them of The other two characters stay in no man's territory, unless they also make them couples and leave the music aside and this becomes a romance anime hahaha
HormigoMay 5, 10:05 AM
May 5, 10:07 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Hormigo
@RobertBobert more than 100 comments to talk about this chapter, and the only thing I read are discussions of whether it is Yuri or not in an anime that was supposed to be about music and personal improvement. I have nothing against Yuri, but in an original anime of only 12 episodes you can hardly explore a romance unless you forget the plot of the story and focus on it. Let's not forget that there are four characters here, and if they focus on the relationship Of two of them of The other two characters stay in no man's territory, unless they also make them couples and leave the music aside and this becomes a romance anime hahaha
@Hormigo Well, the “you have four main characters but you only focus on two” syndrome is a pretty old problem with anime like this. But I agree that people clearly suddenly stop caring about anything else when the potential of ships appears on the horizon. I don’t know whether there will really be romance here or not, but such a hyper-focus on ships a la Yuri on Ice simply devalues ​​all the previously shown advantages of the show. Although it could be even worse, as in Hibike for example. When all the talk about the depth and intelligence of the show was actually a cover for pairings and shipping. And when the show began to sink ships, many who had previously actively praised the show for its depth simply began cynically calling it bad.
May 5, 10:20 AM

Nov 2020
what? I was silently shipping them and it actually delivered wtf. I didn't saw that one coming. It was cute tho
May 5, 10:27 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
@Hormigo Well, the “you have four main characters but you only focus on two” syndrome is a pretty old problem with anime like this. But I agree that people clearly suddenly stop caring about anything else when the potential of ships appears on the horizon. I don’t know whether there will really be romance here or not, but such a hyper-focus on ships a la Yuri on Ice simply devalues ​​all the previously shown advantages of the show. Although it could be even worse, as in Hibike for example. When all the talk about the depth and intelligence of the show was actually a cover for pairings and shipping. And when the show began to sink ships, many who had previously actively praised the show for its depth simply began cynically calling it bad.
@RobertBobert I agree. But when you have four very interesting characters in a story whose main plot is not romance, it is wasting them if you introduce a romance through two of them. The future will say what will happen in the future, but if this leads in the next chapters to a romance and they leave the main plot aside, for me it will be a mistake and this comments section will simply become people commenting on ships. greetings
May 5, 10:39 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Desaturate
what? I was silently shipping them and it actually delivered wtf. I didn't saw that one coming. It was cute tho
@Desaturate This is an all-female show. Moreover, an all-female moe show from Doga Kobo. I don't know where this will lead in the end, but you could always predict that it might get yuri content at some point.

@Hormigo This is also an old problem with all-female anime. As well as all-male, however. On the one hand you have a lot of people who watch it just for the ships, and on the other hand, most authors have a rather specific attitude towards same-sex romance, so you always expect that the theme of friendship will suddenly be sexualized in the form of a semi-platonic, semi-romantic relationship, where the characters seem to be involved, but are still in some kind of limbo. It's no surprise that Ikuhara has an entire show dedicated solely to criticizing this. Therefore, quite a few writers deliberately try to avoid romance in any form at all, although the audience will still ignore it, expecting that if there is no overt romance in the show, then it is simply "implied" (hello, shipping in LWA).

But one way or another, even if they don't go into romance, I still see how people will continue to focus on and argue about the ships, gradually pushing the old anime ideas into the background. In general, something like a female Yuri on Ice! awaits us.
May 5, 11:08 AM

Apr 2010
One thing is certain, it got people talking, it's breaking out.. the twitter account is getting new followers super fast now.

I'm seeing more and more fan art.

The Mahiru dance is being memed a lot (seems to be based on dance from a song mv I never saw in my life lol), trending even more than the kiss.

It's never easy for a original anime to start trending, the train one is getting some talk but not really breaking out yet for example.
May 5, 11:32 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to TiagoCosta
One thing is certain, it got people talking, it's breaking out.. the twitter account is getting new followers super fast now.

I'm seeing more and more fan art.

The Mahiru dance is being memed a lot (seems to be based on dance from a song mv I never saw in my life lol), trending even more than the kiss.

It's never easy for a original anime to start trending, the train one is getting some talk but not really breaking out yet for example.
@TiagoCosta It’s not so much about the dance or the kiss, but the fact that, as the official account itself noted, the number of discussions was finally enough for the show to become trended on twitter and people really starting noticed it https://twitter.com/yorukura_anime/status/1786923770189332701 . Although, of course, discussing the kiss scene clearly helped this. Perhaps it would have been even faster if not for the poorly chosen streaming service. And of course, collaborations with thematic authors like Fly did their job. The Train also has some meme or shipping potential, but it's quite surreal and too creative to attract enough otakus or normies. Not to mention the zoomers from Western Twitter.
RobertBobertMay 5, 11:38 AM
May 5, 11:36 AM

Mar 2010
This anime makes me feel BIpolor asf, one minute its teary asf the next it fun and enjoyable lol.
Damn is this a lezbo anime? O_____o hawt

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 5, 11:40 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to RobertBobert
@PaninaManina One kissed the other on the cheek without warning, lol. I understand that there is no point in talking about this, but it seems that the entire thread has already managed to convince itself that we had something like a passionate French kiss no less.
@RobertBobert Oh, but it wasn't "without warning"!.
May 5, 11:47 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to PaninaManina
@RobertBobert Oh, but it wasn't "without warning"!.
@PaninaManina Yes, that’s why Yoru was shocked and when Kano ran away, she looked after her in embarrassment. Again, you can interpret this however you want, but at this point it becomes self-persuasion.

@Rasco At the moment, the show doesn't officially deal with romance at all, while the writer has refused to in any way deny or confirm whether it's yuri or not. But hey, it's only episode 5. If interested, see how things will be processed further.
May 5, 11:57 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to RobertBobert
@TiagoCosta It’s not so much about the dance or the kiss, but the fact that, as the official account itself noted, the number of discussions was finally enough for the show to become trended on twitter and people really starting noticed it https://twitter.com/yorukura_anime/status/1786923770189332701 . Although, of course, discussing the kiss scene clearly helped this. Perhaps it would have been even faster if not for the poorly chosen streaming service. And of course, collaborations with thematic authors like Fly did their job. The Train also has some meme or shipping potential, but it's quite surreal and too creative to attract enough otakus or normies. Not to mention the zoomers from Western Twitter.
@RobertBobert west was always into it, lots of discussions on my tl. Always top 10 at anime trending, kept rising the MAL most popular list. Hidive only got 2 new shows this season, but only really advertises this one all over their social media channels, noticed ADN pushing it hard as well. Clearly great choices, platforms without a dozen mainstream sequels to push and it’s working wonders.

Train is on CR but they have way too much so it ends up being forgotten… tends to happen a lot with CR gems vs Hidive gems, the later tend to do better and it’s not a coincidence.
May 5, 12:08 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to TiagoCosta
@RobertBobert west was always into it, lots of discussions on my tl. Always top 10 at anime trending, kept rising the MAL most popular list. Hidive only got 2 new shows this season, but only really advertises this one all over their social media channels, noticed ADN pushing it hard as well. Clearly great choices, platforms without a dozen mainstream sequels to push and it’s working wonders.

Train is on CR but they have way too much so it ends up being forgotten… tends to happen a lot with CR gems vs Hidive gems, the later tend to do better and it’s not a coincidence.
@TiagoCosta I'm afraid this show is so high on MAL almost entirely because of the constant active debate about ships in episode discussions. Although I can easily understand why this became a trend on Western social networks. They are not the first, they are not the last. The director clearly knew what he was doing when the kiss scene was inserted as a cliffhanger out of nowhere at the end of the episode.

If Western anime social networks are simply greedy for any high-quality all-female show (or not even necessarily high quality, just twitter and something gay is enough, lmao), then the MAL anime league often easily raises into trends anything that sufficiently motivates people to argue and discuss. Especially with a lot of the Twitter kids with their love for meme-like short comments.

I wouldn't call Train an objective gem at THIS point. But I think it does have potential. And even more than Jellyfish, since this is an original surreal show that doesn’t know how it will end.
RobertBobertMay 5, 12:13 PM
May 5, 12:26 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
And as expected, most people completely forgot what the show was about in the first place, starting to argue about ships and making it personal. Some things never change.

@ShinoAlter You are setting your expectations too high right now, don’t do that. Allowing things to unfold will save you both pointless arguments and potential disappointment if your snap judgments don't pan out. In fact, all we have at the moment is a kiss on the cheek without any specifics or clear context, the rest is interpretation and speculation on the level of “I felt gay vibes, so there is a gay subtext and they are gay.”

And yes, even if we forget that yuri in modern Japanese slang means a million things up to and including an objectively platonic relationship, the author still hasn’t changed his words about whether this show is yuri or not depends on the viewer. That doesn't mean he won't change them or that the show won't be gay even without it, just let things play out on their own instead of trying to argue about the content before episode six even airs.

It’s because yuri is too broad of a term to say if something is or isn’t yuri.

Futari Escape is the best example, as it is technically advertised as yuri, but I have seen far gayer series without the tags or them being in yuri magazines.
mlem

Also read Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru (Bless Botan)
May 5, 12:32 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to ShinoAlter
RobertBobert said:
And as expected, most people completely forgot what the show was about in the first place, starting to argue about ships and making it personal. Some things never change.

@ShinoAlter You are setting your expectations too high right now, don’t do that. Allowing things to unfold will save you both pointless arguments and potential disappointment if your snap judgments don't pan out. In fact, all we have at the moment is a kiss on the cheek without any specifics or clear context, the rest is interpretation and speculation on the level of “I felt gay vibes, so there is a gay subtext and they are gay.”

And yes, even if we forget that yuri in modern Japanese slang means a million things up to and including an objectively platonic relationship, the author still hasn’t changed his words about whether this show is yuri or not depends on the viewer. That doesn't mean he won't change them or that the show won't be gay even without it, just let things play out on their own instead of trying to argue about the content before episode six even airs.

It’s because yuri is too broad of a term to say if something is or isn’t yuri.

Futari Escape is the best example, as it is technically advertised as yuri, but I have seen far gayer series without the tags or them being in yuri magazines.
@ShinoAlter Magazines like Yuri Hime don't publish platonic yuri, or at least platonic yuri without strong shipping support from the authors. The scandal over Yuru Yuri winning the reader polls was too much of a negative experience for them.

Yes, but it just wouldn't make sense if Jellyfish was a solid female romance show. Because you'll obviously never have a problem calling a yuri work that doesn't try to be ambiguous, implied, or just be about "strong emotional connections between girls" in the words of the show's writer. I mean, you could say that Bloom into you or Strawberry Panic isn't yuri because "yuri is a vague term"?
May 5, 12:32 PM

Feb 2019
GGcc78 said:
RobertBobert said:
@GGcc78 Yes, but simply theorizing without a strong base will simply waste time endlessly on unanswerable questions like “how many angels will pass through the eye of a needle.” Even the meaningless set of prejudices about an aquarium and passing off a kiss on the cheek as a full-fledged kiss above makes more sense than this.

I mean, the writer in question has hundreds of pages worth of content written and there are some very clear parallels to what he's writen in the past to what's on display here. I don't think that's a waste of time, but perhaps I misunderstood your tone of your post. I thought you were up for debate and discussion, but if you feel it's a waste of time I'll leave you be. Have a good evening

The tone of his post is simply to not let yuri fans be happy and grasp at straws with „well maybe there is a lot of things showing that it’s going the yuri route, but nO tHiNg iS 100% sUrE”
mlem

May 5, 12:35 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter Magazines like Yuri Hime don't publish platonic yuri, or at least platonic yuri without strong shipping support from the authors. The scandal over Yuru Yuri winning the reader polls was too much of a negative experience for them.

Yes, but it just wouldn't make sense if Jellyfish was a solid female romance show. Because you'll obviously never have a problem calling a yuri work that doesn't try to be ambiguous, implied, or just be about "strong emotional connections between girls" in the words of the show's writer. I mean, you could say that Bloom into you or Strawberry Panic isn't yuri because "yuri is a vague term"?

LMAO YOU KNOW NOTHING

Futari Escape is literally an Yuri Hime manga, and as I said, Futari Escape is literally on Lycoris Recoil level of yuri, or even lower because one has already ended in subtext, the other is still ongoing as a franchise.

When it comes to the last thing, the line is blurry, but when two girls become an actual couple, you can’t just say „umm, this isn’t gay fiction”.
mlem

May 5, 12:40 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to ShinoAlter
RobertBobert said:

LMAO YOU KNOW NOTHING

Futari Escape is literally an Yuri Hime manga, and as I said, Futari Escape is literally on Lycoris Recoil level of yuri, or even lower because one has already ended in subtext, the other is still ongoing as a franchise.

When it comes to the last thing, the line is blurry, but when two girls become an actual couple, you can’t just say „umm, this isn’t gay fiction”.
@ShinoAlter All sources, including Western ones, call this manga romance and yuri https://sevenseasentertainment.com/series/futari-escape/. While platonic yuri works generally do not receive any tags, both due to the focus on "interpretation" and to avoid controversy surrounding readers or limiting the audience due to a misleading tag. Such manga usually do not receive a tag, but are often sold in a themed section to attract the target audience.

YOU MAY NOT KNOW NOTHING, but homoerotic subtext as such and objective implied, but not openly shown attraction are completely different things. I understand that shippers ignore such “unimportant” nuances, but this is a very significant moment.
May 5, 12:46 PM

Feb 2019
Hormigo said:

The only thing this devolved into a yuri discussion, is because one person decided to make it his mission to tell everyone that this isn’t yuri yet, because you can’t be 100% sure.

WE ARE WORKING ON WHAT WE ARE GIVEN RIGHT NOW, and at this point every single sign points at the kiss being far more than just a random ass scene that we will quickly forget about or will not have much of an impact on the anime.
mlem

May 5, 12:54 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter All sources, including Western ones, call this manga romance and yuri https://sevenseasentertainment.com/series/futari-escape/. While platonic yuri works generally do not receive any tags, both due to the focus on "interpretation" and to avoid controversy surrounding readers or limiting the audience due to a misleading tag. Such manga usually do not receive a tag, but are often sold in a themed section to attract the target audience.

YOU MAY NOT KNOW NOTHING, but homoerotic subtext as such and objective implied, but not openly shown attraction are completely different things. I understand that shippers ignore such “unimportant” nuances, but this is a very significant moment.

You like to ignore my points or something?

I do realize it has tags, and that’s the problem. IT’S LITERALLY LYCORIS RECOIL TYPE OF RELATIONSHIP. That is why yuri is such a broad term, and it’s not a yes/no type of situation. Right now it went further than Lycoris with the hinting and will potentially venture on a completely new territory.

Futari Escape that has yuri tags is less gayer than what happened in this episode of YoruKura.
mlem

May 5, 12:54 PM

Apr 2012
So, are you attacking me when I simply ask not to get too carried away with speculation until the next episode makes something concrete, but at the same time demand that other people accept your opinion as a dogma? Do you really not feel the double standards here? This is a rhetorical question.
May 5, 12:57 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
So, are you attacking me when I simply ask not to get too carried away with speculation until the next episode makes something concrete, but at the same time demand that other people accept your opinion as a dogma? Do you really not feel the double standards here? This is a rhetorical question.

>attacking

Well someone surely is delicate, if a bit of facts about the genre hurts you so much.
mlem

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.