Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 18, 2015 6:44 AM

May 2015
I have a few who do, but we don't talk about it much. I'm too analytic, and they're from two different groups. If we start talking about anime it'd be just between us. That'll come off as rude.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 18, 2015 6:45 AM

Jun 2015
Yes. Many

AnimeList MangaList
[/center]
Jun 18, 2015 8:43 AM

Apr 2015
Yes I have some... 2 actually :p
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Jun 18, 2015 8:48 AM

Feb 2015
Yeah, I have a fair amount of friends IRL who watch anime.
Jun 18, 2015 8:51 AM

Jun 2014
Yes, about 70% of them are anime watchers. But they are boring to talk about anime with since they cannot discuss anything without getting super mad.
Jun 18, 2015 9:05 AM

Apr 2007
Almost all of my friends watch anime. A lot of them watch it a lot more than I do. We discuss it a lot, watch together sometimes, and go to conventions together. (well, I have some friends who go to conventions a lot and I come with them if I can be bothered)
Jun 18, 2015 9:07 AM

May 2015
Yeah, they're the reason I'm watching it now. Someone sent me Date A Live ep. 1 on youtube and watched both seasons non-stop.. and after that my friend recommended me more animes to watch =)
Jun 18, 2015 9:09 AM

Aug 2014
I do, and they introduced me to it in the first place. It's fun chatting with them over anime and share things to watch/read.

Jun 18, 2015 10:59 AM

Jan 2015
I have a couple but they don't watch as often as me

Credits to MAND4Drawings
Jun 18, 2015 11:52 AM

Aug 2014
RobertFjall said:
Yes, about 70% of them are anime watchers. But they are boring to talk about anime with since they cannot discuss anything without getting super mad.

They might also think you're boring because you cannot get mad on what they're getting mad at.
Jun 18, 2015 11:54 AM
Mar 2013
Yeah,most of my close friends watch anime.
Nani!?
Jun 18, 2015 11:57 AM

Aug 2014
DarklordVor said:
I don't have friends. *cries*
But before that, I tried to make my big sister fall in love with anime, and I did it. Biggest success of my life: turning my big sister into an anime lover lol.

Just what did you recommend her? Man, I made my big sis watch psychopass, and she refuse to finish it after 11 episodes, I seduced her with Steins Gate, but she felt sleepy just after watching 15 mins of the first episode!damn. But she likes fruits basket and goes "kyahhh" wuith inuyasha. I want her to broaden up her choices!
Jun 18, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2014
Many of them have watched pokemon, dragonball z etc but that was probably because it aired on tv. There are a few I know who have watched the mainstream ones like naruto, bleach etc. I have only 2 friends (that I know of) who watch the not so popular shows.
Jun 18, 2015 12:02 PM

Feb 2015
Nah. My friends don't watch Chinese cartoons.
Jun 18, 2015 12:04 PM
Dec 2014
Well, I got about 3(which they watch a bit from time to time) but mainly my friends don't watch/hate anime
Jun 18, 2015 12:05 PM

Feb 2014
Not a whole lot who watch things other than Naruto, DBZ, SnK, popular stuff like that.
Most all of them watch dub only from what I know. So there is some limits there. However one or two of my friends I can actually talk about how things are executed/written and stuff.

My little brother loves DBZ and Naruto, and he's watching Kill La Kill, Attack on Titan, and Dragon Ball now. I talk to him about anime a bit, but there's obviously a limited spectrum of things to talk about. Doesn't help that he has a really narrow spectrum of things he'll watch, but he IS 11 after all.
chinesecartoonzJun 18, 2015 12:09 PM

Jun 18, 2015 12:10 PM

Jul 2014
Laizel said:
Nah. My friends don't watch Chinese cartoons.
Jun 18, 2015 12:11 PM

May 2014
like people here do ??
LORD no, i had a friend who like tried a few and isnt actually a fan, but thats about it i guess.
Jun 18, 2015 1:00 PM

Jun 2011
Most watch some but they are pretty casual and wouldn't have heard any of the ones in my top if I didn't tell them about it (most still haven't watched any of my favs)
Jun 18, 2015 5:41 PM

Feb 2015
Nope.
Jun 18, 2015 5:50 PM

Apr 2013
kuri_kame said:
One of my oldest friends was the one who introduced me to anime, and a couple of my other friends also like some anime. So I've never really had that issue.

Honestly I think since you've been friends with these people for years, like you said, then they probably would be totally okay with you liking what you like because it makes you happy. So maybe you should try telling them and prepare to explain some common misconceptions?

You're watching cartoons, not fucking your sister. It's not a big deal. It really isn't. Why do so many of you people act like there's some huge social stigma surrounding anime? There isn't. IRL people in general don't give a shit, it's just you guys.

OP: If you want to talk to IRL people about anime and shit then get anime friends. Join anime clubs, go to conventions, meet with MAL peeps (or any other online friends) IRL, etc. Make an effort to find friends who share the same interests as you do. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like i'm telling you to ditch your current friends, just get more of them. There's nothing wrong with having a large pool of social acquaintances.

Forget/ignore the whole stupid "but hur dur IRL anime fans are all losers" bullshit that so many people here like to talk about. It's bullshit. Talk to people, make friends with the ones you enjoy talking to. End of story.
Jun 18, 2015 6:25 PM

Apr 2014
Most of my friends don't, but a few of them do. A lot of my friends who don't watch anime have actually seen one or 2 anime before that they liked, but never delved further in. I've had 2 friends that I always talked with about anime, before I actually let a lot of people know I was into anime. Within the past year or two, I've been more open about it and found that a few of my other friends, who I had known for years, were actually into anime as well. Aside from that I've probably talked about three people into watching anime and now they're fans as well
Jun 18, 2015 6:26 PM
Feb 2014
My three best friends and I always talk about anime casually, I've seen the most, but they don't care, and sometimes they ask me what to watch and I'm usually very helpful to them, I don't always use my personal opinion when giving out recommendations because I understand anime fans have a certain spice that spices them up.
Jun 18, 2015 6:35 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah, I have a lot of friends that I can share this hobby with. I also have a lot of close friends that aren't interested in anime and that's fine too. It's not like they're going to judge me or anything. Well, my best friend judged me when we marathon-ed NGE and the End of Evangelion, but that's to be expected.

Simulcasts are way more enjoyable when your friends watch them. Everyone definitely needs a couple of friends with the same hobby.
NudeBear said:

You're watching cartoons, not fucking your sister. It's not a big deal. It really isn't. Why do so many of you people act like there's some huge social stigma surrounding anime? There isn't. IRL people in general don't give a shit, it's just you guys.

This. Don't be ashamed of your hobbies.
ImagesJun 18, 2015 6:39 PM
Jun 18, 2015 6:44 PM

Apr 2013
Images said:

NudeBear said:

This. Don't be ashamed of your hobbies.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll, i wouldn't say that because there are some pretty horrible and disgusting 'hobbies' out there. ;P But yeah, we're just watching cartoons. Nothing to be ashamed about that LOL
Jun 18, 2015 6:45 PM
Feb 2014
The only shame that might come with my interest is if a large group of people try to force it down my throat. Thankfully it's only temporary shame, but the shame is really directed at them and not at my hobby.

And this ironically happens on the Internet. My IRL friends either don't care or find it interesting that I like anime.
AqutanJun 18, 2015 6:57 PM
Jun 18, 2015 6:51 PM
Jul 2018
All of the friends I've had or have in real life have watched some anime. Some of them were anime watchers, while some of them just watched a few here and there, but none of them dismissed the medium. They all had pretty diverse tastes as well, going from ecchi to action to "stuff with pretty boys". I talk about anime with them frequently too.

NudeBear said:

If somebody thinks it's gross that I watch anime, I wouldn't want to be friends with them in the first place anyway. I don't get the point of keeping it a secret.
Jun 18, 2015 6:57 PM

Apr 2014
In my old class in highschool there were more people who did watch anime than the ones that didn't, this led to some pretty interesting discussions in my classroom.
Jun 18, 2015 7:13 PM

Feb 2014
I had one but we don't talk anymore.
Jun 18, 2015 7:14 PM

Aug 2014
nope,but i hope someday,i will have,,who will i discuss some anime that i watch;)
Jun 18, 2015 7:16 PM
Feb 2014
I only have a few people I consider friends, and 100% are either comfortable with and can enjoy anime or are straight up otaku
Jun 18, 2015 7:17 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah I just walked in on one of them watching Freezing
Jun 18, 2015 7:25 PM

May 2014
No. I don't really have any desire to discuss anime with my IRL friends anyway.

I'll be out ridin' my pony until it's time for candy
And I'll be naked, because I want to

Jun 18, 2015 7:36 PM

Nov 2008
Pretty much all of them do. One said he "wants to move on from it" yet he keeps asking me when the final EVA movie comes out. haha

Jun 18, 2015 7:38 PM

Feb 2010
yes
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 18, 2015 7:58 PM

Sep 2013
no
Jun 18, 2015 8:32 PM
Mar 2014
I understand where you are coming from. It's the same with me. Well, I don't have a lot of friends IRL anyway >.< but yes, the people I do know don't watch anime. People just club them with "cartoons". So, I hardly get any chance to talk about my love for anime IRL. At uni, I'm pretty much a closet otaku ._.
Jun 18, 2015 9:44 PM

May 2015
Yes, I do. I think he may even watch more anime than I do. xD

Jun 18, 2015 10:01 PM

Sep 2009
AlneOove said:
coming from a personal standpoint, i have no irl FRIENDS who watch anime. i'm a pretty busy guy who's graduated from high school and takes very few college courses so not having a lot of irl friends isn't shocking (really only about 2 or 3). the reason i mention that is to make it make sense why none of them watch anime, since there's so few to deal with.

however, my sister watches anime. she doesn't live with me anymore and minus about a month and a half during last year, she hasn't lived with me for about 2 years. however, she does come over to my place on some occasions and we have watched some anime series together. however ever since we watched Black Bullet together exactly a week ago, we hadn't really watched anything minus a few episodes here and there in about 8 months. so as you can see it's a pretty rare thing.

we do have anime discussions sometimes but she doesn't watch any airing series so its really just about finished (sometimes old) stuff that we've both seen which hasn't been a whole ton so we've kinda already talked about everything there is to talk about, lol. guess the only things we'll be able to talk about in the future is the stuff that we watch together :x

Well you're lucky. Everytime my brother walks into my room while I'm watching anime he's like "Eh, watching cartoons again?" lol, and he's six years younger than me.
Jun 18, 2015 10:21 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, I have 3 friends who watch anime.

One is obsessed with Evangelion and the other two is still stuck at their harem/ecchi phrase.
Jun 18, 2015 10:34 PM
Jul 2018
I know one person who likes FMA/Bleach/DBZ, and another friend who's a bit more varied - watching stuff like Spice & Wolf and Monster. I barely talk about anime with them though due to differing tastes. Spice & Wolf and Monster are some of the best anime to me, but that friend of mine seems to live to disagree about anything - so chatting can't really happen more than debating.
Jun 18, 2015 10:53 PM

Oct 2013
yeah, a lot surprisingly
Jun 19, 2015 1:43 AM

May 2015
NudeBear said:
kuri_kame said:
One of my oldest friends was the one who introduced me to anime, and a couple of my other friends also like some anime. So I've never really had that issue.

Honestly I think since you've been friends with these people for years, like you said, then they probably would be totally okay with you liking what you like because it makes you happy. So maybe you should try telling them and prepare to explain some common misconceptions?

OP: If you want to talk to IRL people about anime and shit then get anime friends. Join anime clubs, go to conventions, meet with MAL peeps (or any other online friends) IRL, etc. Make an effort to find friends who share the same interests as you do. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like i'm telling you to ditch your current friends, just get more of them. There's nothing wrong with having a large pool of social acquaintances.

Forget/ignore the whole stupid "but hur dur IRL anime fans are all losers" bullshit that so many people here like to talk about. It's bullshit. Talk to people, make friends with the ones you enjoy talking to. End of story.

These people are the real losers. Isn't picking on 'nerds' or 'weirdos' no longer in fashion? I haven't seen it since junior high. The military is a pain and all, but even here we don't have it.

Besides, gamers are worse. I prefer anime fans to gamers.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 19, 2015 2:32 AM

Apr 2012
I have a few friends that watch anime. There are a few that we share in common and then we each also kinda have our own niche. We talk about em quite a but and throw recommendations each others way, but we never really watch it together. Mainly just because we're usually watching different ones at different times. and when we hang out, we usually just get stoned a play games. :D
Jun 19, 2015 2:34 AM

Jun 2015
What...
Are?

IRL Friends?
Jun 19, 2015 2:35 AM

Jun 2014
Haeduans said:
RobertFjall said:

They might also think you're boring because you cannot get mad on what they're getting mad at.

That might be true.
Jun 19, 2015 10:31 AM

Dec 2014
I'm in a similar situation, though my friends either have not much of an opinion on anime or are optimistic and open about it, ive always had a positive experience when it came to that kind of thing. unfortunately I only have a couple friends that I can REALLY talk and relate to about anime, the rest of my friends that have anime interest are back in my home town :c
NYAA!
Jun 19, 2015 10:32 AM
Sep 2014
I have
Jun 19, 2015 10:38 AM

Mar 2014
Most of my friends have watched Death Note due to its popularity. I have a couple of friends who have watched 2-3 anime as well but that's it. It is not that important though since we talk about other stuff.
Jun 20, 2015 1:58 AM

Feb 2015
Yes i have a lot. maybe about 10..
But i only 4-5 that really love anime. the others,just watch..
Unsigned signature-
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What does your waifu do under pressure?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

14 by Clarissah »»
51 seconds ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

683 by Zero01guard »»
10 minutes ago

» Have you ever struggled to rate a show?

Jackson1333 - 2 hours ago

11 by MeguSae38 »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Why Do People Dislike Chinese Anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ames00 - Apr 1, 2018

416 by alshu »»
49 minutes ago

» Do you think Anime has been a net positive for humanity??

LenRea - 9 hours ago

16 by alshu »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.