Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 5, 2013 9:49 PM

Sep 2012
Shinsekai yori- a very intricate and well planned out story. Will read the novel in the future.
Kuroko no baske- great soundtrack, animation and atmosphere
Apr 5, 2013 9:54 PM

Dec 2011
Upotte and A-Channel. Didn't expect to like them. They're both ecchi, yuri hints here and there, and slice of life.. all things that I generally don't enjoy, but I've liked them so far.
Apr 6, 2013 1:53 PM

Apr 2011
Not many shows surprised me from what I remember, but School Days did of course.
Apr 6, 2013 2:13 PM

Dec 2011
Spring season 2013 wise it is Zettai Bouei Leviathan.
Apr 6, 2013 2:53 PM

Aug 2012
Clannad--I got sucked in when the drama started.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 6, 2013 2:56 PM

Nov 2011
Sword Art Online.

Oh wait in a good way my bad :P
Apr 6, 2013 3:51 PM

Feb 2013
Ouran High School Host Club, I thought the first episode was so gay, but then I watched the rest of the series and now it's probably in my top 10

Squid Girl, I thought it was going to be stupid, but it turned out to have some really clever humor albeit very punny, plus the ending was heartwarming.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I thought it was going to be a generic magical girl anime, anyone who's seen it knows exactly how wrong I was

Hellsing; the whole Twilight franchise pretty much killed my interest in vampires, and once I heard Hellsing was about vampires I thought it was probably going to be lame, but it turned out to be just as awesome as all the classic vampire stories.
Apr 6, 2013 6:56 PM

Nov 2011
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate.

Looked like generic harem/ecchi/school. But I'll watch this because Kaori Mizuhashi. It turned out to be a decent and simple school/romance. Totally not boobs and pantyshots flying everywhere (though there was a bit of fanservice).
Apr 6, 2013 7:08 PM

Oct 2012
Probably Ano Hana. I've never been that big a fan of slice-of-life, but I knew that this anime is a lot of people's favorite. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.
Apr 6, 2013 7:52 PM
Aug 2012
Aku no Hana LOL!

Don't think I would have given this show a look in except for the shitstorm...hmm polarised opinions (storyline's potential is a bit too dark and depressing for my usual tastes). But, glad I did. Surprising. I'll see how it goes. First ep certainly left an impression.
toomuchcoffeeApr 6, 2013 7:57 PM
Apr 6, 2013 8:00 PM

Aug 2012
Probably Berserk.. I consistently saw it around the utubez, and finding myself bored I decided to check it out.
It looked like one of those 90's ultra-gore shit shows, but little did I know that I was about to watch one of the greatest arcs of all time.
Apr 6, 2013 8:02 PM

Sep 2010
Binbougami ga, and how it had a serious/cute plot in the end.
Apr 7, 2013 4:17 AM

Jun 2012
Rainbow.

Who knew a story about prison life would be so great lol.
Apr 7, 2013 6:20 AM
Jun 2012
one piece.

at first i thought one piece was a stupid anime for small kids, but after watching it i realize its the best thing ever and now i am madly in love with one piece.
Apr 7, 2013 6:35 AM

Mar 2013
Another
I expected it to be something. But it wasn't just something, it blowed my mind. First 5-6 episodes I was frightened like a little kid (watched them during the night :D), my heart beat like crazy. Until then i've never had such experience with anime.
"I believe in panties" ~ Shiina Mashiro
Apr 8, 2013 5:49 PM

Oct 2012
For me it's probably Bakuman. I put it off for the longest time thinking it wouldn't be anything special and then when I finally watched/read the manga it became my number one favourite.
Apr 8, 2013 6:23 PM
Apr 2013
Guilty Crown and Clannad After Story.
Apr 8, 2013 6:50 PM

Mar 2013
clannad!!! a year ago i found this anime by accident while trying to rewatch code geass and just wow first time i actually cried while watching an anime but it sure as hell wasnt the last time since then i have cried more often while watching anime. probably because that show made me rethink what genre of anime i watch. and if you dont like clannad i dont blame you even though it is my favorite anime ever i understand how over hyped this anime is and that can lead to un real expectations and ruin your experience that is why i am so happy i found it by accident
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 8, 2013 7:11 PM

Mar 2011
Higurashi and School Days

I watched way before I knew of MAL or researching anime. The twists surprised me, and that first arc of Higurashi. Just...damn.
Apr 8, 2013 10:35 PM

Mar 2013
Code Geass

I thought it was just gonna be another "Mech Anime"
But oh my god, it was amazing.
Someday soon the novelty of your personality will wear off and people will see you for the bore that you really are
Apr 9, 2013 12:05 AM

Dec 2012
The Monogatari series.

I watched Bakemonogatari just so that I could say I did, and I went into thinking it was just an overrated Vampire romance, and it turned out to be nothing of the sort. I was shocked to find that it lived up to all the hype, and delivered on all fronts. It's not my favorite anime, not by a long shot, but I thoroughly enjoyed, enough so to watch Nisemonogatari and Nekomonogatari: Kuro. I'll probably end up watching every installment of the Monogatari series, cause it's all good.

Other than that, I'd have to say... Cowboy Bebop. I started watching it knowing that it was good, and that I was going to like it... little did I know that it would be my favorite series, even to this day.

I guess I could say the same for most of my Top Five series, especially Brotherhood, which I hated at first, by the end it was within decimals of Bebop. Here's a list of my top five anime, because they all surprised me by surpassing my expectations:

5: Baccano!
4: Hellsing Ultimate
3: Gankutsuou
2: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
1: Cowboy Bebop
CNileApr 9, 2013 12:10 AM
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Apr 9, 2013 12:08 AM
Mar 2013
Baka to Test was a pleasant surprise for me. Concept of the school system was interesting, humor works most of the time, and there were only 2 girls that liked the MC.
Apr 9, 2013 12:33 AM

Jun 2012
Azumanga Daioh, Nyaruko-san, Seitokai Yakuindomo and Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru. I specifically remember liking these far more than I thought I was going to.
Apr 9, 2013 12:37 AM

Nov 2012
Fairy Tail... is not that bad, I'll wait until it's finished.
Apr 9, 2013 1:12 AM

Dec 2007
It took me years to finish Steins;Gate because I thought it was pretty slow. I couldn't get hooked at first. But ending was way awesome.
Apr 9, 2013 1:27 AM

Jul 2008
Shin Sekai Yori
It was a powerful and heart-wrenching ending.
Apr 9, 2013 5:50 AM

Jul 2010
madoka - well i wasn't expecting anything from this but it turned out quite different
tokyo magnitude -didn't expect the end for some reason
Apr 9, 2013 8:28 AM

Nov 2010
mofohobo said:
It is.
Apr 9, 2013 8:57 AM

Apr 2011
mofohobo said:

What date are you living in?
Apr 9, 2013 9:21 AM

Apr 2012
Katanagatari - at first glance the art style didn't appeal to me at all and as a result i put this show off for quite some time, but when i finally decided to give it a chance i was hooked almost instantaneously. the animation also far exceeded my expectations and after a while the art style i wasn't fond of to begin with really grew on me; now it's one of my favorite series to date.

Shinsekai Yori - i wasn't too sure what to expect of this show going in. at the time i was just looking for an anime to pass the time with and saw the shinsekai yori thumbnail whilst browsing crunchyroll so i started watching the first episode; ended up marathoning more than half the series just that night. i think what it was that really kept me coming back each episode was the world building. i really fell in love with their flawed (without spoiling anything i guess you could call it that) society

and lastly one that's been getting A LOT of attention recently:

Shingeki no Kyojin - i don't normally follow simulcasts so this season i decided i'd pick out a couple shows that somewhat interested me and follow them episode for episode until they're finished (since normally i can't stand waiting for new episodes and tend to plow through a series in only a couple sittings). animation was top notch, premise as well as setting is very interesting, atmosphere was perfect, art was great and the titans were disturbing as hell (that eerie smile the titan has in the last few scenes, especially when the dude tries to confront him and ultimately bails out of fear.. wow)
kurselaxApr 9, 2013 9:37 AM
"I’m just watching a bad dream I never wake up from."
Apr 9, 2013 9:39 AM

Dec 2012
Zetsuen no tempest

After the 4 to 5 first episodes I was like " well, it's interesting and good and all " but it didn't really give me that feeling series like Death note gave me..but then towards the end of the first arc I was totally hooked..it's so unpredictable and quite smart. Hope it stays that way..
Insert wise quote here
Apr 9, 2013 10:32 AM

Aug 2012
Kuroko no Basket.
I actually really don't like sports anime's.
But this one just suprised me, I was screaming during some episodes and on the edge of my chair when they played a game. And even cried. I really loved it, and I can't wait for season 2. (:

Code Geass.
I started completly blind with this anime.. I actually didn't know shit about it. I only knew there was Mecha in it, what I actually hate. I was just suprissed and shocked at the end of the serie. I had never thought I would love this serie this much.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

16 by FanofAction »»
28 seconds ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by LostSpectre »»
3 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

60 by LostSpectre »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

71 by 23feanor »»
7 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

26 by FanofAction »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.