Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 19, 2008 3:30 PM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another great episode!
It was a real shame that it was censored. I guess we'll have to look forward to the Shigofumi DVD's, just like School Days.
And Fumika is just way too awsome.

Jan 21, 2008 5:02 PM

Nov 2007
I liked it*
The lacking of a hot yandere pushed it down a point, but it was a great episode none the least.

Yeah, Fumika is awesome.
Jan 24, 2008 10:10 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Fumika is awesome indeed. I'm looking forward to more background info about her.

I liked the episode, even if it was edited. I didn't feel bored or anything and I can't wait for more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 24, 2008 11:34 AM

Sep 2007
Awesome episode, but there is one thing I dont get, which part was edited?
Maybe I missed it, but I noticed nothing...

Jan 24, 2008 11:37 AM

Mar 2007
Trineas said:
Awesome episode, but there is one thing I dont get, which part was edited?
Maybe I missed it, but I noticed nothing...

etc.
Jan 24, 2008 12:32 PM

Sep 2007
Nice episode. I hope we get some more Background Info on Fumika soon. 'cause shes going straight forward to becoming one of my fav. characters.
Jan 24, 2008 2:16 PM

Aug 2007
Great ep. SMH @ the SWAT team taking 2 hours to get ready. I wonder how Fumika got that job after she died. Reminds me of a Zombie Loan sort of thing.
Jan 24, 2008 2:40 PM

Nov 2007
Reminds me of Jigoku Shoujo...

Overall a very good episode.
kasumisamaJan 24, 2008 3:20 PM
Jan 24, 2008 3:11 PM

Jan 2008
I was kinda suprised by the censoreship. I mean i knew it was gonna be edited somewhere, but i thought they'd censore the suicide...why editing a weapon?

But well, it was still a very good episode. Gets better and better.
Though i doubt its as simple as Fumika being the girl who shot her father. Especially because there is a stamp on her gun...like somene sent it to her or so.

Well, because of this http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-01-17/shigofumi-no.3-altered-after-recent-events-in-japan think the father had a shotgun. But well, gonna get the DVD anyway.
Jan 24, 2008 3:20 PM

Dec 2007
The anime so far is fascinating. You look at the central character and think "Magical Girl," but it surprises you when you watch it. I thought this episode had some really insightful moments to it.
Jan 24, 2008 5:14 PM

Nov 2007
I think the part that was edited was the actual sucide. This was a good episode. The next one seems like we'll get some yuri ^-^. Intersting.

Also what was edited in school days?
HellmonkeyJan 24, 2008 5:21 PM
Jan 24, 2008 5:32 PM

Oct 2007
Everyone be calm, otherwise i have to shot you with my non existent gun.

Jan 24, 2008 8:15 PM

Nov 2007
I'm got a lot of Suicide Club vibes from this episode.
Jan 24, 2008 10:30 PM

Sep 2007
I agree with the previous post, the episode is very similar to the Suicide Club ..
I dont understand why the episode was censored and where .. was it the gun? the jump? was it too graphic or was it to prevent 'meaningless' suicides everywhere??
Nevertheless, even with some part(s) being edited, it was quite a captivating episodes :) So Fumika is a coma girl?

Jan 25, 2008 3:36 AM

Nov 2007
The censored part pretty much pointless. Ok ok episode i guess.
Jan 25, 2008 5:52 AM

Aug 2007
Another great episode, the show is starting to get even better. I can't wait for the next episode. I hope we get some background information.
Jan 25, 2008 6:49 AM

Aug 2007
... I wonder if the censored parts really had to be censored. Perhaps he threatened the children with the gun, while he didn't in the censor or something? Oh well, it was interesting, especially about Fumika! I wonder what her story is...
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jan 25, 2008 7:36 AM

Apr 2007
This ep had a kinda sad mood for some reason..."What would happen if you jump".

Did anyone notice the first letter with the bloody baby hand? that was harsh ^^ so u can even get an shigofumi by abortion.

Maby the dad had the head of his son in his hand just like school days lol :P nah...but why would they hide a weapon when u could see other weapons to =S

Jan 25, 2008 2:17 PM

Nov 2007
Wow, Shigofumi is easily the best show of the season for me. Even with the editing I enjoyed this episode a lot. And yeah, Fumika's awesome. I doubt that she's actually the girl who shot her father, though it would be interesting if she was.
Jan 25, 2008 2:19 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I'd actually love it if she was walking around with her own Shigofumi (the gun) to her father which she shot him with and sparked all of this.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 25, 2008 5:09 PM

Jan 2008
Wasn't part of the reason that this particular episode was edited so was because there had been a shooting in a school in Japan recently, or am I mistaken? If so, then the edited makes sense.

Great episode, but I hope that isn't the only aspect of Fumika's backstory it doesn't seem that interesting to me. My only problem with the anime so far is the unoriginal character designs of the story specific characters, they are pretty plain.
Jan 25, 2008 5:41 PM

Jul 2007
Ah, did anyone see in the later in the beginning, Kotake was playing the Nintendo Wii haha, that was awesome I would love to see more of that in anime shows, ^^ I'd really enjoyed this episode it was so intense almosts like Jigoku Shoujo looking forward for more.
Jan 26, 2008 9:19 AM

Mar 2007
Great episode, but it was so dumb to censor the gun :X
Jan 26, 2008 6:18 PM
Nov 2007
its kinda like 4kids censoring ! yaaaaaaaaaaaaay XD
Jan 26, 2008 9:36 PM

Jun 2007
wow that was intense. The beginning was so sick (in a bad way) when the baby sends its hand print to the guy that knocked up a hooker. So crazy! I cant wait to see how far they can actually go with this show now.
Jan 27, 2008 12:30 AM

Apr 2007
I enjoyed the overall concept of the episode (Such as not really wanting to die, but really wanting to know that big "what if?" in doing so). The aborted baby sending it's father a shigofumi was pure genius if you ask me, in a morbid sort of way though being quite creative at the same time. And the touches of back story with Fumika at the end was nice. Overall I didn't enjoy it as much as episode 2, but still very well done regardless. "Curiosity killed the cat" for sure.
Jan 27, 2008 6:28 AM

Dec 2007
censored... no!!
Jan 28, 2008 5:22 AM

Aug 2007
It's been awhile since I last posted. But this show has brought me back. I am loving the darkness of humanity that this show expresses, while still leaving hope for existance.

As for the censorship, politics. That's what it comes down to. I never argue with politics because when everything is said and done, your vote really doesn't matter.

Signature Provided By: AK_Legend
Jan 28, 2008 7:49 PM
Jan 2008
ah yes. watched this episode tonight. too bad they 'nice boat'-ed it. but, at least the censorship wasn't as blatant as 'Kodomo no Jikan's was. just hafta' wait for the DVD then.
Jan 29, 2008 7:59 AM

Dec 2007
The censorship is not something most of us can really judge but to me I can pretty much understand it for a couple reasons. Where I live the number of crimes committed with firearms is ridiculously high so when someone dies from getting shot it's not that surprising. Japan on the other hand has an extremely low crime rate and most of the ones committed with a gun are done by gangs. So when something happens like a non-gang related school shooting or whatever other gun crimes provoked the censorship it actually is a huge deal as opposed to other countries. Even if the crimes were committed with shotguns, the only real gun that still is allowed but only obtained through a terribly long and complicated license process, it's sort of a message saying the system has failed. In turn, the networks/producers censoring episodes in order to not offend viewers or insult the Japanese system of government is completely understandable. Complete respect for your fellow citizen and handgun/rifle bans are foreign concepts for a lot of countries which is why this was sort of strange I guess for a lot of people.

Enough blabbing though, it has been awhile since I've really loved a series as much as this one, can't wait for the next episode.

justnlife23 said:
I never argue with politics because when everything is said and done, your vote really doesn't matter.

You do realize the censorship has nothing to do with American politics and its Choice A, Choice B or wasted vote system? I do agree with you but it's completely unrelated to the topic.
playconnJan 29, 2008 8:35 AM
Jan 29, 2008 9:42 AM

Aug 2007
playconn said:
justnlife23 said:
I never argue with politics because when everything is said and done, your vote really doesn't matter.

You do realize the censorship has nothing to do with American politics and its Choice A, Choice B or wasted vote system? I do agree with you but it's completely unrelated to the topic.

Yes, I do realize that. I wasn't speaking of American politics, I was merely speaking of whatever system makes the decisions. In other words, politics. And yes, it was a semi-unrelated topic. Thanks for elaborating.

Signature Provided By: AK_Legend
Jan 29, 2008 5:56 PM

Jul 2007
<3 awesome episode.

I really liked their conversation on the roof. Though I do wonder why the dad wanted there to be a specific reason as to why Sen killed himself. He just seemed to need to blame it on something. Either way, I loved this episode, and the next one seems quite interesting too.
Jan 29, 2008 8:11 PM

Jul 2007
contrary to the trailer and opening theme, this is one good anime.
Feb 3, 2008 4:47 PM

Jan 2007
i had forgotten that this episode was censored so i was wondering why they weren't showing the weapon. Anyways, this was another great episode. The story telling was well done. Definitely got me interested in it.
Feb 4, 2008 2:39 AM
Oct 2007
Yeah, the OP sucks. The staff has an annoying voice, and it bothers me that Fumika makes a lot of noise whenever she delivers something. You'd think everyone would know about it and her by now wouldn't you?

Though still this episode and series is awesome so far.
Feb 5, 2008 7:45 AM

Nov 2007
Freakin' censoring...they pulled off wut was like a minute "School Days" imitation..
Feb 7, 2008 10:38 PM

Apr 2007
cyruz said:
I'd actually love it if she was walking around with her own Shigofumi (the gun) to her father which she shot him with and sparked all of this.

holy cow that would be awesome, would make sense.

Boo for censorship, but yay for awesomeness~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2008 3:31 AM

Feb 2007
Great episode. A good insight into suicides. The people on the TV were coming up with various reasons (some complex), but in the end the reason was very simple.

The great ED makes up for the average OP.
Feb 10, 2008 10:46 AM

Apr 2007
The feeling I get from Shigofumi is the same I have with some American Crime TV Shows: at first you're introduced to some people and some of them are quite nice, and then sometimes you feel sad they died. This was a pretty depressing episode. I wonder if Fumika is actually that girl? Funny that the guy thought it was her just because of the... gun? I mean, lol, what?
Feb 10, 2008 9:04 PM

Jun 2007
Great episode. The best part (and most horrifying) was with the bloody handprint. If that's not a warning against abortion, I don't know what is.
Feb 17, 2008 12:31 PM

Nov 2007
Am I the only one who felt this episode was very similar to the first episode of Serial Experiments Lain

The kind of abstracted way that everyone talks about the suicide, some of the cinematography, the whole 'killing myself to see what happens' feel?
Feb 17, 2008 6:15 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Ria said:
Great episode. The best part (and most horrifying) was with the bloody handprint. If that's not a warning against abortion, I don't know what is.
I didn't like that part at all. More than it being interesting, it just seemed to me like it was preaching. Bleh.

Good episode otherwise. I agree with cyruz, I want her to be the girl. I'm pretty sure she is ^^ Does this mean Kaname is going to be appearing in other episodes too?
Feb 17, 2008 7:57 PM

Dec 2007
The abortion thing is another cultural difference and I don't blame them for being preachy about it. Between the abortion and the gun ban topics, I applaud this show for bringing out cultural differences unintentionally. From all I've read on the topic, the Japanese government sees abortions as the first in line as a form of birth control. Mainly was because they were short in the work force by like 1 million people and wanted to close that gap by not allowing forms of contraception.

Birth control pills and even emergency contraception (ie. the 'morning after' pill which isn't a form of abortion) has just recently become more mainstream knowledge. I don't blame them for poking fun at the lack of education the government has on the topic. I'm not for or against abortions but I know there are far better alternatives to prevent the "need" for abortions to exist, its good times when you bring that to the attention of the public.
Feb 17, 2008 8:17 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I don't mind cultural differences -- you can't watch anime and not have them ^^. I was just saying that I didn't see it as the best part of the episode, by far.

The thing I don't understand, is how is it poking fun at the government? It was very serious and thrown in there for specific effect. I just see that as cruel, and well, if nothing else, unnecessary. In my mind, they were attempting to influence the thoughts of their viewers, and on a serious issue like this, I don't believe it's something to be played with in forms of mass media. I'm not debating for or against abortion here. I guess, to sum it up, I just hate it when people try to push their beliefs onto other people.

But thank you for giving me some background info on the subject :)
Feb 17, 2008 9:40 PM

Dec 2007
It may have been a bit cruel but that's the reality of abortions (minus the Shigofumi part). I don't want to start an abortion debate on what trimester "life" begins or the moral implications surrounding it since I honestly don't care either way. With so many options from contraceptives to adoption in the United States its not even something I think about anymore. Even though our government here has put laws in regarding the availability of birth control methods, they haven't out right said, "birth control is not allowed but abortions are perfectly fine."

What I meant by "poking fun" was that they put out a strong message to viewers in a society where the government has for decades said "we don't approve of birth control so when you get pregnant its abortion or kid time". You're right though, 'poking fun' was probably the wrong phrase to use. The scene could be considered more of a commentary on the government's slow evolution in some areas of societal needs.

I'm with you on hating people that try to force their ideals/beliefs on others but just putting something thought provoking in an anime is something I actually wish I saw more often. If a message popped up saying, "Abortions are bad, mmmk?" then I would have dropped the series, but they pulled it off pretty well I think with a blend between reality and the shows' letters from the dead plot.

By the way, this might be the first real discussion I've seen on a MAL episode thread so thanks Kineta.
playconnFeb 17, 2008 9:57 PM
Mar 31, 2008 3:10 PM

Sep 2007
This anime is better than I expected it to be..
Hellmonkey said:

Also what was edited in school days?
Apr 4, 2008 6:24 PM

Jul 2007
lol this ep made me go "WhaA?!?, thats why he died?"
May 25, 2008 4:05 AM

Mar 2007
Oh shi- He had a shotgun.

Sep 24, 2008 1:16 PM

Mar 2008
:O!! wht an amazing episode! i loved the notion of it! does there need to be a specific reason to commit suicide? cant it just be in the right mood and just to see what happens? oh the many times i myself have thought that!! amazing!!!!
wow a very deep and meaningful insight into what it means to be friends and get to know them and to honestly see what their personality is like. ah the errors of humans. " we are but mere humans" huh?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2008 7:17 AM

Sep 2008
I completely missed the editing, I thought that for some reason, all the shots of the dad were taken over some of the kids heads in silhouette.

The shotgun also explains why the sent in the swat team.
B25MitchSep 29, 2008 7:22 AM

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sobzob - Feb 9, 2008

100 by Assassin2112 »»
May 14, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sobzob - Mar 22, 2008

123 by greed2 »»
May 8, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

nodoka-koi - Jan 5, 2008

130 by EtherLux »»
Dec 18, 2023 12:02 PM

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dtshyk - Mar 15, 2008

60 by RawrOMG »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:24 AM

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sobzob - Mar 8, 2008

108 by RawrOMG »»
Dec 9, 2023 3:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.