Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (15) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 »
Sep 9, 2015 11:42 AM

Jun 2012
shina_luna said:

- Protagonist remains "humanly powerful" until the end and has to struggle thus. Just referring to body strength etc. Is also not encircled by a whole bunch of other folks, which are so very much stronger than him/her.
- A very normal, actually pretty peaceful setting, but has a lot of despair in it. (So not something like a war situation or anything like that or where suddenly the world around the protagonists gets totally messed up in general.)
- genereally a dark atmosphere that exists with a good reason, but still has said actually peaceful setting
- cruelties, or even a very slight amount of splatter... while actually nobody really ever dies (through they may suffer) and while there is no stupid sunrising
- Mostly complex, but not stupidly complicated character drama, no overdone tearjerker twists, no drama because folks are too stupid to talk. (In Hako Maria everbody knows about their trouble. They just find themselves utterly incapable to change anything about the situation, but try out of their despair that springs forth from the impossibility.)
- Just a little bit, but not too much supernatural/fantasy elements.
- Time loops
- A couple that actually has mutual feelings for each other and, most of all, each knows about them and is sure of it, but as external reasons to not give into them, because that love stands queer to something else essential to the character

Any ideas?

Oww, that's really especific. Looking trough what you read, I can't really pinpoint something with so much things in common.
If it's manga, compared to the novel you mentioned, I think Hoshi no Samidare would be interesting choice. Well it's about powers but the MC strong suit isn't his strenght and the dark seinen setting, psychological vibe is there(be aware that the synopsis doesn't accurately describes the story).
Sep 14, 2015 4:14 AM

May 2013
Hello, first time posting in this thread so please be nice to me :P Anyways i have read
Mahou Sensei Negima, and UQ Holder, i loved them both, and now i am having a hard time finding something similar to UQ Holder. i have tried the MAL recommendation but didn't find anything the interested me, so i resorted myself to ask you people.

Thanks anyways for any reply :)
Sep 14, 2015 4:39 AM

Sep 2008
Noxaniac said:
Hello, first time posting in this thread so please be nice to me :P Anyways i have read
Mahou Sensei Negima, and UQ Holder, i loved them both, and now i am having a hard time finding something similar to UQ Holder. i have tried the MAL recommendation but didn't find anything the interested me, so i resorted myself to ask you people.

Thanks anyways for any reply :)

How about Air Gear. It's similar to Negima, as in action, comedy, ecchi, and like Negima has some awesome battles later on. Also it has some funny Negima references in later chapters.
Sep 14, 2015 3:13 PM

Sep 2008
@Noxaniac

I guess you need some light-hearted and long shounen adventure stories, you can start with the most popular ones. Negima recommendation section has actually quite a good choice and variety of those for you to choose (like Fairy Tail, Zettai Karen Children, Medaka Box, Hayate no Gotoku!, Beelzebub etc). Apart from those you can try the following ones: Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi, Nanatsu no Taizai, Soul Eater or Nurarihyon no Mago, Boku no Hero Academia, Kekkaishi, Noblesse.
Sep 15, 2015 6:31 AM

May 2013
Konik and Toha, Thank you guys very much for the answers :) I am now re-reading Air Gear and boy it brings back memories :D, and ill try reading your other suggestions Toha :) Thanks again.
Sep 17, 2015 3:26 AM
Sep 2015
Hi guy, I want a fantasy horror Manga and not to many vol(5-8) it will be helpful if you want to help me (^-^).
Sep 17, 2015 4:41 AM

Oct 2014
Crillroyyy said:
Hi guy, I want a fantasy horror Manga and not to many vol(5-8) it will be helpful if you want to help me (^-^).

sure! here are some:
- school ningyo
- uzumaki
... i'm afraid that's all have short and horror. :(
no signature here
Sep 19, 2015 2:26 AM
Sep 2015
Thank you
Sep 22, 2015 6:49 AM

Apr 2008
Am reading Pandora Hearts these days. Have had read it few and far inbetween for the last few years, but mostly saved the full reading for a good time, which is all soon to be over. Need some successor. >.<
So again, while I know, that there isn't quite something really similiar including all that made it good, just wondering if somebody knows something good that's similiar to one of it's subelements

- Rabbits! But just the theme, not real rabbits and also not too much Alice in Wonderland-nonsense rabbit, also no rabbit gets killed (as a rabbit), despite the setting being rather dark
- Seeking out the past
- Fake identities
- anyway identity problems, but folks not getting too emo about it
- conflicted characters: Wants to that, feels compelled to do the other caught inbetween that
- there is somebody who does whatever he/she likes, but is strong enough to do so to justify that and also not too arrogant nor annoying.
- good pacing of more peaceful scenes inbetween action and drama, without getting boring (i.e. have strong character building or giving out character methaphors.)
- huge cast, where everybody gets to have their respective important role
- eyecandy: a big selection of the most diffrent facial expressions or moods
- probably also helpful in that: two identities residing in one person
- Victorian Era-ish, with a lot of fancy wardrobe
- uhm, this sort of nostalgia-melancholy-dreamish-mood or so to it? (Especially the colour pages, ever after the middle of the series.)
- quite nice action scenes in between
- dark mood
- time limit with impending doom
- Contracts
- well thought out plot
- major "WWHHHAAAAT" plot twist, which despite the surprise make sense
- multiple dimensions
- scythes
- not so overused elements, or used in a diffrent manner, like how chains are used in there, or the golden light
- the good and bad isn't really hat clear, but also not to unclear and messed up either
- people don't nescessarily stand one side forever, but also don't make their change on the last minute in this "but the good like has to win and any evil realizes their mistake when the good ourifies the world close to the finale"-sort of thing
- self sacrifice, but not that kind of emo-type, or weakness (basically what Elliots scolds Oz off about at their first meeting), but in full awareness of what it means and still doing it, because there isn't anything much else to do.
- a deal of regret to self loathing, but without overly getting emo, but rather getting a new conviction out of it (so slightly yandere is fine, too)
- somebody who is somewhat pathetic, but in a cute humourous manner (like Gilbert and not being able to stop smoking and getting picked on it)
- master-servant relationship with loyalty and devoteness, but the master needs to be capable of taking care of themselves, if need be
- Anyway, rabbits.
- Did I mention rabbits already?

@Snaita
Will check Hoshi no Samidare out. Altough the art doesn't really look that much my taste. Too... Weekly Jump-shonen-simplish? (At least judging from the covers, the level of details doesn't look too huge.)
shina_lunaSep 22, 2015 9:18 AM
Sep 23, 2015 1:38 AM

Oct 2014
@shina_luna

-_- ..... just....just read One Piece ..... it has EVERYTHING!

also.. you could try :
- a fairy tale for the demonlord
- Lessa the crimson knight
- Kuso Manga bukuro
no signature here
Sep 23, 2015 7:08 AM

Apr 2008
I'm already reading One Piece. ^^"
(Although I can't remember for it to have rabbits nor victorian-era-ish mood/wardrobe)

Will check the other ones out~
Sep 23, 2015 10:33 AM

Sep 2008
@shina_luna

Here I tried to find something that suits your categories but sorry I have no idea if they actually catch your attention. Some of them are already in your PTR but I decided to mention them anyway.

- dark mood:
Dragon Head, Sugar Dark: Umerareta Yami to Shoujo, Tenkuu Shinpan, Dorohedoro

- anyway identity problems (could have misunderstood the meaning of identity problems, so not sure about these ones, but they are different in the problem thing and the cause):
Fukigen Cinderella, Ana Satsujin, Annarasumanara, Onanie Master Kurosawa, Sekai Oni, Watashi no Messiah-sama

- time limit with impending doom:
Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite, Onnanoko ga Shinu Hanashi, Mousugu Shinu Hito

- sort of nostalgia-melancholy-dreamish-mood or so to it (well I guess they are more of a melancholy mood ones):
Ginen Shounen, Kimi no Knife, Shikeishuu 042, Sayonara Piano Sonata

- huge cast, conflicted characters, somebody who is somewhat pathetic, but in a cute humourous manner, self sacrifice:
Kubera

- scythes, quite nice action scenes in between:
Soul Eater, Noblesse

- Seeking out the past:
Seizon

- Fake identities, seeking out the past, quite nice action scenes in between:
Tripeace, Fukashigi Philia

- the good and bad isn't really that clear, plot twists:
Vampire Juujikai

- multiple dimensions, plot twists, not so overused elements, or used in a diffrent manner:
Murasakiiro no Qualia

- there is somebody who does whatever he/she likes, quite nice action scenes in between, self sacrifice, a deal of regret to self loathing:
Mahou Tsukai Kurohime, Sousei no Onmyouji

- Victorian Era-ish, with a lot of fancy wardrobe:
Boukyaku no Haou Rolan (it looks somewhat like Pandora, but not so sure about the rest)

- Rabbits:
Samurai Usagi :P
Sep 26, 2015 3:29 PM
Sep 2015
Hey guys, I recently read Hirunaka no Ryuusei and, cute as it was, it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I was hoping someone could recommend something that features a student/teacher relationship and actually shows some of the very serious consequences that can come from it. It doesn't have to be super dark (also doesn't have to not be), but at least somewhat more realistic than "Sensei looks and acts just like his students so no one cares that he's sexually harassing a child". Ya know?

Preferences:

- Female student/male teacher

- Decent length (minimum 30 chapters, preferably 50-100)

- Completed

- High on drama

- Low on smut/ecchi (sexual content is okay if it actually enhances the story, but I don't want my eyes assaulted by underage boobs just for the sake of titillation)

That might be a little too specific, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out. If there's nothing like that for student/teacher, I'd also be fine with just a regular old large age gap. Basically I want to read about a taboo romance with a power imbalance that isn't super fetishized or romanticized.
Sep 27, 2015 2:49 AM

Oct 2014
@ VerballyStunted

here are two sugestions

- Good Ending
- Domestic na kanojo
no signature here
Sep 28, 2015 6:09 AM

May 2014
@VerballyStunted

If you intend to start Good Ending make sure you DON'T read the one-shot! Apparently it spoils the whole thing -_-
Sep 28, 2015 10:46 AM

Dec 2009
Hello!
I was wondering if someone could recommend me a good comedy, fantasy or japanese folklore manga (youkai and stuff like that). My only condition is that it doesn't have much drama in it and it's completed.
Thank you in advance! ^^
Sep 29, 2015 6:01 AM

Apr 2008
Oct 2, 2015 12:52 PM

Nov 2014
So, i don't know if this applies to light novals as well, but if it does:
i'd like to read something like Rokka no yuusha. Meaning it needs mystery, fantasy and or magic. It could also be a very well done thriller. Thanks in advance to those that recommend :)
Oct 2, 2015 1:36 PM

Jul 2015
@ClouWatcherYou can try:
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria
Gekkou
Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
Mother of learning (the title is not really appealing i know )

I don't think of anything else including mystery and fantasy, see for yourself if it's to your taste :)
(I think you can find all of them on Baka-Tsuki, i'm not sure )
Oct 2, 2015 10:12 PM

Nov 2014
CloudWatcher said:
So, i don't know if this applies to light novals as well, but if it does:
i'd like to read something like Rokka no yuusha. Meaning it needs mystery, fantasy and or magic. It could also be a very well done thriller. Thanks in advance to those that recommend :)

Pandora hearts?A lot of questions from the beginning as you slowly learn about how stuff works and then theres the insane amount of plot twists as well
Oct 6, 2015 6:24 AM

Jan 2009
im looking for psychological/ romance = manga and manhwa. any recommendation? thanks in advance!
Oct 11, 2015 2:54 AM
Mar 2010
Snaita said:
shina_luna said:

- Protagonist remains "humanly powerful" until the end and has to struggle thus. Just referring to body strength etc. Is also not encircled by a whole bunch of other folks, which are so very much stronger than him/her.
- A very normal, actually pretty peaceful setting, but has a lot of despair in it. (So not something like a war situation or anything like that or where suddenly the world around the protagonists gets totally messed up in general.)
- genereally a dark atmosphere that exists with a good reason, but still has said actually peaceful setting
- cruelties, or even a very slight amount of splatter... while actually nobody really ever dies (through they may suffer) and while there is no stupid sunrising
- Mostly complex, but not stupidly complicated character drama, no overdone tearjerker twists, no drama because folks are too stupid to talk. (In Hako Maria everbody knows about their trouble. They just find themselves utterly incapable to change anything about the situation, but try out of their despair that springs forth from the impossibility.)
- Just a little bit, but not too much supernatural/fantasy elements.
- Time loops
- A couple that actually has mutual feelings for each other and, most of all, each knows about them and is sure of it, but as external reasons to not give into them, because that love stands queer to something else essential to the character

Any ideas?

Oww, that's really especific. Looking trough what you read, I can't really pinpoint something with so much things in common.
If it's manga, compared to the novel you mentioned, I think Hoshi no Samidare would be interesting choice. Well it's about powers but the MC strong suit isn't his strenght and the dark seinen setting, psychological vibe is there(be aware that the synopsis doesn't accurately describes the story).

@shina i do not know if you have received an answer yet to a manga along these guidelines but going through your list (which is a long list so i might have missed it), but you need to check out the manga Holyland it best fits all those categories in my opinion, and even if it it didnt i would still suggest it because it is my favorite manga of the few that i have read.

http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=3285

the summary itself is not that good but basically the main character Yuu has been bullied a lot and he goes through a lot of psychological problems along with real life problems when he has to deal with bullies. He is not the strongest character at the beginning but he isnt the stereotypical week shouen MC he does progress over time in physical and mental strength. Also there is a love interest, the setting is the city streets nothing crazy.

The only thing it doesnt fit in ur list is a fantasy/supernatural element, otherwise i think it is a perfect fit to your request. even if you dont think it fits ur criteria you should still check it out because it is my favorite manga :P

Oct 12, 2015 6:31 AM

May 2015
hi can someone recommend for me a manga with arranged marraiges/couples?
Oct 13, 2015 12:36 PM

May 2014
DeadOtaku31 said:
hi can someone recommend for me a manga with arranged marraiges/couples?
Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari
Koi to Uso
Masamune-kun no Revenge
Half & Half

Aside the arranged marriages/couples feature they are all pretty different...
Oct 13, 2015 8:33 PM

Apr 2015
Just finished HakoMari, looking for something similar. No Gekkou becasue I already read it.
Oct 14, 2015 7:00 AM

Jul 2015
I need some shoujo manga recommendation. So far ive been reading akaiito, namaikizakari, last game, house of the sun
Oct 14, 2015 11:06 AM

Apr 2014
aureru said:
I need some shoujo manga recommendation. So far ive been reading akaiito, namaikizakari, last game, house of the sun

Koe no Katachi
Koukou Debut
Bokura ga Ita
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Koko ni Iru yo!
Houkago x Ponytail
Beast Master
Nov 4, 2015 9:36 AM
Sep 2015
Can you guys give me a good romance manga (ミ ̄ー ̄ミ)
Nov 4, 2015 9:42 AM

Apr 2014
Crillroyyy said:
Can you guys give me a good romance manga (ミ ̄ー ̄ミ)

post above you ^
:)
Nov 4, 2015 11:30 AM
Sep 2015
Thanks m8
Nov 4, 2015 11:53 AM

Aug 2013
sup knowledgeable ppl? i'd like to find a manga where the main guys is strong and is aware of the power and knows how to use it. (i wouldn't mind if he get powerful at the beginning, and then just own the others), i'd also like it to have some supernatural elements.
Nov 5, 2015 9:02 AM

Sep 2008
@DarkStyle

If you want some OP MC then here are some suggestions:
Onepunch-Man, Gun x Clover, Id - The Greatest Fusion Fantasy, Superior, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: 'Kono Watashi no Mono to Nare, Yuusha yo' 'Kotowaru!', Beelzebub, Tower of God, The Breaker, Needless, Tokyo Ghoul.
Nov 8, 2015 6:02 PM

Jan 2014
Hey guys, I'm looking for a manga where the goal is to "trick" people, something like Liar Game or Kakegurui. Thanks :)
Nov 9, 2015 3:33 AM

Apr 2008
Hunter x Hunter, in a later arc also yu yu hakusho.
Spice of Wolf at some points as well.

There is also some shoujo called Million girl or so, it#s somewhat a cheesy version of Liar Game.
Nov 9, 2015 4:20 PM

Jan 2014
I'll keep those in mind, thank you.
Anyone else?
Nov 10, 2015 4:14 PM

Apr 2015
Manga like Game of Thrones.

Requirements :
Adult-oriented (seinen), plot twists, betrayal, huge cast and of course "no one's safe"
Nov 10, 2015 6:05 PM
May 2013
qinfu26 said:
i wish for something like naruto and sasuke , legend of legendary heroes
friends becomes enemies and FIGHT
BERSERK BEEEEERRRRRSEEEERK LMAO
Nov 10, 2015 6:09 PM
May 2013
I want a manga that doesnt have an anime to go with it idc what genre it is as long as it is good! Or ill take and exception to mangas that are better than its animation counter part like Tokyo Ghoul or one that kept on going like Soul Eater. Thanks fam!
Nov 11, 2015 7:39 AM

Apr 2015
CandleJakk007 said:
Manga like Game of Thrones.

Requirements :
Adult-oriented (seinen), plot twists, betrayal, huge cast and of course "no one's safe"

Anyone?
Nov 11, 2015 7:49 AM

Apr 2008
Shin Angyo Onshi, Monster, 20th Century Boys, probably Berserk (haven't read it)
Nov 12, 2015 2:03 PM

Sep 2008
@CandleJakk007

Great suggestions there ↑ :)
Well I can also add Umineko no Naku Koro ni series (manga version is great), Bokurano, Battle Royale, Hoshi no Samidare, Terra Formars

jmonegro0429 said:
I want a manga that doesnt have an anime to go with it idc what genre it is as long as it is good! Or ill take and exception to mangas that are better than its animation counter part like Tokyo Ghoul or one that kept on going like Soul Eater. Thanks fam!

Man, you are basically talking about most manga titles out there :P I’m not sure what you want so you can just check the manga titles I mentioned above or the ones mentioned in the previous reply by shina_luna.
Nov 16, 2015 9:29 AM
Sep 2015
How many vol is it in One Piece and where can i buy it
Nov 16, 2015 11:33 AM

Apr 2014
Crillroyyy said:
How many vol is it in One Piece and where can i buy it

80 vol so far..
depends where you are from..
e-bay bro ^^
Nov 16, 2015 1:24 PM
Sep 2015
Im from sweden so eBay and amazon will work @goran1989
Nov 23, 2015 1:37 PM

Aug 2014
Can you guys recommend me some anime that are very mature and serious, and realistic (e.g Monster, Billy Bat, etc.)
I would like some deep themes, and realistic characters.
Thank you, it's greatly appreciated
Nov 23, 2015 2:46 PM

Apr 2008
Anything from Fumi Yoshinaga
Dec 8, 2015 11:00 PM

Jun 2011
Looking for a manga for myself.

Enjoyed
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Flowers of Evil
Inside Mari
Under Grand Hotel

Also Yotsuba& but I know that is an outlier. lol

I honestly wouldn't mind something more cheery but what can I say other than I like it when there is a lot of mean stuff happening and my favorite characters are constantly in some sort of emotional crisis.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 11, 2015 8:29 AM

May 2014
@AWestSide
From my list maybe you should try:
Love Letter
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Once Again (it won't make much sense unless you finish it)
The Breaker (I suppose the plot is realistic but it has very unrealistic martial arts)

@Jonouchi-Katsuya
If you enjoy manga where the MC experiences unfair or traumatic events then...
Dead Tube
Platinum End
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (definitely!)
Yakushoku Distpiari
Dec 11, 2015 11:33 AM

Jan 2015
2 Jonouchi-Katsuya
You should try reading Oyasumi Punpun and Asano Inio in general
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (15) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

imperlast - Jun 14, 2010

1420 by MechaFanBoy1979 »»
Yesterday, 9:01 PM

Sticky: » [EVENT] Rec Club Summer Challenge 2024 – Class in Session! (Jun. 23 - Jul. 20)

FakeNameOF - Jun 23

13 by JustineVictoria »»
Jun 26, 11:56 PM

» Recomend any manga and i will read it!!

Tamurax - Feb 2

5 by Yomotoko_Senpai »»
May 26, 10:12 PM

» Mecha Manga

PlasticRobot - Feb 23

0 by PlasticRobot »»
Feb 23, 7:05 PM

» Guys, check my paintings - Tribute to Makoto Shinkai

mufarari - Jan 13

1 by Tamurax »»
Feb 2, 7:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.