Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Mar 25, 2013 12:03 AM

Jun 2010
Was going to give it a 9/10, but I settled at 8/10 mostly because the original setting is strong. However the final arc I felt annoyed constantly at the glaring plotholes (to be fair, they filled in one or two holes but there were still more and even the fill was beyond lame). The characters... I never really cared for any of them, Kiroumaru was probably the best character in the entire anime... looked like and was a total badass and pretty righteous fellow. While the humans, despite being founded by scientists as we were lead to believe, were still stupid as fuck and just as terrible as theyve always been (yes, that means the present).

8/10 because some annoyances were far too heavy. Definetly could have been better with more likable main characters (the only one that didnt consistently annoy me was Maria) and not such a weak final arc. The final arc had started out interesting but was quickly just pure suck.. I really had a hard time watching the final 3 eps, while I did feel better about the show by the 2nd half of the final episode, still in discontent.
Mar 25, 2013 12:39 AM

Jan 2011
Damn Kiroumaru best dude in the series but he had a glorious death

8/10 for me really liked this one
Mar 25, 2013 12:42 AM

Feb 2008
I'm so going to miss watching this. What a truly fantastic series this was!
10/10
Mar 25, 2013 12:44 AM

Sep 2008
Sorayin said:
The pacing was completely and utterly fucked, 2nd only to Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. There were no likable characters at all, the story kept changing focus and attempted to be dramatic and the art was rather inconsistent in quality.

I really can only praise it on it's soundtrack and first ED.

Shit tier at best.

you are shit tier at best.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Mar 25, 2013 12:46 AM

May 2011
Great Show, def kept me wanting to see the next episode. 8/10 is my rating

Kiromaru amazing character, great solider & died with honor,
Squealer actions can be debatable but when u r being oppressed, u gotta fight back

Saki & the crew were great characters & the story def became more clear, interesting & gory as it went on.
Mar 25, 2013 12:51 AM

Jun 2009
kuity said:
Sorayin said:
The pacing was completely and utterly fucked, 2nd only to Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. There were no likable characters at all, the story kept changing focus and attempted to be dramatic and the art was rather inconsistent in quality.

Shit tier at best.

your are taste is shit tier at best.

Fixed
AirStylesMar 25, 2013 1:03 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2013 12:52 AM

Mar 2013
kuity said:
Sorayin said:

Shit tier at best.

you are shit tier at best.

i lol'd so hard...i fell off my chair
Mar 25, 2013 1:05 AM
Mar 2013
9/10

Great ending to a great series. Shinsekai Yori had its issues, but on the whole, its been an incredibly rewarding ride.
Mar 25, 2013 1:18 AM

Oct 2012
It is regrettable that they couldn't somehow develop Yakomaru, give a more compelling motive to the Queerats, and show the plight of the villagers in war during the course of the story, rather than attach a lengthy exposition that seem more like afterthought. The time spent on finding and misusing an ancient weapon could have been used more wisely to come up with a more elaborate plan against the fiend, and make the showdown more epic. The ending felt as if nothing has changed, that none of the villagers seem to have learned anything from the events, despite the narrative discussing the possibility of a better future. The revelation regarding "homo" and "hetero" was a farce, since the words mean "same" and "different" in Latin respectively, and has no relation to humankind except when describing sexuality.

I give the show a 7/10, but barely, which is disappointing for sure. It had a lot of promising themes: ambiguous moral perspectives, societal conspiracies, self-preservation, racism... but it never really followed up on any of these angles. We come to know Yakomaru's ideology through several expositions and narratives, but it was never incorporated into the plot meaningfully. Yakomaru was quite unambiguously the bad guy until postmortem, no time was spent considering the value of his actions.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 1:30 AM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
It is regrettable that they couldn't somehow develop Yakomaru, give a more compelling motive to the Queerats, and show the plight of the villagers in war during the course of the story, rather than attach a lengthy exposition that seem more like afterthought. The time spent on finding and misusing an ancient weapon could have been used more wisely to come up with a more elaborate plan against the fiend, and make the showdown more epic. The ending felt as if nothing has changed, that none of the villagers seem to have learned anything from the events, despite the narrative discussing the possibility of a better future. The revelation regarding "homo" and "hetero" was a farce, since the words mean "same" and "different" in Latin respectively, and has no relation to humankind except when describing sexuality.
A few things:

- Perhaps if the novel was written from the point of view by Yakomaru we will see a lot more about him and his thinking.

- I think the showdown is epic enough already

- The villagers most likely learned something, perhaps a lot of things, from the events, but perhaps draw the wrong lessons. It is up to Saki and Satoru to move the direction of future on a course that will prevent similar cases from coming up while keep the balance with better human-queerat relationship.

- Sorry but Homo indeed means Human in Latin. Homo does not mean "same". You made a mistake here. Homos meaning "same" is Greek in origin. So is Hetero.

symbvMar 25, 2013 1:34 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 25, 2013 1:55 AM

Oct 2012

symbv said:
- Perhaps if the novel was written from the point of view by Yakomaru we will see a lot more about him and his thinking.
The show had plenty of interesting things to say about Yakomaru, but why include them if you aren't going to incorporate it into the plot, and exploit the moral ambiguity angle to force the audience to think? Yakomaru clearly has a reasonable belief system to justify his actions (e.g. his actions were not out of sheer chaos), but he was never anything but the token evil guy -- this is a huge opportunity missed. And the series developers must have realized that when they included the exposition in the aftermath.

symbv said:
- The villagers most likely learned something, perhaps a lot of things, from the events, but perhaps draw the wrong lessons. It is up to Saki and Satoru to move the direction of future on a course that will prevent similar cases from coming up while keep the balance with better human-queerat relationship.
None of the core themes of the show were solved by the end of the show. The Queerats' autonomy were promptly laughed off by their human counterparts. There's no indication that "erasing" children who do not manage their Cantus will stop. There's no indication that death feedback will be reconsidered or some other plan set into place to prevent fiends in the future. Satoru never did remember Shun in the end. It's as if the whole events in the show were a dream that never happened. I don't see why it should fall on Saki and Satoru to dictate the direction of humanity, which would prove extremely difficult given that none of the other villagers are even aware of the circumstances that led to the events.

symbv said:
- Sorry but Homo indeed means Human in Latin. Homo does not mean "same". You made a mistake here. Homos meaning "same" is Greek in origin. So is Hetero.
Fine, if you say so, but the fact remains that Hetero has nothing to do with the human origin in scientific naming.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 2:14 AM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
The show had plenty of interesting things to say about Yakomaru, but why include them if you aren't going to incorporate it into the plot, and exploit the moral ambiguity angle to force the audience to think?
I believe the story has done quite lot to incorporate Yakomaru into the plot and from what I see many watchers indeed got prompted to think about what Yakomaru had to say about human identity and relationship between two branches of human species.

katsucats said:
Yakomaru clearly has a reasonable belief system to justify his actions (e.g. his actions were not out of sheer chaos), but he was never anything but the token evil guy -- this is a huge opportunity missed. And the series developers must have realized that when they included the exposition in the aftermath.
Not sure about you, but many do not seem to see him as a token evil guy after finishing the series. And this is the same whether it is in this thread or the Japanese forums I read.

katsucats said:
None of the core themes of the show were solved by the end of the show. The Queerats' autonomy were promptly laughed off by their human counterparts. There's no indication that "erasing" children who do not manage their Cantus will stop. There's no indication that death feedback will be reconsidered or some other plan set into place to prevent fiends in the future. Satoru never did remember Shun in the end. It's as if the whole events in the show were a dream that never happened. I don't see why it should fall on Saki and Satoru to dictate the direction of humanity, which would prove extremely difficult given that none of the other villagers are even aware of the circumstances that led to the events.
> None of the core themes of the show were solved by the end of the show.
And this is one thing that makes this show and the novel great. As I said earlier in this thread, one theme this show explores is the sacrifice and trade-off that may be necessary if you think about the future based on the cards that are dealt to you. For the humans there, they cannot do much about death feedback. The fear of akki and goma is still very strong. And some of what you said is not really right - Satoru actually remembers Shun at the end. As for why it falls on Saki and Satoru to decide the future (NOT the direction of humanity, as their villages is just one of the many villages around the world) it makes sense as they are deemed the heroes and capable of leading. You said "which would prove extremely difficult given that none of the other villagers are even aware of the circumstances that led to the events" , and this is precisely the point - Saki and Satoru know the circumstances and it is up to them to inform the villagers without getting them into making silly decision. They becoming leaders will certainly help to achieve that.

katsucats said:

symbv said:
Fine, if you say so, but the fact remains that Hetero has nothing to do with the human origin in scientific naming.
The point is the connection with "homo" may have been an attempt to hint at a human origin. A kind of word game, so to speak.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 25, 2013 2:34 AM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
katsucats said:
The show had plenty of interesting things to say about Yakomaru, but why include them if you aren't going to incorporate it into the plot, and exploit the moral ambiguity angle to force the audience to think?
I believe the story has done quite lot to incorporate Yakomaru into the plot and from what I see many watchers indeed got prompted to think about what Yakomaru had to say about human identity and relationship between two branches of human species.
Yakomaru's presence is essential to the plot, but his philosophy is not shown to directly clash with the human philosophy in ways that should provide meaningful commentary about how the two groups wrestle with their differences. The characters in the anime treat Yakomaru as the token evil guy, which does not give it a chance to play around with deeper themes.

symbv said:
katsucats said:
Yakomaru clearly has a reasonable belief system to justify his actions (e.g. his actions were not out of sheer chaos), but he was never anything but the token evil guy -- this is a huge opportunity missed. And the series developers must have realized that when they included the exposition in the aftermath.
Not sure about you, but many do not seem to see him as a token evil guy after finishing the series. And this is the same whether it is in this thread or the Japanese forums I read.
Ah, but after finishing the series includes finishing the post-story exposition which was all of the last episode. Explaining a bunch of things about character motivations which could have been included during the actual events of conflict is just lazy, in my opinion. The show does present Yakomaru's beliefs, but it never shows us how we should proceed besides ignorance. None of the characters ever had internal conflict given Yakomaru's beliefs, and the only time they reflected on them was way after the fact -- and it wasn't even Yakomaru's beliefs themselves that prompted this reflection (as if his being was somehow justified because he is a human relative, and wouldn't be if he wasn't).

symbv said:
katsucats said:
> None of the core themes of the show were solved by the end of the show.
And this is one thing that makes this show and the novel great. As I said earlier in this thread, one theme this show explores is the sacrifice and trade-off that may be necessary if you think about the future based on the cards that are dealt to you. For the humans there, they cannot do much about death feedback. The fear of akki and goma is still very strong. And some of what you said is not really right - Satoru actually remembers Shun at the end. As for why it falls on Saki and Satoru to decide the future (NOT the direction of humanity, as their villages is just one of the many villages around the world) it makes sense as they are deemed the heroes and capable of leading. You said "which would prove extremely difficult given that none of the other villagers are even aware of the circumstances that led to the events" , and this is precisely the point - Saki and Satoru know the circumstances and it is up to them to inform the villagers without getting them into making silly decision. They becoming leaders will certainly help to achieve that.
I would agree that sacrifice is a theme of the show, but disagree that by itself that determines greatness. I would have liked to see the characters coming towards more insight regarding how better to approach these sacrifices with the show's conclusion. The characters developed as beings over the course of the show, but they did not seem to have matured: they gained the conviction of adults, but without real specific thoughts to back it up. Perhaps this could be contrived as commentary in its own right, but it does not fare well for a literary work. I want to see the characters wrestle with the show's themes instead of just noticing them in passing.

symbv said:
katsucats said:

symbv said:
The point is the connection with "homo" may have been an attempt to hint at a human origin. A kind of word game, so to speak.
I get the word game, but it's corny and unnecessary. It could have arrived at the same conclusion without pretentious explanations. This isn't a big deal, just a pet peeve of mine.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 2:46 AM

Aug 2010
Another very good series ends...

I really liked the plan and Kiroumaru's death, though I believe it could have used another one or two minutes to solidify the mood, a very emotional scene, should have been utilized more.

About Squealer: a good villain, but I couldn't really feel sorry for him, he may have had good...or at least justifiable intentions at some point, however he went about it the wrong way. Revealing that the queerrats were half humans was a great idea though.

Was kinda expecting the marriage between the last two surviving members of the group, but I still have bitter feelings about it. Saki really went through most of the members didn't she? Shun, Maria and finally Satorou. It's just...I don't know it bothers me a bit. Still, they deserve all the happiness they can get.

I was also hoping that Maria and Mamoru would be alive...

Excellent soundtrack, interesting story and the likable characters were more than enough to make this a very enjoyable series despite the sloppy visuals at time. A sure rewatch someday in the future. 8/10.
Mar 25, 2013 2:52 AM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
Ah, but after finishing the series includes finishing the post-story exposition which was all of the last episode. Explaining a bunch of things about character motivations which could have been included during the actual events of conflict is just lazy, in my opinion. The show does present Yakomaru's beliefs, but it never shows us how we should proceed besides ignorance. None of the characters ever had internal conflict given Yakomaru's beliefs, and the only time they reflected on them was way after the fact -- and it wasn't even Yakomaru's beliefs themselves that prompted this reflection (as if his being was somehow justified because he is a human relative, and wouldn't be if he wasn't).
I think at least Saki displays internal conflict after hearing Yakomaru and knowing his species' origin. And I do not think it should be up to the characters in the world to ponder the questions for us the watchers. They need to deal with the aftermath and the future, while, as I said earlier, the story itself has provided quite a bit of stimulus for us to think about the questions. The story does not show how we should proceed because there is no good answer. We will need to think by ourselves and draw our conclusion over how to proceed if we are in a position of human, or in a position of queerats, given the existing conditions and circumstances, and this is what I think the novel has done very well. And I just want to stress again that, from what I read so far among many western and Japanese watchers, most do not see Yakomaru as a token evil guy. You seem to be one of the minority who think he is till portrayed as a token evil guy by the end of the series.

katsucats said:
I would agree that sacrifice is a theme of the show, but disagree that by itself that determines greatness. I would have liked to see the characters coming towards more insight regarding how better to approach these sacrifices with the show's conclusion. The characters developed as beings over the course of the show, but they did not seem to have matured: they gained the conviction of adults, but without real specific thoughts to back it up. Perhaps this could be contrived as commentary in its own right, but it does not fare well for a literary work. I want to see the characters wrestle with the show's themes instead of just noticing them in passing.
Actually I would say that it is better that the novel to ask us the thought-provoking questions instead of having the characters coming towards insight. What you said seems that you are looking for answer, an answer of how they should proceed with the future. I think the ending has kept open whether the future is going to be smooth or tough, and it is precisely because there is no easy answer. We as the readers/watchers are facing the same challenge as Saki and Satoru now face. I can see you also want to see the struggles but I don't really think they are necessary, as, to me at least, we know that they would need to wrestle with all those issues.

[q
katsucats said:
I get the word game, but it's corny and unnecessary. It could have arrived at the same conclusion without pretentious explanations. This isn't a big deal, just a pet peeve of mine.
But at least it is not the farce you first said it is, right?

Mar 25, 2013 3:05 AM

May 2012
This truly was a very unique and very innovative series. It started out a bit slow, but the final half was very well done. I'm glad I stuck around and chose to ride it out with this show, and I encourage others to do so as well. There aren't many series out there quite like this one, and I think any serious anime fan owes it to themselves to give this one a fair chance to really appreciate the kind of message it wishes to tell the world. The ending really was bittersweet, but hey, at least I got my Saki x Satoru ending! :D
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Mar 25, 2013 3:06 AM

Jun 2009
katsucats said:
Yakomaru's presence is essential to the plot, but his philosophy is not shown to directly clash with the human philosophy in ways that should provide meaningful commentary about how the two groups wrestle with their differences. The characters in the anime treat Yakomaru as the token evil guy, which does not give it a chance to play around with deeper themes.

katsucats said:

I don't think spoon-feeding the viewer is necessary. As the show is made to engage your thoughts.

Yakomaru's actions through out the show has been questioned by both Saki and Satoru (both provide contrasting opinion in most cases).

+ Both Yakomaru and Kiroumaru's action have been extremely logical on a revolution standpoint.

We do not need a back story where Yakomaru is traumatize by the truth by capturing a flase minoshiro and suddenly decide on coup' d'etat.

katsucats said:

We're looking at conditioned human beings 1000 years in the future, with 400+ years(over 12 generations) of societal/genetic/trait conditioning.

katsucats said:

I thought that it's common knowledge nowadays that scientist often have the weirdest sense of humor.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2013 3:23 AM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
katsucats said:
I think at least Saki displays internal conflict after hearing Yakomaru and knowing his species' origin. And I do not think it should be up to the characters in the world to ponder the questions for us the watchers. They need to deal with the aftermath and the future, while, as I said earlier, the story itself has provided quite a bit of stimulus for us to think about the questions. The story does not show how we should proceed because there is no good answer. We will need to think by ourselves and draw our conclusion over how to proceed if we are in a position of human, or in a position of queerats, given the existing conditions and circumstances, and this is what I think the novel has done very well. And I just want to stress again that, from what I read so far among many western and Japanese watchers, most do not see Yakomaru as a token evil guy. You seem to be one of the minority who think he is till portrayed as a token evil guy by the end of the series.
You keep saying "by the end of the series", but the main events in the series end at the beginning of the last episode.

symbv said:
katsucats said:
Actually I would say that it is better that the novel to ask us the thought-provoking questions instead of having the characters coming towards insight. What you said seems that you are looking for answer, an answer of how they should proceed with the future. I think the ending has kept open whether the future is going to be smooth or tough, and it is precisely because there is no easy answer. We as the readers/watchers are facing the same challenge as Saki and Satoru now face. I can see you also want to see the struggles but I don't really think they are necessary, as, to me at least, we know that they would need to wrestle with all those issues.
I am not looking for an answer to the future, I am looking for how the characters came up with an answer to their future. Developing character insight into their world is not the same as spoon-feeding the audience; in fact, the expositions in the last episode are exactly what you are criticizing. Precisely because there are no easy answers, it must be known that the characters themselves understand this.

symbv said:
katsucats said:
But at least it is not the farce you first said it is, right?
It's a farce because "Hetero" was never used this way in this context. It's an attempt to sound intelligent without being intelligent.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 3:38 AM

Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
I don't think spoon-feeding the viewer is necessary. As the show is made to engage your thoughts.
A 5 year old child can ask questions. It takes actual thought to develop insight into those questions. I do not expect the show to actually answer these questions, since they cannot be easily answered, but the characters must be shown to understand the questions being asked and develop their own opinions. Character development is not spoon-feeding the viewer; if anything, the narratives in the last episode spoon-feed philosophical posturing to the viewer that, for some reason, they could not find the creativity to include in the actual events of the story. A show that doesn't have anything to say is, in my opinion, a show that fails to engage the viewer's thoughts.

AirStyles said:
Yakomaru's actions through out the show has been questioned by both Saki and Satoru (both provide contrasting opinion in most cases).
Satoru promptly rejects anything Yakomaru said, and sharply rebukes Saki for even having second thoughts about Yakomaru or the fiend. Saki does not lend Yakomaru any thought whatsoever, except for the idea that he might be a human descendent, as if the creators of the show were commenting on the value of being human above all else, which is just a shallow waste of potential insights they could have developed.

AirStyles said:
+ Both Yakomaru and Kiroumaru's action have been extremely logical on a revolution standpoint.

We do not need a back story where Yakomaru is traumatize by the truth by capturing a flase minoshiro and suddenly decide on coup' d'etat.
I have no idea what you're trying to suggest.

AirStyles said:
We're looking at conditioned human beings 1000 years in the future, with 400+ years(over 12 generations) of societal/genetic/trait conditioning.
What we're looking at is the development, turn, and conclusion of the show, and if nothing can be said by the end of the show that can't be said in the beginning, then the show is worthless. When I say "nothing", I don't mean event-specific "things" either, but insights into the human condition that defines character development, and show that the characters have indeed progressed throughout the show. I gave the show a 6/10 for what it has to say, but a show that lacks a "voice" can never be great. It had the potential to be 8-9/10, which is why I am disappointed.

AirStyles said:
I thought that it's common knowledge nowadays that scientist often have the weirdest sense of humor.
...seriously?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 3:43 AM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
You keep saying "by the end of the series", but the main events in the series end at the beginning of the last episode.
I think many people will disagree with you that the main events end at the beginning of the last episode.

katsucats said:
I am not looking for an answer to the future, I am looking for how the characters came up with an answer to their future. Developing character insight into their world is not the same as spoon-feeding the audience; in fact, the expositions in the last episode are exactly what you are criticizing. Precisely because there are no easy answers, it must be known that the characters themselves understand this.
"how the characters came up with an answer" is still an answer you are seeking. You want to see the characters to go through the options, struggle for a resolution, and give an answer to the future. To this I'd say: this is an exercise also left to us, and we should not have more privilege than the characters in the novel of knowing how others came up with their answer.

And I disagree with your interpretation that because there are no easy answers it must mean that the characters understand it. Lack of easy answer is an invitation for us to think and it does not matter how much the characters in the novel/anime understand it (although I would say in this work, the main characters understand their challenge).

katsucats said:
It's a farce because "Hetero" was never used this way in this context. It's an attempt to sound intelligent without being intelligent.
If they had used homo the wrong way as you first said (homo does not mean human in Latin and homo is used to describe human only in terms of sexuality), then perhaps it is a farce; otherwise I see it as what Airstyles said, weird sense of humor from scientists it is. And I think the scientist who named it is now laughing in his grave as finally someone cracks the hint he put it.

Mar 25, 2013 4:03 AM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
katsucats said:
If they had used homo the wrong way as you first said (homo does not mean human in Latin and homo is used to describe human only in terms of sexuality), then perhaps it is a farce; otherwise I see it as what Airstyles said, weird sense of humor from scientists it is. And I think the scientist who named it is now laughing in his grave as finally someone cracks the hint he put it.
Homo does mean "human" in Latin, but it means "same" in Greek (as opposed to Hetero, which is the Greek root for "opposing"). The show misidentifies the Latin Homo for the Greek Homo.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 4:07 AM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
Homo does mean "human" in Latin, but it means "same" in Greek (as opposed to Hetero, which is the Greek root for "opposing"). The show misidentifies the Latin Homo for the Greek Homo.
I don't think it is a case of misidentification. If it is, then I won't call it "weird sense of humor by the scientist". I see it more like a puzzle implanted by scientist to bury the origin of queerats in its academic name. Of course they could not make it too explicit, so lateral thinking applied: Homo Latin -> Homo Greek -> Hetero Greek.

Mar 25, 2013 5:42 AM

Apr 2012
katsucats said:
It is regrettable that they couldn't somehow develop Yakomaru,

His name is Squealer. That's development, right there.

give a more compelling motive to the Queerats,

They have a bunch of mass-murderers wiping out their cities whenever the murderers want! What more motive do you need? If some group of people wiped out cities in whatever country you lived in whenever they wanted, would you think your motives to do something about it not sufficiently compelling?

The time spent on finding and misusing an ancient weapon could have been used more wisely to come up with a more elaborate plan against the fiend, and make the showdown more epic.

It sounds like you believe the messiah to be both a fiend, and some sort of "bad guy", if you want an epic showdown. Both of which are false. Doesn't sound like you followed the themes of the story.

The ending felt as if nothing has changed, that none of the villagers seem to have learned anything from the events, despite the narrative discussing the possibility of a better future.

Sounds like you just want something different. A fairytale, ending in consolation. Shinsekai yori is simply a different sort of story, it's one which pays strong attention to realism, which acknowledges that rebellions against mass-murdering powerful overclasses will sometimes fail.

Yakomaru was quite unambiguously the bad guy until postmortem, no time was spent considering the value of his actions.

I don't know about you, but when intelligent slaves revolt against their mass-murdering masters, I automatically think of the slaves as the good guys, I don't need to learn that sentient creatures are "human" to think they have the right to life and freedom or anything. The show starts painting Squealer as the good guy the first time we see queerats automatically bowing and scraping in episode two-ish. Providing you're not judging by appearances.
Mar 25, 2013 6:07 AM

Oct 2012
logopolis said:
katsucats said:
It is regrettable that they couldn't somehow develop Yakomaru,
His name is Squealer. That's development, right there.
Brilliant. :/

logopolis said:
They have a bunch of mass-murderers wiping out their cities whenever the murderers want! What more motive do you need? If some group of people wiped out cities in whatever country you lived in whenever they wanted, would you think your motives to do something about it not sufficiently compelling?
And yet they are the antagonists, and the protagonists of the show were never shown to give credence nor wrestle with the Queerat perspective.

logopolis said:
The time spent on finding and misusing an ancient weapon could have been used more wisely to come up with a more elaborate plan against the fiend, and make the showdown more epic.
It sounds like you believe the messiah to be both a fiend, and some sort of "bad guy", if you want an epic showdown. Both of which are false. Doesn't sound like you followed the themes of the story.
The "Messiah" along with Squealer are the primary antagonists, the "bad guys" in our story and the source of conflict regardless of whether you identify with their plight. The entire second half of the show was devoted to this development. It sounds like you need to learn some basics in story telling.

logopolis said:
The ending felt as if nothing has changed, that none of the villagers seem to have learned anything from the events, despite the narrative discussing the possibility of a better future.
Sounds like you just want something different. A fairytale, ending in consolation. Shinsekai yori is simply a different sort of story, it's one which pays strong attention to realism, which acknowledges that rebellions against mass-murdering powerful overclasses will sometimes fail.
Yes, I wanted something different: More incorporation of its themes into the story; more character development; proof that the characters understand the events that revolve around them. And if you think a show that has something to say about the subjects it presents comprises a fairytale ending, then you're just fucking braindead.

logopolis said:
Yakomaru was quite unambiguously the bad guy until postmortem, no time was spent considering the value of his actions.
I don't know about you, but when intelligent slaves revolt against their mass-murdering masters, I automatically think of the slaves as the good guys, I don't need to learn that sentient creatures are "human" to think they have the right to life and freedom or anything. The show starts painting Squealer as the good guy the first time we see queerats automatically bowing and scraping in episode two-ish. Providing you're not judging by appearances.
But then in the last episode Saki divulged that Squealer was acting at Kiroumaru's behest all along; his deception began from the time he was introduced. Despite developing Yakomaru's beliefs, they are dismissed and mocked by every human in the show, demonstrating utter one-sidedness and lack of character insight into their surroundings.

If you think Squealer was a "good guy", then you have not actually watched the show, but instead watched your projection of events in the show while ignoring its entire narrative. I think it is you that haven't followed the themes of the story.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 6:18 AM

Apr 2012
@katsucats: You seem to think that Shinsekai yori works to the rules of most stories. Look around you. You'll find hundreds of stories which make armed rebels into bad guys. None of them will end up with the rebel leader being stripped naked, laughed at when he claims humanity and put to eternal torture. Shinsekai yori is deliberately subversive.

You may know the basic rules of storytelling, but advanced storytelling is about knowing how to break those rules.
Mar 25, 2013 6:36 AM

Oct 2012
logopolis said:
@katsucats: You seem to think that Shinsekai yori works to the rules of most stories. Look around you. You'll find hundreds of stories which make armed rebels into bad guys. None of them will end up with the rebel leader being stripped naked, laughed at when he claims humanity and put to eternal torture. Shinsekai yori is deliberately subversive.

You may know the basic rules of storytelling, but advanced storytelling is about knowing how to break those rules.
Everyone loves to point out the anime they're defending as the magical exception, but there is nothing about Shinsekai Yori that makes it conceptually unique to other anime. The protagonist is still *sigh* Saki and Satoru, and Maria and Mamoru are still remembered with fond familiarity. Yakomaru is still the villain that killed Maria and Mamoru while raising their offspring to kill her own brethren. You could watch Shinsekai Yori with a radical interpretation, but it will only stretch so far.

Squealer is introduced in episode 5, and doesn't reappear until episode 15 -- he is absent for half the episodes in the series.

If it was Shinsekai Yori's intent to be deliberately subversive as you suggest, with Squealer becoming the main protagonist and Saki becoming an antagonist, then I would consider it a dismal failure in that respect. 2/10
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 6:36 AM

Jun 2009
katsucats said:

logopolis said:
And yet they are the antagonists, and the protagonists of the show were never shown to give credence nor wrestle with the Queerat perspective.

Saki?

katsucats said:
logopolis said:
The "Messiah" along with Squealer are the primary antagonists, the "bad guys" in our story and the source of conflict regardless of whether you identify with their plight. The entire second half of the show was devoted to this development. It sounds like you need to learn some basics in story telling.

Sorry, but I never knew a story about a war perspective have a good guy/bad guy.

We're witnessing Yakomaru's attempt at coup d'etat through the perspective of Saki.

This is like... If we're watching Romance of Three Kingdom at the perspective of Shu Kingdom, then obviously, Shu seem like the good guy.

katsucats said:
Yes, I wanted something different: More incorporation of its themes into the story; more character development; proof that the characters understand the events that revolve around them. And if you think a show that has something to say about the subjects it presents comprises a fairytale ending, then you're just fucking braindead.

So again, you're complaining about a story because... You hope it turn out differently. Deja Vu.

katsucats said:
But then in the last episode Saki divulged that Squealer was acting at Kiroumaru's behest all along; his deception began from the time he was introduced. Despite developing Yakomaru's beliefs, they are dismissed and mocked by every human in the show, demonstrating utter one-sidedness and lack of character insight into their surroundings.

If you think Squealer was a "good guy", then you have not actually watched the show, but instead watched your projection of events in the show while ignoring its entire narrative. I think it is you that haven't followed the themes of the story.

You're the one who's confusing.
The narratives is done against District 66 in most part of the story
Group 1 have "fought' District 66 a heck of a lot more times compared to Yakomaru.

Not all stories are not about who's right and wrong.

katsucats said:
The protagonist is still *sigh* Saki and Satoru, and Maria and Mamoru are still remembered with fond familiarity. Yakomaru is still the villain that killed Maria and Mamoru while raising their offspring to kill her own brethren. You could watch Shinsekai Yori with a radical interpretation, but it will only stretch so far.

... Now this is just ridiculous...

Do you not get it?

There is no such thing as a "good guy" in war.
Both sides fight for their beliefs and what they hold dear.

Yakomaru is the bad guy that killed Maria and Mamoru?
If you ask me, I'd argue that it's district 66's twisted society.

Yakomaru is not what killed Maria and Mamoru. It's district 66.
They forced Maria and Mamoru out. Yakomaru merely take advantage that.

Simple.

EDIT:

Katsucat...

Just go and watch a hero flick, where all bad guy aim for world domination and all good guy fight for freedom of speech. Especially those with Heroes trying to tell the bad guy "I know your perspective... But you're not doing it right"

Maybe Batman or something.

Cuz Shinsekai Yori is not that kind of show. It's a show, not meant to tell a story about good versus evil, but to get the viewer thinking, an entertainment for those who wants more out of their story than "Justice prevail and they live happily ever after"

AirStylesMar 25, 2013 6:46 AM
Mar 25, 2013 6:46 AM

Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
Sorry, but I never knew a story about a war perspective have a good guy/bad guy.

We're witnessing Yakomaru's attempt at coup d'etat through the perspective of Saki.
Right. That's what makes a protagonist. Look up its definition.

AirStyles said:
So again, you're complaining about a story because... You hope it turn out differently. Deja Vu.
If by differently, you meant more depth, then yes. But with that kind of semantic stretching you could use that as a catch-all response to all criticism for why every anime should be perfect.

AirStyles said:
Group 1 have "fought' District 66 a heck of a lot more times compared to Yakomaru.

The inclusion of the District 66 school board as a secondary antagonist does not change the fact that our Group 1 are protagonists, and Yakomaru is an antagonist. The protagonist/antagonist dichotomy is not the same thing as a good/bad guy dichotomy.

You don't have to intellectually self-destruct in a spiral into absurdity just to defend anime that you like. You know, you could take a different approach that doesn't require contradicting blatant fact. Trust me, it's not worth it.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 6:50 AM

Jun 2009
katsucats said:
AirStyles said:

Right. That's what makes a protagonist. Look up its definition.

Sure.

Protagonist.
Noun
1. The leading character or a major character in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.
2. The main figure or one of the most prominent figures in a real situation.

Does not necessarily means "GOODY GOOD, TO SUPPORT"

katsucats said:

AirStyles said:
If by differently, you meant more depth, then yes. But with that kind of semantic stretching you could use that as a catch-all response to all criticism for why every anime should be perfect.

I laughed.

katsucats said:

AirStyles said:

The inclusion of the District 66 school board as a secondary antagonist does not change the fact that our Group 1 are protagonists, and Yakomaru is an antagonist. The protagonist/antagonist dichotomy is not the same thing as a good/bad guy dichotomy.

You don't have to intellectually self-destruct in a spiral into absurdity just to defend anime that you like. You know, you could take a different approach that doesn't require contradicting blatant fact. Trust me, it's not worth it.

Antagonist
Noun
1. A person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something; an adversary.
2. A substance that interferes with or inhibits the physiological action of another.
Synonyms
opponent - adversary - enemy - rival - foe - competitor

Does not necessarily means "BADDY BAD, TO HATE"
Mar 25, 2013 6:55 AM

Oct 2012
Do you understand now, or are you going to keep playing the troll with a comprehension level of a third grader? Stop laughing and educate yourself. At the very least, stop responding to me. I prefer intelligent conversation, not fanboy spasms.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 7:05 AM

Jun 2009
katsucats said:
Do you understand now, or are you going to keep playing the troll with a comprehension level of a third grader? Stop laughing and educate yourself. At the very least, stop responding to me. I prefer intelligent conversation, not fanboy spasms.

.... I really do not want to bring this up... but...

You, are literally an idiot.
You haven't change one bit since the first time I saw you back in SAO. Where you claim "I could've done so much better if I'm Kirito because I play so much MMORPG and I'm a lot more logical than him"

Yes, I still remember that, because that's the single dumbest thing I ever read on this forum.

You do not understand story. You do not understand narratives.
You only want to see what you want to see, and anything that's different = bad.
You cannot accept things that are done differently to what you wish, because if it's not done to your liking, it's bad.

You are... In all honesty, much better off just watch a show where there's a good guy, a bad guy, and the good guy will go
"I understand why you did this, but... What you do is not right"

Those are the type of show for you.

Shinsekai Yori, is not that kind of show.

If SSY end with human realizing and actually reform and said "We're all wrong in the past, lets change"... Then the story will literally lose all of what it's built up to be.
The message that the aurthor try to get across in his story will be broken

Lets use a simple example.
What's the message of Tortoise and the Hare?
Would the message be the same if the Tortoise walks off and build a jetpack and win?

Too hard? How about Three Little Pigs
What is the message?
Sure, it'll be much better if the 3rd pig build a catapult and use the bricks of his house wall as ammunition to kill and avenge his brothers... But, Is the message still the same?

NO!
AirStylesMar 25, 2013 10:36 AM
Mar 25, 2013 7:43 AM
Feb 2012
I finished this series yesterday and was wondering since then how to score it. After some thought I figured that 9/10 would reflect the show fairly nicely.
I am aware that many people see a masterpiece in this anime and I'd normally be inclined to agree but for me it just barely doesn't reach that score. SSY was a great anime in many different aspects, and proof that A-1 can indeed deliver quality, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a 'deeper' show but it's not a masterpiece in my eyes. Which is somewhat ironical given the shows I've rated with a 10/10 score before but what can you do?
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 25, 2013 8:14 AM

Sep 2010
Never thought there will be a happy ending for this.... But still an good ending for an awesome anime....

Final episode - 4.5/5
Series - 8/10
Mar 25, 2013 9:43 AM

Jun 2011
The best anime this season, in my opinion. The ending tied everything together nicely, 9 out of 10.

Still, it doesn't strike me as a masterpiece. It's great, but could have been even greater.
Mar 25, 2013 10:21 AM
May 2012
Everything about this series was great. Every episode did not bore me. The art was nicely done, the plot was solid until the end, intense action and powerful drama. One of the best long series i have seen since Steins;Gate.

9/10.
Mar 25, 2013 10:57 AM
Jan 2013
Amazing. This series is emotional , interesting and more, I love this anime......... :D
Mar 25, 2013 12:32 PM

Jan 2011
Great series, was amazing up to the end and one of the only series I was looking forward to every week.

Felt really sad for Yakomaru's fate though. If you ask me, I think he had the bigger just cause, especially when it was revealed that the queerats were basically humans deliberately malformed into what they are now by most likely the ones with cantus who've been killing them mercilessly since then! :S

Maybe it's just me, because I don't find any of the "human" characters that sympathetic now.
Mar 25, 2013 12:37 PM

Sep 2012
Fell behind the series, but finally marathoned it. And it's safe to say that this is a masterpiece for me. From their childhood to their adulthood, what we the audience saw was quite the development. I really liked this series, just like everyone else I'd love to read the award winning novel as well. I could go on and on, but I'll just leave this at 10/10.
Mar 25, 2013 3:30 PM

Nov 2012
Loved this episode sadely we don't know what happend to maria and the other, does somebody know if the novel or the manga ends like this too? When i first watched this series i never thought it will end like this, but i'm happy i watch it.
Mar 25, 2013 3:38 PM

Jul 2012
Vivokas said:
Loved this episode sadely we don't know what happend to maria and the other, does somebody know if the novel or the manga ends like this too? When i first watched this series i never thought it will end like this, but i'm happy i watch it.

The novel ends in the same way, people have told me. And the manga...it's not really relevant to the novel at all (or so I've heard)
I guess we can only assume what happened to Mamoru and Maria.

1. Queerats killed them and stole their child.
2. Queerats stole their child but let them escape.
3. ???
MayukaMar 25, 2013 3:43 PM
Mar 25, 2013 3:40 PM

May 2011
Kiroumaru was awesome, what a way to go down amazing sense of loyalty. While I did like him I also have to acknowledge much of what Squealer said as being very true. Some people will continue trying to bring down what is different but hopefully there can be a future where people will learn to live another way. But oh man, I completely forgot about those words long ago about people who couldn't use Cantus. A satisfying wrap-up for this series,
Mar 25, 2013 5:13 PM

Feb 2013
Now that was an awesome, last episode. I remember not really liking the series in the beginning, everything was just so unclear, but I decided to keep up with it. Around episode 12 however, for me, everything suddenly got interesting. 8/10 overall, great series!

Mar 25, 2013 6:19 PM
May 2011
mayukachan said:
Vivokas said:

The novel ends in the same way, people have told me. And the manga...it's not really relevant to the novel at all (or so I've heard)

3. ???

Did you think of the possibility that they forced the two to breed? Consider the apparent age of the child.
Mar 25, 2013 6:29 PM

Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
You do not understand story. You do not understand narratives.
You only want to see what you want to see, and anything that's different = bad.
You cannot accept things that are done differently to what you wish, because if it's not done to your liking, it's bad.
Basically what it comes down to is Shinsekai Yori is not deep enough for me, but it's too deep for you. You must blame yourself for not having all 10's on your list, if that's the level of logic you're going to employ.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 7:02 PM

Sep 2008
^
This lengthy and pointless discussion between the two of you made me understand why is it that you can have 3485 posts while joining MAL only last year.

My biggest gripe with Shinsekai Yori in the end is still the questionable plot development. While they do try to explain the logic behind the plot progression many things are still dubious and requires suspension of disbelief. The hallmark of a good story, and for me, the foundation of one, is being able to clear most doubts/fill most plotholes, by the conclusion. This anime adaptation has not been able to do that(not sure about the actual novel). Most of this comes from the hand-wavy/slipshod explanation of Cantus, Death Feedback, Fiends, and Karma Demons. One example is how Kaburagi Shisei's death happened in such a way to make me feel like he's nothing more than a badly designed plot device whose sole existence is to emphasize the desperation of Kamisu 66 District when under attack by a Fiend. The anime also never bothered to explain how the queer-rats were able to make concrete buildings, or how they just "magicked" those grenade-like dolphin-creatures.

On the other hand, Shinsekai Yori was good enough to keep me glued to the screen for the most part and brings out some really good questions.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Mar 25, 2013 7:31 PM

Nov 2012
mayukachan said:

Wait, there's a novel AND a manga? So there's actually a book with just words, titled Shinsekai Yori and then there's the manga (which apparently doesn't follow the novel or the anime at all)?
Mar 25, 2013 7:43 PM

Jul 2012
Kiniest said:
mayukachan said:
Vivokas said:

3. ???

Did you think of the possibility that they forced the two to breed? Consider the apparent age of the child.

It's possible yeah. But then...Maria and Mamoru are pretty strong with Cantus too so they should have been able to defend myself. :S Hmmmmmm...

Spirai said:
mayukachan said:

Wait, there's a novel AND a manga? So there's actually a book with just words, titled Shinsekai Yori and then there's the manga (which apparently doesn't follow the novel or the anime at all)?

Yeah. The novel is the original source material written by the awesome author. Anime is an adaption of it.

I think the manga doesn't quite follow it at all, or so I've heard. I know for sure there's a lot of hentai in the manga, whereas the anime and novel don't have really explicit things.
Mar 25, 2013 7:57 PM

Oct 2012
SHINSEKAI YORI IS BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING.
I feel kind of sad that the akki died. Like Saki said, she didn't do anything wrong... she didn't know any better. However, there was no other way u.u

Kiroumaru sacrificed himself.... he was great.

I used yo hate Yakomaru, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Even though he did awful things, he was partially right. Plus, human beings were not entirely innocent.
It was awful the way he was treated at the end. Thank goodness Saki ended his
suffering.

I was definitely not expected the sudden revelation. The bakenezumi were human beings mutated all along. No wonder they were fed up.

It was really emotional when all of the characters appeared at the last scene.. Their innocent and cheerful smiles...and the music... u.u

10/10
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Mar 25, 2013 8:47 PM

Dec 2006
I'm glad I didn't get discouraged to finish this anime after some of my friends bad mouthed it after episode 8 :P.

For me it was AWESOME,it maintained me entertained enough and gave me so many different feelings and emotions. Though it got some plot holes and the animation was inconsistent in some episodes, it was an incredible anime for me :)

I need to read those novels... I'll wait for the translations or learn to read kanji, I'll do whichever comes first *^*

This anime is certainly a 9/10 but I'll give it a 10/10 because I love Satoru and the music was awesome, especially Wareta Ringo the first ending *-*

"The power of imagination is what changes everything"~
Mar 25, 2013 8:50 PM

Oct 2012
I wished everybody could see how beautiful this series is. I feel sad for all the people that dropped the series after episode 7 or 8 where they had the homo scene. :(
They missed out on such a beautiful story.

I think Shinsekai Yori really makes all of us here think about how cruel we humans can be. This is for sure one of my favorites

Pages (27) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2012

299 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

517 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 3:31 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

364 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2012

281 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 12:48 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 5, 2012

322 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 12:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.