Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 3, 2016 11:33 AM
Sep 2015
Huh?? Some gender-bender anime. After first episode I can't say anything good about it
Oct 3, 2016 12:41 PM

Oct 2015
Mmmm look at all them salty straight boys crying over a wee bit of female-targeted fanservice as they have tits, ass and yuri in their sigs and forum pics. Tasty.
Oct 3, 2016 2:24 PM

Apr 2007
That was so much fun I want more ;_;

I haven't been able to play the game yet, but Yamanbagiri and Hasebe have always been my favorites and this already confirms that I made the right choices <3 I will surly fall in love with more characters through this which is dangerous haha

I never knew the game was about "saving history" or whatever so that was interesting.
Oct 3, 2016 3:14 PM

Apr 2016
Yeah, that was... not very good. It was total character overload and the comedy mostly missed the mark. Most of the serious dialogue was on-the-nose exposition, as well. I don't have much confidence that they'll be able to juggle the lighthearted mood of the show with its more serious themes (alteration of history, etc.). I'll make a confident prediction now that this will be one of those shows with an intriguing premise that doesn't do enough to capitalize on it.

All that probably isn't too important, though, since the obvious purpose of this show is to give girls a bunch of cute (androgynous) boys to watch fight and mess around with each other, not that there's anything wrong with that. I've enjoyed many shows that do the same thing with a reversal of gender, but without that raw "attraction" I doubt this'll do much to interest me. Just ludicrous enough to see where it goes, though.

Tsukkimaru said:
Mmmm look at all them salty straight boys crying over a wee bit of female-targeted fanservice as they have tits, ass and yuri in their sigs and forum pics. Tasty.

Ha, exactly. That's why I can't harp on this too much, even if I didn't like it. The appeal is obvious.
Oct 3, 2016 4:43 PM

Jun 2012
Meh, it feels like fujoshi bait... Gonna wait for the Ufotable adaptation.
Oct 3, 2016 5:22 PM

May 2016
Tsukkimaru said:

THIS!

i'm VERY HAPPY with this show. By now is a 10/10
Oct 3, 2016 5:28 PM

Dec 2009
sunose said:
Ritsu said:
HOLY CRAP THEY ARE MOVING I CANT BREATHE
I WAS GRINNING SO MUCH THE ENTIRE EPISODE THE OPENING WAS BEAUTIFUL AND ALSO THAT FLASH OF TSURUMARU JUST KILLED ME STRAIGHT HOLY CRAP HE IS A BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL MAN. AND OF COURSE OUR MAIN PAIR IN THIS SEASON HAVE SUCH BEAUTIFUL SHIPPY MOMENTS OH YES... their history as swords was such a tragedy so they deserve any beautiful happy moments they can get.
Really looking forward to the rest of the season + the other one in 2017 :'D.... Oh god... it was such a wonderful experience watching them move... i will never get over the joy...

The only thing that would probably make me happier is when I watch Enstars anime :D

don't tell me you also mikatsuru fan ? ;DD

really surprised bc tsuru is in it tbh !

OMG..... OMG...... OMG....... YOU ARE TOO??!?!?! SLOW SCREAM OF AGONY N JOY..... OMG...... MY COMRADE....... -CLUTCHES YOU TIGHT AND SOBS INTO YOUR SHOULDER-.... MIKATSURU FTW............ OH BABIES.........
Oct 3, 2016 5:29 PM

Jul 2012
Aedrin said:
Huh?? Some gender-bender anime. After first episode I can't say anything good about it
what gender bender? they're all guys. there's no "tricks" or anything.
Oct 3, 2016 6:40 PM
Dec 2009
rsc-pl said:
Awesome art and animation quality, as expected by Doga Kobo, interesting soundtrack, but story... Idk, bishounens everywhere (totally not my cup of tea), I expected something different (I don't know source material).

I had similar thoughts. I loved the art and animation quality, and many of the character designs were cool. I don't mind bishounen focused anime and the sword idea seemed interesting so after seeing goods for it all over my local convenience store I decided to check it out but... this first episode made it hard to see what the story would be like moving forward, I think you'd have to be a fan of the original game to really enjoy it.

Mayuka said:
vikki7783 said:

It's a browser game (there is a mobile version though)
It's Kancolle but for girls.

Comparing this to Kancolle is the probably the best possible comparison, haha.
Oct 3, 2016 7:41 PM

Feb 2016
IVE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS
im so happy that the other swords will be there AAAAAA
Oct 3, 2016 7:48 PM

Feb 2016
starlightshine said:
It amuses me that some guys' masculinity is so fragile that they feel threatened by bishounens and bishounen anime.

THIS ^^^^
if it was girls instead of guys they'd probably enjoy the show lol
its sad isnt it
Oct 3, 2016 7:50 PM

Feb 2016
Tsukkimaru said:

i was about to say this
straight boys just being straight boys™
Oct 3, 2016 8:47 PM

Jun 2009
Tsukkimaru said:

SERIOUSLY. These salty fanboys are making me laugh. xDDD "Oh they're guys this is terrible!" lmfao so is your yuri waifu crap

You have been blessed by sparkly bishie Cherry Blossom <3 You're welcome ^^

Oct 3, 2016 8:49 PM

Jun 2009
dategumi said:
starlightshine said:
It amuses me that some guys' masculinity is so fragile that they feel threatened by bishounens and bishounen anime.

THIS ^^^^
its sad isnt it

RIIIIIIGHT???? They love the crap out of KanColle but they don't see me trashing it because it's girls(though I have no intentions of watching it OR playing the game as I have zero interest in it. I'll take bishie sword boys over ship girls ANY day xDDD )

You have been blessed by sparkly bishie Cherry Blossom <3 You're welcome ^^

Oct 3, 2016 10:25 PM

Apr 2014
KittyxChan said:
dategumi said:

THIS ^^^^
its sad isnt it

RIIIIIIGHT???? They love the crap out of KanColle but they don't see me trashing it because it's girls(though I have no intentions of watching it OR playing the game as I have zero interest in it. I'll take bishie sword boys over ship girls ANY day xDDD )

this is way better than kancolle lol i bet you the current rating is because of tears and anger over them not being waifus.
Oct 3, 2016 10:38 PM

Feb 2012
Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru = Shinsengumi + bishounens = Hakuouki. And I am no fan of hakuouki..... why cant they create something like Rurouni Kenshin?
Oct 3, 2016 10:55 PM

Jul 2012
IFA1 said:
Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru = Shinsengumi + bishounens = Hakuouki. And I am no fan of hakuouki..... why cant they create something like Rurouni Kenshin?
Wait for the ufotable adaptation.

scarredfiend said:
KittyxChan said:

this is way better than kancolle lol i bet you the current rating is because of tears and anger over them not being waifus.
I agree, this series actually has history and backstories unlike Kancolle (which I heard doesn't have much of a story)
Oct 3, 2016 11:28 PM

Feb 2012
Mayuka said:
IFA1 said:

scarredfiend said:

I agree, this series actually has history and backstories unlike Kancolle (which I heard doesn't have much of a story)

It may be because we think samurai should be like Kenshin, Kyo, Jin, Mugen, etc. And when you love those characterisation from Rurouni Kenshin, samurai deeper kyo, Peace maker kurogane and samurai champloo, how can you accept the same character and types turned into bishounens. Well...I am not against other people's preferences but for me since I am already accustomed to such a different imagery of samurais so I can't accept hakuouki and likes.
Oct 4, 2016 12:04 AM

Apr 2014
IFA1 said:
Mayuka said:

It may be because we think samurai should be like Kenshin, Kyo, Jin, Mugen, etc. And when you love those characterisation from Rurouni Kenshin, samurai deeper kyo, Peace maker kurogane and samurai champloo, how can you accept the same character and types turned into bishounens. Well...I am not against other people's preferences but for me since I am already accustomed to such a different imagery of samurais so I can't accept hakuouki and likes.

rurouni kenshin has a big female audience tho
Oct 4, 2016 12:14 AM

Jul 2012
IFA1 said:
Mayuka said:

this is a game adaptation of a game targeted towards fujoshi and female game players
Oct 4, 2016 12:39 AM

Feb 2012
Mayuka said:
IFA1 said:

this is a game adaptation of a game targeted towards fujoshi and female game players

then it is fine. Didn't know that it was targeted at female anime community.
Oct 4, 2016 2:28 AM

Feb 2011
So this my first exposure to anything Touken Ranbu related. I have to say I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Really good art & animation, the fight scene with the demons was awesome. I like the characters designs too, although some are a bit weird.
Also, Kenji Kawai music :D Can't go wrong there, it reminded me of Ranma 1/2.

And yes I'm aware it's targeted towards women but frankly I don't really care because it left a good first impression. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Oct 4, 2016 3:21 AM

Oct 2015
Animation is bootiful!

BUT TRAPS EVERYWHEREEE!!

I'm not a big fan of this kind of anime but I'm interested in this a lot. It's just lots of traps. xD

But the character designs are a little bit normal to other anime. But I'm just confused if the characters are girls or boys because they wear jewelry and their hair is just... trapsssss!!

- Monthly Anime Club
- Youtube
Oct 4, 2016 4:45 AM
Jul 2018
Mayuka said:
Aedrin said:
He meant this guy. Maybe.
Oct 4, 2016 4:50 AM

May 2010
why did i watch this? XD i will keep turning my brain off to the end of this series.
Oct 4, 2016 5:11 AM

Jun 2015
Tsukkimaru said:

Dis.

I find it to be an amusing SoL for this episode so far (the fight scene though was weak).
Oct 4, 2016 5:12 AM

Jul 2012
Onii-chan said:
Mayuka said:
He meant this guy. Maybe.
thats one character and he doesn't even show up much

people must be blind if they see the others as females

Kyounkai said:
But I'm just confused if the characters are girls or boys because they wear jewelry and their hair is just... trapsssss!!
They're all male
Oct 4, 2016 5:15 AM

Jun 2014
More fujo trash with no substance what so ever. The whole episode was boring, too many uninteresting gay characters. The fights weren't that good either, I have no reason to to continue watching this bland garbage.

Dropped
:3
Oct 4, 2016 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
wtf guys
so daily life of a bunch of guys should be called gay, huh? You must be joking.
Touken Ranbu Hanamaru is more about daily life of sword guys with a little comedy and action. So, if you are looking another action based anime and serious plotline, wait untill the next adaptation by Ufotable.
Oct 4, 2016 6:29 AM

Apr 2008
Onii-chan said:
wtf guys
so daily life of a bunch of guys should be called gay, huh? You must be joking.
Touken Ranbu Hanamaru is more about daily life of sword guys with a little comedy and action. So, if you are looking another action based anime and serious plotline, wait untill the next adaptation by Ufotable.

For those people anything that has more than 3 guys and has cute-ish art style is gay and fujoshit.
Some people just love using those words for anything that has no waifu to drool over.

_____________"The Baseball team is here to f~ck you up" - Wakana
Oct 4, 2016 9:40 AM

May 2016
Ritsu said:
OMG..... OMG...... OMG....... YOU ARE TOO??!?!?! SLOW SCREAM OF AGONY N JOY..... OMG...... MY COMRADE....... -CLUTCHES YOU TIGHT AND SOBS INTO YOUR SHOULDER-.... MIKATSURU FTW............ OH BABIES.........

YESSS mikatsuru trash here =DDD so happy to see mikatsuru there.
And as expected, tsuru failed to trap jiji <33
im too excited to sleep these days, bc waiting the next eps next week!!!! like, when i imagine we can see tsuru AHHHH.

mikatsuruichi

Oct 4, 2016 9:43 AM

Nov 2011
Dropped it after the first episode. Extremely boring.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 4, 2016 12:34 PM

Jun 2013
the animation is good and that fight at the start was amazingbut then it got boring untill the fight
Oct 4, 2016 1:02 PM

Oct 2011
Shinsengumi sword turned to humans omg
😲
Whoa they are protecting history.
Great op.and ed song
Oct 4, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2011
sunose said:

YESSS mikatsuru trash here =DDD so happy to see mikatsuru there.
And as expected, tsuru failed to trap jiji <33
im too excited to sleep these days, bc waiting the next eps next week!!!! like, when i imagine we can see tsuru AHHHH.

I'll admit, this episode was nothing special, but that little scene in the opening made me so happy haha. Tsurumaru and Mikazuki are my favourites, so seeing them together like this feels so good!

I cannot wait for my Mikazuki figure to arrive now. Tsurumaru is lonely.

Man, for some reason I've been watching a lot of anime based on games lately, and I used to hate that sort of thing xD It's mostly Ufotable's fault, their adaptations are simply gorgeous! ...Except for God Eater. Ugh.
-content has been filtered for the use of inappropriate words or phrases-
Oct 4, 2016 4:46 PM

Feb 2016
scarredfiend said:
KittyxChan said:

100% agreed
people are so prudish lol
Oct 4, 2016 5:20 PM

Oct 2016
I'm assuming a lot of people who watched episode 1 don't know the source material. It would make more sdense if you played the game, tbh. But considering that its region locked to Japan, I don't blame you guys. Still- it was a good first episode IMO. Pacing, exposition and animation coulda been better but I liked it. Can't wait till Mikazuki appears!
Oct 4, 2016 5:26 PM

Oct 2016
KittyxChan said:
dategumi said:

THIS ^^^^
its sad isnt it

Totally agree with all of this. The double standards of the western Anime community, man. Male anime fans always getting their manties in a bunch BC they have one less Anime to f*p to lmao. You can't win em all.
Oct 4, 2016 8:00 PM

Oct 2008
MikazukiRanbu said:
KittyxChan said:

Totally agree with all of this. The double standards of the western Anime community, man. Male anime fans always getting their manties in a bunch BC they have one less Anime to f*p to lmao. You can't win em all.

It's not only in the western fandom, but happens a lot here because they have less access to information. That happens with all "nerd" communities and things targeted toward females.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Oct 4, 2016 8:34 PM

Jul 2014
This was just... ugh. I haven't got a problem with the way the guys look. It was just way, way too many characters being introduced all at once and a story that makes almost no sense. These guys used to be swords, I get it, but I'm just so confused (probably because I had lost interest and became distracted during the seemingly never ending introductions). And I didn't know it was based on a game until reading the comments here.
Oct 4, 2016 9:00 PM
Jul 2014
Hard pass on this. I will tune in for the main story in 2017 though.
Oct 4, 2016 11:39 PM

Oct 2015
I liked the music (though I like most anime music) This was kind of a boring episode but I'll try more.
Oct 5, 2016 12:37 AM
May 2012
As a fan of the game this was great... much better than what I was expecting. If it can keep around this quality for the whole season I'll be happy,
I think this one will be lighter while the ufotable one will be much darker.

What's with all the "too many pretty boys" comments? I personally don't like moeblob anime, but you don't see me going around to those kinds of shows, watching an ep, and then being surprised I don't like it! That's absurd. Since when is it unallowed for an anime to have only pretty men in it? If this keeps going on I'll just go over to every single harem anime and complain about all the women; it's only fair.
Oct 5, 2016 1:29 AM
Jul 2012
Well its good for daily life of sword guys with a little comedy and action. still dont know why ppl so salty . its like they watchin horror movie n say "horror movies is bad . Dropped" .

tbh i like traps character but i like em because em cute like girl . not as masculine males .

Looking Forward for the next episodes :D
Oct 5, 2016 2:44 AM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
Never played the game but I was always interested in it with the gorgeous fan art. (◕‿-) Hoping to see more of Nakigitsune, Ookurikara and Tsurumaru in both this and the Ufotable adaptation; as these three cuties are my faves. (♥‿♥)
Oct 5, 2016 5:09 AM

Feb 2010
Skeeturz said:
It was everything I wanted it to be and more

The only way this'll get a 10/10 for me though is if Horikawa becomes a main

Same here. But with Kane-san too. XD They do appear in the opening twice, so I really do hope they appear at least once in the anime. From the opening, maybe they are in charge of laundry duty, haha.

Overall, the anime really was way better than I was hoping for. I thought it'd be boring but it was really fun to watch, and even my friend who doesn't know/play the game and isn't into bishounen really enjoyed it too.
Oct 5, 2016 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
Went into this completely blind, but still pleasantly surprised. bishounen overload, but will check it out again next week.
Oct 5, 2016 8:43 AM
May 2014
I only recently got engrossed into the game a few weeks prior to the anime airing but this is everything I could ask for :D (asides from trying to remember everyone's names LOL) This might be a hit-or-miss and/or even turn off for a lot of people who don't understand the plot or inside jokes but hopefully everyone can enjoy this version with a open mind being that this is a SOL anime
fishychooOct 5, 2016 6:06 PM
Oct 5, 2016 10:22 AM
Feb 2016
Seems like I've seen something related to this before yet can't remember :'( Well, tried to pick up history-related anime and an author that I like talked about this anime so that pushed me to try and watch this. Personally I don't really know much about Japan's historical story so I do hope that this anime can explain or give basic information about it. Currently everything is going on a good start, animation is good, music is good as well and of course usually females would love having 17 guys to look at and as do I if only I didn't have trouble in remembering their names ;_ ;
Oct 5, 2016 10:44 AM

May 2008
I was pleasantly surprised really, it was a lot of fun. I'll probably continue watching as more gets released.
I had heard of it before, but i never played the game. Only seen people post pictures and talk about it online.
Won't say no to more gorgeous guys though.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2016

33 by lunarches »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:12 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2016

33 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:15 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2016

22 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:07 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2016

12 by iamafreak »»
Feb 15, 2023 5:59 PM

» Should I watch Touken Ranbu Hanamaru?

RuiZleipa - Jan 28, 2018

6 by Konani »»
Jan 20, 2019 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.