Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2015 11:37 PM

Jun 2013
I knew what was coming and it still got me. Honestly I felt that the past couple of episodes have been stale but this was quite the finale. They did a great job translating this into an anime and it followed the manga pretty precisely.

The whole "friend A" thing pissed me off until the very end. So pretty much Kaori liked Kousei but couldnt get him so she decides to make him fall for her thus reversing the roles because she used Watari. Nice job screwing everything up. The real loser here was Watari, the poor dude just got used with no result at the end. I can't bring myself to hate Kaori, but I just can't like her as much as I did towards the beginning of the series.

Good end, 8/10.
Mar 19, 2015 11:38 PM
Nov 2013
Forced tragedy ending that didn't actually need to happen, not only was it just downright depressing to watch. It didn't give me as a viewer and fan of the series right up until the end, any sense of closure at all. If asking what could have been was the authors intention then he sure lived up to that story.

Could have been' more but with a sad ending like that, what kind of story could have come next? Kousei ends up sad forever with Tsubaki, Watari moves on but still feels bad for his best friend. So Tragedy... awesome job. You suck.
Mar 19, 2015 11:40 PM
Nov 2010
Awesome show. It was terribly sad, and although it didn't give me the same strong feels as Clannad (in the case of Clannad, I had to take some time to recover from the feels before I could move on to another anime), Shigatsu still grasped my heart. :)

My only gripe with the show is how much of the humor doesn't jell in well with the rest of the content in the anime (it tends to emerge at inappropriate times). That's except towards the end. If anything, the humor isn't really funny. Other than that, it has been a great emotional ride and I will not forget this anime :)
Mar 19, 2015 11:48 PM

Jan 2011
shit was this show hard to get through countless crappy monologues even worst characters all i was hoping for was something like Sakamichi but nopee at least the music was good best part in fact.
and normally i never have a issue with comedy in shows but this had the same problem Akame ga kill had where it throws it at you every second even when heavy drama is going on and it ruins the whole flow not to mention most of it is hit or miss more misses for me because it's the same yelling with silly expressions gag Every damn time EVERYTIME
6/10
katsu044Mar 19, 2015 11:52 PM
Mar 19, 2015 11:51 PM

Mar 2009
Such a good ending... sad and happy at the same time. Truly a celebration of life!
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Mar 19, 2015 11:55 PM

Dec 2012
Final episode. This was amazing and so beautiful.
Kousei and Kaori being able to play one more time together. That was great, but sad saying goodbye.
Like how Kaori set this whole thing up in order to meet Kousei and be able to play music together.
Farewell Kaori we will all miss you.
Kaori X Kousei forever.
Overall an amazing and beautiful show.
10/10
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 20, 2015 12:09 AM

Nov 2011
2nd half of the show was not good, last ep surprisingly had me emotional.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 20, 2015 12:28 AM
Feb 2012
After last week's episode I had this tiny bit of hope left that things might turn out positive. You know, music transcends everything worldly and the duo's connection is enough to overcome a deadly disease.

Well, it wasn't...
Once Kousei saw Kaori appear in front of him, not only he but we too knew what was coming our way. That alone was heartbreaking enough. But what followed -- the duet and most importantly, Kaori's flashback -- had me on the ropes. My emotions were sent on a rollercoaster ride, having me smile in one moment due to the sheer beauty of such an innocent love, but having me cry in sorrow in the other due to the sheer tragedy of same love. Even now, thinking back, I tear up and get this bittersweet feeling.
But you know what? It's a perfect ending. That final bit of tragedy is what made this show ultimately. A happy ending would've pleased many, no doubt, but this one is what makes the show so unbelievably good. A clear 10 in my eyes if you want.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 20, 2015 12:31 AM

Mar 2011
Great anime ended, 8.8/10 T_T

Lil Kaori too damn Cute..
10 - [A+] Personal favourite: Best of its genre.
9 - [A] Excellent: Highly enjoyable and memorable.
8 - [B] Great: Genuinely liked and worthwhile.
7 - [C] Average: It's average, still entertaining.
6 - [D] Poor: It's aight. Flawed show.
5 - [E] Bad: Why did i even watch this.
< - [F] Uhh: Nani the fuck?!
Mar 20, 2015 12:35 AM

May 2013
Ah the ending. Not really expected her to survive it, but maybe, just maybe, he would have said or done something sooner before her operation. Got used to this kind of feels, so I didn't actually had any regrets. It's sad though that the two things she left him was a letter and a picture of them when they were small kids. Memories are also unforgettable might I add.

That last smile of Kaori at the end was beautiful. She will be missed forever.
8/10
Not surprised that the rating is so high now. Let's just see after a few weeks.
Mar 20, 2015 12:37 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
7/10 Was a bit dragged at the end and obviously predictable.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 20, 2015 12:38 AM

Apr 2013
Rip in piece Kaori

Didn't tear up at all, might have worked better if they didn't foreshadow it every episode before this
Mar 20, 2015 1:14 AM
Jul 2018
From the moment I had finished reading the letter section of the manga, I had been dreading this episode. The anime adaptation did a really well job with a few order changes and the dropping of some scenes but overall it was very well done.

The added elements of audio and visual animation helped make the manga come alive in this anime. While I would have preferred the show being set at a higher age bracket too allow for greater exploration of interpersonal relations, it still was fairly well executed.

I see there were some comparisons too Clannad & Clannad Afterstory I believe that Shigatsu and Clannad shouldn't be compared as while they both deal with tragedy, the make up of the shows are too dissimilar in the tone, and setting.

However they both gave me tears :'(.
Mar 20, 2015 1:17 AM

Dec 2014
"A spring without you is coming"
Mar 20, 2015 1:19 AM

Mar 2008
:'(
Mar 20, 2015 1:22 AM
Jul 2018
Sakuhanna said:
"A spring without you is coming"

^ and now everyones weather app is reporting a 100% chance of rain showers.

http://i.imgur.com/h01kZWr.gif
Mar 20, 2015 1:27 AM

Aug 2008
Hmm, I was thinking she had a 50/50 chance to pull through. Guess she didn't make it then. The finale was quite beautiful, with that piano playing and that "soul" duet.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't that huge a fan of Kaori to begin with, mostly due to the personality she had. I WAS inclined to believe she DID have some sort of feelings for Kousei, but nothing too concrete and romantic.
Had they shown some more foreshadowing or more direct scenes, maybe her presence would've weighed more with me.
At the end, the posthumous letter with her revelations, felt more to me like tying around "loose" ends, than giving me a feeling of "aha!", as prior to that, her love for Koesei was demonstrated to be rather too subtle for me to have fully realized before.
Anyway, I'm more of a Nagi fan. And Tsubaki, whom we've known for the longest time to actually have liked him for sure, is a second favorite of mine.

Beyond that, not much to say besides the great music and animation this show had. Really liked it, specially with Kousei not breaking down at the end.
Mar 20, 2015 1:30 AM

Feb 2010
How awesome Arima is playing piano while also imagining things, and still hits every note.

Awesome ride
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Mar 20, 2015 1:37 AM
Nov 2009
IZEROII said:

Regarding this rating argument stuff. It's fairly simple. You see a 10/10 rating and you say "ohhh wtf"...look at their profile --> anime list and I guarantee you you'll see why. Without fail. I'm not going to be derogatory but there is a trend in that data. One of the top 3 is ratio of 10s to total watched. I've seen people with a hundred or so shows with 30-40 10/10 fucking ridiculous. I'm going to break 800 shows after this season and only have felt I've seen 25 10s what is that <3% (and honestly when I hit my rereview of certain shows I'm sure that could get dropped a show or two). In the end it's subjective but most people don't put a ton of consideration into their ratings which is why everyone says take the ratings with a grain of salt. For a show like this which has no barrier and appeals to a lot of people (like FSN which has a huge barrier and thus rating discrepancy) you can expect a relatively high score due to access alone coupled with good direction and design.

I gave 10s to ~13,4% shows i have completed and to ~11,6% when I take dropped for consideration too.(In reality on Anilist i gave only one 100/100 but here I round to 10 shows which i gave 95/100 and more on Anilist). You would say that it is a lot probably. I dont. From some time I try to not watch anime which I know that I will give them weak rating. That's why mean score is not always good indicator. My is 7,3 now and probably it will go up with my present selection of anime but if I watched almost all anime like Stark700(Sory, but you are the only one, with so many completed anime, I know^^) my mean score and percentage of 10s would be very low.

Ok. Stop about that. Let's start "Overrated" topic. You and the others says that show is overrated. Great, but in reality I don't know single show with high score there is no discussion about it is overrated or not. You gave 10/10 to UBW(TV). I gave 10 too. Many people will say that this show is overrated like hell. And if they will start talking about poor characters, story development, I will agree with them, but for me animation, graphics, fights are enough to enjoy me so much to give this series high rating. There are series where I like one thing so much that I don't care that many other thing are weak. Like over power of main character in Aldnoah or Mahouka. You says that people give Shigatsu 10/10 and dont think about ratings. Other people will say you dont think about rating when you give 10/10 to Steins;Gate(Which I love), Ano Hana(Which I like very much), Kimi Ni Todoke(Which I didn't watch yet:(, but I read comments and reviews about how this show is overrated) etc. etc. In one situation you may be on one side of barricade saying this show is overrated but in the other situation you will be on second side protecting one of anime which you liked saying that it is not overrated.

That's all. Thanks for reading^^
Mar 20, 2015 1:37 AM

Nov 2014
6/10 for music. It amuses me how many people throw 10s at it.

Mar 20, 2015 1:40 AM

Feb 2012
I knew it was going to happen so i tried to prepare myself, but still shed some tears. I now don't care who Arima ends up with. All of the other girls are on the same level.

On another note, baby Kaori is adorable!!!
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Mar 20, 2015 1:54 AM

Feb 2010
I also expected spoiled that she'll die but still manly tears were shed
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Mar 20, 2015 1:55 AM

Sep 2014
I am in awe. splendid.
Mar 20, 2015 2:07 AM

Mar 2013
"a spring without you... is coming"

I think I've never felt so sad about what happened today... well, Kaori's death is so sad, I can feel my heart breaking into two

but I did like how it ended (either way, she did end up dead)
Mar 20, 2015 2:08 AM

Apr 2013
Great show! The music and art was beautiful, really enjoyed it!
Mar 20, 2015 2:32 AM

Oct 2014
Yohohohoho....

(5*(AnoHana-("Menma, we found you"+Ghost)))+(Nodame/1.57) = Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso <--- You get what I mean, plebs? :P

Critically speaking, it is a very formulaic show. The plot is predictable, and the melodrama feels like it is a music version of AnoHana. Yeah, in a critical nutshell, it is your generic teen melodrama with music as a seasoning. Not to mention the cringeworthy slapsticks... If anything, critically, I'd give this show a 6/10.

But then, let see this show in another perspective. With a beautiful visual and music, Shigatsu managed to bring a simple story about a person's growth through pain. Of course, there are tons of story that did better than Shigatsu, but at the very least, Shigatsu still--maybe barely--able to bring its message in its melodramatic style. You can't deny it, but sometimes, you don't need a very "majestic" story-telling or characters to tell the viewers a "message". So in a more common perspective, I'd dare to give this show an 8/10

So, we have two scores. 6 and 8. Average both of them and you'll get a 7. But at least for now, since I really am in love with the ending, I'll add 1 to the score, making my current score for Shigatsu is 8/10. It might drop, minimal to 6. Depends on my mood.

N.B. In a flash, this show already ranked up from top 50 to top 20? Now,now, isn't it about time for the elitists big shots like Niddhoegr or NotJizzyHitler put this show in the Elitists Club relation list? xD
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Mar 20, 2015 2:39 AM
Sep 2014
I think the studio used the original ending to give respect to the mangaka.

If they were gonna do something special because of the 10000 tweets, it would be in the OVA.

It could possibly be:

1) An epilogue of where the characters are after a big time skip. (like the Anohana OVA)

2) An alternate ending where Kaori lives(or lives longer), they fulfill their promise of playing together, and they finally tell each other their true feelings.

3) Another alternate ending where Kaori lives longer and they have kids but Kaori still dies later on leaving Kousei to take care of their treasure(kids). Kids are then inspired by their musician parents and they want to start a career in music.

4) Other... (maybe a boring recap OVA that doesnt add anything to the story)
Mar 20, 2015 3:01 AM

Dec 2012
I really loved this anime (*o*). It's rare to see a show that mixes humor, music and drama. The Kaori's fate was predictable, but no one would believe in it.
This episode was just perfect, the death introduced by music was a good choice (IMO). When I understood that she is dead, I started to cry. The part with the letter didn't simplify me the task T-T. Now, Arima is changed. Impossible that he feels alone again, Kaori will be with him every time.
When you think about this lie and Kaori's feelings, you want to re-watch it to have a different look at the show.

A masterpiece just ended. I wonder what the OVA will show us.
Mar 20, 2015 3:18 AM
Nov 2014
ssj1235 said:
WHERE THE HELL IS THE MIRACLE THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A MIRACLE KAORI WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

he managed to play the piano and by the looks of it he won 1# place and got in the school he wanted
Mar 20, 2015 3:22 AM

Mar 2012
Such a sad ending, I really expect for Kousei and Tsubaki to end up together but still a sad ending for Kao-chan. Overall, I loved the series, the story and the music.
Mar 20, 2015 3:35 AM

Mar 2013
I don't think I've cried that much over an anime since I watched Clannad: Afterstory..

Can I even call myself a man anymore?
Jesus christ the feels are real... ; ;
Mar 20, 2015 3:36 AM
Apr 2013
I gave it a 9/10. Touching and the ending was done amazingly. Would recommend this to a ton of people! Don't know when another series like this will come around.
Mar 20, 2015 3:41 AM
Nov 2014
I think I slept out of my miserable state after watching the 22# episode. And why so beautiful? To all the non anime experts that just came here to highltight the wrongs, I may ask you:

She kissed Kousei, right?
"Everybody needs someone to kiss them goodbye"
So she kissed him that last day. The I want to eat canellé day.

Don't ask me why, but i'm holding on the simplest things, the phrases and even the way she played the ghost viollin that last day. That last arigato was so heartbreaking. It's like his mother accomplished one thing for sure: Kousei is comfortable with sadness. You can feel it in the last piece, you can see just how much heartbreak he carries but also the lightness of his feelings, the set flies before your eyes, it's amazing. When Kaori came with her viollin I can't talk now cuz I was too occupied sobbing on my pillow. But the duo just made me think how amazing it would be if they were to marry.

One thing I agree with you pessimists, such a waste they made... in killing her, so there won't be another story to tell. Who's wacthing a sequel without Kao? Not me.
Mar 20, 2015 3:44 AM

Jan 2013
Don't understand some of the hate this is getting. Remind me to avoid the shitfest that is MAL forums.

Great episode. Kousei's peformance of Chopin's ballade is easily one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever watched. 10/10. Incredible series.
Mar 20, 2015 3:48 AM

May 2014
FloatingList said:
Yohohohoho....

(5*(AnoHana-("Menma, we found you"+Ghost)))+(Nodame/1.57) = Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso <--- You get what I mean, plebs? :P

I know!

I need to fight and win against a shark, or punch a hole through time and space to recover my manliness.
I'm still crying, despite I knew I would.

I don't I've seen what I'm about to ask mentioned somewhere in this anime's topic:
How well did Shigatsu over there in Japan?? Is there a chance to get a dub eventually?? (I don't mind a dub, but gettin' it would give a new reason to rewatch this)
Are we gettin' a movie like AnoHana did??
Are we ever not gonna cry if we rewatch the show??
Mar 20, 2015 3:56 AM

Mar 2014
Overall why it was an enjoyable series to watch, i felt that some aspects were lacking.

Story wise, it was decent and had a few enjoyable arcs with a heart felt ending....only problem was that the series tried to have so many heartfelt/tragic moments that by the time i got to the ending i was like "oh so she finally kicked the bucket...".

Character wise,kousei was a decent MC and kaori was a lovable (though sometimes infuriating) heroine to watch. Special mentions to kousei's rivals, teacher and his student. Everyone else....couldn't give a damn, especially tsubaki.

Art and music were top notch; really stunning stuff here, nothing to complain about.

A few pacing issues here and there as well as the change in tone every few minutes makes the show lose a few points for me.

Overall it was an enjoyable show, and even with the points I've listed, is still deserving of an 8/10.
Mar 20, 2015 4:00 AM
Jan 2012
The feels were there, and a 10/10 from me... Though if you ever take a look at me list, you'll have to take that as you will..

Novangel said:
Don't understand some of the hate this is getting. Remind me to avoid the shitfest that is MAL forums.

Yeah, sadly that's the first lesson that needs to be learned by any newcomers.
Mar 20, 2015 4:01 AM

Nov 2008
Ah <3
Mar 20, 2015 4:16 AM
Mar 2011
I think it was really cute

I cried enough but not as much as I expected...

would love an alternate ending.
Mar 20, 2015 4:24 AM
Jul 2010
Sigmund05 said:
I think the studio used the original ending to give respect to the mangaka.

If they were gonna do something special because of the 10000 tweets, it would be in the OVA.

It could possibly be:

1) An epilogue of where the characters are after a big time skip. (like the Anohana OVA)

2) An alternate ending where Kaori lives(or lives longer), they fulfill their promise of playing together, and they finally tell each other their true feelings.

3) Another alternate ending where Kaori lives longer and they have kids but Kaori still dies later on leaving Kousei to take care of their treasure(kids). Kids are then inspired by their musician parents and they want to start a career in music.

4) Other... (maybe a boring recap OVA that doesnt add anything to the story)

5) 40 years old kousei, still not moving on from kaori, playing the Rachmaninoff prelude in C# minor
Mar 20, 2015 4:33 AM
Dec 2014
Cannot contain my feels at this moment.
Mar 20, 2015 5:18 AM
Mar 2015
I really didn't like it it's just too sad. Like they gave us all hope that miracles could happen and that the operation would succeed and now they pretty much crushed it. Is the meaning of this ends that miracles don't happen.
Mar 20, 2015 5:22 AM

Jun 2012
Finally.

Don't know why, but this show became gradually worse, especially during its second half.
Probably because of the cheesy inner dialogues (too much sugar), the annoying cast of characters (seriously, only a couple characters were appealing) and the cliché progression (which was expected, but still).

In the beginning I thought this could be good, but in the end it didn't meet my expectations.
However, it wasn't terrible, especially compared to the usual trash we are offered nowadays.

The setting at least was interesting, and the animation was pretty nice, as was the art and the soundtrack.

5/10
Mar 20, 2015 5:24 AM

Nov 2012
I prefer the first half of the show, the second half was kind of unbearable.
Too much drama on the 2nd half, and A-1 poor execution is no helping it.

Ultimately, poor dialogues/ monologues, poor jokes implementation, poor drama execution. Nice characters though. Not a bad show, not great either. 7/10 for me
Mar 20, 2015 5:26 AM

Apr 2009
Holy fuck that was perfect. I literally have nothing to say, holy fuck. 10/10, most definitely buying this one - Fingers crossed anime limited will licence it in the UK. I just can't, holy fuck. In my top 3 for sure.
Mar 20, 2015 5:37 AM

Jan 2014
I'm surprised by how many people write off Kousei's learning to deal with his trauma as overly dramatic and utterly pointless- the way he dealt with it all seemed very realistic to me.

After finally finishing the series, I feel like such a horrible person now. Despite all the feels and chills that I felt, my eyes hadn't watered up even once, even though I know they probably should have. It'll probably be a long while before I come across another anime adapted so well imo, though I guess many of the original manga readers probably will disagree. It was such a beautiful series, in both its visual presentation, sound design, characters, and themes. The language was so beautiful(if you could understand Japanese), and the series had so many unspoken themes and metaphors too....
Definitely looking forward to the OVA, would be great if it could drive the feels train one last time....
Mar 20, 2015 6:06 AM

Oct 2014
lablackmamba said:
FloatingList said:
Yohohohoho....

I know!

I have this very strong feeling that said that you greatly misunderstood my point. Oh well, if you see it that way, it can work that way too xD
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Mar 20, 2015 6:08 AM
Oct 2014
I lost it when (the letter) Kaori mention that she's sorry for a lot of things.. T_T

Oh man but I feel the anime is a little bit 'happier' compare to the manga.. maybe it's the soundtrack gives a little more warmth ... in the manga it's just pure sad and really gloomy ( I cry a lot more when I read the manga :p)

Easily 10/10.. I would love to watch it again sometime just to fill my feel gauge :D

I am hoping the OVA will not be alternate ending, but about life after Kaori for Kousei.. I want to see how he handle it
mbahamoodMar 20, 2015 6:16 AM
Mar 20, 2015 6:11 AM
Nov 2012
RandomDeception said:
Too little too late.

Though, I always knew that Kousei was a pedophile.

Kousei is 14...
Aiza is 13...
1 year difference...
gdi, this forum is full of idiots.
Mar 20, 2015 6:20 AM
Jan 2013
Honestly I'm equally amused with people giving out 10/10, as with people giving out 5/10 like it is some harem show that ended where it started in the plot. The anime definitely suffer from dragged out drama along with many instances of awkward comedy insertions, but to say the anime has no direction and only a way to pander to melodramatic audiences is hilariously inaccurate.

I would like to establish that I'm not a fan of melodramatic show, nor did I cry in the final episode or any episode for that matter, but the ending did tug at my heart. I seriously doubt some of the people even understood the real theme and premise of the story. I do follow the original source, but here are some thoughts based solely on the anime.

The premise is a traumatized talented young pianist overcoming his trauma and finding his passion for music, with a certain girl playing the catalyst to his recovery. Obviously the executions of some ideas were poorly done, particularly with the drama exaggerated, but the story stayed true to its premise as we saw the major change and development of our MC pianist. I honest didn't care too much about the romance, and was more focused on how the MC changed the span of 22episodes.

The start of the anime actually gave me a poor impression. One meek and physically weak MC, one womanizer, one overly active tsundere childhood friend, one violinist trying to play the "perfect" heroine by virtue of plot no different from hot transfer student magically seated beside you. The relationship already setup, with the connotation of developing into a messy middle schooler love polygon, where the MC going to NTR his friend's girlfriend.

The story surprisingly took a different turn and focused on the characterization of the MC, showing the complexity of his character. We were shown a strict, overly demanding, and abusive mother treating the MC(Kousei) poorly in his flashback, but the MC brazenly protecting his mother from outsiders in spite of his poor treatment. The naivety of the MC was almost pitiful, only to be shown he left his mother with the words: "I hate you! I hope you die!" Only after the introduction of Hiroko did we receive the full picture of the situation of MC's mother. Showing Kousei's defense for his mother was justified, as she does care about him. The mother's illness and urgency caused Kousei to misinterpret her actions, resulting in the guild which led to his trauma.

The MC's character was fleshed out with the perspective and interaction of the different side characters. For example Aiza showing the talent of old Kousei. Tsubaki and Emi showing the mischievous and bright Kousei before he turned into a "human metronome", or into the depressing trauma Kousei. I dunno how anyone can characterize this anime as "full of 1-D characters", when clearly Kousei alone makes up one of the more complex characters in the anime industry. Even his mother was given the characterization of being not just the "strict parent" cliche, and shown justifications. Not to mention Aiza sibling showing different layers of personality.

I have to say I really disliked Kaori at the beginning of the anime, why did she keep trying to get Kousei's attention like she want to cheat on Watari? Why did she know which song to choose for Kousei which invoked his memory of his mother, almost too convenient? Her character seem too convenient like it's just for the sake of plot, analogous to a female alien falling into your bathtub(To-Love-Ru). The ending letter really tied up many lose end to her actions over the course of the anime, she clearly had a goal to want to get Kousei out of his slump before she dies, but instead disguising herself just some random encounter nonchalantly.

I dunno why some of you view Kaori as this "1-D violent slut" when she's actually fairly developed character. She was shown to be very cheerful, flamboyant, passionate and lively in front of Kousei. We were also shown very early that she has some kind of illness really early. Somewhere between the first 5 episodes i don't really remember which, where she's seen taking a handful of pills while in the restroom after her 1st performance. I'm sure most of you can already foreshadow the death flag, which support the idea that her current personality is a facade. And that was shown to be more evident over every passing episode.

The fluffy and bright background for Kaori was most likely Kousei's interpretation(admiration) as we're given clear visual representations of Kousei's thoughts in the background for example when he "can't hear" his notes. I'm honestly not that surprised when Kaori's personality took a swift turn, because it was already hinted she's faking her smiles. The drama was obviously overdone and poorly executed, for example the cat dying in front of Kousei... but the overall premise are conveyed properly. Her characterization is really similar to Minori from Toradora.

I was really frustrated with Kaori's actions in the early episodes which seem like she's leading Kousei on without reciprocating, while having a boyfriend. I disliked her then, but after seeing the final letter, it's quite clear the intention. She wanted to help Kousei, but didn't want him to be attached as she's on death watch. She obviously know Kousei liked her at some point given she seem to be perspective, evident by her statement: "The only one who didn't know Tsubaki liked you were Tsubaki and yourself."

Kaori's interactions with Kousei in the later half really brought out the best in Kousei. After losing his mother the same way, no one would have faulted him if he gave up piano. Despite being physically weak, we have a juxtaposition showing Kousei's mental fortitude after overcoming this hurdle.

I honestly didn't really care that much about the romance in this anime, the people who only watch it for the romance or expect it to be only romance is honestly missing out on the bigger premise of the anime. Which is the transformation of Kousei, the traumatized pianist who wanted nothing to do with piano, to a musician who could give a bittersweet smile reading the last words of the love of his life.

I would have hated a magical revival of Kaori type of ending. People grow stronger in the face of adversity, and I honestly couldn't be happier for Kousei who came out better as a person in spite of the unfairness of reality.

Obviously I disliked some of the characters too, but I didn't let that prejudice my comprehension of the story. Perhaps some of you should put down any prior expectation or prejudice so you could understand what you watched. A interesting irony is Kousei admiring Kaori's passion for music, when his younger version is the one who inspired Kaori to pursue music, the author is fairly clever.

side note: I disliked Tsubaki the most but given she's a middle schooler, I can understand some of her selfish and immature behaviour. Kousei and Kaori acting more mature than their age is a given for their respective circumstances obviously not normal. I don't actually care too much about the romance, but if I had to pick, I would pick Emi for Kousei, Kaori was just not meant to be. Emi, an independent woman who's clear with her mindset and goals seem like a good fit with poor Kousei, not to mention she has a crush on him.

Conclusion: I really like the premise of the coming of age story of Kousei the pianist and his transformation. The poor execution of some of the ideas and not enough development on the rivals left me somewhat unsatisfied. So rating of 8, given melodrama is not my thing. I probably would give a 9 otherwise.
Pages (24) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

235 by goodbyesekai »»
Jun 24, 1:58 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2014

362 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 3:21 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

412 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2014

287 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

327 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 10:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.