Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »
Jul 21, 2009 10:39 PM

Mar 2009
LoL! It wasn't TOO bad.

Though what surprises me is that they manage to cut out things every episode, yet still end up taking the whole episode time despite having things missing.. hmmm..

Soon, I'm sure it'll be finishing soon.. right??

To be honest though, I got impatient and read the light novel as to how they past this arc, and I have to say, it was much shorter in the novel XD - imagine the copy-paste work required!
Jul 21, 2009 11:09 PM

Jan 2008
Tamaki-san said:
As loyal Haruhist I don't need to defend this mishmash of bullshit because as loyal Haruhist I think they're destroying the credibility of its source material. And I won't deny it; I won't drop it simply because its Haruhi even though I have been thinking on it and I just can't.

I'll probably watch it untill the end, and I'll probably give a 3 or 5, don't really know but one thing I know is that theres a limit to ridiculousness, and that limit is those fucking fanboys that say: "Yeah, I liked it"; stop with that bullshit please

This

Personally I believe, that those who defend endless eight and complain about the whiners are rather KyoAni- than Haruhi-Fans...or Fanboys.

As we sad above, Kyoto Animation isn't the non plus ultra anymore ever since the Munto-Remake (it's new content was even dumber than the original material) and K-ON (which was the most redundant anime I've ever seen -besides endless eight of course).

As for myself, I prefer studios like Satelight or SynergySP (meanwhile)
PerplexJul 21, 2009 11:38 PM
Jul 21, 2009 11:20 PM

Jun 2007
KOIZUMI. SPEEDO. <3

?_? || Mo <3: squrrriles kidnapped her let's eat theree nuts || ♪♫♪
Jul 21, 2009 11:41 PM

Jul 2008
Foggle said:
KyoAni is doing this to prove a point. They know that even if they shit all over the floor, their fans will gladly eat it up as if it were a delicious steak. They don't even have to fucking try with Haruhi Season 2, they know it will sell DVDs and merchandise.

FUCK, I couldn't had said it better myself
Jul 22, 2009 4:01 AM

Aug 2008
The head of KyoAni is being possessed! Now the plague has spread all over the company!
Jul 22, 2009 4:39 AM

Feb 2008
noteDhero said:

I totally disagree that production is the only thing that determines quality in this industry. Just like any other medium that goes for mass public consumption, what often determines quality is a refreshing and energetic take on something old.

Just because something is different doesn't necessarily mean that it's good. What they are doing here with Endless Eight is brave, yes, but also very stupid. In my opinion, they are going against age old rules of what is acceptable as a joke, or repetition for the sake of extending story and profits. No other reason. But becauses it's washed over with KyoAni production values, lots of people tend to be sadly taken in by, and excuse it. Its inexcusable from a narrative standpoint because there is no meaning that wasn't reached in the first repeat.

In the case of Birdy 2, I think that the problem was that they wanted their cake and to eat it too. Instead of just completely changing the art style to suit dynamic animation for the show as a whole, they backtrack to a very stylized execution (reminiscent of Kaiba) while also suffering from inconsistent character design in other episodes that had no action at all. It was a bad production choice because they couldn't support the two and tried to half ass it with mixed results.

EE is not exceptional at all just because it's different. To me there has to be a justification for making decisions like this, and there is no acceptable justification for what they've done here, in my opinion.

Also, I'd point to Shaft as a production company that is really doing something different from a presentation standpoint with high production values and making it work. Then I'd also point to Satelight and Manglobe with overall polish that rivals that of KyoAni.

I agree that a refreshing and energetic take on something old can lead to outstanding results (such as Gurren Lagann, which is a new take on 70's anime paired with some of the best artists in current anime, or Kaiba, which takes up old Tezuka values and had also some of the most talented artists of the industry working on it), but such things happen rarely as it means unnecessary risk and it won't work well if the production is bad. It's much easier and safer to copy popular concepts and give them a slightly different presentation, that's why anime scripts are full of cliché these days and the aesthetics are at a standstill. But a good production (i.e. interesting direction and good animation) can eliminate weak points of the script, but most fans overlook these important things as they don't know how much the animation alone can influence them subconsciously. Animation goes way beyond what our eyes can see, it's one of the most important aspects of anime since the main communication with the audience takes place visually. Today's anime relies heavily on the voice actors (as the animation is so limited in most TV animation), who can never achieve what animation is capable in the hands of masters. Some days ago (at Otakon) Yutaka Yamamoto emphasized again how important character animation and acting is, as a former Kyoani employee he carries on their approach/philosophy on animation, namely imbuing characters with life through fuller and more realistic animation, which makes anime more believable and realistic.

Doing something different doesn't mean that it's definitely good, so far I agree with you. But in the case of Endless 8 it's certainly a praiseworthy step they've taken. The episodes are basically the same, that's true, but every single episode has its own nuances through the different teams working on them, and principally they aren't any less enjoyable than most other current anime episodes around. Most recent series are only the 100th incarnation of the same concepts, strictly speaking many studios produce over and over the same series with a slightly different presentation, simply because it's cheap. And maybe this is to some extent also Kyoani's intent, basically: "You are watching the same series for several times, why not watch the same episode multiple times?"

Concerning Birdy 2: I don't want to discuss that in detail here, but let me say one thing: style is only a by-product, the animation itself (i.e. movement) is the crucial point.

And Shaft's production values aren't that high in most cases, in any case nowhere near Kyoani. Shaft is frequently outsourcing important production steps while Kyoani does nearly everything in-house or in its sister studio Do, so a difference in quality is to be expected.
Satelight and manglobe? You are obviously joking, the former outsources on many projects vast parts of the production to Korea (to their usual affiliates like Eagle and Aim Entertainment) and the production is consequently nothing to speak of. And manglobe has always problems with the consistency of quality, they are a rather small studio so they have to rely on studios and artists from all over the industry. Though both studios are usually better than the typical otaku entertainment studios like Deen, Xebec, Arms, ZEXCS,... , but for the most part not comparable with Kyoani.

Tracer said:

The light novels were actually popular before the anime was even made (it won awards too if I'm not mistaken). It can easily be argued that Haruhi is pretty much what made KyoAni what it is right now since none of their other anime sell like Haruhi does (Lucky Star is the only one that even comes close).

The light novel had been popular even before the anime (otherwise there wouldn't be an adaption of course), but the sales increased considerably due to the high number of new fans after the anime started. And the worldwide popularity was triggered by the anime, or did anyone outside Japan know the light novel before it was animated? And Kyoani has been known for their high quality work for a long time, even when they were a subcontractor for other studios.
Jul 22, 2009 4:52 AM
Apr 2009
^^

That's a long post.
Jul 22, 2009 5:12 AM

Jan 2008
noteDhero said:
If you aren't one of those who "complain about the whiners," then I wasn't talking about you, Saorin.

No worries, I didn't feel attacked, just wanted to voice my opinion on that. =)

noteDhero said:
Personally, I don't think that a show is defined at all by its audience's reaction in so much that it just determines its popularity. The public's reaction has no weight or value in the quality of the work, so that argument just doesn't hold for me.

Okay, I disagree though. It might not define the "quality" in the actual sense, but if a show deliberately aims at provoking a certain reaction from the audience, I think this also contributes to how I perceive the work...but that might just be me.

noteDhero said:
I'm not saying that you or anyone else can't have their own opinion. I'm just pointing out the lack of consistency in some people's opinions.

Kay, I see your point. =D

noteDhero said:
Well, I think it's equally crazy for someone to come in here, not having watched the episode and talk about how those who have watched it are retarded. But I don't think that's what's happening.

But that's almost exactly what's happened already (even on this previous page right now). I don't want to quote now, but the expression "retards/retarded people" appeared in this thread way more than necessary. And that's what's pissing me off, seriously.

Jul 22, 2009 8:53 AM

Aug 2008
maxime1007 said:
Foggle said:
KyoAni is doing this to prove a point. They know that even if they shit all over the floor, their fans will gladly eat it up as if it were a delicious steak. They don't even have to fucking try with Haruhi Season 2, they know it will sell DVDs and merchandise.

FUCK, I couldn't had said it better myself

But they are making an effort with this! They use new animation for every episode and their standard high production values. Thats what confuses me. It's like they thought this was a good idea and now feel all shocked at the fans reaction

I really don't get what they're doing with Endless Eight. I'm not angy, I'm just bored
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Jul 22, 2009 10:42 AM

Jul 2008
I think, like a lot of other people have said, this is just Haruhi being Haruhi. The anime has always been original and done things other anime would never do. They aired the first season out of order, and then waited three years while dropping random hints about the new season. Of course they would troll with a million Endless Eights.
Jul 22, 2009 11:12 AM
Nov 2007
Yeah, it's hilarious how everybody has apparently forgotten that Haruhi ALWAYS was completely messed up, and Kyoani ALWAYS threw common sense out the window while producing it.

The first episode was The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina. The rest were out of order. All the misdirection over the years afterwards. And then they never even announced they were actually doing season 2 before it started!

And now people are confused that Endless Eight doesn't make sense?
Jul 22, 2009 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
GarLogan78 said:
I think, like a lot of other people have said, this is just Haruhi being Haruhi. The anime has always been original and done things other anime would never do. They aired the first season out of order, and then waited three years while dropping random hints about the new season. Of course they would troll with a million Endless Eights.

No.

This is Kyoani / Kadokawa being Kyoani / Kadokawa. This is just their interpretation, treatment, and management of the original source material. I highly, highly doubt that the original authors intended to troll their fan base so tirelessly.

And if Endless Eight is some intended critique of the anime industry in the spirit of rebellion, I can only echo my sentiments after watching the similarly themed Sky Crawlers -- sorry, this failure of an attempt at self mockery is not helping your cause or bettering the nature of your industry. All you did was fuck up and that's the only message of significance your work is leaving.

In the end, we look not to examples of what not to be but to examples of what we should be. Rather than producing a sub-par work as an example of everything that is wrong, it would be a much stronger statement to produce a modern classic as an example of everything that is right.

It's like Obama suddenly saying that he's going to screw the US over just to teach us a lesson about not electing bad presidents (as if we didn't have plenty of examples already). What he should be saying is that he's going to try his hardest to do a good job and give the younger generation of voters a new model to gauge future presidential candidates against in the future.

There is a good type of different and there is a bad type of different.

What Haruhi is doing now is innovation in the spirit of the bad type different.
removed-userJul 22, 2009 11:25 AM
Jul 22, 2009 11:55 AM

Apr 2009
so when will Nemek explode ????

the novel = good manga = ok anime = piece of shit ???
Jul 22, 2009 1:05 PM

Jul 2008
Kadokawa/Kyoani will regretted or they will have Karma.

I've been reading forums on the internet that
Kyoani will be the next Gonzo.

Angry Mobs has started since This was announce.

Kyoani/kadokawa " you guys have disappointed us "

What if they will do the same thing to FMP.

Since its Kyoani and Kadokawa again.
Jul 22, 2009 1:19 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Bladecatcher said:
^^

That's a long post.
^^ and that's unnecessary bullshit not worth posting at all.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 22, 2009 1:29 PM

Jul 2008
60 people still clicked 5/5 !!
Jul 22, 2009 1:32 PM
Nov 2007
60 people got the joke.
Jul 22, 2009 1:36 PM

Feb 2008
WAHa_06x36 said:
60 people got the joke.

Eh? 61 that is. >:D
Jul 22, 2009 3:12 PM

Jul 2008
De-JaY said:
WAHa_06x36 said:
60 people got the joke.

Eh? 61 that is. >:D

Jul 22, 2009 3:36 PM

Apr 2009
Sealkid said:

What if they will do the same thing to FMP.

Oh, they'd better not. I've been waiting longer for FMP than for Haruhi. >_<

Jul 22, 2009 6:47 PM

Apr 2009
WAHa_06x36 said:
60 people got the joke.

what about this season 2 has been Favorites: by 188 harutards fans ???
Jul 22, 2009 8:54 PM

Apr 2008
Brian333 said:
GarLogan78 said:

No.

This is Kyoani / Kadokawa being Kyoani / Kadokawa. This is just their interpretation, treatment, and management of the original source material. I highly, highly doubt that the original authors intended to troll their fan base so tirelessly.

And if Endless Eight is some intended critique of the anime industry in the spirit of rebellion, I can only echo my sentiments after watching the similarly themed Sky Crawlers -- sorry, this failure of an attempt at self mockery is not helping your cause or bettering the nature of your industry. All you did was fuck up and that's the only message of significance your work is leaving.

In the end, we look not to examples of what not to be but to examples of what we should be. Rather than producing a sub-par work as an example of everything that is wrong, it would be a much stronger statement to produce a modern classic as an example of everything that is right.

It's like Obama suddenly saying that he's going to screw the US over just to teach us a lesson about not electing bad presidents (as if we didn't have plenty of examples already). What he should be saying is that he's going to try his hardest to do a good job and give the younger generation of voters a new model to gauge future presidential candidates against in the future.

There is a good type of different and there is a bad type of different.

What Haruhi is doing now is innovation in the spirit of the bad type different.

I agree completely with what you said here. I don't think they did it to troll fans or to purposefully aggravate them and turning off a huge fan base. It'd hurt them financially if they purposefully went out of their way to anger fans which nobody wants to do because of the possible economic repercussions of such things. This also might be a reason why some fans are starting to see anime as becoming more and more unoriginal, why gamble when you know at times a formula might work.

That being said, even if this is as some people who defend this as innovative, creative, and intelligent, just because someone had the wherewithal to truly believe this was a good idea, doesn't make it that. It may be creative and quite the joke to some, but when people are expecting great things from a show that was near perfect to many and spend the first 6 episodes (and soon to be 7) and ending up with on the whole 2, maybe 3 original episodes that people can enjoy, you've failed at delivering something people could get behind. It may be different and a creative idea, but it was a risk they took and it greatly back fired. Now they'll just have to salvage whatever is left of the season ad try to win the fans back over.

Personally though, I've become indifferent. I'm not greatly angered by it but nor enjoy it. It's just there. If need be you can always skip over the useless episodes and shorten the arc to something digestible and more tolerable but it still may not feel the same as Haruhi of the old but it's something that the series is now going to have to live with
Jul 23, 2009 2:11 AM

Nov 2007
i drop my rating from 10 to 6, but still hope it has magnificent end! yah it has to be great ending, if not i'll drop it to 5 >< 2 more ep to go....

btw haruhi is really stubborn, 15,521 loop just to wait Kyon said "i love you" ><
Jul 23, 2009 3:14 AM

Apr 2008
In other amusing news from Sankaku, (blahblahblahNSFW) of course we can't expect the Japanese fans not to be pissed either.

While it's good for a chuckle, I certainly don't condone the waste of money there...
Jul 23, 2009 4:02 AM

Mar 2009
Kyoani = God Troll
Jul 23, 2009 4:09 AM

May 2009
Sealkid said:
I've been reading forums on the internet that
Kyoani will be the next Gonzo.

Frankly, I doubt that. Especially when the non-E8 episodes of Haruhi prove to be well worth the wait. And that's assuming the 'fans' respond to them the way I expect them to.

Also, I'm sure KyoAni can afford losing money on one show once in a while. Not like they depend on the success of this show to stay afloat (other than Gonzo, who are already heavy in debt and need quite a few hit series to survive).

The only way for this to happen is for every KyoAni series to bomb and given the company's past record, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2009 7:08 AM

Aug 2008
KyoAni just pawned randomharuhifanboy's head!

KyoAni is beyond GODLIKE!
Jul 23, 2009 8:00 AM

Sep 2008
Spade said:
FaintBrushfire said:
Jeanne-chi said:
I think the solution might be in this:

Maybe Kyon should do it.

It's getting reallly boring. Still 3 episodes to go... TT^TT

Even better...
Maybe Koizumi should do it.
;)

Even better...
Kyon should do it to Koizumi.
;)

WIN ♥
Jul 23, 2009 8:19 AM

Apr 2009
Hannah-Hime said:
Spade said:
FaintBrushfire said:
Jeanne-chi said:

Maybe Kyon should do it.

Even better...
;)

Even better...
;)

WIN ♥

No! Lose!

Lost the game...

Jul 23, 2009 8:34 AM

Sep 2007
Waffocopter said:
Hannah-Hime said:
Spade said:
FaintBrushfire said:
Jeanne-chi said:

Maybe Kyon should do it.

Even better...
;)

Even better...
;)

WIN ♥

No! Lose!

Lost the game...

You just can't handle the truth!
Jul 23, 2009 9:03 AM
Dec 2008
What if KyoAni was a stalker?
Jul 23, 2009 1:28 PM
May 2008
I really don't get what they're doing with Endless Eight. I'm not angy, I'm just bored
Jul 23, 2009 6:31 PM

Aug 2008
LOL It took me 25 minutes to go through 4 episodes (I was at ep.2_)

Good thing. ... I bet next time it's over ! Is there pools or bets$?

Jul 23, 2009 7:44 PM

Oct 2008
Loop #15,521

This episode is a lot different than the other ones. It seems that Kyon still can't come up with any ideas as to what Haruhi's hint is, even though there is most likely one. There is something that Haruhi isn't satisfied of and thus, she does not want the summer vacation to end but what else does she still want to do?

Next episode

Jul 23, 2009 8:16 PM

Apr 2009
Heh, it's fun to see people's theories on what they think will end the looping.

Jul 24, 2009 4:35 AM

Nov 2007
Loop thingy makes me tiring but at the same time excited to watch. Weird me.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 24, 2009 6:44 PM

Oct 2007
2 more episodes.... just 2 more....

o_o; I'm amazed I still post nowadays too.
I think you should join THIS Fanclub. (:
Jul 25, 2009 1:14 PM
Apr 2008
I wounder what it is that she wants. Maybe it really is an summer flirt. :)

It was still nearly the same as the others. Gets an 2
Jul 25, 2009 11:05 PM

Dec 2007
I still stick to this series despite that I am bored with it. I still watch the rest of the episodes to see if they find the solve to end endless loop.
Jul 27, 2009 5:00 AM

Jul 2009
THis episode was nothing new, I gave it 3. Cause it was just meh. But I did like the clock thing, but the fact that it stopped right befroe midnight implies it will happen again, even though that's obvious. I personally think there is some really deep clue, just don't know what it is, either has to do with the kiss, or the homeowrk. Or it could be as simple as doing the thing Haruhi had set the day aside for. Well only time will tell right?

Signature made by me. x3
Jul 27, 2009 8:35 PM

Jul 2007
Fail. I really liked the first 2-3 episodes of E8 a lot. I was mildly disappointed that there was no conclusion in the following episode. But by now all that's left is only pure faill. Wtf would they do this crap? To save animation money? -_- Well, it sure might be an interesting concept to give out a little bit of a clue every episode, just to be like OH MY GOOOD SUUUUURE when it's all concluded. But I think they're really overdoing it. Plz stop.

The next arc better be good enough to make up for this.
Jul 29, 2009 8:10 AM

Aug 2008
yeah like captain falcon jumps in and beats the shit out of kyon beacuse haruhi is mad that he put her off for the 16,000th time. then everyone has sex.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jul 29, 2009 11:16 AM

Mar 2009
it just no fun seeing the same thing
i hate endless eight

Jul 29, 2009 6:55 PM

Aug 2008
Skipped right to the end suprise suprise deja vu.

Okay so I had to watch Mikuru on the phone again :D

Aug 2, 2009 10:58 PM

Jul 2008
anyone else feeling really frustrated that they keep giving us the same stuff over and over again?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Aug 10, 2009 11:36 AM

Dec 2008
kage-bunshin said:
anyone else feeling really frustrated that they keep giving us the same stuff over and over again?

oh yea. I'm still woundering why they dont put it on the last loop and then play it from there. After 3 or so episodes i think we get the idea of what a loop is do us a favor and just go to the last loop and fix the damn thing.
Aug 16, 2009 12:52 AM
Aug 2008
This is my favorite out of the endless eight so far ^^

I also figured out the soulution to their problem
Sep 3, 2009 8:18 AM

Oct 2008
StellaX said:

I also figured out the soulution to their problem

That might be true :) we shall see I guess.
But a flirt with Kyon would work too^^

Fav part? Koizumi in a speedo <3 <3

Only a vampire can love you forever.
Sep 16, 2009 7:01 PM

Jul 2008
GOD this is getting really annoying.
My brother's pissed at me for watching it, but I don't want to stop. I don't care how they solve it. I just want it to end. Please, God, make it end. ;_;

Koizumi in a Speedo = excellent. Irl I hate Speedos because I don't like seeing skintight material stretched over a dude's penis but since it's 2-d it had no detail. Hot.
Nov 5, 2009 6:05 PM

Jul 2009
HUahh..i'm tired..dude i feel sorry for Nagato she taste the endless summer for what 15.000++

3 episode to go for endless eight
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »

More topics from this board

» The 2024 Season 3 Thread

anizawa89 - Jun 21

8 by moonboie »»
Yesterday, 6:36 AM

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1541 by Dango41 »»
Jun 21, 9:11 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

450 by Thwiggy »»
Jun 12, 1:42 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Fabrice - Jun 25, 2009

248 by Timeline_man »»
Jun 10, 12:44 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

293 by AbrahamGAGA2002 »»
Jun 8, 11:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.