Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Nov 14, 2017 10:01 PM

Dec 2009
Even though his death was spoiled via a random youtube video (I no longer watch that person's videos), watching the struggle to save Ace and then to have him die anyway was heartbreaking.

I find a little bit of comfort via the fact that he died free of shackles and knowing that his life meant something and that there were a lot of people that loved him. In a way he died saving his brother's life and not by beheading like his father (even if it was his choice to turn himself in and die that way)

May 5, 2018 1:21 PM
Dec 2016
I knew. I knew what was about to go down. I knew ace would die.
I'm still crying like a baby ;-;

p.s sad Garp didn't go berserk on Akainu tho it was only logical
May 14, 2018 1:23 PM

Mar 2017
i wanna die after watching this ep again

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Oct 14, 2018 8:18 AM

Jul 2016
I thought he would survive but we got... That. It hurt so much and I couldn't stop crying. Luffy's expression was the worst T_T
Nov 21, 2018 2:25 AM
Jul 2018
Glad garp didnt kill him. Fiction wasn't ready to witness such slaughter
Feb 17, 2019 4:12 PM
Dec 2016
"The one reason I wanna keep living is to see you fulfill your dreams" - Ace

This hit me pretty hard.
May 4, 2019 6:32 PM

Jun 2016
He died happy. Ace's whole life wasn't unlike Robin's. Unwanted. Unloved. Hated for his blood and alone. He was constantly picking fights, and constantly trying to find justification for his existence. He wanted to know if he even deserved the privilege of life. This war wasn't meaningless. As freaking disgusting as it all was, it's why Ace cried of happiness during it. This was the answer to him. So many people love and will fight for him, Whitebeard taught him that his blood doesn't matter and fought for him as his father despite him being the son of an enemy. Luffy pushed himself to near death time and time again. They didn't save Ace but at least he was able to die happy. Thank you, everyone. This was one of my favorite episodes of the entire series hands down. Last episode was shock, but this one was tears running down my face the entire time. Wow, wow, wow. I didn't know if they could make me love Ace as he was a small role until Summit War but this is a tearful, tragic, but beautiful climax to a story that has been ongoing since Alabasta. Oda you are amazing.

I had thought the death of Ace would be the final nail in the New World coffin, the solidifying fact that Luffy could not make it out here, he couldn't save his friends, and he couldn't save Ace. But, while it still holds that meaning, it ended up far happier than I would have thought. Far more beautiful while still being absolutely freaking tragic and repulsive. This is an emotion I have not felt from animanga and that is something worth celebrating.

More than Ace's story the reactions were what made this. Garp furiously walking to kill Akainu for ending his sons life and asking Sengoku to hold him down aware he cannot control himself in regards to the man who killed his boy. Luffy's absolute helplessness with him denying the fact of the matter, telling Ace to stop saying he'll die, and demanding anyone help him despite the fact that no healing hormone will push Ace to coming back from this. Luffy ultimately no longer doing any form of subdued tears but wailing like a baby in this state of absolute helplessness. Another notable reaction that broke me down was Whitebeard's tears. This was masterful and the way the battle froze to a halt around them illuminated how much Ace meant to everyone. I think the fact that they all came together to save Ace, freeing Marco from the cuffs, Jimbei delaying the inevitable, all before Ace died anyways really rubbed how sad this was in. All because of one slip up where Ace lost control to anger.

And to touch more on how this will affect Luffy, think about how Zoro refused to let Luffy know that he took on all of Luffy's own pain. He would never want Luffy to know he nearly died for his sake but now someone Luffy loves just died in his arms for Luffy's sake. You know how Luffy yelled at Blackbeard to "try and kill me now" when Blackbeard told him that Ace died for his sake, even back in Impel Down. The idea alone broke Luffy and now the worst case has come to fruition. Like Zoro, Luffy now has a beloved fallen friend that he has to fulfil his dream for, it's not just you anymore Zoro, Ace blessed Luffy going forward. I'm broken from the beauty and horror of this scene. Like I said, this was going to be a notable moment for Luffy and for now he's just taking in that he couldn't even save his one brother he took yet another energy injection to save. Freaking, oh my gosh. Luffy.. Garp.. Whitebeard... Everyone.. This is so hard for them.

Now what. Where can Luffy go from here. Can everyone actually run now that their comrade Ace has died by Akainu's hands? Luffy was fighting for Ace and like against Kuma I'm concerned not even his anger may push him to fight or run anymore, will he just be resigned? Will momma Ivan and daddy Jimbei have to save him? I don't know, but this is a moment that will impact everyone here forever.

Somehow Garp's furious walk to Akainu is the part that gave me the most chills. I'm furious, shocked, destroyed, sad, happy, and overwhelmed by disgust and beauty. This was phenomenal, I've heard people say the death of x isn't as good as the death of Ace countless times but I now see that this episode was not overrated at all. I guess my last thought is that the montage of everything that proved to Ace that his life was meaningful was so powerful, I loved the music choice.
May 4, 2019 7:04 PM

Nov 2012
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
He died happy. Ace's whole life wasn't unlike Robin's. Unwanted. Unloved. Hated for his blood and alone. He was constantly picking fights, and constantly trying to find justification for his existence. He wanted to know if he even deserved the privilege of life. This war wasn't meaningless. As freaking disgusting as it all was, it's why Ace cried of happiness during it. This was the answer to him. So many people love and will fight for him, Whitebeard taught him that his blood doesn't matter and fought for him as his father despite him being the son of an enemy. Luffy pushed himself to near death time and time again. They didn't save Ace but at least he was able to die happy. Thank you, everyone. This was one of my favorite episodes of the entire series hands down. Last episode was shock, but this one was tears running down my face the entire time. Wow, wow, wow. I didn't know if they could make me love Ace as he was a small role until Summit War but this is a tearful, tragic, but beautiful climax to a story that has been ongoing since Alabasta. Oda you are amazing.

I had thought the death of Ace would be the final nail in the New World coffin, the solidifying fact that Luffy could not make it out here, he couldn't save his friends, and he couldn't save Ace. But, while it still holds that meaning, it ended up far happier than I would have thought. Far more beautiful while still being absolutely freaking tragic and repulsive. This is an emotion I have not felt from animanga and that is something worth celebrating.

More than Ace's story the reactions were what made this. Garp furiously walking to kill Akainu for ending his sons life and asking Sengoku to hold him down aware he cannot control himself in regards to the man who killed his boy. Luffy's absolute helplessness with him denying the fact of the matter, telling Ace to stop saying he'll die, and demanding anyone help him despite the fact that no healing hormone will push Ace to coming back from this. Luffy ultimately no longer doing any form of subdued tears but wailing like a baby in this state of absolute helplessness. Another notable reaction that broke me down was Whitebeard's tears. This was masterful and the way the battle froze to a halt around them illuminated how much Ace meant to everyone. I think the fact that they all came together to save Ace, freeing Marco from the cuffs, Jimbei delaying the inevitable, all before Ace died anyways really rubbed how sad this was in. All because of one slip up where Ace lost control to anger.

And to touch more on how this will affect Luffy, think about how Zoro refused to let Luffy know that he took on all of Luffy's own pain. He would never want Luffy to know he nearly died for his sake but now someone Luffy loves just died in his arms for Luffy's sake. You know how Luffy yelled at Blackbeard to "try and kill me now" when Blackbeard told him that Ace died for his sake, even back in Impel Down. The idea alone broke Luffy and now the worst case has come to fruition. Like Zoro, Luffy now has a beloved fallen friend that he has to fulfil his dream for, it's not just you anymore Zoro, Ace blessed Luffy going forward. I'm broken from the beauty and horror of this scene. Like I said, this was going to be a notable moment for Luffy and for now he's just taking in that he couldn't even save his one brother he took yet another energy injection to save. Freaking, oh my gosh. Luffy.. Garp.. Whitebeard... Everyone.. This is so hard for them.

Now what. Where can Luffy go from here. Can everyone actually run now that their comrade Ace has died by Akainu's hands? Luffy was fighting for Ace and like against Kuma I'm concerned not even his anger may push him to fight or run anymore, will he just be resigned? Will momma Ivan and daddy Jimbei have to save him? I don't know, but this is a moment that will impact everyone here forever.

Somehow Garp's furious walk to Akainu is the part that gave me the most chills. I'm furious, shocked, destroyed, sad, happy, and overwhelmed by disgust and beauty. This was phenomenal, I've heard people say the death of x isn't as good as the death of Ace countless times but I now see that this episode was not overrated at all. I guess my last thought is that the montage of everything that proved to Ace that his life was meaningful was so powerful, I loved the music choice.

Exactly 400 episodes needed to catch up.
May 19, 2019 6:26 PM
May 2019
Okay Okay i’m so confused on how he even died like isn’t he the logia type devil fruit so shouldn’t it just turn to fire like the bullets did i’m really not understanding or did the admiral use haki? did i miss something did they leave this part out ? pls send help and what the heck is that little red ball rolling around.
Dec 26, 2019 9:33 PM
Sep 2018
sorry if my opinion isn´t popular, but why?
why kill a character with that carisma and so few backstory?
during the war was the all ace development in the serie, all we have from ace is that, and what is the lesson there?
even if luffy sacrifice himself in all the possibly ways, he couldnt save his brother, and we have the defeating of the mugiwara in shabondy archipielago, why make the shirohiges death with no sense.
sorry but i didnt like so much tis arc.
Mar 15, 2020 5:33 AM

Nov 2018
I've been spoiled about Ace's death before watching One Piece, but BRUH that's so fucking sad, probably the saddest and emotional episode yet.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
May 6, 2020 4:46 PM

Apr 2018
Even though I knew this is going to happen because of spoilers it still hitting me hard 😭😭
May 28, 2020 2:26 AM
Jul 2018
this entire episode shattered my heart even though i was already spoiled. the way the light faded from his eyes..:(
Aug 25, 2020 6:23 PM

May 2020
Fuck... why did it have to end like this?

I've had a lot of One Piece spoiled for me but I'm lucky that Ace's death wasn't one of them.

I kinda expected it however, but I didn't expect it to happen like this.
sk8headAug 25, 2020 6:48 PM
Aug 25, 2020 6:41 PM

Mar 2017
holy shit... the scene where luffy is crying at the end..

fvck man y did it hv to be like this
Sep 27, 2020 6:47 PM

Mar 2013
Even though this was actually (unfortunately) spoiled for me it still hurt and made me shed a tear. Watching it in 2020 and it being nearly a decade since he died on screen just be like that I guess.

As soon as I learned he was Roger's biological son I realised it was Oda foreshadowing Ace's eventual demise, he even died with a smile. Poor Luffy. He must feel so, so helpless - first he couldn't protect his friends and now he lost his only brother.
Oct 11, 2020 10:40 AM

May 2016
With Ace's unfortunate demise, the only things left in the hearts of the ones he regarded as family were bitter feelings of utter regret and hatred for the bastard who murdered him. Avenging him would be one thing but he probably would've liked it more if everyone escaped safely instead since he was already grateful enough towards them for how they tried to save him.

Oct 20, 2020 11:08 AM
Oct 2020
Unforgettable episode, Ace's death. The divider!
Nov 4, 2020 8:41 AM

Sep 2019
R.I.P. Ace. Never thought I would cry this much.
Nov 25, 2020 1:18 PM
Nov 2019
This has to be the saddest episode of One Piece I've seen. I cried 3 times. Seeing Garp walking , ready to take out Akainu, really got to me. He's had to balance out being a marine hero with caring for his pirate grandchildren and seeing Ace killed made him mad enough to risk throwing out his legacy to kill Akainu.

Next, seeing all the flashbacks and Ace crying, I had to pause for a bit. Ace telling Luffy and really everyone "Thank you for loving me!", really hit hard. He's had a rough childhood and I'm glad he had family that was there to support him. Whitebeard crying got to me as well, He waged this war and lost many other sons to successfully free Ace and it was all for naught. Ace is gone, Whitebeard is barely hanging in there and who knows what condition Luffy is in T_T.

On a side note, I really enjoy how useful Mr. 3 has been. He's helped free prisoners and Luffy from Impel Down. He's helped almost save Ace and also helped free Marco. I appreciate Oda bringing back older characters and making them relevant. It really rewards long time watchers/readers.
Feb 19, 2021 9:24 PM
Jan 2019
The logic behind Akainu's power, "lava burns fire", makes no sense and it was even ironic that it killed Ace. He died for less.
Ace was a great idiot when he succumbed to Akainu's provocation, and it's amazing how so many people died and suffered to save him so he could die in such a stupid way.
I received so many spoilers of it that this event just didn't impact me, it was only irritating because it was a scene mounted on top of many holes and winding. That made me drop the One Piece rating to 6/10.
There were a lot of script holes in that arc, I would love to make a future and detailed list of so many plot holes. I would make a book out of it. From the inaction of the Marine soldiers, including the Admirals, to the moments when everyone is a spectator on the battlefield.
Oda simply tried to create a war and made a terrible execution of it. He made me really not care about Ace's death when I was supposed to care.

A lógica por trás do poder do Akainu, "lava queima o fogo", não fez sentido e foi até irônico que isso matou Ace. Ele morreu por menos.
Ace foi um grande idiota ao sucumbir pela provocação do Akainu, e é incrível como tanta gente morreu e sofreu para salvá-lo para ele morrer de uma maneira tão burra.
Recebi tantos spoilers disso que esse acontecimento simplesmente não foi impactante para mim, só foi irritante por ser uma cena montada em cima de muitos furos e enrolação. Isso me fez diminuir a nota de One Piece para 6/10.
Foram muitos furos de roteiro nesse arco, eu adoraria fazer uma lista futura e detalhada de tantos furos. Eu faria um livro só com isso. Desde a falta de ação dos soldados da Marinha, incluindo os Almirantes, até os momentos onde todo mundo é espectador no campo de batalha.
Oda simplesmente tentou criar uma guerra e fez uma péssima execução disso. Ele fez eu realmente não me importar com a morte do Ace quando eu deveria.
brunnomenxaFeb 19, 2021 9:38 PM
Mar 19, 2021 8:58 PM
Jul 2016
Okay the way Ace died was so stupid!
He was this cool character but he had to die the most stupid death ever.

So many people died to save him and Shirohige said that he will die to save everyone, still he had to let himself get provocated when everyone was pleading Ace to just run away.

He could have honoured Shirohige by living. But he had to die, making the death of his comrades useless and unnecessarily making Luffy guilty of his death.

I was sad but I cried harder when Merry was burned or when Brook came to know about Laboon..

Just poor writing is what I think. I have no problem with a main character dying. Just the execution was so bad. Oda Sensei needed a war arc and wanted Ace dead which is fine. But the execution, terrible.

I hope the next episodes redeem what has a mess this has caused.

Edit: Okay I watched the next episodes, and I take back what I said about poor writing of Oda sensei. I am sad about Ace dying, but that is how he is... I am over it now because I got closer. Rest in Piece Ace.
UzumakiHimeJun 28, 2021 10:12 PM
May 30, 2021 12:46 PM

Jun 2019
Man...this is just painful however many times I watch it. I cry like a fuckin' bitch. T_T
Jun 2, 2021 8:48 AM

Dec 2020
RIP ace :(
He wasn't even my favorite character but it was to sad :(

People with boobs > people with no boobs.

My lemons > ur lemons
Please just send to profile ^^
Jun 4, 2021 10:11 PM
May 2012
Invoked so much emotion, cried so much.
Jul 10, 2021 11:45 PM

Dec 2012
Akainu deserves to die.
Whitebeard got punched by him too wtf

Aug 13, 2021 1:55 PM

Aug 2021
Whole ep went through tears and chills
omg I love one Piece
Sep 24, 2021 8:00 AM
Aug 2020
Cried for this episode :((
Dec 29, 2021 11:42 PM
Mar 2015
I knew it was coming, but was not emotionally prepared. Ace :(
Mar 31, 2022 3:38 AM
Jul 2018
this is truly one of the saddest episode of one piece I really cried during the episode Ace died but he got his answer at the end luffy crying and screaming is just too sad
removed-userJun 6, 2022 5:11 AM
May 19, 2022 12:54 PM
Dec 2015
Most of the time I am at peace with character deaths, but this isn't one of them. Such a long, often drawn out lead up. It seemed Ace was truly getting away with his brother and then this happened. Nah man. Plus, why so early? How much of Ace have we really seen so far? It's really not a lot. All of Impel Down and so many episodes at Marineford and it ends like this. Nah.
May 19, 2022 8:46 PM

Sep 2019
RIP Ace :pepehands:.
Jun 24, 2022 3:37 PM

Jan 2021
Luffy needs to pass on Ace’s final words then he needs do defeat everyone in his way I was already spoiled about Ace’s death a long long time ago but at least I didn’t have any context of how he died or who did it but now that I’m here it’s sill very sad
Aug 29, 2022 1:18 AM

Apr 2018
I definitely feel sad about Ace's death :(... First death in One Piece? That's not fair ;( . Not sure how I feel about this arc. All this fighting and trying to get Ace back went downhill.
Sep 6, 2022 5:39 PM

Feb 2014
Damn, Luffy's sobbing at the end, devasting.
Sep 24, 2022 7:09 PM
Sep 2022
Tragic ending for everyone
Oct 16, 2022 10:41 AM
Oct 2022
I am physically sobbing. I knew it was coming, but I am still in emotional agony.
Dec 27, 2022 1:41 PM
Jun 2021
aces death was real sad
Dec 29, 2022 11:20 AM

Jun 2021
Unfortunely I got spoiled about this but I didn't think it would happen so soon ;(

Mar 15, 2023 11:04 PM
Jan 2017
Bruh what the fuck
Apr 15, 2023 10:38 AM
Sep 2022
even tho i was spoiled this episode still hits deep, what a great episode
May 21, 2023 11:48 PM
May 2022
The title was definitally way too revealing..😭

Ever since this episode I have occasionally skipped episode titles/previews during certain arcs when lots of stuff is going down :')
V1DAJan 23, 5:56 PM
Jun 20, 2023 5:07 PM
Oct 2019
ODA, YOU ARE SO CRUEL!!!
WHY YOU DOING THIS TO ACE!!!

THE ONE TIME IMPORTANT CHARACTER ACTUALLY DIE AND IT WAS ACE!!
WTF!!

One Piece made me cry once again... Fcked man..
Jun 27, 2023 3:41 AM

Aug 2018
Wow.. amazing episode. Rest in Piece Ace.
Jul 12, 2023 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
Ace asking if he deserves to live or not reminds me of Robin’s situation. Out of all the times they’ve dragged out the episodes I’m glad they did for this one. It was a nice send off for him and with him smiling as he dropped dead I think he found his answer.
Sep 20, 2023 8:55 AM
Jan 2023
Fuckk off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 2, 2023 2:56 PM
May 2018
I know I'm late to the party, but omg, this was the dumbest most infuriating garbage. What a way to ruin a character in the last minute of his life. Truly the most low IQ degenerate simpleton shit I've ever seen.

We get a 100 episode buildup, Luffy breaks INTO AND OUT OF IMPEL DOWN, sacrificing 10+ years of his life in the process, then thousands of Whitebeard's men and allies storm Marinefort risking/sacrificing their lives to rescue him, which Ace can see from the best view in the house, he even cries for joy cause he feels so #blessed, and when he FINALLY, after hours of intense battles and close calls, gets freed, instead of honoring everyone's sacrifices and hard work by getting the fuck out of there as fast as possible, he throws it all away because his fragile ego can't handle a simple taunt. A TAUNT!!!!!!! A tactic so obvious & transparent a fucking child could see through it, but no, not our coolguy Ace, he falls for that moron bait and for what? To argue with a man whose whole job and life mission is to imprison/kill pirates?! His enemy?!

To sum up

1. Ace throws everything away everyone worked so hard for, including Whitebeard's & Luffy's sacrifices
  2. He's so low IQ he falls for the dumbest manipulation tactic known to man, a fucking "ur dad sux bro, yeah I said it, what u gonna do about it" taunt
  3. His own convictions are so pathetically weak he gets triggered by a smack talking marine. There's no reason Ace, a PIRATE, should give a shit about the opinion of a MARINE! But no, he really stops running & says "take that back"

This & last episode turned Ace from one of the coolest, to the lamest, most braindead character in all of One Piece. Can't believe this. Poor Luffy going through hell for his bro just for him to get baited & wasted like that. What a shit way to kill off a character, Oda missed hard with this one.
BelugaboyeNov 2, 2023 3:32 PM
Feb 18, 11:36 AM
Mar 2021
I Am In An Extreme Amount Of Pain
Feb 20, 1:02 PM
Jan 2024
This episode will always remain in my heart as long as I live. His legacy as a character throughout the series is still relevant up to this day despite his early death in the series. I remember being shocked and heartbroken that I wailed like a child when I first saw him falling. His speech towards his love for Luffy, and the love he received from him filled my heart with brokenness. He spoke of his nothingness and someone not worthy of love, I have always have my heart torn into pieces when he speak lowly of himself like that.

"Do I deserve to live?"

The fact his father was branded as a criminal, his birth was kept secret for his safety but he begins to pave his way to find his identity amidst EVERYONE, literally everyone concealing who he is and what he is. Everyone simply wanted him to die, and that in itself brought me to tears already. When Luffy was telling everyone to save Ace, that was what Ace needed the most. Someone to tell him to live, and he is needed by everyone. By Whitebeard Pirates whom he found a family and a father figure he was chasing after.

He never wanted fame from being a pirates, he sought the freedom a pirate has over himself and not being labelled by others who haven't known. He is not simply Gol D. Roger's son, he is Ace of the Fire Fist - a man who have been loved, freer and fought for his right to life. The smile that he had in his face when fell over, I know it was hurtful to see him dead, signalling the Marineford attempt on his death to flourish but his death was something more of a tragedy and happiness for me.

Ace's character wasn't simply a plot device to improve Luffy or add something to his character - it affected everyone who knew his heart and desire which propelled them to act towards themselves. It revealed that it is not simply right or wrong, it may be wrong but it felt right. Ace deserved his freedom more than anyone else, Ace deserved to feel love of those he ardently loved to receive it, and seeing those people, everyone whom he encountered in his voyage towards becoming a pirate realized that he is loved by these people to willingly put arms for him to save him. It was in this moment that the doubts in his mind was put into ease, though I know that most people he knew would have been able to give him the love they want to express, seeing these people may have given Ace that salvation from his birth that chased him throughout his life.

I will always celebrate his character one way or another, it's been 2 years since I have watched this episode and it never misses. You are loved Ace, you are loved and will always be loved.
Mar 1, 1:39 AM
Jan 2023
No....This was just too harsh, even though I had been spoiled before..really nothing could have prepared me for that. My tears just don't stop I even have a throbbing headache at this point. No matter what happens He will always be my favorite character.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1102 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 27

44 by Ronin_4011 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 435 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Jan 23, 2010

77 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 434 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hobbzz - Jan 16, 2010

62 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 433 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hobbzz - Jan 9, 2010

80 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

» The Essential Guide to watching One Piece

Nito-San - Nov 12, 2012

39 by meentosys »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.