Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 7, 2020 10:05 AM

Dec 2016
plot problems aside, kinda liked this ending - felt comfortably mundane.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 20, 2020 1:11 PM

Feb 2008
A really entertaining, and equally as much inconsistent read. Excellent for a binge, and it never really gets boring (although, the pacing wasn't always the best). My two biggest gripes were characterization and the direction of the story, as a whole. The ending was actually ok for an epilogue, with some steps skipped along the way. The rushjob wouldn't even be that noticeable if the author decided which approach to take in general. Was it more symbolic and psychological or was it really aliens, or some kind of natural counterforce to how bad humans have treated the planet. I feel like the author was indecisive about such key points on how the story was supposed to progress.

Also, the characterization was really lacking. Hideo grows a pair for what it's worth, and even that is not too impressive, but the others are kind of just there for the most part. By the end of it, I was wondering what was the point of how much we've seen from the Kurusu and Asada/Korori factions, I didn't really understand what their motivations were other than surviving and gratuitous violence for whatever reason. The outcast angle was a miss, same as Hideo's internal struggles which were gone for a good chunk of the story, despite being so present in the first volume. I was also baffled by how and why
. Kind of felt like a cop out, because the author didn't know how to resolve the romantic triangle.

I wouldn't go out of my way to give out this manga as a general recommendation, but I also think it's an ok read for a zombie story with some variations if the reader can forgive some uncanny valley territory and accompanying tropes for the genre.

Sep 9, 2020 4:07 PM

Sep 2017
Maybe it's because I binged it but I felt like the ending was really fitting. Hideo had wanted to go hunting from the start and he had always told himself that he wanted time to work on his manga- but in the end he just used that time to continue surviving but at least he finally got to go hunting. It was his 'rival' who used his time to develop his manga in the end. That's why Korori was always a better mangaka than Hideo. He worked harder and he still works harder.

Reading this during the pandemic is interesting too. Haven't I always said that I wished I had more time to focus on my art? And yet all I do is survive and binge read manga. And all Hideo does is continue to survive even with all the time in the world to create that thousand year manga he dreamed about. Still talking to himself. He's as alone now as he was in the first volume.

I'm okay with not getting all the answers in the end. Hideo's story arc made sense. He ended up back where he had started but more comfortable being alone.
Dec 26, 2020 12:53 AM

Dec 2008
This manga went to shit after oda died. Way too many unresolved and unsatisfactory plot points and it just felt pointless at the end. My two biggest feelings were “why?” and “what was the point”? The manga also ceased to be scary after that one pregnant woman and baby zombie scene way back. Honestly, what was the point of all the side characters’ stories? Too many were absolutely pointless and went nowhere in the end. Very disappointing and anger-inducing manga that had a lot of promise, but ultimately sucked hard at the end; I much prefer Resentiment’s ending better, the author’s other work. At least this ending wasn’t as bad as Prison School’s.
Jan 13, 2021 4:06 PM
Jun 2017
The manga was amazing pretty much all the way until the last 5 chapters, and especially this chapter, where the whole thing just crashed and burned. It literally felt like his editors told him he had to finish the story quickly and so he made the ending as deeply unsatisfying as possible just to spite them.

If this was genuinely a creative decision, to have it end the way it did, I don't think I'll read any more of his works. To say this ending was unsatisfying would be an understatement. This is BAD writing.

Stories are meant to have an ending. This wasn't an ending. This was releasing a book with the final 20-50 pages removed due to some kind of printing error.

I am just shocked and deeply saddened by how fruitless and empty the "ending" was. If anyone knows a doujinshi or fan manga that ends the story in a different way, I would appreciate it if someone linked me to it.

Also check out this quite from an interview with the author back in 2013:

Will Hideo be the last survivor in this world?

H. K. : I wonder. I don’t know yet, but I have a vague idea of what will happen. In general, in most zombie films it ends without really knowing what they are. I hope to give an answer to that.
Dreadful_UtopiaJan 14, 2021 4:28 AM
Mar 1, 2021 11:41 AM
Sep 2017
This was, by a long stretch, the most unfulfilling ending I've ever seen in my life. In fact, I find it hard to consider it as such, and it feels more like an unfinished manga the more I think about it.

The pacing was great, for the most part. When Oda died it really felt like it was undeserved, but this is often the case for post-catastrophe stories, so I let it slide.

But then comes the ending. What was the point of all the world-building when nothing was explained in the end? Everything that happened was for naught.

I read a few others commenting that Hideo's ending was perfect. My dudes, that's simply not the case. I speed-read this in a weekend, so most of the story is still somewhat fresh in my head.

Hideo longed for the recognition, to be seen as a real Hero. At the beginning, and right before Hiromi woke up, he had many internal issues to deal with. After Hiromi expressed her desire to live together with him, he showed genuine excitement and was really looking forward to it. His character grew a lot. He also stated many times that he wanted his manga to be serialized, and that he was tired of being a side character. And let's not forget all of those times when other characters encouraged him, by telling him that he could become really popular, specially among the ladies. He deserved SO MUCH better than this.

I estimate that we were, at the very least, 100 chapters short of an actual ending. There were way too many plot points left in the air.

Now unfortunately, I will have to put this manga away; a place in my mind where I will not be reminded of it because of this sad excuse of an "ending".
Aug 14, 2021 11:43 AM

Jun 2015
If we had gotten some answers to things before this ending, it would have been really cool. But now I'm just left salty that we'll never know why zombies happened, what was the uterus, what was Kurusu... Oh well. At least I don't have to think about this manga again.
Aug 31, 2021 10:19 AM
Jun 2020
I'm really really dissatisfied with what the author did with Hiromi, Oda, and the ending in general tbh, really confused as hell too, i still wish hiromi didn't up and go join the giant zombie tho
Sep 6, 2021 7:12 PM
Aug 2015
Listen if you thought the ending was bad... *joker voice* you didn't get it.
Sep 15, 2021 1:26 PM

Jul 2016
Ending itself wasnt bad imo. Just the lot of unanswered questions felt bad. If they did'nt build up to these plot points like they did, it wouldnt have been a problem. But this kinda stings. Eh nothing you can do about it. Journey was good, destination forgettable.
Oct 4, 2021 12:44 PM

Apr 2017
And so it ends. I'm not really that upset about the ending, I sort of expected it not to have a neat explanation of everything that happened. What we did get to see is that the virus was alien in origin, the aliens probably succeeded in colonizing the planet and are waiting for...something? Maybe for all the brains to finish assimilating within their nests? For the remaining survivors to die off? We have just as many answers as Hideo does, despite being privy to more information.

What's curious is that Hideo never came across another survivor in Tokyo. Either he didn't travel around much, there were no survivors, or he just missed them. Either way, it looks like Hiromi was correct in Hideo suffering more by being left alive with only his thoughts as company and support. It's a fairly interesting way to see how well Hideo can adapt to the new conditions, though whether he will live out the rest of his days like this or end it before his time is up to anyone's guess.

One wonders why Hideo didn't go meet the old fisherman after all this went down — unless Hideo was somehow incapacitated for a bit by the part of the nest that swallowed him? I don't mind Hiromi's ending; in fact, I'm satisfied that it didn't turn into a cliché "girl gets rescued and big bad gets defeated" ending. Because no one knows if the big bad was defeated, whether it won, or whether it simply abandoned its plan and went off in search of another planet.

8/10 - good moments, well-done suspense, fell a bit short in the end.
Pande91Oct 4, 2021 12:47 PM
Oct 9, 2021 12:41 AM

Nov 2014
Everything was great up until... well, last 5 chapters?
Not the worst ending, but sure its the most unsatisfying one
Dec 11, 2021 4:55 PM
Jun 2015
I feel like the series was good up to the last few arcs. Then it started dipping and then fell off a cliff at the very end.
Jul 24, 2022 12:55 AM
Jan 2020
Like the last 3 manga's I've read has like rushed ass endings and now this
Jul 29, 2022 11:54 PM

Jan 2017
Probably the laziest ending ever... anyone could've come up with it. But I guess it makes sense. It's a bad ending in Hideo's life, too. It's just a shame that with so much insight into how the ZQN operate; the inside of their minds; all that beyond-supernatural stuff, but we can't find out how they were made. Maybe that Italian was right about it all, and we're supposed to take it for granted: aliens wanted to eliminate the humans and build a society there... but if that's the case, then apparently they failed... why?
Those are questions unnecessarily left unanswered, when there were so many answers to many other questions for no reason, the way I see it.
Loved Ezaki's arc. That's a relatable fella.
Aug 2, 2022 10:14 AM

Jun 2020
I wasn't satisfied with the ending, it was okay, but still a lot of unanswered questions. The Epilogue, at least for me, saves the manga in my opinion. No real explanation, but at least better "closure"
Sep 2, 2022 7:50 PM
Mar 2022
There's some much to love and hate in this series. The ending makes you feel empty, but it's by design... you just think about all the conversations and all the relationships that led up to it, and it's hard for you to grasp the series going in that direction. But I think that was the point. Where the meaning is that life doesn't answer your questions, live isn't fair, and you just have to keep going. When I think about it that way, I really do think the series is purposely apt. 8/10 rushed ending.
Jan 8, 2023 1:16 PM

Dec 2015
I agree 100% with you
Apr 9, 2023 5:48 PM
Oct 2014
>Hiromi devolving into a crazy jealous bitch after she was able to get down with Hideo was more frustrating.
Make sense coming from a young woman, probably abused as a child, being insecure about her first love and his pasts relationships.

>but we can't find out how bad virus is made
Not everything needs a canonical answer.

>what was the uterus
Time to re-read Salvador Dali-like character dialogue.

>what was Kurusu
Speedreaders spotted.

>how did granny became younger and all
Fused for a small time with a being able to freely modify its corpse, thus getting granted get-young-again bonus in the process

What is so great about this open ending is it's going to live rent-free in minds of people and we could keep talking about it years later.

Masterpiece tbh.
May 1, 2023 7:03 PM
Oct 2022
Wherever i go, i see ending defenders, shit
May 1, 2023 7:04 PM
Oct 2022
It went down hill since Oda (best girl) dies
Oct 29, 2023 5:23 PM

Apr 2022
the way people talked shit about this ending, i was gearing myself up for a ntr ending or an ending where the last 200+ chapters were just a part of hideo's dream and he wakes up, but it's not even nearly as bad as they claimed. now i realize people are just mad because kengo went for a realistic ending over one to please the readers lol. can't say i love the ending but i was never expecting a happy end anyway, it's sad in it's own way but it feels right. i'm glad hideo is alive at least, he's alone but that's life. he's a great character and i'm glad he got someone to talk to at the end.
it has some unanswered questions but it's pretty much the same ones most zombie movies have, such as how did the infection start, so i don't mind it too much since i'm used to it. oda's death was very very unfortunate, i would've preferred her and hideo to survive together but at the same time i can respect kengo not going for a disney ending. still miss oda though but at least she died as a human. oda and hiromi's conclusions are both not great but ay, that's the apocalypse for you.
i really liked every side story, like the ezaki one, kurusu's first group and even the tower one with those italian people. a lot of great arcs and i loved the eeriness depicted here even with the rain and dark weather scenes, that's exactly my cup of tea. however, the only side story i couldn't bring myself to give a shit about is the return of nakata, i guess it's nice how he holds hideo in high regard and that other girl who's infected in her leg only but i didn't care about the rest. oh, also didn't care about asada and his religion uprising but we move.
the giant zombie hybrid thing is where you knew this wasn't going to have a happy ending because how the fuck do you even defeat that? the last15 chapters or so felt a bit of a step down but the rest of this manga was great. i like how the first 10 chapters were for just character building, and then we go in to the apocalypse after we've understood the characters. great art, great plot, great mc and some more likeable characters. easily my favorite "horror" animanga by a mile and as a zombie fan, one of my favorite zombie fiction now.
a very enjoyable read with a melancholic ending where our mc stays as the lonely hero, overall a 9/10 for me. it's a near miss but i wouldn't mind rereading this. cheers to hanazawa kengo for creating the best zombie animanga.
Oct 30, 2023 12:24 AM

Dec 2015
Reply to ryzxgum
the way people talked shit about this ending, i was gearing myself up for a ntr ending or an ending where the last 200+ chapters were just a part of hideo's dream and he wakes up, but it's not even nearly as bad as they claimed. now i realize people are just mad because kengo went for a realistic ending over one to please the readers lol. can't say i love the ending but i was never expecting a happy end anyway, it's sad in it's own way but it feels right. i'm glad hideo is alive at least, he's alone but that's life. he's a great character and i'm glad he got someone to talk to at the end.
it has some unanswered questions but it's pretty much the same ones most zombie movies have, such as how did the infection start, so i don't mind it too much since i'm used to it. oda's death was very very unfortunate, i would've preferred her and hideo to survive together but at the same time i can respect kengo not going for a disney ending. still miss oda though but at least she died as a human. oda and hiromi's conclusions are both not great but ay, that's the apocalypse for you.
i really liked every side story, like the ezaki one, kurusu's first group and even the tower one with those italian people. a lot of great arcs and i loved the eeriness depicted here even with the rain and dark weather scenes, that's exactly my cup of tea. however, the only side story i couldn't bring myself to give a shit about is the return of nakata, i guess it's nice how he holds hideo in high regard and that other girl who's infected in her leg only but i didn't care about the rest. oh, also didn't care about asada and his religion uprising but we move.
the giant zombie hybrid thing is where you knew this wasn't going to have a happy ending because how the fuck do you even defeat that? the last15 chapters or so felt a bit of a step down but the rest of this manga was great. i like how the first 10 chapters were for just character building, and then we go in to the apocalypse after we've understood the characters. great art, great plot, great mc and some more likeable characters. easily my favorite "horror" animanga by a mile and as a zombie fan, one of my favorite zombie fiction now.
a very enjoyable read with a melancholic ending where our mc stays as the lonely hero, overall a 9/10 for me. it's a near miss but i wouldn't mind rereading this. cheers to hanazawa kengo for creating the best zombie animanga.
@ryzxgum totally agree, hanazawa has the guts to keep his main characters as losers until the very end, see also ressentiment. maybe just the boxing manga had some glint of hope (I don't remember it very well), and still have to read under ninja.
Jan 8, 8:52 PM
Sep 2023
,i can see why people did not like the ending but I would argue the middle parts of this series were worse dragging on w/ a somewhat boring repetitve story of scavenging & killing "zombies" and I will also say the creature designs were not as fun as other horror series. but the background art was beautiful which it had pleeenty of, and the story of the post apocalyptic world wasnt as bad as other mangas of the genre I like the schitzo twists & the story I fell off & on here & there it does drag in some parts but it still held my attention it didnt just have my attention and then lull me to be bored to the end like other series liek hakaijuu. what i mean is it has more ot offer than just great art I'd argue so far this is so far the best zombie manga ever 7/10
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 228 Discussion

AcceleratorAngel - Jun 23, 2016

10 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 8:44 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 210 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13, 2016

8 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 7:51 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 207 Discussion

Stark700 - May 10, 2016

12 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 7:44 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 1 Discussion

Lamii - Oct 27, 2011

17 by Ani_sama423 »»
Mar 16, 10:24 AM

» official digital release when?

HibiChika - Feb 23

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
Feb 23, 6:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.