Forum Settings
Forums
New
Option A or B?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 18, 2012 9:04 AM

Feb 2010
I'd go with A.

B. is like "Suffer for us! We don't care about your life quality, the important part is how long you live." Suicide isn't selfish, silly.
LUL
Aug 18, 2012 9:08 AM
Aug 2012
bottle said:
Suicide thoughts or plan are usually not permanent but can come back again when a person is low. It's good to stop and must ask professional to help as it's clearly a crisis.

Their current therapy may not be enough, or they actually have a change in their surroundings that is not dealt with.

If you are close enough, try to make sure they take the medication too. They are not a cure but would reduce the risk of worse mood.

Depressive views of the world is usually more negative than reality. But it's not always that dramatic so it can confuse close friends who spend a lot time near them. Be aware and don't give up.

I'm not very much in favor of medication they lower the persons fellings and reactions to things so much that it makes the person vegetable.Over the years of daily dosage of theese pshyco-drugs the situation gets even worse.My approach would be to give that individual something productive and entertaining to lower his stress and show him he's worthy.
Under the stars,we are all the same...
Aug 18, 2012 9:19 AM

Jan 2012
Choosing your death is the last bit of control a suicidal person has. I don't care what the bible or my family think. My life is my own to do what I want with it. Not all suicidal people are freaking out over one traumatic event. Its usually a slow painful feeling of being crushed beneath the wheel.
I have to believe that when things are bad I can change them
Aug 18, 2012 9:21 AM
Aug 2012
Statthis said:

I am the one with clear thinking,suicidal urges is a diesase.It parallyzes it's victim in a state that it considers himself/herself to be absolete,and it must be treated even if it's without that person will,my conciense cant bear the fact that this person is so powerless that i can let him just die.None should be categorized as fertilizer,if it's the person's will that self-termination is the only way to get out of a situation then NO.And if that makes me a sellfish son of a ....so be it

Depression could be categorised as a disease, and in most cases it can be cured, but in the case of OP, she already had once considered suicide, and had been stopped only to do it again, I think that person had a pretty good idea of what she was going to do and what the consequences were going to be.

I'm gonna be as honest as i can be right now.Dosen't matter to me if him/her tried to suicide twice or 3 times or 1 million times.There is always hope :)
The suffering that comes after the person's taken away his/her life is not one tiny bit important compared to the aftermath.Because at the end none will win.
As long as it takes.
Aug 18, 2012 9:21 AM

Jun 2012
Statthis said:
Regicide said:
why did you make everyone drunk tho
that makes it hard to come with up with any kind of counterfactual answer (not that its easy in the first place)
chose A-why should you choose what others do with their life
suicide isn't selfish
suicide isn't a sin
you shouldn't have to have me tell you why these things are true

It' isn't selfish,in the person's mind it's a selfless act for redemption.
But here comes the tricky part.
Would you accept the fact that a certain person is that hopelless to let him procced?

not your job to decide
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 18, 2012 9:25 AM

Jun 2012
Karpman said:

I didn't mean every person who wants to or has committed suicide, I made in post #30 clear that I'd rather have most people go to a professional and talk to one. I know it can get fixed, but it takes time and a lot of it. What I was specifying here was OP's example, I think in that case there wasn't anything to do any more, everything has been tried and done, so I thought it would be better to let her have a day of fun instead of having to suffer more, plus OP said that said person didn't just suffer from depression, but also had a disease.

Depression could be categorised as a disease, and in most cases it can be cured, but in the case of OP, she already had once considered suicide, and had been stopped only to do it again, I think that person had a pretty good idea of what she was going to do and what the consequences were going to be.

I don't think nothing can be done any more. As I said, It's a classical case of relapse which happen like 50% of the times.
Basically, none is responsible of this except the physician who failed at his job (or event didn't let him do it as it should)

I didn't seen post about disease, but some people can have an happy life even with Trigeminal neuralgia. If they are followed correctly.

I don't think suicide (except for Terminal illness, off course) can't be considerate a "rational" choice. I need more time to develop this however

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Aug 18, 2012 9:26 AM

Apr 2012
Regicide said:
Statthis said:
Regicide said:
that makes it hard to come with up with any kind of counterfactual answer (not that its easy in the first place)
suicide isn't selfish
suicide isn't a sin

Would you accept the fact that a certain person is that hopelless to let him procced?

not your job to decide

Man, this isn't right. People can have moments of unconsciousness (I mean, when they're not thinking properly).

Try to think of all possibilities, I also agree with A, but if the person can be helped why not?

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 18, 2012 9:29 AM

Jun 2012
Immahnoob said:
Regicide said:
Statthis said:
Regicide said:
suicide isn't selfish
suicide isn't a sin

not your job to decide

Man, this isn't right. People can have moments of unconsciousness (I mean, when they're not thinking properly).

Try to think of all possibilities, I also agree with A, but if the person can be helped why not?

the situation doesn't say that the individual is unconscious
the situation says that the individual has thought this through
you need to read the problem again
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 18, 2012 9:32 AM
Nov 2008
I'm just about to commit suicide. What do?
Aug 18, 2012 9:32 AM

Feb 2012
I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I picked A
Aug 18, 2012 9:34 AM

Apr 2012
Regicide said:
Immahnoob said:
Regicide said:
Statthis said:
Regicide said:
suicide isn't selfish
suicide isn't a sin

not your job to decide

He's also asking us about it in general.

I think you... Jumped that part.

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 9:34 AM
Aug 2012
Regicide said:
Statthis said:
Regicide said:
suicide isn't selfish
suicide isn't a sin

not your job to decide

So that if i let him/her jump over a building because i know he/she would try it again that justifies it? I don't see it that way.Well the are diferent approaches and opinions to the matter and all are correct :) Here there no right or wrong in situations like this is just what an individual would do.In my case though,it gets to be that my phycosynthesis is wired in that way you might say.I just can't justify a good enough reason for someone to die for if he's alive.
Aug 18, 2012 9:36 AM

Jun 2012
Regicide said:

Nothing seems really rational in this decision for this situation.
I don't see anything that can't be helped.

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Aug 18, 2012 9:37 AM

Apr 2012
LuckyStrike-Rx said:
Regicide said:

Nothing seems really rational in this decision for this situation.
I don't see anything that can't be helped.

Uhm, some people can't be helped... Some are not that strong willed.

As I said, both options are okay. One takes more effort than the other, the other needs you to have more heart to do it.

Autocrat said:
Aug 18, 2012 9:57 AM

Dec 2009
Statthis said:

I'm not very much in favor of medication they lower the persons feelings and reactions to things so much that it makes the person vegetable...

>I'm just about to commit suicide. What do?
Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Aug 18, 2012 9:59 AM
Nov 2008
I died. You guys must have chosen option A.
Aug 18, 2012 10:05 AM

Dec 2008
obbsworld said:

A: You don't want to be selfish. This person obviously wants to die, they've tried in the past (you stopped them, but at this point it's clear that they will continue to live a miserable life). They've gone through years of therapy, and have been medicated, and all that jazz, and clearly it has had no effect. They are dead set on dying. So you decide to spend this last day with them, and make it absolutely wonderful for them before letting them on the bus to go downtown to ascend to the roof of a building and jump to their glorious demise :I

What a person chooses to do with their life is their choice, and most people who commit suicide genuinely felt that life had become insufferable to the point that they couldn't bear to live any longer. People can be quick to say "life can only get better," or "there's no such thing as utter despair", but we all experience and handle life differently. Whether suicide is selfish or not is irrelevant, especially since no-one can fully understand just how unhappy or damaged the person was before committing suicide. In the example you give, the person went through therapy and medication but to no avail, yet clearly there were attempts to get better. To them, death must be the only escape from their unhappiness, and no-one deserves to experience prolonged unhappiness.

That said, there are instances where you should intervene, especially suicide attempts made for the purpose of spiting someone. I've heard a number of stories of teenagers doing this just to get back at their parents. Ages ago, I read an article about a young girl who killed herself because her mother wouldn't let her watch a tv program. Now, there may have been other reasons for what she did, we'll never know. But people have committed suicide to spite others, and to me personally, that is disgusting behaviour.
Aug 18, 2012 10:06 AM
Aug 2012
Onibokusu said:

Well that escalated quicky...
Aug 18, 2012 10:06 AM
Nov 2008
Statthis said:
Onibokusu said:

As is real life.
Aug 18, 2012 10:11 AM

Jun 2012
bottle said:

Someone is very well informed.
Indeed medication can have really bad side effect. It's so unconscious to prescribe medication without the adequate medical observation.
Immahnoob said:

You can rely on a depressed person will, they don't have any.
Now it's up to family to make necessary to cure it, or take the risk to let it going and hope it will cure by itself. I understand however that some family just don't have money (if no social health care), or knowledge, to give proper care.

Aug 18, 2012 10:11 AM
Aug 2012
I
Onibokusu said:
Statthis said:
Onibokusu said:

As is real life.

So like...you turned to zombie or something? xD
I havent chatted with a dead person before !!
Aug 18, 2012 10:21 AM
Aug 2012
LuckyStrike-Rx said:
bottle said:

Someone is very well informed.
Indeed medication can have really bad side effect. It's so unconscious to prescribe medication without the adequate medical observation.
Immahnoob said:

You can rely on a depressed person will, they don't have any.
Now it's up to family to make necessary to cure it, or take the risk to let it going and hope it will cure by itself. I understand however that some family just don't have money (if no social health care), or knowledge, to give proper care.

Yes i concur.The medicine should be only availible when the patient's mental state analysis is adequate.Like you said bottle we have drugs that are in a crude form and they still have to untergo specific devolepments.Indee lucky strike is right,you are very well informed.
Aug 18, 2012 10:22 AM

Dec 2010
I'd probably pick option B over A, not because I believe it's morally correct, but simply because I'm selfish. I wouldn't want a good friend of mine killing themselves, especially if I feel that there is a way of talking them out of it.

Also with option A, why give them a wonderful day? They're suicidal so I'm under the assumption that they can't have a wonderful day and if they do have one?

Doesn't that prove (ironically) that there's something to look forward to in life? They enjoyed the day, so what is stopping them from enjoying life in the near future? Life is unpredictable so there's probably going to be a fair share of bad times and good times. I'd tell that to my good friend.
epicscreatorAug 18, 2012 10:30 AM
Aug 18, 2012 10:43 AM

Jul 2012
note: i voted but did not read the whole thread.

chances are your friend will not be successful. BUT men have a much higher rate of achieving their goal.

being bipolar and suffering for many years i say this: sneak away and call EMS as soon as the person starts seriously contemplating suicide. If they are as fucked up as you say, they are prob used to being on a lockdown psych ward. theres always a chance that things will get better. I've seen it before.
Aug 18, 2012 11:01 AM

Aug 2009
C. I'd commit suicide with them.
Aug 18, 2012 11:02 AM

Jul 2011
Smiddy said:

Hmm... <3

Anyway, 7 pages in just 8 hours :D
Pretty interesting topic :P

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 18, 2012 11:11 AM

Feb 2012
Smiddy said:

why
Aug 18, 2012 11:12 AM

Jun 2012
BurntWithWater said:
Smiddy said:

why

He's suicidal
Aug 18, 2012 11:13 AM

Feb 2012
Shuhan said:
BurntWithWater said:
Smiddy said:

why

He's suicidal

:(
Aug 18, 2012 11:18 AM

Jun 2012
Option B. I feel that I would care only because it's the right thing to do, to try to save them. However, I also feel that such a miserable life could lead to such a path, so I could understand them and almost think that I should let them.

Aug 18, 2012 11:21 AM

Jun 2012
BurntWithWater said:
Shuhan said:
BurntWithWater said:
Smiddy said:

why

He's suicidal

:((
Aug 18, 2012 11:26 AM

Feb 2012
Shuhan said:
BurntWithWater said:
Shuhan said:
BurntWithWater said:
Smiddy said:

why

He's suicidal

Keep your chin up

...both of them...
Aug 18, 2012 11:45 AM

Aug 2012
no doubt option b. i understand some people really dont have anyone who cares or people to help them, and thats a terrible thing... but this person has a friend who cares and family to talk to and everything, then suicide is just selfish. i have a friend whos gone through severe depression and been in similar situations (although not even close to as bad as this one), but i wouldnt be able to live with myself if i let him just go and die like that. i know for some people depression is something they cant help, but can they really not see how many people care, and how their death would destroy so many lives
Aug 18, 2012 12:11 PM

Jun 2012
BurntWithWater said:
Shuhan said:
BurntWithWater said:
Shuhan said:
BurntWithWater said:
Smiddy said:

why

He's suicidal

Keep your chin up

...both of them...

ill try :((
Aug 18, 2012 12:15 PM

Nov 2011
Seems I'm in the minority. The option clearly stated he would lead a miserable life for the rest of his existence so why shouldn't we let him end his pain.
Aug 18, 2012 12:33 PM

Jan 2011
Option B 'cause like many others, I'm just a selfish bastard. :)
And if she was that suicidal, I don't think she'd give a fuck about telling her best friend or whoever else, she'd just commit suicide without hesitation.
Seems to me like underneath it all, she wants to be talked out of it.
Aug 18, 2012 12:33 PM

Dec 2011
I'm a firm believer in that a person has the right to die as much as they have the right to live, and that it's wrong to lock someone up and force them to live for attempting suicide.

But if a friend of mine had gotten me and herself drunk (though in the first place, if I had a suicidal friend who'd attemtped before, I wouldn't go drinking with her, much less encourage it. but if that happened...) I'd first be actually really upset with them that they decided to wait till I was drunk to drop the bomb on me. And then after my anger I'd be obligated to of course try to stop her and call her family and boyfriend. Despite what I said before, I can't be all right with just telling to go ahead and kill themselves. It'd weigh on my own conscience for life.

So obviously I'm the selfish one. But in any cases I think the suicidal person is also selfish. Suicide is absolutely a selfish act--and I think that even a suicidal person would agree with that. But of course nothing is so simple.. they also might be thinking that suicide is almost a selfless act if they think that their family and friends are going to be better off without them.
Idk.. when a person is at the point where they're seriously thinking about suicide, there's other things going on in their mind and they're just seeking a solution that they can actually grasp and achieve.
Aug 18, 2012 1:27 PM

Jun 2010
Exkalibur said:
And if she was that suicidal, I don't think she'd give a fuck about telling her best friend or whoever else, she'd just commit suicide without hesitation.

Not quite. You discount the possibility that they want to say goodbye to their best friend for the last time.
Aug 18, 2012 2:47 PM

Jan 2008
I don't drink at all. so it's unlikely they'd get me drunk.

B.
Aug 18, 2012 3:12 PM

Aug 2011
There is no fucking way I'm letting one of my best friends die. Not on my life.
Aug 18, 2012 3:39 PM

Feb 2010
Exkalibur said:

Not at all.

It was late night and a phone rang, my dad rushed half-naked out of the house and headed to a friend of his, who was living on the other side of town. Turns out that the guy cut his veins and called my dad to talk a bit then he told what he actually did and said good bye, so my dad rushed to save him. He wasn't at his place when ambulance arrived, he was found on the next day.

I my self have received a goodbye letter from a friend, not too long ago. But his plan didn't work out quite well. On a therapy right now.
LUL
Aug 20, 2012 11:12 AM

Jun 2012
(I'm not old enough to drink but this is my opion) Firstly I would never get drunk with a friend who wanted to kill themselves especially if they had tried to end their life before. Somebody needs to be on guard at all times. Also if their a friend I would hope that you would not want them to die but instead stay and be your friend. So you need to tell them that suicide is cowardly and while they may escape its selfish and will ruin their friends and family's life.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Aug 20, 2012 12:46 PM

Aug 2010
I'm fairly indifferent about suicide. If I had a friend that were suicidal, I wouldnt hold it against them, it can be a cruel world and not everything is fair. Excessive amounts of things like anime or drugs can be known to make the normal, real world seem dull or crude compared to the 'ideal' world

At the same time though, if they were a good friend, I would not let them be alone and I would make sure that they got through the bad times. Lets be honest though, its impossible to be with someone 24/7 all year around, to make sure they stay alive
METAL GEAR!?
Aug 20, 2012 2:27 PM

Oct 2008
I would probably go with A, since usually people can`t really comprehend the situation and the exact feelings that friend is going through. If he had years of torment, why even try, he would only be artificially alive in some ways. Dunno, there are so many ways to look at this and how that certain person is. Each situation is completely different, so the outcome really depends. Of course, the best thing is to help them, be there, talk to them. But in the end, it`s their own right to end their life if they feel that is the only option left.
Aug 20, 2012 2:38 PM
Jun 2012
Smiddy said:

good choice. its always good to have company.
Aug 21, 2012 3:23 PM

Aug 2012
b and then throw them in a mental hospital
Aug 21, 2012 4:34 PM

Feb 2010
Option B. To be blunt, wanting to throw your life away is an insult to everyone who tries to hang on. The fact that I'm saving a friend only shows that he or she still has something to live for.
Aug 21, 2012 4:40 PM

Jun 2012
Option B. If I was drunk I would probably be even more forceful about saving them.
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Aug 21, 2012 4:44 PM

Apr 2012
Option B for sure. I stop his retarded ass and I'll take him to a strip club to cheer him up.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 21, 2012 7:00 PM

Mar 2012
I wish you could close your own threads
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» When did more women start to work than being houswifes in the USA?

Zack312 - Yesterday

49 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

95 by juanlqr »»
5 minutes ago

» Biggest life hot takes? ( 1 2 3 )

Rabnawaz2 - Jun 15

137 by LoveYourSmile »»
16 minutes ago

» UEFA Euro 2024 - General Discussion

dazedcowcow62 - Yesterday

13 by samot-frt »»
29 minutes ago

» Has anyone here tried learning an artificial language?

Malkshake - Jun 14

31 by MalchikRepaid »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.