Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 11, 2016 12:39 AM

Apr 2015
Internet dating can be a little dangerous,
however i do believe its a good thing,
i probably wouldnt try it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2016 12:51 AM

May 2015
I wouldn't do it. I need the physical contact. If it works for some people then great, but I can't imagine a relationship without the physical intimacy. This intimacy is important. It what makes it different than other relationships.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 11, 2016 12:53 AM

May 2015
I would probably not do it.
would feel like more of a loser than I already am.
Feb 11, 2016 8:18 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
I wouldn't do it. I need the physical contact. If it works for some people then great, but I can't imagine a relationship without the physical intimacy. This intimacy is important. It what makes it different than other relationships.

If you think it's physical intimacy that makes a romantic relationship different from a "regular one", something tells me you've probably never been in love before.

Anyhow, to answer the OP:
Online dating isn't that much different from "regular" dating. Anyone that thinks it's "pathetic" or some such are quite frankly narrow-minded, and limiting their own options ("I MUST fall in love with someone I've met in real life!! There is no other option!!")
As long as you possess the average number of brain cells and use common sense, there's no reason why it can't work out. If it doesn't, too bad; believe or not, but the more "old fashioned" form of dating and relationships have about the same failure rate as "online dating". If you're worried about what people might think of you over meeting someone online, you're almost definitely not mature enough for a serious relationship yet anyway.
Feb 11, 2016 8:25 AM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

If you think it's physical intimacy that makes a romantic relationship different from a "regular one", something tells me you've probably never been in love before.

Anyhow, to answer the OP:
Online dating isn't that much different from "regular" dating. Anyone that thinks it's "pathetic" or some such are quite frankly narrow-minded, and limiting their own options ("I MUST fall in love with someone I've met in real life!! There is no other option!!")
As long as you possess the average number of brain cells and use common sense, there's no reason why it can't work out. If it doesn't, too bad; believe or not, but the more "old fashioned" form of dating and relationships have about the same failure rate as "online dating". If you're worried about what people might think of you over meeting someone online, you're almost definitely not mature enough for a serious relationship yet anyway.

Well, no one has yet to define love as something other than "the only person you have sex with". So far, it seems it's necessary.
Feb 11, 2016 8:27 AM

Dec 2013
Andomarn said:
Not this shit again.
Go out and meet people.
Internet dating doesn't work.

Let's do this sweede.

Doesn't work for what? What would be the supposed criteria to make it work assuming it did?
Feb 11, 2016 8:37 AM

Mar 2012
Online dating is for weak human beings without enough balls who can't even go tell a person they have interest in that they like them.
The lack of confidence is real, anyway MAL is a dating site for Australians.

Yes, I am CD 2.0's overlord.
Feb 11, 2016 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
MrHawkeye said:
Andomarn said:
Not this shit again.
Go out and meet people.

Let's do this sweede.

Doesn't work for what? What would be the supposed criteria to make it work assuming it did?

It's not even dating anymore when it's online.
Might as well call it Online Interaction with Unnecessary Trust.
What, you're going to go on dates browing the internet?
Eat dinner at a high-class restaurant on Penguin Club?
"dating"
Feb 11, 2016 8:55 AM

Jun 2011
Like all relationships, it does require investment. Online relationships require even more so especially if they are over incredibly long distances (i.e. different country/continent/planet/etc). I'm fine with people who date online so long as they are both happy and willing to commit, which can be hard due to the lack of physical proximity, as things can be done "behind the partners back" without them even knowing. So they are super risky and fragile but if the couple can pull through (which does happen, not often though), then maybe great things can come from it. It isn't easy though.
SolosFeb 11, 2016 8:59 AM

Feb 11, 2016 9:02 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Well, no one has yet to define love as something other than "the only person you have sex with". So far, it seems it's necessary.

Bullshit, plenty of people throughout literally centuries of human's time on this planet have defined their own feelings and thoughts towards what "love" is. A lot of them interlink and mostly come to the same conclusion on the feeling. If you think "love" is simply "two people exclusively having sex with each other", you might as well be a child that's just heard about how babies are made when a mummy and a daddy "really really love each other".
Sorry to be harsh, but come on, this stuff is basic; you don't have to be in love with another person to have sex with them.
Feb 11, 2016 9:11 AM

Dec 2013
Andomarn said:
MrHawkeye said:

Let's do this sweede.

It's not even dating anymore when it's online.
Might as well call it Online Interaction with Unnecessary Trust.
What, you're going to go on dates browing the internet?
Eat dinner at a high-class restaurant on Penguin Club?
"dating"

Why not? Define what dating is, don't want to get into pointless semantics. Assuming it's ''Spending time together'' I fail to see how that cannot be done on the internet. If your goal is to be intimate then of course it is doomed to fail, however it is possible that people who wish to internet date don't consider meeting up as their goal at all, and are content with the lack of intimacy.

Before the internet you had pen pals, and before a good postal service you had a poet and his lovely muse - this is a special relationship when you consider that the muse never really interacts romantically with the poet, while the poet sinks into unfulfilled love which in his eyes is more satisfying than the standard definition of ''dating''
Feb 11, 2016 9:14 AM
Apr 2013
I have voted no opinion for now as I'm not really sure
but I would guess there's no harm in it
Feb 11, 2016 9:27 AM
Jun 2014
Andomarn said:
Not this shit again.
Go out and meet people.

You're wrong, it's worked for some people but it doesn't work for everyone. I used to chat with a married couple. They lived in different countries before they got married settled down in England.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Feb 11, 2016 9:55 AM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Bullshit, plenty of people throughout literally centuries of human's time on this planet have defined their own feelings and thoughts towards what "love" is. A lot of them interlink and mostly come to the same conclusion on the feeling. If you think "love" is simply "two people exclusively having sex with each other", you might as well be a child that's just heard about how babies are made when a mummy and a daddy "really really love each other".
Sorry to be harsh, but come on, this stuff is basic; you don't have to be in love with another person to have sex with them.

Then what is love, then? What's the definition? How can I take it seriously unless I have a definition? What separates romantic relationship from friendship?
Feb 11, 2016 1:41 PM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Then what is love, then? What's the definition? How can I take it seriously unless I have a definition? What separates romantic relationship from friendship?

You can find definitions on Google, you know that, right?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Definiton+of+love
Feb 12, 2016 12:51 AM

Oct 2014
Of course dating on the internet can be dangerous, anything can be.

I'm sure for some people dating on the internet/online can be good. Also for many it can be a bad experience.

Given a number of circumstances, I guess I'd date someone online (I have before)... why not?

I've dated two people through the internet. They were both very different experiences.
Feb 12, 2016 1:12 AM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You can find definitions on Google, you know that, right?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Definiton+of+love

'A deep affection for someone' is also between parent and child, friend and friend, soldier and commander, person and music album. What's the definition of romantic love? What makes it so different?
Feb 12, 2016 1:34 AM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
What's the definition of romantic love?

Ever stop to think there just isn't one?
Feb 12, 2016 1:52 AM

May 2015
crestofhonesty said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
What's the definition of romantic love?

Then there are no romantic relationship. It's a meaningless distinction and I cannot be in a relationship, because of the nature of romance.
Feb 12, 2016 3:15 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
crestofhonesty said:

Then there are no romantic relationship. It's a meaningless distinction and I cannot be in a relationship, because of the nature of romance.

There's no distinct definition for why or how we exist either. I guess that also means we don't exist.
Feb 12, 2016 3:29 AM

Aug 2009
Wonder how long it'll last without the physical benefits.
Feb 12, 2016 7:39 AM

May 2014
Personally, I wouldn't date someone online. No matter how you guys label each other, it doesn't change the fact that the relationship is empty, no substance. At the very least, I would want to hug/be hugged by the person that I like.
Feb 12, 2016 7:46 AM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

There's no distinct definition for why or how we exist either. I guess that also means we don't exist.

There are far more convincing theories of 'how we exist' than definitions for romantic love. At least people attempted to define existence.
Feb 12, 2016 8:27 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

There are far more convincing theories of 'how we exist' than definitions for romantic love. At least people attempted to define existence.

You need to drop this mindset of being oh so "logical" and "rational" for everything. Sure, it can definitely help you, and I think it's a good idea to keep your feet firmly planted on the ground, but just make sure you aren't so planted that your feet start growing roots and embedding themselves in the Earth.
Not everything can be explained in simple textbook snippets that everyone can easily understand. The world isn't so clear cut and basic, and if you fail to realise that, you probably aren't quite as "logical" as you might like to think.

As I said previously, it doesn't seem like you've ever been in love before. Once you do fall in love, you won't be grasping for straws any more since you'll already have first hand experience of how it "feels". Until then, stop worrying about so much about what love (or romantic relationships) "is" or "isn't". There's plenty of things in life you can't know the answers to unless you experience them yourself.
Feb 13, 2016 12:17 AM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You need to drop this mindset of being oh so "logical" and "rational" for everything. Sure, it can definitely help you, and I think it's a good idea to keep your feet firmly planted on the ground, but just make sure you aren't so planted that your feet start growing roots and embedding themselves in the Earth.
Not everything can be explained in simple textbook snippets that everyone can easily understand. The world isn't so clear cut and basic, and if you fail to realise that, you probably aren't quite as "logical" as you might like to think.

As I said previously, it doesn't seem like you've ever been in love before. Once you do fall in love, you won't be grasping for straws any more since you'll already have first hand experience of how it "feels". Until then, stop worrying about so much about what love (or romantic relationships) "is" or "isn't". There's plenty of things in life you can't know the answers to unless you experience them yourself.

But how do I know if I feel it, if I don't know what it is?

I know I can't have all the answers and will never have. I don't ask for the definitive answer. I just want some model I can work with, some direction.
Feb 13, 2016 3:39 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
But how do I know if I feel it, if I don't know what it is?

I know I can't have all the answers and will never have. I don't ask for the definitive answer. I just want some model I can work with, some direction.

How did you know when you felt hungry for the first time, if no one explained to you prior what feeling hungry "is"?
When you feel it, you'll know what it is. You don't need everything explained to you, that's what human intuition is for.
Apr 9, 2016 10:58 PM
Jul 2012
what sucks even more is when someone ignores you with the odd most intensity they hate you so much they wanna murder you but then again there's this little chance called hope and faith and if you never give up good things come out of it. A certain someone has deserted me and won't even talk to me just acting like i'm a ghost. But will online dating work hell yeah it would.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you deem gratuitously killing insects immoral?

vasipi4946 - May 10

33 by Daviljoe193 »»
54 minutes ago

» Many COVID experts in Japan harassed after speaking to media, survey shows

Meusnier - May 22

11 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

44 by MalchikRepaid »»
2 hours ago

» How do you deal with spam texts?

4630_Yen_Chan - Yesterday

14 by Serafos »»
2 hours ago

» what's the first thing you would do if you wake up in your middle school/high school years tomorrow morning?

FruitPunchBaka - May 23

28 by leuscius »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.