Forum Settings
Forums
Suzume
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jun 12, 2023 7:15 PM
Dec 2021
I watched in the cinema and it was awesome!
Jun 13, 2023 9:09 AM
Dec 2022
Just amazing... and the animation just wow..
Jun 19, 2023 3:06 AM

Nov 2021
What the fuck are these reviews? This movie was great! ISTG half of MAL users are either anime elitist snobs who've seen practically every anime ever made or just don't feel happiness anymore. The visuals were beautiful, and it feels like a slap to the face to the animators that put their blood, sweat, and dedication into this movie to simply say the art was just "OK." The music was nice and really added depth to most emotional scenes. The character's motivations and personalities were simple to complement the story and to be the main focus! Also, come on, when have you seen an animated movie about a HS student and a chair traveling across Japan to prevent a supernatural spirit/being from causing devastating natural disasters with recurring talking cat gods. 

The only negative was the fact the love interest was a university student trying to become a teacher,,, (the irony), and the main character was a junior HS student who was definitely between 15-17. BUT overall this movie was great and if i had the chance to watch this in theaters i would have come out pleasantly surprised. 9/10!

Jun 19, 2023 5:47 AM
Jun 2023
Bro created a problem then solve it. "masterpiece" fr
Jun 20, 2023 6:12 AM

Jul 2020
a breathtaking movie! 
tbh I kinda wished Daijin woulda stayed a cat and Souta stayed a Keystone, lol
9/10 though, just fascinating
Jun 21, 2023 2:00 PM
Jun 2023
It was good in general.
Jun 27, 2023 11:47 PM
Jun 2023
Yea this is decent, based
Jun 28, 2023 10:41 AM

Feb 2019
Sorry, I kind of didn't like how the last scene was directed with Suzume seeing Souta again on the road.
Full close up of him smiling back at her and saying "I'm home" would've been a perfect finish imo.
And seriously. If these liked each other they should've of shared a bit of intimate feelings in the end, but yeah... that's all left for the viewer to fantasize about.
But I liked them (as a couple) tho.

Jun 30, 2023 6:08 AM
Jul 2022
It was visually so appealing, but Your name was literally way better than this movie of Makoto Shinkai.
Jul 2, 2023 6:27 PM

Jan 2012
I enjoyed the radio playlist more
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jul 3, 2023 5:25 PM
Jul 2023
I can't express, It's just a masterpiece :)
Jul 4, 2023 10:21 AM

Jul 2021
It's aight. I thought the concept about the door to stop all these earthquakes happening in different location was a cool idea, but everything fades when Souta turned into a chair, which I felt some parts of the movie just drags with quite a lot of human dramas that I don't give a care about. Thought the cat was really mean at first, but he/she was just helping Suzume to get Souta transformed back into a chair. It's the same formula that irks me the most and differently visualize in any-ways + OST doesn't hit me when it comes to emotional impact that much compared to Makoto Shinkai's other movies.
Jul 4, 2023 12:47 PM

Apr 2009
Your Name is one of my fav anime films but this was so boring. I barely hit the 20-minute mark. The plot is for kids - hey look a cute cat, oh wow a walking chair. 
Jul 5, 2023 6:11 AM
Dec 2022
It was boring at the first 1 hour, because the plot are repetitive like they just searching the cat and closing doors. But when Satou become whatever i forgot and Suzume try to bring him back is making my drowsiness gone
Jul 5, 2023 4:18 PM
Aug 2020
it was a great movie, i really didn't see the time flies at the beginning after more than an hour.

i was not expecting that kind of story, it's original, the ost and animation are great.

yes, it could be better, but at the end of the day, i had a great time so i won't complain.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jul 6, 2023 9:15 PM
Jan 2022
THIS ONE SUCKS SHOHDIHKJF
Jul 7, 2023 6:02 AM
Nov 2014
At first it felt kinda repetitive, but overall I enjoyed the movie a lot. It seems like Shinkai’s formula is the same, but still working :)
Jul 7, 2023 10:12 AM
Jan 2022
This is by far the best movie i've ever seen and can call this my favorite anime also I wish it was more
Jul 8, 2023 12:20 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yay, got to watch it subbed finally, after making the mistake of accidentally buying a ticket to the dubbed versions in theatres while it was showing. And yes, much better. Although I miss the theatrical experience of this with the sound and big screen, so ultimately they cancel out to make this 2nd viewing an equally as enjoyable experience. 

There are still some things I don't quite get, like pretty much those two cats as a whole. First they're like: we can't be keystones anymore, then stuff happens, and then they become keystones, because, reasons? Did Daijin respect Suzume's resolve to become the keystone so much that they said "ah fk it you got me in the feels, I'll do it myself, again, ig." Like just WHO or WHAT are these cats, and also what was the deal again with the black one, Sadaijin, seemingly influencing Suzume's aunt there to let all her feelings out and get pretty angry? A test of sorts?? There's probably a good explanation for all that lying around here somewhere, but it's okay even if there isn't. Because what really matters is the end which holds the touching moment of Suzume telling her younger past self that everything's going to be okay. Since her young self is wandering around the ever-after land, does that imply that she was on the verge of death, or at least seeking it as she sought after her mother who had died in the earthquake? If present Suzume never came, maybe she would have died right then and there. A time loop paradox thingy for sure, but we don't need to go there.

I do see that it's score of 8.4 has surpassed Weathering With You's of 8.2. Was it always like this? Not that scores are that significant of course, but it still tells something. I still like Weathering With You a bit more though; Suzume is lacking a "YEAH LETS FKING GOOO" moment like Grand Escape.  Anyway, still a good movie of course, enjoyed it just as much as the first time (well maybe just a little less despite watching it dubbed the first time, I had a lively audience to share the experience with and that definitely made my first watch really good), and I'll stick to my initial rating of a 7.5/10.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 8, 2023 10:30 AM

Mar 2014
I love it I just love it
Jul 8, 2023 12:07 PM
Jun 2021
meng nya ksian...
Jul 8, 2023 10:30 PM

Jul 2021
This is the first Shinkai movie that I knew about from the day it was announced. I finally watched it, and it was... good, but it is not better than any of his other works (among the ones I have watched).

I liked the story, visuals, cinematography, and soundtracks. Nothing in this movie was bad, but the story could have been better. The story and lore were fleshed out more than in Shinkai's previous works, but it was too fast-paced to form bonds with the characters. Still, it doesn't take away from the whole experience of the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, like all of his other works, but not to the level that I would call it a masterpiece. One possible reason for this is that the plot bears similarities to Shinkai's previous films.

There were only two songs in this movie (excluding Serizawa's playlist), unlike Kimi no Na Wa and Tenki no Ko. Nevertheless, both of them were great. RADWIMPS provided us with some good songs as always. The song that played during the credits was in classic RADWIMPS style—sad and nostalgic—while the other song from the trailer was grandiose and supernatural. One aspect worth mentioning is the placement of the songs. While Sparrow (the song from the trailer) appeared in various scenes throughout the movie, the other song, Kanata Haluka, was played during the credits, this was similar to Nandemonaiya from Kimi No Na Wa, but it didn't evoke the same feeling that makes you go, "This was a damn good movie" Another factor contributing to why I can't consider it a masterpiece.

All things considered, I give it an 8/10.
“There are only two types of people in the world--those who became otaku and those who didn't--and the latter just can't understand what the former is so excited about."--Ono Norihiro

Jul 9, 2023 12:16 AM

Feb 2019
muzlee01 said:
This was... so lame.

Visuals, soundtrack and voice acting are top notch perfection.

But what the f is this story even supposed to be? 

The whole conflict is built upon Daijin being an a*s  then te little sh*t has the audacity to get offended and act all sad. The other cat is even worse, he just literally spawned next to the main group.
Also what was up with the aunt saying the most horrid things imaginable to Suzume then we act like nothing happened?
And what is the conclusion? That a 16yo girl falling in love with a 24yo dude because he looks pretty is the true love?

The characters are literally cardboard cutouts and story feels like it was written by a 14yo child who was raised on disney. 
So many times yes! And the high score truly buffles me. This movie was nothing nearly good as Your Name and Weathering with you. Not that I'm a fan of both movies but I can at least acknowledge the were decent enjoyment and the popularity is well deserved. Unlike Suzume, it's recognizable mostly because of the viral song.

And the cat was the worst thing about this movie. How can anyone find that little piece of $hIt cute when it caused so much suffering to the main characters and acted like a victim in the end?

Jul 9, 2023 2:52 PM
Jul 2020
I liked you bettwe when you were a chair.
Jul 9, 2023 7:00 PM

Jan 2015
All movies made by these guys, Your name, Weathering with You and now Suzume's Door-Locking are all magnificent.
Jul 10, 2023 3:37 PM
Jul 2023
Perfect ! C'était vraiment digne du réalisateur comme d'haabitude
Jul 10, 2023 9:06 PM
Jun 2023
ta bien la verdad tuvo sus cositas
Jul 12, 2023 11:49 AM

Feb 2022
The visuals and music was very good but the story seems to be bit not seems to be good like the previous films.
Jul 13, 2023 8:13 PM
Mar 2021
amazing need a series to show what will happen will suzume get with him what about her aunt who will she be with will she marry someone and what about Daijin???
Jul 21, 2023 10:31 AM

Aug 2019
The plot was overall weak and generic af, full of contrivances, basically a mcguffin chase with same old Makoto tropes...I hope he reinvents himself and hires better writers, since this one felt like it has been written by AI. I was so bored I couldn't force myself to watch the last 30 min (and I'm a huge fan of Shinkai it's just that visual spectacle doesn't cut it for me anymore, I expect more from him)
Jul 23, 2023 4:15 PM
Jul 2023
It was alright but the age gap between the characters is quite irratating.
Jul 23, 2023 4:52 PM
Jan 2018
REALLY GOOD ANIME
Jul 24, 2023 5:06 AM

Feb 2022
Again a banger from Makoto Shinkai .... a nice watch
Jul 24, 2023 12:19 PM

Oct 2017
Gonna start by praising the ending scene, that was so satisfying. I thought it had ended when Suzume and Souta came back but it didn't. Suzume and Tamaki going back home and meeting the people Suzume met along her journey again, that was so satisfying. We even got to see Souta come back at the end there. I just wish Daijin was with them, would have been a perfect end that way.

So back to the begining, this movie really grabbed my attention with the first 10~15 minutes. That was such a great way to start the movie. Liked the adventure feel in this, Suzume sure went to lots of places and met many people. Really liked their interactions, definitely one of the stronger parts of the movie. As for the whole supernatural setting with the door and other world it was okay. I found Kimi no Na Wa and Tenki no Ko's supernarutal setting/events way more intriguing. Though I liked the side characters in this movie more than the other shinkai movies. Specially Suzume's aunt, she's such a great girl and deserves happiness. I wish they showed who she ended up with. It felt like she would end up with Minoru at first but she had a nice thing going on with Serizawa and I enjoyed their interactions. Wish this ship sailed but maybe it did? The other characters Suzume met along her journey were nice too, liked them all. Also lastly definitely have to mention Daijin, he was misunderstood at first but he was such a great cat. Wish he could stay with them.

The scene with little Suzume and big Suzume was so emotional. I teared up. She was a little child so she didn't understand what happened to her mother, it was heartbreaking. And man HanaKana has been voicing these dead characters lately which made it hit harder for me.

The animation, visuals in this was top notch as expected from a shinkai movie. The soundtracks were great too, radwimps never misses. Overall had a pleasant time watching the movie and enjoyed it. It got a bit stale at times but the end part made up for it.
Jul 29, 2023 3:56 AM

Sep 2021
best shinkai movie so far, imo

too many ghibli references, or should i say, majo no takkyuubin references.

plus those yumi arai and seiko matsuda songs aaaaaaaaaaaa. the staff surely love city pop!
AoButa16Jul 29, 2023 4:01 AM
Aug 1, 2023 6:33 AM
Aug 2023
It was a good film in genral and vissually however i will sya that the idea of the movie is starting to get a little bland'

Aug 10, 2023 5:31 AM
May 2017
Did I loved it: yes! But it doesn't mean we should ignore the fact; Makoto Shinkai is coping few theme from Your Name the second time and that movie was a copy of his earlier work. He is running out of original idea during the world building and other certain segment of the story or hammering it in because of some bias. Of course almost all of his work have been about love being separated in some way being either the main focus or secondary to something really big. But how many will he do this. And how many time will be repeatedly do the 'experiencing Tokyo life or region around Tokyo' as part of his setting instead of something like Children who chase lost voice or The Place promised in our early days. 

He is over playing his hand.
Aug 11, 2023 11:38 AM
Jul 2023
I waited for this movie for 5 months since the first teasers of the song.It was so worth it.I cried tears of happines at the end and my whole day was better.
Aug 13, 2023 4:30 PM
Jun 2016
qhat a tremendous animation, and story, not to mention the music, and sfx, simply masterpiece
Aug 15, 2023 9:00 AM
May 2021
Lovely. Good escape.
Aug 15, 2023 12:59 PM

May 2020
Finally got around watching this. Been thinking for months but when something is around or over 2 hours in duration, I kind of just delay it and delay it lol. Happened the same back then with director's last movie.

Anyways, I wanted this movie to be something which could've outdone the masterclass "Your name" was, but seldom you get your expectations answered right smh. As from the get go we may have dived straight into the business with the doors/earthquakes/(un)domesticated worms/ talking cats and might be a few more, but quite honestly even up until the very last minute there wasn't any attempt from their side to explain quite a few things which needed some serious answers.

First of all, I'm kind of confused with this keystone thing then second, what that ANYWHERE DOOR was doing in the backyard of Suzume's home or whatever place that was because I mean she passed through it as a kid right? Also we lack a hell LOT of background telling on Souta, I mean yes he was a closer but that's just all we know lol.

Though plot isn't always the strongest aspect of Shinkai's movies anyways, it's always the top-notch visuals, animation, camera work, and music carrying the weight, atleast I felt so watching most of them except your name. Also for romance, I'd again say he ain't the best person to write them lol. But happy for Suzume and Souta.. wondering if her aunt who had a breakdown found someone or not?

This movie was like a mash-up of Your name and Weathering with you. I did find it enjoyable, had laughs but honestly it really wasn't anything "remarkable", and it isn't an insult, just that I had more expectations.

Though it having the benefit of duration unlike other Shinkai movies, I'll be really really generous and will settle with a seven.

7/10.
Aug 16, 2023 3:38 AM
Jul 2023
While the animation and graphics were really good as always, there is so much just left uncleared in this movie that I could not feel satisfied in any way.
Also while the overall graphics were good, the character animation was so not good enough. daijin is cute, but that's it. sadaijin? no idea what or why. i kept thinking the worm is going to turn out to be something they can resolve or heal. that didn't happen. there is just so much vagueness. since the overall feel was not very good, it was okay for me.
Aug 17, 2023 2:40 PM
Mar 2020
Wow, solid 9/10. only issue being the pacing. Apart from that, a masterfully crafted film, definitely my second fav shinkai work after the obvious your name, which ive seen 70 times already lmao. The osts, artstyle and extreme detail to which many scenes are animated always blow my mind and expectations out of the water. The plot was very interesting and hooking tho not the strongest, but the beautiful animation and fun character dynamics truly made up for it. Really really great film, excited for Shinkai's next release!
Aug 19, 2023 6:43 PM

Jan 2011
Shinkai does it again

the movie had outstanding visuals and an fun sense of adventure, its main characters are charming, the soundtrack is good an the story is entertaining enough, the conclusion d ve been a bit better though

8/10
Aug 20, 2023 2:26 AM
Aug 2022
The romance didnt really make much sense but overall it was a pretty good movie.
Aug 22, 2023 8:16 PM
May 2023
just wonderful, the best so far xD
Aug 23, 2023 5:10 AM
Aug 2023
Aug 24, 2023 7:16 AM

Jan 2021
Loved this movie and that "ru ru ruru" song
Roxy

Aug 28, 2023 8:33 PM
Nov 2021
Very good movie by Shinkai the legend... definitely worth re-watching 😌😌
Aug 31, 2023 12:19 PM
Dec 2022
love it
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Is Suzume not related to your name/weathering with you?

BAKA0402 - Apr 27, 2023

27 by Remlz_77 »»
Sep 2, 9:14 PM

» Feet and shoes in the film

trvekvlt666 - May 19

22 by Comander-07 »»
Jul 12, 2:42 PM

» Remake of weathering with you? ( 1 2 )

Hickykissy - May 1

52 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 7, 3:15 AM

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

42 by BroodEagle »»
May 11, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Next natural disaster?

mechian - Apr 15, 2023

6 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.