Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »
Apr 10, 2022 8:55 PM

Aug 2019
I don't think i could properly express the emotions i felt watching this movie, all i can say is what an absolute masterpiece of a mind fuck. This feel like Anno Hideaki thought "how many different ways can we fuck up humanity and make these 3 characters snap?" and fuck me he did it incredibly well.

To cut things down, what my small brain could comprehend from watching, which is likely to be wrong and obviously a subjective pov was:
This is a redo of ep 25-26 however Shinji, Asuka, Rei are pushed to the absolute edge, and the entirety of humanity is also put on now on the gambling board as everyone suffers. The NERV employees sacrificing themselves to hold SEELE invasion off, Misato going all out to give Shinji(humanity) the last hope they got. Gendou in the end lost, his plan backfiring and his executioner was ironically Shinji himself with SEELE getting what they want. Ritsuko's plan from what i believe was doomed to fail anyway.

Asukua (i think) pushed to her limit merged with Unit02 and filled(?) the space in her heart that was the supposed AT-Field, Shinji after similarly being pushed to his absolute limit did the same. Shinji is the key to the third impact happening or not, so his experience in life ultimately dictate his choice. We see all the negativity, his view of others, then his reaction when everyone merges and he sees the other side of them, again breaking him and causing the third impact. Rei was a bit complicated for me, i think she rejects Gendou and being a tool, doing what she wants which i think lined with SEELE's aims but ultimately her goal (or Yui's goal) was Shinji.

To sum up my interpretation of the ending, in this version, Shinji is at the absolute lowest point he was, thinking he had nothing and wanted to be nothing, finally to a degree after consultation from Rei(Yui?) and Kaworu decides to give life another shot and live regardless of the punches.
So how this reflects on humans is, it brought the AT-Fields that separates us back and turned a losing situation for everyone to a kinda winning one.

Animation for a show that came out in 1997 had some amazing, fluent action. Some of the best iconic scenes i've ever seen an anime produce, not just the "one or two rememberable to you" scenes. but the "show anyone this single freeze frame and 9/10 times they know where its from" scenes.

Voice acting was fucking wildly amazing. I do not think i've actually ever heard voice acting this well done ever.

All in all, this watch was a 10/10. Maybe i'm to confused on what i watched therefore giving a 10/10 on something i don't understand seemed appropriate, but what i can say is what ever i watched i fucking loved it and i genuinely thought it was a work of art. Off to youtube now to actually find out wtf i watched.
May 4, 2022 9:47 PM

Feb 2021
I'm gonna restrain myself from talking about the Shinji fap scene

Woah did Misato really have a french kiss with a 14 y/o kid? Also, why did they kill off mommy Misato :(

Poor Asuka really had it hard. She literally got her Eva speared to death. I never hated Shinji before but now I can't stand him. He was bitching when Asuka needed his help and then when he sees her Eva mutilated, he was so shocked and horrified. What the fuck was he expecting?

Damn, Rei really became a god-like being and changed everyone to their primordial form, LCL.

Loved this movie. Much, much better than ep 25 and 26. They were way too confusing.

I believe a lot of the first part of the movie was shown in the 2nd part of the Death and Rebirth movie. SEELE's siege over NERV was shown in it.

The ending was a bit confusing for me. I think I'll have to look up a YT video explaining it.

May 24, 2022 8:25 AM
Aug 2016
From what I understood, Third Impact did happen, humanity was destroyed, and the only survivors left were Shinji and Asuka. For Shinji, I can understand that he survived, but I don't understand how did Asuka survive. That's the only part that's confusing me, but other than that the main storyline is clear. Yes, there were different confusing Avant Garde elements, but I would say that they were kind of side (yet beautiful) stuff. Overall, it's been amazing ride. Now, time to watch the rebuild movies!

9.45/10 for EoE.
May 25, 2022 1:44 PM

Jan 2022
Koustubh said:
From what I understood, Third Impact did happen, humanity was destroyed, and the only survivors left were Shinji and Asuka. For Shinji, I can understand that he survived, but I don't understand how did Asuka survive. That's the only part that's confusing me, but other than that the main storyline is clear. Yes, there were different confusing Avant Garde elements, but I would say that they were kind of side (yet beautiful) stuff. Overall, it's been amazing ride. Now, time to watch the rebuild movies!

9.45/10 for EoE.
Easiest way I can explain it is that Asuka doesn’t actually “survive” the third impact. She gets turned to Fanta Goop just like everyone else. She just rejects instrumentality like Shinji and that’s why she ends up on the beach with him at the end.

What specifically that means kind of necessitates a super long winded answer so click below if you dare.

-insert NGE meme here-
May 25, 2022 4:32 PM
Aug 2016
NorthmostIsle said:
Koustubh said:

9.45/10 for EoE.
Easiest way I can explain it is that Asuka doesn’t actually “survive” the third impact. She gets turned to Fanta Goop just like everyone else. She just rejects instrumentality like Shinji and that’s why she ends up on the beach with him at the end.

What specifically that means kind of necessitates a super long winded answer so click below if you dare.

Bruh, I feel that my braincells got activated after hearing your answer. It actually makes more sense now. Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll bump up the rating to 9.5 now (rounded to 10). From what you described, it was amazing! I hope the alternate ending of the rebuild movies is also able to give such a satisfying conclusion :)
May 26, 2022 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
yahzee said:
Well...I am officially mind-fucked.

I totally agree with you.
Jun 1, 2022 2:43 AM

May 2020
well, that was something....?
i did not understand all of it but it was an amazing movie none the less

Jul 9, 2022 5:38 PM

May 2020
Evangelion is a visionary work of art. The catalyst that opened anime's third eye. Stunning imagery, deep mysteries, probing questions of life and the human condition. The anime Book of Revelation.

I think it's pretty good.
Jul 17, 2022 6:02 PM

May 2021
The culmination of the NGE series with even more concentrated gore, sexual innuendos, psychology and religious imagery. All combined just for the sake of it in a plot that is even more convoluted than the ending of the original series that reachs new levels of absurdity in anime, 2/10.
Aug 6, 2022 7:37 AM

Jul 2020
Well... at least, it was better than the original series. All the pseudo philosophical talk was entertaining at times, plus I always like psychedelic visuals and there were some good ones in this movie.
Also, I felt no emotional connection to any of the characters in the series but this movie did provoke some emotional response from me: I hardly ever say that I hate a certain show or character, but damn, Shinji is such a disgusting person. I feel like I despise him with all my heart after watching this movie lol.
Aug 9, 2022 6:06 PM
Aug 2022
boy masturbzates lol
Aug 10, 2022 2:48 PM

Jul 2022
i just finished watching. im flabbergasted, shaking a little
Aug 19, 2022 1:44 PM
Jan 2021
asdasdasasasdasd
Aug 30, 2022 10:54 AM
Mar 2018
good moovi and good sex
Sep 10, 2022 8:28 AM
Jan 2021
it's just a fucking masterpiece the ending that ends this masterpiece
the first ending is not bad but this one just nailed it
Sep 12, 2022 1:11 PM
Mar 2021
very nice, podperos
Sep 15, 2022 10:28 AM
Jan 2021
It is masterpiece.
Oct 13, 2022 1:37 PM
Oct 2022
Terrible, mejor peli, 10/10
Oct 22, 2022 3:01 PM
Oct 2022
IDK What Was That...
Oct 26, 2022 1:15 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Very interesting to say the least. But I still don't know what the flying f*ck is going on

This reminds of the Platinum End ending, but dialled up to eleven

Gonna leave it without a rating for now. I feel like it deserves a score beyond 10, but at the same time below a 1. It's truly a transcendent work of art

Anyway, probably gonna go look for one of those "explained" analysis videos; which will probably end up being five times longer than the actual movie

Will be watching the rebuild movies sometime soon. My expectations are sky high with the legendary standards that EoE has set.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 29, 2022 9:02 AM
Mar 2021
it did the best that an anime can do whilst tackling the fundamentally impossible nature of the human condition, it delved into very philosophical themes and had a relatively uplifting ending - all things considered regarding life.
Nov 16, 2022 1:12 PM

Aug 2022
I enjoyed this move a lot. This ending is a way better than the one in NGE.
Nov 16, 2022 3:44 PM
Jul 2022
Completely and utterly perfect in each and every scenario.
Dec 2, 2022 10:01 AM

Aug 2020
so i just finished evangelion
Dec 5, 2022 9:02 PM
Dec 2022
Better than the Box Combo from Raising Canes
Dec 10, 2022 11:04 AM

Aug 2021
Nishi_23 said:
Well... at first I was like "damn this is actually pretty good, might give this an 8 or a 9", then the usual pretentious edgy mindrape bullshit happened and it plummeted to a 7. Then the ending happened and it was a 6.

I do have to admit though, it's still better than the tv series. The blood and gore were really cool and the part where Asuka snapped was really great. (Although MPC-HC fucked up really badly and made almost the whole scene glitchy and killed it a bit, I'll move to mpv, thank you)

Whoever made this and the first NGE, please get medical attention. Thank you.

Bro, I actually like your comment because you basically summarized perfectly how I feel about this movie
Dec 21, 2022 5:32 PM
Dec 2022
When i watched it i watched it at 3:00 am and fucking ascended i was a mess
Dec 28, 2022 5:09 PM
Sep 2020
Cathartic. For Real.
Jan 1, 2023 10:24 PM

Jun 2022
I loved this film. I would have given a 7/10 to the series if this film didn't exist because the final episodes (25 and 26),despite I liked them, didn't feel like a real ending. I think it complements those episodes perfectly with great action scenes (the Asuka one gave me goosebumps) and philosophical and psychological topics. What I also like is that it leaves a lot of unanswered questions which give rise to some theories; I will dedicate these days to watch some YouTube videos and read this forum to know what others think about the ending and to see if it helps me understand some stuff I didn't get at all. I'm so glad I started watching this series, love everything about it. I will give a 9/10 or 10/10. Now let's see the rebuilds ^^

Jan 2, 2023 2:49 AM
Sep 2020
best anime movie ever
Jan 8, 2023 10:59 AM
Jun 2022
Eva fanboys always defending it because this insanity has a "darker meaning" even though all there is is random stuff and just random moments. A movie should atleast be understandable even if it has bad plot. Well the end of evangelion couldnt even do that..

The dark and depressing theme seems so forced that it makes me cringe. They have long dialouges of Shinji talking to the souls of asuka, rei and others which may make sense to some level but mostly its full of nothing.

Stop making lazy movies and covering them with the excuse that it has a "darker meaning".

They shouldve stopped making NGE in about the 20th ep.

3/10 bad movie
nopsikJan 8, 2023 9:06 PM
Jan 13, 2023 3:33 PM

Nov 2020
Alternate ending of the anime and I love it! Truly a masterpiece.
Jan 16, 2023 4:01 PM
Jan 2023
More incredible than anyone would ever be able to describe
Jan 30, 2023 3:52 PM

Jan 2021
2023 rewatch. Probably the best thing thing anime as a medium has to offer.
This movie have everything:
- constant action/story development
- amazing visuals (asuka vs mpe, instrumentality/third impact sequence)
- top tier soundtrack (expansion of blockade, thanatos, komm, susser tod + fitting usage of classical music)
- really good voice acting (especially asuka screams)
Its open ending is kinda controvertional, but i like it. You can wonder what happens next yourself.

Rebuilds ending may be easier to understand/feels more like finale to this almost 30 yo franchise, but quality/art wise this is a peak.
Feb 3, 2023 8:40 AM

Jul 2022
I don't understand at all.........
Feb 3, 2023 10:50 PM
Jan 2023
Greatest of all time. Zenith of the medium. Hallmark of media. Gold standard of storytelling. Apogee of creativity. Vertex of invention. Crest of ingenuity. Acme of imagination. Pinnacle of innovation.

Epic of epics. Legend among legends. Peak fiction. One above all, peak creation, lonely at the summit, goats above goats, grandiose masterpiece, impeccable perfection, too exquisite to exist, unbelievably marvelous creation, spectacularly bewildering and stupendous imagination, work of god.

Groundbreaking and foundational, his sense of development is a deconstruction of employment segregation and the powerful performances are truly comprehensive of their poignant themes while the nuance in the direction complements a layered screenplay. Pure elegant, exquisite, endeavour.

I can't put my finger on what's wrong because there isn't anything, masterful character-making from a masterful person. Top of the decade. Top of the century. Top of my life.
Feb 9, 2023 1:17 PM

Jan 2023
what the fuck.

I'm so confused damn.
Chipsy543Feb 9, 2023 1:20 PM
Feb 12, 2023 12:57 AM

Oct 2013
nopsik499 said:
Eva fanboys always defending it because this insanity has a "darker meaning" even though all there is is random stuff and just random moments. A movie should atleast be understandable even if it has bad plot. Well the end of evangelion couldnt even do that.

The funniest thing is when you see NGE fans writing essays on pretty much random elements (ignoring obvious connections leads me to think that somebody treats each element separately, and thus places it in random order inside the movie itself), building up their own theories over what might've been their meaning. I mean, I don't deny inspiration by Kabbalah in terms of symbols, same with using tropes known for Freudian psychoanalysis, or Biblical themes. But technically speaking, they have been included in such vague way that doing any "objective" interpretation of EoE in these aspects is pointless. One can do it for fun, it's fun to spot these elements and discuss them. The problem, however, starts when you encounter snobs blinded by overthinking done by others or by themselves; insecure enough to derail any form of fair counterarguments with buzzphrases like "you are too dumb to understand it", "educate yourself, return to primary school first", "you don't know this or that".

Another irony is that such expressive movie like EoE allows multiple interpretations, including "it doesn't mean much aside from imagery effect" (surprise - imagery effect might also be like that, even if it's a detailed one). Too bad "anime elites" can't understand how civilized debate on works of art works like. Welp.

I'm glad I saw this movie, even if its second half felt underwhelming to me. It was quite an original experience, even though I treated it just as a curio that I don't plan to return to for a re-watch. Action scenes, voice acting and music were great. Direction was also good in the first half. Second half was quite experimental, and that "live-action moment" felt out of place.

Personally, I preferred the ending from TV series. Sure, it felt bizarre, but also was consistent to the pivotal theme of the whole series, so technically it was not that bad. It's shocking to see people admiring NGE for involving psychology, but at the same time hating the original ending with passion. It can't be helped, I guess. We are all entitled to have our own opinion, after all. Mine is that the TV series' ending was better.
Feb 12, 2023 1:22 AM
Jun 2022
Adnash said:
nopsik499 said:
Eva fanboys always defending it because this insanity has a "darker meaning" even though all there is is random stuff and just random moments. A movie should atleast be understandable even if it has bad plot. Well the end of evangelion couldnt even do that.

The funniest thing is when you see NGE fans writing essays on pretty much random elements (ignoring obvious connections leads me to think that somebody treats each element separately, and thus places it in random order inside the movie itself), building up their own theories over what might've been their meaning. I mean, I don't deny inspiration by Kabbalah in terms of symbols, same with using tropes known for Freudian psychoanalysis, or Biblical themes. But technically speaking, they have been included in such vague way that doing any "objective" interpretation of EoE in these aspects is pointless. One can do it for fun, it's fun to spot these elements and discuss them. The problem, however, starts when you encounter snobs blinded by overthinking done by others or by themselves; insecure enough to derail any form of fair counterarguments with buzzphrases like "you are too dumb to understand it", "educate yourself, return to primary school first", "you don't know this or that".

Another irony is that such expressive movie like EoE allows multiple interpretations, including "it doesn't mean much aside from imagery effect" (surprise - imagery effect might also be like that, even if it's a detailed one). Too bad "anime elites" can't understand how civilized debate on works of art works like. Welp.

I'm glad I saw this movie, even if its second half felt underwhelming to me. It was quite an original experience, even though I treated it just as a curio that I don't plan to return to for a re-watch. Action scenes, voice acting and music were great. Direction was also good in the first half. Second half was quite experimental, and that "live-action moment" felt out of place.

Personally, I preferred the ending from TV series. Sure, it felt bizarre, but also was consistent to the pivotal theme of the whole series, so technically it was not that bad. It's shocking to see people admiring NGE for involving psychology, but at the same time hating the original ending with passion. It can't be helped, I guess. We are all entitled to have our own opinion, after all. Mine is that the TV series' ending was better.

I agree!! .......
Mar 4, 2023 12:48 PM
Mar 2017
So Katsuragis a pedo now 😑
And omg how much I despise Shinji
FairyNyxMar 4, 2023 12:55 PM
Mar 11, 2023 8:58 AM

Feb 2016
I was told I should watch this because the TV ending lacks catharsis, but the movie isn't any more cathartic.
その目だれの目?
Mar 13, 2023 2:33 PM

Nov 2020
It was actually better than I remembered.
Mar 23, 2023 9:19 AM
Aug 2017
"Humanity is bad" cliche isn't my cup of tea
Mar 23, 2023 9:38 AM

Dec 2021
Cyberminator said:
"Humanity is bad" cliche isn't my cup of tea
It also isn't even remotely the theme of the movie, or the series. Where did you get that from?
Mar 29, 2023 12:05 AM
May 2022
i honestly can't tell if it's just that good, or if i actually really hate it, if ya catch my drift.
Apr 7, 2023 6:35 PM
Jul 2022
Another wasted potential. Clearly this was a response to all the hate this guy was receiving. This ending suffers from the same problem as the first one: it doesn't end anything at all. It is a fast end to a complex anime just like the end of the anime. It's clear that the creator had many cool ideas, but didn't know how to well execute them. This end is just as bad as the first one.
Apr 9, 2023 12:57 AM
Jan 2022
Between this and the rebuilds, I'd always chose the EoE. Sure both endings are interesting, but one is so much more art-like than the other
Apr 9, 2023 3:28 PM
Jul 2021
ayamani supremacy
Apr 17, 2023 7:08 AM
Jul 2022
Pierre_Bezukhov said:
In order to understand the movie, watch episodes 25 & 26 of the series a few times. Due to the lack of funding, the staff had to be very direct in explaining the philosophy behiend the show and so the last two episodes were very good explanations (though it leaves out all of the symbolism). It took me 3 viewings of the series before I attempted the watch the movie for the second time. Of the story, the show explains only a little bit of it (specifically the reasoning behiend the human instumantallity project).

I understand the whole Eva story in one watch through, guess I must just be built different...
Apr 20, 2023 1:19 PM
Apr 2023
A huge emotional trip. Eva is the greatest depressiontrip anime has seen, and I will defend that with my life. It helps handeling my emotions each time I rewatch it and it continues to be a masterpiece.
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

21 by fizzydrinkk »»
Apr 24, 9:32 PM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What did Shinji Do?

PachtDD - Dec 17, 2022

20 by Power_Duck12 »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.