Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Jul 21, 2013 4:58 PM

Jun 2008
I'm also looking for a few recommendations based on my list.

tl;dr: I'm more into NGE/LAIN/Akira/"intellectual" anime in general. Never really like DBZ, Saint Seiya or Baccano, I think the golden age of anime was during 1999 to 2007 and don't really like the average japanese comedy (I enjoyed stuff like NHK or SZS though). Currently watching Dennou Coil (which is pretty good imo) and will start with LOGH after that (I never watch animus longer than 20-something eps, but somebody recommended it)

Jul 21, 2013 5:16 PM

Sep 2012
So, you just watched the beard episode. What did you think of that?

Anyway, I recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena and Kino no Tabi.
Jul 21, 2013 9:53 PM

Jun 2008
Popka said:

It was really funny and it had a strong message. It was refreshing in a way, and it worked well as pivot to the "darker" episodes. A nice filler overall.

I've never watched utena because I had a "EWWWW shoujo, gross" attitude back in the day, I may give it a chance. Never heard of Kino no Tabi but it looks like something right up my alley, thanks :)

Jul 21, 2013 11:49 PM

May 2012
little_raven said:
Popka said:

It was really funny and it had a strong message. It was refreshing in a way, and it worked well as pivot to the "darker" episodes. A nice filler overall.

I've never watched utena because I had a "EWWWW shoujo, gross" attitude back in the day, I may give it a chance. Never heard of Kino no Tabi but it looks like something right up my alley, thanks :)

Every Anime you've watched is an anime you've watched.
I think you just don't want to waste your time...
Anyway,
Take ur time and expand your horizons; taste refining occurs mostly by watchin many different types of shows, it is not a requirement that anime must fit your currrent taste, your current taste must fit to the anime.

Everyone has different tastes, so what we get here is a cummulation of what the majority likes. When was the time that newbies needed to gain experience before they could openly share a worthy opinion?
The top rated series are the genres that are the most popular, and after that comes the score based on the quality in that same genre. It's all about quantity: the biggest number of people who think the same wins.

Jul 22, 2013 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
Looking for another deconstruction or any genre that deviates from the usual tropes that I haven't watched. I don't want to watch Bokurano Anyone?
Jul 22, 2013 1:36 AM

Apr 2009
Utakata?
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 22, 2013 1:39 AM

Dec 2012
Burningblade04 said:
Looking for another deconstruction or any genre that deviates from the usual tropes that I haven't watched. I don't want to watch Bokurano Anyone?

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
Jul 22, 2013 1:45 AM
Jul 2018
tsudecimo said:
Burningblade04 said:

Is it going to be worth my time if I don't like rom coms? (I just don't like anime comedy in general either, I rated BokuHa, Chuuni, Bakatest, etc really low if that tells you something). I like something with a plot, or unless it has really REALLY good characters to compensate. (Should've noted that some genres I don't like are harem, comedy (mostly school related ones), shounen-ai).
removed-userJul 22, 2013 2:05 AM
Jul 22, 2013 3:25 AM

May 2012
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, perhaps? I haven't seen enough Mahou Shoujo anime to compare it to, but I've heard that it was the closest thing to Madoka before Madoka existed.
Jul 22, 2013 3:37 AM

Jun 2012
Burningblade04 said:
tsudecimo said:
Burningblade04 said:

Is it going to be worth my time if I don't like rom coms? (I just don't like anime comedy in general either, I rated BokuHa, Chuuni, Bakatest, etc really low if that tells you something). I like something with a plot, or unless it has really REALLY good characters to compensate. (Should've noted that some genres I don't like are harem, comedy (mostly school related ones), shounen-ai).

OreGairu is not much a deconstruction and has subpar and convoluted writing from time to time so I'd suggest avoid it at all.

Seconding Nid with UtaKata, it's a very well written deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre.
Jul 22, 2013 4:35 AM

Dec 2012
Burningblade04 said:

A lot of people who don't like rom/com in general liked it. It's really different from your usual rom/com. Oregairu has pretty good characters, possibly the best MC in rom/com and it executes the common cliche tropes of rom/com in an original and cynic way along with well written monologues and social commentary. I really doubt you will hate Hachiman, no matter what taste you have.

To quote someone with very similar taste as yours:
''>Watch Haganai I heard it's similar to Oregairu

Not at all. I can't begin to draw any similarities between the two series. Haganai is a generic rom/com harem, whereas Yahari focuses more on black humor than putting any real focus on romance.

The problem with anime nowadays is that the school setting has been done to death and it deters anyone from watching new series set in school, and I probably wouldn't have watched it myself if I hadn't read the manga beforehand. Yahari's main character basically makes the anime. The guy doesn't give a fuck and says anything he wants to. The dialogue and monologues are very well written and it basically makes the anime go out of the norm of any other school anime.

I'm not sitting here and trying to say, "watch the anime," but I'm saying that trying to say that it's like any other generic school anime, or that it's like other rom/coms is just pure bullshit, because it simply isn't.
''
Valkyrion said:

OreGairu is not much a deconstruction and has subpar and convoluted writing from time to time so I'd suggest avoid it at all.

Nobody said it's a deconstruction and nice buzzwords. Sigh.
Jul 22, 2013 5:19 AM

Jun 2012
tsudecimo said:

Valkyrion said:

Nobody said it's a deconstruction and nice buzzwords. Sigh.

I don't have to elaborate every time I speak my mind especially since this is a recommendation topic and not a discussion topic and why are you so intolerant of people who have different tastes than yours anyway. I have reasons for saying things 95% of the time and won't bother writing walls of text in every post when it's not necessary
Jul 22, 2013 5:39 AM

Apr 2009
@tsudecimo:
Please read this.
Jul 22, 2013 5:43 AM

Dec 2012
Yes, yes I'm sorry. It's just a fun habit :).

Yea V
tsudecimoJul 22, 2013 5:55 AM
Jul 22, 2013 5:54 AM

Apr 2009
Then read the rules regarding baiting. If you do it on purpose you might receive more than a strike. Got it?
Jul 22, 2013 7:47 AM

Jan 2013
Burningblade04 said:

I have yet to see Utakata but I know it is indeed a mahou shojo deconstruction, Yahari Ore on the other hand is just your typical service club comedy with stale humour and misanthropic leads as its schtick, I would hardly call it a deconstruction really from what I recall.
Jul 22, 2013 9:14 PM

Jul 2013
Can anyone recommend anything with great story for me? :)
Jul 22, 2013 9:21 PM

Nov 2011
DesolatumDeus said:
Can anyone recommend anything with great story for me? :)

I'm sorry, but this is really unspecific.

What genres do you like? What are you favorite series?
Jul 22, 2013 9:40 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah, you're right, I should have elaborated. I'm usually open to most genres, other than harems (unless they have some good to them) and stuff way too full of moe for no reason. (Not sure if moe can really count as genre anyway) I do prefer shows with a touch of fantasy or supernatural in them. I also enjoy some tear jerkers. Some of my favorite series would be FMA: Brotherhood, NGE, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, and I guess Clannad to a degree. Mostly AF.
Jul 23, 2013 3:40 PM

Jun 2008
moeslasher said:
little_raven said:
Popka said:

Every Anime you've watched is an anime you've watched.
I think you just don't want to waste your time...
Anyway,
Take ur time and expand your horizons; taste refining occurs mostly by watchin many different types of shows, it is not a requirement that anime must fit your currrent taste, your current taste must fit to the anime.

Everyone has different tastes, so what we get here is a cummulation of what the majority likes. When was the time that newbies needed to gain experience before they could openly share a worthy opinion?
The top rated series are the genres that are the most popular, and after that comes the score based on the quality in that same genre. It's all about quantity: the biggest number of people who think the same wins.

I'm not really sure about what you mean, as you probably have noticed English is not my native language so I may be missing something.

Anyways I have no problems with Shoujo nowadays, and yeah time is an issue of course - I wish I was still 15 yo and had no responsibilities - but I try to give a chance to everything. I even watched 30-something Naruto episodes before dying of boredom :D

Jul 27, 2013 11:19 AM

Oct 2011
Friends, I'm in need of recommendations.

So this upcoming week, I have found myself with a wonderful three days off in a row, and have since planned to marathon and watch four anime titles over that time period, mostly shorter anime. I have already picked two of my four titles, and would like your help in picking my last two. The Tatami Galaxy and Kino's Journey are my two picks, so those are out of the question. I'm free to any rec's, but I would hopefully like them to be among the same quality of the two aforementioned titles, if possible. Only other requirements is they must be from 11-13 episodes in length.

Please, and thank you for any and all rec's.
Jul 27, 2013 11:46 AM
Jul 2012
I need help on the titles I may need to watch on the future.

Do you think Otogizoushi will be worth to watch for me? And, is Full Metal Panic! good to watch too?
Jul 27, 2013 12:20 PM

Jul 2013
I haven't seen Otogizoushi so I can't say about that, but since you liked a few other mechas you should give Full metal Panic! a try. If it's mostly the action you're looking for I'd stick to the first 2 seasons, but if you prefer the Comedy/Romance aspects you might want to watch Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu as well.
Jul 27, 2013 9:29 PM

Apr 2012
GoldenBRS said:

Do you think Otogizoushi will be worth to watch for me? And, is Full Metal Panic! good to watch too?

Yep, the Second Raid is easily the best thing KyoAni ever did in my opinion :D
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 28, 2013 1:04 AM

Jan 2013
lordzeru said:

So this upcoming week, I have found myself with a wonderful three days off in a row, and have since planned to marathon and watch four anime titles over that time period, mostly shorter anime. I have already picked two of my four titles, and would like your help in picking my last two. The Tatami Galaxy and Kino's Journey are my two picks, so those are out of the question. I'm free to any rec's, but I would hopefully like them to be among the same quality of the two aforementioned titles, if possible. Only other requirements is they must be from 11-13 episodes in length.

-Kemonozume: I just started myself, and on your list it says you have it downloaded, so perhaps that as some people in the club seem to really enjoy it (also, Yuasa does Tatami as well)
-Kure-nai: I love it to death and have tried to promote it to various club members, but I'm not sure how it fares with everybody else. I find it to be incredible but I've heard people say otherwise (with varying degrees of support quality however). One thing's for certain, the fight scenes are visceral in every sense of the word (I've said it a million times here and there, but it sums it up perfectly).
-House of 5 Leaves: An acquired taste, but a fulfilling short watch if I may say so.
-Fujiko Mine: Also in your PTW, and while I haven't actually SEEN much Lupin despite having some basic knowledge on the franchise, I found it to be a delightful treat (been a while since I've last seen it, so I can't go into detail really).
-Flag: heard great things; you have it downloaded
-Bartender: " "
-Haibane Renmei: just picked it up today actually, but same as 2 above
-Moyashimon (season 1): Supposedly a good comedy revolving around college life, so it could go in hand with Tatami Galaxy
Some of those are loose suggestions, but they are suggestions nonetheless.
Jul 28, 2013 1:47 AM

Dec 2011
lordzeru said:

I recommend House of Five Leaves. It's ridiculously easy to marathon because the flow of this anime is like a gentle stream. The story is fairly simple, but that just means that there's more focus on the characters, who are each either endearing or intruiging. This series reminds me of Mushishi and Tatami Galaxy, and I know you already like one of them, so if you end up like Tatami too then I bet you'd like this one. Also if you're put off by the art, just stick with it. By the second episode you'll be used to it.

And I also recommend Mononoke, which you already have downloaded. It's also easy to marathon because it's split into five mini arcs. I wasn't feeling this one early on, but the arcs (especially the last two) are definitely memorable, and the animation and storylines will likely keep you intrigued.
Jul 28, 2013 2:11 AM

Oct 2011
@Emm and Angels

Thanks you two. I'm going to take a rec from each of you. Going to take Haibane from Angels, and Mononoke from Emm. Hopefully this is great week I need it to be from all the bad anime I watch.
Jul 28, 2013 9:21 AM
Jul 2012
seelteam6 said:
I haven't seen Otogizoushi so I can't say about that, but since you liked a few other mechas you should give Full metal Panic! a try. If it's mostly the action you're looking for I'd stick to the first 2 seasons, but if you prefer the Comedy/Romance aspects you might want to watch Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu as well.
sushi55 said:
GoldenBRS said:

Yep, the Second Raid is easily the best thing KyoAni ever did in my opinion :D

Thanks you two. I like action that have's some character development since you mention about comedy too, I will watch it.
Jul 29, 2013 3:24 PM

Dec 2012
I just finished Emanon and I liked it, I was wondering if someone can recommend another good manga with the same length, something that's not longer than 2 or 3 volumes.
Jul 29, 2013 4:33 PM

Apr 2009
Harukana Machi-E. Taniguchi is always worth reading.
Aug 1, 2013 3:06 PM

Oct 2009
Hello everyone, Im gonna throw my name into this hat and ask for a recommendation @_@
Aug 1, 2013 3:27 PM

Apr 2009
AgehaMist said:
Hello everyone, Im gonna throw my name into this hat and ask for a recommendation @_@

I can catch your hat, but I could do even more for you if you'd specify what kind of series you are looking for.
Anime or manga? Comedy or drama? Something light and fluffy or something deep and heavy?
Aug 1, 2013 3:28 PM

Jan 2013
AgehaMist said:

Casshern Sins, Fist of the North Star (1st series only), Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012, Kemonozume, Kure-nai, Lupin the Third: Tale of Fujiko Mine, Noein, Nurarihyon no Mago: Sennen Makyou (and manga chapters afterwards), RahXephon, Rainbow, Redline and Yozakura Quartet OVAs and the new TV series may be up your alley since you are really big on action anime it seems.
Aug 1, 2013 3:36 PM

Oct 2009
@Nidhoegger - Yea that would probably more helpful LOL... Anime, probably more on the dramatic side, and something deep and heavy would be nice

@Angels Arcanum - Thank you! So many to chose from @_@ haha after looking some of these up Jojos bizarre adventure looks the coolest to me XD
Aug 3, 2013 1:48 PM

Feb 2013
Hey guys, i'm looking for a great anime comedy which is not in my completed/hold/PTW.

I'd like something original and fun if possible (i just watched Girls und panzer, enjoyed it).

Thank you!
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Aug 3, 2013 2:39 PM

Dec 2012
Sh0wdown said:
Hey guys, i'm looking for a great anime comedy which is not in my completed/hold/PTW.

I'd like something original and fun if possible (i just watched Girls und panzer, enjoyed it).

Thank you!

Binbougami ga
Nichijou (it's like the most original thing Kyo ani ever did)
Daily Lives of High School Boys

Your list background is amazing btw.
Aug 3, 2013 2:41 PM

May 2013
Can someone recommend me something light and funny please? I need to recover from 5 Centimeters per Second...

Aug 3, 2013 2:51 PM

Dec 2012
See above.
Aug 4, 2013 12:26 AM

May 2012
Seconding Nichijou and especially Daily Lives of Highschool Boys. Also try Cromartie High School and Detroit Metal City, and if you want a rom-com that's comedy heavy try Lovely Complex.
Aug 4, 2013 4:14 AM

Feb 2013
Thank you Tsudecimo and RarityRoyale, started Nichijou and Daily lives, some great scenes already :)

I've already tried Lovely complex but i just ... hate Shoujo :(
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Aug 10, 2013 12:54 PM
Nov 2012
Can someone check out my list and comment generally on it? Also, are there any recommendations based on what I've watched (I have a lot on my plan to watch list and it's overwhelming)?
Aug 10, 2013 2:15 PM

Jan 2013
Deadhardy said:
Can someone check out my list and comment generally on it? Also, are there any recommendations based on what I've watched (I have a lot on my plan to watch list and it's overwhelming)?

Add: Hunter X Hunter 1998 and Yorknew Continuation OVA, Beast Player Erin, Kemonozume, Kure-nai,Tale of Fujiko Mine, Rainbow, Touch (way better than Major I'm told, and it's a timely classic) and maybe Bunny Drop and Wolf's Rain.

Remove: Ayakashi (just watch Mononoke probably), Basilisk, Btooom, Legend of Legendary Heroes, Ergo Proxy (?), Gantz, Initial D, Jormungand, Mirai Nikki, Occult Academy and Zegapain. Some I've seen bits of while others are generally not well received. Other than that, your PTW list is dang well near perfect lol.
Aug 10, 2013 3:03 PM

Jun 2011
I could use some new anime to watch. I would very much appreciate it if somebody would recommend me some anime.

I-If T-Thats all right if with you....

its not like i wanted you guys to recommend me some anime.... i just couldn't find any I'd be interested in....

baka
Aug 10, 2013 4:11 PM
Nov 2012
AngelsArcanum said:
Deadhardy said:

Add: Hunter X Hunter 1998 and Yorknew Continuation OVA, Beast Player Erin, Kemonozume, Kure-nai,Tale of Fujiko Mine, Rainbow, Touch (way better than Major I'm told, and it's a timely classic) and maybe Bunny Drop and Wolf's Rain.

Remove: Ayakashi (just watch Mononoke probably), Basilisk, Btooom, Legend of Legendary Heroes, Ergo Proxy (?), Gantz, Initial D, Jormungand, Mirai Nikki, Occult Academy and Zegapain. Some I've seen bits of while others are generally not well received. Other than that, your PTW list is dang well near perfect lol.

thx for the recommendations
Aug 10, 2013 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
So what shows do you think would be good for me to watch based on my list? What do you recommend?

Also, is there anything I should pull off of my Plan To Watch list?

Don't recommend I watch slice of life, please.
removed-userAug 12, 2013 11:32 AM
Aug 10, 2013 4:52 PM

Apr 2012
FastWheels said:
I could use some new anime to watch. I would very much appreciate it if somebody would recommend me some anime.

I-If T-Thats all right if with you....

its not like i wanted you guys to recommend me some anime.... i just couldn't find any I'd be interested in....

baka

Try:

Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu
Rose of Versailles
Night Raid 1931 (Plot's a bit weak but it didn't feel like a chore to watch)
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 10, 2013 9:57 PM

Apr 2013
Aaarrrggghhh... Can someone give me a suggestion as to what to watch/read from my Ptw/Ptr list next. Note: take my taste's outlined in my list into consideration.
Aug 10, 2013 10:12 PM

Apr 2012
I'm in the mood for some amazing battle shonen, preferably with a decent romance *stares at Amber*.
Any suggestions?

JohnDavis32 said:
Aaarrrggghhh... Can someone give me a suggestion as to what to watch/read from my Ptw/Ptr list next. Note: take my taste's outlined in my list into consideration.

Don't read Suzuka. Just. Don't. See my review for further information.
Legend of the Legendary Heroes seems like a really good suggestion.
You liked Elfen Lied, Mirai Nikki may be something up your sleeve.
GO WATCH RUROUNI KENSHIN;TRUST AND BETRAYAL RIGHT NOW.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 10, 2013 10:20 PM

Apr 2013
Okay, I will watch "Rurouni Kenshin; Trust and Betrayal".

Hmmmm, Mirai Nikki. -- I MIGHT watch it.
Aug 12, 2013 7:58 AM

Jan 2013
JohnDavis32 said:
Okay, I will watch "Rurouni Kenshin; Trust and Betrayal".

Hmmmm, Mirai Nikki. -- I MIGHT watch it.

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal is essential, it is absolutely astounding, but don't waste your time on Mirai Nikki :/.
AngelsArcanumAug 12, 2013 8:02 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.