Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jan 4, 2023 11:27 AM
Jan 2023
Great movie! It has a really stunning animation and the soundtrack it is from another world.
Jan 14, 2023 6:54 AM

Jan 2018
First half is a straight up 1/10 from me. Humour is tragic, storytelling is lame and repetitive, the characters are all shit including this new fire man, just a fat L. 

Not sure if I can even finish the movie.
Jan 18, 2023 7:39 PM
Apr 2022
nices its really cool
Jan 29, 2023 6:47 AM
Jan 2023
Frikinn awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 7, 2023 8:51 AM
Feb 2023
great anime movie it was emotional in the end
Feb 14, 2023 10:55 AM
Mar 2016
Tears in my eyes. Just finished it. Words cannot describe.
Feb 25, 2023 9:01 AM
Mar 2015
Story? There was a story?

Tanjiro repeatedly killing himself was funny

At the end there Fire Pillar must be like, shut the f--- up lemme die in peace so he went "come let's talk"
Mar 6, 2023 4:59 AM
Sep 2022
great viewing experience
Mar 11, 2023 7:53 AM
Jan 2023
ive got good vibes to watching it
Mar 14, 2023 1:04 PM

Aug 2012
When Demon Slayer become the biggest phenomena in Japan since . . . the dawn of time(?), I knew I needed to give the series a go. And so I ended up binging the entire manga, I knew the anime is a big part of why Demon Slayer exploded like it did, but with the full story out I wanted to be able absorb everything it had to offer and if I loved it like so many have, I would just watch the enhanced anime. But I only ended up thinking the manga was okay, and tbh I found Zenitsu so annoying that I didn't even want to think about putting a voice to him. So I don't really have any interest in watching the full series.

However one of the many accolades Demon Slayer achieved was usurping Spirited Away as the most successful anime movie ever. And this is the time of the year I watch as much anime as possible, last year I watched Spirited Away for the first time, it only made sense to watch it's dethroner, and it was okay, and Zenitsu was worse with a voice.

I'll start with the positives, and the main one being that when the movie works, it's a geniunely thrilling action series. The highlight of this being Tanjiro & Inosuke's dual efforts to chop of the Emmu train's head. That sequence at the end was pretty exciting. The very end bit of Rengoku's fight with Akaza was also excellent shonen. Rengoku vs. Akaza as a whole was quite frankly dull for me until the end bit, but at least the colours were pretty. Regardless, the fight ended strong, and the movie for the most part does too. The true highlights come not too long after each-other, and while a lot of the Akaza fight doesn't connect with me, there's some good stuff in-between the two highlights. I like Tanjiro's motivation to live being that he didn't want the conductor to be a murderer, or him convincing "let the bastard die" Inosuke to help the conductor out. Tanjiro's empathy has always been one of my favourite aspects of the series, so I'm glad to see that displayed.

The Mugen Train arc is a bit of a departure from the rest of the series in that there really isn't any depth or attempt to empathize with Emmu. While I certainly prefer the series doing that, I don't mind having Emmu as just a straight evil demon in the context of the wider series, but as a movie re-visit, it was a bit of shame to lose out on such a fundamental part of what makes the series for me, though I'm glad it's still present with the conductor scene, & also seeing Tanjiro's soul/consciousness/whatever. The little thread was nice.

Animation-wise, the movie was mostly great, though some of the CGI was really ugly. There was a scene where Tanjiro is running away from dream family & he's CGI for that & I found it distractingly bad. It wasn't a consistent problem for me, so it's not a big detractor, but slightly disappointing that the movie did have noticeable weak points visually. Still, this is a great looking movie, the colours during the final Rengoku death scene really made it pop, and I love seeing the visual flourishes of each water/fire sword swing made here.

The soundtrack on the other hand was mostly good, albeit the only track I remember while writing this was the Akaza/Rengoku fight song, and that's only because I found it grating. Grating is also something I'd say for Zenitsu's voice when freaking out, slightly Inosuke though I got use to it after the beginning, and a few other moments like the "delicious" scene.

Which brings me to probably the weakest part of the film, the humour. There's a lot of attempts made here, but the only one thing in the movie that made me laugh was the raven crying and they weren't even trying to be funny there. To be honest, this makes the beginning of the film kind of painful to sit through. As I said, there is good material in the second half, stuff like Tanjiro's constant dream suicide, and Emmu's attempt to trick him into real suicide only for Inosuke to save him because of the boar mask preventing Emmu's powers from working is great action writing. Uses a pre-established ability in a different way as an attempt at subterfuge, which is thwarted by a well-defined character trait.

And I don't have a way to segue into this grievance, but the scene where Emmu is just monologuing on top of the train to nobody about exactly how his powers works is laughably bad writing. For starters, it makes no sense that anyone would do this, and comes across as just the cheapest, laziest way to insert an explanation of how his power functions. Why not just have Emmu explain that bit to the kids when he's explaining their task? Sure, they don't need to know so it would still feel a little cheap, but at least then there's somebody he's talking to, there's more reason for him to be discussing it since there's a conversation, instead of just randomly spouting this on a train to the wind. Might as well have just had a narrator exposit this. What makes this worse, is this exposition doesn't even tell us anything new. Sure we got me details in how the ticket punch worked, but like so? Who cares, it was already established that his demon powers were activated by punching the ticket, it was obvious when it happened and Tanjiro even states as much prior to this info dump, so I was really struggle to see what value having an additional scene to confirm this by saying he used demon blood to do it.

Kinda of a toss-up between a 5 & a 6, but I'll go with a 6/10.
Mar 22, 2023 7:54 PM
Jul 2020
It was wonderful. the only thing I can complain about is how the 3D stuck out like a sore thumb. I personally didn't like the 3D but my boyfriend who is all about 3D modelling thought it was a nice touch and liked the way they went with it 9.5/10 would watch again
Apr 7, 2023 8:57 AM
May 2017
i almost loved it
action was great
it felt a bit hastened and longer
maybe cause of more material than a usual shonen movie
it got a tear out of me too
i wasnt gonna till the damn crow
Apr 10, 2023 1:55 PM
Jan 2023
madew me cry rengu i mish u
Apr 11, 2023 12:24 AM
May 2020
fucking epic. it was truly a delight getting to watch this
Apr 15, 2023 12:08 PM
Jan 2021
It was Pretty Good and Interesting I'm Glad it Came out!
Apr 20, 2023 8:43 AM

Jan 2019
I remain baffled as to why Demon Slayer is as popular as it is. I still see it as mid plot, comedy and characters carried by beautifully animated action set pieces.

Apr 20, 2023 2:45 PM
Aug 2021
I forgot how much of a bubbly person Rengoku was.  Inosuke is actually 2 funny bro is really trying to beat a train in a race and would he even survive the initial jump off the train? Damn, that demon roar actually hurt my ears🤣🤣🤣🤣. How did Inosuke end up sleeping on top of Zenistu😂.

This guy is a master manipulator bro uses people's sadness to his advantage and is a literal drug to them😅. Tanjiro seeing his siblings made me teary eyed this is the first time in a while we have seen him truly mourn.  The way he can attach and despatch his limbs creeps me out. 

It's funny but kind of saddening that Zenitsu has Nezuko in his dreams and no one else because he has never truly had anyone else. Inosuke's dreams are the most relatable😂😂. Damn, Rengoku's dad has ice in his veins with is ironic🤣. Wait that was Rengoku's dream I thought he was just having a flashback. If that is one of his happiest dreams or fantasy that is a testimony to his character and the type of man he is. DAMN SON Rengoku isn't Hashira for no reason Bro bodied her IN HIS SLEEP. 

Nezuko is 2 adorable😁 That fire transformation was certi. I have seen this all before and it still pulls on my heartstrings but I remember the first time I watched this I cried seeing his brother (Rokuta) run after him. How did Inosuke even manage to hunt her down, is it his beast survival instinct? I thought it was just Rengoku.

Even asleep Zenitsu is 2 funny🤣🤣🤣🤣 if that guy was a girl maybe he could have survived. What the hell is Tanjiro's dad some powerful ghost like this is serious plot armour where the hell did his dad come from😅😅. The willpower to cut your own neck is crazy I have to respect Tanjiro and his sheer indefatigability makes him a feared opponent in any realm of human endeavour. (ifykyk🤣🤣🤣🤣).

Bro is evil showing him such a dark and twisted dream. He is a bastard for this one.

Villians need to learn to stop talking he could have killed everyone if he didn't tell Tanjiro he fused his body with the train. I'm SORRY WHAT????? INOSUKE PUNCHED THROUGH MEATL????????????????? What are his BONES MADE OF???????? This guy reminds me of Hisoka they are both so creepy and 100% gay🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Look at Zenistu coming through like a knight in shining armour. Rengoku is him BRO LIFITED A WHOLE TRAIN😅😅. Inosuke has a very foul mouth.  Bro nearly jabaited Tanjiro into killings himself IRL🤣🤣🤣🤣. Tanjiro is a better man than me I would let that man die😂 unless the holy spirit took over and help me stay focused and righteous that man is dying😂.

Even whilst panicking Inosuke manages to call him by the wrong name "Santaro". How can they stop themselves from bleeding just by breathing? I swear down Saiyans need to learn these breathing techniques and Haki to get that extra power boost.

Why are they called waxing and waning now I thought it was upper and lower but yeah why is he here😂.  Aww that is cute Zenitsu has Nezuko in his arms as he bleeds. Rengoku's speech about humans destiny is something I still can't wrap my head around because I fear death.
I've said this before and I will say this again demons to an extent are really weak if it wasn't for their healing factor a lot of these guys would die very quickly. That close-up scene of Akaza and Rengoku fighting was beautiful the animation was crisp as well 🥶🥶. Akaza in his own twisted way genuinely wants Rengoku to live.

Is it just me or does Rengoku's mum look like Muzan? These war cries between all of these warriors including Akaza played on some weird tribal instinct of mine and made me want to go 2 war as well 😂. Man, there have been so many wonderful speeches in this single movie. Us getting 2 see Tanjiro from Rengoku's perspective was some beautiful animation.

Rengoku the definition of a real man defend everyone and accepted death with dignity and grace.  Where did the Slayers find these talking crows?
May 6, 2023 7:24 AM
Sep 2009
It made me shed the thug-est of tears in the theater.
May 16, 2023 7:23 PM
Jun 2015
This movie was great and I almost started crying at the ending when Rengoku dies ;-;
May 19, 2023 11:48 PM
Feb 2017
Very nice film, like it when they kill people off the show
May 21, 2023 3:33 AM
May 2022
The demon series was really interesting and have a good plot
May 22, 2023 7:41 PM
May 2023
it was fire🔥🔥
Jun 11, 2023 9:26 AM
Jun 2023
i love Demon slayer <33
Jun 13, 2023 4:03 AM

Jan 2017
That train demon was weak af.
Decent movie, I expected more scenes of the flame Hashira guy.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Jun 16, 2023 2:26 PM
Jun 2023
Best demon slayer arc animated overall (Fight goes to Gyutaro vs Tengen)
Jun 17, 2023 11:03 PM

Jun 2017
Kyoujurou could've won! He really could've won! He was just too unlucky that Akaza managed to escape. It will be satisfying if it's Tanjirou who will beat Akaza in the end.

Am I the only one who finds Kyoujurou's mother resembling Muzan? lol It's got something to do with their eyes.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jun 25, 2023 6:17 PM
Jun 2017
very nice movie, great animation, the story was decent. Super salty about rengoku's death though
Jun 27, 2023 12:25 PM
Oct 2018
Animation and story were top notch. 10/10
Jun 30, 2023 3:56 PM
Jan 2018
Shocking movie. I'd recommend it without a doubt.
Aug 1, 2023 7:46 PM
Mar 2020
truly a masterpiece
Aug 6, 2023 7:14 AM
Aug 2022
The fight between Akaza and Rengoku was one of the best I’ve seen. I enjoyed it a lot, even though the movie seems to be a little scarce on plot details and the story is a little shaky. I cried my eyes out too.
Aug 6, 2023 12:58 PM
Jul 2023
I’m still crying…
Aug 12, 2023 12:13 AM
Aug 2023
overall nice storyline!
Aug 20, 2023 4:42 PM
Aug 2023
Made me cry because of Doughnut
Aug 24, 2023 10:24 PM
Feb 2023
OMG I cried so much
Aug 28, 2023 11:37 PM
Aug 2023
Its so cool, but i really sad that rengoku kyojuro is death
Sep 3, 2023 3:58 AM
Jun 2020
i enjoyed it :))))))))))
Oct 26, 2023 9:39 PM
Sep 2020
Great Animation and Story
Oct 31, 2023 9:07 PM
Mar 2023
Absolutely gorgeous animation with a sad ending. I gave Season 1 7/10, but the film is a definite 8/10 and may turn into a 9/10 in the future.
Nov 15, 2023 1:33 PM
Dec 2020
That was pretty epic and very cool
Nov 22, 2023 12:45 AM

Dec 2012
Even being caught up on the newer seasons, Rengoku vs Akaza is still peak DS. The whole mood of the film changes when Akaza shows up. That theme of what demon vs human really embodies is driven home between Akaza's unrelenting regeneration vs Rengoku's mortality. But it's within those limits that willpower becomes unbound and fighting spirit transcends infinity. This time around, I also felt really attached to the theme of mortality and better respected Rengoku's resolve in the face of a certain end. The way he passes with a smile really inspires the desire to live such that those final moments can be equally rewarding.

9/10
Nov 24, 2023 4:15 PM
Apr 2020
Great movie overall, loved how every character got their moment in the spotlight and there were some amazing scenes here. Obviously the final fight takes the cake for me, sad as hell at the end but such a great fight
Nov 30, 2023 11:15 PM

Nov 2023
What an amazing adaptation that was and what an amazing fight it was. Donut-san, your sacrifice will not be in vain.
Dec 31, 2023 9:55 PM
Jul 2021
"How dare you think I'd rewatch Rengoku's death AGAIN". I say, watching it and crying over Rengoku for the 4th time.
Dec 31, 2023 10:39 PM

Jul 2021
Even though i watched the Mugen train anime i decided to watch the movie, and it was worth it.

Seeing Akaza and Rengoku fight again was amazing.

Seeing Enmu in action again was cool.

7/10

Feb 26, 9:44 PM
Feb 2024
this is ok... but i think this is overrated
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» So the movie was pointless? ( 1 2 )

ibm30rpg - Sep 26, 2021

60 by Early_Morning »»
Jan 7, 11:31 PM

Poll: » Movie or show?

Fishb0i - May 28, 2023

24 by Fishb0i »»
Aug 3, 2023 2:48 AM

» enmu

blaze_sir - Apr 26, 2023

11 by NotScout70 »»
Apr 28, 2023 8:17 AM

» Plot hole? Or me being ignorant. (Spoilers)

lFrogs - Mar 26, 2022

13 by Ridzaxster »»
Jan 25, 2023 11:34 PM

» for people who have watched the movie vers of mugen only!!

b3llamy - Jan 4, 2022

15 by crystal_yuy »»
Jan 22, 2023 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.