Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think that the excuse "I can't read the subs while watching" is legitimate ?

New
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 27, 2013 8:42 AM

Sep 2012
I hate dubs because they butcher Japanese names(prononciation) and stuff like that..
Aug 27, 2013 8:54 AM

Apr 2011
Grimmjow-- said:
I hate dubs because they butcher Japanese names(prononciation) and stuff like that..

Don't be such a hypocrite. Japanese also butcher non-Japanese names.
Aug 27, 2013 9:04 AM

Jun 2013
yhunata said:
Grimmjow-- said:

I was waiting for someone to make this remark. It's hypocritical, but in the Japanese culture, they're not really expected to pronounce other names correctly. Considering that anime is, usually, a fairly "strictly-Japanese" medium. In which the show follows the life of Japanese people living in Japan, or some country where Japanese is spoken.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Aug 27, 2013 9:12 AM

Apr 2011
YandereTheEmo said:
yhunata said:
Grimmjow-- said:

I was waiting for someone to make this remark. It's hypocritical, but in the Japanese culture, they're not really expected to pronounce other names correctly. Considering that anime is, usually, a fairly "strictly-Japanese" medium. In which the show follows the life of Japanese people living in Japan, or some country where Japanese is spoken.

Indeed and when, dubbing they're targeting it to a foreign demographic, yet it's wrong for them to say the names wrongly? Since they're targeting a foreign demographic, they're no longer bound by the Japanese language.
Aug 27, 2013 9:15 AM

Jun 2013
yhunata said:
YandereTheEmo said:
yhunata said:
Grimmjow-- said:

Indeed and when, dubbing they're targeting it to a foreign demographic, yet it's wrong for them to say the names wrongly? Since they're targeting a foreign demographic, they're no longer bound by the Japanese language.

No it's not "wrong" However, many people watch anime because, albeit only partially, they want to be inversed into some Japanese culture. Having it butchered by the VA's can be a bit of a downer for some.
I don't find it wrong for them to "butcher" the names though, for it is a venue set to target Americans. I don't think many Japanese people go out of their way to watch English Dubs.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Aug 27, 2013 9:17 AM

Apr 2011
YandereTheEmo said:
yhunata said:
YandereTheEmo said:
yhunata said:
Grimmjow-- said:

No it's not "wrong" However, many people watch anime because, albeit only partially, they want to be inversed into some Japanese culture. Having it butchered by the VA's can be a bit of a downer for some.
I don't find it wrong for them to "butcher" the names though, for it is a venue set to target Americans. I don't think many Japanese people go out of their way to watch English Dubs.

So are you agreeing, disagreeing or disagreeing, but agreeing with me?
Aug 27, 2013 9:19 AM

Jun 2013
yhunata said:
YandereTheEmo said:
yhunata said:
YandereTheEmo said:
yhunata said:
Grimmjow-- said:

So are you agreeing, disagreeing or disagreeing, but agreeing with me?

It's more like I'm agreeing to understand both points of view, but from a personal standpoint, I would agree with what you said.
YandereTheEmo said:
Aug 27, 2013 9:20 AM

Apr 2013
Honestly, I do hear that a lot actually. It may be true that they are just slow readers, but I know that most people just can't stand the sound of the Japanese voice actor. I personally love subbed over dubbed. Mostly because the character's mouthing when they talk fits better with the Japanese voice actor's than the english voice actor's. Plus, while watching subs, I learned a bit of Japanese and I learned to read faster. Believe me, I was once one of those people who said they watched dubbed instead of subbed cuz they couldn't read fast. That was when I realized that the mouth and voice didn't match which bothered me haha.
The funny thing is that because I started watching subbed a long time ago, I became very fast at reading. I remember back then, my 6th grade teacher let me read more "advanced" books cuz of the "vocabulary" I learned and my reading speed... LOL, thanks anime!
Aug 27, 2013 9:24 AM

Oct 2010
-Gia- said:
I personally love subbed over dubbed. Mostly because the character's mouthing when they talk fits better with the Japanese voice actor's than the english voice actor's. Plus, while watching subs, I learned a bit of Japanese and I learned to read faster. Believe me, I was once one of those people who said they watched dubbed instead of subbed cuz they couldn't read fast. That was when I realized that the mouth and voice didn't match which bothered me haha.

The Japanese audio is added after the anime has already been animated, so it's just as prone to lip-flap as dubbed anime. The only exception to this that I can think of is Red Garden, where the audio was recorded first.
Aug 27, 2013 9:25 AM

Jun 2012
It's just a matter of preferences though XD but in reality some people cannot read fast and does not have a good eye coordination so if they read the subs they won't see the anime :3 XD
Aug 27, 2013 9:36 AM

Apr 2013
spyrocoot said:
-Gia- said:
I personally love subbed over dubbed. Mostly because the character's mouthing when they talk fits better with the Japanese voice actor's than the english voice actor's. Plus, while watching subs, I learned a bit of Japanese and I learned to read faster. Believe me, I was once one of those people who said they watched dubbed instead of subbed cuz they couldn't read fast. That was when I realized that the mouth and voice didn't match which bothered me haha.

The Japanese audio is added after the anime has already been animated, so it's just as prone to lip-flap as dubbed anime. The only exception to this that I can think of is Red Garden, where the audio was recorded first.

Haha yea i know. My mind plays tricks on me; for some reason I just think Japanese voices fit better, but that's only my opinion. Anyways thanks for the input.
Aug 27, 2013 9:56 AM
May 2013
jal90 said:
My bad spyro, I feel like feeding the troll today.
You know what i'd call a troll ? a slimy asshat with a moe avatar who responds with ambiguous remarks and snarky insults.

Well excuse me i think i can read the subs much better than finding the underlying "Point" in your argument.
You don't need to be physically challenged to acknowledge that you have limits regarding everything
Then fine you're mentally stunted if you can't keep up with text on screen.
I assume I'm a hardcore dub defender for you
Right what next ?? shall we commence in this idiotic battle of yours ? people like you are the reason why we can't have good things.
yhunata said:
I don't care if you can't read the subs, at least don't make shit up to justify it.
This is the whole point of my thread.
Aug 27, 2013 9:57 AM

Feb 2010
The only English dub I turned away from that wasn't 4K!ds was Higurashi. That shit was inexcusable.

And yes, I'd prefer to just watch an anime instead of keeping a periphery on the entire screen despite it being second nature to me.
Aug 27, 2013 10:06 AM

Oct 2010
Hey, I'm being called an asshat by some guy who creates a topic and acts like he can't allow opinions in it.

Don't worry, man. First, you didn't even answer my very first post in this thread, which brings some reasoning on the topic at hand. You can start with that.

And sorry for calling you a troll! I was too mentally challenged to realize that you are actually that sensitive.
Aug 27, 2013 10:07 AM

Aug 2009
I remember watching anime with my step-brother a few years ago, and he had to pause the video everytime new subtitles came on, cause he couldn't manage to read them as they went and god it was annoying.

I always preferred subs over dubs, mainly because I don't really like the english language, it doesn't sound natural to me. Also growing up I watched Pokemon and other shit dubbed, but not in english, so I don't really have any relation to english dubs.
Aug 27, 2013 10:15 AM

Dec 2012
Of course it's a valid excuse I mean why wouldn't it be, some people are slow readers that's just a fact. More importantly why does it bug you that other people watch their anime in dub? It shouldn't matter what 'excuse' they have for watching dub.
Aug 27, 2013 10:15 AM
Sep 2009
For someone who watches a lot of anime, it is questionable if not being able to keep up with the subtitles is a legitimate excuse. After all, they have probably watched more than a few in anime in their original Japanese. Of course, they could just not be in the mood to read subtites, which is often why I will watch dubbed anime. However, dubs are more inviting to a causal watcher who doesn't know Japanese, which is one of the reasons it is good that dubs exist.

Also, it seems as if this topic was just made to hate on English dubs... fucking typical.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Aug 27, 2013 10:19 AM

Apr 2011
Vishnu_Karthik said:
yhunata said:
I don't care if you can't read the subs, at least don't make shit up to justify it.
This is the whole point of my thread.

From the way you said it, I don't think you got my point. Slow reading means the "I can't read subs while watching" excuse is justified. "I can't read subs while watching because humans can't multi-task" is not. You're arguing on the former case and didn't take into consideration the latter case, thus, I was disagreeing with your argument.
Aug 27, 2013 10:21 AM

Sep 2012
The only time I could think of it being legit was if they had some sort of eyesight or mental problem. Or if they found it hard to read text that fast.

I'd say most of the time people are just being lazy though -3-
Aug 27, 2013 10:25 AM

Jul 2012
Vishnu_Karthik said:
I think its a copout method for Dub fans to discredit original Japanese version of the show.

And its just infuriating for me to see that this is such a common excuse.

"I prefer dubs because i don't want to read all the time when i watch the show" that's like saying even if the dubbing is terrible i don't want to read.

Well yeah. Even if the dubbing is bad I don't want to read. I switched out terrible because there's a certain point that its too much. That point is Sailor Moon. I want to watch it subbed. As for Sonic X. I don't want my eyes looking at words at the bottom when I can be taking in the art. Plus the words sometimes actually cover some of the art.

Anyways, it can be a legitimate excuse, I think. Some people may not be able to read that fast or may be poor readers. This doesn't discredit Japanese voices. This just means they prefer English or whatever their language is voices.
Aug 27, 2013 10:25 AM

Apr 2011
tHe-OTAKU- said:

Preposterous. I'm lazy and still managed to read the subs on Teekyuu. If I can do it, anyone can (this is the scene where you get the friendship courage from me).
Aug 27, 2013 10:31 AM

Nov 2012
yhunata said:
tHe-OTAKU- said:

Preposterous. I'm lazy and still managed to read the subs on Teekyuu. If I can do it, anyone can (this is the scene where you get the friendship courage from me).

Teekyuu?
Pfft please, try Acchi Kocchi at the end of each episode (next ep previews) subs at the top and bottom at high speed.
http://i.minus.com/iIxpa3nu8cqej.gif
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。

Jan 2013
It's not that I can't read subs while watching (after all, I was taking advanced English and reading classes since middle school), it's just I REALLY dislike Japanese voice acting. I don't like the ridiculous overacting, the grunts, the constant shouting, and especially the annoying high pitched voices.

P.S. I also don't like how they say san or chan or kun or whatever dumbass thing they say after someone's name. If some Jap ever put that at the end of my name, I'd make sure to correct that asshole and have him say my birth name again until he says it correctly.
MajinSagaAug 27, 2013 10:45 AM
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Sep 2009
Vishnu_Karthik said:
I think its a copout method for Dub fans to discredit original Japanese version of the show.

I find this rather hilarious because I don't know of any dub watchers that try to discredit the original Japanese. I myself enjoy watching dubs, but know anime is usually better in Japanese. It is only ever the sub watchers that try to discredit dubs, and put down dub watchers.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Aug 27, 2013 10:34 AM

Apr 2011
judojon said:
Vishnu_Karthik said:

I find this rather hilarious because I don't know of any dub watchers that try to discredit the original Japanese. I myself enjoy watching dubs, but know anime is usually better in Japanese. It is only ever the sub watchers that try to discredit dubs, and put down dub watchers.

Above you.
Aug 27, 2013 10:39 AM

Jan 2013
YandereTheEmo said:
yhunata said:
YandereTheEmo said:
yhunata said:
Grimmjow-- said:

Not really. I honeslty don't care about the Japanese culture. To be honest, I only watch anime because I love animation. I really could care less where it came from. But it just so happens tthat Japan is really the only country that produces really high quality animation with serious storylines and dialouge. If fucking Iraq started producing animation of that caliber, I would be watching it.
MajinSagaAug 27, 2013 10:50 AM
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Aug 27, 2013 10:42 AM
May 2013
yhunata said:
From the way you said it, I don't think you got my point.
yeah but i don't hear people saying "I'm a slow reader therefore i can't keep up with subs" that's just wayy to humble for these asshats

No i mostly hear "Subs suck becuz i don't WANT to read while i watch"

see there is a BIG BIG difference between "Want" and "Can't"
Aug 27, 2013 10:44 AM

Apr 2011
Vishnu_Karthik said:
yhunata said:
From the way you said it, I don't think you got my point.
yeah but i don't hear people saying "I'm a slow reader therefore i can't keep up with subs"

No i mostly hear "Subs suck becuz i don't WANT to read while i watch"

see there is a BIG BIG difference between "Want" and "Can't"

If they don't want to read while they watch, then let them do so. That also doesn't mean they can't read subs. Like you said, there is a big difference between want and can't.
Aug 27, 2013 10:49 AM

Dec 2011
My mum says she sometimes can't read subs because she spends all the time watching the characters.
And when you get multiple things being said at the same time (and thus multiple subtitles on the screen at once) she can't work out who is saying what.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 27, 2013 10:50 AM

Sep 2011
in the case of the tatami galaxy, i can kind of understand where they are coming from

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 27, 2013 11:03 AM

Jul 2013
If I'm multitasking usually I find it hard to keep up with the subs. But I usually watch dubs > subs anyway. Some shows I just don't like the dub (Duarara!!!) so I watch it subbed but others like FLCL are done really well so I watch it dubbed.

+People might have disorders such as Dyslexia and it may cause trouble keeping up with it (depending on the severity).

Why do you care if someone says this though? Genuine question.
BBQ_ChickenAug 27, 2013 11:09 AM
Aug 27, 2013 11:09 AM

Jun 2013
To you dub lovers:
L said:
I think that this is the way we can lure Keeara out!

Rukkia said:
Not if Eechigow can stop them!

Naruhto said:
Zazoooookeeeeeee!

To you sub lovers:
Screen said:
Look at my fat text explaining a Japanese pun or saying "kun" or "san"!
Aug 27, 2013 11:23 AM

Aug 2012
Legit, still most of the times looks more like a poor excuse than the actual reason.
Aug 27, 2013 11:48 AM

Jul 2012
MajinSaga said:
It's not that I can't read subs while watching (after all, I was taking advanced English and reading classes since middle school), it's just I REALLY dislike Japanese voice acting. I don't like the ridiculous overacting, the grunts, the constant shouting, and especially the annoying high pitched voices.

P.S. I also don't like how they say san or chan or kun or whatever dumbass thing they say after someone's name. If some Jap ever put that at the end of my name, I'd make sure to correct that asshole and have him say my birth name again until he says it correctly.

you like anime but are completely adverse to some of their cultural norms?
Aug 27, 2013 11:51 AM

Oct 2010
daintybiscuit said:
MajinSaga said:

you like anime but are completely adverse to some of their cultural norms?

Is there a problem with that? I enjoy anime but I don't really care for Japanese culture.
Aug 27, 2013 11:56 AM

Dec 2012
depends on the subs, screen size/resolution, previous reading and or sub watching experience and also the position that your in when watching.

all can cause pretty bad annoyances

Aug 27, 2013 12:09 PM

Apr 2012
I haven't read through the entire thread yet so I'm unsure if it's been said already, but anyone who says that they cannot read the average anime sub fast enough is just uneducated.

Seriously, for most shows, there's at most two lines of text on-screen for perhaps a good 2-3 seconds. That's a long time to read an entire sentence (any native speaker should be able to read that amount in no more than a second, assuming they can read with any level of competence).

I certainly prefer dubs to subs, but not because I'm a retard. It's a thing called personal preference. Why are you attracted to girls (or guys)? Can you specifically tell me why your mind sees certain things as attractive and others as not while other people, upon seeing the exact same thing, can find the opposite to be true?

Granted, I certainly prefer certain shows in sub (Bakemonogatari, for instance, just doesn't work in a foreign language) and am certainly no dub elitist (though I can spot the sub elitists from the few posts I've seen so far *cough**cough*), but the excuse of not being able to read is a silly cop-out.

Also, to the OP, I've never seen anyone seriously make that statement except for two anti-waps that I can recall on the spot. So it strikes me odd that you would call such an excuse "common" as opposed to "a bullshit excuse I've heard a couple of times."

Aug 27, 2013 12:12 PM

Oct 2010
Forgetfulness said:
MajinSaga said:

Do you get pissed if an American said "Mr. -something something-" or "Mrs. -something something" as well? lol

The difference is that you use Mr. and Mrs. in formal situations. You don't exactly see me calling my friend Phil "Mr. Jones". The honorifics don't really bother me, but I can understand why someone may find it annoying.
Aug 27, 2013 12:41 PM

Aug 2009
Illiteracy.

Aug 27, 2013 12:43 PM

Jan 2012
do you think that the sub being better than the dub is legitimate?
Aug 27, 2013 1:38 PM

Mar 2013
dont you just find it hilarious that the vast majority of people who are hating dubs in this thread dont support anime in any way shape or form rely on the inferior fansubs instead of the superior official translation and dont speak more than a couple words of japanese?
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Aug 27, 2013 1:43 PM

Jun 2013
Most people here speak Japlang, many "illegal" subs are better than the official ones.

You were had.
Aug 27, 2013 1:48 PM

Mar 2013
Jyupita said:
Most people here speak Japlang, many "illegal" subs are better than the official ones.

You were had.

knowing 10 words of a languages does not mean you know the language. also do you speak japanese? or have proof that the official subs are bad? because i dont know about you but i will almost always trust the professionally made official translations over the amateur fan translations
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Aug 27, 2013 1:51 PM

Jun 2013
We have equal burdens of proof. The thing is, official subs are prone to errors.
Can't tell you where and when, however. I like anime like my eggs - raw.
Aug 27, 2013 1:52 PM

Aug 2012
mattbenz99 said:
Jyupita said:

You were had.

knowing 10 words of a languages does not mean you know the language. also do you speak japanese? or have proof that the official subs are bad? because i dont know about you but i will almost always trust the professionally made official translations over the amateur fan translations

Does counting counts? 1,2..100...1000..there you go, more than 10words!

No, now seriously, i believe Jyupita is right about Official translations not being always as accurate as they could be.
Aug 27, 2013 1:53 PM

Jun 2013
pokecenter said:
mattbenz99 said:
Jyupita said:

You were had.

No, now seriously, i believe Jyupita is right about Official translations not being always as accurate as they could be.

Believing that the official ones are always the best is like saying, "Hershes is better than all other chocolate makers because they are a well-known, official company"
YandereTheEmo said:
Aug 27, 2013 1:56 PM

Aug 2013
no_good_name said:
mitch3315 said:
no_good_name said:
For people who claim that i always wonder if they have ever tried to watch a normal subbed movie.
More fool them, they miss out or have to wait years for the useless dub companies to release their inferior crap.

And they miss out on great shows like Chihayafuru that don't have dubs.

Indeed, many great anime that is not aimed at kids or man children is never dubbed.
Why would you want to deny so much great anime just because you cant read?

*cough* cowboy bebop *cough* death note *cough* baccano *cough* fate zero *cough cough*
...I hate sub vs dub threads like these. If you like the dub, WATCH THE DUB. If you like the sub, WATCH THE SUB. I love a lot of dubs the same way I hate a lot of dubs. Is that so strange?
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Aug 27, 2013 1:57 PM

Mar 2013
pokecenter said:
mattbenz99 said:
Jyupita said:

You were had.

YandereTheEmo said:
pokecenter said:
mattbenz99 said:
Jyupita said:

You were had.

Believing that the official ones are always the best is like saying, "Hershes is better than all other chocolate makers because they are a well-known, official company"

the probability of getting good subs from an official company is sky high compared to the likelihood of getting good subs from a random fansubbing group. yes there are exceptions but 98% of fansub groups out there suck compared to the official subs.

Aug 27, 2013 2:00 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
StillSwingin007 said:
no_good_name said:
mitch3315 said:
no_good_name said:
For people who claim that i always wonder if they have ever tried to watch a normal subbed movie.
More fool them, they miss out or have to wait years for the useless dub companies to release their inferior crap.

And they miss out on great shows like Chihayafuru that don't have dubs.

Indeed, many great anime that is not aimed at kids or man children is never dubbed.
Why would you want to deny so much great anime just because you cant read?

*cough* cowboy bebop *cough* death note *cough* baccano *cough* fate zero *cough cough*
...I hate sub vs dub threads like these. If you like the dub, WATCH THE DUB. If you like the sub, WATCH THE SUB. I love a lot of dubs the same way I hate a lot of dubs. Is that so strange?
He said great not bad to good. And is that all?

if you think baccano wasnt great then you are retarded. no it is not the best but it is still great. also fullmetal alchemist (brotherhood) also have great dubs and are great shows

Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

76 by lostsymphonies »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Death Parade or Parasyte?

AnimeLover1289 - 27 minutes ago

7 by Phosphophyllita »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

32 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - Apr 27

8 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
11 minutes ago

» Best anime from Disney+?

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

21 by deg »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.