Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 15, 2010 9:39 AM

Nov 2007
We had to keep up with the level of 'eew' when Code Geass first aired. Still Code Geass managed to become one of the most renowned anime of recent time.

Ginga Bishounen looks almost certain to take similar route. After all, the level of eew-ness is still there, and despite all the initial confusions, I think it will turn out to be one of THE Anime of the year.

Who else thinks this is going to be the Next Big Thing?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 15, 2010 9:53 AM

Aug 2009
No.

its still too early for me to think that, and the ginga beam poses isn't helping me to sway in favor of it....although I did have high expectations like i did with TTGL
Oct 15, 2010 10:09 AM

Nov 2007
Comparing with TTGL this early (i doubt even later) will be yabai. in fact, i doubt there are anything out there which can match the level of awesomeness of Kamina.
Coronavirus.
Oct 15, 2010 1:15 PM
Jul 2008
I thought that too. This indeed seems like, if done right, could be pretty epic later on.
Oct 16, 2010 12:04 PM

Mar 2010
Probably in the top but not all the rave

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 16, 2010 3:19 PM

Aug 2009
shanimebib said:
Comparing with TTGL this early (i doubt even later) will be yabai. in fact, i doubt there are anything out there which can match the level of awesomeness of Kamina.

if we had to compare main leads like Takuto(aka Ginga Bishonen) to Kamina would be like comparing shit to chocolate...I do have high expectations for star driver but only because it was done by Bones which I've had a lot of faith in when it comes to an anime studio...apart from that, so far my impression of the series is that we have a lead who acts and sounds like Tamaki from Ouran High Host Club placed into a mecha anime....and somehow that's like mixing oil and water
Oct 16, 2010 3:23 PM

Jan 2010
I was thinking this during the first episode but it was poorly executed if you ask me. I can still see it becoming quite good though.

If you have to liken it to another show (like Code Geass), it won't be a big thing. Big things usually bring some new concept to the table. They're quite unique.
Oct 16, 2010 10:33 PM

Jul 2009
TensaiShonen said:
we have a lead who acts and sounds like Tamaki from Ouran High Host Club placed into a mecha anime....and somehow that's like mixing oil and water
Well it's the same staff that did Ouran also make this show, can't be help anyway :P At least Takuto is better than emo/angsty & cocky teenage mecha pilot like Kira Yamato,Shinn Asuka or even Kamille Bidan. He somewhat mash between Tamaki flamboyance & Judau positive personality.

I hope this will become Bones next hit with Enokido+Igarashi working on it. The fact that they always take risks reminds me why I love Bones so much.
Oct 16, 2010 10:53 PM

Nov 2007
Kagura89 said:
I hope this will become Bones next hit with Enokido+Igarashi working on it. The fact that they always take risks reminds me why I love Bones so much.

Taking on Sunrise Inc. I guess. After all, they had been pretty quiet after FMA (2003) and it was all Sunrise Inc. since then. Edit: They won it last in 2006 with Eureka 7.

But now they already have Brotherhood, which will certainly get the AotY award. Too bad for star driver though, i doubt it has any chance against Bones masterpiece FMA: Brotherhood.

But yeah, if it goes beyond December (which is likely), it might just compete for AotY for 2011.
shanimebibOct 16, 2010 10:56 PM
Coronavirus.
Oct 17, 2010 3:13 AM

Nov 2008
FUCK YES FUCKING EXPLOSHUNS AND SHIT HOLY FUCK TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCES AND SHIT BREAKING SHIT AND COMING OUT AND FABULOUS RAINBOWS AND GLITTERING STAR AND DAZZLING STAGES AND FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

IF HE KEEPS KICKING ASS AND FIGHTS AN INDIVIDUAL ENEMY AND ADDS TO HIS OWN ABILITIES EPISODE BY EPISODE LIKE IT'S GOING NOW, THIS SHIT IS GOING TO BE THE FUCKING BESTTTTTTT.

Seriously, anime of the year.

Of course, they have plenty of opportunities to fuck this up. Let's hope they don't.
Oct 17, 2010 4:46 AM

Jul 2010
School life with mecha ain't impossible if its the ''legendary'' BONES making it, aside from that, i really really like the series so much especially the characters, the Galactic Crux members are awesome, and the story is a hit for me, very original if i may say and the way they tell it w/ a shrouded in mystery style is what to be expected on an original series from BONES. (like the series Darker Than Black). If this series ends well, it may not just be "the next big thing" but an absolute "classic". ^^,
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Oct 17, 2010 6:46 AM

Sep 2009
hazelnutman said:
FUCK YES FUCKING EXPLOSHUNS AND SHIT HOLY FUCK TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCES AND SHIT BREAKING SHIT AND COMING OUT AND FABULOUS RAINBOWS AND GLITTERING STAR AND DAZZLING STAGES AND FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

IF HE KEEPS KICKING ASS AND FIGHTS AN INDIVIDUAL ENEMY AND ADDS TO HIS OWN ABILITIES EPISODE BY EPISODE LIKE IT'S GOING NOW, THIS SHIT IS GOING TO BE THE FUCKING BESTTTTTTT.

Of course, they have plenty of opportunities to fuck this up. Let's hope they don't.

My thoughts exactly.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Oct 17, 2010 8:20 AM

Aug 2008
Anime of the year? No.
Anime of the season? No.
The next big thing? Possibly.
Best Bones anime?* Quite likely.

*I haven't seen Eureka Seven or Ouran.
Oct 17, 2010 10:09 AM

Jan 2010
llamaben said:
Anime of the year? No.
Anime of the season? No.

Watch Eureka Seven now, it's lightyears ahead of this one.
Oct 17, 2010 10:55 AM

Nov 2007
llamaben said:

The Bestest anime from Bones, if not, The Bestest anime eva is This. Period.

sticking to the topic, I completely agree with this
AmberFebruary said:
School life with mecha ain't impossible if its the ''legendary'' BONES making it, aside from that, i really really like the series so much especially the characters, the Galactic Crux members are awesome, and the story is a hit for me, very original if i may say and the way they tell it w/ a shrouded in mystery style is what to be expected on an original series from BONES. (like the series Darker Than Black). If this series ends well, it may not just be "the next big thing" but an absolute "classic". ^^,
Coronavirus.
Oct 17, 2010 12:12 PM

Jun 2009
The people who disagreed that this won't be the anime of the year or the next big thing are just jealous. Jealous that no matter how hard they try, they would never ever, ever, ever be close to Takuto's and this anime fabulousness.

Haters gonna Hate!

Oct 17, 2010 1:58 PM

Nov 2007
There aren't many anime out there where miyano mamoru and fukuyama jun played the main roles together. other than durarara!!, i dont think there is any. all i can remember are E7, ookiku, d.gray-man and vampire knight where they either played secondary roles or never played the main roles together.

no matter how gay they sound (i admit they often do), they are in fact two of the most popular seiyuus after their roles as light and lelouch. and getting them in an anime for both lead roles goes to show the intention of BONES.

oh, and there is miki shin'ichiro too, i almost forgot he was in the same room with sakana-chan. i wonder what his role in the anime will be. not to mention tomatsu haruka, sakamoto maaya and koshimizu ami.

for now, i just see this anime going after epicness. it might be too early to say that, but seriously, after the first three episodes, i can say this show is unique and the plot is original. Star Driver is indeed, the buzzword in japan at the moment.

-Quasar said:
The people who disagreed that this won't be the anime of the year or the next big thing are just jealous.

it will probably won't be serialized for contest at the end of this year. BONES already know that they are going to get hands on the accolade with Brotherhood already. So they will save this one for next year.
shanimebibOct 17, 2010 2:03 PM
Coronavirus.
Oct 18, 2010 7:56 PM

Aug 2009
llamaben said:
Anime of the year? No.
Anime of the season? No.

You should see Eureka Seven and Ouran.

I think this show has potential to be big. It depends on the future though.
Oct 25, 2010 11:23 AM
Aug 2009
Sleepyhead90 said:
hazelnutman said:

My thoughts exactly.

I just started watching Star Driver yesterday and I already think its awesome!! and an Explosion of Rainbows and Bishonen XD
Oct 25, 2010 12:03 PM

Dec 2008
This piece of crap is next big thing? I think BONES will share same fate as GONZO.

ATATATATATATATATATATATATA!! Omae wa mo shindeiru!
Oct 25, 2010 12:42 PM

Aug 2009
Yuuichirou said:
This piece of crap is next big thing? I think BONES will share same fate as GONZO.

No. That's not how that works.

Just because you do not like a show does not mean it is dying.
Oct 25, 2010 1:04 PM

May 2010
Well, it has fans, but we'll have to wait & see.
Personally, I hope it won't become the next big thing.
Oct 25, 2010 9:34 PM
Jul 2010
It has a ton of potential and I hope to God it delivers on it. I'm a big Bones fan and I'm really liking what I've seen so far of this. Sure, it's incredibly "FAAAAABULOUS!" and it'll probably wear thin if they stick to this same formula, but I think that it'll eventually turn into something wholly original and even more ridiculous. And I can't wait.
Oct 26, 2010 4:22 PM

Nov 2007
Yuuichirou said:

BONES, fyki, have already changed their future with brotherhood. anything they work on for the next 2-3 years are just surplus. ;)
Coronavirus.
Oct 31, 2010 2:06 PM

Aug 2007
Plus I'm curious about Gosick... But that's just the future. It's unpredictable, just as the rankings before the first episode.

I do think this certainly has potential: the first episode reminded me somewhat of Macross Frontier. I really like the way all the episodes are animated from the beginning till the ending: not something I see in many anime.

I never knew someone could use the term 'ginga bishounen' and still keep the anime interesting and being not an reversed harem show, that's... awesome.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Oct 31, 2010 2:31 PM

Sep 2009
Judging from the 1st 5 episodes= NO!
It is surely entertaining but not something epic.
Oct 31, 2010 5:45 PM
Jul 2008
Hmmm it seemed a lot more promising early on.. We'll have to wait and see.
Oct 31, 2010 5:57 PM

Feb 2009
I'm enjoying it, but it's not a masterpiece, at least not yet. There's still a lot of time for improvement, thought.

But for me, the "next big thing" is being Densetsu no Yuusha. Each episode even more epic.
Friend Code 3DS: 4914-3165-5517
Oct 31, 2010 9:48 PM

Aug 2008
shanimebib said:
llamaben said:

The Bestest anime from Bones, if not, The Bestest anime eva is This. Period.
No, just no.

garfield15 said:
You should see Eureka Seven and Ouran.
I'm planning to watch Eureka Seven in a couple of months, but Ouran is towards the back end of by long plan to watch list...

Danniel said:
But for me, the "next big thing" is being Densetsu no Yuusha. Each episode even more epic.
Theres no doubt that the current episodes are epic, but quite a few episodes in the first half were pretty bad. I don't think enough people would make it to the epic parts for it to be called the "next big thing", and then there's also a likely problem of a rushed ending.

Back on topic, I wrote my original comment after 2 episodes. Now after 5, it's losing a little bit of it's touch but is still doing quite well. Ultimately, the development of the story will be the decisive factor.
Nov 28, 2010 9:26 AM

Aug 2009
This series could be better if it wasn't because they used recycled clips for Tauburn's summon in every episode(it's ok the first 2-3, but all until 9? come on!)
Nov 28, 2010 9:54 AM
Jun 2010
I THOUGHT it was going to be anime of the year when I first started watching - it had great potential, but potential is a funny thing. Then it started getting repetitive. I can see this anime improving, but more shows start out with a bang and wither away than the opposite way around. I'm still going to pull through till the end though. =)
Nov 29, 2010 1:37 AM

Nov 2007
I was wrong. Nothing comes to any competition with Kuragehime from this season.
Coronavirus.
Nov 29, 2010 5:43 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
I was wrong. Nothing comes to any competition with Kuragehime from this season.

QFT. Kuragehime is awesome. I kinda doubt it's going to be "the next big thing", though. Not quite popular enough.

As for this show, it's alright. Not bad, not great, just ok. It still has potential, but it needs to make me actually give a darn about any of the characters before I really start to like it. I won't write it off completely until after it finishes, though.

Oh, and if we're just talking popularity, it has a long way to go to become another one of those pretty well-known mecha series like Code Geass or Gurren Lagann.
Jan 5, 2011 3:15 PM

Jan 2010
I think calling this the next big anime seems a bit rash. I would wait for a couple more episodes before they reach that "omg" level Code Geass achieved. Otherwise I think this is pretty average.
Jan 11, 2011 5:05 PM
Jun 2010
Eureka 7 is obviously way better than Star Driver.
When Star Driver first started I hated it. Same similar fight scenes and minimal plot really. I was practically only in it for Sakana's song she sings. I eventually got into liking it. Don't know why but after watching Watanabe's "arc" I became more interested in it.
Jan 13, 2011 6:13 AM

Nov 2008
lol
Jan 15, 2011 12:11 AM

Oct 2009
Never.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2011 1:07 PM

Oct 2008
There are bad shows.
There are good shows.
There are "meh" shows.

This one is a lot of "meh" and more often than not, worse than the bad shows.
At least you hate the bad shows for a reason.
Jan 26, 2011 11:20 AM

Aug 2009
*raises hand*

I think it will b! :D

More topics from this board

Poll: » Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Jan 23, 2011

130 by HerdianElang »»
Apr 8, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Oct 31, 2010

135 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jan 17, 5:33 PM

» This anime have some kind of boys love?

Kuku_Kill - Feb 11, 2023

6 by Ronninn »»
Feb 11, 2023 4:20 PM

Poll: » Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Jan 30, 2011

102 by notbraxten »»
Sep 1, 2022 1:56 AM

Poll: » Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

HawthorneKitty - Apr 3, 2011

242 by Alvie48xi »»
Aug 30, 2022 8:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.