Forum Settings
Forums

How long do you think the windup of an anime should be?

New
Aug 3, 2015 6:37 PM
Aug 2015
I would say around 20% of the episodes would be my max tolerance, thats why i still haven't watched Hitman Reborn yet, the wind up is too long
Aug 3, 2015 6:41 PM

Feb 2013
I like my windup big like in Big Windup
Aug 3, 2015 9:38 PM
Jul 2018
What is that?
Aug 3, 2015 9:39 PM
Dec 2011
At least 60%
Aug 3, 2015 9:44 PM
Aug 2015
CharlRosso said:
What is that?
Its the amount of time an anime takes to get good and get over the preperation
Aug 3, 2015 9:49 PM

Mar 2015
depend on how it build and how the atmosphare buildng on it until you get used by it. gintama and steins;gate are perfect example. slow progression, build atmosphare bit by bit.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 4, 2015 12:05 AM

Feb 2015
Philneo said:
CharlRosso said:
What is that?

The word (phrase?) 'wind-up'' is often used to refer to how something ends, or sometimes to refer to making someone angry. 'Build-up' is a more familiar 'word' that means what you were trying to say.

I think it depends on the length of the series and how much they can do with the plot devices and characters they've set in motion. Steins;Gate gets away with having a really long build-up because of the huge amount of potential they have to go places with it once it gets going.

Meanwhile, something like Death Parade starts with what could function perfectly as a stand-alone episode. The plot devices are basic, and do run out of steam after a while, but that's fine. They built it up quickly and, with no grand reveal on the horizon, let it run its course and ended it there.

The best example is when a series manages to have independent and conclusive story arcs in each individual episode, but still has something that it's building towards throughout the series as a whole. I'm looking at you, Tatami Galaxy.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Aug 4, 2015 12:16 AM

Nov 2014
Shinsekai Yori took a lot of time building up. I'd say it was worth every time.
As long as it's good when shit finally gets started, You can take up to 80% of the show.

Gakkou Gurashi is still building up, yet it's fukking gr8.

Aug 4, 2015 2:30 AM

Dec 2013
Depends how long the series. But normally around 3-4 episodes.
Aug 4, 2015 2:31 AM

Mar 2015
AzureDaora said:
Shinsekai Yori took a lot of time building up. I'd say it was worth every time.
As long as it's good when shit finally gets started, You can take up to 80% of the show.

Shinsekai Yori's windup was very engaging and interesting in its own right. The whole show was enjoyable to watch.
Aug 4, 2015 2:35 AM

Jun 2014
It really depends on the series. For a long runner I will give more episodes.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 4, 2015 2:36 AM

Jul 2013
I don't really care how long it takes as long as it doesn't waste the episode on stupid stuff and keeps things at least somewhat interesting.
Aug 4, 2015 4:58 AM

May 2015
icirate said:
Philneo said:

The word (phrase?) 'wind-up'' is often used to refer to how something ends, or sometimes to refer to making someone angry. 'Build-up' is a more familiar 'word' that means what you were trying to say.

I think it depends on the length of the series and how much they can do with the plot devices and characters they've set in motion. Steins;Gate gets away with having a really long build-up because of the huge amount of potential they have to go places with it once it gets going.

Meanwhile, something like Death Parade starts with what could function perfectly as a stand-alone episode. The plot devices are basic, and do run out of steam after a while, but that's fine. They built it up quickly and, with no grand reveal on the horizon, let it run its course and ended it there.

The best example is when a series manages to have independent and conclusive story arcs in each individual episode, but still has something that it's building towards throughout the series as a whole. I'm looking at you, Tatami Galaxy.

I found Steins Gate to be very entertaining even in its 'build up' episode.

It doesn't matter how long it takes for the series to set the stage. What's important is that they don't use it as an excuse for low quality episode. The effort shouldn't be put only in the climax. It should be spread evenly across all episodes, so even if it's anticlimatic like Soul Eater it's still worth watching.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 4, 2015 5:29 AM

Apr 2013
I don't care how long it is as long as it is entertaining :)
If the episodes are on the boring side though... I am willing to watch 3-4 episodes for one cour shows and 6-7 episodes for 2 cour shows. If it doesn't pickup by then,I drop the show or put it on hold.
Aug 4, 2015 5:36 AM

Jun 2015
If the anime is around 15 or 25 episodes total, then 40%-50%. I think it's more dependent on the number of episodes rather than the percentage. About 10 episodes of windup is good for me.
Aug 4, 2015 5:41 AM

Mar 2015
I give it 1 episode if there's 11-13 , 2 episodes if there's 21-25 and 3-5 if the anime is any longer.

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

24 by EverRealm »»
2 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 9 hours ago

28 by Jackson1333 »»
4 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by Piromysl »»
8 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

58 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 34 minutes ago

3 by KittenCuddler »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.