Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 27, 2017 6:14 PM

Apr 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What the heck is that ending?..

That's just sad. I would prefer if he died on the final event.
Feb 27, 2017 6:18 PM
Aug 2016
It was a series with alot of great moments, and a nice twist on the zombie setting. Really liked this one.
Feb 27, 2017 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
Loved the series as a whole, but I have to admit I was kind of hoping for some ass pull where Hiromi was actually okay right up to this last chapter.
Feb 27, 2017 7:02 PM

Oct 2014
Hmm so no lingering thoughts of what happened to Hiromi at all, what did Hideo feel? I guess the reality is too hard for him, his experience with the 3 girls is a bit tragic.

We don't learn anything about the zqn around the world, couldn't really expect Hideo or anyone to uncover anything.
Feb 27, 2017 7:24 PM

Nov 2011
The ending felt pretty underwhelming. Still, quite a memorable series from the start for such a long journey. It's just these past few chapters and this one that left my head scratching a bit.
Feb 27, 2017 8:08 PM
Feb 2017
Is it me or the last few chapters felt rushed? I mean there was alot of questions that still hasn't been answered.(we had a great run)
Feb 27, 2017 8:15 PM

Nov 2013
Was this manga canceled? I can't imagine the author wanted it to end this way.
Feb 27, 2017 8:22 PM

Sep 2015
Wut.
The only human in the city, hunting deers and talking to mannequins.
These past few chapters reminds me of the movie "I Am Legend".
Feb 27, 2017 8:36 PM
Dec 2008
Dropped this around volume 13 or 14. Recently heard that it was ending, so I figured I may as well finish the series.

Honestly, nothing was gained. That ending was especially appalling. The author left way too many plot points open, or just completely half assed them.

I felt like the story was going downhill when I originally dropped the series, around the bathhouse arc, but I never would have imagined just how hard it would crash and burn. While it's perfectly fine to leave plot points unresolved, especially when you want your audience to reach their own conclusions (as Kengo not so subtly hinted at with the Italy mini-arc), this isn't remotely close to how it should be done. Practically every single character arc left me feeling unfulfilled.
Feb 28, 2017 12:04 AM
Oct 2014
Well, hated it.
The author wanted a 'realistic' ending, I guess?
Feb 28, 2017 1:07 AM

Dec 2009
Well, that was totally anticlimatic. It's like it just stopped in the middle of it
Feb 28, 2017 1:32 AM

Jan 2014
Masterpiece

10/10

5/5

This manga is kinda very different from others series. Hideo never met Kurusu and anothers main groups and thats the point. Hideo is a lonely Hero and no one will hears about him.
Taito10Mar 9, 2017 3:27 PM
Feb 28, 2017 1:55 AM

Feb 2015
The manga feels weird towards the end, like it does not connect..

anyway gave it 8/10
Feb 28, 2017 2:41 AM

Sep 2016
I Am A Hero was absolutely one of my favorite manga when I was still reading it. This isn't the ending I preferred and I hoped it was going to run for at least a little longer, something like three volumes would've been nice. But I guess it's fine to have a bad ending for what was an amazing run of a series up until the very end. It kind of did leave a bad taste in my mouth though. Can't expect this is how Kengo wanted to end it, it must've been scrapped or something.
Feb 28, 2017 3:57 AM

Aug 2016
Manga got definitely cancelled too early, nothing else can explain ending this bad and rushed.
Feb 28, 2017 4:07 AM
Jul 2018
how can this be "rushed"? he literally had like 5 whole chapters to wrap things up but noooo instead he published MC's pathetic and lonely daily life after the ZQN left
went from 11/10 to 6/10 because of the ending
Feb 28, 2017 4:33 AM

Apr 2014
Wow.. hahaha

I always felt like the author, Kengo Hanazawa, had some psychological issues and surely some autistic problems (and I don't mean it as an insult, mind you). It does show in his manga, and it's pretty certain there is a lot of himself in Hideo's character.

I also don't believe it's a "rushed ending" , it's just that Kengo Hanazawa never had the intention to "please his reader", because, in fact, I do believe he never even thought too much about them. he just did what he wanted and felt like doing/showing or he "had to do" , what was in the inside world in his brain (until he was bored ?).

An interesting read to try to grasp a little more of his personality is the last chapter of "8 tales of the ZQN" ("Untold Creation Story"). I think it make it clear this guy have an unusual personality.

Anyway, it was an interesting read and even very good at times... well, at least, before Oda-san atrocious death (my favorit character in this manga, by far). After that I lost interest more and more, and didn't even cared what was happening in the end, but it's ok, I don't mind that much.
DullboyFeb 28, 2017 4:42 AM
Feb 28, 2017 4:49 AM

Jun 2009
Wha-

What the-

I mean...

WHAT THE FUCK????

I don't even know what to say. Have to rate this down to a 7/10 at best now...

I mean come on, that was a fucking slap across the face.
Feb 28, 2017 7:43 AM

Jul 2012
Hmm, a very pointless outcome... We didnt got any explanaitions about the ZNQ or Kurusus, the ending was inconclusive and the MC didnt learned or improved or did anything, besides being alive. Kinda disappointing.
Feb 28, 2017 7:57 AM

Jul 2015
Overall a very enjoyable manga.
I'm a bit sad that more or less none of the questions I had were answered, but what can you do?^^
Feb 28, 2017 9:11 AM

Oct 2011
A whole lot of nothing happened..
Can such a dream truely exist?
Feb 28, 2017 11:33 AM

Oct 2014
I realise that there are not many ways on how to end a zombie tale, but this was ridiculous. I can only hope that a sequel manga gets announced someday or something of that sort, way too many questions were left unanswered.
Feb 28, 2017 11:38 AM

Oct 2015
Had been a fan of this series for the past 2 years. Didn't expect the author leaving so many loose ends. Plot points like the purpose of kurusu's , reason for hiromis strong influence on the zqn structure, conclusion regarding the zqn were left unanswered

Really confused what rating to give this series. Was planning to give a 9 if it had a proper conclusion, but now I'm just confused.
Feb 28, 2017 12:41 PM

Jun 2015
Disappointing end for such an excellent manga.

I get what Kengo was going for: A "life goes on" and "realistic" kind of feel. Unfortunately with all of the questions he left unanswered it totally fell flat. Not because leaving questions unanswered is bad, but because he introduced questions and circled around them in the wrong way.

Take Kurusu talking to Hiromi for example as the queen. For us this immediately made us question why, however to Hideo, who didn't witness any of this she simply got taken away. Instead of showing us the conversation between Kurusu and Hiromi, why not just have the hivemind take her away infront of Hideo and leave us questioning why too?

No information to this would have made it all the more shocking, and impactful when we realised in this final chapter we will never find out why she was taken. Instead we have a glimpse of information which is completely useless.

I'm with the majority who think this git cancelled. It seemed rushed over the final 15 chapters roughly. I find it hard to believe Kengo wanted to end the manga like this. Something tells me he always wanted Hideo's life to go on alone, but Kengo wanted to answer the questions but couldn't.

Who knows.

The manga gets an 8 out of 10, could have been a 9 or maybe even a 10 if it didn't fall this flat. The rest of it was dope though.
Feb 28, 2017 1:24 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Vicis said:
Dropped this around volume 13 or 14. Recently heard that it was ending, so I figured I may as well finish the series.

Honestly, nothing was gained. That ending was especially appalling. The author left way too many plot points open, or just completely half assed them.

I felt like the story was going downhill when I originally dropped the series, around the bathhouse arc, but I never would have imagined just how hard it would crash and burn. While it's perfectly fine to leave plot points unresolved, especially when you want your audience to reach their own conclusions (as Kengo not so subtly hinted at with the Italy mini-arc), this isn't remotely close to how it should be done. Practically every single character arc left me feeling unfulfilled.

My feelings mirror your except I never dropped it. It's a real head scratcher of an ending that comes after what I felt was a weak last third of this manga. A shame really after a ferocious and original start and middle of the story.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 28, 2017 5:37 PM

Oct 2016
JT94 said:
Disappointing end for such an excellent manga.

I get what Kengo was going for: A "life goes on" and "realistic" kind of feel. Unfortunately with all of the questions he left unanswered it totally fell flat. Not because leaving questions unanswered is bad, but because he introduced questions and circled around them in the wrong way.

Take Kurusu talking to Hiromi for example as the queen. For us this immediately made us question why, however to Hideo, who didn't witness any of this she simply got taken away. Instead of showing us the conversation between Kurusu and Hiromi, why not just have the hivemind take her away infront of Hideo and leave us questioning why too?

No information to this would have made it all the more shocking, and impactful when we realised in this final chapter we will never find out why she was taken. Instead we have a glimpse of information which is completely useless.

I'm with the majority who think this git cancelled. It seemed rushed over the final 15 chapters roughly. I find it hard to believe Kengo wanted to end the manga like this. Something tells me he always wanted Hideo's life to go on alone, but Kengo wanted to answer the questions but couldn't.

Who knows.

The manga gets an 8 out of 10, could have been a 9 or maybe even a 10 if it didn't fall this flat. The rest of it was dope though.

I agree completely with this. Not elaborating upon major plot points was a bad idea. Hideo's character arc was the only fulfilling aspect of this ending
Mar 1, 2017 10:44 AM
Mar 2017
I think most people here are taking this manga too literal when in fact it is one big metaphor for the alienation of the modern man and mental illness. I myself felt that the ending fell short and was dissatisfying but then I took a moment and thought about how it feels when you go through mental strugles (whether it is a bad condition or light turbulence) and at the end you just feel alone and self sufficient. The relationships of the protagonist are three of the most prominent typologies of failed romantic relationships (jealousy and indiference; a wish for independence and avoidance to commit and selfishness; or just being absorbed by societies mechanisms).
What I am suggesting is broad and just a framework to think in but the more I think about the more it makes sense. And this is a perfect way to use the zombie pretext for it is just a pretext. Romero used it solely for caustic social commentary straying as much as he could from realism. TWD is horror survival which dips lightly in exploration of primal traits of human nature. And this is one big metaphor for mental illness and the fight with oneself to overcome external and internal pressure. Even the protagonist asks himself if his prior life was better only to conclude that it was not. So the fight for him was worth it comming out a hero at the end, alone and self sufficient (which truly is a hero's condition). 9/10
Mar 1, 2017 2:19 PM

Apr 2012
I loved this ending, it's perfect and is in harmony with the rest of the manga. They tried to keep doing things normally during the event, and after it stopped they continue living this normality, trying to find it, at least.
And Hideo, well, he keep living, he found this normality. I really loved it, it's just like a lot of japanese novels that I read, the story ends, but you know that the characters (or imagine) continued living (or a sense of living).
For me it's perfect, I really hope the mangaka just never enter in this universe again, this'd be perfect.
Mar 2, 2017 9:36 AM

Nov 2009
Poty-kun said:
I loved this ending, it's perfect and is in harmony with the rest of the manga. They tried to keep doing things normally during the event, and after it stopped they continue living this normality, trying to find it, at least.
And Hideo, well, he keep living, he found this normality. I really loved it, it's just like a lot of japanese novels that I read, the story ends, but you know that the characters (or imagine) continued living (or a sense of living).
For me it's perfect, I really hope the mangaka just never enter in this universe again, this'd be perfect.

I agree with you.

This last chapter did feel pretty unsatisfying to me, but that was also perfect in its own way. The fight against the ZQN is over, there's no one left in Tokyo other than Hideo (probably), nothing is gonna happen anymore. He's just living his life one day after the other, there's nothing to show. Korori is the one who got the hero/protagonist ending, not Hideo.

I Am a Hero had a very good run. Great art, scared me a lot in the first volumes, heh. 9/10

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Mar 2, 2017 1:34 PM

Aug 2016
haha ive never been so glad i didnt read a manga lol, just checked to see if the manga really did end, then went and read how it ended hahah i would be pissed if i had been keeping up with this manga for the past 8 years
Mar 3, 2017 1:27 AM

Nov 2013
Oh another "well wtf?"
inochi ga kurikaesu naraba nandomo kimi no moto e ...
... if life can be repeated, i'll go to you many times over
Mar 3, 2017 6:00 PM

Dec 2013
L m A o

(this is filler text because i have no words to describe what i just read.)
Mar 5, 2017 8:22 PM
Mar 2017
He managed to make a worse ending than Gantz. That takes skill.
Mar 6, 2017 8:21 AM

Jul 2008
The ending left me feeling sour at first, but the more I think about it the more I love it. Hideo's character arc was tremendous and the ending was the most authentic direction to take it in. At the beginning, Hideo was a dissatisfied and wholly dependent character, with dreams and desires but no courage — stuck in a rut. The ZQN pandemic forces him to confront himself and by the end, he has grown from a bumbling and introverted man-child to a self-sufficient hunter. Finally, he can look towards his future with a sort of strange optimism. Sure, it would have been nice to learn more about the origins and motives of the ZQN, but this manga was always a tale of ordinary people in an extraordinary world. It's a lot more fulfilling as an account of one man's growth through adversity than as an all-encompassing zombie epic.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Mar 6, 2017 4:34 PM
Dec 2015
What happened to the ZQN? Did it just turned into stone (or whatever) for no reason?
Mar 7, 2017 12:54 AM

Oct 2013
Ok....ok....im cool....IM COOL......FUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

FUCK I AM.A HERO AND FUCK THAT AUTHOR TOO!!! Now if it was cancelled then I get it but noooooope I don't think so.

This was fkn shite!!! Like wtf!? Nothing cleared up, no answers to anything like wtf....it wasn't even an end, its was a bullshit attempt at an open ending like come the fuck on....I spent all that time reading n this is how it ends!?

Fuuuck saaaaake!!!!! Seriously, From the beginning all the way till 170 ish when Asuda san died was fkn awesome! It was a 10/10 for me but it seriously started dropping in quality after that. He literally just said fuck it, n just added a ton of shit with no answers.

Wtf was the point in this manga!? God im so disappointed man..... Lowered it to a 6 coz fuck this piece of trash!

Wait.....*looks at poll*......who the fuck actually liked this crap!? Either theu fuckin about or they lost their mind!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 9, 2017 7:45 PM

Aug 2013
Hiromi desire to kill Hideo might have started a collapsed the concept of a single entity and it sent the ZQN into complete haywire after she forces it again to not kill him in the last second resulting In its function completely ceasing?

Kind of sad seeing him alone again in his delusion. But at least he got to live.

Who knows if he will find other people in the future; since there where clear signals of more survivors left alive.
Mar 11, 2017 11:40 AM

Oct 2012
Dullboy said:
An interesting read to try to grasp a little more of his personality is the last chapter of "8 tales of the ZQN" ("Untold Creation Story"). I think it make it clear this guy have an unusual personality.

This compilation of stories you are talking about is actually created by other authors and has almost nothing to do with the author that made this one...

As for the manga - it did seem to be lackluster with that ending, but then again, you could put a few theories in what happened, for example like the person above made - personality disorder made the whole operation cease to function.

It still leaves too much stuff unanswered.. how did the ZQN thing even begin/who is behind it (ok, we can assume it's aliens as it was told)
What exactly was the goal.. I mean unification is nice and all, but what comes after?

I could continue on but that would not be worth it. A 7/10 since it was quite enjoyable and felt like a good enough read, but that would probably be one of my weakest 7's.
Mar 11, 2017 11:57 AM

Apr 2014
Hentaicheg said:
Dullboy said:

This compilation of stories you are talking about is actually created by other authors and has almost nothing to do with the author that made this one...
Did you read the last chapter I mentioned then ? I mean, I wouldn't talk about something I haven't read, and the chapter I'm talking of is about Kengo Hanazawa and some elements of his past, as view by some peoples that know him.
So, again, it's an interesting read to have some exterior views of him and his personality (of course it's done with a layer of humor, but it still help to understand him better).
Mar 11, 2017 1:02 PM

Oct 2012
Dullboy said:
Did you read the last chapter I mentioned then ? I mean, I wouldn't talk about something I haven't read, and the chapter I'm talking of is about Kengo Hanazawa and some elements of his past, as view by some peoples that know him.
So, again, it's an interesting read to have some exterior views of him and his personality (of course it's done with a layer of humor, but it still help to understand him better).

Heh, seems like I read all but last one somehow, so I have been wondering why did you mention the author at all, that explains it.
Now that I think about it - he sure seems like a complete replica of MC.. that's a bit lame in it's own way to be honest. And that didn't really explain much.. I was kind of presuming the MC, like always, is similar to mangaka, at least in a way.. but this author really made almost 1:1 copy of himself.
Mar 11, 2017 6:47 PM

May 2013
Loved this manga,but could have ended better.
Mar 17, 2017 11:35 AM

Dec 2015
on one side, it sucks that we didn't get a better explanation of the whole ZQN affair

on the other side, it's a perfect ending to hideo's journey, very similar to ressentiment's ending, one last gut punch from the author, and well if there's one reason to love Hanazawa it's for the unbrindled punches he throws at you, so...

now if someone could finally translate boys on the run's ending too...
Mar 19, 2017 4:05 AM

Aug 2012
Why is it when the story is about the zombie there is no proper explanation and ending on it.

Still I love this manga but it is kinda sad that Hideo is left alone like that.

PS: how come did granny became young at chapter 262

9/10
Mar 21, 2017 10:26 PM
Aug 2014
What a disaster of an ending
I always expected that there was some big story goal that everything was building up to, but in the end it was just random bs
honestly for the most part i thought this was 9/10
With that conclusion it dropped to something of a 5-6ish
Mar 26, 2017 8:23 PM

Dec 2009
Just got back to this series to see what's new since I knew that translation goes slow, when I notice in MAL that it finished. I was like "What???" Binge read the 19 chapters that I had left.

I'm feeling confused. I mean, up to the last 5 chapters I was really baffled as to how it can even end so fast. Then, the time skip threw me off. Since the helicopter flies out and Hideo is engulfed in a ball, and then it just jumps to half a year later. I mean, we look over the fact of where did the helicopter land and where did they get food, but Hideo was doomed. If Hiromi saved him, then how?

It seems like the author wants to tell us that once the last potential victims escaped, the virus just died out - the mass of human bodies and brains just turned to stone. All the thing about "becoming one" was really just "becoming one with death", cleaning the Earth of the humans. As a leader Hiromi spared Hideo and Kurusu's helped those guys escape so that they could repopulate the Earth.

So, in the end:
1) Hideo is surviving somehow, but no help will be coming, and he will die alone someday, spending maybe about another 30 years of his life alone (if he'll manage to grow/find food and not get killed by boars).
2) The group managed to find a great place, Korori and the now-young auntie will be the ones repopulating the Earth (incestuously) little by little. Happy end only for them.
Apr 2, 2017 7:36 AM
Feb 2014
It made sense as an ending to the series. Hideo talks about on the boat to his imaginary friend how he ran away from everything. I agree it's sort of disappointing but it's realistic the interesting part of the story is the outbreak of the disease and surviving the onslaught of either monsters or crazy people while trying to keep some semblance of humanity and protecting or just trying to keep what's important to you. Now Hideo has survived he is simply living out his life hunting and surviving. looking at the last final pages where he says "but even so...Bring it on...My Life" and that's just what he's gonna do, take on his life head on and live.
Apr 10, 2017 7:00 AM
Mar 2017
Damn.... that was a "slap-in-the-face ending" i mean.... wth? rlly?
At least he could have explained why there was a big ass uterus in the Sagrada Familia, lol.
However ZQN was a virus cause, an alien invasion????? Hideo was infected?????
We will never know... very sad ending, at least Hideo could have start a journey around the world searching for survivors, or just became the king of his own empire..... pfff
Apr 20, 2017 1:08 PM
Nov 2015
I'm really torn right now... On the one hand, it's the perfect end for Hideo's character arc but on the other... It felt a bit... rushed.

We never learn what happened to the guy with the boat for example, we don't know what happened to the little girl who escaped with that random Kurusu(?) either... I guess the aliens just decided to use the girl who got rejuvenated for breeding instead? Also what happened to that group is just... bizarre. Frankly I'd the last we see of them was when that guy says Hideo was his hero, would've made for one hell of a book end.

Also why the fuck did the 3 Kurusu's fuse into one entity? How does that even work? And more importantly, what even are Kurusus?

I guess that's okay in a sense, not everything HAS to be resolved, but at the same time it feels as if this series had done a really good job so far in tying loose ends so it's kinda out of place...

The one thing that really bothers me though is how Hideo completely forgets WHY he was chasing that giant ZQN, you know, to save the girl. Never one does he mention it, he just decides to shoot it, and he doesn't think much of it afterwards... I mean, it's not like there was anything else he could do but some inner monologue about it would've been nice.
Apr 28, 2017 9:20 AM

Apr 2010
Well, we can conclude that the obective of the ZQN was to reboot planet Earth by eliminating the humans. Was it caused by Aliens, a Virus or the Earth itself? We will never know.

And yeah, the huge "uterus and penises" walking around the cities didn' make much sense in the end, since no new species were born in the world. The kurusus and queens were the human masterminds chosen to do the reboot aparently, but again, we can only especulate.

About the characters, Hideo's conclusion was really disappointing and anticlimatic. He didn't deserve it, and I can't see quite well the moral that the author tried to tell us here. One thing that always bothered me, was how Hideo was so delusional in the first chapter, and that never was really explored through the story. Again, we can only speculate.

I think that would be a better ending if the whole thing was in Hideo's mind lol

An awkward ending for a great manga. 8/10
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 228 Discussion

AcceleratorAngel - Jun 23, 2016

10 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 8:44 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 210 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13, 2016

8 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 7:51 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 207 Discussion

Stark700 - May 10, 2016

12 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 7:44 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 1 Discussion

Lamii - Oct 27, 2011

17 by Ani_sama423 »»
Mar 16, 10:24 AM

» official digital release when?

HibiChika - Feb 23

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
Feb 23, 6:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.