Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 6, 2021 5:07 PM

Nov 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aww, Kinemon and Tsuru are a cute couple. He really did his best out there.

Tho Chaden was a different kind of badass. Loved it how he left the capital after he took care of the mountain god, said a lot about his character. Fun episode again, it's been a while since the anime had such a nice vibe.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 6, 2021 6:02 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
That scene where Oden kills the boar... wow..... I'm so glad Toei stepped it up for that moment.

Honestly, I think toei did an amazing job this episode even outside of that singular scene. Kinemon and Tsuru were adorable too and I loved this episode

Feb 6, 2021 6:31 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was very good. Looking forward to the next episode. This is where things are about to get really crazy good for Oden himself. X3
Feb 6, 2021 6:36 PM
May 2020
im a manga reader , and this episode covered a lot though

The quality , the Animation , the pace in this episode seems super quick (i mean they didnt stare at each other or walking for 5 minutes straight like usual)

i think Toei are going all out rn

Again ,the animation are Freaking smooth

as a manga reader myself , i gave this episode 5/5
One Piece is bad, really
Feb 6, 2021 6:46 PM

Jul 2007
Just a heads up for all anime only viewers. Don't watch the next preview of this week's episode, because it spoils something pretty big in next week's. Most of these reveals should come when you first experience them in the story like we did in the manga. That is all. With that, enjoy the Fascinating Tale of Kozuki Oden and his adventures.

Feb 6, 2021 6:52 PM

Feb 2021
Oden reminds me of Luffy since they both do whatever they like
Feb 6, 2021 6:54 PM
Jul 2018
ooh this episode was real nice, toei really did an amazing job on the boar scene. that animation and sfx was beautiful and badass af.
Feb 6, 2021 7:13 PM

Jan 2008
Herosyah04 said:

The quality , the Animation , the pace in this episode seems super quick (i mean they didnt stare at each other or walking for 5 minutes straight like usual)

As a manga reader, I agree with everything.

Considering how much Toei was padding all the previous episodes and arcs, I thought for sure they were going to give us anime canon episodes. Nothing so far, that I can tell. I'm actually shocked, but yeah, this is faster paced then I ever expected.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Feb 6, 2021 7:19 PM

Oct 2017
Kozuki Oden the legend, that paradise waterfall attack was great. Also Ashura Douji vs Oden next episode, that's more hype!
Feb 6, 2021 7:29 PM

Jul 2016
kevin_video said:
Herosyah04 said:

As a manga reader, I agree with everything.

Considering how much Toei was padding all the previous episodes and arcs, I thought for sure they were going to give us anime canon episodes. Nothing so far, that I can tell. I'm actually shocked, but yeah, this is faster paced then I ever expected.

I was expecting alot of filler in this part of the show. Glad to see they did not go that way.
Feb 6, 2021 7:34 PM

Mar 2020
Ahah, good to see how the Red Scabbards came to be his retainers. Ashura Doji tho lmao, drinking snake blood, that's something else. Oden does remind me of Luffy and Roger because of his freewill!
Feb 6, 2021 7:35 PM

Oct 2009
Dang this was good!!
I can see why everyone loves Oden.
Feb 6, 2021 8:02 PM

Nov 2008
So Oden is being portrayed as something of a cross between Momotaro and Nobunaga.

Feb 6, 2021 9:03 PM

Apr 2020
They actually showed the boar being cut in half. The commentary was hilarious though XD

We got to see the recruitment of great many Red Scabbards, more four to come next episode.
Also Whitebeard too! Nice pacing now.
--AbiSa--
Feb 6, 2021 9:05 PM

Apr 2020
dbaranyi said:
So Oden is being portrayed as something of a cross between Momotaro and Nobunaga.

Who is Nobunaga? The historical figure or is it a character's name? I do not remember
--AbiSa--
Feb 6, 2021 9:30 PM
Jun 2015
As a manga reader I dont mind if there's filler for Oden. Hes a great character who should get as much screen time as he can
Feb 6, 2021 9:34 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
shane_nichols said:
As a manga reader I dont mind if there's filler for Oden. Hes a great character who should get as much screen time as he can

Honestly, I agree. As long as the filler is the really good kind and adds to our experience, I could actually see my appreciation for the flashback rise a little.

Feb 6, 2021 9:54 PM

Jan 2017
This episode was beautiful, and I was kinda surprised to see the pacing for the flashback, I actually was expecting some non-canon interactions with Chaden and the Retainers, but this works too.
Best flashback till now, though I still love the Noland-Kalgara story more!!
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Feb 6, 2021 10:17 PM

Jan 2021
MegamiRem said:
Kozuki Oden the legend, that paradise waterfall attack was great. Also Ashura Douji vs Oden next episode, that's more hype!

IKR! The paradise waterfall attack was similar (but not same) to that of Zoro's "Toro Samon" which he uses against Hawkins. Don't you think Zoro's family tree may have a strong link to Wano island?!
Feb 6, 2021 10:23 PM

Jan 2021
PirateHasan said:
This episode was beautiful, and I was kinda surprised to see the pacing for the flashback, I actually was expecting some non-canon interactions with Chaden and the Retainers, but this works too.

It was a great episode wasn't it? Wdym "Chaden"?

Feels like they could make a spinoff on Oden and his adventures. XD.
Feb 6, 2021 10:25 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
Zettaheisinium said:
PirateHasan said:

Lol Chaden is a nickname for oden since he's usually regarded as a chad among a good amount of people in the community. I mean, he's of the coolest characters so it's a deserved title.

Chad + Oden = Chaden

Feb 6, 2021 10:43 PM

Jan 2021
Amazing episode! There is more to it then just what meets the eye. The manga readers must know.

Oden's nitoryu (2 sword style) is amazing couldn't get enough of it. Kakkoi ne! It is somewhat similar to Zoro's nitoryu Tora Samon although it is a nigiri attack (A stance where two swords are held parallel so that the tips are pointing to his right or left side) while Oden's paradise waterfall is not a Nigiri attack.

Kin-chan and Otsuru: awwww.

This scene: Oda is a genius!

Orochi is fated to be a lickspittle and a cheat where ever he is. Ungrateful lying piece of Shizz.

Damn why isn't anyone talking about the new commercial bump! (the scene they show half way through the anime). It is so catchy!

Kozuki Oden is such an adventures person, what a personality! "The tales of Oden Kozuki and his retainers" sounds like a good spinoff isn't it?!

Can't wait for the next episode! Wano arc may turn out to the best one if not already!
Feb 6, 2021 10:46 PM

Jan 2021
ManWild said:
Zettaheisinium said:

Lol Chaden is a nickname for oden since he's usually regarded as a chad among a good amount of people in the community. I mean, he's of the coolest characters so it's a deserved title.

Chad + Oden = Chaden

Ohhhhhhhhh. Thannks for the clarification. I was totally lost XD. I googled it to no avail so I asked directly. Talk about a newb XD.
Feb 6, 2021 11:52 PM

Jan 2017
Zettaheisinium said:
ManWild said:

Chad + Oden = Chaden

Ohhhhhhhhh. Thannks for the clarification. I was totally lost XD. I googled it to no avail so I asked directly. Talk about a newb XD.

Hehe, I myself discovered this word from watching the One Piece YouTube reactors!
Oden is literally the epitome of manliness, absolute legend.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Feb 7, 2021 12:16 AM

Apr 2017
Oden is the biggest chad in One Piece.
cunnysseur
Feb 7, 2021 12:20 AM

Sep 2019
Oden was so fucking cool when he cut the boar in half.
Feb 7, 2021 1:31 AM

Jul 2015
Really interesting and strange to see everyone in their younger years from Orochi being a stealing servant, the priest Holdem (I guess its him), kid Okiku with his brother Izo, the ghoul Kanjuro, 'bandit' Raizo and of course the annoyed Oden who is too damn cool.

Feb 7, 2021 2:49 AM

Mar 2016
Oden's journey has begun! After he sliced up that mountain god AKA giant hog in an epic fashion and then getting his father's message, he has finally embarked on a tour around Wano.
We got Kinemon, Denjiro, Kiku and Izo, Kanjuro, Raizo all following Oden mainly because of how awesome he really is. I like how all the other citizens share the same view of Oden, while he may be a troublemaker, you can't help but feel the sheer badassery for this absolute chad of a man! VOTE FOR CHADEN!

Kinemon's and Tsuru's relationship are so cute, the bits of flashback showing them being together is greatly heartwarming, the VA for the younger version of Tsuru really nails her overall character. Their brief backstory also expands on how kind and loyal she is, to even paid off what Kinemon has stolen. It's no surprise how she has spent the last 20 years just waiting for his husband's return.

On a negative note, even as a servant Orochi is a liar and a thief. Cheh...
Feb 7, 2021 3:03 AM

Jul 2007
Aozure said:
Dang this was good!!

whoa hold your horses lol. There is still lots to come.
PirateHasan said:

The Noland Kalgara story is great, but slow your role just a bit. You have just barely begun. Wait to make your comparison after you see the full story.
ArtimesGamerFeb 7, 2021 3:10 AM

Feb 7, 2021 3:29 AM

Dec 2013
Oden slashing the giant boar looked incredible!

It's so much fun seeing all of these characters when they were younger. Orochi being a former servant is surprising considering his current position.
Feb 7, 2021 4:11 AM
May 2020
Lakas talaga ni Oden 😍
Feb 7, 2021 7:50 AM
May 2020
link9us said:
Aozure said:
Dang this was good!!

whoa hold your horses lol. There is still lots to come.
PirateHasan said:

The Noland Kalgara story is great, but slow your role just a bit. You have just barely begun. Wait to make your comparison after you see the full story.
true , i mean both of you arent wrong though

cuz Oden's Flashback (im not even over exaggerating) is the best Flashback in One Piece so far
One Piece is bad, really
Feb 7, 2021 8:07 AM
Feb 2021
One Piece Episode 961 English Sub | One Piece Episode 961 English Subbed
https://youtu.be/zqRHcO1onLU
Feb 7, 2021 8:07 AM

Jun 2020
Another good episode 5/5,toei did a good job animating the boar fight.
But it's so sad that the young boar will be lonely now 😔.
Feb 7, 2021 8:23 AM

Sep 2010
Really loving this Oden flashback. I can see why manga readers like him so much now. It's cool to see how he picked up his retainers along his journey. Looking forward next week to seeing Whitebeard again!
Feb 7, 2021 9:04 AM
Feb 2021
Fucking loved it as a manga reader I could say this ep was a 10/10
Feb 7, 2021 10:58 AM

Nov 2008
AbiSa said:
dbaranyi said:

Who is Nobunaga? The historical figure or is it a character's name? I do not remember

Historical figure - Oda Nobunaga. Almost unified Japan in the 16th century. Known for his wild life as a youth and his change into a major leader after his father's death.
Feb 7, 2021 1:22 PM

Jul 2008
Oden is an absolute badass.
Feb 7, 2021 2:47 PM
Apr 2017
Kin'emon and Tsuru really are meant to be together.
Feb 7, 2021 3:25 PM

Jul 2007
dbaranyi said:
AbiSa said:

Historical figure - Oda Nobunaga. Almost unified Japan in the 16th century. Known for his wild life as a youth and his change into a major leader after his father's death.

How can people not know who Oda Nobunaga is, he is only one of the most popular historical figures in japan history that has been referenced and used in literature time and time again including manga and anime. I am sure with One piece; this will become a major importance since many events in the wano story arc are clearly referenced from that time period. Oda Nobunaga which as many people probably know he is considered not only the Major Damnyou of the Sengoku period of japan but also the man that was considered the great unifier of japan. With his retainers he incited war during the one of the most infamous conflicts in japan history, the battle of Sekigara in the 1600's where he eventually died. The ODEN character was modeled after a man named Ishikawa Goemon after his failed assassination attempt against one of the retainers of nobunaga failed Toyotomi Hideyoshi. However, I do not want to say to much more then that because if you look to deep into this history you actually may spoil some of the upcoming story developments with ODEN because the wano story arc is heavily referenced from this time period in japan history and not only with oden but many more larger interesting developments in the OP story could become a reality. I personally have some predictions my self but don't want to mention them here until after you have seen the full story of wano.

Feb 7, 2021 3:40 PM

Nov 2008
link9us said:
dbaranyi said:

How can people not know who Oda Nobunaga is, he is only one of the most popular historical figures in japan history that has been referenced and used in literature time and time again including manga and anime. I am sure with One piece; this will become a major importance since many events in the wano story arc are clearly referenced from that time period. Oda Nobunaga which as many people probably know he is considered not only the Major Damnyou of the Sengoku period of japan but also the man that was considered the great unifier of japan. With his retainers he incited war during the one of the most infamous conflicts in japan history, the battle of Sekigara in the 1600's where he eventually died. The ODEN character was modeled after a man named Ishikawa Goemon after his failed assassination attempt against one of the retainers of nobunaga failed Toyotomi Hideyoshi. However, I do not want to say to much more then that because if you look to deep into this history you actually may spoil some of the upcoming story developments with ODEN because the wano story arc is heavily referenced from this time period in japan history and not only with oden but many more larger interesting developments in the OP story could become a reality. I personally have some predictions my self but don't want to mention them here until after you have seen the full story of wano.

Nobunaga died in 1582.
Feb 7, 2021 4:33 PM

Jul 2007
dbaranyi said:
link9us said:

Nobunaga died in 1582.

Yeah I kind of worded a bit incorrectly, he originally started the unfication of Japan and incited the war against the Tokogua shogunate. After his death in 1582 by the hands of his retainer Akechi Mitsuhide who betrayed him and is known as the assinator of Oda Nobunoga. ODa's sucessor Toyotomi Hideyoshi took control as the leading Danmyou after oda's death and was involved in the great battle of Sekigara which was started by Oda Nobunaga. In any case much of this history is reference into one piece so if you do your digging enough, you might be able to find some ties to the one piece story.

Feb 7, 2021 5:49 PM

Jul 2013
Kudos to Kinemon. Fighting this giant mountain god was very brave. I'm still shocked how strong Oden is for his age. The scene where he sliced that mountain god in half looked so amazing. As a true man who wouldn't admire this guy after such a move.

Oden also doesn't really care about anything. "Oh I got expelled by my father? Okay let's go leave and see where I go". He's as carefree as Luffy often times. I had to laugh about that part where the capital moved forward because all the other men were retraining themself following Oden :D

I didn't expect Orochi at Yasuies place. So this is where he started from. What a serpent. You could see Yasuie didn't believe him at all about the stolen money.

Interesting to see how gathered all his followers even if it was against his will and seemingly pretty annoying for him lol.

I'm so excited for the next episode. I wonder what they did with

Feb 8, 2021 8:07 AM

May 2014
Zettaheisinium said:

Damn why isn't anyone talking about the new commercial bump! (the scene they show halfway through the anime). It is so catchy!

That's because it was shown last week, so I mentioned in my previous ep. comment.
Feb 8, 2021 8:25 AM

Jan 2021
mangalicker94 said:
Zettaheisinium said:

Damn why isn't anyone talking about the new commercial bump! (the scene they show halfway through the anime). It is so catchy!

That's because it was shown last week, so I mentioned in my previous ep. comment.

Oh loll. Still it's pretty good even after a week. XD.
Feb 8, 2021 8:34 AM

May 2014
Epic how Odin sliced that white boar's (mountain "God") belly open. For a moment there, I thought he would use conquer haki on it and make it cooperate. I am sure he has it too. It would be strange if he doesn't. But I guess it was better this way. It made him look more furious and epic. It's amazing how strong he is at such young age.

Can't get enough of young Tsuru. She looks so God damn cute
Kinemon, you are a lucky man to marry this gorgeous goddess.

Seeing how Orochi acted as a young (brat) servant, looks like he hasn't changed at all. Sneaky from his young age. One should be wise and look out for such sneaky bastards. I bet it was him who stole the money, and no wonder Yasuie was suspicious. Now it makes me even more curious how he was able to plan to assassinate Oden-san. I wouldn't be surprised if he and his companion, Kaido, threaten to assassinate his people. Well, time will eventually tell.

On another note, Yasuie looks quite handsome with that scary face of his. Even though we have seen him before, he has an epic entrance here

Back to Oden, I love his scary annoying face
. That's a good troll face. I hope someone can invert his mouth and eyes up toward his upper eyelids. Now that would be hilarious.

I can't wait to see young Whitebeard and the rest of the Akazaya nine at their young age.
Feb 8, 2021 9:17 AM

Sep 2019
I'm liking Oden a lot so far.
Feb 8, 2021 12:22 PM

Aug 2018
Damn Toei is back again with quality animation and great directing, both will definitely be needed in the upcoming episodes
Feb 9, 2021 4:16 AM

Mar 2015
The scene where Oden slices the boar in two was so awesome, I still have the goosebumps!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 10, 2021 3:35 AM

Apr 2013
Woah, the Whitebeard pirates will appear next episode? That's dope.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Copper lokes like stuff toy

Hickykissy - Yesterday

11 by Kenpachi_Arun »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 204 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 4, 2010

28 by Titanfan93 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 595 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Wind_Sr - May 11, 2013

76 by TheAquilaSamurai »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Nov 29, 2009

55 by Chfenj_ »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1116 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 17

48 by Jerry0320 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.