Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 26, 2012 12:06 PM

Jan 2012
Let me just say this the whole anime was pretty good until the last 5-10 minutes of the anime. It was just total bullshit.

spoiler---

So the main character Kouichi has this whole big relationship with hoshino and things go perfectly with them and for some reason the anime fucking made them just randomly break up to pair them up with another person.

I am like wtf is this? It made absolutely no sense. Mao I can understand she had feelings for the Kouichi but throughout the whole anime the Kouichi thought of them as nothing more than friends but they still end up together for some odd reason. Its just utterly dumb. I mean maybe Kouichi had some feelings for mao but not to the extent of it being greater than hoshino.

Who else thought the ending was really bad?

I guess you could call it a bit realistic because its young love and usually people just spout out stuff about love but in reality its nothing more than curiosity.
Feb 26, 2012 12:27 PM

Sep 2011
The ending was awesome.

You stated he showed some interest but we never know how much he really did like her. I thought it was pretty clear he was holding back to begin with. Even though I didn't agree with his decision, I thought the ending was good anyway.
Feb 26, 2012 1:16 PM

Jun 2009
I don't remember much about the show, except that I actually quite liked it but absolutely hated the final pairing.
Also, this will be moved to the series sub forum.
Feb 26, 2012 2:59 PM

Aug 2010
The whole show was pretty good but the ending pairings were crap.
Feb 27, 2012 10:08 AM

Nov 2009
Just finished a review on it. I'm not quite as nice as the top reviewers for it are.

Brutally honest on it from my point of view at least.
Feb 27, 2012 10:15 AM

Dec 2010
You could try the manga which took the omnibus format and every heroine gets her route.
Mar 20, 2012 7:45 PM

Sep 2008
just go and watch amagami for that, this ending for this anime (which i started an finished today) was perfectly predictable! all of it, except maybe....the class rep and hiiragi.....

it was ok, it wasnt a clannad after story, but was enough to remember it for a while
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Apr 19, 2012 6:56 AM
Feb 2011
lol i can't stand to watch this after reading the manga. I love the style of different arcs with a different heroine every time to ensure there is a happy ending since he essentially has a happy ending with every girl. I don't like it as much how this anime added in characters to make it one continuous story that adds so much extra drama. The original story for each heroine was still dramatic but only focuses on one heroine at a time and it's much more satisfying how each arc ends since it's purely about their relationship
Jul 3, 2012 8:12 PM

Apr 2009
why don't they make this anime like Amagami?
Jul 16, 2012 12:28 PM

May 2012
CloudValkyrie said:
why don't they make this anime like Amagami?

I agree, it would have been much better by using that format. I just finished the manga and I was really sure that they were gonna use that same format for the anime however I was severely disappointed. Now don't get me wrong its a good anime but its not as good as is could have been.
Nov 14, 2012 5:56 PM
Oct 2012
rupok93 said:
Let me just say this the whole anime was pretty good until the last 5-10 minutes of the anime. It was just total bullshit.

spoiler---

So the main character Kouichi has this whole big relationship with hoshino and things go perfectly with them and for some reason the anime fucking made them just randomly break up to pair them up with another person.

I am like wtf is this? It made absolutely no sense. Mao I can understand she had feelings for the Kouichi but throughout the whole anime the Kouichi thought of them as nothing more than friends but they still end up together for some odd reason. Its just utterly dumb. I mean maybe Kouichi had some feelings for mao but not to the extent of it being greater than hoshino.

Who else thought the ending was really bad?

Pretty much agree with you. Also, agree with this review excerpt from Riptos' review:

Ravid25Nov 14, 2012 6:08 PM
Jan 15, 2013 7:46 AM
Jan 2013
I just finished watching all 24 episodes and wanted to post my opinion here on MAL about Kimikiss: Pure Rouge. I think the ending was appropriate for both Kouichi and Kazuki.

Kouichi had latent feelings for Mao since they were kids. It wasn't until after she returned and they started spending time together he started to realize what he felt for her was more than just friendship. I found the moment when Mao moved out and gave back the book to Kouichi very cathartic. She took the book away from him as kids so he wouldn't cry anymore over it. By getting it back, he was able to release his pent up emotions for Mao, helping him realize how much he loved her. That awakening and realization did not occur however until he was pretty far along in his relationship with Yuumi unfortunately and it started to interfere more visibly with his relationship with her.

His interaction with Kai during the cultural festival about how he looked like Mao - there in body, but not in spirit - made Kouichi reflect on what he was doing to Yuumi by not being honest with her about his feelings about Mao.

I am inspired by Yuumi during the breakup scene. She was so strong and didn't cry at all, but I am sure was very heartbroken. However, this may be the best for her because she is transferring to a new school and will start fresh with new friends thanks to her new found confidence gained by spending time with Kouichi and the rest of the group.

I felt bad for Mao, trying not to let her feelings for Kouichi cause her to interfere with his relationship with Yuumi. She loved him and it hurt her to act like nothing was wrong. She tried to make a relationship with Kai and even went as far as moving out of Kouichi's home in order to keep herself from creating problems. The movie kiss scene was incredible. The movie plot was really all about Kouichi's repressed feelings for Mao and the acting (was it really?) between the two during the kiss scene was deep from the heart. While some of the not so obvious didn't catch what was happening, Yuumi and Akira knew what was happening. What I wish I knew was how many of those lines were in the script or ad-libbed? How much of it came from the heat of the moment versus just a canned exchange? Powerful scene and a precursor of what was to come.

The moment when Kouichi confessed his love to Mao on the bridge was extremely emotional. Mao attempted to be stoic, telling him to go back to Yuumi, which hurt her deeply to say. Kouichi's admission how he was lying to everyone about his true feelings and how he didn't want to hurt anybody else and how he wasn't ever going to let her go (flash back to probably emotional feelings due to Mao leaving for France?) caused Mao to break down, exposing how she was hurting inside watching Kouichi brought catharsis to both of them as they confessed their love one more time and *really* kissed. Every time I go back to watch that strong emotional exchange, it brings tears to my eyes...

---

While I thought that Kazuki and Asuka would have been a nice couple, their relationship was very strange. Since they were more friends and teased each other all the time, it would take a while before they come to a conclusion if they are more than just friends. If she had been a little more aggressive with him about how she felt, she would have ended up with him. However, I found her confession and kiss very touching and I know that she is another strong character who would find a guy would would appreciate her.

Kazuki's initial meeting with Eriko and her boldness giving him his first kiss captivated him to trying to understand this girl. They fact that she had such a sheltered life, being extremely smart, not living a childhood like other kids, and apparently being alone most of the time due to her father travelling (not sure where mom was...) left her confused and lonely. Fear of loss when you get emotionally involved with someone can really mess someone up, and her reactions/responses were dead on. It was nice to see her face her fears and break down in front of Kazuki, opening up to someone and bare her soul to them. And (no) thanks to Mao, she was able to realize that Asuka also had feelings for Kazuki and her insecurities automatically made her push away because she feared he would leave her for Asuka. Kazuki's confession to Eriko was sincere and reassuring, her response was sincere and very emotional.

So I think the way things ended up was appropriate and emotionally satisfying. Love isn't easy, it doesn't always end happily when one or both parties are heavily invested in the relationship. Some people who experience joy are hurt while others finally experience joy after being hurt. We have to take that experience and make the best of it and keep moving forward.

After watching a fansub of this show, I put in an order for the collection so I can keep it in my archive because I enjoyed it that much.
Nov 28, 2015 3:57 AM
Nov 2015
Crap end man
Nov 28, 2015 4:10 AM

Jun 2013
Well yeah, that's one downside. Problem is that they didn't have one more farewell episode, which I always found sad. Ending was set up really nicely, they just didn't give it enough screen time.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Apr 17, 2016 10:18 AM
Apr 2016
To be honest i think this Anine would have been much better if mao and kouchi would have ended up togheter earlier couse i wanted Them to end up togheter
Jan 7, 2017 10:29 PM

Mar 2015
I agree the ending for Koichi wasn't "bad" but I would call it "highly undesirable" based on what was established early in the series.

The series spends a lot of time developing Koichi and Yuumi's relationship and the fountain scene where she tells Koichi she's leaving and Koichi is like "I'll get a job and come to see you" was a great scene which really sold their relationship as legit. There were no scenes where Koichi and Mao's relationship deepened in a romantic sense. The only reason that Koichi likes Mao is because they were childhood friends and that's it honestly. At least Mao likes Koichi because he's nice to her.

So somewhere in the story Mao suddenly starts acting all emo because she comes to realize that she likes Koichi and shouldn't interfere with his relationship which causes Koichi to get all emo (which Yuumi picks up on and doesn't ever seem to want to touch on). Koichi then realizes he likes Mao and goes to confess to Mao who seems to already have accepted that she and Koichi weren't meant to be and they both profess their love for each other. Really?

At least everyone who got rejected in the show took it really well.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 11, 2017 1:36 PM

Sep 2013
it had to happen that way because that was the pairing that was supposed to happen in the end. But it happened so suddenly and they had a perfect relationship so it made no sense. The guy acted clueless even after she confessed, just lol.
Feb 22, 2019 2:47 AM
Sep 2016
Why do you guys keep saying why wouldn't just make it like amagami? you do know kimikiss was released first than amagami -_-
Apr 17, 2019 8:37 AM
Feb 2017
Looks like I am not the only one who was shocked by this ending eh. While it is still somewhat possible regarding Kouichi's decision, they could have at least showed it not at the very last episode. There's just no room for cooling off.

But in the grand scheme of things, the chances of Kouichi coming to a decision as harsh as this was in all honesty quite nonsensical. You mean to tell me he was willing to just give up on a crush he had for almost two years, while at the same time, he couldn't even recognise Mao when she first arrived? In fact, there was no indication of Kouichi having feelings for Mao until Mao showed signs of affection while attempting to kiss him.

Is his love for Yuumi really that shallow? It would have made a lot more sense if he had just talked things out with Yuumi about his feelings for Mao but then they somehow reconciled and move on.

I don't know man. Maybe I am just bumped out by that conclusion I guess. Well, at least the arc focusing on Kazuki ended on a satisfying note. Haha... I need some time out. 😑
Jan 23, 2020 8:27 PM

Aug 2017
notsureifsrs said:
You could try the manga which took the omnibus format and every heroine gets her route.
That sounds terrific, I love those.

Mao is better than Houshino. She's prettier, more fun and more charming.

I didn't like Futami beating Sakino though. Kazuki is an idiot for picking her.
May 12, 2021 12:38 AM
May 2021
The ending was somewhat ok
But this anime is not every thing they just showed us one route
So that means every heroine as a successful route and happy ending.
That's what i think
Sep 11, 2021 9:02 AM

Jan 2013
So hypothetically if I were to watch this, could I stop 10 minutes into the last episode to avoid the last minute bullshit and just pretend the anime is over?
And afterwards I could just read the manga or something since it looks like the VN doesn't have an English TL.
Jan 10, 2022 4:22 PM

Apr 2013
I still can’t figure out how people did not see it coming, in this post a lot of you say it is sudden. But like where you on your phones or something?

Because very early in the story it was really obvious Mao and Kouchi were into each other imo. They were always looking at each other from the start, but afraid due to the longtime friends aspect of their relationship thus they pushed each other away and pretended to cheer for them. (Mao getting into Kai was very clearly her running from her feelings for Kouchi it’s all over her face, and pretty well animated in that aspect)

From an adult view it’s like looking back on our teenage angst lol, and the inability to deal with emotions as they develop in this stage and are pretty new.

There was nothing weird about the ending and could’ve been predicted since early in. Also thank god they didn’t go with an Amagami platform, i hate that shit as it takes away from the characters and story just to please fans of a certain character, i drop shows like it in a heartbeat.
Feb 11, 2022 8:23 AM

Oct 2020
I'm happy with Kouichi and Mao. But still it doesn't fair ending for Hoshino. I usually don't really care about girl who loss in romance anime, but this time i fell really sorry for Hoshino. She is not doing anything wrong. She tried everything she could to stay with Kouichi.

I personally more interested in Kazuki's relationship than Kouichi's. My favorite girl is also Futami.

But i have to admit that Hoshino is objectively the best girl of the series. Poor girl.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi-kiss ~ pure rouge Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

radiantfire - Mar 22, 2008

215 by Dapu »»
Mar 20, 9:21 AM

Poll: » Kimi-kiss ~ pure rouge Episode 23 Discussion

radiantfire - Mar 15, 2008

47 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 7, 2023 6:59 PM

Poll: » Kimi-kiss ~ pure rouge Episode 22 Discussion

radiantfire - Mar 8, 2008

39 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 7, 2023 6:18 PM

Poll: » Kimi-kiss ~ pure rouge Episode 21 Discussion

radiantfire - Mar 1, 2008

32 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 7, 2023 5:40 PM

Poll: » Kimi-kiss ~ pure rouge Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

radiantfire - Feb 23, 2008

61 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 7, 2023 1:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.