Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Mar 23, 2013 7:24 PM

Sep 2012
zulli2 said:
I wonder if the villagers were killing kids without Cantus because they were afraid that death feedback wouldn’t be activated or just that non Cantus users could some day dominate over the „gods”?
I explained it before, Saki's sister, the girl who used to Saki's classmate, the boy who cheated in the match were killed because they were not deemed they will function well in the society when they grew up (people with weak mentality or cheating mindset can create all kinds of troubles or burden for the society; people who cannot use cantus properly can even cause dangerous cantus interference with people), and it has little to do with the death feedback. Death feedback was tested right after you start to display cantus, and this was what Saki went through in the temple when the priest tested her feedback.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 23, 2013 7:26 PM

Jun 2007
Wow that was a bunch of bullshit about the death feedback. It's like the writers had an idea and then changed it at the end. Cantus users where effected by killing humans AND the Queenrats throughout the WHOLE series. A good example of this is when the priest runs into Saki's group on their trip to the woods and has to protect them from the Queenrat army but ultimately starts feeling the effects of death feedback because he killed so many. They claim it's because the rats look human but if that was the case then the 'fiend' should have been feeling the effects when she killed half the human town. We also have the other battle where Satoru is killing all those rats when Saki lost her cantus powers. He starts to feel the effects and starts to become exhausted and stressed. Towards the end of the series, all of a sudden, humans are no longer effected when killing rats? I feel like the writers realized the mistake they made earlier on and had to correct it in order to make the whole battle not seem one sided with the rats raping everyone. I really wish they had explained the whole death feedback thing more at the start. Now It just feels like death feedback is only a punishment for humans that feel remorse for killing something they believing to be their own kind and if that's truly the case then we'd have a sub classification for a human that loses that ability to feel any kind of connection with humanity. Is that what a fiend is?

Putting that aside I really liked the series. The whole sex thing at the beginning was weird but the way the story was really well done.
Mar 23, 2013 7:26 PM

Sep 2012
Oh shit. It ended as a happy end, i thought everyone would die, the way to kill the child was very unexpected, for me at least.
I am really impressed by this anime. I never thought about watching as the first episodes were boring as fuck. But i watched this now and this has a solid spot at my favorites, an awesome ride Shinsekai Yori is.

10/10.
Alcyone. Electra. Maia. Taygeta. Calaeno. Asterope. Merope.
By the blessing of the Seven Sisters,
I descend from four hundred lightyears in space!
I AM MR PLEIADES!!
Mar 23, 2013 7:30 PM

Sep 2012
llefvoid said:
Sorry guys, but I can't quite see where's this happy or even bittersweet ending people talk about.
Your ranting is as valid reaction and it is the greatness of the novel. It challenges you and you may end up taking side this way or another. As much as I disagree (some of them strongly) with some of your points, unlike last time I think here the points are more subjective preference and personal choices. So I respect your views, even though I think your tone is way too harsh towards cantus human and Saki (as you seem to want only a radical and revolutionary leader for the cantus human but clearly this is not what Tomiko looked for). But to each his own I guess.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 23, 2013 7:31 PM

Dec 2012
makouz789 said:
Oh shit. It ended as a happy end, i thought everyone would die, the way to kill the child was very unexpected, for me at least.
I am really impressed by this anime. I never thought about watching as the first episodes were boring as fuck. But i watched this now and this has a solid spot at my favorites, an awesome ride Shinsekai Yori is.

10/10.
Happy end? a hero died.

R.I.P. Squealer
Mar 23, 2013 7:32 PM

Nov 2009
Wow, that was an absolutely amazing ending.

What "Adolescence" do you have?
Do you remember "Childhood"?
The irreplaceable one existed there.

Mar 23, 2013 7:34 PM

Jul 2010
VioLink said:
Most underrated anime this year. Great freaking story I loved the suspenseful parts.

I second that.
Mar 23, 2013 7:36 PM

Sep 2012
Spirai said:
I have two questions. But first, some background info to set them up: Satoru in this last episode explained how queerats are actually related to humans by telling Saki he looked at their number of chromosomes and DNA. Satoru couldn't just do this during his 'free time' without having a lab and permission from the council. That means he worked there (I forgot the name of it) and he had been analyzing this stuff from the start. So....

1.) That means Satoru could have known the bones were really Mamoru and Maria's. Why didnt' he tell Saki?

2.) When Satoru already knew about the queerats being like humans before the battle with the 'fiend', why didn't he receive death feedback from killing all those queerats? (And also for attempting to kill the 'fiend' which was clearly human?)
1) Don't forget we are talking about two different times here. The DNA test was done years before the war and the chromosome test Satoru did was performed after the war. Responsibility changed after the war and Satoru may have got more authority and access clearance after the war with so many people dead. It does not seem that Satoru was involved in the DNA testing for the bones.

2) Death feedback is not whether the queerats are human like in their DNA but whether your mind perceives the victim you killed is one of your kind. Clearly for Satoru and other human, queerats do not register as one of their (human) kind.

Not sure what you mean by your other question "And also for attempting to kill the 'fiend' which was clearly human?" though.
symbvMar 23, 2013 7:59 PM

Mar 23, 2013 7:44 PM

Sep 2012
Nequam said:
Now that I think about it, there's still one big plothole.

If scientists (with PK genes) had the ability to implement genes that inhibit one's gland upon the killing of one's imprinted species and the ability to morph humans into moles, why didn't they just remove PK genes from all subsequent generations?
I won't call it a plothole because we never know how complicated and difficult to deal with the PK gene (if PK can really be pinned down to some gene) versus dealing with the inhibition and death feedback genes. I think we need to accept that it is the world setting and how history had come into being. Speculating on whether certain research in life science in far future is as easy as another research is not really going to get anywhere.

Mar 23, 2013 7:46 PM

Sep 2012
Vyudali said:
athetosis said:
wait so what happened to the fiend?
It died due to death feedback. I'm assuming they just buried the corpse somewhere.
You can see Saki visiting the kid's grave after they were shown to be back in the village. So at least she was buried inside the village.
symbvMar 24, 2013 1:10 AM

Mar 23, 2013 7:52 PM

Sep 2012
Nequam said:
Those who are weak-hearted are correlated with producing children that are Karma Demons.
Where does this come from?

Mar 23, 2013 7:54 PM

Sep 2012
Nequam said:
But I don't recall the kids ever not having Cantus, just that they were filtered. (Saki being the last one from the academy)
Remember Saki vaguely recalled that there were actually other kids from the elementary school who did not make it to the secondary school? Those were kids who did not display Cantus and the implication is that they were disposed of.

Mar 23, 2013 7:58 PM

Sep 2012
Nequam said:
PK has to be reduced down to X genes.
Mamoru/Maria are PK users.
Their child turn out to be PK users.
Every child in this village of PK users are PK users
The ones who are unstable are filtered out.
So if they can remove a set of genes such as from moles, put them into humans and make them genetically viable (that is capable of reproducing..not sure why).
And that they could make genes that are even complicated enough to release certain horomones, interact in a certain way in the human body and cause death purely based on conditional stimulus...
It would be hard to see how they could not remove such PK genes though. This is all from the standpoint of DNA manipulation/RNA manipulation, and the mechanisms needed to have the body respond to X stimulus with Y condition which is extremely complicated and hard to do. Mastering that means you can find out any set of genes that are responsible for a certain condition such as PK inheritability...
Everything you said is based on the theory that PK is simply a gene matter and nothing more. If it were that simple, I am sure the scientists would have got down to it like you said, but as I said, we don't know enough about the science in that far future world, we are only using our understanding of our current science to speculate about the science in far future.

Nequam said:

Anyhow, I still agree I would take it to face value in terms of accepting the world as it is as a hypothetical one.
It is a better approach I'd say. I really can't say this is a plothole because it is not like it is flawed within the logic inside this far future hypothetical world.
symbvMar 24, 2013 1:10 AM

Mar 23, 2013 7:59 PM
Jun 2012
symbv said:
llefvoid said:
Sorry guys, but I can't quite see where's this happy or even bittersweet ending people talk about.
Your ranting is as valid reaction and it is the greatness of the novel. It challenges you and you may end up taking side this way or another. As much as I disagree (some of them strongly) with some of your points, unlike last time I think here the points are more subjective preference and personal choices. So I respect your views, even though I think your tone is way too harsh towards cantus human and Saki (as you seem to want only a radical and revolutionary leader for the cantus human but clearly this is not what Tomiko looked for). But to each his own I guess.

Well, I suppose the problem is that I don't see where the reverence for dear Tomiko-sama comes from. She was around for over 250 years, overseeing a society that can do no better than kill countless of its children in order to survive, all the while enslaving other species just because they can. To me that is a failed ruling time and, as such, to me it does not seem that following with her wish for a continuity successor is not good. It could have been that she recognised her failure and opted to leave her position to someone capable of delivering change, but she didn't. She absolutely the other way around and I think that not only she chose someone who would maintain the status quo, she chose someone who was _unable_ to change the status quo. She didn't choose a strong leader that would make the village thrive, she chose a weak one that would leave the rules untouched.

Not that we had any character worthy of filling that role in the series, I dislike the way that a return to "normal" is presented as something to be grateful for.

(Or at least that's how I understand it.)
Mar 23, 2013 8:00 PM
Aug 2008
symbv said:
Nequam said:
But I don't recall the kids ever not having Cantus, just that they were filtered. (Saki being the last one from the academy)
Remember Saki vaguely recalled that there were actually other kids from the elementary school who did not make it to the secondary school? Those were kids who did not display Cantus and the implication is that they were disposed of.

Then there wouldn't be any reason to remove said kids, since they all inherited death feedback in this subgroup population. The only explanation I came up with, is that they're outcasts. But that isn't really a strong one.

Mar 23, 2013 8:03 PM

Nov 2011
I saw that trick coming. That "fiend" can't kill a queerat.

Its good that it end with a happy ending.

Seeing how human treat Yakomaru, I can't help but sympathizing with him. The queerat was human turned into a beast because Cantus user are afraid since the death feedback don't apply to them.

In the the Queerat isn't really the bad guy.

Mar 23, 2013 8:07 PM

Sep 2012
llefvoid said:
Well, I suppose the problem is that I don't see where the reverence for dear Tomiko-sama comes from. She was around for over 250 years, overseeing a society that can do no better than kill countless of its children in order to survive, all the while enslaving other species just because they can. To me that is a failed ruling time and, as such, to me it does not seem that following with her wish for a continuity successor is not good. It could have been that she recognised her failure and opted to leave her position to someone capable of delivering change, but she didn't. She absolutely the other way around and I think that not only she chose someone who would maintain the status quo, she chose someone who was _unable_ to change the status quo. She didn't choose a strong leader that would make the village thrive, she chose a weak one that would leave the rules untouched.
I understand your rage, and I would say you have good reason to feel it, either from the side of the queerats (human just acts like god) or from a present human point of view (no children should be killed). However, as I said before, the questions do not have easy answers and the decision from the cantus human point of view is about still how to keep their small community safe and peaceful (to them of course). As for Tomiko's choice, I think it depends on how radical you want to go, and I can see you really want radicalism. Whether radicalism or more conservative approach is more likely to create peace and prosperity for the human village is really up for debate. Personally I think Saki can be a good leader that can make the village thrive, or at least safe, and probably she will adopt softer approach towards the queerats (though mistrust between queerat and human is likely to run deeper than ever compared to the pre-war time), but on the other hand I also see that she can still grow more on her leadership skill and problem-solving skills.
symbvMar 24, 2013 1:14 AM

Mar 23, 2013 8:11 PM

Aug 2011
KiBROumaru :(
Dat super bro sacrifice q__q
Squealer's motives are finally explained, that eternal punishment is seriously an eternal punishment, but he does get what he deserved.
Happy ending (?) with Satarou and Saki ending up, well there aren't really any other possible pairings at this point. Queerats being originally human really got me there.

9/10 that was a f*** amazing ride.
Mar 23, 2013 8:17 PM
Aug 2008
symbv said:
Nequam said:
Those who are weak-hearted are correlated with producing children that are Karma Demons.

Woops nevermind.

Kutegawa Izumi, altering humans on genetic level 12:55-13:05 episode 12; children have an greater chance of becoming karmonic demons.
Mar 23, 2013 8:47 PM

Aug 2011
dankickyou said:
symbv said:

4. Satoru and Saki decides that if the baby is a boy they will name him Shun, if it is a girl they will name her Maria.

Being Mamoru is suffering...

Trollolol
Mar 23, 2013 8:59 PM
Aug 2008

The logic of the world is not always perfect either. The idea that someone couldn't sacrifice themselves to kill someone is still ill-explained when. apparently,
inadvertently killing someone will still kill you (As illustrated in this episode). I don't follow the logic here, and it makes death feedback feel a little bit too convenient of a
tool at times.

Also another valid criticism.
Mar 23, 2013 9:06 PM
Jul 2012
So they still have to kill children who are potential fiends or karma demons. Nice...

I don't see a change for the "human" society. The only change that this anime brought at the end is the relationship between "humans" and the rat people.

Yet, Saki speaks of her child as an object of hope. What if that kid turns demonic? Still gotta cap him/her with a cat.
Mar 23, 2013 9:18 PM

Oct 2012
I wasn't looking forward to the ending too much but wow. The way the series wrapped itself up was amazing. It's just fantastic how an epilogue can really make the series THAT much better.

I was left pondering and feeling a whirl of emotions.

I enjoyed this journey very much. Though it probably didn't include everything in the novel, I can imagine it captured the essence really well. The ending just honestly increased my overall enjoyment of the series. It left more of an impression on me than the ending of Psycho Pass (and I really like Psycho Pass) or the mediocre rushed ending of Robotics;Notes. I wish more anime was more unique like this one.

The ending probably changed the rating from 8/10 to 9/10 in my book. I'm a little confused about the gender of the fiend though...the subs wasn't consistent about it but I guess the fiend is female after all. Looking at how the fiend looks, it makes a lot more sense.
Mar 23, 2013 9:18 PM

Jan 2012
Enjoyed this anime, 10/10.
Whenever I hear the "Going Home" song, these feels just hit me right in the kokoro. uAu
nani kore
Mar 23, 2013 9:33 PM
Sep 2012
I really was a rollercoaster ride. I thought that it was a bit slow and boring in the beginning. Started to get a little interesting at episode 4 and 5, then threw up on the notorious episode 8. Thankfully, there weren't anymore of those in the rest of the show, but it became slow again for a few episodes.

It was towards the end that things really became interesting. I loved how they ended things in a satisfying way - not some ass-pull ending like R;N. I always suspected that plot twist in the end, but I didn't think that it was deliberate or that Squeeler knew. 7.5, but for MAL it's an 8.
Mar 23, 2013 9:40 PM

Sep 2012
Now just hold on for one second. Did anyone else notice that they were calling the "fiend" she in this episode when they always called it a he before? DAMN SUBTITLES why cant they be consistent for once in my life!!! I STILL say that the child was a boy, it was a boy in the novels and thats the end of it as far as I am concerned.

But more importantly... I WANTED HIM TO LIVE!!!!!! WHY!!!! I miss Maria and Mamoru and Tomiko and Shisei and Shun and also Kiroumaru. This was a sad ending :(

10/10 ;)
Mar 23, 2013 9:40 PM

Aug 2009
stanklem28 said:
So they still have to kill children who are potential fiends or karma demons. Nice...

I don't see a change for the "human" society. The only change that this anime brought at the end is the relationship between "humans" and the rat people.

Yet, Saki speaks of her child as an object of hope. What if that kid turns demonic? Still gotta cap him/her with a cat.

Agree, from start they uncover the truth of the society, in the end just wrap the problem between human and rat.
Mar 23, 2013 9:41 PM

Nov 2012
symbv said:
Spirai said:
I have two questions. But first, some background info to set them up: Satoru in this last episode explained how queerats are actually related to humans by telling Saki he looked at their number of chromosomes and DNA. Satoru couldn't just do this during his 'free time' without having a lab and permission from the council. That means he worked there (I forgot the name of it) and he had been analyzing this stuff from the start. So....

1.) That means Satoru could have known the bones were really Mamoru and Maria's. Why didnt' he tell Saki?

2.) When Satoru already knew about the queerats being like humans before the battle with the 'fiend', why didn't he receive death feedback from killing all those queerats? (And also for attempting to kill the 'fiend' which was clearly human?)
1) Don't forget we are talking about two different times here. The DNA test was done years before the war and the chromosome test Satoru did was performed after the war. Responsibility changed after the war and Satoru may have got more authority and access clearance after the war with so many people dead. It does not seem that Satoru was involved in the DNA testing for the bones.

2) Death feedback is not whether the queerats are human like in their DNA but whether your mind perceives the victim you killed is one of your kind. Clearly for Satoru and other human, queerats do not register as one of their (human) kind.

Not sure what you mean by your other question "And also for attempting to kill the 'fiend' which was clearly human?" though.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I don't know if I'm mixing up when the events happened or not, but Saki told Satoru she thought the 'fiend' was human before he tried to kill it with the pendant, right? So wouldn't that affect his death feedback? Or maybe I'm just really not getting the rules about death feedback...Someone seriously needs to write a whole section dedicated to it.
Mar 23, 2013 10:01 PM
Dec 2010
10/10 no matter how I see it. Beautifully done, epic ending, perfectly crafted series.
Mar 23, 2013 10:01 PM

Oct 2008
Mikuo_Chan said:
Now just hold on for one second. Did anyone else notice that they were calling the "fiend" she in this episode when they always called it a he before? DAMN SUBTITLES why cant they be consistent for once in my life!!! I STILL say that the child was a boy, it was a boy in the novels and thats the end of it as far as I am concerned.

UTW says in their site :

An inconsistency you will notice in this episode is that the Fiend is now referred to as a girl (the Fiend was male in the novels). We’ll of course fix the previous episodes accordingly for the batch.
Mar 23, 2013 10:09 PM

Jul 2012
10/10 And I regret nothing. One of the best shows for me this season, I'm so glad I keep watching it! I'll probably rewatch when have time. Love the ending.

Baby tainted cats! *-*

Mar 23, 2013 10:29 PM

Sep 2009
Nequam said:

The logic of the world is not always perfect either. The idea that someone couldn't sacrifice themselves to kill someone is still ill-explained when. apparently,
inadvertently killing someone will still kill you (As illustrated in this episode). I don't follow the logic here, and it makes death feedback feel a little bit too convenient of a
tool at times.

Not really, I'd say he took the whole Death Feedback system too literally as if it was a computer program. It's more of a mentally imprinted taboo during childhood and is also resonance throughout society that one should never harm another human being. The Fiend went on uncontested because he/she (whatever you prefer) literally did not kill "its own people". Satoru make this very clear when he states, "They aren't humans after all", which shows Death Feedback isn't a physical attribute but a mental one.

On the topic, probably best series of its season. Even set pacing, thrilling story progression, and just everything was eloquently done. This is exactly what good quality Anime is about.
LordLagannMar 23, 2013 10:34 PM
Mar 23, 2013 10:40 PM

Nov 2011
AirStyles said:
Zee530 said:
A show with an actual conclusion, do you know how long it's been since i've seen one.

What have you been watching lately?

Most shows make an open ended conclusion with the hopes of making a 2nd season or make a very stupid and nonsensical one.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 23, 2013 10:53 PM

Feb 2013
That was a great ending to a great series, this will be missed. Really enjoyed the conclusion, and was overall a great work and adaptation by A-1 Pictures.
Part of Refrain Subs for Little Busters!: Refrain
Recently Played/Read VNS (Most Recent to Oldest):
- Da Capo
- Grisaia no Kajitsu
- ef - a fairy tale of the two
- G-senjou no Maou
- Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo & Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo (Fan Disk)
- Rewrite
- Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a shooting star-
- Clannad
- Little Busters EX!
Mar 23, 2013 11:36 PM

Feb 2013
I still feel like the 'death feedback mechanism varied as the anime progressed but this was was definitely great finale to the show.

It was obvious that queerrats where humans without PK, but I like many others thought they were a result of the cantus leakage but in actuality they were .... Although I don't know why PK users used mole-rats, their actions do make sense, and I love how Satoru explained it...

This episode was definitely heartwarming but, in reality, nothing of great importance has changed. Saki/Satoru are the only people who realize the truth, kids will still be killed by the kitties, queerrats are still going to be oppressed...

LordLagann said:

On the topic, probably best series of its season. Even set pacing, thrilling story progression, and just everything was eloquently done. This is exactly what good quality Anime is about.

I had high hopes for this anime, I even thought it would be a masterpiece. Honestly what ruined it for me was the the inconsistencies of the death feedback and the rationale of the village committee. All and all I'll give this a 7.5/10 #2 behind Psycho Pass.
YangboMar 23, 2013 11:47 PM
Mar 23, 2013 11:44 PM

Apr 2011
Mikuo_Chan said:

UTW says in their site :
]An inconsistency you will notice in this episode is that the Fiend is now referred to as a girl (the Fiend was male in the novels). We’ll of course fix the previous episodes accordingly for the batch.
Good Service~

Best Hero Sacrificial Death Scene award goes to Kiroumaru! Charge out there with that turban, almost fool me thinking he is a human ninja. BELIEVE IT!

Yakomaru chat with Saki/Satoru seem truthful to me. Am I overestimating Yakomaru motivation for this war? Maybe, just maybe, his simple goal was protect the colony and live (reminds me of ants).

Now here are my questions:
1) What the moral of the series?

2) The biggest and disgusting twist was the queerat decedents of the former mutated non-powered humans?

Man, if I was those guys back in the day and was certainly transform into a giant looking retarded rat and going home to my lovely family of rats? OH man, now that's a bigger horror than this war...
Mar 23, 2013 11:54 PM

Sep 2012
Posse said:
Mikuo_Chan said:

UTW says in their site :

An inconsistency you will notice in this episode is that the Fiend is now referred to as a girl (the Fiend was male in the novels). We’ll of course fix the previous episodes accordingly for the batch.
What does that mean? Are they saying the fiend is a girl? because thats kind of stupid. Apparently they don't refer to it's gender at all in Japanese script. I don't understand why people feel the need to label it a girl when it was meant to be a boy A BOY!!!!
Mar 24, 2013 12:01 AM

Sep 2009
Yangbo said:
I had high hopes for this anime, I even thought it would be a masterpiece. Honestly what ruined it for me was the the inconsistencies of the death feedback and the rationale of the village committee. All and all I'll give this a 7.5/10 #2 behind Psycho Pass.

I disagree, I felt the introductory explanation of the Death Feedback was adequate, a bit below satisfactory understanding, but adequate. I feel very similar with the Village Committee as well, since the story is focus on the friends of Group One and the apocalyptic aftermath of the war between Cantus users and non Cantus users. I think if they had went more in depth with group psychology and terminology it would have slowed the series down quite a bit, and lets be honest, the pacing is as it is for a reason. The series really gives you an authentic feel that time is of the essence.
Mar 24, 2013 12:19 AM

Sep 2012
Nequam said:
symbv said:
Nequam said:
Then there wouldn't be any reason to remove said kids, since they all inherited death feedback in this subgroup population. The only explanation I came up with, is that they're outcasts. But that isn't really a strong one.
All kids inherite death feedback but no one is not sure if it would really work as well as it is supposed to. This is why every kid, once they start to display cantus, needs to go through the rite of passage in the temple and let the priests test how well the feedback works, before they are allowed to enter higher schools.
symbvMar 24, 2013 5:33 AM

Mar 24, 2013 12:26 AM

Sep 2012
Nequam said:
symbv said:
Nequam said:
Kutegawa Izumi, altering humans on genetic level 12:55-13:05 episode 12; children have an greater chance of becoming karmonic demons.
She only said the leak of cantus could even damage the victim down to DNA level, but she did not say by that it means children of a karma demon is more likely to become a karma demon. You could argue that the implication is there, but I do not see that this necessarily leads to such conclusion. It could also mean that with DNA being damaged the victim could undergo mutation of himself, and by extension could bear mutated children, but even a mutated child does not mean it is necessarily another karma demon.
symbvMar 24, 2013 5:31 AM

Mar 24, 2013 12:44 AM

Sep 2012
LordLagann said:
Nequam said:

tool at times.
Not really, I'd say he took the whole Death Feedback system too literally as if it was a computer program. It's more of a mentally imprinted taboo during childhood and is also resonance throughout society that one should never harm another human being. The Fiend went on uncontested because he/she (whatever you prefer) literally did not kill "its own people". Satoru make this very clear when he states, "They aren't humans after all", which shows Death Feedback isn't a physical attribute but a mental one.
I am inclined towards LordLagann's view here.

While I would not say the death feedback mechanism (DFB) works very consistently without variation I also do not think it is a matter of straightforward and clear-cut criteria to be triggered. The crux of the matter is the condition of "your mind perceiving you are harming one of your kind", and we know in the matter of mind and perception it is hard to define a thoroughly objective measurement to define what you perceive and how strong you perceive certain things. At the end, DFB is triggered whenever your mind starts to perceive you are harming one of your kind.

So in the case of the priest, he is already under the effect of DFB and is exhausted, so he did not have as much focus to such an extent that he even started to perceive a belch of smoke as human (illusion maybe) after he launched the attack against the horde of squeerats, so his DFB worsened. In the fiend-kid's case, she never perceived other human as one of her kind, so she could kill every human at will, including Kiromaru in disguise behaving like a human. But when she saw the dying Kiromaru revealed himself as a queerat the DFB was triggered with full force, and she died. In Satoru's case, his attack was never against the fiend-kid, so there is no question of him perceiving he himself having made an attack against the kid resulting in her death. For Saki, even though she also did not launch any direct attack against the kid, her emotional attachment to the kid, as well as her more involved action (running behind Kiromaru and exposed herself in view of the kid), resulted in her mind more likely to perceive the kid died as a result of some direct role of her in the scheme, but since she really did not launch any attack against the kid, she only suffered a slight case of DFB which was alleviated by her clearing her mind that she did not kill her (not directly anyway).

Spirai said:
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I don't know if I'm mixing up when the events happened or not, but Saki told Satoru she thought the 'fiend' was human before he tried to kill it with the pendant, right? So wouldn't that affect his death feedback? Or maybe I'm just really not getting the rules about death feedback...Someone seriously needs to write a whole section dedicated to it.
Not sure whether what I wrote above helps you here. I hope it does.
symbvMar 24, 2013 1:05 AM

Mar 24, 2013 12:49 AM

Sep 2012
Mikuo_Chan said:
Posse said:
Mikuo_Chan said:
UTW says in their site :
What does that mean? Are they saying the fiend is a girl? because thats kind of stupid. Apparently they don't refer to it's gender at all in Japanese script. I don't understand why people feel the need to label it a girl when it was meant to be a boy A BOY!!!!
In this episode Saki explicitly said if only Maria's child could have born inside the village, SHE would have been a really adorable and lovely LITTLE GIRL 少女(shoujo). So in this episode the Japanese script clearly made the kid a GIRL, while in previous episode the script indeed did not state the gender clearly.

So I am sorry you are disappointed, but you can blame the subtitle people for making an unenforced error and calling the gender of the kid wrong in previous episodes, which resulted in you being misguided and celebrating prematurely. In short, Japanese fans 1; English subtitle workers 0

kondee said:
I'm a little confused about the gender of the fiend though...the subs wasn't consistent about it but I guess the fiend is female after all. Looking at how the fiend looks, it makes a lot more sense.
As I said above, in the anime the kid is clearly A GIRL. The subtitle people made a mistake (totally unnecessarily in my view) by assuming the kid is a HE even though the Japanese script never stated clearly its gender. But in this episode the script made it very clear, the kid is A GIRL (although in the novel the kid is a boy).
symbvMar 24, 2013 1:09 AM

Mar 24, 2013 12:55 AM

Sep 2012
vansonbee said:
1) What the moral of the series?
A great story provides a lot of questions and let you draw your conclusion. It is hard to summarize what is the moral you should draw from the story. For me, it is mainly what I said here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=574083&show=0#msg20861593
But of course I can come up with more thoughts about the questions the story throws at us, but I guess this can be a start.

Mar 24, 2013 12:55 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
Mikuo_Chan said:
Posse said:
Mikuo_Chan said:
UTW says in their site :
In this episode Saki explicitly said if only Maria's child could have born inside the village, SHE would have been a really adorable and lovely LITTLE GIRL 少女(shoujo).
So I am sorry you are disappointed, but you can blame the subtitle people for making an unenforced error and calling the gender of the kid wrong in previous episodes. In short, Japanese fans 1; English subtitle workers 0
I AM OUTRAGED WHY??? WHY WHY!!!???? Would they deem it necessary to CHANGE the gender of my beloved Mamoria? I DONT CARE ANYMORE!!! That was a stupid idiotic move and I BLAME YOU Mr anime director Ishihama, Masashi!!!!! HE WILL ALWAYS BE A BOY IN MY EYES!
Mar 24, 2013 1:03 AM

Sep 2012
Zee530 said:
Most shows make an open ended conclusion with the hopes of making a 2nd season or make a very stupid and nonsensical one.
Well, it all depends on how far the adaptation goes with regard to the source material, right? If the adaptation is going to adapt till the end of the source material, you should be able to see a proper conclusion, unless the end in the source material is open-ended. The way I see, in this season, Zetsuen no Tempest should have an actual conclusion, as are Robotic;Notes, because both, like Shinsekai Yori, adapts till the end of the source material. All the other adaptation does not go till the end of the source material, so even an ending in the anime may not look like a clear conclusion, and I think this really can't be helped.

As for original anime, I would not be surprised if they leave with a few things that make it ready for a 2nd season even though they wrap up the story properly. For example, I would say Psycho-Pass has an actual conclusion, but if they want there are enough bits and pieces for them to go for a 2nd season.

Mar 24, 2013 1:23 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
Zee530 said:
Well, it all depends on how far the adaptation goes with regard to the source material, right? If the adaptation is going to adapt till the end of the source material, you should be able to see a proper conclusion, unless the end in the source material is open-ended. The way I see, in this season, Zetsuen no Tempest should have an actual conclusion, as are Robotic;Notes, because both, like Shinsekai Yori, adapts till the end of the source material. All the other adaptation does not go till the end of the source material, so even an ending in the anime may not look like a clear conclusion, and I think this really can't be helped.

As for original anime, I would not be surprised if they leave with a few things that make it ready for a 2nd season even though they wrap up the story properly. For example, I would say Psycho-Pass has an actual conclusion, but if they want there are enough bits and pieces for them to go for a 2nd season.

Psycho-pass's ending hinted at a 2nd season, which is just the studio telling the producers "of you're interested in milking this, we're all up for it", R;N's ending falls in the nonsensical department.

I'm not saying most shows don't conclude well, it's just very rare to see it so perfectly done and answering so many questions that might inevitably come up from the viewers.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 24, 2013 1:31 AM

Nov 2011
Laughing at all the people who dropped this after episode 8
Mar 24, 2013 1:51 AM

Sep 2012
Zee530 said:
Psycho-pass's ending hinted at a 2nd season, which is just the studio telling the producers "of you're interested in milking this, we're all up for it", R;N's ending falls in the nonsensical department.
But as you said "actual conclusion" I think both PP and R;N meet the definition, unless you restrict it by adding other condition that it must also be a satisfactory one.

Zee530 said:
I'm not saying most shows don't conclude well, it's just very rare to see it so perfectly done and answering so many questions that might inevitably come up from the viewers.
That's fair enough, although if we use this as the criterion to judge whether an anime has an "actual conclusion" we will surely come to an awkward result that almost no anime has an "actual conclusion" because none has a perfect ending.

Mar 24, 2013 1:54 AM

Apr 2012
Nequam said:
If scientists (with PK genes) had the ability to implement genes that inhibit one's gland upon the killing of one's imprinted species and the ability to morph humans into moles, why didn't they just remove PK genes from all subsequent generations?

That would mean giving up power. People don't generally do that sort of thing.
Mar 24, 2013 2:26 AM

Mar 2011
Great ending to a great series
Although I somehow knew that Queerat is human in different form,the depth of the expalanation and the plot development amazed me
There were many things that can be improved, but it was one of the best series of 2012
8.5/10
Pages (27) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2012

299 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

517 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 3:31 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

364 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2012

281 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 12:48 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 5, 2012

322 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 5, 12:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.