Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2021 11:36 AM
Sep 2008
_redzx_ said:
I dont get the earlier part of Otto's flashback. He was just sitting there then all of a sudden his parents look uneasy. Then there's that doctor that shook (?) his head like they failed a surgery and Otto didnt make it. What was wrong with Otto?
And then the letter he wrote... I wanna know what he said in it that made the whole family in tears.

I'm guessing it was really hard for him to focus and hear his family due to the cacophony from his gift which is why he didn't really react to what they were saying. Then when he was asked in writing what was going on, he could finally answer.
Jan 13, 2021 11:38 AM
Nov 2018
Michalekel said:
one person already hated episode.

Any mad Rem fans ? ;)

I'm a Rem fan and loved the episode lol, just because we favor one character doesn't mean we hate the show.
Jan 13, 2021 11:39 AM
Mar 2011
I wasn't impressed by the kiss. For me it doesn't really matter. Also Subaru does not look genuine, as if it doesn't really matter to him. Would have been better if the whole scene happened offscreen with a 10 second flashback later if the plot really needs it. I was more interested in what Otto was doing.
Jan 13, 2021 11:48 AM
Sep 2008
Given that this is 100% the cycle where both main issues will be solved, I hope there is a drawback at the end, like there's still some screw up.
Jan 13, 2021 11:53 AM
Sep 2020
this was the wackest and cringiest ep i have seen in a while
Jan 13, 2021 11:59 AM

Nov 2011
Damn there it is the Kiss.

Very Nice

I also enjoyed how Subaru said "It's a quote from the woman I respect the most" I actually like how we have an Isekai character who doesn't hate EVERYTHING about their previous life.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 13, 2021 12:00 PM

Sep 2017
I cri...

Yes, I am #TeamRem.
Jan 13, 2021 12:04 PM

Jul 2017
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
AMAZING, FINALLY, THEY FINALLY DID IT, GREAT JOB SUBARU

I CAN'T STOP REPEATING THIS SCENE. THE OST MADE IT EVEN BETTER.

Really liked how they have this conversation, well done from Subaru successfully convincing Emilia, she needs to realized she is not no-useful at all. Sheis EMT afterall.

Best episode.
AikotobaJan 13, 2021 12:17 PM
Jan 13, 2021 12:04 PM

Apr 2020
Been waiting for that kiss for ages lol
Great episode overall
Jan 13, 2021 12:06 PM

Jul 2019
While i think the otto backstory dump could've been done a little better i overall really liked the ep, re zero is going strong for me at a 9/10.
can't wait for the next ep
Jan 13, 2021 12:09 PM

Mar 2019
This episode is the embodiment of the major problem i've had with Re:Zero from s2 onwards, and that's the consistency of the episodes.
Within a single episode, you can have a scene that's (to me) a bottom tier moment, I don't care about it, i'm not invested, and i'd rather watch something else. For this episode, it was the first half with Otto and Garfiel. On the other hand, you have, within the same episode, an 11/10 scene, here between Emilia and Subaru.

I want to like Re:Zero, but it keeps throwing these kinds of episodes where there's a big chunk that's uninteresting, and then hits you with a 10/10 scene, then back to boring stuff. Same trend in last week's episode, with Emilia and Subaru taking the spotlight again.

This is why it's tough for me to rate this show, and I hope they stop this kind of production later on down the line, as it's kinda annoying.
Jan 13, 2021 12:09 PM

Jun 2014
Otto actually had some pretty cool moments in this episode, obviously he wasn't going to beat Garfiel but it was nice to see him do what he could in those circumstances. We even got some insight into his past.

That confession scene though.....man the VAs in this show really do a damn good job. They brought out the emotions of the characters so well and then Subaru and Emilia finally kissed. Great episode this week.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 13, 2021 12:11 PM

Jun 2015
Finally, the simp arc ended.
Jan 13, 2021 12:11 PM

Mar 2018
Best boy gets his time in the spotlight; his backstory is interesting and he looks to have been a good guy (aside from the accidental bug invasion) which makes me like him even more.

MY MC SUBARU!!!!! WOOOO

Emilia and Subaru scene very well done, made my heart warm.
Jan 13, 2021 12:14 PM

Jul 2014
An episode of two very different halves here, the first dedicated to finally giving us some backstory on Otto. Granted, it's some fairly standard "you have to hide your special power because people fear/will exploit it", but it does its job of giving our favourite merchant some more depth to his character (an absolute necessity with all the screentime he's had so far in this arc). The most interesting part of the flashback is that he ended up meeting Betelgeuse during the events of the 3rd arc, and I wish that was expanded on more; even considering everything going on at the time, I doubt that Betelgeuse did nothing more than tie Otto up and abandon him considering the "welcome" he gave Subaru in S1 ep15.

As for the second half of the episode, the argument between Subaru and Emilia is something that's been sorely needed for a long time now, and one that has certainly been coming with how their relationship has developed so far. While the actual argument itself was somewhat circular in places, I think Subaru's half of it was particularly impactful as a reflection of his character arc up to this point: after being called out by Rem in season 1, manipulated by Echidna earlier in this arc and then called out again by Otto last week, Subaru has reached the point where he understands that people can care about someone regardless of their self-perceived flaws and issues. And while I still think he's got some ways to go to be able to fully apply that inwardly, he's making progress in doing so and his attempts to make Emilia understand that her weakness won't change his feelings for her is clear proof of that (the fact that he struggles to convince Emilia and the argument becomes circular reflects the fact that he isn't all the way there just yet).

For Emilia's part, it's excellent that she finally gets to vocalise her "weaknesses" during the argument, as it's the first time she's been able to do so on equal footing with Subaru (compared to their argument in S1 ep13 when Subaru was an absolute mess mentally and didn't really know Emilia well at all). The depth of her doubt about Subaru's feelings to keep the argument going is no real surprise: as Puck said in S1 ep18, promises are hugely important to a spirit arts user like Emilia, so it is no surprise that the stress of Subaru breaking his promise so soon after Puck severed his contract with Emilia is entirely understandable. Then add in all the memories she's regaining, and the understandable fear of changing and drifting away from Subaru and her position is easy to empathise with. I don't think the kiss alone solves all of those issues, but it was a lovely moment regardless and will no doubt serve as an important stepping stone in their relationship going forward.

One thing that did catch my eye during the argument was the difference in Subaru and Emilia's eyes: for the whole scene, Emilia is all that is visible in Subaru's eyes, showing us that he is focused only on her and visually demonstrating the depth of his love for her; by contrast, Emilia's eyes are cloudy and empty throughout the scene, reflecting her inability to trust Subaru and the world as a whole. Only after the kiss do her eyes finally light up, and when they do it's Subaru alone that's reflected in them. A fantastic example of visual storytelling.
Jan 13, 2021 12:15 PM

Jun 2019
So Otto can talk to animals, but it is only a limited power? I don’t see why that would be the case, but maybe it will be explained. Nice to see Subaru and Emilia have a breakthrough in their relationship. That should help with her trial runs and help lessen Garf’s hostility toward Subaru.
Jan 13, 2021 12:17 PM
Dec 2018
KANLen09 said:
AN EXACT 30 MINS? Yeap, this is the longest episode we've ever had since Season 1 Episode 1. They even snuck in Break Time.

It was 27:30 on Crunchyroll. What "break time"? Are they broadcasting additional special content somewhere?

Previous episode was longer at 28 min.
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Jan 13, 2021 12:19 PM
Feb 2017
Hey guys, does anybody know what the deal was with the cat in the Otto flashback scene? Otto picks up a white cat and then a handsome black cat says "meow" and steals her away with Otto becoming mad. Is this supposed to represent something in the flashback? Why was it included? Otto's first girlfriend wasn't a cat, was it?
Jan 13, 2021 12:21 PM
Nov 2020
BRO I LOVE THIS EPISODE SO MUCH
Jan 13, 2021 12:23 PM
Nov 2020
It was okay. The first episode was better. The otto backstory was really good but the 2nd half got me yawning
Jan 13, 2021 12:24 PM

Jul 2016
Blue_Maroon said:
So Otto can talk to animals, but it is only a limited power? I don’t see why that would be the case, but maybe it will be explained.

He just can't handle hearing at so many animals at once. He literally hears all nearby living beings' voices in his head.
Jan 13, 2021 12:28 PM

Feb 2015
This whole episode felt like a total waste of time. Can't wait for this arc to finally be over.
Jan 13, 2021 12:32 PM
Sep 2020
EckhartPilgrim said:
This whole episode felt like a total waste of time. Can't wait for this arc to finally be over.

Then stop watching. Arc 4 is an amazing arc and this episode really built on both Otto and Emilia

Oct 2020
As a Ram fan, I really enjoyed this! I feel she was a little stronger than usual, but otherwise I have no complaints. Rie Takahashi NAILED THE VOICE ACTING!!!
May 2018
Holy shit this episode was T-R-A-S-H

Garfiel's voice is already pissing me off, Emilia is a whiny little bitch that cries in every episode, and Subaru saying "I love you" for 15 minutes was tiresome, cringe, and the dialogue was just overall lazy and trash. The kiss was completely out of place as well, felt forced.

Worst Re:Zero episode ever.

mczprkJan 13, 2021 12:44 PM
Jan 13, 2021 12:33 PM

Dec 2015
Voice acting on this episode was so good, and the insert song by Rie Takahashi almost made me cry
Jan 13, 2021 12:34 PM
Sep 2020
Clubby said:
This episode is the embodiment of the major problem i've had with Re:Zero from s2 onwards, and that's the consistency of the episodes.
Within a single episode, you can have a scene that's (to me) a bottom tier moment, I don't care about it, i'm not invested, and i'd rather watch something else. For this episode, it was the first half with Otto and Garfiel. On the other hand, you have, within the same episode, an 11/10 scene, here between Emilia and Subaru.

I want to like Re:Zero, but it keeps throwing these kinds of episodes where there's a big chunk that's uninteresting, and then hits you with a 10/10 scene, then back to boring stuff. Same trend in last week's episode, with Emilia and Subaru taking the spotlight again.

This is why it's tough for me to rate this show, and I hope they stop this kind of production later on down the line, as it's kinda annoying.

Just stop watching then. I really don’t understand where you’re coming from especially since arc 4 is praised for its massive amounts of character development. If learning about Otto’s past was boring, I don’t really see why you’re even still watching.
Jan 13, 2021 12:36 PM
Sep 2008
LuaVague said:
Voice acting on this episode was so good, and the insert song by Rie Takahashi almost made me cry

Yeah Otto's VA deserves praise
Jan 13, 2021 12:38 PM

Mar 2019
ReturnBD said:
Clubby said:

Just stop watching then. I really don’t understand where you’re coming from especially since arc 4 is praised for its massive amounts of character development. If learning about Otto’s past was boring, I don’t really see why you’re even still watching.

Didn't I literally say that there were 10/10 moments? Where did I say I dislike the series? I don't think that Re:Zero is peak anime, just that it's a decent series, with some inconsistent episodes. I enjoy seeing Emilia and Subaru interact, and I can enjoy some other scenes, but it's annoying to see such spikes in every episode for the past season.
Jan 13, 2021 12:39 PM
Jan 2017
N0cht said:
Hey guys, does anybody know what the deal was with the cat in the Otto flashback scene? Otto picks up a white cat and then a handsome black cat says "meow" and steals her away with Otto becoming mad. Is this supposed to represent something in the flashback? Why was it included? Otto's first girlfriend wasn't a cat, was it?

Yes. The scene with the girl cat was showcasing that Otto's first girlfriend was indeed a cat, because he can talk to animals. That's why he got upset when the black cat was with her.
Jan 13, 2021 12:42 PM

May 2019
HOLY SHIT THIS SCENE MADE ME WAY TOO EXCITED WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME
10/10 EPISODE
Jan 13, 2021 12:44 PM
Nov 2020
Clubby said:

Your personal issues of not liking certain characters is one thing but telling the studio to stop this "kind of production" is just being entitled
Jan 13, 2021 12:45 PM
Nov 2020
Nycro said:
Finally, the simp arc ended.

it ended in S1, where were you?

and if you take the most popular def of that term, he was never one to begin with
Jan 13, 2021 12:48 PM

Jun 2019
QcDiablo said:
Blue_Maroon said:
So Otto can talk to animals, but it is only a limited power? I don’t see why that would be the case, but maybe it will be explained.

He just can't handle hearing at so many animals at once. He literally hears all nearby living beings' voices in his head.

So that means he can turn his hearing on and off? When he felt that shock of pain he said it was because he used his power too much, so I figured it was from him talking to animals too much. Either way it requires more explaining because people in very crowded areas don’t experience that pain from everyone talking at once.
Jan 13, 2021 12:50 PM
May 2020
bro that was something else. to eloquently sum up Otto's past like that while also being able to address Subaru's love for Emilia is actually something of genius.

everything within this episode as an anime only watcher has been done splendidly and I'm thoroughly pleased that I've invested my time into this amazing anime.

finally Subaru and Emilia are acting like a couple with their "arguing" and with Otto he's stepped up to be an incredibly loyal friend ygm
Jan 13, 2021 12:51 PM

Mar 2019
9Vincent9 said:
Clubby said:

Your personal issues of not liking certain characters is one thing but telling the studio to stop this "kind of production" is just being entitled

I worded it poorly because I didn't know how to say it. I didn't mean to say that they should outright stop making the episodes like this, even if I think it would lead to a much better result, what I meant was that this kind of planning for the episodes is annoying, to have to sit through half the episode before it picks up doesn't please me.
It's not like I even said "they should stop this kind of production", I just said that I, personally, didn't like this style, and think it should be changed.
It's not my forum post on MyAnimeList on page 4 of the Re:Zero s2pt2 ep.2 discussion thread that is gonna hurt their feelings, trust me.
Jan 13, 2021 12:59 PM

Mar 2020
The word "Love" was used at least 25 times this episode.

Can't believe this much content was thrown into one episode. Not complaining though cause it was amazing.
Jan 13, 2021 1:06 PM

Jul 2019
go go otto! you can do it otto!

𝘚𝘰, 𝘸𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘭𝘴 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨
Jan 13, 2021 1:06 PM
Apr 2017
mczprk said:

Garfiel's voice is already pissing me off, Emilia is a whiny little bitch that cries in every episode, and Subaru saying "I love you" for 15 minutes was tiresome, cringe, and the dialogue was just overall lazy and trash. The kiss was completely out of place as well, felt forced.

Ah yes remembering that you most likely froze your own people for decades and that your father figure left without explanation are no worth crying.
Jan 13, 2021 1:09 PM

Feb 2014
Damn, this episode was simply superb!

The backstory into Otto was a little sudden, but it was a much deserved explanation into how he grew up and how he was able to use his divine protection powers that was powerful, but it also caused him a lot of grief, as well. Because of that, he became a successful merchant.

He was able to buy enough time for Ram to come along and she really gave Garfiel a good run for his money during their fight. The animation was pretty good for the majority of the time, which helped the fight become even more enjoyable.

However, even this was overshadowed by the excellent second half of the episode, and the intense argument between Subaru and Emilia. I do admire Subaru not backing down and staying true of himself as he declared, over and over, that he loved Emilia.

The next 30 seconds after he got his message through to Emilia left me speechless, as he FINALLY kissed her, while the insert song was playing in the background. This moment is going to be hard to top, but with 10 more episodes to go, nothing can be certain. XD

Also, Emilia's VA, Rie Takahashi, deserves a lot of praise, as she did a stellar job in this episode. =3
Jan 13, 2021 1:16 PM
Sep 2020
_Endless_ said:
The second half was so cringy and painful to watch I actually wished the whole episode focused on Otto instead.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what a mad kid :)
Jan 13, 2021 1:19 PM
Jul 2019
I guess I'm in the small minority that didn't enjoy the kiss scene(No I'm not a Rem fan). First half with Otto's backstory was ok. The Garf/Rem fight was weak in some spots.

Emilia and Subaru's conversation was hard to watch because it felt they were both on different wavelengths and none of their shouting was helping that. The kiss felt off for different reasons.

Hopefully the next episode is better.
Jan 13, 2021 1:19 PM
Sep 2020
Nice kiss and rising the best girl in the show. Emilia-tan ;)
Jan 13, 2021 1:23 PM
Sep 2020
SatouMatsuzaka said:
Michalekel said:
one person already hated episode.

Any mad Rem fans ? ;)

I'm a Rem fan and loved the episode lol, just because we favor one character doesn't mean we hate the show.

Sure man but in the comment sections are many baby crying rem fans who doesnt like this scene right ?
Anime onlys are so dumb.
Jan 13, 2021 1:27 PM

May 2018
Lol even Subaru admits that emlia is a pain in the ass xD

good episode. Subaru's mom still being based
Jan 13, 2021 1:27 PM

Dec 2016
I felt the same when i was reading in LN,not a rem or emilia fanboy but would definitely say that emilia and subaru moment made me so happy.Episode was really good and i liked the they got pinpointed some of dialouges. 5/5
Jan 13, 2021 1:29 PM

May 2016
He said love too many times kinda makes it less impactful well its probably the main script
in the LN so whatever. the kiss was absolutely adorable.

Otto the man I never knew was such a great companion till last episode and this one
backstory made me love him even more. 5/5
Jan 13, 2021 1:30 PM

Apr 2013
Poor Otto getting expelled from his hometown away from his Family, had a rough childhood already because of his gift.
He's such a Bro going all out to distract Garfiel.
Ram is Awesome yet again, that cocky smile right before she punches Garfiel. And her going "Ora Ora Ora Ora" on Garfiels face was amazing.
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Jan 13, 2021 1:36 PM
May 2018
foxyahoo said:
mczprk said:

Ah yes remembering that you most likely froze your own people for decades and that your father figure left without explanation are no worth crying.

Ah, cmon, she has been crying nonstop for 7 months, she remembered about the freeze thing in the last episode. She acts like a 9 y.o child, unbearable.
But that was an observation, the whole episode was bad.

"You're not thinking about my feelings, you're being selfish, why did you lie to me"?

"Can't tell but I love you and your white hair let's kiss lol dodge it if you want".

My God...so bad, and after 10 minutes of Subaru saying "I love you" like a mindless robot. Cringe.

Can't believe this is the same author that wrote Subaru talking to his parents.
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Jan 20, 2021

397 by M1kasaYu1 »»
Sep 25, 7:09 AM

» Rem have become most favourite anime female character!!! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ZXEAN - Jan 29, 2021

299 by KayKimii »»
Sep 20, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 24, 2021

622 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Aug 25, 1:35 PM

Poll: » What BODILY FLUIDS is Echidna's tea REALLY made of?

Gilgameshuu - Oct 12, 2021

31 by adesh17 »»
Aug 18, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 17, 2021

490 by Baka_God »»
Aug 16, 1:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.