Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2009 4:18 PM

Aug 2008
How do you know they aren't wearing the same outfit? Don't trust what you see so much.
It goes both ways.;p
Oct 8, 2009 4:20 PM

Jul 2009
so if you take this bait, the story beatrice is telling/making up now would be exactly what rosa has written on the letter in that floating bottle.
This shouldnt be surprising as I would go as far as saying Beatrice is the alter-ego of rosa at this point. If Evas alter-ego can become the new witch, what happened to the other side of Rosa, who found the gold as well?
And Im not believing in magic at all, I am only saying the gold is what awakes the "witch" inside people.
What you want to believe and what not is totally depended on you.
Oct 8, 2009 4:20 PM

Jun 2007
vinesage said:
well, I think theres at least a very important comment coming from Rosa this ep.
when eva said rosa could have killed her and gets all the gold, rosa said something like its dumb to kill people over those gold, especially when they are all alone on an isolated island, people going to find out the murderer very soon.
If you consider that motive of murder wasnt only the family heritage, but the gold which nobody is sure of its existence. (there was discussion among adults if the gold really existed, but i cant remember so well how it ended.)

If I make the (temporary) assumption that Rosa found the gold much earlier than Eva, she very probably wont tell anyone. Unlike the heritage which is going to be shared anyway, if no one knows of its existence Rosa will get all the gold.
Base on her split personality she shows to maria, I bet she will be crazy thinking about how to get away with all the gold unnoticed. Somehow she comes to the idea to use the superstitious Kinzo/others have about the witch, it can be the "safer" way to get away with all the gold, and before someone finds out what happened on the island she can make up a witch story with the letter in the floating bottle (last ep 1st arc).

undoubtedly, there are holes in this theory, and it doesnt necessarily need to be rosa who found the gold first. But....
When Eva found the gold, rosa "accidentally" solves the epitaph at the very same time as well and step into that gold room right after eva. especailly when you consider in last ep rosa was dozing off when eva solved the epitaph :) (dont know if thats described in the vn as well..)
This plus the comments Rosa gives in this ep, it certainly suggest Rosa knew about the gold before Eva does. If she wasnt there to prevent Eva from finding gold alone, Eva could have turned out to be "the other" murderer. (taking rosa's place in the theory above...)

Rosa being the culprit is a very interesting theory. With how obvious it's making Eva appear to be the culprit, it feels like it's a gigantic red herring.

This also makes her even more suspicious for EP2. If she's capable of solving the epitaph here, then she should be capable of solving it then too. She could have solved it and kill off everyone out of greed.
Oct 8, 2009 4:21 PM

Apr 2007
MarthX said:
Don't trust what you see so much.

We know Maria is dumb but are you naive enough to believe that she's dumb enough that she can't tell Eva Beatrice and Beatrice apart? They don't even wear the same outfit.

Her not saying she looks different or saying she's a different person should have tipped you off.

Gotta try harder than that.

Why do you even bother, MarthX?
There is no point.

To be relevant:
I liked how they portrait EVA-Beatrice as a cold-hearted evil person, as she should be.
Overall it was an okay episode, disappointed by the lack of the explanation regarding the answer to the riddle.

lolcensored.

Oct 8, 2009 4:45 PM
Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
Gonna be blunt.
What the fuck was that shit?

I really like this show, but I'm going to have to agree with you here: that episode was one big bowl of What The Fuck?.

All the witch stuff has become even more confusing for me. It seems that "Beatrice", "Golden Witch", and "Endless Witch" are all titles that are passed from one witch to the next. Is there only one of these in existence at a time? Then what are Berkenstal, Lambdadelta, and Beato now? Just "regular" witches?

And Beato goes from total evil bitch one episode to wounded moe witch the next with no transition. Battler thinking Beato being fun sometimes, I can kind of understand.

But what happens to the game now? Beato is no longer in control of the events, so can it still continue? Is Battler's new opponent Eva/Beatrice?
Oct 8, 2009 4:50 PM

May 2008
I loved this episode for one major reason, and that's the introduction to a romance-like relationship between Battler and Beatrice, though currently it's one-sided. I just like the idea of there being a sort of romance between the two. This episode was also more humorous than all the past ones. I lol'ed when Beatrice asked Battler for a new name and he just says Beato. That being said, Eva's other personality (or whatever you want to consider her) becoming a witch has just added to the confusion.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Oct 8, 2009 4:52 PM

Aug 2008
I think Bernkastel and Lambdadelta are the same type of titles as Beatrice. Bernkastel is the Witch of making-anything-possible-as-long-as-something-is-not-100%, and Lambdadelta is the Witch of Certainty.

It seems like Beatrice was never directly in control of the events. It's more like putting a video game on simulation: it comes out different all the time. But in this case, Beatrice seems to have taken control over Evatrice by the end of the episode. I expect some whining and petulance on Evatrice's part.
Oct 8, 2009 4:54 PM

May 2009
hirahira said:
But the rest of the episode was fine. I especially liked the part with Eva and Hideoyshi.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who loved that part.
Always loved that scene (and later tore my hair out~) between Eva and Hideyoshi, and I think they did a good job in this episode with it. Too bad it's kinda overshadowed by the very important other parts concerning Eva-Beatrice, and the deaths were kinda marked down significantly--Maria in particular, the way Beato killed her in the VN being the same in general, but it felt much more poignant--, yet I think this is a pretty good representation...for an adaptation...Ooh, hurts to say that, though. ^^;;

Also, can someone confirm or deny this question I have?

Oct 8, 2009 4:55 PM

May 2008
noteDhero said:
Also, it's weird that Bernkastel talks about seeing a title passed down as a once in a 1000 year thing, yet we know that this is the second Beatrice in about 50 years.

I'm pretty sure at one point the mentioned Beatrice being over a 1000 years old. :/ But maybe my memory is trying to trick me.
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Oct 8, 2009 4:57 PM

Jun 2007
Here's a good explanation for Beatrice's sudden change and Battler thinking she's fun.

Beatrice's main motive in this game is not to be cruel and murder. It's to alleviate her boredom. That's why she accepted Battler's challenge and started up the game. If Battler refuses to pay attention to her and play with her the way she wants, she's lost her source of fun. That's why she's thrown off kilter by Battler's reaction -- this is a game to her, nothing more. And Battler has a combative nature and has, in some ways, been enjoying going up against Beato, especially now that he has been getting in shots at her. So maybe he has gotten a bit complacent. You also have to remember that Battler believes that a witch did not commit the murders and, very recently, has had to face the concept that Beato or some other extra person might not be the culprit. That makes his opposition of her a little complicated, doesn't it? She's showing him all of these things indicating she's a murderer, but he's arguing that she's not? So maybe he has started to get a little more comfortable around her -- from his perspective, either she a) doesn't even exist except as some sort of afterlife hallucination or b) is real but isn't the murderer. However, this incident has made him remember just how sadistic she seems to be.
Oct 8, 2009 4:59 PM

Aug 2008
But we know that in the 900s people weren't dressing the way kiddy Beatrice dressed in that flashback. That looked Victorian. Now that I think of it, the Victorian era was at the turn of the century, so it's more like two in about 80 years.
Oct 8, 2009 5:32 PM

May 2008
Found something! myanimelist says she's over a 1000 years old.
http://myanimelist.net/character/10285/Beatrice
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Oct 8, 2009 5:40 PM
Apr 2009
noteDhero said:
But we know that in the 900s people weren't dressing the way kiddy Beatrice dressed in that flashback. That looked Victorian. Now that I think of it, the Victorian era was at the turn of the century, so it's more like two in about 80 years.

Blame DEEN for that, we never saw loli beato in the VN.
Oct 8, 2009 5:44 PM

Jun 2008
Well, we know she can't really be 1000 years old anyway
Oct 8, 2009 5:48 PM

May 2008
hirahira said:

Well, she can when you consider how old the other witch's look, yet it sounds like between Beatrice, Lambdalta, and Bernkestal, (I know the other two may be spelled wrong) Bernkestal is the oldest.
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Oct 8, 2009 5:56 PM

Jun 2007
I'm still hoping for a Beatrice x Battler ending :D.
Oct 8, 2009 6:02 PM

Apr 2009
DeathfireD said:
I'm still hoping for a Beatrice x Battler ending :D.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Oct 8, 2009 6:06 PM

Jun 2008
If you new BeaBato fans want to see the clapping scene you can see it here

it starts at 4:33
Oct 8, 2009 6:15 PM

Sep 2007
mangastar said:
hirahira said:

Well, she can when you consider how old the other witch's look, yet it sounds like between Beatrice, Lambdalta, and Bernkestal, (I know the other two may be spelled wrong) Bernkestal is the oldest.

Lambdadelta is the oldest one.
Oct 8, 2009 6:18 PM

May 2008
hirahira said:

Wait, what? Why?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 8, 2009 6:31 PM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:

You shouldn't mix the timeline of the real world and the meta-world.
Remember Rika? She's lived for over 100 years, but it doesn't mean that she was born in 18xx.
Oct 8, 2009 6:35 PM

May 2008
4saken_762 said:
You shouldn't mix the timeline of thereal world and the meta-world.

Oct 8, 2009 6:36 PM

Aug 2008
About the best episode I've seen in a while. I think I laughed more than I should've (the Maria in the hall, the "mountain of cake", Eva-Beatrice's antics). Inconsistencies like usual, but it wasn't that annoying this time for me. Keeping the EvaxHideyoshi scene kept me happy, along with the much need of Moetrice.

...I have to give it a 5. So far, my favorite out of the last like...half of the season.
Oct 8, 2009 6:41 PM

Aug 2008
4saken_762 said:
noteDhero said:

You shouldn't mix the timeline of the real world and the meta-world.
Remember Rika? She's lived for over 100 years, but it doesn't mean that she was born in 18xx.

Fair enough, but does her power work in the same way as Rika/Hanyuu? Beatrice's powers look more passive. Like watching a tv show and skipping to the good parts. It doesn't look like she's directly inserted in vast timelines and repeating them extensively. I think seeing Virgilia teach Kiddy-trice a couple of episodes shows about how her power works: it stalls, interferes, and rewinds.

That's just the conclusion I came to, but I see now what could be meant by her living for a thousand years.
Oct 8, 2009 7:14 PM

Apr 2008
that was insane x_x after a slap from the battler Beatrice talk so funny .. as if having pity on the people

Oct 8, 2009 7:35 PM

Apr 2009
lol, is Beato suddenly a tsundere now?
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Oct 8, 2009 8:04 PM

Jun 2007
Lambda is the tsundere.
Oct 8, 2009 8:05 PM

Jul 2007
Between the cake and URUSAI URUSAI URUSAI, this show just became Needless-funny. Awesome. Just... AWESOME.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Oct 8, 2009 8:11 PM

May 2008
Splitter said:
URUSAI URUSAI URUSAI

I see I wasn't the only one going crazy over that one.

Oct 8, 2009 8:12 PM

Apr 2009
I don't know how much this show evolves into something else every episode.. but it's amazing.. i mean.. we started with a murder case and now, we have this.. cool.. just cool show..

also.. yes.. beato became tsundere-like..
Oct 8, 2009 8:13 PM

May 2008
Mawootad said:
lol, is Beato suddenly a tsundere now?

MarthX said:
Lambda is the tsundere.

Beato has always been Tsundere.
Lambda is more Tsundere.

Bern is Kuudere.

Oct 8, 2009 8:35 PM

Jun 2007
Preview for 16

Oct 8, 2009 8:58 PM
Apr 2009
Oct 8, 2009 9:25 PM

Dec 2008
In comparison to the visual novel, I'm disappointed with the way they handled Eva-Beatrice's power trip. You don't understand as well why she's having so much fun killing Rosa and Maria.

In the anime, you can easily see that she's enjoying her new powers as a witch, that she can now bend reality to her every whim. But they don't cover how intoxicating it is to be able to kill someone and bring them back to life again. That once you know something can be fixed, don't you immediately want to break it over and over and over again, without any fear of the consequences? Or the joy one gets from tasting the forbidden fruit?

They don't even cover this in the anime! Instead, the entire theme has been squashed into a single sentence: "I can revive someone after death." It's almost like an after thought. It's like, 'I can fly, I can summon a giant cake, and oh hey, I can bring people back to life too.' I can't help but feel that they left out a tremendous piece of characterization!

XanthRebornOct 8, 2009 11:39 PM
Oct 8, 2009 10:07 PM

Oct 2009
The scene where Beato flings Rosa into the air and her head gets impaled was awesomely gory, but they censored it. :/ So 4/5. Everything else was awesome, especially Beato showing her unknown, and honestly surprising, moe side.
Oct 9, 2009 1:20 AM

Dec 2007
Not bad besides the usual things lost due to the inability of DEEN to animate the narration correctly from the SN.

*still waiting for the ending of Alliance*

MarthX said:
Preview for 16

another scene of been waiting for is almost up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2009 1:47 AM
Feb 2009

Battler's slap was a great scene. It's nice to finally see him show some genuine disgust at the humor Beato takes in all this. You kind of feel for the guy having to watch his family get tortured in such a way. I really like how humbled Beato got from it. It makes her character seem more childish then outright sinister like we thought. Like there's more behind it than implied. It's made her a touch more interesting.
Oct 9, 2009 2:33 AM
Mar 2008
MarthX said:
Preview for 16

Did I just hear a 24 reference? Jeez, these previews are more off-kilter than Kai's.
Oct 9, 2009 2:34 AM

Oct 2009
Ketuekigami said:
Not bad besides the usual things lost due to the inability of DEEN to animate the narration correctly from the SN.

MarthX said:
Preview for 16

In the preview the 7 seven sisters get to be bunny call girls? O_o Is this some kind fanservice thing I have been taugh? Someone told me about fanservice and am I right that it might be to a extent?

Elika said:

Battler's slap was a great scene. It's nice to finally see him show some genuine disgust at the humor Beato takes in all this. You kind of feel for the guy having to watch his family get tortured in such a way. I really like how humbled Beato got from it. It makes her character seem more childish then outright sinister like we thought. Like there's more behind it than implied. It's made her a touch more interesting.

Hahahaha about the gif is all I have to add.
francismeunierOct 9, 2009 2:38 AM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Oct 9, 2009 3:19 AM
Jul 2008
Drown in glee, and a big cake. She has bad taste.
Oct 9, 2009 6:15 AM

Apr 2009
Just me or does Beatrice (not eva-beatrice) not act like she has some feelings for battle?
Oct 9, 2009 6:16 AM

Apr 2007
francismeunier said:
Ketuekigami said:

MarthX said:
Preview for 16

In the preview the 7 seven sisters get to be bunny call girls? O_o Is this some kind fanservice thing I have been taugh? Someone told me about fanservice and am I right that it might be to a extent?

Elika said:

The sisters with the bunny ears shown in the preview are different from the 7 stakes.

Oct 9, 2009 6:30 AM
Aug 2009
Splitter said:
URUSAI URUSAI URUSAI

^
this xD
Loved that one I think it gets better and better O_o
Btw eva-berto's killing style is childish :) better do it like kill normal way :D
Berto was acting strange :) does she like Battler?We'll see :) anyways good episode 6 out of 5 :D
Oct 9, 2009 7:05 AM

Oct 2009
Tsunami said:
francismeunier said:
Ketuekigami said:

MarthX said:
Preview for 16

Elika said:

The sisters with the bunny ears shown in the preview are different from the 7 stakes.

You sure? I though I see them in the OP being bunny girls.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Oct 9, 2009 7:56 AM

Jun 2007
LunarEmeraldOct 9, 2009 8:04 AM
Oct 9, 2009 8:10 AM

Apr 2009
Lololol. I don't know if I liked this one o.O Seriously, the ocean of jelly was lolworthy. It felt kind of rushed for me, with the ceremony and stuff...and then Beato was somewhat OOC xD I mean, for me, as I only knew her as she appeared in the previous episodes.

EB seems to represent this kind of childish cruelty...that means some seriously messed-up murders are coming, or am I wrong? XD

But Battler finally slapping Beato (sorry, I know there are many Beato fans reading this, but I can't stand the bitch x__X) was pretty cool.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Oct 9, 2009 8:30 AM

Jan 2009
It's a better episode from the last but somehow i see that the quality is a little bit down.

The first part when Eva finds the gold transition to the rose garden was a bit confusing, and how Rosa solved the epitaph ? Plothole~

EVA-Beatrice is moe, but somehow i haven't used with her voice. Probably will used to it in a few episode like Ronove-Kyon.

Also, the bitchslap scene was excellently made. Moe-Tsundere Beato was shown and once again I was amazed by Ohara Sayaka, this is probably her best role.

Next episode, the Mr.&Mrs. Ushiromiya time, but i don't expect a lot. DEEN always dissapoint me
Oct 9, 2009 8:32 AM

Jul 2007
This show is silly.
Oct 9, 2009 8:39 AM

May 2008
I tink Battler did a good job slapping her, great episode woohoo one i have enjoyed since the first arc

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Oct 9, 2009 8:40 AM

Jun 2007
Scud said:
This show is silly.

You're just now figuring that out?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.