Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2009 10:12 AM

Feb 2009
This show can go from weird and intriguing to hilarious in an instant, and that's what's great about it.

Overall this episode felt quite surrealist, like the first one, and I hope it'll continue to be like that. Truly an interesting show.
Jul 19, 2009 10:19 AM

Oct 2008
The point was pretty much that Hitagi is in to domination, likes Koyomi and he isn't totally opposed to the idea because she is attractive. After he helps her with her problem and is there for her, her treating him like shit still is just too much. After a while, anyone would just tell her to get lost, no matter how attractive she is.

The show is pretty good, but i'm surprised so many people liked a scene that was exactly the same as last episode's, except without the fan service (good or bad thing depending on viewer, but the scene is still the same). Spice & wolf has the same back and forth teasing, except it is done in moderation so that it still has some meaning and also unlike this show, the female character doesn't do it out of malice or a need to dominate the male character.

Honestly, if they spend half of next episode repeating the same scene, will be hard to justify watching this show again.

I did find the part with the little kid funny though.
Jul 19, 2009 10:53 AM

Sep 2007
Falatorx said:
I'm surprised so many people liked a scene that was exactly the same as last episode's
[...]
Honestly, if they spend half of next episode repeating the same scene, will be hard to justify watching this show again.

I don't need to look into your list to say that you have not seen the second season of Haruhi. XD

I think most people don't care about minor repetitions anymore, we've seen the ultimate apocalypse animated, nothing can get worse than that, so I didn't even notice and therefore have no idea what repetition you are talking about. Ô.o
Jul 19, 2009 11:20 AM

Aug 2007
A whole ep of dialogue that wasn't boring, wow, kudos to SHAFT!

Hitagi trying to dominate him is so funny. Hopefully there will be real romance between those two :3
Jul 19, 2009 11:27 AM

Feb 2009

Was at the end of the episode^^
Jul 19, 2009 12:41 PM

Aug 2008
Spade said:
SHAFT is the only studio that can get away with a 20-minute dialogue in one single location the entire time. There was not a single scene where I would not say "This looks pretty damn awesome".

Also, someone beating the crap out of a grade-school-girl is not something you see every day. XD

Enough said.

And pure awesome episode.

Though...I still don't know what I think about Senjougahara. I like her yet I do not. Her malicious ways gives her a certain interesting personality you don't see much...yet is so annoying at the same time. I guess she's a love/hate character for me.
Jul 19, 2009 1:12 PM

Jan 2009
colnagojim said:
Good lord, Did anybody watch the superior subs version? It's worlds different than gg's and trash in comparison. I feel like I'm watching the epesode again for the first time.
Totally, and i didn't intended to watch GG's version, when GG finally released i decided to watch it... And Jesus mother fucking christ it was totally another version. Sorry but Superior is just a sack of diarreha. Next time I'll just wait.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 19, 2009 1:57 PM

Dec 2008
The character interactions are pretty good but sometimes Senjougahara can annoy me. I kinda feel sorry for the guy.
Jul 19, 2009 3:09 PM
Dec 2007
This third episode was weird, but in a right way, and even though the direction and script are extremely formulaic, I can't stop but liking it.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 19, 2009 3:47 PM

Apr 2008
My reaction to this episode is fairly similar to everyone else. There was the sense at points that it should move on from the conversation to supernatural plot points, and Senjougahara should by all means annoy me with her unjustified mocking, but I was just hanging on every word. Something about the phrasing combined with Shaft's typically untypical art really tickled my brain.

I do hope most of the episodes keep up the higher tempo of the first two, but I'm still really enjoying this.
Jul 19, 2009 3:55 PM

May 2009
Extremely dialogue heavy episode - It was great.
Loved the part where Araragi was laughing after beating up Mayoi, lol.. xD
Jul 19, 2009 3:56 PM

Aug 2008
Basically what we had was an episode that characterizes Koyomi a lot better than the previous episodes. Even though the banter between him and Senjougahara was about the same, it was all directed towards him, his family, and the way he thinks, as opposed to having the focus on Senjougahara.

I especially liked the ladder half of the episode where it picked up and became funny, so 4/5 from me.
Jul 19, 2009 4:21 PM

Aug 2008
Even though not much happened story wise I absolutely loved this episode! I was afraid that Senjougahara would be either cast to the sideline or get her personality changed, but she was as awesome as ever. I should probably add her to my favorite characters.

And Araragi beating up the grade-schooler and feeling good about it was total lols!
Jul 19, 2009 4:25 PM

Mar 2009
Even though some of the conversation was interesting, I'd wish they'd hurry up with the plot. I prefer the first two episodes over this one. They did nothing but talk at the same place all episode long.
Jul 19, 2009 5:08 PM

Jun 2007
So basically Koyomi likes Senjougahara but wont give in to saying it first because he doesn't want to make it seem like she's right. Senjougahara likes Koyomi but wants him to want her and say it. Both have pretty much admitted they like each other but neither has said it yet :/. I hope they don't keep this 20 min long, back and forth flirting fest in every episode.

Senjougahara is tsundere, which she admitted in the first episode. This explains why she's so verbally abusive to Koyomi but at the same time can show affection in an indirect way.
Jul 19, 2009 6:08 PM

Jul 2009

Koyomi's eyes turn red...?
Picture will be available soon! ;)
Jul 19, 2009 6:18 PM

Sep 2008
Oosran said:
Gai-Sensei said:
stayatari said:
The worst show this season so far.

I agree.
^this, is quite true, although imo it's a shared first place together with Spice&Wolf II : 3
Jul 19, 2009 8:08 PM

May 2008
As far as I can see Senjougahara is asking him out indirectly. She is pure love in those clothes. I couldn't care less about the dialogue, as long as Senjougahara is there. I honestly thought she would be out of the show or have minimal role throughout the rest of the show after her arc is over but I'm glad I'm wrong.
Jul 19, 2009 8:43 PM

Jan 2008
She wore him out with her witty dialog. However, the audience was also worn out.
Jul 19, 2009 9:15 PM
May 2008
Senjougahara in casual clothes = very nice!!!

Anyway, even though the show is very formulaic so far like someone else mentioned it is directed really well imo, so it stays interesting. So far I'm liking the interaction between Araragi and Senjougahara... it sort of reminds me of Horo and Lawrence (Spice and Wolf).
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 19, 2009 9:15 PM

Feb 2009
datsunvic said:
She wore him out with her witty dialog. However, the audience was also worn out.

So true I got lost so many time. Anyway I wonder how much vampire residue he has left on him. Not to forget about the WTF moment I had while watching the last five minutes of the anime.
MaxCrazy7Jul 19, 2009 9:19 PM
Jul 19, 2009 9:25 PM
Mar 2008
Another great episode, it's fun watching them go back and forth, and glad Hitagi didn't change much after the last ep. Also, what a great battle scene haha.
Jul 19, 2009 9:53 PM

Apr 2009
It takes a anime like this that make me come to the understanding that my Japanese sucks. Yeah for subtitles!
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

Jul 19, 2009 9:58 PM

Apr 2007
Love the dialogue. Conversations are almost like a test of wit, got a Pulp Fiction kinda thing going on.
Jul 19, 2009 10:12 PM

Jul 2009
This episode... what the hell? It was fantastic.
Jul 19, 2009 10:31 PM

Jul 2007
I enjoyed it. For an episode consisting of mostly dialogue it sure felt short. The convos between Araragi and Hitagi are pretty amusing.

also loled @ Araragi defeating the elementary school girl
Jul 20, 2009 12:29 AM

Jan 2009
The park scene background got kinda boring but I seriously love the style of this show! The chemistry between the two leads is hilarious so I didn't mind all the talking though it did seem to drag in places.

Hopefully the next ep will be more...interesting?

Jul 20, 2009 12:33 AM

Nov 2007
Awesome episode as random as it was, ha ha can't believe he started laughing after judo throwing the grade school girl xD although I laughed along with him.
Jul 20, 2009 1:04 AM

Apr 2008
I'm impressed. This was an episode consisting almost entirely of static characters having a single dialogue, and I wasn't bored for a minute. NisioisiN's clearly excellent source material (very well transcribed to screenplay, I might add) coupled with Shinbou/SHAFT's wacky brand of hyperexperimental animation and good work from the voice actors really made this work. Add to this the great scene of Araragi vs. the grade schooler at the end and the unique brand of supernaturalism and meaningful fanservice (never thought I'd put those words together) from the first two episodes and you have a winning series. Shinbou and Isin seem to be a perfect pair.

I loved the way everything kept moving in this episode despite the fact that the characters were doing nothing but talk. SHAFT did a brilliant job with this - it annoys me to no end when there are long sequences with just two people talking and nothing happening visually; I feel I might as well be listening to a book on tape. Every discussion in this show has been made infinitely more heated and intense by SHAFT's one-of-a-kind trademark style, and Shinbou has proven again and again that he knows what he's doing.

If it keeps going like it has been (meaning with as much variety and spark as it's had), there's no way this is staying off my top ten list.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jul 20, 2009 1:12 AM

Jul 2008
woah i really like it. i just totally enjoy senjouhara and araragi talking. its pretty fun to watch. good that senjouhara didnt change a bit. i totally love her char <3
street clothes is awesome.

Jul 20, 2009 2:01 AM

Jul 2008
Really enjoyed this episode, much more than the previous two. The character interaction was amazing, I wouldn't change a thing.
Jul 20, 2009 2:58 AM

Apr 2009
Nice episode~~.
Jul 20, 2009 3:26 AM

Sep 2008
WOW Koyomi used his vampire eyes to focus in the distance.

Cool.
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Jul 20, 2009 4:11 AM

Dec 2008
Tamaki-san said:
colnagojim said:
Good lord, Did anybody watch the superior subs version? It's worlds different than gg's and trash in comparison. I feel like I'm watching the epesode again for the first time.
Totally, and i didn't intended to watch GG's version, when GG finally released i decided to watch it... And Jesus mother fucking christ it was totally another version. Sorry but Superior is just a sack of diarreha. Next time I'll just wait.

This basically^

Totally couldn't understand the dialogue part with superior subs. Thought it was pretty boring until I rewatched it with gg subs. Also interesting backgrounds might I add.
Jul 20, 2009 4:25 AM

Jun 2008
first half of episode was very boring, all that blah blah, not that i dont like long conversations but their subject was just meh and i dont even like characters of this show, but somewhat surrealism and unique animation will make me stick to it for some more time though...but i hope some more action will kick in later..
Jul 20, 2009 4:54 AM

Jan 2008
For an episode with absolutely nothing going on, it was a great episode. Found it more interesting than the previous episodes.
Jul 20, 2009 5:38 AM

Jul 2009
Lol~ araragi beat up a child!!
Also did Shaft suddenly make a goal of covering every drawing style used in the anime from this ep onwards~?? rofl

Jul 20, 2009 5:59 AM

Jul 2008

---
I'm probably loving this series a little bit more than I should. Great dialogue this episode.

And yes, Araragi. Senjougahara is more powerful than Shen Long.
Jul 20, 2009 7:58 AM

Oct 2007
Tarball said:
To everyone complaining about too much talking:
Wikipedia said:
The series primarily focuses on conversations between characters

If it really bores you that much, this probably isn't the type of show you should be watching.

Pretty much... Bakemonogatari light novels are actually novel length.. the two books are 500 pages in length and it's mostly dialogue based.
Jul 20, 2009 9:46 AM

Jun 2009
What is this I don't even
Jul 20, 2009 11:04 AM

May 2008
All I have to say is...

Jul 20, 2009 11:49 AM

Aug 2007
Longest dialogue-anime of the year award for Bakemonogatari after watching this episode. Really. Funny how Koyomi smacked the girl's head, but also when she got him back by kicking him. ''There stood a high school boy who had seriously taken on a grade-school girl, seriously fought her, seriously won with a judo throw, and seriously felt proud of himself.'' She could have just simply yelled the whole neighbourhood together, but I guess she isn't that smart.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jul 20, 2009 12:20 PM

Feb 2008
Oh my god, Koyomi is so dumb! For 3/4 of the episode, Hitagi continuously is implying that she'd like to go out with Koyomi, who has no idea, and/or isn't acting about it, even though he gets like 30 chances during the episode. He makes me wanna cry.
The episode was a little boring, but it's all thanks to Koyomi, who's an idiot and unexciting. And what's with him beating the crap out of a little girl? Seriously now.
amcsiJul 20, 2009 12:24 PM

Jul 20, 2009 12:28 PM
Apr 2009
That last ten minute or so was pretty funny
Jul 20, 2009 12:39 PM

Oct 2008
amcsi said:
Oh my god, Koyomi is so dumb! For 3/4 of the episode, Hitagi continuously is implying that she'd like to go out with Koyomi, who has no idea, and/or isn't acting about it, even though he gets like 30 chances during the episode. He makes me wanna cry.
The episode was a little boring, but it's all thanks to Koyomi, who's an idiot and unexciting. And what's with him beating the crap out of a little girl? Seriously now.

She spent most of the time insulting him though (as well as the last episode doing the same thing). I get the feeling he was torn between liking her or telling her to go screw herself. Even if he did like her (which he probably does), it would be impossible to tell if she was serious or just playing around with him to amuse herself based on her personality and past behavior.

No normal person without major personality disorders is going to respond favorably to that treatment for long.

The little girl did throw the first punch if i remember right. All is well that ends well.
Jul 20, 2009 2:21 PM

Apr 2009
Hmm interesting dialogue. Also interesting little firl at the end. Haha Hitagi's so mean. :/
Jul 20, 2009 3:51 PM

Dec 2007
nice episode. o pitty araragi... that girl she's so confusing xD she'll drive him mad somehow.
Jul 20, 2009 4:32 PM

Sep 2007
I'm totally loving this show ♥

Jul 20, 2009 5:53 PM

Jun 2009
DarK_BalteR said:
Meh, okay episode I suppose. Koyomi is starting to show his true colors with constant chest and lips shots. Nice to see Hitagi in casual wear she looked more attractive than usual. I kind of got bored with the endless talk hoping something interesting will happen. I bet they had fun riding all those rides. Where were they anyway? it was like they were in some random endless white space with a map that says:

• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY

What's up with that?

I believe that is when he was trying to defend his case about her attacking him.
But that is just my impression.

It was a really good episode nonetheless.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 20, 2009 6:00 PM

Jun 2007
Suzune-chan said:
DarK_BalteR said:
Meh, okay episode I suppose. Koyomi is starting to show his true colors with constant chest and lips shots. Nice to see Hitagi in casual wear she looked more attractive than usual. I kind of got bored with the endless talk hoping something interesting will happen. I bet they had fun riding all those rides. Where were they anyway? it was like they were in some random endless white space with a map that says:

• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY

What's up with that?

I believe that is when he was trying to defend his case about her attacking him.
But that is just my impression.

It was a really good episode nonetheless.

It was like that before he even attacked her.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

6 by ichinose06 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

510 by deem0n »»
Apr 23, 1:30 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Apr 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.