Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jul 4, 2015 10:21 PM
Oct 2012
dend08 said:
her behaviour toward souma is going to be noticed by isshiki

Yes, but notice I had said her "conscious" decision. She also has an unconscious one that ties into the page you mentioned.

The unconscious decision is not "childish", but ties into the one weakness that she does have. The animation hasn't covered this yet so I skipped it for now but....

[Spoiler]Erina is in love with Souma's father. He is what she considers the "perfect chef". So when she ate Souma's food ultimately she was comparing it to his father's cooking, and since Souma is no where as good as his father (as the animation will soon show), she is right to reject it. Why Souma is not as good gets back to the third weakness I gave, the father told him that the secret is to find someone you want to cook for. Souma doesn't have that yet (and hung up before hearing that advice). Souma still hasn't learn that ultimately cooking relies on the taster, not the chef. Right now he is in the mode where his cooking is all that matters, but that is not enough to reach the top (as was pointed out to Shinomiya).

Erina's weakness is that she has never experienced anything outside of cooking, Alice showed her this in the swimming episode. Erina started to read Shoujo manga for this reason. That will be her final key to unlock her true power, just as Souma learning to appreciate those who eat his food will be his final key.

This is just an idle thought on my part, but I am really curious who Souma's mother is. I have a feeling that Erina in the end may have a much closer relationship with Souma than we currently know. The one picture we have seen showed a white hair woman whose face was obscured, but whose structure resembled Erina and Alice. So there is the chance that the three are cousins, or Souma and Erina are half siblings[/quote]
Jul 4, 2015 11:10 PM
Oct 2010
katsu044 said:
Thai777 said:

Finally someone else notice... it was bothering me to no end and made me think of Souma as way more OP than he actually is..
yeah show kinda made it seem like an impossible feat for one person lol.
lol. The manga version is even more impossible, at least if it goes with the math presented in the anime.

Souma said it took 2 1/2 minutes to prepare each omelette, which means 12 omelettes per burner in 30 minutes. With just 8 burners, he is limited to 96 omelettes in half an hour, 104 with the 33 minutes he actually has on start.

16 burners make the task ridiculously hard, but physically possible.

Edit: Math correction, haha. The 3 minutes above the half hour allow only for one extra batch
AjunkyJul 5, 2015 11:50 AM
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 4, 2015 11:31 PM

Nov 2011
zerorequiem_ said:
Alice and Soma have some nice chemistry. I seriously want to know more about Ryo, he seems like an interesting character.

The next arc is gonna make everyone an interesting character.

Jul 4, 2015 11:49 PM

Dec 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
dend08 said:
her behaviour toward souma is going to be noticed by isshiki

Yes, but notice I had said her "conscious" decision. She also has an unconscious one that ties into the page you mentioned.

The unconscious decision is not "childish", but ties into the one weakness that she does have. The animation hasn't covered this yet so I skipped it for now but....

[Spoiler]Erina is in love with Souma's father. He is what she considers the "perfect chef". So when she ate Souma's food ultimately she was comparing it to his father's cooking, and since Souma is no where as good as his father (as the animation will soon show), she is right to reject it. Why Souma is not as good gets back to the third weakness I gave, the father told him that the secret is to find someone you want to cook for. Souma doesn't have that yet (and hung up before hearing that advice). Souma still hasn't learn that ultimately cooking relies on the taster, not the chef. Right now he is in the mode where his cooking is all that matters, but that is not enough to reach the top (as was pointed out to Shinomiya).

Erina's weakness is that she has never experienced anything outside of cooking, Alice showed her this in the swimming episode. Erina started to read Shoujo manga for this reason. That will be her final key to unlock her true power, just as Souma learning to appreciate those who eat his food will be his final key.

This is just an idle thought on my part, but I am really curious who Souma's mother is. I have a feeling that Erina in the end may have a much closer relationship with Souma than we currently know. The one picture we have seen showed a white hair woman whose face was obscured, but whose structure resembled Erina and Alice. So there is the chance that the three are cousins, or Souma and Erina are half siblings
[/quote]

Agree with your assessment about Erina's weakness, and considering who is coming back next episode, I think we'll be getting to that really soon. However I do believe that her attitude towards Soma lays more in a clash of ideals rather than just pure taste comparison.

Oh, and then you also have to factor that she IS still a teenager, prone to hormonal imbalances every now and then. So if someone acted all high and mighty towards you before even knowing who you were, I'm sure as a teen your first reaction towards such a person would be dislike or even hate. ;)

Then again, Erina does treat Alice like crap alot :P
Poor Alice must have a lot of childhood trauma because of her cousin
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 5, 2015 12:21 AM
Apr 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

This is just an idle thought on my part, but I am really curious who Souma's mother is. I have a feeling that Erina in the end may have a much closer relationship with Souma than we currently know. The one picture we have seen showed a white hair woman whose face was obscured, but whose structure resembled Erina and Alice. So there is the chance that the three are cousins, or Souma and Erina are half siblings

KaiserNazrin said:
How can anyone be more a bitch than Erina? She's been doing nothing but that.

Alice acknowledge Soma's achievement as noteworthy unlike Erina who will never accept Soma, like its the last thing she will ever do. Alice is playful and likes to tease people but she doesn't have any mean intention. She is the best girl.
You are rather quick in making judgments. Your opinion about Erina will likely change soon. Just wait for it. She's not bitch to everyone, just Souma and Alice.

Takuan_Soho said:
Exactly, Erina respects and is nice when it is deserved except for Souma (and Alice)

And spot on about everything else. Souma is way too ignorant and arrogant and I'd have treated him the same way she has.

Ajunky said:
lol. The manga version is even more impossible, at least if it goes with the math presented in the anime.

Souma said it took 2 1/2 minutes to prepare each omelette, which means 12 omelettes per burner in 30 minutes. With just 8 burners, he is limited to 96 omelettes in half an hour, 112 with the 33 minutes he actually has on start.

16 burners make the task ridiculously hard, but physically possible.
Exactly, that was iimpossible LOL
C2FlashJul 5, 2015 12:24 AM
Jul 5, 2015 12:55 AM

Sep 2009
Lefty112 said:
Does this mean that J.C. Staff..

I guess so. No Karaage Arc.
And can the remaining 10 episodes handle 60+ chapters of Autumn Election Arc? I'm getting worried about this.

Also, the first appearance of The King of Spice:
ziez_krumJul 5, 2015 1:01 AM
Jul 5, 2015 1:31 AM

Aug 2013
DesuTronic said:
It seems like lolis are immune against undressing effects of the food.

It is to keep the unknown heaven a sceret. It must not be revealed!!! xD
Jul 5, 2015 2:08 AM
Jul 2018
Really awesome episode! and now that they mention it I can't wait to see the autumn elections animated!! Nice to see him as well!

Jul 5, 2015 2:46 AM

Jan 2013
What's with that random Street Fighter cosplay? It was hilarious.
And I just noticed that sometimes there's also a male singing in the ED.
Jul 5, 2015 5:25 AM

Mar 2015
ziez_krum said:
Lefty112 said:
Does this mean that J.C. Staff..

I guess so. No Karaage Arc.
And can the remaining 10 episodes handle 60+ chapters of Autumn Election Arc? I'm getting worried about this.

Also, the first appearance of The King of Spice:

Suwabe Junichi, or riot.
Jul 5, 2015 5:49 AM

Apr 2011
Another great episode! :D

That time pressure...What a breathtaking moment.

Anyway, I'm glad that Soma somehow managed to accomplish 200 servings in spite of the short time he has.

And BTW, did I just see Soma's father in the PV? O.O

Jul 5, 2015 8:04 AM

Jan 2015
Another great episode, I still can't believe Marui managed to survived at the Camp.. XD
Jul 5, 2015 11:23 AM
Apr 2014
Damn the end of the competition was so annoying.

Jul 5, 2015 1:24 PM
Apr 2013
Nanashi- said:

Actually it was not. His vision was short sighted. He only managed to do it because of the live cooking he did, otherwise he'd never have succeeded. So they were right.
Jul 5, 2015 2:52 PM
Dec 2012
It's been 14 episodes now and I still don't get why Erina is still listed as a Main Character.
Jul 5, 2015 3:36 PM
Jul 2015
this bonus art drawn by saeki shun aka Shokugeki no Soma mangaka, all character come from shonen jump

try to find erina!
Jul 5, 2015 3:43 PM
Oct 2012
Nanashi- said:

Actually no. The competition was only 1 hour long (in the episode Megumi reached 100 with 30 minutes to go, and she broke 200). So they paced him without needing to rely on cooking tricks or even breaking a sweat or panicking about even making 200.
Jul 5, 2015 7:03 PM

Sep 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

Actually no. The competition was only 1 hour long

2 hours
It is possible to do 200 in 30 min, especially with thousands of people there.
Jul 5, 2015 9:55 PM

Oct 2014
So it looks like they're skipping the Karaage arc. Well, there goes my hopes of a second season. It'd be even worse if they pulled a Tokyo Ghoul and swapped the arcs around.

Ugh.

Episode was the best to date. 10/10.

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
Jul 5, 2015 11:13 PM

Nov 2011
ETX said:
So it looks like they're skipping the Karaage arc. Well, there goes my hopes of a second season. It'd be even worse if they pulled a Tokyo Ghoul and swapped the arcs around.

Ugh.

You make it sounds like skipping that arc is gonna ruin the adaption which is not.

Jul 6, 2015 3:05 AM
Feb 2015
the anime follows the manga pretty closely, .. but it's pretty good for an anime adaptation
Jul 6, 2015 8:51 AM

Oct 2014
KaiserNazrin said:
ETX said:

Ugh.

You make it sounds like skipping that arc is gonna ruin the adaption which is not.

While implying I did is fine, I never outright said that.

As far as I'm concerned, the adaption is running smoothly and is animating the content from the manga just fine. My point was that if they're planning on skipping an entire arc (No matter how small or unimportant it is), then the hope for a second season is practically gone.

The manga currently has 125 chapters. Episode 14 ended at chapter 33 with 10 episodes left to air. Episode 15 will most likely animate chapter 34 and 39, skipping the next 4 chapters in the process. The Karaage arc may not be important to the main story, but an important character was introduced towards the end of the arc.

My question is this. With so much manga material left over, why cut out an entire arc just to skip ahead? They could of left the Autumn Election Arc on a cliffhanger and continued it on in another 2 cour second season.

Despite being immensely popular, I was expecting it to get the Kuroko and Phi Brain treatment (Multiple Seasons) I just find it weird, especially for a Shounen series.
ETXJul 6, 2015 9:22 AM

Jul 6, 2015 9:16 AM

Oct 2013
KaiserNazrin said:

Ruin is a bit of an exaggeration, but it is effecting the anime in a negative way.
The "Karaage arc" is important to the plot, which means that skipping it will bring alteration and scene cutting to the following "Autumn arc".

They could however skip it this season and bring it back as a flashback in the next season. because the Karaage arc is more important during the second half of the Autumn arc.

But I understand why some people dont mind, or rather hope that the karaage will be skipped. They are hard Souma-x-Erina or Souma-x-Megumi shippers afterall, and they rather want to pretend that that arc never happened if the first place. :P

And I hope they will also put in the Shaved Ice side chapter.
Which happened around the time of the Kaarage arc. :P

Other side chapters have been added to the anime too after all. :)
VaeloreJul 6, 2015 9:37 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2015 9:35 AM

Oct 2014
Vaelore said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Ruin is a bit of an exaggeration, but it is effecting the anime in a negative way.
The "Karaage arc" is important to the plot, which means that skipping it will bring alteration and scene cutting to the following "Autumn arc".

They could however skip it this season and bring it back as a flashback in the next season. because the Karaage arc is more important during the second half of the Autumn arc.

The Karaage arc is literally the prologue to the autumn Election arc and is needed, if they cut it, then the pages in the spoiler tag below won't make any sense and it's important.

It just brings me back to my earlier question. With so much material to work with, why bother skipping it?
ETXJul 6, 2015 9:45 AM

Jul 6, 2015 9:40 AM

Oct 2013
ETX said:
Vaelore said:

The problem is that even if they cut out the Karaage arc, then none of the below will make any sense.

Mhm, Which is why I said it might still work as a flashback, just before the second half of the Autumn Arc.

But I don't know if the first half of the arc can fill in enough episodes for the rest of the first season. So I don't really know if this could work.

An other solution would be altering the anime and steering away from the manga's original plot. Making the new character appear in a different way, and either cutting out or altering some Souma and Nikumi interactions.
VaeloreJul 6, 2015 9:50 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2015 12:20 PM

Sep 2013
Really glad to see how Souma stuck with his original dish rather than change to something else entirely.

Note to self: If another female character with the surname 'Nakiri' enters, expect a certain level of annoyance from them. Still can't warm up to aloof characters like Erina. Can't wait till Souma throws her off her high horse.
Jul 6, 2015 2:26 PM

Dec 2013
Super intense episode! This episode had me at the edge of my seat counting down the seconds. Souma barely making was kind of a shocker too. Also I really like this new Alice character.
Jul 6, 2015 3:05 PM
Jul 2015
Vaelore said:
KaiserNazrin said:

But I understand why some people dont mind, or rather hope that the karaage will be skipped. They are hard Souma-x-Erina or Souma-x-Megumi shippers afterall, and they rather want to pretend that that arc never happened if the first place. :P

And I hope they will also put in the Shaved Ice side chapter.
Which happened around the time of the Kaarage arc. :P

Other side chapters have been added to the anime too after all. :)

for shaved ice chapter possible put into bonus short scene like before after ending credit but for kaarage arc really fit into ova, if jc put kaarage arc in later episode seriously you want everyone watching rush autumn arc with limitation only 24 ep adaptation?
SocialLovingJul 6, 2015 3:09 PM
Jul 6, 2015 3:18 PM
Oct 2012
ichii_1 said:
2 hours
It is possible to do 200 in 30 min, especially with thousands of people there.

You are right, checked and the competition was 2 hours.

Though in my defense that makes little sense. It shouldn't have taken Souma more than 30 minutes to notice his dishes were not being eaten (by that time he should have served 50, and he only had 8), so that means he was thinking about things for over 1 hour.

The only solution would be that those 2 hours included prepping, and that means that this time should be added to Souma's time as well.

It's a small thing, but again it points out that Erina accomplished a similar feat as Souma. She just had used her prepping time more effectively.

As for pacing:

As for skipping the Karaage, I hope nice it is a cute story, but they could easily gloss over the "plot addition" with a 30 second add. It's not THAT important.
Takuan_SohoJul 6, 2015 5:33 PM
Jul 6, 2015 4:11 PM

Jul 2009
Holy crap that episode was intense O_O I'm amazed Souma managed to pull through like that ... guess his "live cooking" was up to the task, but like 100 servings in half an hour sure seems tough XD True enough, I guess getting the timing right for when people came to eat would have been really difficult ...
Alice is finally introduced! Dang her meal seems super good too. So she's Erina's cousin ... no wonder they're both so good?! XD They seem to be quite different though, and she seems to have quite the rivalry with her cousin stemming from their childhood :P Briefly got introduced to some new charas too I think, but just flashes of them :P Would love to see more of Alice though :3
Everyone manages to pass and seems like the training camp is over! Getting to eat a full course meal from all the alumni ... I'm so jealous >_< Seems like we have the "Autumn Selection" thing coming up though, and ... is that Souma's dad in the preview?! :O
Jul 6, 2015 4:22 PM

Feb 2010
hahailham1 said:
Souma pull the impossible! while he is making the dish he also refining it which is awesome

next episode is about aki no senbatsu (autumn election?) , what's this? 1-on-1 cooking battle, i suppose.

hearing senbatsu word kinda remind me of AKB lol

Yeah the AKB48 senbatsu was the first thing I remembered XD

So they aren't gonna animate the Karaage Arc.
Jul 6, 2015 4:33 PM

Apr 2014
see this is a prime example of ppl who read the source material

they are bitter and they ruin episode discussions
Jul 6, 2015 5:31 PM

Jun 2014
Moodie said:

I see almost no bitter person here, this is really the wrong anime for that I saw way way worse.
Jul 6, 2015 6:23 PM

Jul 2009
MasterDetective said:
Danniel said:

I've also been thinking that. The story is putting so much emphasis to say that the school expels a lot of students, but so far no one important has dropped.

But well,this is a shounen manga, so this kind of thing is not expected.
all the main cast is talented though

cant wait for Election arc. This was when the manga went to a whole other level. Too bad they're skipping the karage arc, but finishing election is probably the shows priority.

I don't think its a cop out because it was already established that Polar Star students are really good, and dem italian kids (Takumi and Ikumi) are talented like Souma, plus Nikumi was previously Erina's lackey so she's also good.

I also don't mind it cuz technically Megumi was expelled but it was revoked.
Jul 7, 2015 2:31 AM

May 2013
The way Souma turned overturned the situation was godlike.

Alice's dish turned out to be way more amazing than I thought. I'm interested in her lackey's red bandage too, I wonder if it's significant somehow.

The end of the episode was really uplifting especially seeing how Souma is valuing his experience here more than he ever thought he would.

BTW any idea who Nikumi is suppose to be in the Street fighter end card? I'm thinking Elena but that doesn't seem right.
Jul 7, 2015 2:38 AM

Jan 2013
So many skilled chefs.
Hard to believe 652 students served more than 200 servings. That's well over 130,000 dishes. There must have been around 100,000 people at the hotel. Doesn't make sense. Also I expected at least half to be eliminated. They're only showing a couple dozen of the hundreds that were skilled enough to pass.
Jul 7, 2015 6:13 AM
Apr 2013
RediceRyan said:
So many skilled chefs.
Hard to believe 652 students served more than 200 servings. That's well over 130,000 dishes. There must have been around 100,000 people at the hotel. Doesn't make sense. Also I expected at least half to be eliminated. They're only showing a couple dozen of the hundreds that were skilled enough to pass.
LOL I forgot to point that out. How many people were even there? It makes no sense counting the number of students passing and the number of dishes being served.
Jul 7, 2015 6:42 AM

Jan 2009
RediceRyan said:
So many skilled chefs.

The "gourmet dishes" tend to be a small amount of food, i think your count of 100,000 people is to low for 130,000 dishes, maybe 3 dishes per person or 4 is more accurate, that means a total of 43,000 people at the hotel, sounds a lot but not imposible, i guess, anyway dont forget this is a shonen anime hence the imposible is now posible ;)
gonzJul 7, 2015 6:47 AM
Jul 7, 2015 7:43 AM

Oct 2014
Harem_King said:

The only things your comment contributes to is another post added to your overall total and a gateway to instigate another argument.

I'll admit that I did bring the manga adaption up quite a bit in comparison to the events of the anime, but not once did I express any distaste or bitterness to the anime adaption. For what it's worth, the anime is doing the manga justice in every aspect, and I can't really fault it.

If it were Akame ga Kill! we were discussing, then THAT would be another story.
ETXJul 7, 2015 7:48 AM

Jul 7, 2015 3:29 PM
Jul 2015
Bonus Pic:

black hair > king of darkness
white hair > king of spice
red hair > king of magic (same like shinomiya)
blue hair > queen of taste
yellow hair > "bitch"
Jul 7, 2015 3:45 PM

Oct 2014
Vanguard_Leonard said:
Bonus Pic:

black hair > king of darkness
white hair > king of spice
red hair > king of magic (same like shinomiya)
blue hair > queen of taste
yellow hair > "bitch"

It may not seem like it, but this image is a spoiler for Ryo. Might want to but it in a spoiler tag.

Jul 7, 2015 6:10 PM
Jul 2015
Vanguard_Leonard said:
It may not seem like it, but this image is a spoiler for Ryo. Might want to but it in a spoiler tag.

that's just bonus pic in manga and i don't tell the name that's 2 guys in pic
the title i give just for fun
Jul 8, 2015 7:42 AM

Jun 2015
The ending was really satisfying. The students definitely deserved it. I love how they were able to shed more light on Alice, her talents and her background.
Jul 8, 2015 1:34 PM

Jun 2014
I need to catch up with the manga the anime's almost at the same part I am
Jul 8, 2015 5:39 PM
Jul 2015
1 day left to see "ASURA" comeback
Jul 8, 2015 5:49 PM

Jun 2014
Seriously what with those manga reader who can't stop showing part of the manga? Some are almost spoiler for the next episode, let them find by themselves seriously.. Or at least put it in a spoiler tag so people who wants to see it go see it and the other don't.
Jul 8, 2015 6:13 PM
Oct 2012
gonz said:
The "gourmet dishes" tend to be a small amount of food, i think your count of 100,000 people is to low for 130,000 dishes, maybe 3 dishes per person or 4 is more accurate, that means a total of 43,000 people at the hotel, sounds a lot but not imposible, i guess, anyway dont forget this is a shonen anime hence the imposible is now posible ;)

This is Japan, you can get 630,000 people to attend Comiket. 100,000 people is nothing. Besides if we can accept that such a school exists, then their massive resort could handle that many people easily.

But in general I think the number of tastes per people is probably closer to 10. This is an annual event where everyone knew they were going to be eating tons of great food. People would have starved themselves to death before going. So around 13-20K people. Trade shows do that.

But again once you accept the existence of the school, numbers really lose all meaning :-)
Jul 8, 2015 6:45 PM
Jul 2015
Thai777 said:
Seriously what with those manga reader who can't stop showing part of the manga? Some are almost spoiler for the next episode, let them find by themselves seriously.. Or at least put it in a spoiler tag so people who wants to see it go see it and the other don't.

are you don't watch episode 15 preview? narator already said a main called asura and souma dad appearance
Jul 8, 2015 8:06 PM

Jun 2014
Vanguard_Leonard said:
Thai777 said:

are you don't watch episode 15 preview? narator already said a main called asura and souma dad appearance

That fine and all but do you know that when you saw something already the intensity of that scene drop? What you are doing is just blatantly spoiling the moment where
Which is why I think putting a spoiler tag might be necessary.
Jul 9, 2015 4:18 AM

Apr 2014
super intense episode
glad that souma pulled through!
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2015

423 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 5:16 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2015

196 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

233 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 4:16 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

188 by Yiuumii »»
May 20, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2015

171 by Yiuumii »»
May 20, 12:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.