Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (199) « First ... « 127 128 [129] 130 131 » ... Last »
May 23, 2013 11:48 AM

May 2013
My Overrated Anime is --> Sword Art Online Because for me the characters are vert stereotypical specially like kirito. And there's no actual character development at all, the part of it which is the ALO part is really disappointing with all this saving asuna. And what's with suguha ? It's like she just become the female main character and asuna is forgotten and the last part of the last episode which kirito and suguha dancing ! like really ?? It was so awkward for me because asuna is there ! It should be kirito and asuna dancing. And what's with the creator of sword art online or is it nerve gear ?? It's like when kirito ask him why he created it he just says " I DON'T KNOW", come on what kind of answer is that ??

I don't know if sao is just popular because of the mmorpg theme of it and the famous 16.5.

MY MOST UNDERRATERATED ANIME IS : Steins gate, Madoka Magica,fate stay night I think it needs more love ! because the story of it is more complex than sao.. and every characters got a chance to shine. In FSN I think people don't watch it because fate zero just really freakin amazing and the animation of it looks fabulous while the FSN don't really have that kind of animation because it's more older. But i hope people would watch FSN because the characters like rin, shirou, and really stood out to me. Although in the novel sakura really played a big role.
May 23, 2013 11:59 AM

Oct 2012
johnyjohny said:
DYRE said:
johnyjohny said:
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Good art was the only good thing i could think off, but maybe om just not a magical gril kind of person since it is the only Magi girl anime i watched)

It's a magical girl anime for people who don't actually like magical girl anime, so watching more probably wouldn't make you like it any more.
I think i will never get what is so good about this show

Because you don't realize what Madoka brought to the table.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 23, 2013 12:00 PM

Mar 2013
This thread is better as a discussion rather than just listinig.
nyways Over:the usuals..naruto,bleach....but also NGE
Under: One that comes to mind is Spice and WOlf,also,Berserk,
Gantz
May 23, 2013 12:03 PM

Oct 2012
Safster1999 said:
This thread is better as a discussion rather than just listinig.

It is supposed to be more of a discussion, refer to the first post:
Sick_Bastard said:

Moderator Edit:
Please explain your choices and/or discuss other choices. This is not a simple listing thread.

May 23, 2013 12:19 PM

Oct 2012
DYRE said:

That's all... pretty questionable as evidence of Madoka being a good anime. The thing with other "deconstructions" is that they tend to actually have something to say about the things they're deconstructing. Evangelion is partly a criticism of escapism through anime, for instance, and Perfect Blue harshly criticizes fetishization/objectification of celebrities, as well as otaku culture and whatnot. But with Madoka Magica... there's really no meaning to it at all. It's functional as a story and it's pretty tightly written and it doesn't have any filler episodes and the characterization more or less makes sense and the action scenes are good and it's totally reasonable for people to like the show, but ultimately its differences from other magical girl shows don't really do anything except make it seem different. Which is fine and undoubtedly contributed to its popularity but I do think it's a little bit questionable to call it a deconstruction.

Well I cannot really speak a lot about it, this is true, only basing it off from users that see Madoka in a different light. I myself did not really like Madoka Magica when I first watched it; the characters didn't feel fleshed out enough for me to really 'care' what would happen to them. Only until I started reading about posts from people that watched a lot of magical girl anime expressed how this really took magical girl anime in a different approach did I take note of what this anime's purpose truly was. Not the first for being dark, but one of the unique anime out there to show 'realistic' characterization toward their circumstances.

However, I appreciated it a lot more after reading the manga called The Different Story which really offered some character interaction that I felt was lacking in the anime.
ShoryuMay 23, 2013 12:27 PM

May 23, 2013 12:43 PM

Mar 2013
One Piece is overrated.

In MY FUCKING OPINION.

inb4 haters, come at me.
May 23, 2013 12:45 PM

Oct 2012
Chakaara said:
One Piece is overrated.

In MY FUCKING OPINION.

inb4 haters, come at me.

SnK is overrated.

inb4 Titans come at me.

May 23, 2013 1:44 PM
Sep 2011
Tavor said:

If we're going by the TV Tropes definition, then we can sum "Deconstruction" up as.. "How would this trope play out with Real Life consequences applied to it?" That's what I've come to accept a deconstruction as, something that points out logistical fallacies in a work of fiction, pointing out that this thing that's happen would only play out this way because it's fiction.

Madoka does that to some degree, but it's difficult to argue that Madoka-style magical girls are "What being a magical girl would be like in real life."

Plus when you're dealing with a concept built entirely on fantasy, especially magic. It's hard to say what would be "realistic". So if we're to go with deconstruction meaning "Twists the genre" or "injects it full of dark and angst" then yes, Madoka succeeds at that.
May 23, 2013 1:54 PM

Mar 2012
Let's ignore the high ratings and popularity in Japan and focus on the west for this one.

Precure. The entire franchise. Not a single part of the show has an average rating over an 8. Now I'm a huge fan of Madoka Magica, but the one thing I don't like about it is that now people think there's something inherently wrong with doing a straightforward genre piece (Like Precure with magical girls). Is Precure a brutal subversion of the genre? Not at all. It's very family friendly. Is there anything wrong with that? Absolutely not. Does that mean it can't be good? Nope. Is it good? Yes it is.

I'm halfway through Heartcatch (Ranked 7.97) and I'd say it's significantly better than most of the shows ranked over 9 including the number 1 anime. Apparently the final episodes have dragon punching so I'll look forward to that
May 23, 2013 1:58 PM

Nov 2012
Tavor said:
johnyjohny said:
DYRE said:
johnyjohny said:
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Good art was the only good thing i could think off, but maybe om just not a magical gril kind of person since it is the only Magi girl anime i watched)

It's a magical girl anime for people who don't actually like magical girl anime, so watching more probably wouldn't make you like it any more.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here but, aren't there countless of that kind of animes choices come with sacrifices.
May 23, 2013 2:08 PM

Jul 2012
Chakaara said:
One Piece is overrated.

In MY FUCKING OPINION.

inb4 haters, come at me.

it is but
>SAO 10/10
> Clannad 10/10 haven't watched it and never will 'cause I hate Comedy-Romance slice of life anime
>Shingeki no Kyojin 10/10 go and watch Naruto
this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easy

OT: Overrated:Mars of Destruction, K-On, Lucky Star,Highschool of the Dead, the list goes on and on and on
Underrated:Digimon Tamers, Mardock Scramble The First Compression
הלב שלי כבר מת
May 23, 2013 2:15 PM

Mar 2012
johnyjohny said:
Tavor said:
johnyjohny said:
DYRE said:
johnyjohny said:

I'm not trying to be a smartass here but, aren't there countless of that kind of animes choices come with sacrifices.
And not a single one does it as well as Madoka Magica
May 23, 2013 2:16 PM

Oct 2012
johnyjohny said:

The point being though it's a huge factor within the magical girl anime genre to do this sort of thing with a dark twist at hand. However, I'm not the best to consult about this, just merely pointing out how some people appreciate this (nor am I saying it's the only reason to like Madoka Magica).

It's similar to saying that Evangelion is a deconstruction of the mecha genre because of the immense importance placed on the character's psychological despair in reaction to the situations they are placed in.

Though, I have discussed with ZetaZaku about this and he points out that Evangelion definitely isn't the first to deconstruct the mecha genre.

May 23, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
Houndthree said:
Chakaara said:
One Piece is overrated.

In MY FUCKING OPINION.

inb4 haters, come at me.

it is but
>SAO 10/10
> Clannad 10/10 haven't watched it and never will 'cause I hate Comedy-Romance slice of life anime
>Shingeki no Kyojin 10/10 go and watch Naruto
this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easy

OT: Overrated:Mars of Destruction, K-On, Lucky Star,Highschool of the Dead, the list goes on and on and on
Underrated:Digimon Tamers, Mardock Scramble The First Compression

Mars of Destruction's average score is something like 2.5
May 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Jul 2012
Still overrated as fuck it was so bad that I did not even enjoy it
They should remove Mars of Destruction from the MAL database seriously
הלב שלי כבר מת
May 23, 2013 2:25 PM

Oct 2012
Houndthree said:

No man, I appreciate it for being an Evangelion parody.
I say let it stay.

May 23, 2013 2:33 PM

Nov 2012
Tavor said:
It's similar to saying that Evangelion is a deconstruction of the mecha genre because of the immense importance placed on the character's psychological despair in reaction to the situations they are placed in.
All right this is so true. I think i get where you getting at.
May 23, 2013 2:40 PM

Dec 2012
DYRE said:
Tavor said:

That's all... pretty questionable as evidence of Madoka being a good anime. The thing with other "deconstructions" is that they tend to actually have something to say about the things they're deconstructing. Evangelion is partly a criticism of escapism through anime, for instance, and Perfect Blue harshly criticizes fetishization/objectification of celebrities, as well as otaku culture and whatnot. But with Madoka Magica... there's really no meaning to it at all. It's functional as a story and it's pretty tightly written and it doesn't have any filler episodes and the characterization more or less makes sense and the action scenes are good and it's totally reasonable for people to like the show, but ultimately its differences from other magical girl shows don't really do anything except make it seem different. Which is fine and undoubtedly contributed to its popularity but I do think it's a little bit questionable to call it a deconstruction.

I disagree that there is no overall meaning to the show. One of the things that I found compelling about the series is that despite being a deconstruction, Madoka does not present a criticism of its genre and surroundings like Eva, but rather exemplifies some of the most important messages of the magical girl genre.
daedroth4May 23, 2013 4:02 PM
May 23, 2013 3:08 PM

Mar 2012
Houndthree said:
There is a whole bunch of Chinese and Korean stuff that really shouldn't be on here, and the one thing you want to get rid of is Mars of Destruction? Well, I don't like Naruto so therefore it should be taken off this site even though it's one of the most popular anime & manga of all time in the west.
May 24, 2013 12:14 AM

Feb 2011
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita is overated.

I mean the anime is not bad at all. I think want to express it's message but it make it hard to catch... I thought it would be far better.

I like the voice of the protagonist, the fairys, and some of the messages, but it's a totally mess show.

I think it's a little overated just because it's original, but I found it a little boring and without sense in most of the cases.

Underated: Aku No Hana

OMG the story and feelings are intense, i feel it every time and feel the pressure of the situations, I think is good. The art is shit as hell, I know and I'm agree but... I don't say is a masterpiece but it's quite good, not for having a 6 in MAL to be honest!
May 24, 2013 11:36 AM
Sep 2012
Stupid people, when someone says a high rated anime is underrated, and you point out its ranking -_-

being underrated is relative, if it's #10 and underrated then it means it should be like... #9 or 6 or 1.

Underrated: Shingeki no Kyojin and Death Note.

And FMA 2003 and Hunter x Hunter

And Jojo
May 24, 2013 11:46 AM

Apr 2011
HurricaneSweet said:
being underrated is relative, if it's #10 and underrated then it means it should be like... #9 or 6 or 1.

This thread is about ratings, not rankings.
May 24, 2013 12:56 PM

Mar 2013
HurricaneSweet said:
Stupid people, when someone says a high rated anime is underrated, and you point out its ranking -_-

Underrated: Shingeki no Kyojin and Death Note.

And FMA 2003 and Hunter x Hunter

And Jojo

ChakaaraMay 24, 2013 1:05 PM
May 24, 2013 1:32 PM
May 2013
how is SNK underrated ? it's rated 8.8 in MAL although it's still ongoing

Overrated :

SAO

Zetsuen No Tempest

AW

Underrated :

Ro Kyu Bu!
May 24, 2013 2:52 PM
Jul 2018
Tavor said:
johnyjohny said:
DYRE said:
johnyjohny said:

May 24, 2013 2:56 PM

Oct 2012
Neane1993 said:
Tavor said:
johnyjohny said:
DYRE said:
johnyjohny said:

That was rather interesting.

I can't fully invest my trust into TV Tropes; I'll do my best to be cautious, thanks!

May 25, 2013 2:10 AM

Apr 2012
Underrated: Welcome to NHK, Fruits Basket, Eureka 7
Overrated: Naruto, Bleach

。◕‿◕。 Fun In Life is what Matters! The More the Fun the better your Life Becomes!! 。◕‿◕。

May 25, 2013 5:07 AM

Jan 2013
Houndour87 said:
I don't think Eureka 7 is underrated, it has a score of 8.32?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 25, 2013 5:16 AM

Oct 2010
el_putazo said:
Houndour87 said:
I don't think Eureka 7 is underrated, it has a score of 8.32?

Similar thing with Welcome to the NHK actually (8,49), maybe he means around the internet (though I've never seen much heavy criticism on it either) and not only MAL.
May 25, 2013 5:19 AM

Nov 2012
I think that Animes like Naruto and Bleach are suppressed by haters enough. So underrated even Naruto.
May 25, 2013 1:27 PM
Apr 2013
Overrated: Gintama, Highschool of the Dead, Soul Eater, Bleach, Sword Art Online, One Piece, Code Geass

Underrated: Detective Conan, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Hellsing
Dwo0wBzf9hOnDhPwJun 12, 2013 5:59 PM
May 26, 2013 9:09 PM

May 2013
ColinBanks96 said:
Overrated: Gintama, Highschool of the Dead, Soul Eater, Bleach, Sword Art Online, One Piece, Angel Beats, Code Geass

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Settle down there pal. I don't think Gintama is overrated (Maybe on this site) but overall I think it's position is fairly justified.

Wait a minute.... one episode.... what.... You watch one episode and drop it and are now qualified to call it overrated!? It gets better you just need to see it's true colors, very few anime start off amazing from episode 1.

At least watch to episode 10 or get into some serious story arcs before you make a judgment, then you can hate on it all you want.

Thank you, that will be all.

Mod Edit: Removed insults.
LunaMay 27, 2013 6:53 AM

IM BACK
May 27, 2013 4:41 AM
Apr 2013
DingoBingo said:
ColinBanks96 said:
Overrated: Gintama, Highschool of the Dead, Soul Eater, Bleach, Sword Art Online, One Piece, Angel Beats, Code Geass

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Settle down there pal. I don't think Gintama is overrated (Maybe on this site) but overall I think it's position is fairly justified.

Wait a minute.... one episode.... what.... You watch one episode and drop it and are now qualified to call it overrated!? It gets better you just need to see it's true colors, very few anime start off amazing from episode 1.

At least watch to episode 10 or get into some serious story arcs before you make a judgment, then you can hate on it all you want.

Thank you, that will be all.

I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Gintama to be honest. Watched like half of it and thought it was really shit.

I take back what I said about Angel Beats. I finished it last night and it's now one of my favourite anime. Now I'm thinking that it's underrated LOL

Mod Edit: Modified quote and the response to the removed parts. Also merged your posts, please do not double post.
Also, please explain why you think something is overrated/underrated.
LunaMay 27, 2013 6:55 AM
May 27, 2013 5:36 AM

Apr 2012
Underrated:
- The entire Hidamari Sketch franchise
- fucking GJ-Bu
- mother fucking Gunslinger Girl <-- seriously, people complain about "no good anime...wahh!" and we have gems like this under 1000 in the rankings?!
- mother fucking goddamn Saki <-- because lesbian mahjong playing schoolgirls, that's why
- everything made by KyoAni
- Bokura ga Ita <-- I don't know why everyone flips their shit over this show. Not every love story can end all roses and sunshine like

Overated:
- Shingeki no Kyojin <-- yes, it's good...but it's not even fucking 1/3 finished yet. It doesn't deserve to be ranked in the top 10 already. At least let the damn thing finish first

Mod Edit: Removed quote of a modified post.
LunaMay 27, 2013 6:58 AM

May 27, 2013 9:04 AM

Jan 2013
Overrated: Evangelion, Naruto, Bleach, Clannad, Pokemon, saint seiya omega.

Underrated: Tenchi Muyo!/Tenchi Universe, Project A-Ko, Bastard!!, Darkstalkers, Lost Universe, Ronin Warriors.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
May 27, 2013 9:17 AM

Oct 2012
Fairy Tail and Angel Beats! Both have the same rating 8.59 which is ridiculously too high
May 27, 2013 9:21 AM

Nov 2012
natssuu said:
Fairy Tail and Angel Beats! Both have the same rating 8.59 which is ridiculously too high
Don't judge a anime you dropped man.
May 27, 2013 9:23 AM

May 2013
Overrated: Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, Sword Art Online, Neon Genesis Evangelion, K-On

Underrated: Crescent Love, Yozakura Quartet, Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
May 27, 2013 9:42 AM

Mar 2012
Overrated: NGE, Death Note, SAO, Durarara!!, Ranma 1/2 , Dance in the Vampire Bund
May 27, 2013 11:46 AM

Apr 2011
johnyjohny said:
natssuu said:
Don't judge a anime you dropped man.

By that logic, would it mean that a person who dropped an anime on it's last episode should also not have the right to judge it? I didn't watch it to the last episode, but I know enough to say that Fairy Tail is overrated.

May 27, 2013 11:58 AM
Jan 2012
natssuu said:

Agreed with Angel Beats!, i don't like it much, and fortunately isn't a Kyo Ani produced anime, if it was, maybe can would have even best rating, this anime deserves an 8 but no more than 8.3.

About Fairy Tail in a previous post gave my opinion about it.
May 27, 2013 12:00 PM

Mar 2013
To me, every anime in here is either over or under rated.
May 27, 2013 12:12 PM

Dec 2012
Chakaara said:
To me, every anime in here is either over or under rated.

Agreed, Chakaara! Screw Berserk and Ghost in the Shell; let's talk about real classics, like MAPS! (Because there's no way that we could like something that came after the beginning of the 90s, am I right?)
May 27, 2013 12:21 PM

Dec 2012
daniyan said:

Agreed with Angel Beats!, i don't like it much, and fortunately isn't a Kyo Ani produced anime, if it was, maybe can would have even best rating, this anime deserves an 8 but no more than 8.3.

Kyoani fag in a nutshell.
May 27, 2013 12:31 PM

Dec 2012
KillJoyMafia said:

An underrated anime in my opinion is perhaps one of my recently picked up ones: Yumekui Merry, pretty cliche plot and all, but I have a strange attraction towards the series. :X

Don't forget to check out the manga it's based on too!
The actual author is definitely less clumsy than the anime's staff when it comes to the plot and characters, and personally I don't think that the anime gives enough credit to Ushiki Yoshitaka's art style...
May 27, 2013 12:33 PM

Dec 2007
underrated: Revolutionary Girl Utena, Infinite Ryvius,Scrapped Princess (the last one isn't that good but it should be in top 500 at least)
Overrated:everything
May 27, 2013 12:37 PM

Nov 2008
Overrated: everything you like
Underrated: everything I like
May 27, 2013 12:41 PM

Apr 2013
Bakemonogatari.
May 27, 2013 12:41 PM

Apr 2013
Venuduck said:
Overrated: everything you like
Underrated: everything I like

Makes sense. But what if something I like happens to be something you like, this a problem for a greater mind than mine.
May 27, 2013 1:15 PM
Jan 2012
tsudecimo said:
daniyan said:

Kyoani fag in a nutshell.

Hey, at least i didn't watched K-on! and can still not watching this anime yet. But i have to accept your offense in a good manner and consider it as constructive criticism.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (199) « First ... « 127 128 [129] 130 131 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Shojo Anime making a comeback?

RedTea33 - 5 hours ago

8 by ToG25thBaam »»
3 minutes ago

» Which female anime character has the best drip?

Anjuro - 24 minutes ago

3 by Rhae »»
5 minutes ago

» Which anime character would you most like to have a philosophical debate with?

Wendoka - 20 minutes ago

2 by Rhae »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » How dominant is anime in the content you consume?

RobertBobert - 12 hours ago

29 by MeguSae38 »»
15 minutes ago

» Are there any characters which you wanted to see more but were killed early, forgotten or the anime itself was too short?

Shizuna - May 26

28 by Dumb »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.