Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2018 12:09 PM

Feb 2018
Lelouch0202 said:
ade-pewe said:

Do you want to bo spoiled? i ask it first

I'd rather not but a vague answer of whether I'm on the right track or not would be appreciated. XD

I tried to not spoiled you.
gadboyzApr 7, 2018 12:13 PM
Apr 7, 2018 12:11 PM

Apr 2012
Mohammadalmannai said:
RobertBobert said:

I see... Well, I'm just pretty worried, since this game seems to me the most enjoyable of the franchise. But the first episode is noticeably narmy when it comes to the animation of some scenes.

No matter what, the medium is different and on top of that, I am glad that A-1 is faithful with the animation rather than giving them A-1 generic faces like P4G had.

Plus, it felt fast yet nothing important was left out, it was amazing plus the directing is good for the first episode. Just wait and see.

Do not get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Just two or three scenes made me raise an eyebrow, lol. But nevertheless, I very much hope that I will be able to call this show one of the most beloved in the season.

Apr 7, 2018 12:13 PM

Apr 2015
RobertBobert said:
Mohammadalmannai said:

No matter what, the medium is different and on top of that, I am glad that A-1 is faithful with the animation rather than giving them A-1 generic faces like P4G had.

Plus, it felt fast yet nothing important was left out, it was amazing plus the directing is good for the first episode. Just wait and see.

Do not get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Just two or three scenes made me raise an eyebrow, lol. But nevertheless, I very much hope that I will be able to call this show one of the most beloved in the season.

Lmao I know you are not complaining. The only part where I raised an eyebrow was the part with Ann and Ren's meeting because it felt awkward. Lol
Apr 7, 2018 12:14 PM

Oct 2015
Great Episode and adaptation for one of my fav games
Apr 7, 2018 12:16 PM

Feb 2018
Mohammadalmannai said:
RobertBobert said:

Lmao I know you are not complaining. The only part where I raised an eyebrow was the part with Ann and Ren's meeting because it felt awkward. Lol

The part that i complain is Kamoshida Voice. NOOOOOOO
Apr 7, 2018 12:24 PM

Dec 2010
I can't imagine someone who hasn't played the game enjoying or even following what happened.
But I played the game and I loved it. Especially the music.
Apr 7, 2018 12:26 PM

Mar 2012
Lelouch0202 said:
That was great.

The opening sequence was lit, so much style.

I haven't played the game even though I really really want too. Not having a console does bite you sometimes. That said, great presentation overall. I'm familiar with P4 so I think I've got the gist of what happens.

The Velvet room transition along with it's classic soundtrack was fantastic.

Is the game's story also told through a flashback kinda way as it's happening here?
I assume the bodily injuries/ whatever Ren was convicted for in the past was related to him using his power?
Are the Phantom Thieves and their calls/contracts are basically for people who are affected/affiliated from the other world?

The final scene was awesome and the OP if that's what the final song was is great too. Looking forward to more.

Yeah, a lot of the plot is told in flashback style like this. This has been very faithful so far.
Apr 7, 2018 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
ade-pewe said:
Mohammadalmannai said:

The part that i complain is Kamoshida Voice. NOOOOOOO

I usually don’t like English dubs, but insofar as dubs go... his English voice was a much better fit- the guy who voiced him in eng totally fits his personality. The Japanese voice is just a weird choice in the first place, not to say the seiyuu can’t voice act, it’s just that it doesn’t suit him. That was my one complaint with the Japanese dub overall
Apr 7, 2018 12:29 PM

Mar 2016
Yaaaaasssss!! It’s finally here! Best girl Ann and Takemi already debuted, and best bro Ryuji. So much satisfaction from the first episode. Kamoshida with that fuckboi hilarious outfit lmao. The game was an easy 10/10. Hoping for the same here.
Shishou_23Apr 7, 2018 12:35 PM
Apr 7, 2018 12:31 PM

Nov 2009
Episode feel a bit rush but consider it 24 episodes, that understandable. I just hope we got introduced with Makoto and Futaba soon.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Apr 7, 2018 12:31 PM

Sep 2011
This is an anime only discussion. Please refrain from spoiling anything, even by the means of spoiler tags. If you wish to know stuff, you can ask for the stuff to be PM'D to you.
Apr 7, 2018 12:41 PM

Jun 2014
It was still enjoyable even though I've never played the game. Hopefully this will do what Fate/Extra didn't do, which is make it so that even without knowledge of the game, this can still be followed and adequately understandable. Pretty solid first episode overall though.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 7, 2018 12:41 PM

Apr 2012
Mohammadalmannai said:
RobertBobert said:

Where she sneeze like a small hamster ? Well, at least it was cute, not creepy like fish eyes in the Trinity Soul.
Apr 7, 2018 12:49 PM

Apr 2017
so it seems like it's being well animated and directed
the only issue is that given the time they have, the pacing will be pretty awful

we'll just have to wait and see how much they can make up for that
Apr 7, 2018 12:52 PM

Jul 2015
Was I supposed to understand this episode? Never played the games and I feel pretty confused.

Other than that it had some cool things, Rei got a badass stand at the end.
Apr 7, 2018 12:52 PM

Mar 2016
I agree with some people here. Some voices are better in english like Kamoshida’s, Ryuji, and most of all Akechi. Akechi has hands down the best voice in the english dub, and if you played the game, you’ll know why ;)
Apr 7, 2018 1:02 PM

May 2014
Banzai Youkosooo waga velvetto room
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Just watch what you may like.
Don't watch it and don't make bad comment about it.
Every anime wants to be praised.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr 7, 2018 1:10 PM
May 2017
This was an okay start but I still feel unsatisfied. I loved the Persona 5 game and the animated cut scenes in that game were beautiful to look at while delivering a nice sense of mystery. But now having seen a 22 minute cut scene the animation is really looking lack luster. Its not bad I just can't help feel that the animators were pretty bored making this. Every movement is by the numbers and feels kind of slow and heavy. I hope that when it comes to Persona battles things get a little bit more energetic.
Apr 7, 2018 1:12 PM
Feb 2018
From someone who has played the game in entirety to 100% completion, i'm liking what we've seen. First off its an It captures the style and flair of P5 wonderfully. On top of that we get a nice introduction to the first 5 members of the phantom thieves. You don't get to know much about the thieves in depth, but you do get a little about their personalities. All in all for a Sub-plot that was a mere blip to the game, the execution of the story was pretty damn good.

Style, Music, Flair, and internal Psychology were what attracted me to the game, and it looks like the anime is going to nail all aspects
Apr 7, 2018 1:18 PM

Jul 2016
Never played any Persona game, but I was curious about this adaption.

I liked the first episode, it was quite nice.
Just a pity they didn't pause enough on the Personas, I would like to know more about them. Without playing the games nor reading the wikia, of course.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Apr 7, 2018 1:18 PM

Mar 2012
Atlus has had a lot of experience with animating Persona games by this point. This looks like quality work. Although I thought some of the transition is a bit abrupt, this will be a good series.
Apr 7, 2018 1:19 PM
Feb 2018
MetaThPr4h said:
Was I supposed to understand this episode? Never played the games and I feel pretty confused.

I think they wanted to introduce some of the characters in the OVA opposed to explaining the mechanics, of persona's, the phantom thieves, stealing hearts, etc. as you get a decent taste of the core team.
Once the "How" is explained things will make more sense, in that sense.
Apr 7, 2018 1:20 PM

May 2017
Pknoctis said:
I can't imagine someone who hasn't played the game enjoying or even following what happened.

i didn't understand shit tbh
Apr 7, 2018 1:22 PM

May 2017
MetaThPr4h said:

you are not alone. lol
Apr 7, 2018 1:23 PM

Dec 2012
it'll take some time for me to get used to Ren Amamiya instead of Akira Kurusu but oh well, it's not that big of a deal anyways. I'm so freaking excited for this I won't even care about low quality animation or such. Akira Ren looks so beautiful when animated tho...those long eyelashes

DragonSlayer_19 said:
I agree with some people here. Some voices are better in english like Kamoshida’s, Ryuji, and most of all Akechi. Akechi has hands down the best voice in the english dub, and if you played the game, you’ll know why ;)

yup, totally agree. I like Ryuji's jap VA, he sounds hot overall but.. doesn't really fit Ryuji? english Ryuji is best Ryuji. English pleasant boy is best pleasant boy as well
Apr 7, 2018 1:27 PM

Mar 2010
Haven't played the game, have watched prior animes. Like this one so far. ^^

Just wondering based on a few little things, but does the MC's legal issues have to do with.. an overzealous justice system perhaps? I get the distinct feeling of a kid who fought back against the bullies in a zero tolerance system. Or maybe defended someone else and refused to apologize for using violence to do so. :/
Apr 7, 2018 1:30 PM

May 2016
I haven't played the game before but thought this is an interesting start. I love Joker's character and his PERSONA :D

It's pretty neato way to start off the season.
Apr 7, 2018 1:35 PM
Apr 2018
I played a ton of the game last year and just started picking it up again recently. I am super proud of how this turned out and how faithful it is to the game made me so incredibly excited for the rest.
Apr 7, 2018 1:39 PM

Jul 2011
24 episodes :o that is good thing.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Apr 7, 2018 1:50 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Fast-paced, yet, well-paced. So far so good. Hopefully they can keep this adaptation as strong as it is right now. Waiting for best boy Yusuke :3

5/5
Apr 7, 2018 2:01 PM
Mar 2016
maybe feel Rushed
but
WELL DONE
they success delivery feel on Game to Anime
espesially for OST
that truly right decision using OST from Game
and also like the decision OP and ED sung by Lyn Inaizumi
her voice is Outstanding!

feel sorry to who didnt play P5 game
they will feel confuse
basically "this anime only a promotional anime, if you want perfectly understand, buy and play the game"

I waiting for WAIFU WARS!
NdanHMApr 7, 2018 2:26 PM
Apr 7, 2018 2:05 PM

Jan 2016
Quite a confusing start; as originally I thought the new high school thing was a flash-forward due to how it seemed something important happened previously, but no... it's a flashback?

As an anime only I hope this won't end up being hard to follow.
Apr 7, 2018 2:05 PM

May 2017
ok so after re-watching most of the scenes.. i think i got the basic idea of this show.

But man. As a non-native english speaker, words like thine, thy, thou confuse the fuck outta me. had to google them.

"I am thou, thou art i." get outta here brooo

Love the art style and the outro song. Will continue to watch.
Apr 7, 2018 2:06 PM

Sep 2014
shayed__ said:
Pknoctis said:

I recommend to keep watching. Things should get clearer soon. Though if you can, play the game.
Apr 7, 2018 2:08 PM

May 2017
ambrose7 said:
shayed__ said:

I recommend to keep watching. Things should get clearer soon. Though if you can, play the game.

Will continue for sure. I re-watched some scenes. I guess im fine for now, obviously still got a lot of questions but yea guess everything will be explained down the line
Apr 7, 2018 2:11 PM

Jul 2012
As someone completely new to Persona universe, that was a "wtf is going on" episode for me...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2018 2:18 PM
Dec 2016
Am I the only one that has no idea what they just watched?
Apr 7, 2018 2:27 PM
Mar 2018
Honestly, although the first episode may have a fast pace, it managed to tackle all of the main points from the game while retaining the impact of each point and they even snuck in a few easter eggs and some bits of foreshadowing, which is impressive in itself.

I personally had no issues with the animation, but for people that are trying to compare the animation quality between the anime and the game, IG Production had an entire 4 or 5 years to perfect an hour’s or two’s worth of cutscenes while A-1 only had less than a couple of months fo animate 24 episodes. The awakening scene was beautifully animated, so it shows that they will put in the effort for scenes that require such animation quality. Also, the art actually holds up incredibly well and still looks amazing.

Besides the pacing issues as well as maybe glancing over a few things from the game, the first episode was decently adapted while showing us a sample of what to expect in the future.

Although, I do worry for the anime-only viewers because Ren’s past had been briefly shown and the development of Kamoshida’s role may have been a bit too sudden...
Apr 7, 2018 2:30 PM
Sep 2016
Mohammadalmannai said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think it is a great start! They covered the prologue pretty smoothly and saving a lot of time! It does feel awkward here and there and glad they kept the part where the protagonist got lost, the world transitioning I mean.

Sojiro is kinder in the anime in comparison to the game.

Loved the Rise easter egg

The Velvet room transitioning, great way to save time.

Anyway, it's pretty faithful and has good direction, plus the protagonist has more personality than Yuu in P4 judging from the first episode alone.

I have high hopes for the series, even if the castle part feels a bit rushed, it wasn't bad, they got all the important details set and presented and I liked the Kamoshida and Ryuji eye-contact before he drives off.

The OP wasn't animated, but it sounds amazing, but it was way too fast.
will there be romance in this season ?
Apr 7, 2018 2:37 PM

Sep 2016
I already completed the game, while it's extremely fun to play through, the main story is godawful with bunch of waste potential. maybe more people will realize it now since there won't be any gameplay in the anime.

will continue just for nana mizuki
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 7, 2018 2:39 PM

Jan 2008
Fucking hype. The OST is making me want to go back and play the game.

So weird hearing the protagonist speaking full lines.

And thus the waifu war beings!
Apr 7, 2018 2:41 PM

Sep 2015
That was a pretty good first episode. I really liked how they made some kind of montage for the part where you usually walk around. I wonder though how much they'll cover and what they will skip, it is a 100+ hour game after all and even NG+ took around 60.

I'll be on board with this one, because watching one episode a week beats playing through it again anytime.
Apr 7, 2018 2:51 PM

May 2010
Loved the game (put 148h into it) and im loving this episode ;)
Apr 7, 2018 2:54 PM

Jul 2017
As a player of the game it gives you a sense of nostalgia (if you can be nostalgic for a game only a year old; got my first trophy a year and 2 days ago!)
The music, the nods to the support characters and to P4/G and the transition from Shibuya to Jongenjaya!

The story so far has been faithful and I can't think of anything that's been cut from the intro to where we got to, apart from the gameplay bits where I just wandered around and searched every nook and cranny. So they covered in 20 odd minutes what probably took me 2 hours! I will say the animation on the bits that were proper cutscenes in the game like the train crash seem a little less polished, but not terrible.

I was wondering who Akira was when people were talking about that above, had to look it up. I see that was the protagonists name in the manga. It just happens to be what I named the protags of both P4 and P5 (because it was the first anime I saw and I have no imagination 😄).

To the non-players, the character teased at the end has a lot of exposition in the game, so you might get a better idea of what's going on when we meet them.
D1tchd1ggerApr 7, 2018 2:59 PM
Apr 7, 2018 3:03 PM

Dec 2014
Probably should get used to this pacing if they are planning on adapting the whole game.
Apr 7, 2018 3:32 PM

Apr 2015
Como eu esperei para esse anime começar. Pelo menos bonito eu sei que ele vai ser.
Apr 7, 2018 3:34 PM
Sep 2017
This was great can’t wait to see the next episode, hope later on it won’t be so fast paced though the other episodes
Apr 7, 2018 3:46 PM

Aug 2014
Not sure why I'm watching this having played the game. Oh right, animated waifu.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 7, 2018 3:52 PM

Mar 2012
is that kamoshida's game voice? it's awful
Apr 7, 2018 4:06 PM

Mar 2012
okay now i'm finished the episode and at least it's better than p4ga? but i agree it's way too rushed and why

but awakening was better in the anime imo so congrats?
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best girl?

TASM18 - Dec 30, 2022

7 by murasakikichi »»
Jun 15, 2:31 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2018

33 by Shota_Thighs »»
May 7, 10:57 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

143 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 15, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

40 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 14, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

6 by ArctiKFox »»
Feb 21, 10:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.