Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is autism a deal breaker?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 11, 2016 6:41 PM

Mar 2009
@pkKodama

It wasn't nice. Going up to someone and telling them that a part of their identity is imaginary is never nice regardless of if you pretend it is.
Nov 11, 2016 7:26 PM

Nov 2013
Claptrap said:
@pkKodama

It wasn't nice. Going up to someone and telling them that a part of their identity is imaginary is never nice regardless of if you pretend it is.

I thought you were "not in the mood to try to wax philosophical" with me?
Well, I'm an open minded person. I always want to think positively when judging people, instead of seeing a problem in someone else I want to believe that there's a better reason for why she is like that. And I call it a pity that you are coming to a forum to confess that you have a brain disorder. I don't call that positive thinking, there's nothing good about having any brain disorder, so I just wanted to tell you that you should think about other possibilities instead of talking it as your identity.
It's up to you if you like to consider that brain disorder(autism) as your "identity". Personally I wouldn't recommend you to do so since I believe that your brain is probably much better than the brain of people who kill and torture and yet are not diagnosed with any brain disorder. But you can think whatever you want.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Nov 11, 2016 7:53 PM

Mar 2009
@pkKodama

I think you don't know a lot about autism. Yes, I'm autistic and I'm confident about it. Being autistic is a neutral condition for me - you struggle with some social cues, communication issues and sensory issues but there isn't anything bad about being autistic. The issue is that the world is built for people who aren't autistic. I'm just one autistic person, so people will have different views on it though. For me, the way non-autistic people view autism is their own issue. Ever since I was diagnosed I have been able to get access to resources that help me as someone who is different, not bad.

I don't normally talk about this on the forum. In fact, I have been on this site since 2009 and never openly discussed my autism on MAL for good reason. There is a large stigma here. I'm not 'confessing' something. I was briefly opening up about my experiences. I'm autistic, I'm dating someone who's autistic, and I'm very happy with that. We mesh well on a number of subjects. We share similar experiences.

You confuse things. By saying that someone with a brain disorder should be someone who is 'bad'... is wrong. People who kill people and torture people don't have brain disorders, and people who have brain disorders are often perfectly good people I'd be happy to call friends.

You make a mistake by assuming me openly talking about my autism is self-hatred or something like it. Regardless of whether I was diagnosed, a lot of my childhood was characterized by being different from my peers. When I was diagnosed a lot made sense and fell into place. I was able to find people who had similar experiences. I was able to find people who related. It doesn't help people for them to know less about themselves. My parents, for many years hid the fact that they thought I might be autistic under a similar misguided notion to your own: that it was for my sake, that it was better for me to not find similarities in that label.

The similarities exist regardless of whether I acknowledge them or not. Pretending I'm not autistic does me no benefit.

Honestly I just grew very exhausted when I saw your response. I have never talked about this on MAL, and of course, the first response I get is trying to debate with me. It's unpleasant for me. I dislike the tone of someone pretending to be nice. It's false.
Nov 11, 2016 9:12 PM

Mar 2014
Claptrap said:
riku said:
The politically correct term would be a person with autism, not an autistic person. You have to put the person beforehand (according to my governments education program.)

I wouldn't, and that's not saying that I have them. I just have a preference against dating them.

Actually among the autistic community, people tend to use the term 'autistic person'. I think there's a gap between the administration and actual autistic people.

Honestly the best relationship I've ever had was w other autistic people. I'm autistic myself, as well. I'm really happy with my relationship.

It wasn't meant to be too serious. It was just a random tidbit that I thought of when posting. :3
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Nov 11, 2016 10:21 PM

Nov 2013
Claptrap said:
I dislike the tone of someone pretending to be nice. It's false.

Actually I just read the last sentence and no. I'm not being false.
Claptrap said:
Pretending I'm not autistic does me no benefit.

Pretending you are autistic and wanting people to treat you like someone special instead of seriously trying to improve your skills is what does you no benefit.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Nov 11, 2016 10:27 PM

Nov 2016
if they have a nice personality can communicate and do basic things why not...?
Nov 11, 2016 10:52 PM

Mar 2009
@pkKodama

You had no interest in reading what I wrote. Your response clearly shows that. You do not think anyone could have a different life experience to you. You have no interest in learning anything about the subject, and even your replies show you have malicious intent behind them. Dishonest people like you who keep up a facade of friendliness while dismissing people are my least favourite kind of people. The conversation is done.
Nov 11, 2016 10:55 PM

Mar 2014
I have Aspergers myself

So sure (although I wouldn't date someone with full blown autism)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 11, 2016 11:33 PM
Mar 2013
pkKodama said:
Pretending you are autistic and wanting people to treat you like someone special instead of seriously trying to improve your skills is what does you no benefit.

Sweetheart, Booksies here ain't got nothing to improve. They're already /perfect./

Go improve your basic decency. Too much time has been wasted trying to educate you already, and clearly none of it's sticking.
Nov 11, 2016 11:35 PM

Nov 2008
MAL really loves that word, doesn't it?

I don't know. Maybe. I don't know autism well.

Nov 11, 2016 11:36 PM

Aug 2015
I have no idea, I still think about it.

Nov 11, 2016 11:45 PM

Nov 2013
Claptrap said:
@pkKodama

You had no interest in reading what I wrote. Your response clearly shows that. You do not think anyone could have a different life experience to you. You have no interest in learning anything about the subject, and even your replies show you have malicious intent behind them. Dishonest people like you who keep up a facade of friendliness while dismissing people are my least favourite kind of people. The conversation is done.

I have no idea with what kind of intonation you read my message to think I have any malicious intent. You are not the first accusing me of being false/trolling when I'm actually being serious. Is it because of my signature and avatar? Should I change them? I was genuinely trying to be nice in my first reply since I thought your message was sad so I wanted to help you. My last Message wasn't just as nice because I didn't like how you are using a disability to excuse yourself.
It's true I didn't even want to read your last message because only the last sentence saying "It's false" was what caught my eyes, so I didn't want to read a whole text that would probably be filled with insults coming from someone who said "f.u." to me when I was trying to help. But then I reconsidered it and read your message and unfortunately I found out that I really don't like your point of view.
― Saint Augustine
Nov 12, 2016 12:54 AM

Feb 2014
depends how like stable they are and if theyre able to control it
Nov 12, 2016 11:49 AM

Nov 2014
I never had a chance to get to know autistic person better, but I have some weird interests, so who knows...
Nov 12, 2016 12:00 PM

Feb 2016
No I wouldn't because being in a relationship is already stressful enough as it is, although that sounds kinda heartless I can't give him consideration all the time and at some point I also want to have a family and I can't do it with someone who doesn't understand basic human feelings
Nov 12, 2016 12:06 PM

Aug 2013
It isn't necessarily a deal breaker. There is a whole spectrum of various levels of autism, ranging from mild to severe cases of it. Lots of people with Aspergers for example are often highly functional people, and I wouldn't mind it if my partner had it one bit. However, I do not know if I'd have the strength to care for somebody that was so autistic that they would need help with literally anything.
Nov 12, 2016 3:57 PM

Sep 2015
pkKodama said:
Claptrap said:
@pkKodama

I have no idea with what kind of intonation you read my message to think I have any malicious intent. You are not the first accusing me of being false/trolling when I'm actually being serious. Is it because of my signature and avatar? Should I change them? I was genuinely trying to be nice in my first reply since I thought your message was sad so I wanted to help you. My last Message wasn't just as nice because I didn't like how you are using a disability to excuse yourself.
It's true I didn't even want to read your last message because only the last sentence saying "It's false" was what caught my eyes, so I didn't want to read a whole text that would probably be filled with insults coming from someone who said "f.u." to me when I was trying to help. But then I reconsidered it and read your message and unfortunately I found out that I really don't like your point of view.

so if there was a person with no legs, then you'd tell them to stop excusing themselves from avoiding walking? or perhaps a more similar example to the original point, a person with schizophrenia should stop excusing themselves from seeing things? like it or not, autism is a mental disorder, with physical errors in the brain that prevent the regular social functioning of a person. that doesn't prevent you from improving, but an important step in improving is recognising you have the problem and not denying it

OT: yes, i would, as long as it isnt too serious. after all, im autistic myself and get along well with other autists
Nov 12, 2016 5:02 PM

Jun 2015
yeah, im pretty autistic myself so I probably would
Nov 12, 2016 7:01 PM

Nov 2013
thegreatnathyboy said:
like it or not, autism is a mental disorder, with physical errors in the brain that prevent the regular social functioning of a person

The problem is, that there's no medical examination able to prove showing that there is indeed an error in the brain. People diagnosed with autism/aspergers are at the mercy of the opinion of a psychiatrist, since, unlike schizophrenia, there isn't any visible error in their brains by taking an x-ray picture of it.
That's why I think it's wrong to compare it to someone having no leg or someone with schizophrenia, because these can actually be proven to exist, while autism cannot, and it only depends on what psychiatrists think about you, and they don't know about every little experience you had in your life that turned you into what you are, and then they stamp you with a problem because it's convenient for their work. Many psychologists defend what I'm saying. I'm not the only one saying it, because psychologists are open minded people who judge people for what they are, unlike psychiatrists.
― Saint Augustine
Nov 13, 2016 5:45 AM

Sep 2015
pkKodama said:
thegreatnathyboy said:
like it or not, autism is a mental disorder, with physical errors in the brain that prevent the regular social functioning of a person

The problem is, that there's no medical examination able to prove showing that there is indeed an error in the brain. People diagnosed with autism/aspergers are at the mercy of the opinion of a psychiatrist, since, unlike schizophrenia, there isn't any visible error in their brains by taking an x-ray picture of it.
That's why I think it's wrong to compare it to someone having no leg or someone with schizophrenia, because these can actually be proven to exist, while autism cannot, and it only depends on what psychiatrists think about you, and they don't know about every little experience you had in your life that turned you into what you are, and then they stamp you with a problem because it's convenient for their work. Many psychologists defend what I'm saying. I'm not the only one saying it, because psychologists are open minded people who judge people for what they are, unlike psychiatrists.

i got my diagnosis for autism from the NHS, so im not sure how the state of psychiatry is there

but the effects of autism certainly are visible, even though the effects on the brain are less evidence and more tendencies. autism definitely has an effect on my behaviour in social interactions. i actually agree on your point on trying to work on improving yourself though
Nov 13, 2016 8:23 AM

Dec 2015
PhantomL said:
I have aspegers syndrome which is a form of autism... so yes, probably would, but again it depends as i know i wouldn't be able to handle someone with the really really severe type

I have both aspergers and autism so yeah imo it really depends on the person in general
hi
Jan 8, 2019 9:46 PM

Dec 2012
Depends how severe it is. If it's mild, like the main character of "Atypical", it actually seems preferable to regular people and their constant search for drama and social norms/overinterpreting everything I say, and expecting me to do the same. If it's the kind of autism that makes them act like a toddler at all times, then no thank you. I don't like toddlers of any age.
Jan 8, 2019 10:19 PM

Jun 2015
I have in the past. autism is very wholesome. thats a big yes from me
Jan 8, 2019 10:26 PM

Jan 2017
Maybe.

I cannot give a definite answer for an open-ended question.
Jan 9, 2019 1:19 AM

Mar 2008
KRKodama said:
thegreatnathyboy said:

I'm fully aware this is an old post from years ago but I didn't bump the thread. I normally ignore these but you still log into MAL so im just going to say this just isn't correct. For one thing mental illnesses and developmental disabilities are rarely diagnosed with brain scan even when the physical traits are known. Which is unfortunate. For another autism does have a known brain pattern. For another its MRI or cat scan not X ray. Xray is for hard tissues not soft tissues in detail.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100810203505.htm
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms11254

Also there is other evidence that suggests autism is a type of autoimmune disorder that effects the brain due to how it's immune responce works.
Jan 9, 2019 1:23 AM

Jul 2016
I though that Everyone on this website was autistic!
Jan 9, 2019 1:27 AM
Jul 2018
Doesn't matter what the person suffers from, what matters is their personality and character.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

21 by Taiyaa »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 5 hours ago

10 by BitChilly »»
9 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 11 hours ago

9 by tsukareru »»
56 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

39 by ProGoddess »»
2 hours ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

25 by KitsuFrost »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.