Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 19, 2016 9:00 AM

May 2009
alinet86 said:
Did anyone really think Ash/Satoshi gonna win. Like seriously I will feel bad the moment he will let go of that Gekkouga/Greninja. Wait till the next region and we will see more of this. X)

P/s: Was actually surprised with his pokemon he beat Shouta. That some bs in pokemon fighting there. Too bad he can't beat Alan in these but still hey got into top 2. Good for him. X)

If you actually watched the series, there was an immense build up regarding Ash- Greninja to the point he declared his victory in the first round. Countless characters talking as if Greninja is an unstoppable monster, being on the verge of defeating the champion her Gardevoir. Yea, that is why we are suprised.
Aug 19, 2016 10:01 AM

Jan 2016
What pisses me off a lot is Alain's Charizard... He was FRESH after receiving neutral damage from a heavily boosted Water Shuriken while Greninja, as a Water/Dark type he is, got creamed by a move like Blast Burn lol It's like it implied Charizard was winning from the very beginning.

It won't satisfy anyone if during the Team Flare Arc, Ash gets another chance to fight Alain and win :/
THANKS SENPIEX
Aug 19, 2016 11:27 AM

Oct 2014
Hachinozen said:
ETX said:
People seem to be misunderstanding that the Kalos League is the B-plot. The Team Flare Arc is the A-Plot and is what they've wanted to focus on more.

Even though it is disappointing that Ash lost, he put up a great fight and came 2nd.

So, 19 years of watching every League in the Anime just to watch Ash battle Team Flare? You have one great sense of humor.

I'm not sure if you didn't read what I said or you're still upset that he lost again.

What I was saying is that between the Kalos League and the Team Flare arc, the latter is now the MAIN event for the XY/XY&Z anime. Not the ENTIRE anime as a whole. The league is over and done with, the final battle ended anti-climatically and as pushed aside instantly for the Team Flare arc.
ETXAug 19, 2016 11:31 AM

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
Aug 19, 2016 12:33 PM

Jul 2008
Floyd_ said:
What pisses me off a lot is Alain's Charizard... He was FRESH after receiving neutral damage from a heavily boosted Water Shuriken while Greninja, as a Water/Dark type he is, got creamed by a move like Blast Burn lol It's like it implied Charizard was winning from the very beginning.

It won't satisfy anyone if during the Team Flare Arc, Ash gets another chance to fight Alain and win :/

And that's after Pikachu got him panting and literary on his knee before fighting Gekkouga. Like Mega evolve is a free Hyper Potion now or something. If they wanted Ash to lose this badly plot wise, they should've gone the recoil damage route. Simply said, Ash is the one who faints from the stress of multiple Gekkouga fights in a short period.

Every big Ash lose is contested and arguably hated up to a point and considering the importance of this bout no result except victory would have been accepted. But to lose like this ? That's what it makes so hard to swallow. At least with Tobias you could say he bested 2 legendaries.

Anyway, Zygarde arc and his importance on Kalos has been hyped since Olympia so ehh. That arguably is the Crown sitting on the top of the Kalos arc not this rushed League. Unfortunately though, I cant bring myself to get hyped for it BECAUSE of said League.

Darkblaz3r said:
Well the rate is one of the worst in anime history talking about Japan for pokemon
Pokémon XY & Z TV Tokyo August 11 (Thurs) 18:55 30 min. Average rating 2.0

That's a steep drop off ESPECIALLY since this was the Final of a League, hype of the charts. I really am interested in the results and fan rating of the next few episodes. How will Pokemon recover...
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Aug 19, 2016 12:57 PM
Jul 2016
ETX said:

I'm not sure if you didn't read what I said or you're still upset that he lost again.

What I was saying is that between the Kalos League and the Team Flare arc, the latter is now the MAIN event for the XY/XY&Z anime. Not the ENTIRE anime as a whole. The league is over and done with, the final battle ended anti-climatically and as pushed aside instantly for the Team Flare arc.

well, they should consider what's more important next time...
cuz -in my opinion- team flare is the weakest team in all of pokemon...
i mean, by rep...

it would've been way better to have an rushed flare arc than an rushed league...
Aug 19, 2016 2:11 PM

Mar 2015
Sceptile battle was a lot better
Aug 19, 2016 3:21 PM
Dec 2013
alinet86 said:

P/s: Was actually surprised with his pokemon he beat Shouta. That some bs in pokemon fighting there. Too bad he can't beat Alan in these but still hey got into top 2. Good for him. X)

It did 2.0 for two weeks, but the week before it did 3.0, and before that 3.4. I think this is only a period (i don't know, august is bad?) and, like always, not a consequence of this episodes.
Also, a lot of other series went down. Maybe olympics things..
robertoglAug 19, 2016 3:26 PM
Aug 20, 2016 4:09 AM

Dec 2011
No. Not again. Argh. >.<
I kinda hate that Charizard is the most damaged one and Greninja is pretty healthy and type advantage too. -_-

Kinda disappointed that they have to do the Team Flare now in this episode, I wish they poured all of the remaining minutes to the battle.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2016 1:30 PM
Jul 2012
This is truly heart-breakening.

Everything was in Ash's favour. The plot, the type advantage, the damage that Mega Charizard receive prior to Greninja, Greninja's attacks on Charizard, the loss of two matches with Alan before, the orange water shrunken (which was solely under hyped in the episode compared to match with Shouta), Greninja's unique form, and Ash's development. Can't believe Greninja only lost after a couple of hits versus Sceptile's super effective hits.

How could this have happen? Why did some other writer take up this match? Why was the writer of Ash vs Shouta not writing this episode?

I have never felt so frustrated with an anime or even show in such a long time.

If Ash can't win this league, then I don't expect Ash to ever win again unless he somehow goes into a league with all his older Pokemons, but I highly doubt it will ever happen again.

tldr; Ash, why are you cursed? Feels like going through an amazing game only to be left with an atrocious ending that demolishes character development and made the whole adventure worthless.

P.S. There could of been other ways for this to conclude neatly. Ideal being Ash winning. Though, Ash and him tying would of been as satisfying or if Mega Charizard fell as well but Greninja fell first would of been at least more manageable.
AgkAug 20, 2016 3:56 PM
Aug 20, 2016 3:14 PM

May 2009
This might not be it guys, it seems like Alain comes in question by many theorists. He was gathering Mega Energy, does this weaken pokémon? More things come in question when you start to analyze the plot. We'll see how it'll all end, but I do think that they won't leave it at this.
Aug 20, 2016 7:53 PM
Jun 2015
Seriously, this episode SUCKED! How did Greninja lose to a freaking Charizard?! The whole battle was bs. HOWEVER, I feel like there's more to this episode than simply what happened. After re-watching the episode, towards the beginning, the one character (I think is Malva? Don't remember her name) started talking when Ash sent out Greninja, saying "Satoshi has sent out Gekkouga. That is Satoshi's last pokemon. The moment Gekkouga's defea-", and is then cut off by Team Rocket, where Jesse questions her choice of words. Little suspicious, no? "THE MOMENT GEKKOUGA'S DEFEA-", with it obviously being "defeated". So this brings up the question: what are the writers actually planning? Either A. Alain turns out to be a cheater and/or something happened to "rig" the fight ( maybe during the giant explosion at the end right before Greninja falls?), B. The writers are just huge trollers, or C. It was just thrown in for the heck of it. But still, that part makes me wonder if there's something else going on?
Aug 21, 2016 12:09 AM

Jul 2014
Floyd_ said:
Hyack said:
It went up during the Kalos league from 7.77 to 7.91 and after the episode of today it dropped to 7.84

Well, it was the best trolling the writer could ever do, talking about this league lol

Man it was like this entire season was just to troll the fans in the worst way possible. I really wanted Satoshi to murder that dudes team. It sucks so damn bad to lose yet again.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Aug 21, 2016 12:23 AM

May 2009
KTrooper101 said:
Seriously, this episode SUCKED! How did Greninja lose to a freaking Charizard?! The whole battle was bs. HOWEVER, I feel like there's more to this episode than simply what happened. After re-watching the episode, towards the beginning, the one character (I think is Malva? Don't remember her name) started talking when Ash sent out Greninja, saying "Satoshi has sent out Gekkouga. That is Satoshi's last pokemon. The moment Gekkouga's defea-", and is then cut off by Team Rocket, where Jesse questions her choice of words. Little suspicious, no? "THE MOMENT GEKKOUGA'S DEFEA-", with it obviously being "defeated". So this brings up the question: what are the writers actually planning? Either A. Alain turns out to be a cheater and/or something happened to "rig" the fight ( maybe during the giant explosion at the end right before Greninja falls?), B. The writers are just huge trollers, or C. It was just thrown in for the heck of it. But still, that part makes me wonder if there's something else going on?

It was rigged, for plot reasons. I do not think this is the end of everything.
Aug 21, 2016 11:52 AM

Jun 2013
The fight was spectacular... Honestly, it was great... But all that hype from the battle was instantly shot down the moment Greninja Lost... I can't believe it. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm done... Very done... Satoshi had such a good run... Why did they even hype that super shurikan? I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS DANGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I won't be changing my "Best Pokemon Battle Ever" now.
Mega Sceptile vs. Satoshi-Greninja remains the best fight to date for me!!!!
Really strong start, horrible ending.

My last hope is that hey finally end this XY&Z series with Ash getting the girl or something.
OMG, I HOPE SERENA DOESN'T PULL SOME "I NEED TO LET ASH BE FREE BECAUSE THATS WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT HIM" TROPE!!!!!
Just came to mind and now I'm crying.
Aug 21, 2016 1:13 PM

Jul 2008
AzuDahaka said:
The fight was spectacular... Honestly, it was great... But all that hype from the battle was instantly shot down the moment Greninja Lost... I can't believe it. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm done... Very done... Satoshi had such a good run... Why did they even hype that super shurikan? I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS DANGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My last hope is that hey finally end this XY&Z series with Ash getting the girl or something.
OMG, I HOPE SERENA DOESN'T PULL SOME "I NEED TO LET ASH BE FREE BECAUSE THATS WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT HIM" TROPE!!!!!

Her exit has already been prepared though. She got her contests.
Still, Olympia already told us, Gekkouga plot will be resolved in the Flare arc not the League. Awesome Shuriken might return.

Anyway, yeah we are all heartbroken and really if this was any other show... But we have stuck around this long, lets watch Ash save the entirety of Kalos!
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Aug 22, 2016 6:25 AM

Feb 2011
I had a little bit of hope that he would win.. I guess I shouldn't have that hope <.<
Aug 22, 2016 7:39 PM

Jun 2013
Punkbeetle said:
AzuDahaka said:

Her exit has already been prepared though. She got her contests.
Still, Olympia already told us, Gekkouga plot will be resolved in the Flare arc not the League. Awesome Shuriken might return.

Anyway, yeah we are all heartbroken and really if this was any other show... But we have stuck around this long, lets watch Ash save the entirety of Kalos!

I give up on Pokemon company.
Something needs to change... A mass boycot or SOMETHING!!!!
This is too ridiculous.
I feel like absolute trash when I think about the latest episode.
Aug 23, 2016 3:08 AM
Jun 2016
😢 ash you will always be my #2 ❤️
Aug 23, 2016 4:37 PM

Jan 2014
That was very disappointing. It took me almost a week to get over the fact the he lost.

I'm guessing that next arc is similar to orange island where there will only be training involved and some competition. Maybe he'll go back to indigo after the training and re challenge every league and this time he'll win them all.

At this point I really don't care anymore, this is arguably the best season that Pokemon has to offer and there is always a next arc.
Recommend me an anime
Aug 24, 2016 3:29 PM

Dec 2015
Last night prior XY&Z 39 exhibition, but ok...
Honestly, the league conclusion actually fled to our expectations. I was believing that Satoshi could win and wednesday (17) night I was thinking "right, let's face that, based on the last leagues, especially Sinnoh, he's gonna lose."
Buuuut, besides Satoshi and Gekkouga relation build up, Alain's victory was more consistent to fit into the plot. He deserved to win? Certainly not, but he needed!
Also, Satoshi haven't lost to a random and unknown character, this time we met Alain and saw the construction of his character from the special - and frankly, the anime in Kalos was for him his and not to Satoshi (Something we might not clearly realize, and even not those who just watch League episodes to criticize the character)!!

Final Considerations
- Even if I'm justifying Satoshi's defeat, I 'm still disappointed :/ (deep inside I wanted to believe in victory)
- Animation was just AWESOME!!!
- Never expected a final like that - Lysandre proved to be a true villain and started playing terror in Kalos (Was wishing for this since the first special)!!
-This episode was written by Shinzou Fujita hmmm... Prefer to trust that Atsuhiro Tomioka would make a different ending!!
Sep 2, 2016 5:59 PM
Jan 2014
I'm kind of not surprised Ash lost at this point. It's disappointing as a long time fan to say the least, but i also expected it. Mostly because, Alain is a trainer who goes out of his way to fight mega-evolved pokemon with his Charizard. Also lets not forget in the mega-evolution special, he beat 9 straight mega-evolved pokemon in a row without any rest in between. He's also beaten one member of the Kalos Elite 4 as well and gone toe to toe with Steven's mega-metagross and primal groudon. So yea, it sucks Ash didn't get the win but lets not overlook the fact that mega-charizard x is an extremely strong/resilient pokemon.
Sep 15, 2016 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
Seriously, what was the point of building everything up the way they did and then give us this? And after seeing that short Sun & Moon PV it might be time to finally drop the Pokémon anime. A shame, really, it's not like they'd need to put in that much effort to satisfy both kids and older fans. Might as well just consider the anime ended with DP.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the Team Flare arc either.
Sep 15, 2016 9:21 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
jlvyn14 said:
I don't know why pokemons creative want ash to lose. It's not going to hurt his image or anything... if anything losing this hurts it more

Probably because they want Ash to keep learning from his mistakes. Plus their logic is that not everyone keeps up with the show. They think each season is full of new fans who are watching Pokemon for the first time which is why Ash always loses.

It's quite sad to see because one would think by now he'd have what it takes to win. He's got many strong Pokemon he can call upon. Just imagine a team of Greninja, Charizard, Sceptile, Snorlax, Torterra and Krookdile.

Shoryuuken said:
Isn't it just funny that Ash lost the league because of a Charizard TWICE? lmfao It went from the most loved pokemon to the most hated pokémon in less then 24 hours.

Make that 3 times.

Kanto
Johto
Kalos

I bet somewhere in the Charizard Valley Charla is telling Ash's Charizard that could have been you in the Kalos League but instead you're here doing errands for Liza. lol

Overall Ash did a great job. Won't take that away from him. He gave it everything he had but well sometimes Pokemon don't want to stay down.
That Team Flare Arc better be good.

Sep 16, 2016 5:33 PM

Mar 2016
While I'm disappointed to see Ash lose just like anybody else I'm more excited for what's going down in the Team Flare Arc. As for all the hate well it really depends on your perspective. If you look at the past 20 years of the show it becomes rather frustrating as we see in the Kalos seasons that Ash has grown significantly; however, when you look at it from just the perspective of XY and XY&Z I don't see that growth. Throughout the season we don't really see Ash struggle much until the episodes leading up to him winning his 8th badge. Besides losing his first and eighth gym battles the first time every other major battle was won rather handily. Meanwhile, we have Alain who also is shown to be rather OP in his own way. Their was a point right before the final attack when Alain has a short flashback about Marin and that's when I knew he would win. Alain simply had more motivation. To put it bluntly he won because he's a better developed character.
Sep 18, 2016 8:05 PM

Jul 2009
sfnshkasfhsdhsfdhfuiedks Jesus F*cking Christ. WILL HE EVER GODDAMN WIN????!!! SDGHSHGKDHDGGHSDDGSD

THAT WAS SO DUMB. EVERYTHING SHOULD'VE LEAD TO HIS VICTORY BUT HIS DUMB 10 YEAR OLD ASS STILL LOST!
SKGJGJSDGGGL;DSJGSD

I'm done. Satoshi is forever a loser.
Nov 5, 2016 2:02 PM

Mar 2014
I know why they won't let Ash win the league. Because that's his dream: to become a Pokemon master, and the pinnacle of this is winning the Pokemon league.

If he were to actually achieve this dream, the journey would be over. The writers need Ash to lose so he can have a reason to keep journeying to get stronger. I'd expect Ash to finally win the league only when the Pokemon franchise is at it's end, with no new games or seasons coming.

It would be really refreshing though if they let him win for once to reboot the series with a new main character though...
Nov 24, 2016 5:33 AM

Nov 2014
Lol at the salt.. While i did think of a small possibility for Ash to win (given that this is final we're talking about) but in the end, i'm not really that surprise either that he lost.. Like some members above said, Pokemon is supposed to be a long advertisement for the games and if Ash win the league, he'll basically a Champion and for sure it would be pretty ridiculous if said Champion actually lost to some random trainer or gym leader in the next generation.. I did have some disappointment that he lost though and i also felt bad for him after all the buildup and hype.. But in the end, it's still not unexpected IMO..

Well, for the episode itself.. I thought that it's the best battle so far, action wise.. (still nowhere near as good as Ash vs Paul battle in term of tactic/strategy).. The animation is a top-notch and really a bliss to see.. It's just that the tactic were a bit too simple to my liking.. One thing that i don't really like in this final is how all the pseudo legends were a jobber.. Tyranitar, Metagross, and Goodra lost without even beating at least 1 of their opponent's pokemon.. Instead some pokemon like Bisharp had 2 K.O (I know it has guillotine but still) which is pretty disappointed..

On the other hand Pikachu was a boss in this episode, beating 2 pseudo-legend and still capable to give some good fight to Charizard, props to him i guess.. And the last battle between Charizard vs Greninja is great indeed (although i myself questioning the fact that it got beat by a frickin Blast Burn) but i guess in the end it's an anime logic..

In the end, i guess Kalos League is definitely one of the best league in Pokemon so far (only lost to DP IMO) and it's pretty impressive given my opinion toward it was pretty negative after 2 rushed episodes, but i guess the semi-final and final battle made me satisfied.. So with this, the Kalos league is over and the anime didn't even have a chill and directly move forward to the Team Flare Arc.. Truthfully i want to see Ash vs Alan one more time and for this time, i want Ash to beat him for good.. So, looking forward to the next episode for sure..

5/5
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Nov 26, 2016 10:19 PM

Dec 2012
I was going to write an essay as many of you saw from me in the previous episodes, but I don't have it in me after the BS that happened. Trash episode. Battle wasn't even that great compared to the battle with Shota. They played "XYZ: Number One" version early in the battle and chose it over the regular version. That gave away the outcome. Plus, Odd Eyes Lizardon Dragon X's Blast Burn hit Satoshi Gekkouga before Satoshi Gekkouga's Ki Circle Slash Mizu Shuriken hit it. Over 130 episodes of XY and this was the worst episode in the series. The one single negative in this series. I knew not bringing Lizardon would cost Satoshi a win. smh I would have been content with the match ending in a draw. It would not have negated all of Satoshi's growth in Kalos and I would still want to watch the next episode. Yes, I feel like dropping it, but the completionist in me won't let that happen. It's going to go downhill from here. Gojika is a fraud. I'm reporting her. Hope her gym gets closed down.

Vysarine said:
I know why they won't let Ash win the league. Because that's his dream: to become a Pokemon master, and the pinnacle of this is winning the Pokemon league.

If he were to actually achieve this dream, the journey would be over.

Winning one League does not make you a Pokemon Master. It means you won one League. The journey to be a master continues. By your logic, Satoshi already became a Pokemon Master since he won the Orange League even if its filler and is stated that trainers there are even tougher than the one's in the Sekiei League, which he lost in.
RobDec 3, 2016 8:56 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 12, 2017 11:19 AM

Jul 2013
I watched this when it aired on CITV but had no WiFi until now, so it was weeks ago, so I barely remember it.

It was a really awesome battle though and I can't believe that after all that Ash lost!

He definitely should've won even though Alain is strong too and I do love Alain.
Mar 11, 2017 8:12 PM
Mar 2015
Here's Greninja pulling out this giant Rasen (Water) Shuriken, launches it at Alan's Charizard and still get's wrecked in the end. That ending was almost like the last Pokemon Origins episode where Red's Charizard defeated Green's Blastoise with a Fire Blast.

Was still a good episode in my eyes.
Apr 9, 2017 9:49 PM
May 2010
To be fair, it was a really great pair of two episodes in spite of the ending. That was an AMAZING battle. Aside from Noivern and maybe Goodra (who ended up helping out by providing Rain Dance anyway), everyone was in top form and pulled some amazing strategies, particularly Pikachu who knocked out TWO OU-tier Pokemon, Tyranitar and Metagross! I just wish Ash had been smart enough to withdraw Pikachu after beating Metagross. Pikachu is a glass cannon, more capable of hit-and-run technique. If he did it, he would have surely been able to chip off the last remaining health of Mega Charizard X.

But damn, these two episodes went better than I expected. I was a little disappointed by the time Goodra got knocked out, but everything before that surpassed my negative expectations when I had heard Ash was gonna lose the League again. This loss really seems trivial in hindsight, considering how well Ash already did. He was SO close! God, if only he's given another chance to do this well again in the Alola League, he would surely win!
Jul 15, 2017 3:22 AM
Jul 2016
Greninja Serena and Ash's badass design will never be forgotten <3
Dec 2, 2023 12:33 AM

Feb 2020
Mais uma vitória roubada do menino Satoshi
Jun 6, 12:36 PM
Jan 2024
pain ash should've won, haunts me 5 years after watching
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 28 Discussion

ETX - May 26, 2016

32 by PrOxAnto »»
Jun 24, 7:43 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 27 Discussion

ETX - May 19, 2016

23 by PrOxAnto »»
Jun 24, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 26 Discussion

ETX - May 12, 2016

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Jun 24, 7:37 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 25 Discussion

ETX - May 5, 2016

18 by PrOxAnto »»
Jun 24, 7:36 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 24 Discussion

ETX - Apr 28, 2016

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Jun 24, 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.