Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 16, 2023 7:23 AM

Dec 2021
……Wow. That shit was incredible.

After a surprise attack from Haruta, Megumi resorts to his last option, forcing Haruta into an exorcism ritual against the formidable shikigami, Mahoraga. Sukuna intervenes to ensure his plans, leading to a fierce battle where Sukuna initially dominates but faces Mahoraga's adaptive abilities. Sukuna, armed with ten fingers, ultimately defeats Mahoraga, saving Megumi. The aftermath leaves Yuji to witness the destruction wrought by Sukuna's rampage, prompting him to act for redemption. Meanwhile, Nanami survives but is severely injured and delirious.

Sukuna being OP is precisely what makes him so fucking great. When he vowed to eliminate every human in Shibuya, he followed through on that threat. Additionally, the elaboration on the Malevolent Shrine was fantastic. Rather than forming a pocket dimension, Sukuna manifests his own territory in the physical world. Animators put their blood sweat and tears into this episode. Yuji and Nanami going through it right now.

Animators, you guys truly are special(z). Generational episode.

Edit: Had to rewatch it with my friends and trust me it hits 3x more on rewatch :p
IzanaSolosJan 22, 4:17 AM

Jun 2019
Another week... another incredible episode. Again, these are some of the most hyped chapters in Jujutsu Kaisen, and the staff and the people involved put their heart and soul into it. What an episode. Mahoraga's summoning was so well done. The build-up. The whole Sukuna vs Mahoraga fight was simply something out of this world. Another contender for episode of the year or should I already call it THE EPISODE OF THE YEAR? Yuji's breakdown was so sad and well done. T_T

Everything was amazing about this episode. The voice acting, direction, and music choices were great. I can't express my gratitude enough towards the staff. Thank you very much for this amazing adaptation. One of the greatest things I witnessed on Television. I'm speechless.

Glimpse of Nanami in the end. :(

May 2020
You know something terrible, horrible is about to go down when they decide to skip an opening. I mean at first sight, it might look like something along the lines of Megumi kicking the bucket, but it wasn’t that… somewhat, as he did lose consciousness, but it was because he summoned something which will quite literally become one of the most celebrated things in this series.

Mahoraga finally made an appearance in the adaptation, and must say the summoning was as hype as it could’ve been. Megumi was ready to lose it all, and as we saw in the last cliffhanger, it quite happened with him too, until “THE STRONGEST” Sukuna appeared, and not only decided to cover for him but straight up went against Mahoraga.

The fight was one of the highlights of this arc, and with every bit of honesty, the adaptation did justice to every every second of this fight… down to mini-seconds literally. I don’t quite remember it being this destructive and this long back in the manga, but the adaptation not only added extra scenes but made it look SUPREMELY overwhelming to every other thing we’ve seen so far in this series… take for example just the last episode.

Malevolent Shrine did the trick, and it draws the conclusion to the most epic thing this series has seen thus far. And then what followed was Itadori’s depression…. utter despair, to what he actually did to the Shibuya.

Goodness. Mappa knocked it out of the planet this time, by however means, but they literally did.

Thought this would end with Nanami, not in a way we did tho, but fine I mean they EXTENDED the Sukuna, Mahoraga fight A LOT, so it's all good.
Softhenic03Nov 16, 2023 9:31 AM
Nov 16, 2023 7:33 AM

Nov 2016
Malevolent Shrine is crazy. Bye Mahoraga-chan. Shigemo had it coming too.

Another epic episode.

Definitely didn't expect to hear you're my special like that.
FMmatronNov 16, 2023 2:28 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 16, 2023 7:47 AM

Jan 2009
You could tell shit's gonna go down when they skip the opening
So happy they addressed the problem I had last week regarding lack of civilians close to the fight
We finally get an idea of why the curse school was so afraid of Sukuna getting loose.
Up until this point, it was mostly because we were told about how dangerous he is. Now we finally understand.
The art direction is top-class, what more can you say
Only wish I got any clue what any of these powers do XD
Nov 16, 2023 7:49 AM
May 2021
THESE ANIMATORS DESERVE THE WORLD RN. MAPPA OWES THEM.

I didn’t think they could top last week but holy they did. Mahoraga vs Sukuna delivered.

The animation, music, fight… all of it was simply incredible. Especially with the current situation for the animators.

RESPECT JJK TEAM 🫡

LeoDragoNov 17, 2023 12:16 AM
Nov 16, 2023 8:26 AM
Jun 2020
Words cannot express what I feel at this moment
Nov 16, 2023 8:28 AM

Feb 2020
OMG this episode is amazing!!
I'm speechless...
Nov 16, 2023 8:36 AM
Sep 2015
At its core, this episode is about Sukuna saving Yuji's boyfriend.
Nov 16, 2023 8:38 AM

Jun 2015
Production issues is what it is. But whoever decided to put the OP song during Itadori's meltdown is a clown. Showing Nanami for the sake of having a cliffhanger every single episode just ruins the whole thing. By that point we already know he is going to not end well. Why cant it just end with Itadori?
NycroNov 16, 2023 8:43 AM
Nov 16, 2023 8:38 AM
Apr 2016
That was absolutely fucking insane.

Now let's see and pray for the next week... the animators are fed up after all.
Nov 16, 2023 8:41 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Nycro
Production issues is what it is. But whoever decided to put the OP song during Itadori's meltdown is a clown. Showing Nanami for the sake of having a cliffhanger every single episode just ruins the whole thing. By that point we already know he is going to not end well. Why cant it just end with Itadori?
@Nycro put the OP song during a worst moment isn't really a bad thing tho. Using a happy, motivational, or something that isn't related to a sad music to contrast with the violence of the scene is something that has been done before in countless movies.
DrkSeid69Nov 16, 2023 8:45 AM
Nov 16, 2023 8:42 AM

Jan 2009
its rough but still awesome

fuck mappa for not giving enough time to this talented animators

the anime made it more clear that cleave of sukuna is effective against cursed energy objects while dismantle is effective for none cursed energy objects
Nov 16, 2023 8:51 AM

Feb 2022
I was going to ask if it's the next episode where everything presumably turns to shit, but after seeing this...

Look how they (MAPPA) massacred my boy (Jujutsu Kaisen).
Nov 16, 2023 8:52 AM
Dec 2022
The fight was🔥🔥
Also Nanami pls rest love, you don't need to fight anymore
Nov 16, 2023 8:53 AM
Oct 2023
this episode was great and very hype, and i really am excited to see the next episodes but the graphics still kinda lack and its honestly really sad, if mappa had a better schedule and a better workplace it would have looked much better its a shame. nevertheless mahoraga vs sukuna was still a great fight and im glad they showed nanami at the end, and i feel really sorry for yuji.he has to be so traumatized. well excited for the next episode where we will see mahito.

Also nanami please leave shibuya, go to indonesia like you wanted
Nov 16, 2023 8:55 AM

Jul 2012
Damn, Sukuna's on another level. Itadori must be feeling a lot of guilt right now.
Nov 16, 2023 9:03 AM

Jun 2014
When they skip the OP in an action anime, you know some shit is about to get crazy.

There's THE BOY, MAHORAGA!!

The rumors that this episode would be even better than last weeks ended up holding true, what a fucking episode. They added A LOT, I mean A FUCKING LOT of anime original moments throughout the fight. I'll never complain about that, I love seeing all the things the staff decides to add in. Sukuna vs. Mahoraga lived up to the hype, what an animation masterclass. Just spectacular visuals that had me pausing, rewinding, and slowing down the playback speed multiple times 💀💀💀Sukuna is such a dope character and Mahoraga is a cool ass Shikigami. The Nanami cliffhanger....not the cliffhanger I expected the episode to end on, but man :(

Hearing the news over the past few weeks of the atrocious production schedule makes me eternally appreciative of the staff that still, despite being done dirty in that regard, manage to deliver absolute peak like this. They deserve so much fucking better.

Nycro said:
Showing Nanami for the sake of having a cliffhanger every single episode just ruins the whole thing.

Bruh how does this ruin anything, you just looking for anything to complain about? 💀💀

Edit after reading more comments in this thread: Even though I want this series to get the best adaptation possible, at this point I kind of want JJK after this season to follow the fate of Seven Deadly Sins after its 2nd season and end up in the hands of Studio Deen with the most atrocious animation imaginable, because holy shit, this fandom doesn't deserve this adaptation. Some of these complaints are legit the most nitpicky bullshit I've ever seen 💀💀💀 the OP playing during Yuji's breakdown actually makes perfect sense, particularly to the target audience, ya know, ACTUAL Japanese people. For us non-fluent foreigners, if you actually take 2 minutes to look up the English lyrics and read it from Sukuna's POV, it'll make more sense. Also, complaining about the Nanami cliffhanger is just....lol. He showed up for 15 seconds, stop acting like that ruined the whole fucking episode. That's just an unserious nitpick, let's be real, because I've yet to see anyone provide a legitimate reason for why that was such a problem. And even if this episode was unfinished and didn't meet the standard that the staff would have liked, you can't sit here and unironically say with a straight face that this was poorly animated. THIS was bad animation?!?!?! Because even unfinished, it looked better than a majority of other anime at the moment. I guarantee to the untrained eye, to the casual viewer, NO ONE will be like "oh well actually 🤓☝ the compositing during the sequence from the 14:27-14:33 mark was poorly done, and for a split second at the 16:42 mark you could see a slight dip in the animation quality if you pause at just the perfect nanosecond." I'm convinced that MAL people are just committed to searching for literally anything negative to say.
thebrentinator24Nov 17, 2023 12:16 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 16, 2023 9:03 AM
Dec 2020
I have no word to describe how incredible is.
Fight was so amazing, how should I comprehend this level of cinema.
It was beyond what I expected.
This fight was really good in manga but the anime takes it to another level.
Nov 16, 2023 9:08 AM

Dec 2020
This ep was really really great
I kinda wish I didn't read the manga so I can be more shocked more
The story board is AMAZING
The direction is good enough, but maybe it's just me who got slightly annoyed during itadori's depression scene. The voice actor did an OUTSTANDING JOB, but his performance got overshadowed by the OP song.
The animation has Jogo vs Sukuna level. Some drawings look sharp and solid as hidden inventory's art style, which I really really like. But some scenes looked rough, off model, and sketchy. If MAPPA wasn't being a greedy bitch, the anim could take to the another level. The animation in this ep was really great don't get me wrong
I kinda wish they will fix everything in the BD version without RUSHING THE GODDAMN ANIMATORS.
Thank you very very much for your hardwork JJK Team, fuck you Manabu
HEBI_TANNov 16, 2023 9:12 AM
We all have shit taste, especially in animes
No one's right, no one's wrong

Nov 16, 2023 9:11 AM

Jan 2009
the staff is making fun of blowing up MAPPA office in one scene eh https://twitter.com/Hone_honeHONE/status/1725181406509469721

here is that animator tweeting that https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=209319
Nov 16, 2023 9:14 AM

Oct 2017
The massacre finally ends but damn way too many deaths. They used simple artstyle again but well animated. Poor Itadori though.
Nov 16, 2023 9:15 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to deg
the staff is making fun of blowing up MAPPA office in one scene eh https://twitter.com/Hone_honeHONE/status/1725181406509469721

here is that animator tweeting that https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=209319
@deg LMAOOOO WELL DESERVED

Nov 16, 2023 9:19 AM

Aug 2013
Of epic proportions. Where did the plane come from?
LimiNov 16, 2023 9:42 AM
Nov 16, 2023 9:19 AM

Jul 2011
Let me quote the movie Team America after the apparent death toll in this episode: "Is 9/11 Times A Hundred."

Megumi used the technique "Play dead, and let the rabid animal get your enemy.". A very realistic strategy.

Thanks to Sukuna food review, now I know that there's a movie theatre or place that sell popcorn close to Shibuya 109 that doesn't sell tasty popcorn.

Begin to play "SPECIALZ" feel kinda insulting, if you imagine Sukuna singing while Yuji is there crying and screaming.

Anyways, great episode as always.
Nov 16, 2023 9:21 AM

Feb 2012
Yep, it was an incident in Shibuya alright... the best arc so far in the series.
The number of casualties, destruction, maimed characters, and character development is just astounding! The stakes have never been this high, and I love the high stakes in the plot; The episodes keep getting better and better, and with this, no doubt it far surpassed season 1 already... if anybody says this season is mid, y'all have bad taste for sure.
Nov 16, 2023 9:23 AM

Jun 2023
Reply to deg

@deg Lol. Everyone's already familiar with Japan's cutthroat work culture, in which the saying "the nail that sticks out is hammered down" also resides. So the fact that the staff are risking any and all future work by opening up about MAPPA's work environment and even mocking the studio should tell you how inhuman the conditions are. And all of this shows with the incoherent quality of this season ever since Shibuya and especially with this latest episode. I can only imagine how botched the next ones are going to be, which is a damn shame because I was looking forward to Mahito's fight more than anything else this season. The conclusion to that fight involving Yuji is the absolute peak of Jujutsu Kaisen.

Edit: Also laughing at those comparing this to EP16.
AntithesisNov 16, 2023 9:30 AM
Nov 16, 2023 9:25 AM
Jul 2020
My god this episode completely blew my mind, this episode can only be described as GODLIKE, only that word is enough. What ya'll think?

Dec 2020
CRAPPA SHIT THE BED

Apr 2023
If anything you've got to hand it to Mappa, this is the embodiment of perfection. I can not stress enough how hype this arc is in the manga and to see it come to life and in such a manner, well um giving everyone involved in this arc their flowers this ish goated.

Nov 16, 2023 9:29 AM
Nov 2022
Shit keeps getting wilder and wilder! Cant wait for episode 18:D
Nov 16, 2023 9:31 AM
Mar 2018
Reply to DrkSeid69
@Nycro put the OP song during a worst moment isn't really a bad thing tho. Using a happy, motivational, or something that isn't related to a sad music to contrast with the violence of the scene is something that has been done before in countless movies.
@DrkSeid69 That and I read somewhere that SpecialZ (the OP) was created for the curses, so its basically a villain song. Having it play over Yuji's despair and sorrow is like having the curses mocking and laughing at Yuji. Its a pretty ingenious choice imo.
Nov 16, 2023 9:33 AM
Aug 2022
This episode was crazy. Mahoraga’s summoning was so great the build up was crazy.

Saying goodbye to Sukuna again is sad. But he will obviously return in future seasons. He is my second favourite JJk character.

This episode had some really good animation and at points it had really weird animation.

Props to mappa employees for being able to bring out such good animation with everything going on right now in there company.

I’m worried for the last few episodes of jjk cause I feel like this episode showed a few signs that the workload is to much for mappa.

JUSTICE FOR MAPPA EMPLOYEES
Nov 16, 2023 9:35 AM
Jun 2023
when the opening played while showing the devastations in shibuya I was so fucking hyped dude. I swear they chose the best opening for this arc. This is even better than season 1 op ( for me at least )
Nov 16, 2023 9:37 AM

Feb 2021
Itadori's granpa! What he didn't get to tell him on his deathbed must've been something really important related to this arc.
It's the thing that Megumi tried to do 2 times but was always interrupted aaaaaaaa
Reading the explanation for Shigemo's technique on the wiki made me understand it much better. Something as simple as seeing all the same digits on a clock would count as one of these little miracles apparently.
14:18 Yamata no Orochi is a legendary eight-headed and eight-tailed Japanese dragon/serpent.
Just how many innoced civillians died this episode. Pure epicness but also tragedy.
I feel like Itadori's character just changed forever.
NANAMI ISN'T DEAD SOMEHOW LET'S GOOOO

But yeah, seeing all these tweets from the staff at Mappa... It's just so sad and heartbreaking
EmbientNov 16, 2023 9:43 AM
Nov 16, 2023 9:39 AM

Dec 2019
That was absolutely insane like wtf im speechless i have no words for how awesome that episode was
Nov 16, 2023 9:41 AM

Apr 2013
There's just no way people are calling this the episode of the year?

Respect to the staff that worked on this episode (a lot of veteran animators), but the production issues are blatant and the direction keeps being a let-down in Shibuya. Sure there are well animated sequences, but again the compositing and the art are way too inconsistent. Also as others have said, using the OP song during Itadori's breakdown was a slap in the face. I get that the staff is overworked, but some of these decisions are downright terrible and have nothing to do with the production schedule. And then a Nanami cliffhanger, really? I have no hope for what's left of this season and these are the moments I was looking forward to the most.

MAPPA has a hold of a massive audience with JJK and decides to treat it as if it was just some trash isekai that they could invest minimal resources into. A damn fucking shame.
Nov 16, 2023 9:42 AM
Jan 2023
Omg the animation is soooo clean 😩
Nov 16, 2023 9:44 AM
Jan 2018
It goes without saying that this episode was incredible. But what impressed me the most was Gege allowing the monster to actually go wild and kill a bunch of people. From Dragon ball onwards, shonen mangaka never let the MC's beast within really flex. The Oozaru never really got to play. Kurama got shut down before he could really put in work. And Seth from Radiant never really let whatever is inside him greet the people.

Yuji however actually got to see what shonen monsters are capable of. Instead of teasing, Yuji was complicit in the destruction. Not really, cuz keikaku doori, but we all know Yuji is never gonna forgive himself for what happened in Shibuya. We finally get to see how a an MC deals with story teasing being turned into reality. This storytelling is super impressive stuff, and you can see the Togashi inspiration more than ever in the plot right now.

As an anime only, I have no idea what's gonna happen next, but Megumi needs to heal up and get back in the fight. All this epic action and the real fight hasn't even begun yet. No way Yuji isn't gonna need some backup. Since this arc reminds me of the Kyoto arc from Rurouni Kenshin, I hope we get a Makoto Shishio moment. As in, the big bad has to live up to all the hype the same way Shishio did. This anime's big bad has huge shoes to fill imo.

Oct 2014
They keep upping the game in terms of the fight scenes

Jul 2008
Holy shit I'm speechless

Nov 16, 2023 9:50 AM

Nov 2018
What an episode it's insane to think that the animators have to work on these until the day before releasing them. They honestly deserve a break I'd be happy if the season ended on this episode.
Nov 16, 2023 9:55 AM
Dec 2017
This was Mob Kaisen and it was truly a feast for the eyes. Shoutout to every Key Animator involved in the production of this episode. I will not be saying thank you MAPPA anymore. I don't know how the rest of the season will turn out, but I know they gave us 2 back to back generational episodes in an already stacked season.
Nov 16, 2023 9:58 AM

Dec 2020
grab ur popcorn guys

Nov 16, 2023 9:58 AM
Aug 2022
jjk s1 and this is not the same anime.
Nov 16, 2023 10:03 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to KneelBeforeMe
There's just no way people are calling this the episode of the year?

Respect to the staff that worked on this episode (a lot of veteran animators), but the production issues are blatant and the direction keeps being a let-down in Shibuya. Sure there are well animated sequences, but again the compositing and the art are way too inconsistent. Also as others have said, using the OP song during Itadori's breakdown was a slap in the face. I get that the staff is overworked, but some of these decisions are downright terrible and have nothing to do with the production schedule. And then a Nanami cliffhanger, really? I have no hope for what's left of this season and these are the moments I was looking forward to the most.

MAPPA has a hold of a massive audience with JJK and decides to treat it as if it was just some trash isekai that they could invest minimal resources into. A damn fucking shame.
@KneelBeforeMe Half agree and disagree

Not the episode of the year, that op ruins the moment, but I am fine with Nanami cliffhanger. The storyboard is amazing, but inconsistent art.
I am not disappointed with this ep. This ep was great, but not the greatest of all time. I would still prefer the whole hidden inventory arc than shibuya arc

Nov 16, 2023 10:05 AM
Dec 2022
This episode caught me off guard even though I've read the manga already. The animation quality was too good for an episode, now I genuinely concerned about the animators. They need some rest to deliver more amazing sakuga. And the opening played at the end was perfect. This is the best episode yet (again!).
Nov 16, 2023 10:13 AM
Mar 2022
Keep boosting the animators' morale, everyone.
Mappa doesn't care anyway.
Nov 16, 2023 10:13 AM

Apr 2018
Perrin4869 said:
You could tell shit's gonna go down when they skip the opening
So happy they addressed the problem I had last week regarding lack of civilians close to the fight
We finally get an idea of why the curse school was so afraid of Sukuna getting loose.
Up until this point, it was mostly because we were told about how dangerous he is. Now we finally understand.
The art direction is top-class, what more can you say
Only wish I got any clue what any of these powers do XD

I didn't expect back-to-back high quality episodes. Even after the recent complaints on social media from the animators and more, it was unlikely we'd get this sort of episodes. But man, this was fucking amazing even though some frames were rough, it is overall a great episode. Maharoga showed his strength against Sukuna which was quite overwhelming, but Sukuna got the gist of it. But that ending.. Fucking shocking how cruel Sukuna is. well, actually it ain't that shocking. I'm so confused why people are calling this episode bad, it is by no means even close to whatever anyone is saying. People do not understand that detailed art is everything. People like Weiling Zhang, Miso, Daniel Kim, Vincent Chansard and the Hakuyu Go Team have worked on this episode. The latest two episodes have been my favorite out of the two seasons and the movie. Because it actually showcases fluid animation and non-stop action sequences and not some bullshit still frames without impact. This is it. Surely some people do not like it, but this is animation at it finest. Of course, some frames were less consistent as this episode was produced with a very tight schedule and overworked animators complaining and apologizing on twitter that they could have done better, but had to work till yesterday to finish their cuts. I'm at loss for words as one of the other threads for this type of animation. For animators to express themselves is everything when it comes to pure art/animation.

eh not sure how I quoted someone or it's a bug on phone.
SideCharacterKalNov 16, 2023 11:53 AM

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Nov 16, 2023 10:15 AM
Jun 2021
This is the Shibuya Incident. I loved it in the end when the op started playing and we could see all the damage Sukuna has done in Shibuya. The episode looked incredible but i am still scared how the future episodes will look because of the overworked animators and there many hard hitting moments in the upcoming episodes.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pre_Yum - Dec 28, 2023

568 by Lapio_ »»
Jul 25, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Jul 5, 2023

572 by cadostropia »»
Jul 23, 3:46 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pre_Yum - Nov 30, 2023

400 by Agathusian »»
Jul 20, 8:43 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Oct 12, 2023

286 by Alperensenpai61 »»
Jul 18, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pre_Yum - Dec 7, 2023

378 by theoniyoni »»
Jul 18, 2:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.