Forum Settings
Forums

Real tv shows and movies that are better than your favorite anime.

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 19, 2020 3:32 PM

Feb 2014
Plenty of them, now that I'm out of my "honeymoon phase" of anime fandom. I would rank The Shawshank Redemption, LOTR: Return of the King, Gattaca, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, above my favorite anime.
Sep 19, 2020 5:03 PM
Sep 2016
SoftImpaler said:
It's all subjective, you have hardly even scratched the surface of anime, based on your watched list its no wonder you think live action is better.

Go watch some Leiji Matsumoto then come back with a more informed opinion.

Imagine having an ego over being more of a degenerate than someone else
Sep 20, 2020 5:14 AM

May 2020
I first watched the Taiwanese drama that was based on Skip Beat before watching the actual anime. And I'm actually shocked by how accurately they portrayed everything in the drama.
Sep 20, 2020 7:43 AM

Jun 2020
I can't really compare anime and live-action shows and movies because they're very distinct experiences (for me, anyways) but if I have to name some movies that I love just as much as my favourite anime, it's gotta be:

1. Hot Fuzz
2. Smokin' Aces
3. Star Trek (2009-2016)
4. Dead Poets Society
5. Warrior

Anything directed by Edgar Wright or Joe Carnahan is a win in my book, though. Their stuff is bonkers yet kickass enough that they could literally be anime.

As for shows, I don't watch any live-action TV series or use Netflix. Haven't watched sitcoms since the days of Drake & Josh, That's So Raven, and Hannah Montana, and that was more than a decade ago. I don't watch TV much in general unless it's to watch reruns of old anime, or like, cartoons & animated movies with my younger siblings.

But generally, my taste in movies and anime are YARDS apart so that's all the more reason that I can't say that one is "better" than the other.

Sep 20, 2020 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
Not better than but just as good
SmallVille season 1 to 3.
X Files
Supernatural
Sucker Punch
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
The Twilight Zone (1959)
Goosebumps
Dark Shadows
Icarly
Riverdale
Sep 20, 2020 8:35 AM

Feb 2020
Impractical Jokers is like a solid 9, ngl... But yeah, I've just developed such an affinity towards anime that it has legitimately become difficult to enjoy other TV. Rick and Morty and stuff will always be sick, but I can't sit down and watch any animated shows on cartoon network anymore. Live action (that's not Impractical Jokers lol) I can't even get into cuz the stakes are so low
Please sign up for MangAlert! It's a little project I made that I'd really like to see the light of day and some users.

MangAlert! (please sign up!)
GitHub Repo (please star!)
Sep 20, 2020 8:48 AM

Aug 2013
Any Paul Thomas Anderson movie for me. A lot of movies, actually, especially older ones. Blade Runner, Le Samourai, Naked, Come and See, Dogtooth. And Modern Family has more likeable characters than any anime I've seen. Frankly the best movies are usually better than the best anime imo. I don't watch a lot of series though.

I think manga/comics are a tighter competition.

CaptainKenshiro said:
Well, from what I watched so far:

-Synecdoche, New York
-Network
-Das Boot
-Paths of Glory
-Blade Runner

And a bunch of other manga and anime are also better.

That's a damn good list. Network is probably the best writing I've seen in a movie.
Sep 20, 2020 9:01 AM

Apr 2020
Interstellar
Inception
The Dark Knight(I'm actually a big Christopher Nolan fan!)
Parasite
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Seperation
I love these movies as much as most of my favorite animes.
MPanahSep 20, 2020 9:08 AM
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Sep 20, 2020 9:14 AM
Dec 2018
Favourite TV Series- Dark (I thought no series could even come closer to Steins Gate in time travel/sci-fi genre but this series proved me wrong)
Sep 20, 2020 9:15 AM
Oct 2018
Breaking bad is slightly better than monster
Sep 20, 2020 11:29 AM

Dec 2010
I like certain films like LOTR/Hobbit/Marvel movies/Disney better than many anime I like I even like books better than anime.
Sep 20, 2020 12:02 PM

Aug 2014
I don't like tv shows and I can't get into them because I have some problems focusing? Anime episodes are only 20 minutes long, so I don't have time to become bored. But tv shows/movies are definitely too long for me. And I think drawn/animated things just look better, than when there are actual people and some computer effects... I've never watched more than one episode of a tv show and I believe it won't change anytime soon.
Sep 20, 2020 4:08 PM

Mar 2018
theres so much more film and tv shows out there in different countries as well. As for me, my favorite movie is definitely Grown Ups 2 starring Adam Sandler.

---------------------------
Mod Edit:Removed first part(bait)
dipItFooSep 28, 2020 10:47 PM
Sep 20, 2020 4:46 PM

Aug 2013
I would put The Matrix above Megazone 23 and Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman above DBZ.
Sep 20, 2020 4:55 PM

Jun 2020
Interstellar, Sunshine, The Dark Knight, Django Unchained, You (Netflix), and Black Mirror
Sep 28, 2020 10:10 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread locked for not encouraging meaningful discussion per Anime Discussion Rule 2.b.

Random "xx vs. yy" as well as "Simple listing" explained in Rule 2 does not encourage discussion.

In accordance with the board specific rules please remember to follow the Site Guidelines as well to further prevent violations.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What do you want from anime?

SgtBateMan - 8 hours ago

14 by GermanBobaTea »»
10 minutes ago

» Is One Piece an elitist anime?

Gashadokur0 - 12 minutes ago

0 by Gashadokur0 »»
12 minutes ago

» Why do people think Fate is impossible to get into?

Psychku - 4 hours ago

18 by LeonhartAugust »»
13 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1055 by CCC47 »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Localization, Name Changes, and Worplay

LSSJ_Gaming - Jun 27

27 by Jackson1333 »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.