Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 15, 2011 3:36 AM
Nov 2008
KazukiUchiha said:
5Ds had way more exciting big duels, even from the very start.

Yusei was 18. Yuma is 13.

It's unfair to compare the level of duelling taking place at the beginning.
Apr 16, 2011 9:36 AM

Apr 2009
VampiricPadraig said:
The digital dueling world is pretty cool. I would need to understand it a bit more to know what is with the whole "Exceed Summons" (At first, I thought they were Dark Synchro's from 5D's (Anyone remember them??))

I haven't watched Yu-Gi-Oh! since during the whole Battle City thing, but it looks like Kaiba Corp has been really going all out with their duel technology. And the Exceed summons look kinda useless to me, like they're just glorified fusions.

Anyway, this anime is kind of neat so far. It bothers me somewhat that all of the characters have multiple colours in their hair, but that can be overlooked. The main thing that I'll be watching this for is the duels. I'm expecting them to get more intricate than "Oh no, it has a higher attack power!" later on.
Apr 16, 2011 9:41 AM

Nov 2008
Grimmm said:
Eh, I hate the character designs for starters. Idk man...not liking this so far. I wish they'd bring back tribute summons. Screw the Exceed crap, just gimme Egyptian god summonings. *_*

Just give me a light historical emphasis period, The orginal Yu-Gi-Oh had Egyptian history, 5Ds had Inca history with the Nazca stuff, GX had a poorly done hodgepodge of history if you can even call it that, this seems to have nothing of either one of the three.

Apr 16, 2011 10:41 AM

Sep 2008
movip1991 said:
I'm expecting them to get more intricate than "Oh no, it has a higher attack power!" later on.

I sometimes miss the more ridiculous cards the original season had. Like Time Magician. It was so Deus Ex it hurt. Basically pwned everything except baby dragon and Dark Magician, and the second one was even more out of left field. The fact that the card was introduced in a battle where it allowed Joey to win because his opponent only kept a single mediocre monster card (think of the logistics of using that deck 0_o), so it could destroy all her lifepoints in one shot always pleased me. Fun times. Fun times.

Yeah, I suspect it'll get more complicated than this. Since the main character is a rookie, it makes sense to start the duels off at a rookie level. This can be cool in multiple ways. New viewers can get an decent intro to the rules, and we all get to watch him develop into what I imagine will be a legendary figure towards the end.
Apr 16, 2011 10:05 PM

Sep 2008
This should've been Cardcaptor Kotori instead. Yuma would be competent at sewing and would make the outfits.
Apr 17, 2011 7:23 PM
Nov 2010
I enjoyed this for the most part. I doubt it'll ever reach 5D's level, but that doesn't really 'bother' me.
I liked the ED, can't wait for a full version.
Apr 17, 2011 8:21 PM

Jan 2011
Hoppy said:
who in their right mind says I set one trap card face down? It's an invitation for a counter strategy. For people familiar with the series and/or the card game itself everyone says one card face down or I set a card face down then end their turn and never reveal what kind of card was set.

Nah, there are some expert at mind game who ( rarely) declare which type that he set. It might tricks opponent to do as he wish.
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Apr 19, 2011 8:01 PM

Apr 2011
Maffy said:
I can't even find the proper comments for this episode xD It's like I believe a little bit of everything that was already said . Too deep voices but idm (Shark <3) Shark was like Kaiba x3 . All the mean stuff he does or say in a season , Shark did them in like an epi ! But I still like him the most in there !

PS: Shark FTW ! xD

YES!

It I was reluctant of the hair, but they gave me back Kaiba archetype! He even has some of his mannerisms. (Still, he is nowhere near Kaiba's level of unadulterated epic (hot) awesomeness.)

But the HAIR!
Apr 21, 2011 2:54 AM
Nov 2008
Meh animation seemed pretty ok..BUT....
What i liked: We got a newb player ^^ . We got a cute girl[though Aki and her big boobies will probably be the best girl in YGO history ] .We got Irino Miyu :3 .We have a naked ghost !

What i didn't like : Main chara is too hyper.We have a new relic type thingie [ getting old guys ] We got exceed summon [ syncro summon anyone? O.o ] We got our dragons [ again!?........] What is up with Yuma's hair -_- ?
Apr 21, 2011 6:04 PM

Mar 2009
TypeOfCicada said:
Well, I for one liked the first episode of Zexal. A lot.
I liked that it brought about a return to the altar ego character, which was the certain something that was missing from GX and (the one I never watched) 5Ds.
It seems to me like a sort of a blend of GX and the original series, but I certainly wouldn't fault it for that. Good writers recycle the best ideas. And if Yu-Gi-Oh! were about GOOD duelists, that would assume too much intelligence on the part of the viewer (most of whom are younger children.)

This was nearly exactly how I explained it to someone! :)

Well, I for one, quite like it. Looking forward to seeing more.
May 12, 2011 4:54 AM

Jun 2010
i'm really interested on exceed summon...if this new series is going to be great thats the key :)
Aug 19, 2011 12:44 AM
May 2011
just started watching this today. . .
but honestly i dont really enjoy it. . .
mostly because of the character design i guess. . . .
but i'll try and watch another episode or two to see how it'll be~
Oct 15, 2011 10:50 AM

Mar 2009
Pretty decent start.

Not a huge fan of the character designs but overall it was fun.

The dub is decent, my least fav voice is Yumma's but buy the end of the ep it was already growing on me.

The new duel system is really cool, and the duel-izers or whatever they are called are awesome.

The CG is actually pretty good, the new monsters look pretty bad ass.

Looking forward to next week.

And it sounds like they made his catch phrase better, in the dub it's "I'm feeling the flow!" instead of "I am Pop Flying".

Urahara Out!!
Dec 8, 2011 7:48 PM

Sep 2011
Ugh...why did they make another Yu-gi-oh series? -.- They should've stopped after 5D's...
Jul 3, 2012 10:24 AM

May 2012
This was a GREAT first episode. Finally, we don't have another character that can perfectly duel from the very beginning of the series. Yes, Yuma literally sucks at dueling, doesn't even know some rules (what's a tribute summon? He doesn't know). And THAT'S THE BEST PART. We are going to follow a character that grows up and learns everything about duels and not only (leave me the freedom to say that I hope for some YumaxKotori romance, it would be kind of new for YGO anime), in front of our eyes. We will see the experience. We will se how a duelist can become better and better with training, friends, rivals, and LOSSES. Because losses can teach you lots of things (GX explained us something about Jaden: he used to never lose, but when it happened, he was in crysis). We'll follow him in his path and that's the most amazing thing.

Except this we have younger characters, that's sort of unique for YGO: Yugi & co., Jaden & academy, Yusei & friends, were all more grown-up ones. Now we have to do with approx. 12-13 years old friends that still have A LOT to learn. And we can see different situations: 12 years old act differently than 18 or 16 years old. We will experience new adventures... and that's a really fresh breath for the series. We'll move from more amazing and "mythic" things to a most ordinary situation (at least for the beginning: I expect some big plot twists for the future).

Briefly, Zexal-001 was a great way to begin and I expect a lot from this generation. Gotta love Yuma, guys.
Jul 7, 2012 7:17 AM

Oct 2011
Yuma is adorable; Shark looks fun.

I'm liking the new setting, and the happy vibe is a breath of fresh air compared to 5D's (which, in my opinion, is still the best YGO series).

Really liking this so far.
A lot more than what I expected.
|ω・)
Feb 12, 2015 7:50 AM

Jan 2013
Why the hell did Shark use his magic card for Big Jaws that powers up his monsters by 1000 points, when Yuma only had a 1600 att monster, better use it for another turn right?
Visuals are great, character design not so much, I hope the show gets a bit more interesting
May 27, 2015 11:20 PM

Apr 2013
Alright time to start Zexal! If anyone cares about my pre-watch thoughts and what I've heard before watching (maybe spoilers, maybe incorrect spoilers lol):

Visuals:

I love Yuma's room design, and people were not lying when they said this would be a colorful show. It's so bright XD First time yugioh has a protag with so many on-screen relatives with the sister and grandma. His mom looks really pretty, and his dad looks really cool. I really like seeing the official card backs on the cards instead of just a brown oval. Everyone seems to have two-toned hair in this series. I though that was something saved for only the main character and special side characters lol. I am not a huge fan of the new duel disks. Way too cube-y looking. I really like the xyz summon effects though. It'd also be nice if they kept the duel disk and D gazer equip cuts. I though they were cool. It looks like putting on battle gear almost XD

I'm fine with the new character designs. Mostly because I'm used to seeing Zexal images and what they all look like.

OP/ED:

This opening song was kind of unexpected. It's like techno pop or something? Either way, we've never had a song like this in yugioh so I'm going to have to get used to it.
The ending song might as well be Yuma's theme from what we've seen of him. I really love the last shot of Yuma sitting on the pendant-looking chair and Astral beside him. It's the most epic shot we have of him.

Story:

So you can only see duels with these scouters. What happened to solid vision? I guess this helps normal people out by not seeing monsters flying everywhere killing each other. I haven't the slightest clue what "Gatto bingu" is in either Japanese or English. Gotta Bring (it to them)? seems to be as close as we can get.

The first XYZ summon of the show goes to Shark, our seemingly rival-character. First we had Kaiba ripping cards, Manjoume belittling Judai, Jack stealing cards, and now Shark debuts with breaking Yuma's necklace. Way to follow in your predecessor's asshole footsteps, Shark.

Yuma unlocks a chained door/gate and out pops Astral. Shark seems to have had a similar thing or he just randomly got a 'Number' card and some uncontrollable force. I predict Shark will get rekt by Astral in the next episode.

It's also pretty obvious that they're trying to teach new audience members how dueling works. I'm ok with this since Yuma's also learning the ropes. They didn't do this in 5Ds (maybe because Yusei was too experienced), and I thought it was pretty strange. We now know about higher atk power monster destroying lower atk ones and dealing damage. We also learn about face-down cards. Yay!

Yuma:

Yuma is more similar to Judai than anyone, except Yuma kinda sucks at everything it seems. He's 13 and our youngest protagonist, so I'm fine with him starting out a newbie. I want to see growth out of him more than anything.
No scratch that. The thing that I want to see is him someday ditch those pants. I can forgive everything I've seen EXCEPT those orange-flame white pants. Who in the right mind wears that? This is almost Team Satisfaction jackets-level fashion cringe.
funlandMay 28, 2015 12:10 AM
Sep 12, 2015 3:00 PM

Nov 2013
Iconic said:
I'm sure everyone has been thinking it, but I'm just going to point it out anyway. Why is our female character severely flat chested? This kinda breaks the chain, don't you think? All of our love interests for our main characters had big breasts. ;-;

Wow I can't believe that someone is actually complaining about this fact like is that what matters????

Every other YGO girl has been at least smthing like 15, but Kotori is only, what, 13. How many 13 years old girls you know to have large chest size? Especially when they're as petite as Kotori is? Yeah, thought so.

I'm so amazed that you even pointed this out as if it would be a serious fact.

Iconic said:

As for Astral, we haven't seen too much of him/her/it, but I would probably be happier if (1) he/she/it wore clothes, and (2) resembled a human being. But he/she/it hasn't had too much screen time, so I'm not going to judge yet.

I don't know how old are you, but it seems kinda ridiculous to judge Astral for those factors. I know nothing about Astral, but to me they were one of the factors I really wanted to start watching this show. Especially because THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE A HUMAN and I want to know what kind of being they are.

Also what has not wearing clothes have to do with anything; weren't you just interested about Kotori's cup size so why would it matter to you if Astral wouldn't have any clothes??

Anyway.. I know how much hate this show has in particular, but I'm curious to see myself how this all is going to turn out. I personally liked the first episode, but then again I really like main characters who start off as weak and then get stronger during the series.
May 25, 2016 8:25 AM

Jan 2010
I re-watched the episode yesterday as I dropped the series after my first time viewing the first episode. I think part of the reason I originally dropped it was the shock, in 5d's we get a darker type of story and setting, and while Zexal has a very dark opening scene, it's vibrant color's and goofy character design (even by YuGiOh standards) are a little off putting. The hairstyles are outlandish per YuGiOh character designs but these are some of the worst for the series imo. Lastly Yuma being really boisterous while sucking at....everything really turned me off. It took me a while to figure out who he reminded me of but then I watched an early episode of Naruto and it hit me like a ton of Bricks. This guys is basically the Naruto of the YuGiOh world.

Unlike previous YuGiOh protagonist this guys is horrible. On my second go round this is when I started to like the episode. Though Yuma is very annoying he is also very unique and different from the previous protagonist in that he has no skills when it comes to dueling. Yuma's catch phrase isn't that bad either and the fact that he isn't a genius duelist makes me feel better about the overall growth Yuma can have. You can definitely tell Zexal is aimed at a younger audience than 5d's but if you understand that much then you may still be able to have some fun with this series.
logic340May 25, 2016 2:05 PM
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Jun 14, 2016 8:17 AM

May 2013
This is going to be tough to watch, but we'll see where it goes.
Edit: Well, I'm actually starting to like it a bit after the 2nd episode. Very lighthearted.
thrill4thisJun 14, 2016 3:04 PM
Dec 21, 2017 3:48 PM

May 2016
Hoppy said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yuma sucks at dueling, who in their right mind says I set one trap card face down? It's an invitation for a counter strategy. For people familiar with the series and/or the card game itself everyone says one card face down or I set a card face down then end their turn and never reveal what kind of card was set. He also had some trap cards which he should have placed face down instead of leaving his monster open to attack on the first turn. He also seems to bullied around by everyone even his own friend. The exceed summon has great visuals and this can be an ok series since the spirit is assisting Yuma, it's still awkward that the main character completely sucks on his own.

Funny thing: People never mention this mistake the writer did, cuz they used used others and excuse to make this one look better.
Apr 15, 2018 4:21 AM

May 2016
I personally think thank that Yuma is an annoying character. He doesn't respect that he sucks at dueling at all.
Oct 21, 2018 3:20 AM

May 2016
It's already bad enough having such a hot-headed character like Jayden. And on top of that, he can't even play the game for crap. Yugi was pretty good (Yami was sometimes better), Jayden knew how to play I guessm and Yusei was really smart. This Yuuma kid is just complete dumb. I too shall watch a few more episodes before giving it up.
Nov 9, 2018 12:19 PM

May 2016
One minute into rewatching Zexal, and I am reminded of how much I hate Yuma's loud voice

Holy shit, that duel was bad just by hingsight. No wonder this show sucks every time you come back to it.
Jan 1, 2020 7:23 AM

Feb 2014
K, time to start the supposedly worst season of YGO, I do love Xyz monsters so I have the feeling I won't entirely hate this season.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 69 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 27, 2012

4 by vv1 »»
Apr 8, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 67 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 13, 2012

7 by vv1 »»
Apr 7, 2:16 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 66 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 30, 2012

7 by vv1 »»
Apr 7, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 64 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2012

3 by vv1 »»
Apr 6, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 63 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 9, 2012

4 by vv1 »»
Apr 6, 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.