Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2011 6:34 PM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
God I hated this episode. Every single scene, actually. The cliched girl slams into boy, the beautiful day inspiring a kinder look on the world, that fucking tomato scene, the dumbfuck son with lines like "U CAGED HIM!! *slits wrists*" and "stealing is wrong! wahwah imma bitch", the dumbfuck father who has his very late revelations (about obvious thing) in the car after speaking with Keaton the wisdom dispenser, and even Yuriko's 4-year-old dialogue.

And the hawk metaphor omg it was so lame. Spreading wings, really? dammit

I won't stop watching just for this. Just going to hope it never happens again

EDIT: lol nevermind. it wasn't that bad when I think about it.
thisiodfklnJul 6, 2011 4:58 PM
Jul 15, 2011 10:05 AM

Sep 2008
It was actually pretty decent. Emoness aside, I can pretty much relate to this episode; the hawk metaphor was spot on. Another great ep
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 5, 2012 5:42 AM

Oct 2006
I like this episode, a positive look for one's life, have fun. Good reminder.
I will rock your world ;-)

Jan 7, 2013 5:49 PM

May 2010
Yay Yoriko
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 22, 2015 3:23 AM

Mar 2008
As cheesy as this episode was, Yuriko's upbeat character and Kuwashima's voice managed to cover it up with charm.

It was also interesting to hear the Kamiya Hiroshi of 15 years ago - his cry near the end was quite literally laughable. How far he's come now!
Jul 21, 2016 12:57 AM

Oct 2014
Ckan said:
It was also interesting to hear the Kamiya Hiroshi of 15 years ago - his cry near the end was quite literally laughable. How far he's come now!
Hahaah, literally this. Considering we hear him now in every next seasonal anime, I was laughing my ass off when the boy was crying.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 3, 2018 1:41 AM

Jul 2008
What a dumb kid...when you don't speak up, then nothing changes.
May 31, 2020 11:09 AM
Dec 2019
Yeah it's kind of cheesy, but at the same time, I can understand that some people's personalities are really that uptight and that leads to disaster under certain circumstances. Thinking back, I think I should've cut class a few times in high school.
Jun 6, 2020 1:29 PM

Jun 2007
so he wasn't forced to go to med school but he felt like he was... this sucks but doesn't sound enough to kill your dad for
thisiodfkln said:
God I hated this episode. Every single scene, actually. The cliched girl slams into boy, the beautiful day inspiring a kinder look on the world, that fucking tomato scene, the dumbfuck son with lines like "U CAGED HIM!! *slits wrists*" and "stealing is wrong! wahwah imma bitch", the dumbfuck father who has his very late revelations (about obvious thing) in the car after speaking with Keaton the wisdom dispenser, and even Yuriko's 4-year-old dialogue.

And the hawk metaphor omg it was so lame. Spreading wings, really? dammit

I won't stop watching just for this. Just going to hope it never happens again

EDIT: lol nevermind. it wasn't that bad when I think about it.

ahahaha this got me rolling!!!!
see you, space cowperson . . .
Oct 18, 2021 6:35 PM

Jun 2010
Big pile of platitudes and it even has to explain them directly; "Maybe he saw himself as the hawk and our expectations as the cage that suffocated hm." Just awful shallow stuff.
Oct 26, 2021 7:22 PM

Oct 2014
lmao I loved the look on Yuriko's face when Funase just dropped the bombs out of no where that he wanted to kill his dad and himself >,<

But the take away from this episode has to be hearing Shinji's voice from a random side character in an 80's anime xD I mean holy shit talk about unexpected. I checked immediately after the episode just to be sure and man this guy loves to play pathetic characters ^^
Dec 12, 2021 10:54 PM

Feb 2020
Good episode. Very relatable, both shinsuke and yuriko perspective and the invisible pressure which society has on u as well as the self pressure u put urself in.

Though the lines (like killing my dad) was being too obvious. But based on the reaction in comment section, eng dubs are working like charm I guess
AdampkDec 12, 2021 11:13 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 27, 2023 2:47 PM
Feb 2020
Especially because of the last two eps. I've lowered my rating for the series thus far, from a 9 to an 8.

I hope the writing picks up after this. Because this was generic unoriginal ham fisted writing which made for a gruelling viewing experience. I was actually hoping this would be an improvement from Ep 18. Which was a dip in form. And then they followed it up with an unsubtle af PSA (Public Safety Announcement) Episode.

Understandable considering there probably was concern over the suicide rate in Japan. It is true that young people are some times under incredible pressure of expectation.

Well they got the message out there and they made it clear and easy to remember. The writers who worked on this series had the talent to get this message through inside a stronger story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 21 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 7, 2011

11 by Punkero »»
Apr 24, 3:05 PM

» I like what I see but doesn't this show feel a tad boring?

anizawa89 - Apr 18

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
Apr 19, 7:19 AM

» Does its anime include ova fully adapt manga till the end ?

ISeeLifePeople - Jan 30

1 by JX-78-2 »»
Jan 30, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 24 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 11, 2011

10 by A1E1BA »»
Jan 14, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 14 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Sep 3, 2009

17 by A1E1BA »»
Jan 7, 8:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.