Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 17, 2021 1:39 AM

Jun 2019
I like Shiki's character a lot. She's honest and cute at the same time. Also, Neku was being nice to her in this episode. That was a relief.
Oh, and what a plot twist at the end there. That makes things really interesting. Will have to look, how they're going to progress the story.
Apr 17, 2021 4:33 AM

Jul 2017
Pre_Yum said:
I like Shiki's character a lot. She's honest and cute at the same time. Also, Neku was being nice to her in this episode. That was a relief.
Oh, and what a plot twist at the end there. That makes things really interesting. Will have to look, how they're going to progress the story.

I love Shiki's character too. I think that everything about her as a character makes sense and fits perfectly (her hobbies, her struggles, her personality...), she's just a great character even though it's nothing we haven't seen before.
Apr 17, 2021 3:59 PM

Apr 2012
Oh how I wish they had gone for the double cour to have time to expand better on the game concepts.

When the announcements for this first dropped, I was so hoping they would use the opportunity to design more characters and explore the competitive nature of the Reaper's Game.

It's still fun, though.
Apr 17, 2021 5:24 PM

Sep 2011
I am positive the only people who will enjoy this are forgiving fans, I sincerely cannot figure out why someone not already a fan of the original would be sticking around or finding any enjoyment in this. It very much seems to have failed pretty badly on that front judging from a quick look at stats. 8% of its members have already dropped the series after ep 1 which seems to be one of the highest drop rates relative to how many members of the whole season, in addition to just being one of the lowest rated. From quickly glancing it seems like only that dragon show and that soccer anime have a higher drop rate though quite a few have lower scores and lower members.

As for the ep itself, significant improvement but still kind of falls short of where it needs to be to really be called a good adaptation. The emotional stuff this episode had alot of impact for me but then I had to take a big step back and realize that's cause ive already played the games and have this emotional attachment to the characters. In context of this adaptation this shit is so half baked cause Neku and Shiki have barely interacted by this point and their relationship has no contrast to how it starts versus it improving which is a absolute shame cause I think their relationship is adorable.

Still actual episode was alot of fun on its own, Shiki's character was absolutely lacked the build up with her phone and general depressed look she had at times with her bubbly personality clearly being a cover, but I still like her alot and I thought the delivery of some of it was dare I say better than the game from purely a delivery standpoint even if the lack of groundwork kind of ruins things

TG-Golem said:
This episode was fantastic. I dont see what all the bad fuss is about? Why is the score so low? This is hardly a bad adaptation.
The score is so low cause the series really just didnt capture an audience with that pretty bad first episode, I'd bet you if this didnt have alot of passionate fans the series would be dipping below a 6.00 right about now. We'll see where it goes from here I guess, if it keeps the quality of this episode I can see it at least getting to like a high 6.90 or something once its over.

Remember the source is a critically acclaimed and super fondly remembered game, but the story of it was only a part of that critical acclaim and could be argued is greater than the sum of its parts, there isnt a game like TWEWY (on ds) but when taking only the plot itself and placing it in a generally pretty flawed adaptation its no longer this absurdly unique property, its now a fairly common subgenre (death game) that has a ton of contemporaries people are gonna compare it to and it needed an adaptation that knew how to transition it to anime form to actually compete with its contemporaries.

FateHero said:
Oh how I wish they had gone for the double cour to have time to expand better on the game concepts.

When the announcements for this first dropped, I was so hoping they would use the opportunity to design more characters and explore the competitive nature of the Reaper's Game.

It's still fun, though.
I was hoping it'd entail more character interaction through banter over the city's denizens, instead I got the absolute bare minimum they could do to advance the plot
JizzyHitlerApr 17, 2021 6:03 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 17, 2021 11:45 PM
Dec 2018
Much better pacing than the first episode.
Shiki is the spotlight of this week. So all of the players participating are already dead so what happen if they also died in the game or maybe its only Shiki.
Anyways, I think I'm going to stick with this until the end
Apr 18, 2021 2:41 AM

Aug 2016
I think they're gonna use some OST from the game to cover all episodes instead of creating a new opening song. The opening sequence is similar to the one used for the game but it's good animated, can't stop singing the ending song and I love the illustrations!!
[ to win, sometimes
you have to know
how to lose. ]

• Anilist •
• Tumblr •
• Instagram •
• Twitter •

Apr 18, 2021 4:35 AM

Mar 2020
I'm either immune to disappointment or am just making the most of this show because I thought this episode was better. It's still quite shaky, but I enjoyed some of the moments where it tried to stand on its own. I doubt I'd be all that invested in how Shiki's character arc was handled here if I hadn't already played the game, but I digress.

What was even more interesting was the stuff they removed. I don't understand why they decided to replace the Tin Pin tickets with ones for 777, since it wasn't like Tin Pin Slammer would have occupied much screen time to begin with. It was also a shame to see that the Reaper Creeper scene between those two schoolgirls got removed. I thought it was pretty entertaining in the game, but I suppose it wouldn't make much sense for Neku to be standing around moving coins while they were under attack by all that noise.

I've started replaying TWEWY and I figured I may as well chronicle my experience for my own amusement. I'm currently level 23 and am at the start of day 7. I'd completely forgotten how boring and drawn out the day 6 mission was, especially since Higashizawa didn't even say anything that bad to Shiki. I can't say I blame the Neku of this twewyline for just opting to have Joshua solve everything.
Apr 18, 2021 5:00 AM

Apr 2018
MC is too cringe for my taste.
Apr 18, 2021 5:37 AM
Apr 2019
Okay episode. Again, quite obviously rushed even if you haven’t played the game. Ah well. I’ll need to try out the game some time. So, Shiki wants to be a fashion designer, huh? She definitely has skill. Wasn’t expecting the drama this episode 3/5
Also, it seems Kuvshinov Ilya worked on the ED. Recognized his style immediately
Apr 18, 2021 2:45 PM
Apr 2008
I'm quite liking it so far.
I honestly really like the visuals & animation. They really managed to capture the games aesthetic. I love the OST.

Everyhthing seems great other than that it's quite rushed sadly.

I feel like this is made just for the fans of the game rather than attracting new people to sell the switch port & sequel.
Apr 18, 2021 3:33 PM

Mar 2018
Some of the anime onlies are forcing neku into a mold and ignoring his subtleties. 😐

Nearly everything about this adaptation is half as good as the original game. The visual style is great though.
Apr 18, 2021 6:47 PM

Sep 2011
Josuke99 said:
Some of the anime onlies are forcing neku into a mold and ignoring his subtleties. 😐
probably cause there isnt any subtleties to him in this adaption, hes not just generic but they already rushed past his first major step of development so there isnt impact.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 18, 2021 7:07 PM

Jun 2019
Certainly better than the first episode. We finally learned some more about Shiki and what the game actually is, however so much still needs to be explained about the game, characters, and power system. This feels like it is more for the fans than for people that are not familiar with it, which is fine, but it will affect whether I keep watching.
Apr 18, 2021 9:25 PM

Sep 2011
Blue_Maroon said:
Certainly better than the first episode. We finally learned some more about Shiki and what the game actually is, however so much still needs to be explained about the game, characters, and power system. This feels like it is more for the fans than for people that are not familiar with it, which is fine, but it will affect whether I keep watching.
Power system yeah don't expect anything, its literally just like fire or being able to slash.

As for the reaper game you are supposed to be this out of the loop and its gonna start explaining alot probably in the next ep or 2

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Apr 19, 2021 1:14 AM
Jul 2011
JizzyHitler said:
Josuke99 said:
probably cause there isnt any subtleties to him in this adaption, hes not just generic but they already rushed past his first major step of development so there isnt impact.

I'm not too fussed about Neku. In TWEWY he's literally a blank slate character, it's okay if he's boring.

Plus the angry teenager trope is less relevant after 10+ years, better he be too boring than too annoying.

I'm curious to see if the staff steers the show into a different continuity altogether. We haven't had new content in ages and the show's only 12 episodes. I'd be shocked if they DIDN'T take more liberties with the story.
Apr 19, 2021 3:10 AM

Jan 2013
"What were people expecting?"

A good adaption (2D animation, shit explained/not skipped, 24 episodes) which by the desire for 8s and 9s makes this passable.
Apr 19, 2021 9:48 AM

Jul 2020
I wasn't really a fan of the first episode, I had my doubts about whether the show was going to be paced correctly and I'm really not a fan of the 3D CG used in all the action scenes.

Episode 2 has brought me back around, and I'm excited to continue with the series now! Action scenes were fairly scarce this episode so I didn't have "too" much CG to complain about haha, and I liked the character development for Shiki. The twist at the end was a nice touch too.

This is all from the perspective of someone who's always found the games art style and aesthetic really cool but never finished the game, so a lot of the story beats are fresh to me. Looking forward to Episode 3 and beyond now.
Apr 20, 2021 1:22 AM
Dec 2018
I liked how the Anguis noise fired Nexus Ray. As someone who's grinded for collectables and pins in this game, that was a really nice touch

(I bet not many are gonna get this comment)
Apr 20, 2021 8:47 AM

Mar 2012
GoldenDevilGamer said:
glamazon said:

Yeah, the preview made me think of that part as well, but perhaps it could also be about

ooooo nice to know! their art worked really well there
They'll definitely cover the part you're talking about at some point (probably next episode) because this shot was in the trailer:

Assuming that this adaptation doesn't cover A New Day, and since it's confirmed to be 12 episodes...

Apr 20, 2021 3:58 PM
May 2016
Liked the fleshing out of the cast, wasn't fond of some of Neku's edgy dialogue, but he seemed to grow out of it
Apr 25, 2021 12:21 AM

Oct 2017
The OP is out and eh it's not my thing.

We got more info on the anime, so the reapers game is for those who have died and wants to revive. I wonder if all of them can revive or only one. Also wonder why Neku has two badges.
Apr 27, 2021 4:01 AM

Apr 2020
Really nice episode; made me get attached to Shiki. Tbh I almost cried when Shiki found out what her friend thought of her.
May 2, 2021 6:09 PM
May 2020
Kinda late to watching this episode, but man this adaptation's pacing is whack. I can't imagine how confusing this must be to someone who sint familiar with the game.

That new bit at the end of day 5 was cool though - and isn't it just a crazy coincidence how those massive sky lasers just happened to land on the other players and not hit Neku and Shiki
May 2, 2021 6:11 PM
May 2020
MegamiRem said:

We got more info on the anime, so the reapers game is for those who have died and wants to revive. I wonder if all of them can revive or only one. Also wonder why Neku has two badges.

I imagine it'd be much better if they were allowed to use Teenage City Riot like they originally going to
May 2, 2021 6:14 PM
May 2020
Also, why haven't they explained psychs yet? Like, we see the pin symbols flags up whenever Neku uses one, but I don't recall them ever discussing pins or how different psychs are linked to different ones.

Where did Neku even get his current psych pins from
May 2, 2021 6:17 PM
May 2020
WAIT HOLD UP WASN'T
MEANT TO HAPPEN??
Aug 21, 2021 9:44 PM
Dec 2017
MegamiRem said:

Play the original game as there is alot of really great tracks in it.

Aug 23, 2021 12:05 PM

Jul 2015
I kind of wish they took more time to flesh out the story so the twist at the end here would have carried more impact but still interesting to find out what this Reaper game is about.

Sep 24, 2021 9:21 PM

Dec 2013
Neku's attitude towards Shiki is changing quicker than I expected.

The red skull pins are extremely ominous. They are obviously going to come back to it at some point.

Shiki and Eri crying at the end was actually a little emotional to watch. Even if it was rushed.
Sep 24, 2021 10:15 PM
Oct 2019
nah dude. gonna be a no-go for me
Oct 20, 2021 9:05 PM
Dec 2017
HagePotPotato said:
nah dude. gonna be a no-go for me

play the original game

Mar 27, 2022 5:12 AM

Jul 2021
A particular objective for a certain episode would be better and why tf did they remove ALI's OP, this one is meh
Sep 30, 2022 6:32 AM

Dec 2012
Dat 4.
Shiki's dream?
Bito and Raimu appear.
Nyan-tan. Shiki made him.
Shiki wants to be a fashion designer.
Eri?
Oji Eiji.
Dat message.
Makoto.

Once again, I'd like to thank the folks from last year for downloading ALI's song then inserting it into the OP theme then adding their credits during the chorus. I literally watch that first before continuing with the song in the show. If anyone was following the news when it happened knows why Teenage City Riot fits better than Twister. As for the OP song, I prefer the original version of Twister. The ED song is so good and the artwork in the ED is fire. Uzuki looks nice and Konishi looks beautiful. Eri's body was already fine from the start. With that said... I really don't like people like Ai that have that mentality that assume the worse in their best friend thinking they were trying to get with the guy they like then when they learn its a misunderstanding they're quick to say please forgive me but that's just how the world works. That for me would have ruined the friendship. Seen too much of that to be a sheep and follow the norm.
RobSep 30, 2022 6:38 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » CALLING

removed-user - Jul 3, 2020

22 by Rage_Beat06 »»
May 15, 11:11 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2021

59 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 28, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

29 by Shiki_mew »»
Jun 12, 2023 3:00 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

34 by Shiki_mew »»
Jun 12, 2023 2:59 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

156 by Hayley2877 »»
Oct 28, 2022 1:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.