Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2015 3:15 PM

Aug 2009
something other than gangsta/durara!! to watch really not interested in any of the other new releases the time round.
Jul 7, 2015 3:15 PM

Aug 2014
Decent start for now, not the best and I didn't feel quite interested as of yet. I hope Madhouse can pull this off somewhat well.
Jul 7, 2015 3:30 PM

Jan 2013
sosmetal said:

On another note. Did anyone notice the stuttering when the camera panned? I hope it wasn't only me. Thought it was having some fps slowdowns or that it wasn't encoded well. Could be a one-off thing. Hopefully the quality of the show is upped next episode.

y i noticed that 2

So is the MC gonna die of starvation and dehydration or what ?
Jul 7, 2015 3:34 PM

Oct 2014
Seemed like an introduction to the game and characters and the concepts
Probably gonna have more action stuff in the next few episodes
Jul 7, 2015 3:35 PM

Apr 2009
good start so happy for all the new fantasy animes and this one seems different compared to the other online game animes

sosmetal said:
I thought it was OK. Not much was revealed this episode aside from being trapped and having NPCs pledge allegiance. It definitely feels Log Horizon-esque as a first impression.

I'll wait for another episode to see the rest of the world but from the onset it doesn't seem detailed to me and doesn't really stand out. The characters didn't seem that interesting to me as well aside from the MC, Albedo and Shalltear. So I guess it'll have to be good story wise to keep me interested.

MC being an undead avatar is interesting though. Would like to see some Human characters to see if there is some rift between the factions. This guy can't be evil right? He doesn't seem that way to me.

On another note. Did anyone notice the stuttering when the camera panned? I hope it wasn't only me. Thought it was having some fps slowdowns or that it wasn't encoded well. Could be a one-off thing. Hopefully the quality of the show is upped next episode.

if it goes in the log direction that would be good , and i think he is evil? hes from the top guild means he crushed alot of guilds to get powerful and the stuttering seems like fps drop i think that was cool

what are your fave fantasy animes atm
Jul 7, 2015 3:35 PM

Apr 2009
juicykitten95 said:
sosmetal said:

y i noticed that 2

So is the MC gonna die of starvation and dehydration or what ?

i think hes been teleported to another world aka his real life character has become this character and hes in another world? well thats what i think

sort of like no game no life

bestie said:
something other than gangsta/durara!! to watch really not interested in any of the other new releases the time round.

there are alot of good fantasy animes atm , so if you like this you should like the rest check my animelist
Jul 7, 2015 3:45 PM

Aug 2014
It looks like a decent time waster, I don't expect anything exceptional though.
Jul 7, 2015 3:48 PM

Jul 2014
3/10
Jul 7, 2015 3:51 PM

Feb 2013
I read the manga which had very little chaps so the anime will hopefully satisfy my craving

Hara Yumi at her bestttttt

And i found the ed pretty enjoyable
Jul 7, 2015 3:55 PM
Jul 2013
idk its okay so far
Jul 7, 2015 3:56 PM

Dec 2013
This wasn't quite what I expected... The MC seems like a horny teenager.

Still the set up seems interesting enough. Op is pretty meh
Jul 7, 2015 4:05 PM

Jul 2009
2cool4me

Seriously, it was far better than i could think of.
Jul 7, 2015 4:06 PM

Dec 2014
It was okay. Nothing bad or good. Just your typical fantasy, jrpg based anime. The setting is also pretty generic.
I don't understand, why do these mangaka/anime creators think dragons, demons and castles are all there is to a fantasy world?
The only character I like so far is Albedo because she's fucking sexy.

Anyways, that's my opinion so far. It may improve. I'd rate it 5/10 for now.
So far my favorite anime is Ushio to Tora this season.
Jul 7, 2015 4:07 PM

Apr 2012
I am not sure what to think about the show. The start was better than expected but it's actually hard for me to like it. I guess I give it another episode and then decide.
Jul 7, 2015 4:10 PM

Jun 2014
As a Madhouse studio fan, I have to say that CGI quality in this anime, wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I believe that this anime is made only to get some cash flowing in order to make One Punch Man a masterpiece. Going back on the episode. I liked how things progressed. In the beginning I thought Momonga was the bad guy, because of his character skin, but it appears he is the good guy. I wonder who will be his enemies. Looking forward to the second episode.
Jul 7, 2015 4:16 PM

May 2015
Decent first episode. Let's see how it'll turn out. OP and ED were meh. That Albedo though.

Jul 7, 2015 4:19 PM

Nov 2010
YES! It finally came out. I've been waiting for this series for a while. It's only going to get more epic from here on!
Jul 7, 2015 4:22 PM

Jul 2012
The preview looked like shit, but the episode was much better than I expected.
Jul 7, 2015 4:29 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty good overall episode : animation was ok good story and plot OP was amazing but im hoping this doesnt turn into a fan service anime because if it does im dropping it.

8/10
Jul 7, 2015 4:31 PM

Oct 2011
my only disappointment is that it wasnt longer.
Jul 7, 2015 4:42 PM

Feb 2012
This was one dull setup episode. Ignoring the fact that the episode I watched had really laggy animation (not sure if it was my Internet or not), I don't get what the hook of this show is. Some guy gets trapped and he decides to moan about it like a robot whilst getting ready to conquer the virtual world? That's not an interesting story at all.

There were hints of some cool stuff like the main dude debating reality and the fact that this game is shutting down, but it got lost in a bunch of dry exposition and pointless world-building.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Jul 7, 2015 4:47 PM

Feb 2015
Shadow-Senpai said:
3/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2015 4:59 PM

Nov 2012
people rating a first episode because its another mmorpg setting.

Also particulary if done right probably best anime from the year for me
Jul 7, 2015 5:12 PM

Jun 2013
This was cool. I thought Momonga would be a total badass, but that's only his avatar version. He really isn't that cool a person, which makes things all the more great. Now skeleton-sama will have to act like the "Supreme One". The change in the tone of his voice when talking to himself and when talking to the NPCs is also a nice touch.

Momonga doesn't know why he is still logged in even after the game shut down and why the NPCs are more human. But he doesn't care now because this life as the Supreme One in this virtual world is far better than his daily boring life with no family or friends. Now to see what direction this show takes. The OP does show a lot of people so it could be that there are other people like Momonga who didn't log out before the game died, or they could be other NPCs who have turned human. In any case, this one has me hooked. I trust Madhouse to deliver with this one.
Jul 7, 2015 5:26 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting start. Liked how detailed the interface was. Wonder if they'll show the real world in this anime, doubt it.
Jul 7, 2015 5:32 PM

Jul 2014
Wow that was surprisingly amazing! Never thought I would actually love this.
Jul 7, 2015 5:34 PM

Jul 2013
Suprisingly promising start. People saying this is gonna be shit because it's an MMORPG setting are laughable.
Jul 7, 2015 5:46 PM

Nov 2013
I like my sao anime.
Jul 7, 2015 5:53 PM

Jun 2013
this is cool. So they 4th and 8th guardian had better things to do. uh oh
Jul 7, 2015 5:59 PM

Dec 2013
the OP and ED song is good. at first i thought it was SAO all over again , glad it's not and now i've take quite a liking to it.

Jul 7, 2015 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
Not an interesting episode. Average animations, dull introductory-expositions, MMO setting that feels so commonplace and offers nothing noteworthy, and overall lack of energy; the humour felt so-so, and the dialogues among the characters was boring. I also shook my head several times when the horned girl (who's her name again?) being turned into sexual jokes in such tasteless manner, what with the whole "bitch" stuff and MC fondling her breasts. Even if the MC is literally a skeleton and looks menacing, does it even make any difference?
Jul 7, 2015 6:17 PM
Jul 2015
the skeletman reminds me of my dead wife.

just kidding.

So, why are people hating on Funimation so much? I know they are piss-poor SOMETIMES but they've produced some good content, right? RIGHT???
I'm a shitty troll, don't mind me.

Not changing this sig until Gedata-senpai notices me and Death Grips releases Bottomless Pit.
Jul 7, 2015 6:21 PM
Jul 2015
KyerWiz said:
PNDRetro said:

laughing so hard right now at the fact that I was thinking the same thing

She obviously wants him to bone her.

HAHA BONE HER! GEDDIT??? CUZ HE'S A SKELETON????!! HEHEHE
I'm a shitty troll, don't mind me.

Not changing this sig until Gedata-senpai notices me and Death Grips releases Bottomless Pit.
Jul 7, 2015 6:45 PM

Jul 2013
I will be completely honest, this far exceeded my expectations. I can even call it refreshing. I really like Momonga as a character. I'm really curious of what all he is capable of doing in this world. I sort of get a Log Horizon vibe with the idea of them trying to figure out the possibilities within a game without being held back by the engine.

I think this was a pretty solid start. My only gripe is that the animation seems a little stuttery at times.
mitch3315 said:
This might be a bit hard for you to believe, I know I didn't at first, but the thing is that other people actually have different opinions to your own. Crazy, right? How dare they not conform to your opinion on this show, or any other, who the hell do they think they are?
Jul 7, 2015 6:55 PM

Jan 2011
More Albedo when?!
Jul 7, 2015 7:02 PM

Apr 2014
4/10, Would Bret again.
CM said:
Right now, me, right now, in Cleveland, Ohio, take fucking care of me right fucking now. Don't worry about where I'm supposed to be tomorrow. Don't worry about what segment I'm supposed to be. Fucking fix me. My fucking ribs are broken, my knee is fucking torn up, I'm fucking sick. Fucking help me.
Jul 7, 2015 7:07 PM

Jul 2010
Yeah...that was pretty fine-ish.Nothing too special about plot or characters for now (well, with exception for Albedo).
If i have to say i liked something, it was ED.Chaotic melody which i loved.

Will probably stick till the end.Just...won't watch anymore of Funi copies.Terrible.
Jul 7, 2015 10:21 PM

Mar 2012
Not so fond of the MC's avatar, make me wonder what's his real character looked like.
Claude_KennyJul 7, 2015 10:31 PM
Keep moving forward
Jul 8, 2015 1:29 AM

Nov 2012
Good OP, always a fan of 'evil' main characters. Also, having played the Overlord video game series., I quite like this. I loved the skeleton avatar, looks badass like some boss demon from Doom. Reminds me a bit of that ex king from Bleach, can't seem to remember the name right now.

Anyway, this season.. wow

Jul 8, 2015 1:43 AM
Dec 2014
That was a pretty good start actually.
Is it because of funishit that the video keeps lagging?
Jul 8, 2015 1:48 AM

Jul 2014
Meh OP and ED, but I'm really liking the rest of what I'm seeing here so far. Other than the fact that it's glossing over a few things (as was to be expected), this is very faithful to the early stages of the novel, which is something I'm very happy to see. I also like the way that Momonga has different voices for his thoughts and for his actual speech; it really highlights the stark contrast between his actual personality and the facade he has to put on as the leader.

Excellent opening episode, one of my favourites of this season so far.
Jul 8, 2015 1:52 AM

Apr 2011
Somewhere out there, Brook is super jelly of this skeleton king.
Jul 8, 2015 2:08 AM

Sep 2012
ok so...this episode is quite promising, gonna look forward the next episode

Jul 8, 2015 2:13 AM

Apr 2014
Well that was was boring. The situation he is in is kind of funny though.
Jul 8, 2015 2:16 AM
Apr 2013
That refined ara ara voice really do things to my dick. Decent episode and hopefully it will get better.
Jul 8, 2015 2:22 AM

Oct 2013
xSanox said:
not sure what to think yet

DejWo said:
This felt kind of...underwhelming.

RemixX said:
ehh pretty meh so far

I dunno... only funny thing was the butler's name... Sebas Tian lol... kinda disappointed that the so called strongest boss or demon or guardian or whatever she is is reduced to a blob of fanservice...

Amiluhur said:
Not an interesting episode. Average animations, dull introductory-expositions, MMO setting that feels so commonplace and offers nothing noteworthy, and overall lack of energy; the humour felt so-so, and the dialogues among the characters was boring. I also shook my head several times when the horned girl (who's her name again?) being turned into sexual jokes in such tasteless manner, what with the whole "bitch" stuff and MC fondling her breasts. Even if the MC is literally a skeleton and looks menacing, does it even make any difference?

Flawfinder said:
This was one dull setup episode. Ignoring the fact that the episode I watched had really laggy animation (not sure if it was my Internet or not), I don't get what the hook of this show is. Some guy gets trapped and he decides to moan about it like a robot whilst getting ready to conquer the virtual world? That's not an interesting story at all.

There were hints of some cool stuff like the main dude debating reality and the fact that this game is shutting down, but it got lost in a bunch of dry exposition and pointless world-building.

sadpwner said:
Well that was was boring. The situation he is in is kind of funny though.

Pretty much this. I'm not exactly hooked, but I hope I will be in a few more episodes.

What's probably annoying me is that there are no humans in this world. Sure, NPC's are fine... but they're just programs built by humans. Yeah, we could get the whole "NPC's develop human emotions" plot twist, but we(I)'ve seen that before, and it doesn't interest me that much anymore. I hope there will be something that does catch my interest soon.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jul 8, 2015 2:35 AM
Jan 2014
1st episode felt quite underwhelming for me. Guess I'll wait to see some full-on action scenes before deciding to stick with this.

Good OP, though Gatchaman OP's still #1 so far.
Jul 8, 2015 2:36 AM

Feb 2015

Albedo was so thirsty.

I liked the ED more than the OP, especially the visuals.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2015 2:38 AM

Apr 2015
Made me feel nostalgic. I share the same feeling with the MC. Being alone in your guild while others have gone to their separate lives..,,,
#CHEXIT
Jul 8, 2015 2:59 AM

Jan 2014
Truthfully speaking, I disliked it. Firstly, color pallet is too colorful. I want something even more darker than it is now. Although throne room looked good and art of Albedo was appealing me (oppai included). And yes, animation was choppy. It could have been a lot better quality knowing that Madhouse produces it.

Art 2/5

Momonga at first glance looked like he was a villain of the anime. Happens to be a nice guy inside. That was a complete turn off for me. I was looking for a badass villain. We will see how he will develop, Momonga might become a villain. Other characters lacked in depth, that was a good thing in first episode as the Momonga-sama was a star role here. Hope they will develop well.

Characters 3/5, have some faith that they will have a good character development.

RPG feel was more of Log Horizon than SAO. It looks more as a Log Horizon for adults than being a copycat of either of them.

OP was half bad, loved the ED even if it was consisting only of Albedo.

Overall, I disliked it but I have faith it will get better.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2015

246 by MrList »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

331 by MrList »»
Jun 21, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

242 by jesuscris01 »»
Jun 16, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2015

240 by MrList »»
Jun 13, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

433 by BlackSummoner826 »»
May 30, 10:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.