Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2023 11:27 PM
Sep 2016
Best anime of 2023
Jul 3, 2023 12:02 AM

May 2018
Kimurah said:
With mind numbing exposition

This thing here is not as heavy on exposition as let's say Jujutsu Kaisen and most of the focus of those info dumps was on the power system.

Kimurah said:
cardboard souless protagonists

Sure why not?
Maybe you are expecting too much of this genre. Usually what I dislike about battle shounen is it taking itself way way too seriously - over dramatizing and over characterizing its cast. This here puts some drama, but also jokes and focuses on the story and the mysteries. The flat characters come as an advantage to me. Also not sure why people considerJigokuraku part of some sort of "Dark Trio" - It is frequently very comedic.

Kimurah said:
overuse of flashbacks

Actually Jigokuraku made a good use of said flashbacks from narrative perspective and surprisingly enough those were properly timed. This is a rare occasion.
The cherry on the top - some of those flashbacks were fake.

To put it simply: in general I hate battle shounen, but for some reason this one here was fun to watch. It begun as a chaotic mess, but after some reveals started to make sense (in universe) and actually answered some of its mysteries. Also the pacing was decent.
Yes, it's nothing special and has some of the typical flaws of its format, but also has some interesting ideas, added some changes to the formula and most importantly it entertained me. I wouldn't mind more of this.
alshuJul 3, 2023 12:07 AM
Jul 3, 2023 12:13 AM

Jul 2015
@Kimurah there is a reason why the Demon Slayer Manga ending got trashed, while Hell's Paradise manga ending is always praised my guy
Sup...
Jul 3, 2023 12:27 AM
Dec 2022
It was decent, great visuals but didn't really have a good plot with the character backstories, motivations and the world building
Jul 3, 2023 12:55 AM
Oct 2019
What a beautiful and sad finale.

Rest in Peace Senta...
Respect!!

Also things that Yuzuriha said about Gabimaru, what a plot twist if it was true.
Things getting more interesting with this plot.

Sakuga was FIRE!! 🔥🔥🔥

Overall Very Good and Strong Season 1.
8/10 imo.

Looking forward to Season 2!!
Jul 3, 2023 1:34 AM
May 2022
I just Have 1 thing to say, will Gabimaru return to being Himself? Was All is just an Illusion? Can't wait for the Actual "Gabimaru the Hollow" if that's True then.
Jul 3, 2023 2:23 AM

Dec 2010
I'm was actually wondering why Gabimaru would be married off at such a young age as it didn't seem to make much sense for a male shinobi.

This is a good 7/10 - 8/10 for me, one reason I wouldn't score it higher is because there's very little plot progression in this sole season and (quite normally) it serves as a buildup to the story to follow. I definitely loved that the Tao concepts drawing from real life martial arts, and even some of the more mystical stuff such as Wuxing, that alone made me increase the score by an extra point.
Jul 3, 2023 2:47 AM
Feb 2023
ıt should be more good and more relative part
Jul 3, 2023 4:06 AM

Oct 2008
Everything is now compromised now that Gabimaru's memories are affected! that is very critical huh!...
waiting for the continuation!
5/5.
8/10.

Jul 3, 2023 5:36 AM
Jul 2023
c'est chaud gabimaru je lui fais des enfants
Jul 3, 2023 6:38 AM

Nov 2013
idk why I hate Yuzuriha.
but she hot, so i can't hate her.
Jul 3, 2023 6:58 AM
Apr 2023
El final abierto dejo un poco que desear pero lo demas estuvo muy bien un anime muy bueno y que se disfruta un monton
Jul 3, 2023 8:43 AM
Aug 2020
It’s a bit sad that Gabimaru’s wife doesn’t actually exist, but at least the Sagiri and Gabimaru ship is possible now 😁
Jul 3, 2023 9:01 AM

Dec 2016
alshu said:
Kimurah said:
With mind numbing exposition

This thing here is not as heavy on exposition as let's say Jujutsu Kaisen and most of the focus of those info dumps was on the power system.

This is like saying that white collar thieves are better than other kinds of thieves. Both are pretty bad under society's scope. This is such a shallow excuse, "some other battle shonen does it worse, so that makes it immediately better on muh show".

alshu said:
Kimurah said:
cardboard souless protagonists

Sure why not?
Maybe you are expecting too much of this genre. Usually what I dislike about battle shounen is it taking itself way way too seriously - over dramatizing and over characterizing its cast. This here puts some drama, but also jokes and focuses on the story and the mysteries. The flat characters come as an advantage to me. Also not sure why people considerJigokuraku part of some sort of "Dark Trio" - It is frequently very comedic.

Or maybe you just don't have standards and all the issues I mentioned doesn't mean anything to you. Comedic bits are quite jarring for people in general, most of FMA's complains are about how the comedic bits disrupt what it's supposed a serious tone scene.

alshu said:
Kimurah said:
overuse of flashbacks

Actually Jigokuraku made a good use of said flashbacks from narrative perspective and surprisingly enough those were properly timed. This is a rare occasion.
The cherry on the top - some of those flashbacks were fake.

Good use? How. You didn't say anything substancial to back up your defense. You just said "they gud"

The flasbacks in Jigokuraku are terrible because they disrupt the story flow. Secondly, because they feel like almost scheluded, "oh look new guy showed up, it's time for his sad sob story". The part that some of them were fake means absolutely nothing, just cheap bait and switch from the author to create awe on it's fanbase with low to no standards. Want to impress more critical audiences? How about crafting a script with more organic characters that had their core stories shown at the audience before the big fight moments, so that people can feel attached to them, otherwise they are cardboad disposable characters that only serve as decoration for the main protag (which isn't really that appealing either)

alshu said:

Yes, it's nothing special and has some of the typical flaws of its format, but also has some interesting ideas, added some changes to the formula and most importantly it entertained me. I wouldn't mind more of this.

Then again, if it's nothing special, why make such a bold statement of "this is how shonen should be writen".

SenpaiJay98 said:
@Kimurah there is a reason why the Demon Slayer Manga ending got trashed, while Hell's Paradise manga ending is always praised my guy

Praised by who and why should I care what "mobs" have to say? Also this is the anime section of the forum, not the manga section, which makes your point moot.
KimurahJul 3, 2023 9:05 AM
Jul 3, 2023 9:37 AM
Jun 2023
SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED PEAK, IN WHICH CASE PLEASE GO AND WATCH IT

Jul 3, 2023 9:40 AM

Jan 2017
Decent anime, 7/10 to this for censoring the nips.
Will have to read the manga to actually understand the power system of Hell's Paradise.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Jul 3, 2023 9:45 AM
Jul 2019
I enjoyed this anime very much. Plot is unique and intriguing. Characters are lovable and villains are creepy. There's still so much mystery and I'm looking forward to season 2!
Jul 3, 2023 9:50 AM

May 2018
Kimurah said:
This is such a shallow excuse

I should excise myself before you, when I like something you don't?
Really?
Duuude!

Kimurah said:
Or maybe you just don't have standards

OK, maybe I don't, so what?

Kimurah said:
most of FMA's complains

Why should I care about FMA's complains to begin with?

Those flashbacks were on places I kind of liked.

Kimurah said:
You didn't say anything substancial to back up your defense.

I don't need to defend myself, I just shared my stance.

Kimurah said:
You just said "they gud"

This is enough for my goal, I don't want to convince people to like and respect it.

Kimurah said:
"oh look new guy showed up, it's time for his sad sob story"

This is a good thing in my book. I hate characterisation which comes 200-300 chapters after the person appeared.

Kimurah said:
The part that some of them were fake means absolutely nothing

For me it was a neat idea.

Kimurah said:
Then again, if it's nothing special, why make such a bold statement of "this is how shonen should be writen".

Because battle shounen is nothing special by definition, but this one here entertained me, thus I want more titles like it, since the industry is set to flood us with this genre anyway.
Jul 3, 2023 10:16 AM

Jan 2019
Setting up Gabimaru to be an antagonist is such a cool idea but the show just had to end right after 😭

Jul 3, 2023 10:54 AM
Aug 2021
I thought this season is of 24 ep
man can't wait for next season
from mappa
Jul 3, 2023 11:24 AM
Jul 2022
Very good.
I hope season 2 is soon
Jul 3, 2023 2:12 PM

Jul 2015
@Kimurah because we're comparing both series, and both series are done, and the fact is most people(who read it) hated demon slayers ending, and most liked the Hell's Paradise manga ending
Sup...
Jul 3, 2023 2:29 PM

Feb 2018
Looks like after gaining further understanding of Tao, Shion and co were able to defeat the Tensen, but suffering a lot of injuries.
Unsurprising that using the power too much can have some side effects, but loss of memory for Gabimaru seems quite severe, as well as Sagiri possibly finding out his memories are just lies made to fool him.
With the last couple of episodes building up to this final fight I wasn't really too surprised, and ending it where they did does make you want to come back and watch.
For me I would say the most best part was probably around episode 5 or 6, when the focus was on Sagiri's past.
Jul 3, 2023 3:18 PM
Aug 2016
3 days long season 😭 need the second season to drop ASAP! Good finale all in all. Gabimarus wife surely is real.... right???? 
Jul 3, 2023 8:15 PM
Jul 2023
yes, ok, masterpiece
Jul 3, 2023 9:10 PM
Dec 2021
Well, well...

Nothing to say.
Jul 3, 2023 10:43 PM

Oct 2013
What a fantastic way to finish the first season! I was pretty hyped about Shion vs. Mu Dan fight, and all I can say is that it looked gorgeous. It was given justice both as an epic fight, and as the final fight of a season. Thank you, MAPPA!

Rest in peace, Senta. He was focused on the mission till the very end. Thanks to his "last stand advice", Shion was able to land the final blow in the right place, and destroy Mu Dan's Kishikai form's tanden.

Ouch, Gabimaru has become Hollow once again, due to excessive use of his tao. I hope Yuzuriha was wrong and Gabimaru's wife is not a mere illusion created only to make Gabimaru utterly loyal and obedient.

Wonderful anime. I really enjoyed watching it. I will definitely watch the next season.
Jul 3, 2023 10:47 PM

Feb 2019
This episode seemed to have everything that makes this show great. The action, but also the quiet moments and the emotion behind every story beat. I started off not caring about a lot of these characters, but I love all of them now. I'm really gonna miss watching this OP and ED every week, they're both just so good
"Do you believe in gravity?"
Jul 3, 2023 11:22 PM

Feb 2022
It's so damn good, I can't wait for the second batch of Yamada's & Iwagakure's for the next season.
Jul 3, 2023 11:57 PM

Apr 2015
 I have to admit Shion is such a cool character
Jul 4, 2023 1:46 AM
May 2022
It's really nice that almost everyone understands the concept of "Tao". But it wasn't surprising to see that using tao has side effects (Gabimaru's memory loss, Sagiri's nose bleeding, etc.).

After Sagiri and her crew killed the Tensen named "Mu Dan", Tensen had an interesting reaction... I don't understand why. We will most likely find the answer to this in season 2.

All in all, this anime was really a good anime to watch. The opening song, animation, "Although it was weird in some parts" voice acting, character designs were all very good. What I like most about this anime is that the perception of "Let as few characters die as possible" is removed... Deaths occur in an unexpected way and this increases your interest in anime.

See you in season 2...
Jul 4, 2023 1:54 AM
Jun 2023
Yobbae said:
where are u watching it?

Crunchyroll 👍🏼👍🏼
Jul 4, 2023 8:05 AM

May 2021
Making the viewers wonder if the motivations of the main character are even real, right at the end of the season, what a bold move. Makes me look forward to S2 even though I'm not very invested in the characters, except for Sagiri.

Jul 4, 2023 9:17 AM
Dec 2015
It's one of my favorite collection!
Jul 4, 2023 9:20 AM
Nov 2022
Menudo final, con el prota que vivia en una "ilusión", con muchas ganas de ver su segunda temporada
Jul 4, 2023 9:52 AM

Sep 2017
Show was pretty jank both in animation and writing but hey it would be kinda cool if the "I LOVE MY WIFE" thing was a jebait this whole time.
Jul 4, 2023 12:38 PM

Oct 2020
Shion has become my favorite character.

I don't find it very believable that Gabimaru is falling for an illusion.
Jul 4, 2023 4:48 PM
Mar 2019
Some chinks in the armour of the Tensen are appearing, with the stronger one's still to come.
Jul 4, 2023 7:06 PM

Jul 2012
Manga was decent from the start but kept getting better. Enjoyed adaptation much more than expected.
The opening is real banger, listening to it for a while, so good!
Overall 8/10 waiting for continuation.
Jul 5, 2023 12:00 AM
Jun 2023
This show has amazing potential to be one of the greats
Jul 5, 2023 7:56 AM
Aug 2021
amazing show. such aesthetic fights and good balance of everything. characters? also amazing. every single one of them.
Jul 5, 2023 10:35 AM

May 2019
Shion shined in this episode and a Tensen has finally been killed but at the cost of Senta's life. Sagiri has sworn that no one else will die, talk about putting a heavy burden on one's self.

Meanwhile Gabimuaru woke up and Mei can see that Gabimaru's mind is not fully there. I almost forgot about the 3rd group, I believe that the brothers are still alive too so maybe there will be a reunion. Side note, I liked the subtle humor that this episode had despite the deaths that have occurred, such as Yuzuriha licking Sagirir's hand with that not being necessary and thinking that Nurugai was a guy (I initially thought the same too).

Regarding this series as a whole it kept me engrossed throughout although it was a bit formulaic regarding introducing a new character, showing their backstory and then being a 50/50 chance they were going to die. Nonetheless, the animation was fine and so were the character designs. I also liked the art style of the creepy island and environments. Towards the end of this final episode, what a revelation that Gabimaru's wife may be an illusion, the implications of that make me want to watch season 2 even more.

9/10
Jul 5, 2023 11:34 AM
Aug 2021
gabi perdeu as memórias D:
Jul 5, 2023 2:10 PM
Sep 2020
Amazing!!!!!!!!
Jul 5, 2023 5:17 PM
Jun 2023
TAO TAO TAO TAO TAO
Jul 6, 2023 12:32 AM

Aug 2019
Honestly a pretty impactful episode to end the season on. Last ep i said i thought the twist was Sagiri, Yuzuriha and Senta miraculously taking down a Tensen but i was wrong. What they needed was Shion, and man did he deliever, really didn't think he'd be such a staple peice in the show but here we are.

Shion going all out was great, his fight was really impressive, well animated and kinda surprised they let him live after so much blood lose and slaying a proclaimed God under his belt.
Rip Senta his dying words literally saved the groups life and he at least went out being held by someone he admired.
Kinda liked how the Tensen in it's last moments commemorates Shion for having such strong yin-yang balance, and thanks him for killing him after thousands of years. Gave the Tensen a bit more character imo instead of feeling like big bad guy, cus honestly lets be real, true immortality has to suck.

The whole "Gabimaru's wife could be a delusion by the village elder to control him better" felt like getting hit by a truck. Idk why but i really didn't expect such a, wild curve ball like that, felt so random but logical for the chief to do. For the actual story and character development, i'm starting to question then how much of Gabimaru's character development actually meant something, if his wife isn't real, i feel like all the development as a character he was gaining on the island is gonna go to null.
I also found it weird how Sagiri kinda like, brushes a lot of that info off Yuzuriha said about Gabimaru's wife being an illusion when she talks to Shion. It felt like she forget it was a possibility, and kept going that Gabimaru does have a wife.

Also genuinely confused about what all of this + Gabimaru missing half his Tao in his head when Mai looked at him, is suppose to symbolise. They state that using Tao causes damage to the user, memory lose included and for some reason he's forgotten everything about the island and some time before that, possibly his wife since he forget why he was on the mission on the first place besides the Elixir? I'm really interested what they are gonna do after this, are they gonna just gonna take his memories away and he has to be reminded of everything, or has his Shinobi psyops mode been triggered were he dosen't care if he had or hasn't got a wife, and just follow standard protocols ignoring everything.

All in all, like 8/10 it was a great watch. The story was on and off with me personally, some plot points were genuinely really good and i liked them, others were a bit meh. Really liked how each episode almost had a really story defining twist in it, like a character's death or big reveal, but that also felt like a negative. Characters got axed what felt like way to often and way to fast before they gained any meaning to me as a viewer or the story. Some eps also felt like massive lore dumps that would take a lot to process in one sitting.
Besides from that, characters in this show were great. They felt unique and the ones that did get some development, backstory and growth were shown off really well and had some actual effect to them later on in the story.
Jul 6, 2023 1:56 AM
Mar 2018
I can't wait for the next season to kick off. Just one out of the tensen died. imagine how brutal the other six would be.

how will the survivors cope? Time will tell
Jul 6, 2023 2:57 AM

Nov 2021
Ok these last couple of episodes were absolutely fantastic. The middle dragged a little bit but overall a great first cour. Shion is such a daddy
Jul 6, 2023 5:10 AM
Aug 2021
That was some ending. I was blown away. Not only might his wife not be real but everything he has known growing up😲😲😲😲. Bro was actually a mental experiment. What's worse is all of his progress has been reversed by losing his memories and Mei can sense his Tao is off. He has literally been sent back to factory settings. Shion-dono is actually op. Bro's hatred made him have better yin and yang than Tensen. Nice to see the entire group has been united but the way Senta died was nice he got sent to the afterlife in a peaceful manner.
Jul 6, 2023 6:41 AM
Aug 2021
It was good one time watchable
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why are the animations so bad? ( 1 2 3 )

ScrewFiction - Aug 27, 2023

119 by OvergrownRover »»
Sep 11, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

243 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 9, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2023

313 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

361 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2023

556 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 2:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.