Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 1, 2022 12:37 PM

Jul 2016
Week #4 of people expecting way too much from a simple SoL/Rom-Com smh...

Anyways, wholesome episode as usual. Pretty sure my sugar levels got restored with that night talk between Shikimori and Izumi. They are just so cute.

And also, what's up with moms this season? I swear, there is so much potential wherever I look.
May 1, 2022 12:39 PM

Feb 2014
I enjoyed seeing how Shikimori became friends with Nekozaki. I can't blame Nekozaki from admiring Shikimori so much, but that game of basketball got the competitive side of both girls out in full force and thus, a new friendship was born. =)

I'm interested to see how well this trip to the riverbank will go. At least the girls brought some new swimsuits for their trip, although Shikimori only got spurred on thanks to a sexy advert that had Izumi's full attention. Eventually, we got a nice and wholesome call between the two as they spoke about the constellations in the night sky.

However, the best part of the episode arrived after the earlier than expected credits, where Shikimori was invited by Izumi's mother to a cooking class and that led to many amusing moments between the two of them, huh? XD
May 1, 2022 2:34 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Good they're all going to the river together! Well of course they need a swimsuit and Shikimori was the one who was interested, and not for the common one xD At least that was a nice backstory, but it looks like Shikimori is the one who got dominated in this episode lol
May 1, 2022 2:57 PM

May 2017
ProofByColor said:
Another wholesome episode. It baffles me how much hate this simple SoL romcom is getting. The same people probably praise MDD in comparison. But let's be honest here... that only because MDD made their dicks hard.

It's 100% because of how worthless Izumi is lol. It just makes you feel bad for Shikimori.

I was going to drop this last episode per the 3 episode rule, but something made me come back for another one, and yup, don't know why I did that. I've said it before, but it would make more sense if they retooled it to be a Yaoi anime with Izumi dating Inuzuka lol, or turned it into a Yuri anime by going the last 5% and fully making Izumi a girl.
tfw brain crowe
May 2, 2022 5:45 AM

Apr 2021
Fr, I'd rather ship Shikimori and Yuu's mom.

May 2, 2022 10:15 AM

Jan 2013
Aluminum_ said:
That's what hentai is for your horny bastard.

Tardman said:
It's 100% because of how worthless Izumi is lol. It just makes you feel bad for Shikimori.

I was going to drop this last episode per the 3 episode rule, but something made me come back for another one, and yup, don't know why I did that. I've said it before, but it would make more sense if they retooled it to be a Yaoi anime with Izumi dating Inuzuka lol, or turned it into a Yuri anime by going the last 5% and fully making Izumi a girl.
Then fucking drop the show, you don't want to become like these masochists who finish shows they hate, while bitching the entire time. Saying it would make more sense for it to be a yaoi anime is just stupid, it's like people who say "hey this fanservice anime would be better without all the fanservice" when fanservice is the main premise, it's the fucking point that he's more on the feminine side, the anime just has all the nuance of a truck smashing into Izumi's house.

ProofByColor said:
Another wholesome episode. It baffles me how much hate this simple SoL romcom is getting. The same people probably praise MDD in comparison. But let's be honest here... that only because MDD made their dicks hard.
It got so much hate because it was immensely popular, even more so than Komi S2, and then it ended up being very average, and people are petty and don't know how to process disappointment. What isn't helping is this idiotic feud between this and MDUD, it's such a completely reductive take that people only like Marin for her tits, when she's a solid and likable character, there's no rule that says a show can't be horny AND wholesome.
LostSpectreMay 2, 2022 10:26 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 2, 2022 12:22 PM

Oct 2017
Izumi likes abs, man of culture. It was nice watching Shikimori getting flustered.
May 2, 2022 1:32 PM

Nov 2019
If they turned the ED into a mobile game, I bet it would bring more enjoyment.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

May 2, 2022 1:59 PM

May 2017

Yeah I feel you, the problem is that this show is like a durian fruit. It's so stinky, but there's something there that keeps you coming back. But yeah I really am going to drop it now. I feel really bad for Shikimori even though she's not real, I've had friends and family members marry/date absolute losers before, and that's the same feeling I'm getting from watching this anime. I'm looking forward to seeing what doujins and fanfiction come out of this though, Izumi has to be the shortlist for most NTRable character ever created.
tfw brain crowe
May 2, 2022 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
Tardman said:

Yeah I feel you, the problem is that this show is like a durian fruit. It's so stinky, but there's something there that keeps you coming back. But yeah I really am going to drop it now. I feel really bad for Shikimori even though she's not real, I've had friends and family members marry/date absolute losers before, and that's the same feeling I'm getting from watching this anime. I'm looking forward to seeing what doujins and fanfiction come out of this though, Izumi has to be the shortlist for most NTRable character ever created.
You don't need to feel sorry for her, there's absolutely no issue here in the source material, this adaptation is just horrible. The pacing, sequencing, direction, music, and overall feel of the show is just flat out wrong. The same simple scenes that work just fine in the manga feel painfully drawn out in the anime, and the humor is just non-existent when translated to the anime. The simple dialogue also ends up feeling completely unnatural with the pacing/directing, and it honestly makes the characters look slow or stupid, especially Izumi. The art is a bit on the generic side, but the colorful animation is really pretty in certain scenes, but overall this is some of the worst directing I have ever seen in an anime.
LostSpectreMay 2, 2022 2:53 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 2, 2022 3:55 PM

Jan 2013
That scene at the end isn't just great because it's fucking adorable, it has excellent directing, just look at the pacing, angles, and flow of that one scene up against the rest of the episode, the show itself is so unnecessarily static and drawn out, that emotional scene on the phone is one of the only parts that feels natural with that type of directing, but in the other scenes it makes the simple dialogue stand out so unnaturally. It's not just the pacing, the overall directing of the anime is failing to capture the feel and charm of the manga.
May 2, 2022 4:44 PM

Apr 2021
LostSpectre said:
Aluminum_ said:
That's what hentai is for your horny bastard.

Yuri is completely different from hentai.

May 2, 2022 9:09 PM

Sep 2020
i liked this episode a lot more than the previous ones!! it felt better paced and not as slow :))
May 3, 2022 2:15 AM

Jul 2021
Firstly, what the fuck was that post-credit lmao, whatever it was, it was hilarious af.

This was a pretty good episode as well, leaving some hard to watch scenes.

The swim suit ad part was so really funny.

We have been seeing and hearing about how unlucky Ijumi is but when he told the constellation bit, that did some emotional damage, that was just sad.

The conversation at the end was pretty cute, need more of that in romcoms.

Shikimori's reactions are really fun to watch.

5/5.
TsutanaiFuunMay 3, 2022 2:26 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 3, 2022 6:12 AM

Apr 2015
If anyone liked the yuri mother undertones I recommend checking out this very short manga: Jk-chan and her Classmate's Mom

It's quite funny and wholesome, nothing deep obviously
May 3, 2022 4:36 PM

Aug 2017
Dang Izumi just was being a man of culture and looking at those hot asf abs and Shikimori just thought he was being a normie swimsuit lover

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 3, 2022 7:33 PM
Aug 2015
Hope the show gets better!
May 4, 2022 1:26 AM

Jun 2020
The phone call scene was really cute aaaa, I love flustered Shikimori
May 4, 2022 5:51 AM

Mar 2022
Kahirama said:
If anyone liked the yuri mother undertones I recommend checking out this very short manga: Jk-chan and her Classmate's Mom

It's quite funny and wholesome, nothing deep obviously

Thanks! That was a fun and wholesome read
May 4, 2022 10:58 AM

May 2018
Shikimori almost got shanked there
May 4, 2022 3:10 PM

Jul 2014
Gotta love people who say "just drop if you don't like it" , when we all know that after they'll say "you didn't watch everything so your opinion is invalid"

Reviews are reviews, if you don't like someone else's opinion, ignore it, it's internet, you can't stop anyone
May 4, 2022 3:20 PM

Jan 2013
Kuroimi said:
Gotta love people who say "just drop if you don't like it" , when we all know that after they'll say "you didn't watch everything so your opinion is invalid"

Reviews are reviews, if you don't like someone else's opinion, ignore it, it's internet, you can't stop anyone
Dropping a show you don't enjoy is perfectly reasonable, and I don't know why the convo would even continue after said person drops it?
May 4, 2022 3:31 PM

Jul 2014
LostSpectre said:
Kuroimi said:

Dropping a show you don't enjoy is perfectly reasonable, and I don't know why the convo would even continue after said person drops it?

Yes, it's reasonable, but you can say that watching a series until the end even if you don't like it is understandable, some people might want to just hate it until the end, but others might have hope for it to get "better", or have a surprise

The "3 episode rules", as I call it, is common, but not a real rule, no one has to follow it, most people use it as a way to give a fair chance to most animes, but watching every episodes of an anime until the end is also giving a fair chance

Also, would you listen to a review of a guy who only watched 3 episodes, or a guy who watched until the end?

I know that some people are pure haters, but you can just ignore them, haters will keep talking if you keep responding to them after all
May 4, 2022 3:48 PM

Jan 2013
Kuroimi said:
LostSpectre said:

Yes, it's reasonable, but you can say that watching a series until the end even if you don't like it is understandable, some people might want to just hate it until the end, but others might have hope for it to get "better", or have a surprise

The "3 episode rules", as I call it, is common, but not a real rule, no one has to follow it, most people use it as a way to give a fair chance to most animes, but watching every episodes of an anime until the end is also giving a fair chance

Also, would you listen to a review of a guy who only watched 3 episodes, or a guy who watched until the end?

I know that some people are pure haters, but you can just ignore them, haters will keep talking if you keep responding to them after all
Personally, no, I can't understand people who continue watching a show they don't enjoy, but reviewers would be an exception if they want to be honest about completing the show. I can also understand hate watching if it's genuinely enjoyable, you can still be entertained by a bad show. I can't relate to a "completionist" whatsoever, never dropping a show that I start just sounds like torture. I also wouldn't keep watching something in the hope that it might get better, there's plenty of better ways to spend my time.
May 4, 2022 4:08 PM

Jul 2014
LostSpectre said:
Kuroimi said:

Personally, no, I can't understand people who continue watching a show they don't enjoy, but reviewers would be an exception if they want to be honest about completing the show. I can also understand hate watching if it's genuinely enjoyable, you can still be entertained by a bad show. I can't relate to a "completionist" whatsoever, never dropping a show that I start just sounds like torture. I also wouldn't keep watching something in the hope that it might get better, there's plenty of better ways to spend my time.

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree then
May 5, 2022 2:29 AM

Jun 2019
That last knife scene was no joke, like why would the author make kinda garbage scene?
lettuce<3
May 7, 2022 11:20 AM

Mar 2022
This episode was ok but the post credits scene was great.
I love seeing Yuu's parents.
May 7, 2022 12:24 PM

Jan 2013
Accelise_ said:
That last knife scene was no joke, like why would the author make kinda garbage scene?
You mean the best scene of the episode? Weird take.
May 7, 2022 11:44 PM

Jun 2019
LostSpectre said:
Accelise_ said:

So you enjoyed because that knife almost killed Shikimori. No one carries a knife like that. Weird take.
lettuce<3
May 8, 2022 1:20 AM

Jun 2021
LMAO Shikimori getting flustered over sexy swimsuits.
May 8, 2022 6:14 AM

Jan 2013
Accelise_ said:
LostSpectre said:

So you enjoyed because that knife almost killed Shikimori. No one carries a knife like that. Weird take.
The knife was in a box you fool, and you're gravely underestimating Shikimori if you think that was even a challenge for her.
May 8, 2022 8:38 AM

Jan 2013
Accelise_ said:
LostSpectre said:
The knife was in a box you fool, and you're gravely underestimating Shikimori if you think that was even a challenge for her.

When did I say I underestimates her? Isn't it obvious that I'm worried about her when that fucking knife was hovering over her? If a knife box opens so easily, what's the point of having a box? Use your fucking brain.
Generally, boxes are for carrying things, not throwing them across the room, and if you're worried about her, then you're underestimating her.

Oh, and it's called a comedic scene, that you're taking way too seriously for some reason, but better than whining about her and the mom, I guess.
May 8, 2022 10:21 AM

Jan 2013
Accelise_ said:
LostSpectre said:
Generally, boxes are for carrying things, not throwing them across the room, and if you're worried about her, then you're underestimating her.

Oh, and it's called a comedic scene, that you're taking way too seriously for some reason, but better than whining about her and the mom, I guess.

Underestimation and worry are completely different things. Now you are saying to me it's called a comedic scene. Was it even funny? Throwing a knife at someone is comedic scene, okay.
This was amusing at first, but your density is far too strong for me, I concede.
May 8, 2022 11:14 AM

Dec 2018
Episode 4, and still nothing interesting. Just kinda pity that Izumi kinda smart looking but he might failed just because of his bad luck.

May 9, 2022 10:21 AM

Jun 2021
well the cooking scene with yuu’s mother and shikimiro at the end was hot
deep fried lettuce

^i snitched this from a dude's forum signature^

May 11, 2022 1:56 AM

Aug 2018
Summer vacations. But first, exams.
They are going for a walk to the river, let's see what will happen.
Good chapter. The post-credits scene...there was some tension xD
May 11, 2022 5:51 PM

Jun 2020
Fuck I honestly watched ep 5 first before this but It seems to be that there's not much progression

But that was actually cute when they were going shopping and Shikimori just can't handle herself trying to impress Izumi and backstory when Shikimori and Neko along with Hachimitsu started hanging out

lol Yuu's mom is really where he got his misfortune and what was that hint of Yuri.
May 16, 2022 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
The whole swimsuit part was such a meme.
But i am loving the vibe of this anime, very chill.

Also the MC's mom is a beast xD
AivanKMay 16, 2022 6:13 PM
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 20, 2022 4:34 PM

Jun 2021
Nice episode! Shikimori is the perfect girlfriend
May 21, 2022 5:00 PM
May 2022
So I'm on ep 4 and I liked everything besides the fact that I've noticed a negative trend among the main characters. Shikimori gets jealous/insecure whenever Izumi was around his male friend who got hit in the face with a soccer ball. Yes, she's pretty, protects her misfortune boyfriend, gorgeous, but she gets insecure/jealous whenever Izumi praises someone else, is amazed by others, thanks others, ect. Because of this I'm going to drop the series.

Yes, Shikimori takes the role of how the male lead usually is, pretty, cool, athletic, sometimes blushes/shy, protects the love interest. None of that was a problem EXCEPT when Shikimori was being unesissarily insecure/jealous. I understand that this is a teen school romance drama, but it was so unnecessary to add those negative qualities into Shikimori. Like bruh.

Other points I didn't understand/questioned:

I didn't understand why Izumi mother doesn't look a day over 19 with only a single wrinkle under her eye and no grey hair and skinny. And his father being fat and actually looking his age. It's almost like women are criticized and expected to be perfect and ageless even in their elder years. And if they aren't they are demonized, put down, labeled unattractive, ect. And of course it worse towards marginalized, disabled, and colored folk. Even though no women exist to simply BE attractive to the other sex/person.

Notice how the father simply gets to age and look like a normal 50-60 year old man. Fat, graying and wrinkly. He just gets off the hook just like real men in society. And isn't demonized nor put down for those physical qualities. Men aren't, so women shouldn't be either.

Another thing i noticed and took note in was that when and after Izumi lost his wallet again and coincidencedently met his parents walking back from thier date, Izumi's mother took all the dishes away and washed them, whilst Izumi went to sleep and his dad went to the bathroom. Which is another sexist/weaponized male incompetence thing I noticed. The dad and son should have cleaned up after themselves, it's the bare minimum, the bar is lower than hell and nonexistent.

Now, I'm NOT shaming the real women in our world who get botox, dye their hair, use makeup, workout, get surgeries to fit the european/pedophic/racist/abelistic/fatphobic/colanizing beauty standards. The women doing all of that in order to simply be treated better by the scoundrels in our world, yes, no shame to them, if they see and feel that they should or want do anything they can to live easier, not a grain of shame towards them only love.

I understand anime doesn't have to be realistic, but we seriously shouldn't add insecure, jealous,
possessive characfer traits to our main lead girl, & negative harmful expectations of women to have european/pedophic/racist/abelistic/fatphobic/colanizing beauty standards. And the mom cleaning up after her husband and son when her son and husband should have cleaned up after themselves. Shikimori literally protecting Izumi everywhere was no problem. Shikimori being jealous/insecure when Izumi was simply admiring, thanking, someone. It just rubbed me wrong for a girl who was perfect in every other aspect. She didn't deserve to be written with that horrible negative quality trait of insecurity.

10/10 beautiful art. Story 9/10. Characters personality 5/10. [For Shikimori's sake, she didn't have to be put down like that. I didn't like that Izumi and his father didn't clean up, nor wash up after themselves and instead went to the bathroom or slept which is sexist and weaponized male incompetence. Shikimori being insecure/jealous. For those reasons specifically, I'm dropping this anime, becuase I shall not be settling for this absurdity, especially in anime. ] if it wasn't for those reasons I would have enjoyed the series a bit more, but as you can see from my paragraphs it's not my cup of tea.
Momo-000May 21, 2022 5:09 PM
May 21, 2022 5:56 PM

Jan 2013
@Fatbarbiegirl280

What is this insane fucking rant towards an obviously unrealistic romcom with a silly premise, go back to Twitter.
May 22, 2022 1:22 AM
May 2022
LostSpectre said:
@Fatbarbiegirl280

What is this insane fucking rant towards an obviously unrealistic romcom with a silly premise, go back to Twitter.
lmfao, sanity is highly overrated. When did they hire you to to respond to everyone who doesn't like this show. Also, what's the point of a fucking discussion post if not to actually DISCUSS.
May 22, 2022 4:20 AM
Apr 2022
Fatbarbiegirl280 said:
Long justified rant

Sorry to rewrite your quote there buddy, but its well thought out. Wont debate that.

When i saw thst NBCUniversal is involved, I was like, yup, its the message written into the story unfortunately.

Its more wholesome in the Manga, and the manga Izumi is such a better well-rounded character. Every forum i lurk in, everyone likes Izumi, and are perplexed about how he is depicted in the anime.

Thats why alot of us move over to Japanese Anime, or Donghua etc etc, for more wholesome content. But for how long? The past 2-3 years Hollywood has been making noises about Anime not incorporating SJW messaging, not using it as a platform for their corrupting activism.
May 22, 2022 7:19 AM
May 2022
thehornedrat said:
Fatbarbiegirl280 said:
Long justified rant

Sorry to rewrite your quote there buddy, but its well thought out. Wont debate that.

When i saw thst NBCUniversal is involved, I was like, yup, its the message written into the story unfortunately.

Its more wholesome in the Manga, and the manga Izumi is such a better well-rounded character. Every forum i lurk in, everyone likes Izumi, and are perplexed about how he is depicted in the anime.

Thats why alot of us move over to Japanese Anime, or Donghua etc etc, for more wholesome content. But for how long? The past 2-3 years Hollywood has been making noises about Anime not incorporating SJW messaging, not using it as a platform for their corrupting activism.

You're all good. Don't apologize.

I'm slowly getting back into watching anime so I actually didn't know a whole ton about NBC Universal being that way. Thanks for mentioning that!

Then maybe I'll give the manga a go. If it's different than the anime. I'd actually enjoy it more, 100%. Thanks for letting me know about that too.

Yes, yes, yes, omg, yes. You put it into words so well. Yes, exactly, but for how long? I agree.
Jun 8, 2022 7:09 AM
Aug 2021
Ah yes, summer...
Jun 10, 2022 2:55 PM
May 2019
Hmm thought I would like this episode at the start, but overall it was just very boring.
A light comment about Shikimori being competitive and hating to lose turned into a several-minutes long sports flashback. And the rest of the episode-------- was just so slow.

Positive: I always think Yuu and Shikimori's reactions to one another are very cute.
Jun 14, 2022 3:15 AM

Jan 2021
Oh man now I want to ship Shikimori with Izumi's mom.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jun 21, 2022 11:13 AM

Mar 2010
Not funny, too basic, and honestly just boring asf lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 10, 2022 1:18 AM

Jan 2020
Hachimitsu might be my spirit animal.

There is a surprising amount of yuri bait in this. Not that I'm complaining.

If nothing else, if they choose to go to the river over the beach it could be a fun change of pace from most other "swimsuit" episodes of anime.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 20, 2022 10:49 AM
Jul 2022
Tardman said:
ProofByColor said:

So Izuni is worthless is he's straight but wouldn't be if he was gay or a girl in your hypocritical logic? You're disgusting.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

107 by ad0rablegoat »»
Apr 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2022

351 by HollowP03 »»
Apr 16, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

223 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 31, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

116 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

98 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 11:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.