Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 7, 2019 6:06 AM
Apr 2019
An anime that seems really happy and cute but has a dark or depressing turn. The only thing I can think like this is Doki Doki Literature Club, but that isn't an anime. I dont know if there even is an anime for what im looking for.
Dec 7, 2019 6:27 AM

Oct 2018
The first thing that came to my mind is Gakkougurashi. But it plays its cards pretty early.
Dec 7, 2019 6:50 AM

Mar 2019
Then I really would recommend The promised neverland for ya.
Thank you for reading my post.
Because I wouldn't.
Dec 7, 2019 6:59 AM

May 2012
Shadow Star Narutaru - the sunny opening episode is incredibly deceptive
Dec 7, 2019 7:33 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
* l a u g h s i n m e g u c a *

Shall I introduce you to the small but growing world of seinen/dark/edgy magical girl series?
It's been a bit of a recent trend after Puella Magi Madoka Magica came out, but that's not to say that this genre wasn't done before Madoka... so I'll add some older entries that were like this as well.
I haven't even watched some of these, but I'll add them anyway just so you know that they're like this.
This isn't a conclusive list and there's definitely more dark magical girl series than this list, but for the sake of not clogging up your thread too much of a subgenre of my favorite anime genre, I'll just leave it at this

There's also Air if you want a more tearjerking and non-magical girl recommendation that's like your criteria.
Dec 7, 2019 7:35 AM

May 2019
Made in Abyss
I thought it was a kid anime at first glance, but it isn’t lol. The dark scene begins around middle of the series.
Dec 7, 2019 1:36 PM

Mar 2016
+1 for The Promised Neverland and Made in Abyss.

Happy Sugar Life comes to mind, but it gets dark very quickly. Still, I think it does a good job playing with these contrasts.
Dec 7, 2019 8:37 PM

May 2019
+++++++++++++++++1 for Granbelm

Egao no Daika
Idolmaster Xenoglossia (takes a while to get to that point but it's worth it)
Martian Successor Nadesico (still retains the comedy/parody aspect, but it gets realer than you'd expect from a parody show)
Eureka Seven
Magic Knight Rayearth
RideBack
Robotics;Notes
Revue Starlight to an extent
Gunbuster
Dec 8, 2019 1:00 AM
Nov 2019
Re:zero kinda does but its also a bit dark in the beginning too so idk.
Dec 8, 2019 3:04 AM

Dec 2017
Happy Sugar Life - a female high schooler's love for a child
Charlotte - starts off sweet and chill, until the last few episodes...
+1 Gakkougurashi
School days - most people hate this anime lol, but it does get REALLY messed up and dark
Dec 8, 2019 3:21 AM

Apr 2011
+1 Promised Neverland
+1 Made in Abbys
+1 School Days

Angel Beats
Bokurano
Mawaru Penguindrum
Shinsekai Yori
Dec 8, 2019 8:35 AM

Nov 2014
+1 Mawaru Penguindrum

Also Princess Tutu and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

And Kemono no Souja Erin, that sarts as your typical slice of life series with a fantasy setting... And then you watched episode 7.
Dec 9, 2019 2:17 AM
Jul 2018
+1 School Live
+1 Madoka Magica
+1 Made in Abyss
+1 Narutaru
+1 Princess Tutu
+1 Magic Knight Rayearth

and also:
Scrapped Princess: Seems like a lighthearted fantasy adventure at first, by the climax you'll be questioning both the "lighthearted" and the "fantasy" part of that description. While also drowning in tears.
Digimon Tamers: It's a kids show so it's kind of mild compared to the other examples, but it really does push the envelope for what's acceptable for kids when it does get dark.
Trigun: Starts out an action comedy, then shit just hits the fan and the feels don't stop coming. The manga is even worse (read: better) in that regard.
Key the Metal Idol: Granted, it already starts out looking kind of bleak, but the basic premise, "robot girl must make 30,000 friends in order to become human" is straight out of a cutesy 80's magical girl anime, while the execution is anything but.
Hunter x Hunter: Starts out a typical Shonen Jump adventure... Then the Chimera Ant arc happens.
Magical Princess Minky Momo: Again this is a kids show so it's somewhat mild compared to the other anime, but something really shocking happens to the heroine in episode 46. She does get better (sort of) but it's pretty fucked up considering how sickeningly saccharine the rest of the show is.
removed-userDec 11, 2019 10:48 PM
Dec 11, 2019 3:35 AM

May 2018
Someone else said Gakkou Gurashi but I also recommend it if you haven't watched it and I feel like its what your looking for.
Dec 11, 2019 6:39 AM
Dec 11, 2019 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
Everyone knows this anime, which is HxH 2011. It's below average, but answers your question
Dec 29, 2019 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
Welcome to the NHK, the first 1/3 of the series really had reached the peak of comedy yet it turned to be one of the darkest slice of life anime ever.

More topics from this board

» Looking for anime like Aria the Animation and Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

AdityaRizkiS - 7 hours ago

4 by Chisuku »»
30 minutes ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
4 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
5 hours ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
5 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

9 by JoeChip »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.