Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think the school/club harem, fanservice, cute girls doing stupid things are low quality entertainment and should be banned from this world?

New
Do you think they are some kind of cancer and should disappear?
Yes, they should be banned
24.6%
No, they are just fine
75.4%
118 votes
Feb 7, 2014 4:23 AM
Nov 2013
Yes, I'm pretty sure that this has already been discussed. But I want to know, without any flame, what the majority is thinking about this issue. It would be good if you could explain yourself...
blankflatFeb 7, 2014 4:42 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2014 4:29 AM

Oct 2012
They're made a lot because they sell, so how are they ruining the industry?
Feb 7, 2014 4:33 AM
Nov 2013
AssKetchum said:

Technically speaking, you're right. But the "ruining the industry" is the same as "low quality entertainment" for me.
Feb 7, 2014 4:35 AM

Nov 2013
Over-saturation doesn't mean the industry is dying if that's what you're getting at. It's like when people say a music genre is dying; there's something out there for you, it probably just flew under the radar. If anime was dying, anime forums and conventions would be deserted and anime merchandise wouldn't sell as much.
LoL summoner name: Dongblaster
Steam: We're Andr Attack
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
Please PM me before adding any of these
Feb 7, 2014 4:38 AM
Nov 2013
Notchrishansen said:
Over-saturation doesn't mean the industry is dying if that's what you're getting at. It's like when people say a music genre is dying; there's something out there for you, it probably just flew under the radar. If anime was dying, anime forums and conventions would be deserted and anime merchandise wouldn't sell as much.

No it's not what I'm saying. Anime won't die.
Feb 7, 2014 4:45 AM
Nov 2013
Done, I think there won't be more misunderstanding.

Sep 2013
Nooo!

but sometimes they do need tone it down a little.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Apr 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
AssKetchum said:

Technically speaking, you're right. But the "ruining the industry" is the same as "low quality entertainment" for me.

Well, its time for you to retire from watching anime and move on to other form of entertainment.
Feb 7, 2014 4:47 AM

Jul 2012
Of course it does.

We get more shitty low fi shows every season and less actual shows with people who are talented.

I mean just look at the shows this season and tell me how good the writing is compared to other shows who don't focus on school kids doing random things.

I take Witchcraft Works as an example, because I think the writing is one of the worst I've seen in years.

>School setting
>Beta Male who is afraid of girls
>His family has no common sense, mother "forces" him to marry a girl, and his sister is super clingy
>The mysterious girl is over powered and saves him all the time from stuff (wish fulfillment)
>The villains also have no common sense, and are basically Team Rocket from Pokemon
>It will end in some cheasy romantic way which is totally unrealistic and on the quality of fanfics.

This is everything wrong with the industry.

People can't write stories, can't write characters. They are all just some cardboard cut outs we have seen a million times before. The story is School + [fill in the blank] because establishing a REAL setting would be work and requires skill.

All these fucking school shows are made by hacks who are not talented enough to make an actual good work of fiction.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Feb 7, 2014 4:47 AM

Sep 2013
You forgot to add reverse harem
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Feb 7, 2014 4:48 AM
Aug 2013
Yes.
Feb 7, 2014 4:48 AM

Apr 2013
Yes

Every anime should be like Bebop, EVA and Ghost in the Shell
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 7, 2014 4:50 AM
Nov 2013
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:
AssKetchum said:

Well, its time for you to retire from watching anime and move on to other form of entertainment.

This is not what this thread is for. And I haven't said my opinion yet.
Feb 7, 2014 4:52 AM

Feb 2012
Nope.. There could be less every season, but it's still enjoyable :)
Feb 7, 2014 4:55 AM
Apr 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
worldeditor11 said:
Rashkolnikov said:
AssKetchum said:

This is not what this thread is for. And I haven't said my opinion yet.

And? Not sure what are you waiting for....
Feb 7, 2014 5:03 AM

Dec 2011
Rashkolnikov said:
AssKetchum said:

Low quality? So in other words, you are the only person whose (completely irrelevant and subjective) idea of quality matters?

Because we can't let other people enjoy themselves... oh no. Anyone other than you getting stuff they like is evidently proof that the industry is dead.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 7, 2014 5:08 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
They're always enjoyable and I'm always up for more.
Feb 7, 2014 5:14 AM
Nov 2013
I don't think they should disappear, because there is a lot of people enjoying this kind of stuff. And to be honest, I like to watch some of them when I have nothing better to do. But they are low quality entertainment, and I would be glad with more shows like Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell, with philosophical issues and realistic characters. Also, I think the artwork from the 90s is even more appealing TBH. So, imho they shouldn't dissappear, but this overflow is somewhat annoying.
Feb 7, 2014 5:15 AM

Sep 2011
I'd have nothing to watch if all these disappeared. . .

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Feb 7, 2014 5:15 AM

Dec 2012
...not banned, but there needs to be less of it. I don't like fanservice and harem is generally my least favorite genre in anime. And I wish they didn't always revolve around a bunch of 14 year old girls :/ I love anime, but I'm not gonna want to watch something about a bunch of cute teenage girls when I'm 30

it's fine for other people to watch, but I try to avoid them as much as I can > < I wan't more stuff like Death Note
Feb 7, 2014 5:17 AM

Dec 2011
Rashkolnikov said:
I don't think they should disappear, because there is a lot of people enjoying this kind of stuff. And to be honest, I like to watch some of them when I have nothing better to do. But they are low quality entertainment, and I would be glad with more shows like Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell, with philosophical issues and realistic characters. Also, I think the artwork from the 90s is even more appealing TBH. So, imho they shouldn't dissappear, but this overflow is somewhat annoying.

So I take it you voted 'no' to your own poll then?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 7, 2014 5:18 AM

Aug 2012
No. From time to time, these so-called stupid series are necessary for me to unwind.
Feb 7, 2014 5:18 AM

Jan 2014
I don't want to be rude but I really don't understand why did "low quality entertainments" do to you? I'm not sure if you even pay money to watch. Most people here watch for free and complaining (not criticizing, pure hating and complaining), then having this idea about banning the LQ anime... Do they think producers make anime to satisfy their taste or something?
Feb 7, 2014 5:25 AM
Nov 2013
wanderingplayboy said:
I don't want to be rude but I really don't understand why did "low quality entertainments" do to you? I'm not sure if you even pay money to watch. Most people here watch for free and complaining (not criticizing, pure hating and complaining), then having this idea about banning the LQ anime... Do they think producers make anime to satisfy their taste or something?

Everyone knows that this won't stop. Everyone knows that this won't get banned, this is just a topic in the Internet to discuss something. Of course this won't have any impact. Producers make things to make money, that's all.
Apr 2013
Rashkolnikov said:

Not sure what you meant by "overflow" since these kind of shows have been around dominantly since the 90's. You should check the anime released at that time.

Apr 2013
banned from this world?

that's going a little far
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 7, 2014 5:26 AM

Oct 2010
I think you should be banned from attention whoring, OP... you are doing it too obvious.
Feb 7, 2014 5:27 AM

Nov 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
Notchrishansen said:

OK, fair enough...I see you've changed the topic title; 'Banned from the world'? Isn't that taking it a bit too far? So another genre can be prominent in the industry? What happens if I said 'I'm sick of action and violence (insert other genre here) in the industry and I wish it would go away'?

BTW, this is just opinion mind you, sometimes the genres mentioned in the OP can be done well i.e Bakemonogatari (Harem and fanservice)
LoL summoner name: Dongblaster
Steam: We're Andr Attack
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
Please PM me before adding any of these
Feb 7, 2014 5:30 AM
Nov 2013
Emnay said:
banned from this world?

that's going a little far

hehe
Feb 7, 2014 5:32 AM

Apr 2012
SeibaaHomu said:
Delete this thread
I request this thread to be deleted.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Feb 7, 2014 5:34 AM
Nov 2013
Notchrishansen said:
Rashkolnikov said:
Notchrishansen said:

OK, fair enough...I see you've changed the topic title; 'Banned from the world'? Isn't that taking it a bit too far? So another genre can be prominent in the industry? What happens if I said 'I'm sick of action and violence (insert other genre here) in the industry and I wish it would go away'?

BTW, this is just opinion mind you, sometimes the genres mentioned in the OP can be done well i.e Bakemonogatari (Harem and fanservice)

I would be glad to see that (:
Feb 7, 2014 5:36 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
HaXXspetten said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
They're always enjoyable and I'm always up for more.
Feb 7, 2014 5:39 AM
Nov 2013
jal90 said:
I think you should be banned from attention whoring, OP... you are doing it too obvious.

Sorry for that man, but it wasn't my intention.
Feb 7, 2014 5:41 AM
Jul 2013
But then what would I get aroused by if we banned everything in the title?

Don't fix what isn't broken.
00002019Feb 7, 2014 6:08 AM
Feb 7, 2014 5:46 AM

May 2010
no since i dont watch 90% most of them.ergo i dont care . but for me its not the kind of entertainment i am looking for in anime.
Feb 7, 2014 5:47 AM

Apr 2013
lol

that was why kon sold better than gits
Feb 7, 2014 5:53 AM

Aug 2009
Orsonius said:
Of course it does.

We get more shitty low fi shows every season and less actual shows with people who are talented.

I mean just look at the shows this season and tell me how good the writing is compared to other shows who don't focus on school kids doing random things.

I take Witchcraft Works as an example, because I think the writing is one of the worst I've seen in years.

>School setting
>His family has no common sense, mother "forces" him to marry a girl, and his sister is super clingy
>The mysterious girl is over powered and saves him all the time from stuff (wish fulfillment)
>The villains also have no common sense, and are basically Team Rocket from Pokemon
>It will end in some cheasy romantic way which is totally unrealistic and on the quality of fanfics.

People can't write stories, can't write characters. They are all just some cardboard cut outs we have seen a million times before. The story is School + [fill in the blank] because establishing a REAL setting would be work and requires skill.

All these fucking school shows are made by hacks who are not talented enough to make an actual good work of fiction.
Blabala bla bla.

"People should only create things the pretentious me likes.And when they do I will call them pretentious or some other shit because the shows arent EXACTLY how I wanted them to be"

BTW can we finally decide what is wish fulfillment?
Boy saving the girl=wish fulfillment
Gil saving the boy=wish fulfillment
Anything in between=inconsistent writing because none of the two is "allowed to" save the other if they both are established as strong chars.

Make up your mind wannabe critics/aspiring writers/whatever the fuck you are.

Rashkolnikov said:

If people ask for it and some even pay for it it means it is high quality entertainment to them.

Your "standards" mean nothing to the industry and anime community.

And this:
worldeditor11 said:

Not sure what you meant by "overflow" since these kind of shows have been around dominantly since the 90's. You should check the anime released at that time.
Feb 7, 2014 6:06 AM
Nov 2013
Why you are angry? I know my standards mean nothing to the anime industry, and I voted for the second option of the poll, you are attacking the wrong person.
Feb 7, 2014 6:08 AM

Jan 2014
They are of low quality in my opinion, but by no means should they be banned. To each their own, right?
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Feb 7, 2014 6:12 AM

Jan 2014
No. Those type of anime are a separate genre within anime that has existed for the longest time so I don't see why it would become a problem NOW.
Feb 7, 2014 6:20 AM

Apr 2013
ssjokg said:
Orsonius said:
Of course it does.

>School setting

Blabala bla bla.

"People should only create things the pretentious me likes.And when they do I will call them pretentious or some other shit because the shows arent EXACTLY how I wanted them to be"

BTW can we finally decide what is wish fulfillment?
Boy saving the girl=wish fulfillment
Gil saving the boy=wish fulfillment
Anything in between=inconsistent writing because none of the two is "allowed to" save the other if they both are established as strong chars.

Make up your mind wannabe critics/aspiring writers/whatever the fuck you are.

Rashkolnikov said:

If people ask for it and some even pay for it it means it is high quality entertainment to them.

Your "standards" mean nothing to the industry and anime community.

And this:
worldeditor11 said:

EVA sold like 170k per volume tho
Feb 7, 2014 6:20 AM

Jul 2013
No, these kind of anime is easy money-grab for the industry since it doesn't need big budget or anything like that and people would still buy it anyway. This will keep the industry going and allow for more "high quality, big budget" anime that comes once in a while in the future.

Though I think there's been too much of them recently, and most people think all anime is the same as them. So, maybe they should reduce the amount of these shows a bit. Not that I hate them.

Anyway, 2014 seems like a nice year with a lot of (supposedly) good anime coming out so I'm fine if the the cash from these shows contribute to it one way or another.

Feb 7, 2014 6:25 AM

Oct 2010
I'll take the bait and say that anybody who believes Nichijou is low entertainment as opposed to Ghost in the Shell are fooling themselves.
jal90Feb 7, 2014 6:28 AM
Feb 7, 2014 6:26 AM

Apr 2013
jal90 said:
I'll take the bait and say that anybody who believes BNichijou is low entertainment as opposed to Ghost in the Shell are fooling themselves.

That was why Nichijou sold like shit amirite
Feb 7, 2014 6:28 AM
Jul 2013
jal90 said:
I'll take the bait and say that anybody who believes Nichijou is low entertainment as opposed to Ghost in the Shell are fooling themselves.

I don't get this. What are you trying to say?
Feb 7, 2014 6:30 AM
Nov 2013
EasyGo-er said:
No, these kind of anime is easy money-grab for the industry since it doesn't need big budget or anything like that and people would still buy it anyway. This will keep the industry going and allow for more "high quality, big budget" anime that comes once in a while in the future.

Though I think there's been too much of them recently, and most people think all anime is the same as them. So, maybe they should reduce the amount of these shows a bit. Not that I hate them.

Anyway, 2014 seems like a nice year with a lot of (supposedly) good anime coming out so I'm fine if the the cash from these shows contribute to it one way or another.

Yes, indeed, I also don't think they should disappear, but I don't want a lot of them either

jal90 said:

Who said that, good Lord, what's up with all this butthurt of you guys?
Feb 7, 2014 6:32 AM

Oct 2010
Rashkolnikov said:
jal90 said:

Who said that, good Lord, what's up with all this butthurt of you guys?

Nobody, it's just two shows I rate the same :)

Orsonius did come with something though.
Feb 7, 2014 6:34 AM

Nov 2012
Never in a million years
School/club slice of life is very relaxing to watch, it actually help relieve stress.
Feb 7, 2014 6:35 AM
Apr 2013
ButNotForMe said:
jal90 said:

That was why Nichijou sold like shit amirite

At least for now but the loss they had made were minimised by the recent success of Free.
Feb 7, 2014 6:41 AM

Dec 2009
If there will be only "good quality" anime and non all-same-school-club stuff, you won't really understand that those "good" shows are really good. You see it only when you start to compare them to the rest. Its like eating only in restaurants - eventually you will get the idea its not a high quality food, but some average cooking (yeah, I know its not best example, but still).
Thats why I think all those school life shows should stay. Maybe the amount of them made each season should be a bit lower or shows should be a bit different in terms of main plot.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - 19 minutes ago

3 by Old_School_Akira »»
4 minutes ago

» Secondary characters

JoeChip - 3 hours ago

15 by JTRAnimeNewb »»
12 minutes ago

» What filters do you use while browsing MAL?

Dije - 42 minutes ago

4 by 23feanor »»
23 minutes ago

» Does a person die the moment they become egg custard or the moment they're eaten as an egg custard?

Dragevard - May 27

13 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
31 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - 32 minutes ago

0 by Anjuro »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.