Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 22, 2021 1:18 PM
Dec 2020
puruprendo said:
It's a black comedy. The rape scene is *supposed* to be stupid and hilarious. Whether you like or not this kind of comedy is your opinion, don't blame the creators.

this is not dark humour, whats so funny about a nun getting raped over classical music with colours flying around everywhere. dark humour stops being dark humour past a certain point, and just starts becoming illegal and stupid
some people...
Jul 22, 2021 1:19 PM
Dec 2020
dkdumpling said:
puruprendo said:
It's a black comedy. The rape scene is *supposed* to be stupid and hilarious. Whether you like or not this kind of comedy is your opinion, don't blame the creators.

Ah yes, a Nun gets raped and prays to god for salvation while the soldiers dance over her violated body.

How fucking funny.

fr thats what i said too
some people...
Jul 22, 2021 1:22 PM
May 2020
hmstr said:
dkdumpling said:

Ah yes, a Nun gets raped and prays to god for salvation while the soldiers dance over her violated body.

How fucking funny.

fr thats what i said too

I'm not a snowflake by any means but the people here seem to be misunderstanding what can be classified as humour and what is just actual sociopathic behaviour. There were people defending redo of healer and that anime (if you can even call it that) is just the protagonist raping an innocent woman. What the fuck has to be wrong with you mentally to defend that?
Jul 22, 2021 1:22 PM

Feb 2019
dkdumpling said:

Literally just read some reviews of a clockwork orange and it doesn't seem like its a very good movie either..

Yeah that Stanley Kubrick guy was a hack...most of his movies were given horrible reveiws....
Jul 22, 2021 1:24 PM

Aug 2017
dkdumpling said:

Literally just read some reviews of a clockwork orange and it doesn't seem like its a very good movie either. It basically just glorifies sexual violence and attempts to portray "a man's inescapable destiny of violence". Which btw just sounds dumb.

Lol? Read that one negative review of a beloved movie and case closed? A Clockwork Orange's main point is how the criminal justice system sucks (still valid today btw). It doesn't glorify absolutely anything. And neither does Itaden.

dkdumpling said:

So the fact that this anime is just straight up making light of rape and putting classical music over it makes it seem like the director really doesn't understand the seriousness of the topic. You would think the director would learn why shit like SAO got so much criticism for the way it handled those sensitive topics and how you are supposed to handle that kind of topic if you absolutely must include it in your story.

Again, it's a BLACK COMEDY. It's making fun of everything. Be it rape, child soldiers, child rapists as the chief clerks of childcare support and families brutally killed by the military of an imperialist nation. If the comedy doesn't work with you, totally fine. Nobody's forcing you to watch it.
puruprendoJul 22, 2021 1:29 PM
Jul 22, 2021 1:26 PM
Dec 2020
puruprendo said:
dkdumpling said:

Literally just read some reviews of a clockwork orange and it doesn't seem like its a very good movie either. It basically just glorifies sexual violence and attempts to portray "a man's inescapable destiny of violence". Which btw just sounds dumb.

Lol? Read that one negative review of a beloved movie and case closed? A Clockwork Orange's main point is how the criminal justice system sucks (still valid today btw). It doesn't glorify absolutely anything. And neither does Itaden.

dkdumpling said:

So the fact that this anime is just straight up making light of rape and putting classical music over it makes it seem like the director really doesn't understand the seriousness of the topic. You would think the director would learn why shit like SAO got so much criticism for the way it handled those sensitive topics and how you are supposed to handle that kind of topic if you absolutely must include it in your story.

Again, it's a BLACK COMEDY. It's making fun of everything. Be it rape, child soldiers, child rapists as the chief clerks of childcare support and families brutally killed by the military of an empirialistic nation. If the comedy doesn't work with you, totally fine. Nobody's forcing you to watch it.

get help. that isnt humour, if u find it funny, i recommend getting a check up at the doctors.
some people...
Jul 22, 2021 1:26 PM
May 2020
HOOfan_1 said:
dkdumpling said:

Literally just read some reviews of a clockwork orange and it doesn't seem like its a very good movie either..

Yeah that Stanley Kubrick guy was a hack...most of his movies were given horrible reveiws....

I know that Stanley Kubrick is an exceptional film maker, it doesn't mean that all his movies are perfect. A clockwork orange is an example of that.
Jul 22, 2021 1:29 PM
May 2020
puruprendo said:
dkdumpling said:

dkdumpling said:

Again, it's a BLACK COMEDY. It's making fun of everything. Be it rape, child soldiers, child rapists as the chief clerks of childcare support and families brutally killed by the military of an empirialistic nation. If the comedy doesn't work with you, totally fine. Nobody's forcing you to watch it.

You must be fucked up in the head to think that child rapists and all of those other things are funny. For the love of christ get some mental help. It's not funny. I don't think you fully understand just how serious rape actually is. Anyway this is my last reply because you are delusional as fuck.
Jul 22, 2021 1:29 PM

Feb 2019
dkdumpling said:

I know that Stanley Kubrick is an exceptional film maker, it doesn't mean that all his movies are perfect. A clockwork orange is an example of that.

Nothing is perfect. However, I think there is a difference between not liking something, and saying it isn't good.

I don't like mobster movies or shows like Godfather, or Good Fellas, or Sopranos. But I understand that they are considered masterpieces.
Jul 22, 2021 1:30 PM
Dec 2020
dkdumpling said:
puruprendo said:

You must be fucked up in the head to think that child rapists and all of those other things are funny. For the love of christ get some mental help. It's not funny. I don't think you fully understand just how serious rape actually is. Anyway this is my last reply because you are delusional as fuck.

I won't be replying to any more messages here also, this place is littered with strange people. Not everyone ofcoure, but, majority tbh.
some people...
Jul 22, 2021 1:34 PM

Aug 2017
dkdumpling said:

Black comedy doesn't mean ridiculing the subject or the victims themselves, or even belittling their suffering. Festen is one of the most brutal and honest depictions of child abuse (ending in suicide) I've ever seen, but it's still funny as hell.
Jul 22, 2021 1:37 PM

Sep 2019
Pretty good first episode, I had a lot of fun. Liked the jokes, the VAs were great, the girls were hot, animation was good. I LOVED the OP visuals. I didn’t expect them to rape the nun at the end lmao, she was hot.
z00nexJul 22, 2021 1:41 PM
Jul 22, 2021 1:56 PM

Jul 2019
I see now that people are very shocked at that ending. Idk if I should be surprised at myself for not being phased at all or if this reaches another Goblin Slayer hate lol.

Anyways, to each their own.
Jul 22, 2021 1:59 PM

Apr 2014
hmstr said:
dkdumpling said:
Damn bruh why isn't anybody talking about how bad that last scene is? Director decided to completely remove any kind of seriousness that scene should have had by adding classical music and basically making light of the entire situation. Fucked up.

have you read any of my messages, what do you mean nobody is talking about it. It completely ruined the episode for me for sure

It's the same 3/4 people who keep replying to this thread rehashing "How bad this scene was" etc.

It's you @hmstr and @dkdumpling who keep preaching their opinion on others, littering the thread with pointless discussion and ridiculing anyone who disagree with you.

Petty as fck.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Jul 22, 2021 2:08 PM
Dec 2020
Byniavo said:
I don't like this at all. I will probably drop it if I don't enjoy episode 2

Watch till episode 3. If you don't like it then, then drop it. 2 episodes isn't enough to tell whether something is good or bad.
Jul 22, 2021 2:35 PM

May 2018
dkdumpling said:
hmstr said:

fr thats what i said too

I'm not a snowflake by any means but the people here seem to be misunderstanding what can be classified as humour and what is just actual sociopathic behaviour. There were people defending redo of healer and that anime (if you can even call it that) is just the protagonist raping an innocent woman. What the fuck has to be wrong with you mentally to defend that?

“an innocent woman" bwahahaha ok that was funny
Jul 22, 2021 2:44 PM

Feb 2017
DarkDooM2 said:

>Cool-kyou Shinja adaptation
>lewds are cut
I feel robbed.

What do you mean by "lewds are cut"?
I heard from manga readers that there's not that much service other than in action scenes
Jul 22, 2021 2:53 PM

Apr 2015
I am digging this colorful art style and animation. MAPPA at it again with their god tier production value. It looks to be pretty goofy with some great comedy so far.

Welp, about that comedy....

This shit went from goofy comedy to some serious dark shit at the end. My god, that was surprising. They violated that nun (to put it mildly) and danced on it with some classical music... If this is tone setter, then I don't know what else to expect from this show so far.

I'll watch more though.. interesting premiere.
Jul 22, 2021 2:58 PM
Mar 2017
the rape scene was so fucking unnecessary and out of place, enough said. rest of the episode was alright though.
Jul 22, 2021 2:58 PM
May 2016
Interesting art and story, really thought someone would help the nun. Wasn't expecting the Kubrickian Waltz music rape :( Quite the tone setter about the indifference of the gods in this world...though I guess no different than reality.
Jul 22, 2021 3:21 PM
Jun 2013
hmstr said:
dkdumpling said:

I won't be replying to any more messages here also, this place is littered with strange people. Not everyone ofcoure, but, majority tbh.

Yes, please stop, your constant whinning comments derailing at least half of the thread are annoying as fuck, get over yourself, no one cares
Jul 22, 2021 3:29 PM

Jun 2014
After seeing that rape scene at the end I knew what I was going to see coming into this thread......and I was right.

Anyway, pretty good first episode, everything seems interesting so far and I like the flashy colorful visual style.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jul 22, 2021 4:02 PM

Sep 2018
What a banging OP

What a great first episode.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jul 22, 2021 4:06 PM

Sep 2019
hmstr said:
puruprendo said:

get help. that isnt humour, if u find it funny, i recommend getting a check up at the doctors.
he needs to get himself checked because he found something that the creators made to make the audience laugh funny? lol
Jul 22, 2021 4:08 PM
Dec 2020
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
hmstr said:

Yes, please stop, your constant whinning comments derailing at least half of the thread are annoying as fuck, get over yourself, no one cares

Even if you say no one cares, this is literally a forum. Are forums not intended for people to talk? My bad for thinking rape is bad also. I have made a severe and continuous lapse in my judgement. I only actually wrote one forum post initially, the rest were replies to people, if you think what I did was that bad, then why are you even on a forum discussing the episode if you're just gonna bash me. If you actually look at most of my messages, they're replies to other people. once again, im so so sorry for discussing the episode in a discussion forum. Please forgive me. Clowns
some people...
Jul 22, 2021 4:09 PM
Dec 2020
z00nex said:
hmstr said:

he needs to get himself checked because he found something that the creators made to make the audience laugh funny? lol

just so you know, the director isnt perfect, everyone knows that, so even if he made it for the purpose to be funny, at the end of the day, its just not funny. just because that was the purpose of the scene, doesnt mean its correct tho, right?
some people...
Jul 22, 2021 4:13 PM

Sep 2019
hmstr said:
z00nex said:

just so you know, the director isnt perfect, everyone knows that, so even if he made it for the purpose to be funny, at the end of the day, its just not funny. just because that was the purpose of the scene, doesnt mean its correct tho, right?
“not funny” to who? rape obviously isn’t right but that doesn’t really make it any less funny for the people who found it funny, including me
Jul 22, 2021 4:17 PM
Dec 2020
z00nex said:
hmstr said:

“not funny” to who? rape obviously isn’t right but that doesn’t really make it any less funny for the people who found it funny, including me

Whatever, you can laugh at rape with colours and music, enjoy your humour, I dont really care for any of you anyway so, u do u, I've come to terms that some users enjoy strange things. I'll just leave it at that, I've had enough of this forum.

Also I would prefer not getting tagged here, I get the message that I'm in the wrong 100%.
some people...
Jul 22, 2021 5:14 PM

Feb 2019
It's really hard to state how weird the OP sequence is. It's like they took a classic Shaft opening, full of anatomical dummies and vivisections reimagining characters as random dummies combined with other objects, overlaid an LSD filter to it, and then cranked the drugs to 11. Also, they included the gratuitous rape scene, now set to opera with theatrical flailing instead of overt fetishizing and sexualization, so… not exactly the best way to end an episode! There's quite a bit of light censoring in general using the artistic style, which is weird because it also likes to stab people in the guts for comical effect and everybody coughs up a gallon of pudding every time they're hit.

It is unfortunately, still quite "Jump". The artistic direction does an admiral job picking up the slack, but it's better in the interstitial bits, like the girl fairy-walking through an army undetected rather than the punchy bits. Not so much overreactions and yelling, thankfully. The protagonists especially are thankfully far more on the chill side. The antagonist, though… He needed to explain what a self-destruct was while also pressing a button marked "self-destruct." Yeah, I think we got it, guys. Still nowhere near as egregious as, say, Vanitas, but that character could have had literally zero lines the entire episode and it would have done nothing but improve every aspect of it.
Jul 22, 2021 5:20 PM

May 2021
Banger of an episode, the fantasy settings, stylistic choices and characters are on point. The action motion and the last scene was glorious

Jul 22, 2021 5:43 PM

Nov 2011
I didn't realize it's going to be a dark anime. Like it was great until the ending. Which was very unexpected. Still a decent episode overall though.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 22, 2021 5:54 PM
Apr 2016
dkdumpling said:
hmstr said:

fr thats what i said too

I don't remember a single woman he raped there being innocent
Jul 22, 2021 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
animation is not one of the best as I imagined but it was cool for a show like this, I'm expecting more from the happenings the characters are also interesting and are strong.
Jul 22, 2021 6:32 PM
May 2011
The rape was not supposed to be funny it was supposed to be disturbing. It makes more sense if it had been placed with episodes 2 were the themes are being talked about.
Jul 22, 2021 6:56 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I honestly really loved this, went in expecting nothing, and got gold. The plot seems interesting, I like the characters we have so far, and I haven’t seen many people mention it but I personally got Kill la Kill vibes from the slight “over the top” nature this has, great stuff. And of course I can’t forget to mention the visuals, the colors are beautiful and the animation is great.

As for the talk of the town, being the rape scene at the end, and the fact that it was even toned down, it did not hurt the show for me at all, sure it wasn’t pleasant, but not near enough to make me dislike this show. I’m 100% onboard with it. Forgot to mention both the OP and ED were instant bangers.
Jul 22, 2021 7:49 PM
Jul 2018
puruprendo said:
I have a pretty dark sense of humor and that wasn't funny at all
Jul 22, 2021 8:57 PM

Aug 2019
due to another thread I expected the rape scene to be something intense, legit just silhouettes with no audio for 95% of it; well guess everyone has different gauges for how much stuff they can handle in fiction
Jul 22, 2021 8:59 PM
May 2011
mrgung said:
puruprendo said:
I have a pretty dark sense of humor and that wasn't funny at all

And you would be right it's not supposed to be.
Jul 22, 2021 9:03 PM

Aug 2013
This is exactly the kind of clusterfuck shit that I need in my life, I'm in.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 22, 2021 9:19 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The show looks already fun with the straight battle to hyping up the whole situations. Shounen battle already, i like it. The oped also quite nice, typically sasuga mappa that's give an all out effort to create that things out greatly. The art style might be a little different than i thought before. However, its still nice considering the whole things kinda be fucked up more in the future. Even though i feel like this is too soon to judge the overarching story and others aspect about it.

So this kind of style might be better to give such an artistic approaching matter. The end part quite feels wrong honestly, almost caught off my guard. But then again, the choice of the art style proved me that they might've think to compress the gory and dark aspect of the story to be more artistic than it should be. Idk the manga art, will be like this or different. But, as i care over any summer season show (minus some sequel that i didn't get a chance to watch because reason), this is truly intriguing me to watch until its finished.

That's all and lets see the second one.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 22, 2021 9:25 PM
Aug 2019
frrs said:
The rape was not supposed to be funny it was supposed to be disturbing. It makes more sense if it had been placed with episodes 2 were the themes are being talked about.

This! Don't know why some people say it was supposed to be funny. It was disturbing, it left a really bad taste and a knot in my thraot, but that was the point. Clearly the message was that humanity is rotten and people with power can do whatever the f*ck they want, and this "Gods" will do shit.
That's a pretty powerful statement if you ask me, because it's very relatable with our actual society.

That wasn't funny, that was horrible, and that was the point. Not glorifiying rape, but showing that humanity can get as rotten as possible given the circumstances.

Also, Redo of the Healer was a shitshow. That was glorification of rape
Jul 22, 2021 9:45 PM
Jul 2021
I feel like it's meh. It might of been peaceful but training for that long and still acting like morons with no common sense. I just don't get it.

You think they would be on the up and up on everything. Had information circles established etc( not even to help people but to collect info for themselves about the world, plus if they basically immortal and lived long they could of used people as info and they passed away). Especially after 800 years for rin. 80 years for hayato but he still acts like he is 10. Like that makes no sense. Training, seeing the world, how the humans interacted and how they operated should of opened his eyes long ago. I'm sure they caused their own natural atrocities.

They also have no intellect, you would think after that long even the actual smart one would realize other things about the world , since he was nonstop studying the world for long as well. But he acts equally as dumb as hayato just with a hint of common sense.
You would think if keeping the seal safe would afford to use EVERY possible information no matter where it came from. like for example where that demon was sealed. They would know plans of all the Shiz ahead atime. I think 800 yrs was well enough to establish that

Plus the rape was unecceasary it didn't even put anything into context, it was just for shock value

The art is decent. But decent art doesn't justify crappy non-sensical story.
HanSoloCuppJul 22, 2021 10:15 PM
Jul 22, 2021 9:56 PM

Aug 2018
Very good
I liked the first chapter. It's interesting and the animation is great. And the opening and ending are very good.
Jul 22, 2021 10:02 PM
Nov 2019
i can't believe people love this shit there's even people calling this the best anime of summer 2021 wtf...like just wtf how much of a garbage opinion you gotta have to think that. this is ass.
Jul 22, 2021 10:08 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
The art style is unique and it's definitely a surprise for the season. Well done mappa

That animation was super clean and visually pleasing to look at which is awesome. The last scene was a little weird but I thought the content before it was pretty good.

My favorite part of the series would have be either the opening or animation though

Jul 22, 2021 11:09 PM
Jan 2017
Interesting first episode, art style and animation was pretty good and the rape scene was disturbing than funny cos it was out of nowhere, and the only way to make sense of it is when Ysley mentioned how the Zobla Empire is already fucked as it is environmentally so humans are fucked up as well and how God isn't gonna save you in an instant just because you pray to him. But in this world Gods do exist so if a god was close by the nun could've been saved and this is coming from the creator of Interspecies Reviewers so there's gonna be more messed up stuff going on since this has themes of war in it so sexual violence might be portrayed even more than Interspecies Reviewers which was just about the sex world.
Jul 23, 2021 1:46 AM
Nov 2020
Interesting art style, kinda cool. At first, I was wondering about the seinen tag since it felt like a shonen and then my doubts were thrown out the window when we see that one guy's head smashed off, the glasses kid getting impaled, that other girl with them showing off the pantsu in the wind, and the nun scene at the end.

(Btw, what is the Wehrmacht doing in an anime like this? lmao)
Jul 23, 2021 1:52 AM

Apr 2009
puruprendo said:

Everything is an opinion. Your whole message is one too. Ironic.
Jul 23, 2021 2:04 AM
Nov 2020
Just skimmed over the rest of this discussion thread and didn't realize how controversial that rape scene was at the end. (It reminds me of the mass dropouts of Goblin Slayer after the first episode when the fighter girl gets "defeated" by the goblins.)

Anyways, that scene to me was simply a scene. I don't think it was meant to be "funny" in a dark comedy way. (I agree with the other person who pointed out that the manga was more graphic in that depiction, but even then it's pretty tame when compared to the average hentai manga standards ...but I digress).

The takeaway from that scene (for me at least) was to showcase the savage and brutal nature of those soldiers so the viewers (us) know that they're the enemy/antagonist of the story who will most likely get karmic justice in the end. (And of course, the shock value was higher because the victim was a devout nun of the church).
Jul 23, 2021 2:08 AM

May 2021
kuwangpa said:
Just skimmed over the rest of this discussion thread and didn't realize how controversial that rape scene was at the end. (It reminds me of the mass dropouts of Goblin Slayer after the first episode when the fighter girl gets "defeated" by the goblins.)

Anyways, that scene to me was simply a scene. I don't think it was meant to be "funny" in a dark comedy way. (I agree with the other person who pointed out that the manga was more graphic in that depiction, but even then it's pretty tame when compared to the average hentai manga standards ...but I digress).

The takeaway from that scene (for me at least) was to showcase the savage and brutal nature of those soldiers so the viewers (us) know that they're the enemy/antagonist of the story who will most likely get karmic justice in the end. (And of course, the shock value was higher because the victim was a devout nun of the church).

The usage of a nun wasnt just for the shock value. To not spoil you the second episode, what you can tell from this episode is that even though that god exists and are capable of helping the humans, they don't help their worshippers. One could have expected throughout the start of the scene that some god would appear, and it plays with that expectation

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 22, 2021

72 by Rei_Hellsing »»
Oct 12, 6:11 PM

» How to make an application for season 02

lotus_eater - May 19

7 by SlayerGoury »»
Aug 31, 6:49 PM

» For those wanting to know where to continue on the manga.

thewiru - Aug 17

3 by WaifuCognoscente »»
Aug 17, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Sep 27, 2021

163 by Remlz_77 »»
Aug 6, 2:05 AM

Poll: » Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Sep 20, 2021

69 by Karva1 »»
May 25, 1:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.