Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 8, 2023 1:41 AM

Apr 2013
Just watched this, good movie. I loved the bullying scene, that should become a standard for dealing with them. 
Jun 8, 2023 10:10 AM
Jan 2020
Good movie, all anime romance fans this is for you.

Jun 9, 2023 9:49 AM
Nov 2019
kinda disappointed
Thought it would be better
Jun 9, 2023 2:20 PM

Sep 2008
Just watched it, waw, anzu is one hell of a fine woman, waiting all those years for that youthful love

kinda funny that took the guy like 20 minutes to realize his mistake, but the consequence was 8 years(1 month of memories vs 8 years of waiting, wow), and then with no regard for her current life Anzu willingly waited for the guy to wake up for another 13 mins or so, logical? Not really, romantic, ofc

the news it would blow to see a 17 yo kid that disappeared for 13 years suddenly reappear looking not a day older, I would like to see an epilogue just to know what happens after the end, but it sure was beautiful 
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jun 10, 2023 8:31 AM
Dec 2022
I personally like it. Anzu was really patient for waiting that guy, but back to reality, I'm sure it's very hard to find a woman like Anzu.

here are my rating
Visual: 9/10 visual are really stunning
Animation: 8/10 some animation are just repetitive or repeating
VA: 8.5/10 the actor did a really good job, but i hate that the guy is always moaning lol
Jun 10, 2023 12:31 PM
Dec 2022
u make me cry, A nasterpiece
Jun 10, 2023 4:04 PM

Oct 2013
Maybe I'm checking out the wrong sites, but the subtitles seem to be pretty shitty. Constant mistakes and mistranslations, like when the teacher refered to the girl as "he".
Jun 14, 2023 7:41 AM
Feb 2021
Movie was good, has good animation and have happy ending which is always the key for me in standalone movie on top when it is romance so I am happy with how the movie played at the end. I would have been broken off if it had an heartbreaking ending but alas it was not rather we got to see the sweet moments to tenderise our heart and it was such a rejoicing and satisfying feel seeing them happy at the end like that. In a nutshell, It was a great watch and definitely recommend other to watch it as well.

Reading the other people comment, seems like movie Abridged the book omitting lot of contents and also has side story after the movie so may be I think I would like to read the novel as well now as movie was so good.
Abysmal_Saint76Jun 14, 2023 7:51 AM
Jun 14, 2023 12:12 PM

Apr 2021
Did he stay the same age at the end? Or is he the same age as her?
Jun 16, 2023 5:38 PM
Jul 2021
it was good but not beyond good
Jun 18, 2023 12:31 PM
Dec 2014
man... what a movie !!! very nice 👌👌
Jun 20, 2023 8:16 AM

Mar 2014
Hmm it's okay not bad but not mind blowing either
Jun 22, 2023 3:31 PM
May 2023
for me this movie is so unique have interesting story line and the topic is very simple to understand. This story tells about the myth of a cave call urashima that can grant any wish for anyone who can find and enter it for a fee. The main character is Touno Kaoru. Touno have one little sister named Karen but unfortunately when they were little they fought. As an apology, his younger brother tried to catch a beetle that his brother wanted. she found it on a tree, but unfortunately he fell from the tree and died. everyone blames Taunu for his Karen death. one day Tounu was running away from his father who was drunk and cornered Tounu about his sister's death. Tounu fell into a short ravine and found a cave that was different from the usual caves so he was curious and entered the cave. after he came out he was surprised because there was a time difference in the cave and outside. he only entered the cave for a while but it turned out that Tounu had disappeared for 1 week. the next day Touno wanted to go to the cave again after school. when he arrived at the cave he was surprised because his friend named Hanashiro Anzu followed him into the cave. Hanashiro want to help Touno to get his sister back
Jun 24, 2023 2:32 AM
Apr 2023
jakeplusyou said:
He stayed the same age and she was 8 years older than him at the end. 
Jun 24, 2023 3:11 AM
Wreckerangel
Feb 2023
Zantrom said:
jakeplusyou said:
He stayed the same age and she was 8 years older than him at the end. 

the problem is I also have a similar question.. so, thanks for the answer

Biography

RomCom Lovers!
Jun 24, 2023 5:03 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
SHOW ME YOUR WORLD

Aight say less. *starts taking off pants*

WHOA WAIT WTF NOT THAT WORLD

So Anzu wanted to be with Kaoru, but chose not to go into the tunnel after him because she didn't want to throw away the opportunity that Kaoru believed that she had. However, if she REALLY wanted nothing else than to be with Kaoru, she could have easily gone after him into the tunnel, right? If she chose to go into the tunnel that day, Kaoru would probably be just a short walking distance away from the first tree where time is slowed down. But she doesn't, and grows to be 8, or is it 13, years older than Kaoru. If they find the age thing an issue, she herself can just chill in the tunnel for a couple hours or however long it takes, and then it's no problem. But I personally don't care either way. Maybe Kaoru himself likes older women. And all anime characters before retirement age look to be in the same age group anyway.

As for Kaoru, too bad he wasted all those years in chasing after his sister, only to realize that he'd thrown away what was already dear to him. Pretty cliché, but for me that's not the issue here. Was Karen simply a vision, or could Kaoru have indeed taken her with him back outside the tunnel? I mean he got his pet bird back. Maybe there are some unspoken rules about what and who you can bring back? Because, wouldn't that have been kind of nice if he could return Karen to himself and his family? Idfk. I'll just go with the theory that bringing along his little sister would slow him down too much and would waste many precious years he could have had with Anzu. Although he does trip and fall in the tunnel and is out for who knows how long. But his text which he sends as he's running does reach Anzu in time for her to come and get him, but wouldn't that text have taken ages to reach her, if texts actually work at all? Didn't they mention that texting doesn't work either or is really wack? I guess we're not meant to think about it too much, it's probably not that deep.

Now Anzu could have gone into the tunnel to see Kaoru at any time during all those years, but probably didn't because she was an up and coming manga artist and didn't want to throw what she was pursuing this whole time, away. But she risks it all when she receives the text from Kaoru, and then goes into the tunnel finally and spends I have no idea how long in there. Did she go in because he finally told her how he feels about her? It's not like he was dead or anything, just that time was moving very very slowly in there. Idk why she gives up or at least risks her position in the manga industry, but I guess it can be simply answered as it being love. Maybe she couldn't hold back anymore, and that one text was enough to send her flying back to him and to give him a six hour kiss.

I got kind of intrigued when they were talking about 1,000 years passing when they emerge from the tunnel. I thought they were actually going to go that route, and then come out to see either a futuristic earth or a destroyed earth or however they think earth will be a thousand years from now. Definitely would've made things interesting. But hey a decade's worth is alright too. I did like the scene where Kaoru is with Karen, but then picks up his phone to see the texts that Anzu had sent him all those years while he was in the tunnel. That was some Interstellar sh*t. And the text that Anzu opens from Kaoru, reading "I love you"? That was some Your Name sh*t.

Anyway, summing up "The Tunnel of Summer", it was a very 7/10 movie. Great animation as expected of a movie-level production, very easy on the eyes and pleasant to look at. I wish all anime were animated to this standard. Good music. The tunnel made for a very interesting concept. Our main characters are... serviceable, they get the job done, they're not completely dry. I was invested in them by the end of the movie, but really only started to care just before the hour-mark. And that said, this movie was under an hour and 20 minutes long. It's enough to tell the story no problem, but I think could've benefited from being longer. If they fill it in with the right stuff, a 2-hour version of this probably would've been much better. But if they're aiming to stay faithful to the source material and not add anymore, what else can you do. It's respectable at the least for not changing or adding anything. I still would've liked it to be a bit longer though, just so that I can start caring a bit earlier maybe.

Ultimately kind of forgettable, but good while it lasted.

7.3/10

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Jun 24, 2023 8:43 AM
May 2021
whywhywhywhy nottt??? 5/5 !!!!!
Jun 29, 2023 5:32 AM

Aug 2020
...that was really good. almost perfect, to be honest... there is no pacing problems, although i read a lot about it, – the movie overall is superb and stylish: this voice acting, those mature characters, that "dry" realistic feeling poured throughout the movie... i'd say, 9/10.

they even managed to make climax NON-SENTIMENTAL. shocked...
Jun 29, 2023 6:39 AM

Aug 2020
 mcsuper said:
...but in the end, i’m not particularly sure what the movie’s message really is.
Jun 29, 2023 6:44 AM

Aug 2020
kiriann said:
one of the best romance anime film out there!
definitely, far more better than 'your name.'
Jun 29, 2023 7:00 AM

Aug 2020
tsuyo_mika said:
why did he puke though? 
Jun 29, 2023 7:24 AM

Aug 2020
darkdaxter said:
kebenajJul 8, 2023 5:06 AM
Jun 29, 2023 7:31 AM

Aug 2020
qswa said:
was a very wholesome anime in general.
true!        
Jun 29, 2023 7:58 AM

May 2020
kebenaj said:
tsuyo_mika said:
why did he puke though? 
I see. So it was a way of showing his disgust at his father's actions. That was so literal, that I thought it had some deeper meaning. 
Jun 29, 2023 8:26 AM

Aug 2020
tsuyo_mika said:
i see. so it was a way of showing his disgust at his father's actions. that was so literal, that i thought it had some deeper meaning.
Jun 30, 2023 11:12 PM
Oct 2021
made me realize how lonely I am and desperately needing a girlfriend. Maybe an umbrella would work?
Jul 1, 2023 1:38 AM
Jun 2012
Muy hermosa y emotiva película.
Jul 3, 2023 6:15 AM
Jul 2023
that movie was so good i loved that romance
Jul 4, 2023 2:45 AM
Oct 2021
the scenes, cinematic, voice acting and visual art so masterpiece 10/10.
Jul 8, 2023 12:29 AM
Jul 2023
this movie is great. you should watch it.
Jul 8, 2023 11:38 AM

Oct 2015
The movie's premise wasn't really anything exactly new but  I really appreciated the dialogue between the two and especially the shots, god damn some of those were really beautiful and really elevated the experience for me. I came in fully expecting a full superficial movie and I'm glad I was proven wrong.
Jul 8, 2023 3:03 PM
Mar 2021
The manga was better. sorry not sorry.
Jul 9, 2023 3:04 AM

May 2015
It was unexpectedly good, though that age gap at the end! Anzu now has to act as his guardian until he finishes high-school :)
IshitatesoJul 9, 2023 3:30 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Jul 9, 2023 8:27 PM
Mar 2021
MagicPolly said:
Well guess I'll be back here in 6-8 months

I have no idea how many months it’s been
Jul 14, 2023 1:24 PM

Oct 2017
Pretty hollow adaptation cut characters and themes in favour of romance
Jul 14, 2023 4:23 PM

Mar 2014
I just cba to write another spile about this movie so here's a copy and paste from another thread;
I'm glad to see that I'm not one of the few LN readers that came out of this movie feeling disappointed on how rushed this movie felt.
Good gravy, did they butch the original material. First off as a movie (If you're one of the lucky few who didn't read the LN) the film is solid, nice watch for it is.

However going into this film I was expecting to see the following and yet none of it;

Forgive if I missed anything but hot damn his film missed the target so badly. Its like having a KFC fried chicken, to only have the outer chicken skin all taken out and left with the chicken itself. You like the chicken...but its the CHICKEN SKIN that makes it all appealing (Weird analogy I know)
To conclude I thought the movie was decent, but I just didn't think it lived up to the original source and ruined what made the LN sooo lovely to read and enjoy.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jul 15, 2023 2:09 PM

Feb 2012
Hello 2036, has a lot changed?

jk

I saw this only seeing the trailer once and not reading the synopsis so I had no idea what to expect. It ended up being a less tragic take on time-dilation romance than what was done previously in anime like Hoshi no Koe. Hanashiro learnt to be confident in what she had and work on it further instead of taking a risky shortcut to her dream whereas Touno learnt to let go of the past.

When Hanashiro and Touno started doing experiments on the tunnel it also reminded me of Penguin Highway. I wondered if the mechanism behind the tunnel was a gravitational anomaly.
Fortress_MaximusJul 15, 2023 2:45 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 16, 2023 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
Took some 13 years or something but that doofus Tono finally got his umbrella back, overally nice advertisement for the umbrella quality although not so much for the late trains that hit all those poor deers.

Jul 17, 2023 10:01 PM
Apr 2023
movie actually pretty good. watched it at 2023
Jul 24, 2023 10:00 AM
Oct 2020
This anime reminds me of a movie called "Interstellar". I felt that the storyline was too fast paced or too forced that the romantic feelings were not really conveyed.
Overall, I don't think this anime is the best but it's not bad either.
Jul 25, 2023 10:57 AM
Aug 2022
good animating cgi and more 10/9
Jul 25, 2023 11:49 PM

Oct 2021
that's it? atleast show us some post-time scenes of their relationship, pretty cliche movie but plot is so good. i still don't get what was the point of him going into tunnel he never got his sister back just a glimpse of memory and some advice which imo is no way worth 13 years he wasted in that tunnel. but yeah that made the movie more impactful as anzu got older so we got some good moments of how she waited for him for 8 years. they should have let them meet in the last train umbrella scene.. that could've made it more emotional. good movie tho 8/10
Aug 1, 2023 4:32 PM
Sep 2020
damn, just watch it and you'll understand.
Aug 4, 2023 11:41 PM
Apr 2023
It just didn't wow me or have that much emotional character IMO. The character's don't change or grow over the course of the movie THAT much and I felt like there wasn't that much emotional interaction between the two main characters.
Aug 9, 2023 8:44 PM
Oct 2021
it was a great movie , the story was compelling , the character deigns were very good , the over all plot and the ending was also very well handled all in all its a really great movie
Aug 11, 2023 5:54 AM
Oct 2017
It has good passing, does not focus to much on the mondaine school sitations, has a great sense of mystery
Aug 17, 2023 4:46 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
This tunnel is a good way to stop aging..
Anyway I just wanna disappear from this world into this tunnel..
Like Tono-kun, I live in my own world..

I love the mystery the sceneries and the rain..

Aug 17, 2023 4:49 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
HueyLion said:
I just cba to write another spile about this movie so here's a copy and paste from another thread;
I'm glad to see that I'm not one of the few LN readers that came out of this movie feeling disappointed on how rushed this movie felt.
Good gravy, did they butch the original material. First off as a movie (If you're one of the lucky few who didn't read the LN) the film is solid, nice watch for it is.

However going into this film I was expecting to see the following and yet none of it;

Forgive if I missed anything but hot damn his film missed the target so badly. Its like having a KFC fried chicken, to only have the outer chicken skin all taken out and left with the chicken itself. You like the chicken...but its the CHICKEN SKIN that makes it all appealing (Weird analogy I know)
To conclude I thought the movie was decent, but I just didn't think it lived up to the original source and ruined what made the LN sooo lovely to read and enjoy.

Nice of you to let me know, I guess Tono-kun mom left the house to start a new life and she doesn't want him getting in the way of her new happy life..
This is how some modern day women are..

Aug 19, 2023 12:35 PM

May 2015
I felt it was rushed, but overall solid story. Don't wase your time guys. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 22, 2023 10:46 AM

Dec 2012
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» the end of the movie. clarification

Phantom_373 - Jun 12, 2023

22 by Menace_07 »»
Yesterday, 8:26 PM

» How can you make an adaptation as bad as this?

eleven_exists - Sep 23

22 by eleven_exists »»
Sep 24, 9:05 AM

» Isn't MC just a self centered, immature Brat (Spoilers of course) ( 1 2 )

Mathi786 - Aug 6

72 by Mathi786 »»
Aug 18, 8:43 AM

» (SPOILER) Why didn't Anzu...

hainq - Jul 27, 2023

21 by Mathi786 »»
Aug 6, 3:23 PM

» Damn, it's BAD

Akita_Han - Nov 16, 2023

25 by thehornedrat »»
Jun 17, 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.