Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 4, 2019 12:05 PM

Apr 2011
This is a good season, imo. But I still liked the previous ones better.

Anyway, can't wait for the sequel!

8/10

Sep 8, 2019 4:45 AM

May 2016
I tense from the beginning till end thats why I love competitive sport anime shows.

Ikuya and Natusya race was incredible, and Rin was a real shark in the water.

Haru is building up some good fire power into his engine, I can't wait for the new movie.

7/10 would have been 8 if not for all that drama.
Nov 14, 2019 10:58 AM

Jul 2013
I rewatched the 1st and 2nd season and High Speed before going into season 3 and I must say it was the best decision I ever made. It made me remember just how much I absolutely love this franchise. This sequel is exactly what I wanted. I'm so glad Free managed to break free from the "graduation curse" and gave us more of their lives after Eternal Summer. I do believe season 2 was the peak of Free. It was literally perfect in every way but this sequel is also great in its own right. It's amazing how KyoAni has managed to keep Free this interesting for so long. I wouldn't have minded if it ended at season 2 or High Speed but it's clear that they have a goal in mind for the franchise and that they want to see it reach a definite conclusion. I respect them for that and I fully support them.

Seeing everyone pursue their dreams in college, seeing old faces from High Speed and the boys at Iwatobi and Samezuka doing their best to lead their swimming clubs. The journey from high school to college until they reach the world championship is just heartwarming and very emotional. It's like watching your own children grow. The emotional value is just as strong as the previous seasons and the way everything ties together is just amazing. It's very evident that KyoAni has put a lot of thought into this franchise.

I seriously can't wait to see the movie. I know it's postponed until further notice but I'm still hyped. It's definitely going to be the end of the franchise and I'm here waiting to see it. To see Haru take on the world and the other guys pursuing their dreams.
Nov 21, 2019 4:09 PM

Jun 2014
We'll have to wait until 2020 to learn the outcome of Haru and Rin's race together, but it sounded like Haru was doing well in it.

This was great. I don't really understand all the negative comments saying that there was "too much drama," as I enjoyed it. I'm definitely excited to see the movie, and hopefully more of the sexy Nao.

Dec 24, 2019 2:29 PM

Jul 2015
Kind of feelt mad that I was left hanging at the end of the ep. I love Ikuya but the drama between him and his shitty friend was over done in my opinion and it should have ended sooner than it did. I also wished that Rin whould have gotten more screen time as I truly miss him (plus he is my favorite so YnY). However, I am so proud of my boys and of how much they have matured over the years. This anime means a lot to me. I discoverd it in 2014 when the second season was just airing out and I could relate to the themes and the problems that the characters were facing. I was 14 at the time, now I am on my 3rd year in university and it made me happy to see them go throught some of the shit that I go throught on daily basis xD. Anyway, I am really hyped up for the next season ♡
DeadAngel14Dec 24, 2019 3:05 PM
I am sleepy
Jul 5, 2020 1:46 AM

Jun 2020
that opening scene in this episode brought me back to haru's opening scene in free! season 1 ep1 in the tub. felt so full circle✿

loved that race between the brothers. i also really love natsuya's character design when i saw him in take your marks i was like this is a god (but my love for rin runs deep)

that ocean scene where rin mako haru were just basking in the water أ‿أ

this was a great season finale!!

dive to the future was a hot mess but my love for free really overlooks all of that. with only 12 eps and such a massive cast the main characters and characters you really want to get more of really lacked the screen time and development, hoping that it will all be balanced out in the next season as all of the characters were all unique with much stories to tell and they were all really interesting! really liked asahi and also loved the addition of new female characters would absolutely love to see more of them. and i just didn't get enough of my main boys

tldr i just want more rin

8/10 overall for personal enjoyment even though weird (at times dreadful even) pacing and storytelling was repeated at times but so nostalgic, great to see them in university setting, bomb OP, animation was great and i love rin

it's 2020 can't wait for the rest of the free series installments unsure how much is delayed due to kyoani arson but i can't wait i miss the boys already!✿♥‿♥✿

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jul 20, 2020 7:55 PM

Apr 2016
I'm satisfied with the way this third season ended. It was heartwarming to see the Kirishima brothers race. Ikuya was first place and Natsuya was second :) That moment when Natsuya hugged Ikuya meant so much - and the brothers cried T___T Ikuya dealt with conflicting emotions from middle school to university, and seeing him on his own two feet as such a great swimmer... It's so lovely to see how much Ikuya has grown, and he's not in Natsuya's shadows either. And we have Natsuya who wants to compete in the world championships, so we won't see him travel the world for prize money anymore xD

I liked how casual it was when Asahi said bye to Haru and Makoto, and then Kisumi naturally said bye too lol. They don't live together, yet they're so attached to each other :P And it was nice how comfortable it was for Asahi to ask Kisumi for a drive home <3 (Nagisa's nicknames for everyone is a bonus haha)

That moment when Haru shared his thoughts with Makoto and Rin at the beach was pleasant <3 Makoto is excited about becoming a trainer, and Rin has continuous passion to swim. Haru really reflected on Azuma's "You can't gain that kind of strength without throwing something else away" advice. Since Haru doesn't want to throw anything away, it was a mental moment for him and he was third place... Haru's scream was really a moment for him to let out the tension he was feeling. After he ran to the water, it was just lovely that Makoto and then Rin followed him, and we see the three friends floating on the water :-)

We also didn't have the opening theme song played this time. But it was pleasant to see Haru's mother at the kitchen sink. It was her back, but she was affectionate when she patted Haru on the head and then turned the tap to him, where he felt the water. And it was indeed impressive to learn that Haru was able to crawl in the water, without being taught before he was in kindergarten! It really shows that Haru has had a connection with water for practically his whole life.

It was sad that Azuma's close friend in the past was in an accident. But instead of visiting the friend, Azuma raced. Yet, I can imagine how that incident affected Azuma mentally, hence he lost his race. And when we see Azuma visit the friend at the hospital...the friend was on a hospital bed in a dark room. Maybe the friend passed away or was in a coma??

Hopefully, we'll see the results of Rin and Haru's match in the 2020 movie! And in the post-credits part, we see Albert watching the news and smiling at Haru's match. We should see Albert next time as well :-)
Oct 22, 2020 6:39 PM

Oct 2019
When they Haru and Rin said "dive to the future" at the end right before their race i jokingly said to myself "roll credits". . . and then the credits starting rolling shjkgisidfhjkaiusdjvks.

I don't know why, but i've been enjoying Free a lot more than i used to. c:

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Aug 20, 2021 3:40 PM
Sep 2018
Let's talk about the episode:

We see a lot of very good swimmers like Mikoshiba losing for example so we can easily imagine the level...

The trial of the two Kirishima brothers was also incredible and we can see that Ikuya surpassed his brother by a little bit even if I think that Natsuya can be better if he trains.

Kinjo ? Seriously ? he is too strong and he has a crazy flow. I'm quite sad for Asahi

Rin is qualified, it's cool, he beat some pros, it's crazy anyway. But it's a pity for Haru, he's so strong that it disturbed him, I think he could have qualified just like that, I love him too much. The discussion between Makoto, Rin and Haru was too good.

Let's talk about Free! :

This anime is really amazing, it entered my top 3. I like everything in this anime: The sport, the flow of almost all the characters, the very interesting topics of life, the motivations of everyone, etc... I can't say everything, there are too many positive points. I cried, I laughed, I enjoyed this anime, I thought about the interesting topics that can impact my life.

This anime has opened my eyes to many things about myself. For example it motivates me extremely for the next part of my life because I'm going to study sports and Free! has inspired me a lot. I'm going to do better, so I liked everything about this anime except the fact that there are only 12 episodes per season, I want more! But hey there are still two movies don't cry ahah

I love Free!

11/10 for me
Aug 22, 2021 6:28 PM

Nov 2016
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

-

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I'm just going to start by saying I cannot believe this series is almost over. I had started the first season of Free! back in high school, but never got around to finishing it. During the summer of last year, I decided to give it another shot, and I'm so glad I did. Up until now, I have watched every season, movie, and OVA this incredible series had to offer, and every little bit was so enjoyable with so many laughs and built-up tension I felt in my chest before big races, like the ones in the past two episodes.

What I especially adored about the last two episodes of this season was how it was shown how far characters like Rei, Nagisa, Rin, and Haru had come, from the time they first began swimming, all the way up to some of the most important competitions of their lives. Some of the flashbacks truly were inspirational and motivational, and I felt so happy for these characters, since their swimming careers are just beginning and I'm sure they'll do some big things when they dive into the future. :)

Lastly, I wanted to mention one of the final scenes, where Rin, Haru, and Makoto were hanging out on the beach in Tokyo, filled with hope for their future endeavors. When the three of them ran into the ocean and floated together in the waves - to me, it seemed as though they finally became content with themselves and who they wanted to become. They felt - and are - free! For the three of them, that was probably one of the most pivotal moments in their lives. It's only up from here. 😊

"Bring it on, world!" ~ Haruka Nanase
Sep 4, 2021 9:31 AM

May 2013
dang so Haru could swam without learning before kindergarten. the heck
didn't expect the yelling at all lol totally not him at all
too bad he lost but oh well I'm so curious what will gonna happen next
thinking that Azuma's friend who passed away was Rin's dad? nah it's impossible

made by bunnyama
Apr 6, 2022 6:21 AM

Feb 2020
This was a very disappointing season.

All the new characters were more or less boring. Also, all that unnecessary drama ruined so many episodes.
Aug 9, 2022 3:43 PM
Jul 2022
Cool Episode and cool season. I really like the concept of different types of freedom. What it can mean for every person and how to achieve it.
Jul 15, 2023 3:10 AM

Jul 2015
While not as good as previous seasons, like the whole Ikuya drama felt dragged out thanks to the annoying AF Hiroyi, still had some nice moments with the reunion of old friends and also the lads facing this new challenge called All-Japan Invitational.

Jul 25, 2023 1:10 AM
Jul 2021
So we reach the end of a rather weak journey. One of the few good things about this season was that we got to see the team together and their friendship.

But in overall this season was weaker than previous ones, way too much teen drama, something that the show makes "fun off" in this last episode when Rin says. "What kind of teen drama is this" My  EXACT THOUGHTS! 

Oh also, I come from the future and that see you in 2020... At the end.....Cringe.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2018

30 by wvni »»
Mar 12, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

18 by KiRobunny »»
Aug 14, 2023 10:36 PM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2018

39 by Dawizz »»
Jul 22, 2023 1:25 AM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2018

44 by Dawizz »»
Jul 20, 2023 6:05 AM

» is Free! Dive to the Future worth completing?

momo_jan - Aug 15, 2021

13 by Dawizz »»
Jul 17, 2023 11:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.