Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (38) « First ... « 25 26 [27] 28 29 » ... Last »
Apr 25, 2015 2:43 PM

Sep 2011
sushiisawesome said:
[
NotJizzyHitler said:
Fellow tales of brother in arms, though is hearts really all that good

I like what it turns into later on, the part about collecting shards is just build up for how great it becomes later on.

I suggest you continue it, it pays off.
hopefully it'll capture me more, i think the point am at now was i just crossed through the desert and am going into some military owned town, kohaku already has back pretty much all her feelings so im thinking.hoping shes only got like 1 or 2 more left and that plotline will be over and done with

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 26, 2015 3:30 AM

Feb 2008
baki502 said:
Well imagine getting a Ps4 remaster of a Ps2 or Ps3 game and it still looks the same. People would naturally be pissed.

That comparison makes no sense. The game is new and the ported version is the newest version in the series. It's like an Xbox exclusive coming to Sony console and looking the same. People that port games aren't obligated to make the game look better as it would take even much more money and resources they wouldn't get back since it's a niche game. I could see people have the same complains about the Way of the Samurai 4 port (if they ever release it) since the graphics will remain like PS3, maybe with some additional settings for it, but roughly the same. I'll play it to death tho, most hyped game this year haha.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 26, 2015 8:25 AM

Apr 2012
ZetaZaku said:
baki502 said:
Well imagine getting a Ps4 remaster of a Ps2 or Ps3 game and it still looks the same. People would naturally be pissed.

That comparison makes no sense. The game is new and the ported version is the newest version in the series. It's like an Xbox exclusive coming to Sony console and looking the same. People that port games aren't obligated to make the game look better as it would take even much more money and resources they wouldn't get back since it's a niche game. I could see people have the same complains about the Way of the Samurai 4 port (if they ever release it) since the graphics will remain like PS3, maybe with some additional settings for it, but roughly the same. I'll play it to death tho, most hyped game this year haha.

Well it does make perfect sense since the reason you do a Remaster is to pimp up the game to the current technology the platform you are remastering to. And well between consoles and the PC there is effectively already a 5 year difference in terms of technology, the recent consoles launched outdated already, for the first time in history of consoles so noticably.

So yeah, I expect that devs to make proper of use the system they port to, not just simply make it run and then release it like that. I am a PC Gamer because I want the highest fidelity and quality possible paired with the most flexibility. So I expect improvements AND options. Because not only do I want high fidelity, I also want flexibility, that means customizing the experience I have to my wishes. GTA V for example has some really annoying chromatic abboration effect in it that I would like removed. Would have loved if there was an option to turn it off.

Is this attitude entitled? Maybe, but I dont care. Its completely fine to just want to game and be happy with that, but at the same time I think its also fine to always crave for the best.
Apr 26, 2015 9:55 AM

Apr 2012
Btw I took a quick look at that site and since I had something important to do I naturally did not do that and wasted my time putting up a chart of my own instead :D.
No particular order except the big photo which is my favourite of all.

http://i.imgur.com/tx1EVeb.jpg

Apr 26, 2015 3:09 PM

Sep 2011
I like this.
Apr 27, 2015 1:27 AM

Apr 2012
Made a little wallpaper at 3 am today cause I am a madman,if anybody wants it, there you go:

http://i.imgur.com/8woROdt.jpg
Apr 27, 2015 10:54 AM

Feb 2008
Need to get into the Metro franchise. I created my Steam account for a Metro giveway and still never played it sadly. It's funny how I didn't start using Steam until years later haha.

Since everyone is making these, made one myself in 5min. It's no definite list, hard picking just 9, but they are the games I revisit often (not all though).

Guess I don't need to explain what each picture is haha.

Apr 27, 2015 11:49 AM
Jun 2008
Same criticism as with sushiisawesome's pic - too many weeb games.

And generally on all pics, why so little (relatively) love for games older than 10-15 years?
Wind_FalconApr 27, 2015 11:53 AM
Apr 27, 2015 12:38 PM

Apr 2012
Wind_Falcon said:

And generally on all pics, why so little (relatively) love for games older than 10-15 years?

To be fair, I had no weeb games at all, so it balances out :D. There doesnt seem to be many "balanced" tastes, with both jap and western games equally in the list...

As for why little older games, probably because most didnt get to play that much in the past. All I got as a kid was a gameboy and thats it. A PC sometime later on when I was already 12, and even there, hardly ever got any games at all.
Apr 27, 2015 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
Wind_Falcon said:

If Megaman, Zelda, Tetris and Metal Gear Solid are weeb games, I must be pretty into weeb games haha. And half of my games are from the 90s, unless PS1 and SNES are somehow 2000+ games. I grew up playing SNES and PS1 games, so it's kinda obvious that I'm more into Japanese games (classic Resident Evil, Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, Dark Souls for new games). Didn't get into PC gaming until 2003. with GTA Vice City.

@baki Your "weeb" game took 4 spaces haha.
ZetaZakuApr 27, 2015 2:31 PM

Apr 27, 2015 2:26 PM

Sep 2011
talking about too many weeb games on myanimelist.net

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 27, 2015 2:46 PM
Jun 2008
You do realize this is essentially the anti-weeb anime club right :D ? Or as anti-weeb you can get in this sort of site while still enjoying the medium (though I have to say that the Ubermensh monocled tastes in anime and manga don't necessarily translate to games as well, at least from what I've gathered from my time in the gaming threads here, though I guess that's because for most people here their primary hobby is anime and manga and not games, which is understandable).

@ZetaZaku Only my first line in my previous comment was directed specifically at your list. You do strike a balance, but there are many great games even from the 80s that are definitely top material.

And the weeb games remark was for the three lists combined, it's true baki that you do indeed strike more of a balance between where the games you play come from.

But generally, I find it pretty strange how little people go out of their comfort zone, especially people that grew up on the consoles. No matter how many people I ask "Why not try things on the other side?" I always get the non-asnwer of "I didn't grew up on it". I personally have had no problem going back to consoles and games that I passed or were way before my time. I definitely don't think there are that many great or better games in any one particular niche that a person won't have time or energy to try to expand his played library (unless he plays only stuff like strategy games or competitive online games which one can play forever, like chess, but even then he'll surely need a "change of so to speak").
Wind_FalconApr 27, 2015 2:58 PM
Apr 27, 2015 3:06 PM

Aug 2009
Wind_Falcon said:
You do realize this is essentially the anti-weeb anime club right :D ?

You do realize it's supposed to be sarcasm, right? But I guess you glossed over the fine print, like many other members have. Which is probably not a problem, since you're clearly not the only one who has done that. A lot of people are allergic to reading, I guess.

Also, I totally didn't know that all Japanese games = weeb games. Wow, I guess I have to reiterate my current knowledge of video games because apparently, I'm not caught up! Thanks for that. It's nice to have someone know the definition of weaboo and apply it perfectly in this context. I guess we're all weaboos here, amirite? Damn, what a revelation. Mind blown. No, really!

Also damn, my oldest favorites are somewhere in the 90s. I guess not old enough? Damn. Should I look back in the 20s or something when things were more relevant than they are now? Well I'm going to start doing that now. Thank you, kind sir!
Apr 27, 2015 3:14 PM

Jul 2012
dietmango said:
Wind_Falcon said:
You do realize this is essentially the anti-weeb anime club right :D ?

You do realize it's supposed to be sarcasm, right? But I guess you glossed over the fine print, like many other members have. Which is probably not a problem, since you're clearly not the only one who has done that. A lot of people are allergic to reading, I guess.

Also, I totally didn't know that all Japanese games = weeb games. Wow, I guess I have to reiterate my current knowledge of video games because apparently, I'm not caught up! Thanks for that. It's nice to have someone know the definition of weaboo and apply it perfectly in this context. I guess we're all weaboos here, amirite? Damn, what a revelation. Mind blown. No, really!

Also damn, my oldest favorites are somewhere in the 90s. I guess not old enough? Damn. Should I look back in the 20s or something when things were more relevant than they are now? Well I'm going to start doing that now. Thank you, kind sir!
It's okay Mango, I won't ignore this beautiful response. <3
Apr 27, 2015 3:17 PM
Jun 2008
@dietmango I find it funny telling me I missed the sarcasm, and then making a whole post doing exactly that... In response to my post (the ":D" should have been a dead giveaway) where I responded to people not getting the sarcasm in my original 2 line, obviously trollish and snarky post.

Sarcasmception!
Wind_FalconApr 27, 2015 3:23 PM
Apr 27, 2015 3:45 PM

Aug 2009
Lol it's funny because earlier, you were complaining about someone having too much 'weeb' games and no balance, plus us not having older games on our list. And then later try poorly to defend yourself claiming you yourself were being sarcastic and apparently, I "missed" it.

Gonna let you think about that for a sec. Lol
Apr 27, 2015 3:47 PM
Jun 2008
I made my original 2 line jab because people set themselves up for it. Later I (half-seriously) tried to expand it into something more than that based on the reaction to it.

What's so hard to get?

Like I already said in one of my posts, people had already made the weeb remark long before me.
Apr 29, 2015 2:27 AM

Feb 2012
Fuck all dat Ys 6 came out on PC yesterday, based XSEED, time for another nightmare run!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzfodAERwuU
Apr 29, 2015 5:11 AM

Feb 2008
Tell me how it was when you finish it. I'm not touching it until you confirm zero crashes haha. Still have nightmares thanks to Ys Origin....

Apr 30, 2015 9:46 AM

Jul 2013
I just beat Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. I played the original and SOTN back in college. I'm really loving this series (and the music) but I think I'll take a wee break from it to play some other games.

I'm going to begin Advance Wars for the GBA as my brother highly recommended it. This is my first time playing this series. Do you guys have any thoughts on it?
Apr 30, 2015 10:53 AM

Jan 2014
Buy a couple of strong units but spam infantry. Your opponent can't get to your towns and expensive units if you wall them with dozens of cannon fodder! Plus you kind of need them to take cities anyway.
May 2, 2015 8:27 AM

Mar 2009
Nagisa33 said:
I just beat Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. I played the original and SOTN back in college. I'm really loving this series (and the music) but I think I'll take a wee break from it to play some other games.

I'm going to begin Advance Wars for the GBA as my brother highly recommended it. This is my first time playing this series. Do you guys have any thoughts on it?

you're missing the better ones: Dawn of
Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. Is circle of the moon any good? I think it was removed from canon continuity.
May 2, 2015 9:16 AM

Jul 2013
I'm going to add those to my list now! :)

Circle of the Moon is ok. To be honest, it's my least favorite out of those listed. It's not a terrible game, just not too special in my eyes. My brother enjoyed it much more than me as he liked it for the challenge. The DDS card system makes things interesting as you can combine them to have unique powers. For example, you can turn into a skeleton, summon a lightning bird, or make your whip freeze enemies solid.

What are your top Castlevania games?
Nagisa33May 2, 2015 9:44 AM
May 3, 2015 8:03 AM

Mar 2009
Number one is Symphony of the Night or Portrait of Ruin for me, followed by Dawn of Sorrow, then maybe Super Castlevania IV, Lords of Shadow, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia... I have hardly played Rondo of Blood or Circle of the Moon.

Everyone's tastes are so different, though. Will you like classic style or metroidvanias, will you hate Lords of Shadow? I'm not sure. I've seen people made fun of for putting Lords of Shadow and Portrait of Ruin in their top five, even though many seem to like them. In fact, I'm really confused about what people wouldn't like in Portrait of Ruin. I think it's wonderful. Order of Ecclesia is one of my least favorites, but most fans love it.

I also hear some people really like Curse of Darkness, but I've not played it.
May 3, 2015 8:57 AM

Feb 2008
I'm ashamed to say, but I haven't played that many Castlevania games. Just 1, 4, Dawn of Sorrow and bits of Symphony of the Night. If I had to rate them, I'd say 4>DoS>1, SotN I haven't finished yet because too lazy and not too big on the Metroidvania. I liked the linear progression in 4 better than the backtracking in DoS and SotN.

May 3, 2015 9:48 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah. I understand. Personally, I prefer metroidvanias.
May 3, 2015 11:43 PM
Aug 2014
I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3D recently and it's great. The combat is tactical since you can't just rush in and spam moves you have to set up certain attacks (Example: Use Air Slash then have team member use Hammer Beat to inflict topple which is used in certain enemies to damage them.) The art style is nice but the 3DS doesn't do the game any justice with the pixels and the jaggies. The game is about 70+ hours long if you do side missions and the main story. I heard getting 100% is pretty difficult though.
May 4, 2015 5:02 AM

Apr 2012
Been playing quite a bit of Deus Ex HR. Started it long ago but got frustrated in the first mission, now I picked it up agaian and it got me kinda hooked. Thing is I started right before the first decisions happen, so I only experienced the average sneaking and combat mechanics. But damn, the game has some great decisions to take and some great side missions.
Also reminds me quite alot of Ghost in the Shell.
May 4, 2015 7:20 AM
Jun 2008
If you haven't played the progenitors of that style of game - Ultima Underworld, the two System Shocks, the original Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines, don't miss them. They make Human Revolution look like an abortion.

The original Deus Ex has a lot more GitS in it as well, it even has Motoko and Batou homage characters in it.
Wind_FalconMay 4, 2015 7:23 AM
May 4, 2015 7:31 AM

Apr 2012
Wind_Falcon said:
If you haven't played the progenitors of that style of game - Ultima Underworld, the two System Shocks, the original Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines, don't miss them. They make Human Revolution look like an abortion.

The original Deus Ex has a lot more GitS in it as well, it even has Motoko and Batou homage characters in it.

I tried playing System Schock 2, but damn it gave me a headache. Its got 1440p resolution but the font is abysmally small and in general it hurt my eyes literally looking at it. Its not bad graphics I can tolerate that, but for some reason its nauseating for me. Id have to see if I find some mods that can fix that. As for the other games, yeah I guess I should definetly try them once. But so many games so little time...
May 4, 2015 11:07 PM

Aug 2009
AlabastreAizo said:

There was that Axion Verge game that came out recently. Wonder if anyone's played it yet. Been on the fence on getting it or not.
May 5, 2015 8:04 AM

Mar 2009
dietmango said:
AlabastreAizo said:

There was that Axion Verge game that came out recently. Wonder if anyone's played it yet. Been on the fence on getting it or not.

I am not interested at all. Super bleak aesthetic and game design, crazy buggy, no thanks.
May 5, 2015 8:28 AM
Nov 2009
AlabastreAizo said:
dietmango said:

I am not interested at all. Super bleak aesthetic and game design, crazy buggy, no thanks.

I heard it's good, though it looks bad visually. But the game mechanics seem original enough and apparently the story is interesting.
May 5, 2015 8:39 AM

Feb 2012
I thought it looked pretty bad until the combat started in the trailer, looks like a cool variety of tools? Bugs though :s
May 6, 2015 7:47 AM

Sep 2014
ZetaZaku said:
Need to get into the Metro franchise. I created my Steam account for a Metro giveway and still never played it sadly. It's funny how I didn't start using Steam until years later haha.

Since everyone is making these, made one myself in 5min. It's no definite list, hard picking just 9, but they are the games I revisit often (not all though).

+1000000000 pts for Dynasty Warriors Gundam
May 6, 2015 8:56 AM

Jul 2013
Here are my favorite games in no particular order. Many here are singleplayer but I had a ton fun playing with friends and my brother. We spent many hours playing Mario Party 2, Halo 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Timesplitters 2. A lot of pizza was ordered and many a friendship was ruined. :)

It's interesting to see how my game playing has shifted throughout the years. When I was little all I played was multiplayer-centric games. Now I mostly play singleplayer games. My friends don't play with each other as often though we still talk about what we're playing. Occasionally we have a team battle series for Melee, which is always a blast.

Nagisa33May 6, 2015 9:10 AM
May 6, 2015 9:32 AM
Nov 2009
Mine are displayed here https://player.me/mugi but as always, I couldn't really choose definite favorites over others.

Mystical Ninja Goemon is an interesting pick. Metroid Prime over certain 2D as well. Assuming you've played them.
May 6, 2015 10:42 AM

Apr 2012
mugi said:
Mine are displayed here https://player.me/mugi but as always, I couldn't really choose definite favorites over others.

Mystical Ninja Goemon is an interesting pick. Metroid Prime over certain 2D as well. Assuming you've played them.

Liked games: 110
I dont think you quite get the word Favourite here :D
May 6, 2015 10:53 AM

Jul 2013
mugi said:

It was a big game for my brother and I. Our parents got my brother and I Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon as one of our first games (Pokemon Red/Blue was our first. Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing came soon after.) We couldn't save the game because we were missing the memory pack. That didn't stop us from playing it though. We played all the way until after the giant robot fight. Sometimes we even got to the area. We eventually got the memory pack from our cousins (who were big into PS1 at the time. Anyway, after we got it that's all we played. We took turns together and eventually beat it. Every so often we play it again. In fact, my brother just beat it last year. It's a game that captured us from the second we started it. The gameplay is similar to Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, two games we love. The opening and robot song, the colorful enemies, and the PLASMA!!!!!! guy were all so foreign, colorful, and exciting to us.

Here's some of the wackiness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbPDuaWpHnc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tNFSO_3dQ

As for Metroid Prime, I explained a bit why I love it a few posts back. The music, atmosphere, and tone sucked me in. Besides that, the scanning, the puzzles, and the boss fights were a treat. I enjoy the Prime series way more than the 2D ones though Super Metroid is still a great game and it's one of the best Super Nintendo games. Though after playing SOTN, I see improvements. I believe the gameplay feels more fluid and getting from place to place is easier. The scanning visor in Super Metroid is a bit of a pain. I also preferred the bosses in SOTN. The music in both games is superb.
May 6, 2015 1:32 PM

Feb 2008
mugi said:

Almost started playing Skies of Arcadia the other day, but ended up starting Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. Got a Wii recently and funny enough, I invested more time into GameCube games. Skies of Arcadia and Baten Kaitos are some games I want to check out as soon as possible.

May 6, 2015 2:14 PM
Nov 2009
baki502 said:

Liked games: 110
I dont think you quite get the word Favourite here :D

Player.me initially only had the function to like games to add them to the library and you could put 9 favorites on the profile. They got rid of "favorites" when they improved the library function but the 9 pins on the profile still serve the same purpose I guess.

Nagisa33 said:
mugi said:

It was a big game for my brother and I. Our parents got my brother and I Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon as one of our first games (Pokemon Red/Blue was our first. Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing came soon after.) We couldn't save the game because we were missing the memory pack. That didn't stop us from playing it though. We played all the way until after the giant robot fight. Sometimes we even got to the area. We eventually got the memory pack from our cousins (who were big into PS1 at the time. Anyway, after we got it that's all we played. We took turns together and eventually beat it. Every so often we play it again. In fact, my brother just beat it last year. It's a game that captured us from the second we started it. The gameplay is similar to Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, two games we love. The opening and robot song, the colorful enemies, and the PLASMA!!!!!! guy were all so foreign, colorful, and exciting to us.

Here's some of the wackiness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbPDuaWpHnc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tNFSO_3dQ

As for Metroid Prime, I explained a bit why I love it a few posts back. The music, atmosphere, and tone sucked me in. Besides that, the scanning, the puzzles, and the boss fights were a treat. I enjoy the Prime series way more than the 2D ones though Super Metroid is still a great game and it's one of the best Super Nintendo games. Though after playing SOTN, I see improvements. I believe the gameplay feels more fluid and getting from place to place is easier. The scanning visor in Super Metroid is a bit of a pain. I also preferred the bosses in SOTN. The music in both games is superb.

Heh, I had the same experience with the lack of memory cards on my early days of owning my own consoles.
I'm actually not too familiar with Metroid, though I played Prime but mostly the multiplayer. I heard one of the GBA games is supposedly the "best".

Goemon was a game we never owned but I saw it somewhere else early on. I think we borrowed it from someone once and it was my type of games but I must have been like 7 or so during that and only watched my brother playing games rather than playing myself. As a child, the lack of information created some kind of myth around things all the time, like discovering TV shows, but the concept or airing schedules was unknown so the show became a myth. Same happened to Goemon, truly a mystical game to me back then.

ZetaZaku said:
mugi said:

Almost started playing Skies of Arcadia the other day, but ended up starting Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. Got a Wii recently and funny enough, I invested more time into GameCube games. Skies of Arcadia and Baten Kaitos are some games I want to check out as soon as possible.

It's so good. The charming cast, the sound is pure nostalgia to me and the world is also big with interesting areas, considering that it's a world consisting of floating islands.
I don't know if you played Valkyrie Chronicles, but two of the SoA characters were in it.
mugiMay 8, 2015 10:26 AM
May 6, 2015 2:43 PM

Jul 2013
mugi said:

I'm actually not too familiar with Metroid, though I played Prime but mostly the multiplayer. I heard one of the GBA games is supposedly the "best".

For the GBA there's:

-Classic NES Series Metroid. A port of the original but with the ability to save. Yay!

-Metroid: Zero Mission: a remake with many added features and includes the original. 2 games in one. If you want to play the original then play this. Overall though, it's an ok game. Not as good as Fusion.

-Metroid Fusion: similar to Super Metroid in terms of gameplay. It has some unique abilities, which make it interesting. Using the hyper run and screw attack in this was awesome. Also, you're hunted by a stronger foe, which increases the tension. This is the completely new entry into the series and it's most likely the one you're talking about. It's a fun game and it's what got me interested in Super Metroid. My enjoyment with it is pretty much the same. I might like Fusion a tad more than Super.

Bonus! You can also link Fusion with Metroid Prime to wear the Fusion Suit, which was pretty cool. (The Phazon Suit is still the best looking though)
Nagisa33May 6, 2015 2:46 PM
May 8, 2015 8:24 AM

Jul 2013
I love Shovel Knight! I'm about halfway though I think and I'm having so much fun. The jokes are great and the music is baller. What a great way to start the game with this track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGBFDut-MgI

What did you guys think of it?
May 8, 2015 8:59 AM

Feb 2008
mugi said:
It's so good. The cast charming, the sound is pure nostalgia to me and the world is also big with interesting areas, considering that it's a world consisting of floating islands.
I don't know if you played Valkyrie Chronicles, but two of the SoA characters were in it.

Good thing I didn't play VC yet. I'll save VC until I get to Skies of Arcadia then. I'll probably play SoA as soon as I finish Fire Emblem.

Also 100%-ed Just Cause and I have to say I hate the game at this point. It was all fun until you realize you were mostly killed by your allies parking their cars over your body. I never had to worry about enemies killing me, I had to watch my bag and pray that my allies don't hit me with their cars. It easily turned from fun to frustrating. Then there's the whole thing where devs think that making a huge map makes the game better, and it backfires when you see how bland and barren the map is. I'd rather have a small map with tons of content, than a huge map with nothing.

Anyone interested in the series, just skip to Just Cause 2 and pretend 1 doesn't exist. It's waste of time.

May 8, 2015 9:22 AM

Sep 2014
Finished Valkyria Chronicles

It's shit
May 8, 2015 12:02 PM
Nov 2009
Did anyone play the FF remakes for DS?
III seems alright but I'm not sure if I can accept the aesthetic for IV. The music seems great though

Wrong thread I guess...
mugiMay 8, 2015 12:07 PM
May 8, 2015 10:15 PM
Jun 2008
The FFIV DS remake has it's ups and downs. As a whole the gameplay is quite different from the original (completely rebalanced, changed skills, etc.). The cutscenes and visuals are up to personal preference. I think it's cool too see these classic moments play out in 3D, but I still prefer the pixel graphics, they were more expressive and you could feel the Amano touch in them more. The translation is another point where most people have differing opinions - some think it's "too flowery", but the sad truth is that every FFIV game out there has a botched translation (yes, even the PSP one, you can read more about the differences in the translations here - http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/), so the DS remake is probably the best translation we'll get officially. I just still hope there will be another fan translation for the SNES version, and finally give us the classic as it should have been (J2e's translation is sometimes good, sometimes atrocious). The DS version has the added bonus that if you're emulating the game, you can hack the Japanese voice acting back in (which as of now you can't do with the other ports that are based on the DS version, as far as I know, but people are trying to change that).

And that's basically it. It's a great version to mix things up if you like the game, but the SNES version remains the best one imo.

FFIII is perfectly playable with the NES fan translation (which if I remember correctly is all around great), so I don't see the charm of the DS remake for III. Maybe if they rebalanced some of the classes so they aren't completely unusable, maybe then it would be worth a playthrough.
Wind_FalconMay 8, 2015 10:20 PM
May 8, 2015 10:43 PM

Jul 2013
All I really cared about was the pixelated aesthetic. I have FF6 for the GBA. As for the changes, there's a more faithful translation for it, two new dungeons, 4 new espers, a bestiary, the characters have their menu portraits while talking, and there's some other little changes. Plus, I like playing on the go, especially for older, 2D games so this fits my style. Now, this is my first Final Fantasy and I'm still playing through it. All seems well technically with the game so far.

Though I have to say, I'm having a hard time getting into the experience. I pick it up for an hour or two then stop playing for months. I beat the martial artist on the mountain last time and now I'm at Figaro Town. I don't have much interest to pick it up and start playing anytime soon. I still feel like it's something I should eventually play.

In any case, I'm grateful that FF6 and many other games are on multiple platforms and therefore more accessible nowadays.
Nagisa33May 8, 2015 11:12 PM
May 8, 2015 11:28 PM
Jun 2008
The downside is that in FF's case, every time they port a game, they botch something up, so there is never a definitive version of a game out (at least not an official one).

FFVI for the GBA has washed out colors and inferior sounding music, has the few censored sprites like any other non-Japanese version, and the translation is again divisive (from the same translator as the FFIV DS I think), not to mention the 100+ bugs that the community has found in the different ports of the game. For VI there are more fan translations though (and most of them try to fix everything) so anyone can find the best translation/version for themselves.
Wind_FalconMay 8, 2015 11:33 PM
May 9, 2015 11:32 AM

Apr 2012
I want to get into Fire Emblem. Where do I start?
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (38) « First ... « 25 26 [27] 28 29 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.